“Game”day in Oakland. Final Seahawks jobs to be determined tonight: “There’s stuff that’s in the balance”

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:46 am with 88 Comments »
August 28, 2014 8:46 am

The starters won’t get much more than a cameo, if that, tonight in Oakland. But the Seahawks have some issues to settle behind those guys in the final exhibition game before the opener against Green Bay a week from tonight at CenturyLink Field.

“This is a big final step for us … a lot of guys with opportunities. A lot of guys battling for spots,” coach Pete Carroll said. “It’s a highly competitive final opportunity. So it’s a big deal for us.

“We are hoping to show gives and (give) them the opportunity to make this club.”

Leave it “Always Compete” Pete to charge up a final exhibition game with his favorite c-word.

“There’s stuff that’s in the balance,” he said. “There are competitions in spots for guys where it’s one or the other.”

Such as at weak-side defensive end in pass-rush situations. A specialized job, to be sure. And no Seahawk has been more special at it this month than five-year veteran O’Brien Schofield. I wrote in Wednesday’s News Tribune why Schofield is flying into opposing backfields seemingly unblocked. He’s scorned, with an $8 million free-agent payday taken from him this spring. He wants another chance at free agency after this one-year, veteran-minimum contract worth $730,000 ends after this season. He’s been better this preseason than Benson Mayowa, last year’s training-camp star as an undrafted rookie out of Idaho. Tonight is Mayowa’s last chance to take the job from Schofield in what I see as one of those “one or the other” spots Carroll mentioned.

I wrote in today’s TNT about what most of you will notice most tonight: How much Terrelle Pryor does in his return to Oakland to make the Seahawks keep three quarterbacks on the regular-season roster. I’m with those of you on here who raise an eye at Pryor saying this week that he plain wasn’t ready to go into the exhibition last week against Chicago in the fourth quarter. Not what coaches want to here at the position that requires the most preparation on the team, especially given that being prepared to enter on no notice in worst-case scenarios is the only scenario in which Pryor would enter a game this season for Seattle. I still sense they keep three QBs when they announce the final cuts Saturday afternoon.

Other players getting a final chance to make the team tonight:

–WR Bryan Walters from Kirkland comes back from a rib injury that kept him out last week. He hurt those ribs impressing Carroll and teammates by running like a mad man into San Diego Chargers on punt returns two weeks ago. Carroll said Walters, the Ivy League’s career punt-return leader at Cornell, is available tonight to return punts and kickoffs. To me, the Seahawks really wouldn’t mind someone to emerge at punt returner to keep them from having All-Pro safety Earl Thomas as their primary man back there. I believe the risk of putting Thomas back there is too imprudent to try when the games get real, but then again Carroll is all about putting his best athletes wherever they will help the team most, regardless of risk.

–WR Phil Bates. If they keep Walters, it could come at the expense of Bates. Something’s got to give at this loaded position, and I just can’t see the Seahawks not keeping Ricardo Lockette. He’s too valuable making booming tackles on special teams, the kind of example Carroll can point to in the film room and tell his young players who may be grousing about not getting snaps on offense and defense, “See, this is how you carve out a place with us. Look at his dedication and effort covering these kickoffs and punts!” That goes a long way into building competition at every position, and that is Lockette’s worth beyond how many snaps he ever gets at wide receiver.

–Former Raider Phillip Adams at cornerback. Adams had a rough start to August, repeatedly getting beaten deep in practices and some in the early exhibition games. But he’s come on lately, and now veteran CB A.J. Jefferson is out for a long time with a major ankle injury and starting nickel back Jeremy Lane is out indefinitely with a groin strain (that Carroll doesn’t think is serious). The door is open for Adams to bull through and onto the roster with a big showing tonight against his old team.

–Seattle claimed C Patrick Lewis off waivers Wednesday from Jacksonville. He essentially has a two-day trial ending tonight to become a backup-center option behind Max Unger. That would free Lemuel Jeanpierre to play more guard, where he has worked more this month. Lewis’ arrival suggests the Seahawks aren’t yet sold on Stephen Schilling of Bellevue in his move from guard to center this month.

–Columnist Dave Boling writes today in the paper that the NFL’s fine and penalties are worth it to the Seahawks to continue practicing the ways the always have under Carroll — and that the rest of the teams in the league would gladly pay this price to get their players to work at this level.

–Lots of good suggestions on what to ask Marshawn Lynch when he is scheduled to talk to the media on Tuesday for the first time since the Super Bowl. Initially I solicited questions kind of tongue-in-cheek, but some have made me laugh and some have made me think.

–I’ll be on another of our live game chats from the Oakland Coliseum (I will always call it that) press box tonight beginning at 6:30 p.m. on thenewstribune.com/sports. Join Seahawks fans everywhere in the conversation.

1. beavercleaver says:

I want to see Pryor pass. Even when pressured. Everyone already knows he can run, but can he do more then the 1 read and run routine. If he ever has to play for an extended period other teams will scheme against his run. He needs to show he can do more than that to be worth keeping.

2. ChrisHolmes says:

I really thought Seattle would keep Pryor as a 3rd QB, with an eye on the future backup role after TJack’s contract expired this season. But given the comments about not being prepared, I think tonight is moot; I expect the club to move on from him. If you’re not prepared for a preseason game, if you’re not chomping at the bit to get into a game and show you’re stuff, then you’re not right for this club.

And yeah, I know you can write it “champing at the bit”, but “champing” is dead outside of the idiomatic use.

3. It will be interesting to see how Schofield does when the games count. I wouldn’t think it would be too hard to impress in practices since our tackles are terrible with Okung being out so much of camp. I’m not as high as some are on Alvin Bailey. In fact, I think Alvin of Chipmunks fame could do better in pass pro than some of our tackles. I’m not high on Britt the 2014 version (mainly the guy protecting Wilson when he drops back), but I am excited about the 2015 and beyond Britt. That does Wilson little good in the now though. However, I am cautiously optimistic Schofield will have a good year. I’d be pretty ticked too if I thought I had an $8 million deal and then it was swept away from me.

Win Forever.

I think Pryor makes the team. Same with Lockette. ST are so important and Lockette is so good that I can’t fathom he would be cut.

4. Nice post Gregg! I wonder if the facts that the Packers are out their starting center, they had Patrick Lewis on their squad for most of 2013, and we play them next Thursday had any effect on us picking him up now. I never thought of the angle about freeing Lem up to move over.

I think they’ll keep Pryor, but I hope they don’t. It’s all about the ball… Let’s just move on.

5. Ive been vocal all offseason and preseason that Seattle will keep Pryor. But now Im not sure. Two reasons for the uncertainty now; 1) His ridiculous and immature admission that he wasnt ready to go into the game last week. I dont care how “unprepared” he was (and thats a problem all its own), he was going against fourth string scrubs and should have managed a better showing. 2) Injuries. With Seattle seemingly ready to keep Lockette even though he is wildly inconsistent at WR (drops) due to his ST play, Seattle may be wanting to keep 6 WR’s. They want to keep Norwood and have made it plain he’s shown enough to earn a spot; but he’s injured. If they decide to keep him off IR (at least for awhile) this makes it harder to keep that last WR spot that should be Walters. Walters is a guy you just know Carrol wants to win the punt return job from ET. I know I do.

Also, with Lane hurting, Adams becomes our only nickel back and there isnt a spot for him if Shead and Johnson are on the team. And they are. Parks was showing well too….If we need to keep Adams, his spot has to come from somewhere, and the most likely place is the third qb.

Wonder what will happen?

I am convinced that Seattle will go with only 8 or 9 OL rather than the 10 in past years. Whey keep a bunch of guys when none of them are ready to contribute much in real games? Those spots are needed at other position groups. Schilling is toast in my book. He played C all last year, but has looked bad to me at both C and G. At some point, your actual play matters more than your physical stats; you either are getting the job done or you arent. Schilling aint.

6. Mayowa may be toast. They may hope to scoot him to the PS. I dont think he’ll make it, but he looks slower this year than last. so who knows? His spot is needed to backup Lane and we’re still a spot short if we keep Pryor…

Roster Roullette…glad Im not making those decisions.

7. ChrisHolmes says:

Can Seattle put Norwood on the PUP list to start the season?

8. chuck_easton says:

Then we get a very short day and a half before Seattle has to cut 23 guys before 1PM Saturday.

The big surprises are going to be WR, DL, OL. I think pretty much every other position is already set.

9. chuck_easton says:

ChrisHolmes,

Short answer NO.

Long answer, he was on the 90 man active roster to start training camp, and he practiced at least one day.

Only players that were on the PUP list for all of training camp can be put onto the regular season PUP list.

The ONLY player eligible for PUP would be Irvin.

10. I still don’t understand wanting Pryor on the team. He’s shown nothing. No good passes, no good decisions under pressure. I will never understand the hype. I think he’s awful….

11. JohnnyBGood says:

Pete didn’t get where he is by demanding players never make a mistake. He demands they correct their mistakes. A guy like Pryor doesn’t have much experience being a backup. It’s easy to understand why he wouldn’t be ready to sub in the 4th quarter of an exhibition game. It would be dumb to cut a guy for that especially when he publicly admitted it. Pete’s not dumb.

12. chuck_easton says:

Pinkins was already placed on reserve/NFI which has similar rules to PUP but it make the specific distinction that the player suffered the injury in a non NFL activity. In Pinkins case he suffered the injury in college.

The only real difference between reserve/PUP and reserve/NFI is the team COULD (but usually don’t) choose to withhold regular season pay and bonuses from a player on NFI. They can’t do that with a player on PUP.

13. doubledink says:

The last preseason game is always interesting for us armchair GMs and those who like to see the ‘potential’ guys try to become the next gem under a rock.

It gives us fodder for when we are “sitting around killing groceries and telling lies”.

That quote was for Bobbyk. He might recognize it.

14. RDPoulsbo says:

I really don’t care whether Pryor is on the team or not. He’ll be a 3rd string QB and won’t sniff the field of play. If he’s being groomed to take over T-Jack’s spot next year, then fine but there’d need to be a contract extension somewhere. For me though, a #3 QB is nothing more than a scout QB for the defense. There’s no need to take up a roster spot for that function. They could just find a low level coach to fill that role if they didn’t want to use a PS spot if they really wanted to go that route.

Norwood is an interesting prospect. The team clearly wants to keep him, so he must be showing a lot more promise than what can be seen by the general public. He’s not PUP eligible, but it might be interesting to see if they want to use their IR, designated to return spot on him, in which case he’d be eligible to come back Week 8. He’s more likely to be ready much sooner, so they may just give him a roster spot rather than just keep the seat warm.

15. chuck_easton says:

Norwood is the WR I am keeping an eye on coming up to Saturday’s cuts.

It’s clear the team really likes him. But he hasn’t shown anything to the rest of the teams.

Do they take a chance and try to sneak him through waivers? Do they IR/designated to return? To they put him on season ending IR? Or do they put him on the 53?

Irvin is the other player I’m going to be looking for. He is supposedly ‘this close’ to returning. But as we all know, in Pete Speak ‘this close’ could mean tomorrow or it could mean next year.

Will the team put Irvin on the active 53 without him practicing a down during camp? Will they PUP him and do without for the first 6 games?

16. Hill was supposed to come back much sooner than his 3-4 week initial diagnoses, according to Carrol. Yet he pretty much missed most of the year, and was pretty ineffective when he did play. So anything Carrol says regarding injuries I pay no attention to, unless he says they will miss significant time; then I figure they have actually been dead and buried for days, and the funeral is tomorrow…

17. ChrisHolmes says:

Thanks Chuck.

I wasn’t sure on the PUP rules. Thanks for clarifying.

I hope Norwood sticks. I think he has a bright future with this team.

18. Im talking about last years preseason injury suffered by our rookie DT.

19. chuck_easton says:

The IR/designated to return rule is interesting (at least to a rules geek like me).

Each team can only use it once per season.

The injury has to be major in that the player will be out at least 6 weeks before they could play.

So, does a team like Seattle that is stacked use that designation on a guy like Norwood? Do they save it for regular season in the event one of their starters goes down but could return within 8 weeks? (think Okung last season)

I am really leaning towards the team wanting to save this one time only designation for just the situation we saw with Okung last year where they knew he would be out for 6-8 weeks but could return in time for the playoffs.

I have a suspicion they wouldn’t waste it on Norwood. Just a hunch, but the more I think about it, the more logical this seems.

20. yankinta says:

At this point, I’m hoping Terrelle Pryor sticks and we start of the season with 3 QBs on Roster… Only if JS/PC reasonably believes trade offers may come during the first Qtr of the Season,, for either one of these QBs….

“Tonight will be fun to watch the bubble guys fighting for a spot. The game won’t be much in the way of real football, but there are reasons to be an interested spectator.”

Totally agree. This is one of my favorite games of the year.

22. Hammajamma says:

I would think PUP is the only option for Irvin, especially if Pryor takes a roster spot.

I hope they PUP Irvin. More time to see how the backups develop & more time for him to recover.

I’m with STTBM on keeping less O-lineman. Most of the backups are awful & we can stash some young ones on the PS.

Who knows there might be a trade in the works for an O-lineman.

Pryor is worth the risk (small one) in keeping this year.
    He may be a knucklehead but at least he is honest about it.

Yes Walters would make a good punt returner if he played in games once a month. Little durability & 0 upside.

I’m pulling for my man Bates to finally have a good pre season game to match his good camp practices, however with Jackson & Pryor at QB Bates may not get targeted much.

Can’t believe we are just one week away from shutting up the fail Mary talkers for awhile.

24. doubledink says:

I expect them to PUP Irvin and include Norwood on the 53 with expectations to have him back after the bye at the very latest.

25. doubledink says:

Bates to the PS since he is eligible again.

26. Georgia–Right now, Walters is light years ahead of Lockette as a pure WR and as a returner. He runs great routes, and has great hands. Lockette has neither. Walters is also tough, he just got slobberknockered too many times vs SD: it happens. While he’s not the big WR we all want at the bottom of the roster, he’s really stepped up his game and has upside, even if its only in his value in putting ET back on the bench as the backup PR.

THe fact that Walters is playing this week shows how much he wants this, and how tough he is. He has severely bruised ribs, which let me tell you is no picnic, and its pretty amazing he’s back already. Ive had bruised ribs before, and you’d swear they are broken.

27. I think Bates just isnt quite there yet. On the Jets or Jags, he’d maybe make the roster. I bet Seattle gives him little time vs the Raiders; they probably want him on the PS now that third year players can be on it (or 2 can).

I like Bates, and he’s much improved from last year, but I just dont see him beating out Walters or Lockette. Certainly not both of them. His only shot is if Norwood goes on IR.

28. PLUHawkFan says:

1. Pryor will be released. (Ive changed my view on this).
    2. Irvin will be put on PUP.
    3. Norwood makes the 53 (saving the 1 IR (return) use for an emergency)
    4. Walters is kept as PR
    5. Bates they will try to slip to the PS. (doubtful) but they will try I think
    6. Mayowa is released (Practice squad?) not sure if he’s eligible or would make it.
    7. Schofield makes 53

Rest I’m not sure. Those are my “guesses” for cut downs (without even seeing tonights game) Only bubble player on “MY LIST” would be Pryor. If he absolutely LIGHTS IT UP against the Raiders, then I think there’s a chance we keep him. Barring that, I’m fairly sure now that he’s gone. (him admitting he wasn’t ready to play is just something I don’t think PC will overlook) “Always Compete” is not just a montra. If your not competing your gone!

#GoHawks!

29. Im going to be watching these guys because they are the bubble guys IMO (IF the NFL deigns to put the game on TV in Montana):

1) Pryor: so many people dependent on him not making the team, potentially
    2) Walters, Lockette, Bates
    3) Mayowa
    4) Phillip Adams. And Johnson, Shead, Parks.
    5) Kevin Pierre-Louis. Candidate for IR or waiver wire then PS. Korey Toomer; last gasp. Coyle; made the team but I just wanna watch him lol!

30. PLUHawkFan says:

STTBM, NFL network is featuring the game tonight. Not sure if that helps you or not. (I have never understood the blackout rules) I know they foobarred up last weeks game, but they weren’t featuring it either. They have been advertising the game all week.

So if nothing else, hopefully you can watch it there.

#GoHawks!

31. jawpeace says:

Chuck, no way does Norwood make it to the practice squad. Yes other teams don’t have any preseason tape on him. But being a forth round draft pick a few months ago you can be sure all the teams watched college film on him and that a few teams even targeted to draft him as a mid round pick. So he would be snatched up like a cookie in-front of the Cookie Monster if we cut him.

I am one of those who don’t want the Hawks to keep a third QB. I have already stated why many times before and I don’t like beating a dead horse. But I have not said that last year Brady Quinn looked way better passing the ball than Prior has this year. Who cares if the man Prior is a athletic specimen.

My random crazy thought is if Prior is SO FAST and such a special athlete, and Lockett is looking to make the team because of his special team play. Why did they not ever have Prior do some kick and punt coverage. Run fast in your lane, shed blocks, and tackle the guy with the ball. Yeah it would be unconventional having your third string QB do that but Pete is unconventional. At least the guy would contribute to the team.

32. RDPoulsbo says:

The more I think about the WRs on the bubble, the more inclined I am to want Pryor cut to save a spot for one of those guys. If they have to go find a backup QB from outside the organization or give T-Jack another year, so be it. There are a few WRs that can help the team now even if it’s just ST contributions.

33. PLU–Thanks for the heads up. Not sure if it helps or hurts, the nFL network has hosed us before. Last year they showed a re-run of the week before’s preseason game between the Dolphins and some other team instead of the Seahawks game in Montana. Yeah, that made sense, huh?!

I’ll be out of town this weekend, in SW MT, so maybe I’ll catch it. At least I should be able to get it on radio…

34. I haven’t read any Pryor “hype.” I don’t know of anyone who wants him to play QB. I don’t know of anyone who wants him even as the #2 over Jackson. All I have read is that some think he has a unique talent, which Mr. Happy covets and Greg even senses the Hapster seems to be fascinated with which could possibly lead him to take a snap or two every 2-3-4 weeks or whatever.

Personally, I don’t care if they keep him or not. I just think that Mr. Happy may keep him around because he is a talent he may want to use here or there. I’m pretty sure film has shown for years that he’s not Aaron Rogers accurate, but you can’t teach athleticism and that may be his ticket to sticking around.

Think of it this way – whoever we argue should or should not make the roster over Pryor is a bubble guy who is going to find himself inactive most weeks anyways.

Carroll won’t show his hand if they are going to use Pryor in other ways.

Walters has a lot of courage but has durability is a concern.

Lockette has looked good receiving the few times he has been targeted.
    His gunner skills are elite so I expect him to make it (despite his age) unless he implodes in this last game.

Bates needs a big game but he’s had a very good camp otherwise.

I agree very much that Norwood won’t make it to the PS.

They aren’t going to make the same mistake they made last year with Harper.

36. Ray_Maines says:

The more I read and think about the last cut downs, the more I vacillate. I’m at a point now where every post I read makes perfect sense even if their diametrically opposite.

The roster is a lot more fun to follow now than three years ago. In JS/PC I trust.

37. MikeFromNewJersey says:

My roster prediction.

QB(2) – Russell and TJack
    RB(4) – Beast, Turbin, Michael, Coleman
    WR(6) – Harvin, Baldwn, Kearse, Richardson, Lockette, Walters..I think Norowdd goes to IR
    TE (3) – Miller, Willson, Helfet
    OL (9) – Okung, Carp, Unger, Sweey, Britt, Bailey, Winston, Lem, Schilling

DL(10)-MeBane, McDaniel, Avril, Bennett, K.Williams, Scruggs, J.Hill, Schofield, Marsh, Mayowa
    LB(7)- Wagner, KJ, Malcolm, Morgan, Irvin, Coyle, Pierre-Louis
    DB (9)- Sherm, Max, Kam, Earl, Lane, Simon, JJ, Shead, Adams

Specials(3) – Ryan, Haush, Gresham

38. You should change your name to “bobblehead” yankinta.

SYH

39. bird_spit says:

Gregg –

Marshawn is the man. It would be cool if you could form a question that is a complete complement. Hawks would not have the toughness it does on offense with out him. A true leader. A quiet leader.. Think General Sherman (of civil war fame) and you get Marshawn. He was so successful they made a tank with his name. Ask Marshawn does he ever think of all the men and women protecting our freedoms, and if he has anything to say to them?

Thanks!

40. montanamike2 says:

I mostly agree with your list Mikefromjersey, I’m not sure about Pryor anymore and Mayowa looks slower since he’s bulked up a bit. I think Irvin is kept out until midway to make more room but i’ve been wrong before. I hope Bates shows well and Walters makes the ET punt returner irrelevant. After last year, i don’t think Norwood makes it back, Harbaugh is shady that way. It’s harder to sneak anybody back to the PS after all eyes are on us.

41. CDHawkFan says:

Is Green Bay that good, they have a QB a few WR’s and a LB? They also have a crappy division, but SB winners over Seattle, San Fran or even New Orleans? I can’t believe they are more talented on paper than the 3 teams mentioned above.

Seems like others are underestimating our D again and what it can do to an offense (see SB XLVIII). Hoping we beat them by double digits which will allow us to have the tie-breaker.

42. RDPoulsbo says:

Yeah, sneaking guys onto the PS will be next to impossible now. Last week, there were more scouts at C-Link than the NFL combine looking at anyone Seattle might possibly let go.

43. LarryLee says:

With his career on the line, how is Pryor not prepared to play? Lost faith in him. He goes. Lockette plays special teams more like a strong safety than a WR, He stays. NYG rue the decision on Scofield, deal of the spring. Michael is obviously a keeper but Turbo was the RB who caught my eye. Love the flash we got of Walters punt returning – kamikazi mentality – but how long will he hold up?
    Hate to risk Earl. Fun to speculate but PC&JS are “The Pros From Dover” and I won’t second guess anything they do.
    Dress rehearsal tonight – Real Deal in 7 days!

44. No one stole Bronson and we were able to sign him back with Micheals gimpy. That kind of surprised me. He’s done well all through camp.

Kevin Pierre-Louis is a guy I dont see making the team. He’s been gimpy and to my knowledge has shown nothing. Either they redshirt him onto IR or cut him and hope he clears waivers for the PS.

We may lose Mayowa and or Adams or Parks if we keep Pryor. Not to mention Walters.

45. montanamike2 says:

Yeah, Bronson not being grabbed by another team is surprising.

46. chuck_easton says:

How is that Prisco article so out of line? He has Seattle finishing 12-4 (losing a tiebreaker to Arizona??? Ok that I have questions), getting the Wildcard and then going all the way to the NFC Championship game.

It ain’t easy to repeat or it would have happened more often.

And for Prisco to give ANY love to Seattle is a miracle. He has openly acknowledged he doesn’t like the team.

So if one of the team’s biggest detractors in the national media has Seattle going 12-4 and returning to the NFC Championship game, I’d say that bodes well.

47. Prisco is an ass. What else is new? He has never had any faith in Wilson or our offense.

Id be happy if Seattle can pull off 12-4, but I dont see us losing to the Rams this year, nor to the Cards. The Cards are falling apart on D, the Niners cant get the ball to Stevie Johnson because Kaep sucks, and their line is missing Boone.

The Cards will score more points, but their D will falter. Without Washington and Dockett, they arent the same, even with Tommy Kelly. Pats cut him for a reason.

48. The Cards are like Dallas. Every year is going to be their year…and every year it isnt.

49. montanamike2 says:

Kaep can’t find Stevie Johnson.

50. Gregg or Chuck: Can a PS player refuse to go to another team if selected by one? The Seahawks seem to keep various players on speed-dial after they have been cut and pass waivers. More than a few came and went several times last season.

51. The Packers won the Super Bowl four years ago with one of the youngest rosters ever. They have the best QB in the NFL, too (at least in my opinion). They are a good team. SF barely beat them in the play-offs last year. The game easily could have gone to the Packers and I think the Pack are better than the Saints, too. As long as they don’t lose Rodgers again this year, this is going to be one of the teams in the NFC who will be playing for a first-round bye in the play-offs and a team the Hawks will have to beat to get back to the Super Bowl. I know the Hawks are better than the Pack, but that doesn’t mean the Pack aren’t going to be a formidable opponent come next Thursday and again in January. Lets get the early win so we’re playing them again in Seattle, rather than making a trip to Green Bay.

52. montanamike2 says:

Green Bay just took some significant hits.

53. montanamike2 says:

I’d like to get a running start to lead the division.

54. Stevie Johnson gets open like no one in the NFL. I mean WIDE OPEN. You cant cover that man.

Late in 2012, we blew Buffalo out. Richard Sherman and the rest of the Legion of Boom failed to cover Johnson–ever. He made some serious plays, and was open like 7-11–all night long. His crappy qb couldnt find him then either, what with our pass rush and his general incompetence.

I watched a video on the Hawks trying to cover Johnson and a stats breakdown of the plays where Sherm covered him. I believe it was Sherms worst game as a Pro. He flat got beaten like 3/4 of the time vs Johnson.

SF made a good move trading for him. Too bad their qb cant find his butt with both hands…

55. The Pack is minus their C and Raji. They will be easier to beat early than they will in the playoffs. Either way, we will probably play them twice and neither game will be easy.

I still dont think the Offense can top 20 points on our D, and I think their D cant hold us, period.

56. RDPoulsbo says:

SF’s bigger problem on offense is their All-Pro left side of the o-line. Staley and Iupati have been turnstyles all preseason and a big reason why their 1st team offense has yet to score a TD this preseason. If these guys can’t protect against a vanilla pass rush, they’re going to have a lot more problems when the regular season starts.

57. Raji hasn’t been effective for a few years now so it’s not like his loss is a huge blow in terms of them losing one of their stars. I do agree that every injury weakens a team so I’m not denying that part. I also don’t doubt that them being without their starting center will weaken them but one thing we know is that a great QB can even make scrub OL look decent. Manning lost one of the best LTs in the NFL last year AND his starting C before the season even started and it worked out there. Except for that last game of the year thing! :) I just want the Packers to have to come back to Seattle in January. I understand winning next week doesn’t mean it’s a certainty the potential game in Jan. will be played in Seattle, but the odds increase if it does.

It’s tough to say things with certainty in the NFL like this team or that team will or can’t score this many points. How many people predicted the Seahawks would be losing to the Bucs late in the 2nd quarter last year by a score of 21-0? And most of us didn’t think the Cards would beat us at home last December even with Palmer throwing 5 picks. That’s why they play the games.

58. MoSeahawk12 says:

Good read, a little long, but interesting view of repeating as champs.

59. Hey, guess what guys. The Seahawks may not go 19-0 this year! They might not even win the Super Bowl again! I know, kick me off the blog.

The point is, I’m not going to jump all over Prisco because he didn’t pick my favorite team to win it all. People are ready to label him as anti-Seahawks and a Wilson-hater when he picks them to go to the NFC Championship? That makes me . . . smh

There are other opinions out there, and fans of other teams who are very optimistic about their own chances. They are not all idiots.

60. chuck_easton says:

akmac,

Once a player clears waivers he can be offered a position on any other team’s PS.

When a player is on one team’s PS another team can still contact that player (through his agent) and offer him a contract to be on their 53 man active roster.

But the player has to agree to go to that team. You can’t just go in an ‘claim’ a player off another team’s PS.

The distinction is that every player that is on a team’s PS can still negotiate a new contract with another team.

The deal is why would a player stay on one team’s PS where he’s making very little and not playing on Sunday when he can sign with another team, be on their active roster, and get whatever the minimum salary for his experience?

61. Ewalters7354 says:

“Georgia–Right now, Walters is light years ahead of Lockette as a pure WR and as a returner. He runs great routes, and has great hands. Lockette has neither. Walters is also tough, he just got slobberknockered too many times vs SD: it happens.”

Huh? STTBM,which eye do you watch NFL games with? Because as far as I can see,Lockette has totally outplayed Walters.

Walters has 1 catch for 26yrds in 3 preseason games,while Lockette has 2 for 53.He didn’t have a catch vs the chargers.

Walters had a few good punt returns,but Lockette has been a force as a gunner since last year.Not to mention he’s durable.

Lockette is way better than Walters.

62. The only thing unique that Walters brings to the table is that he’s a poor man’s Tim Dwight.

Hey Yank – what about Daniels making the team or Pryor being ready to compete with Jackson for the number 2 spot? Next will be when your man Nick Foles comes down to earth.

63. RDPoulsbo says:

Daniels has only attempted 2 passes this preseason. It should be telling that he’s not likely going to make the team, much like how Ware hasn’t seen the field since Denver.

64. PLUHawkFan says:

When it comes to picking who will win what games with “nearly” any Team, I have 3 words……..

ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!!!! (or Monday or Thursday) *Smile.

The “Better” team doesn’t always win. Many things factor in….

Like others have said, thats why we play the games.

I’m going to make some people upset, but I “Almost” hope we lose to the packers next week. Why? Because I just have this sneaky suspicion that “if we did” it would hyper focus the team (not that they aren’t focused) and that they just might go undefeated the rest of the way. 15-1. I don’t even know why I think this, call it a gut feeling *shrug.

Irregardless I think that absolute worst we do is 12-4 and make the playoffs. I’ll wait till well into the Second half of the season, (after watching all the other playoff contenders as well) before I attempt to make a prediction about us repeating or not.

#GoHawks!

65. dirtbiker_joey says:

The Seahawks WILL go 19-0. You heard it from me first!

Our historically great defense is a notch better this year and the offense is suddenly incredibly scary. Amazingly, these guys are still hungry. The leaders of this team are driven by a lust for all-time greatness, not just one trophy. It reminds me of Brad Pitt’s depiction of Achilles in the movie “Troy.” He was driven by a desire for his name to live in immortality.

Really, who is going to beat them? Their “tough” schedule isn’t really as tough as it looked a few months ago, or even a few weeks ago.

St. Louis and Arizona have both lost significant players to season-ending injuries. Those two teams are vulnerable.

San Fran is in shambles. Has anyone watched them this year? Their aging defense is beset by injuries. Their running back is also getting old and worn down. The strength of that offense had been their line, which is looking very average. And Vernon Davis pees his pants whenever he looks at Kam Chancellor. I see them taking a step back this year. I also think Harbaugh is losing the team and they will be even worse off next year. We will dominate this rivalry for the foreseeable future.

As for the rest of the schedule, the only tough road game is Philly, which happens to be a 4:25 eastern start, playing into our favor. Washington and Carolina are not nearly as good as they had hoped. And we’ll roll over San Diego and KC.

Our toughest non-conference opponents will be at home, and within the first three games. Unfortunately for them – fortunately for us – Green Bay and Denver are both dealing with some injury issues. Sure, they both have revenge on their minds, but the Clink will be out of this world for both of those games. No way we don’t crush them.

As for the rest, does Dallas, Oakland, or the Giants strike fear in anyone’s heart?

19-0 and Super Bowl IL Champions! Suck it ’72 Dolphins!

66. jawpeace says:

No real Hawk fan ever wishes their team to loose. Heck I could not even do that in 92 when the Hawks sucked and we were playing for the first pick in the draft. That Monday night game against the Broncos I was cheering hard for the Hawks and we won. Which may have cost us the number one over all pick snd Bledsoe but left a special moment for the Hawks former announcer who dies of cancer later that week after being honored at what would be his last game.

67. jawpeace says:

“died”

68. jawpeace – could not agree more.

My BIL is a Steelers fan (even though he was born and raised in Puyallup, has never been to Pennsylvania and probably couldn’t even find it on a map – but that’s another gripe for another day). He once told me he hoped the Steelers would have a bad year so that people wouldn’t hate them so much. Beside the fact that the only thing that will make some of us Seahawks fans stop hating the Steelers is a significant number of years passing, you never root against your own team. In his case, I told him real fans don’t give a rip what fans of other teams think. They hate us, so what. If anything, we should wear it as a badge of honor that they care enough to hate us.

69. jawpeace says:

LOL stop hating Stealers now that is funny. It would take a lot more than one bad season for that. But it is possible I actually found myself rooting for and feeling sorry for the Raiders last year for the first time in my life. So I supposed majorly suck for over a decade and it just might reduce the hate. Right now a decade would not even change Whiner hate.

70. RDPoulsbo says:

I never understood the reasoning behind trying to get other fanbases of other teams to root for yours. They don’t support the Hawks just as I don’t support the Steelers or Vikings or whoever. The full weight of 70% of the country rooting for the Broncos to win the SB sure didn’t change the fact that the Hawks spanked them. Even if some do like Hawks, it’ll only be for a game or two so why put the effort into something so fleeting? Enjoy your team and don’t care what others think. They have their own team to worry about.

71. I just edited some DVDs I had from 2005.. If anybody is interested, Here are some clips I pulled.

Hawk Press 2005 – Boling & Sando. (is Sando really taller than Matt?)

Face 2 Face with Trent Dilfer & Matty8. Trent’s was taped first & he talks about how Matt helped him thru the loss of his son. Matt’s was taped after the SB40 loss. https://vimeo.com/104653774 https://vimeo.com/104653775

72. Ewalters7354 says:

“Am I the only one who found it amusing that Walters just posted about how Walters isn’t that good?”

Lol

73. freedom_X says:

Pete Prisco has always had a pro-Arizona bias, and tended towards disregard for Seattle. This has gone back for years. Look how many times he’s picked Arizona to win the NFC West. He was right twice – but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

In Prisco’s Aug. 26 “Musings” column, he was aghast that Pete Carroll was ranked 2nd in ESPN’s best NFL coaches poll. Quote: “Are you kidding?” “This one makes no sense.” (he thinks Tom Coughlin is better.)

I’ve got no problem if he wants to rank Coughlin higher than Carroll, but phrases like “Are you kidding” and “this makes no sense” shows you the extent of his bias. He doesn’t even think Carroll belongs in the conversation.

74. PLUHawkFan says:

For the RECORD:

I did say in my post that I “ALMOST” wish…… there is a difference. I’ve been a diehard Fan since 1984. Nobody can accuse me of being a bandwagoner (SP?) Or not a real fan!

Just saying……

#GoHawks!

75. PLUHawksFan – you knew you were going to make some people upset, said so yourself.

I’m not questioning your fanhood. It’s all for fun.

76. PLUHawkFan says:

Thanks OrrObb:

And your right I knew, I just didn’t think I would be called “not a real fan”… it’s all good though. I can take the heat.. I deal with being called much worse things day in and day out from some of the people I try to help in my line of work. At least with them though I can say their not in their right minds *Grin.

#GoHawks!

77. The NFL Network is showing Bears-Browns at 5, then joining Seahwks-Raiders in progress after Bears-Browns is finished. A bummer for Seahawks fans outside Seattle.

78. Heading to Glacier national park tomorrow for a hiking and camping trip with the wife. Got a room In Whitefish next Thursday just to watch the game.Was wondering if Trout-Hound or anybody knows a good place for the game. We like the Northern and are hoping they have it on. Thanks for letting me tag along on the blog.

79. Enjoy GNP clhs70, it is magnificent. If you want to hike or hang out at the pass the Going to the Sun Road crosses, be sure to get there by 9-10 or so in the morning. The parking up there fills up fast. And be sure to check out the “Many glacier” area of the park too.

80. Just talked to a buddy of Bronson here in Enumclaw and another team was trying to sign him and Seahawks want to keep him. Wonder if he plays tonight.

81. rbuzby Thanks we hike up there almost every Sept. The Hi line is awesome. Going to do the loop next Tuesday. Really enjoy the Momtana folks on the Blog.

82. My parents met in Laurel Montana, and my grandparents lived there all their lives. I spent a couple summers in Laurel, and even got to ride on the “locomotive” in the 4th of July parade back in the 70’s.
    I am a Seattle guy, but Montana is where we came from.

83. Cls–My wife has family in Enumscratch.

The Bulldog in Whitefish is cool and should have Nfl on.

Enjoy MT!

84. STTBM Ha Ha ! Down at the Mint watching the game. Thanks love Montana.

85. jawpeace says:

Pluhawkfan, I know you said “almost” but I can’t even comprehend “almost” If one were to ever hope for a defeat to wake up the team may it come in preseason.

86. BigShermyWorm says:

“They aren’t going to make the same mistake they made last year with Harper.”

Georgia, that wasn’t a mistake. They could’ve had him back multiple times since he left the team. They have chosen not to. Norwood has route running ability that Harper does not. Harper is just a physical specimen at this point.

Enumscratch? That sounds like something you do when you don’t shower for a few days.

Agreed. How was Harper a mistake? Where is he making an impact now…?