Back by popular demand: The return of The News Tribune NFL weekly pick ‘em

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:39 am with 25 Comments »
September 3, 2014 9:39 am

I’ve had some requests on here to bring back the weekly game picks contest on the Seahawks Insider blog. So it’s back.

I set it up through the espn.com Pigskin Pick ‘Em site. The page is here. Click the red “Join Group” tab on the bottom right. I’ve named our group “The News Tribune pick ‘em.”

As I understand it, the way it works is you need a user name and password on espn.com to play. Nothing else. It’s free. Then you click through the groups list to join “The News Tribune pick ‘em” group. Then go under the “My Entry” tab to pick each week’s games. You can set your account to receive an e-mail reminder to make your picks each week. Remember, there’s a Thursday night game each week of this regular season, so have it by Thursday afternoon each week.

So everyone who always, sometimes or even never (except this very moment) reads here, join in! I’ll come up with something at the end of the season for the winner — something absolutely stupendous, I’m sure of it. And I’ll share my picks each week before the games begin.

No money wagering, please. At least not that I know about. Fun and bragging rights — and the stupendous gift at season’s end — are what’s at stake here.

Let me know if you have any issues getting it started, or if I’ve messed something up getting our “league” established on that site. Thanks and best of luck trying to best me(!)

1. Southendzone says:

I suppose I will play, even though Yankita is 95% likely to win, I can aim for 2nd place

2. You’re not goin bail like E did last year after I won are you? Just playin’, it’s all good.

3. doubledink says:

As Todd said last year, “it gives you something else to impress your wife with that she cares nothing about”.

4. doubledink says:

Gregg has given us a new thread so fight nice

5. I’m surprised nobody is talking about the NFL Films piece that aired yesterday about the LOB. Did anybody see it? Did you know they have otters at the Woodland Park Zoo called the LOB? When you throw a football into the water they all swarm it..

6. Ray_Maines says:

TruBlu had 168 correct guess last year and I somehow didn’t get into the right group but had 159 good guesses in a different group. This year I’m in and I’m up for the challenge. Get the trophy ready and spell my name right.

This week I’m pretty much in alignment with the majority of voters, except I’m picking the Ravens & Rams. Best of luck to all of us.

7. ET plays the saxophone. A little drums. Joe Buck called him the Prince of the NFL. Byron can’t sing but he has talent with the ladies.. He likes the big girls. (according to ET)

8. 2 more Seahawks shows on today..
    9.3 2013 Yearbook 11am NFLN
    9.3 Americas Game 5pm NFLN

9. FleaFlicker says:

Wish Yankinta would post his picks. With 95% accuracy, some good money to be made betting for real! JK.

But going back to a Yankinta prediction….Russell Wilson paying 25:1 for league MVP. Get your money in now, people!

10. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

i took the boys to beat the Whiners and start the decline

11. NFL Kicks Off With Soundgarden, Pharrell, Ariana Grande..

The defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks kick off the 2014-15 NFL season on September 4 against the Green Bay Packers, and the league is giving them a proper coronation.

Pharrell Williams and native sons Soundgarden will perform at a free concert held outside Seattle’s CenturyLink Field – where the 12th Man is always “Happy” – and Ariana Grande will sing the National Anthem before the ‘Hawks and the Pack take the field (that part isn’t free).

12. Traffic is going to be total insanity.

Still, I wish I was there; I’d love to see Soundgarden, especially for free. I had tickets for their last tour in Seattle, but through a mix-up in communication, my wife offered my ticket to here friend, who gladly accepted.(She was supposed to ask her friend to be a fallback if I couldnt get the time off work, instead she just gave the ticket away lol!). Rather than be a jerk, I let her friend keep the ticket and they had a great Ladies Night Out. I got to hang out with my kid and eat pizza though, so not too bad…

Soundgarden and the Seahawks go pretty good together…

13. yankinta says:

lol,, thanks FleaFlicker and Southendzone.. But I only picks those teams that I know about based on doing research and watching them on TV. :) I don’t know about all 32 teams well enough to pick every games. If I did, I wouldn’t be 95% correct… :)

But for Green Bay game, I’m picking Seattle by over 20 points… 42-14. But if Eddie Lacy has more than 85 yards, then it’ll be a closer game but we should still win comfortably.

As for other games,, Here are my picks,

Saints over Falcons,
    Broncos over Colts,
    Charger over Cardinals
    Rams over Vikings

here are my semi-picks that I’m not sure about..
    Titans over Chiefs
    Texans over Redskins

14. yankinta says:

lol,, thanks FleaFlicker and Southendzone.. But I only picks those teams that I know about based on doing research and watching them on TV. :) I don’t know about all 32 teams well enough to pick every games. So if I did try to pick those games, I wouldn’t be 95% correct… :)

As for other games,, Here are my picks,

Saints over Falcons,
    Broncos over Colts,
    Charger over Cardinals
    Rams over Vikings

here are my semi-picks that I’m not sure about..
    Titans over Chiefs
    Texans over Redskins

15. FleaFlicker says:

Yank, I like your predictions, but for a couple:

–Rams over Vikings…Norv Turner offense against a really good defense, but where do the Rams get their points?

–Texans over Redskins…hard to have any conviction on that game at all

16. RDPoulsbo says:

Testing…does TNT still think my IP address is a spam bot?

17. RDPoulsbo says:

Great! Back in business…

I usually do fairly well in the Pigskin Pick ‘em until the end of the season when I try to press for upsets to move up the ranks only to backfire on me.

Sadly, I can’t go to the concert because of work and probably wouldn’t be able to get back home until halftime. Might just have to hang out in Seattle to watch the game before heading home.

18. RD–You have a legit excuse to drink beer and watch the game in Seattle?! And you arent excited about that?! Sounds like fun to me!

Im driving 70 miles to watch the game on a big projector at a Rock and Roll bar…the owner is reportedly a Packers Fan, should be fun lol!

19. HawkfaninMT says:

Where is that at Slave?

I would have done better last season but I was drunk too many times & missed picking some of the Thursday games.

I doubt I could do any better now.
    Lol.

21. HawkfaninMT–The Top Hat in Missoula. Are you gonna go?!

22. Georgia–WHile there’s something to be said about Drunk Luck (not the Andrew variety), I bet you do much better sober. And by the way, congrats on your continuing sobriety. Im really happy for you, and I know it will make a big positive in your life…

23. It’s easy to over think some games!!!