Travel day for Seahawks, to final exhibition at Oakland; why DE O’Brien Schofield has been so good this month

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:49 am with 45 Comments »
August 27, 2014 8:49 am

The Seahawks have a short walkthrough practice this morning at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center in Renton before they leave this afternoon for Oakland. The final exhibition game is tomorrow at 7 p.m., one week to the day before Seattle hosts Green Bay to begin the NFL season.

The only starters who could benefit by playing more than a series tomorrow night are left tackle Russell Okung, center Max Unger, linebackers Malcolm Smith and Bobby Wagner and safety Kam Chancellor. The rest really don’t need to play a down. Okung, coming back from toe surgery that wiped out his entire offseason, looked wiped out after the first drive last Friday against San Diego. Eric Winston had to replace him for most of the second drive before Okung returned with what appeared to be either a strong limp or even stronger fatigue for the final couple plays on the goal line of that drive. Then he and Unger (groin injury that sidelined him for a week this month) left the Chargers game for good.

Asked what he needs to be ready for the Packers Okung said:  “Just reps, man. I gotta get real reps.”

Smith and Wagner have come back in the last two weeks from offseason ankle surgery and a three-week-old hamstring injury, respectively. Wagner returned to practice Monday and said he would like to have a practice game to get back into the flow of the defense before Green Bay. And Chancellor got sick in the heat during practice yesterday, showing that perhaps he still isn’t in top condition following hip surgery in the spring. He made his preseason practice debut two weeks ago.

Other than that, really, why play the other 17 starters at all?

One Seahawks veteran who is likely to play plenty in Oakland is O’Brien Schofield. He has been fantastic this month zooming off the ball and living in the backfields of the Broncos, Chargers and Bears. He told me yesterday it’s been since his rookie year of 2010 in Arizona since he had six quarterback hits in a month, let alone the consecutive games he’s had them against San Diego and Chicago. He’s seemingly won the job as weakside pass-rushing end over 2013 summer star Benson Mayowa, who hasn’t been bad this month.

Why is a fifth-year veteran so revved for this preseason and beyond? Schofield feels scorned. He had an $8 million payday from the New York Giants in free agency taken away by a doctor who failed him because he “showed signs” of arthritis in his left knee that was reconstructed in early 2010. I wrote about this in today’s News Tribune.

A quote to cut and perhaps paste into the Seahawks’ narrative later this season: “I mean, I know a lot of guys are hungry, but I don’t think they are feelin’ what I’m feelin’.

“There is going to be disruption.”

–Today’s Seahawks Notebook in the TNT details the NFL fining the Seahawks and coach Pete Carroll $300,000 and taking away two practices from their 2015 mandatory minicamp next spring for too much contact during the June 17-19 minicamp. The fight between cornerback Richard Sherman and wide receiver Phil Bates is what caught the attention of the league to review films of the minicamp’s practices, and that’s when the league found the violation. The fight wasn’t the reason, it was the trigger that caused the NFL to look. As to who in particular urged the league to look deeper, I’m sure you have your theories.

Pro Football Talk goes into the CBA outlining the league could have fined the Seahawks more, but that apparently commissioner Roger Goodell chose a fraction of the maximum penalties.

1. bsinnitt says:

It’s already been well documented that tempers started to flair on the previous play when Earl hit Walters as he was going to the ground. So no need to speculate on the source of the violation. There have also been plenty of times in the past that teammates have commented on Earl’s intensity in practice. I remember Maxwell saying last year that it inspired him to follow suit which lead to a big improvement in his game. So, you take the bad with the good with ET’s practice regimen and move on I suppose. I’m sure his team mates did a while ago.

2. Ray_Maines says:

My search skills aren’t what they should be apparently, so…

How do I find everything I’ve said on this Blog about Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck in the same post, during this calendar month?

Or any other string(s) in any other time frame?

I found what I was looking for by searching for my name in every post, but that was tedious and there must be a better way.

3. Ray_Maines says:

It really doesn’t have anything to do with post, but here is what I was looking for.

This for YankinTa:

The Grantland article is totally weird. They said Andrew Luck is 14-2 in close games (7 points or less) and his 87.5% winning percentage is better than any QB ever. Luck is just sooooo special!! So clutch!!

Russell Wilson wasn’t mentioned even once in the article, but then why would he be? RW has only won 55% of his close games. Boy does he ever suck.

Figures lie, liars figure…

AL has won 14 close games, 9 games by 8 or more, has lost 2 close games and has lost 10 games by more than 8 points.

Again by contrast, RW has won 11 close games, 17 games by more than 8, lost 9 close games, and has lost a grand total of ZERO games by 8 or more.

In two years Andrew Luck has lost one more game by 8 or more points than RW has lost altogether.

4. TNT blog challenge – I vow to never again mention Andrew luck in this blog -he does not play for my favorite Seahawks and is therefore irrelevant.

only exception is if we are ever playing the team he plays for.

I challenge the rest of the TNT comment contributors to do the same (you don’t even need an ice bucket to take this challenge)

5. yankinta says:

I was bummed when Schofield’s $8 million deal fell through since we lost out on getting back a nice compensatory pick, but in retrospect, it couldn’t have worked out better for the Seahawks.. :)

I hope Schofield blows it up this year,, getting 10+ Sacks and getting Paul Kruger money this upcoming FA. And if this happens we’ll get back a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. :)

btw, whatever happened to Paul Kruger?? lol,, Ravens did well to get back a 3rd round compensatory pick for him…..

6. RDPoulsbo says:

Britt could probably use more reps as well. Any extra experience will help the rookie.

Schofield’s voided deal was pretty underhanded by the Giants. He’s proving to be a good pass rusher this year and glad to have him back though. Eli Manning better know where he is at all times when they come to town later this year.

7. Great let him play well – but they gotta figure who can replace him next year!! and Carp as well

I am alway wary of resigning guys who play significantly better in contract years

8. seahawk44 says:

Thank you, xcman, I have read way too much about the Colt’s starting quarterback on this Seahawks blog in the last few years. I would rather hear about the Colt’s backup QB.

9. FleaFlicker says:

yank: good article. Now if we can just fast forward nine days….

10. freedom_X says:

Schofield and the Giants has been a mystery. If it really was a physical issue (arthritis) – did the Giants make a scaled down offer? (i.e. a 1-year offer?) The knee might be a problem 2 or 3 years down the road, but certainly not for one year.

If the Giants didn’t counter-offer, they may have suffered from some front office dysfunction. (someone wanted to kill the signing after the fact.) This would be surprising though since the Giants are considered to have a pretty stable management trust.

11. RDPoulsbo you are now officially nominated to take the TNT commenters challenge …..

12. yankinta says:

Ray_Maines,, thanks. I saw that article a few weeks ago. Like I said 99% of the nation is brainwashed…. only those very few of us with eyes for talent, that also watched Pac-12 Games,, saw it coming… :)

13. No posts for 45min? Where is everybody?

Check out this DoucheBag. I’ve seen photos of Brees, Ryan, Stafford, Gutler, RW & Kap for the latest SI. Guess which is the only one to go shirtless..

14. yankinta says:

Another really good Article :)

BILL BARNWELL is one of my favorite writer but he doesn’t know the inside scoup on this RW 2012 draft subject. In the article, He said ” Presented with the most obvious It Factor guys in football, not a single team trusted their read enough to snap up Brady or Wilson with their first- or even their second-round pick”.

It’s true for 31 teams but not for the Seahawks. JS wanted to get him with our 2nd round pick. He just didn’t get the votes from the draft room. Because everyone had a good idea that RW would last until 75th pick.

I actually wanted us to draft him in the 1st round… :)

15. Carlsonkid says:

Schofeld is a man on a mission , but I was sorry to see Michael Brooks get waived/injured . He keeps bouncing around from active roster to PS and shows some potential .. I dunno , I just like the guy’s play and was always rooting for him .

16. SaigonSun says:

I had to eat crow on this blog about Avril and his performance in Seahawks uniform. I still don’t care much about him. This is the second and final year of his contract here. Next year he will ask for (much) higher payday than the 11 mil. he got from us. If Schofield is with us on the cheap NOW, and he is playing this great, why not trade Avril now ? It will save us a lot of money, which we can use to resign our own player (or, two), free us a roster spot , and give us a high draft pick in the future … probably a second rounder. Avril is one high quality asset that we can do without.
    I fully understand the quality of Avril’s play last season AND we can expect the same ( or, better) play this year simply because he is in his contract year…. BUT, we got Scholield playing with a big chip on his shoulder , plus Mayowa, plus Marsh, and even Bruuuuuuce coming back from surgery. That is plenty pass rushers to rotate.
    Honestly, if we had a spot for him , I would take Sam (gay and all…)because he is another player with a BIG chip-on-his-shoulder. He’ll do good in NFL baring bad injuries.
    Ok, I’ve braced myself ! Throw your s… at me .

“…not a single team trusted their read enough to snap up Brady or Wilson with their first- or even their second-round pick”.

This is a fact. It doesn’t matter what someone *wanted* to do, Barnwell is stating what happened. And it’s undeniable that Brady nor Wilson went in the 1st or 2nd round. So, it’s true for all 32 teams.

18. ChrisHolmes says:

Avril is already on the team, knows the scheme, and is budgeted for this season. And as we’ve learned from history, you cannot have enough pass rushers for a run to the Superbowl.

19. NintyFivePercent says:

Duke, stop confusing us with facts! You’re making my head spin.

95% of us care more about imaginary events (such as what GMs wanted to do versus what they really did and Defense Adjusted Interceptsions versus actual interceptions) than real events.

smh

20. RDPoulsbo says:

Just like QB trades, big named player trades don’t happen this time of year. Teams have pretty much set their plans in motion for the upcoming season and trading players on the whim isn’t something any GM in his right mind would do. You’ll see 7th round conditional trades next week to improve the bottom of the depth charts, but that’s all you’ll see as the regular season approaches.

…and this is why Alex Boone is pretty much screwed in his holdout down in SF. He won’t get his money, he won’t get traded, and he’ll eventually slink back to the team out of shape and a liability to Kaep’s health.

21. CDHawkFan says:

Trading Avril, you’re kidding right? How easily we forget the lack of pass rush years (going back just 2 years ago), how painful those days were. Nothing gets me more pissed off when a QB has all day. He is a top 5 – 10 guy at his position, plays great in the big games, hungry, no locker room issues, and is far better than any other options we have. Why save money now that we are in position to repeat? Rotate all you want, but the others just won’t get to the QB like Avril.

Sorry, but that is one of the least thought out comments I have read in sometime.

22. MikeFromNewJersey says:

YOU DO NOT TRADE YOUR BEST PASS RUSHER!!!!

Pass rushers are like pitchers.. You can never have enough!

23. Avril is by far our best pass rusher. When Clemons was all we had, we had the Redskins playoff game and then the Atlanta one…where we went from halfway decent pass rush to no pass rush to no pass rush plus our best rusher hurt….You need two ends who can put pressure on, plus at least one DT who can do the same. We are loaded, enjoy it because after this year we may lose one or both of Avril/Schofield.

Schofield looks to be perhaps our most important re-sign of the year, and no one really noticed at the time. He appears ready to torch the NFL and tear it up. All for a League Min salary…

Next year Mayowa will have to be the man, and we’re probably looking for a first round pass rusher (again). IT would be nice if Irvin stepped up as a pass rusher from the DE spot soon..

24. RDPoulsbo – In general, I agree with you that, “Just like QB trades, big named player trades don’t happen this time of year.” But there are exceptions, of course. The Pats just traded away Logan Mankins.

With that said, I also agree with MikeFromNewJersey. Plus, the depth and ability to rotate players along the defensive line is a strength of this defense.

25. RDPoulsbo says:

I didn’t even address the Don’t trade your best pass rusher! Argument and I completely agree. This team is built to win now, not building for tomorrow, now. Win now and quit worrying about future draft picks. As I’ve said many times over the years, looking forward to the draft when real football is being played must mean you root for a losing franchise. I don’t see one of those here in Seattle.

26. BTW, I’m not going to begrudge CK for going shirtless on the cover of SI. If I had abs like that, I’d never wear a shirt.

27. Mayowa hasn’t even proved he can be “a” guy let alone “the” guy – so that thought is really scary

28. yankinta says:

lol,, smart people can see the difference between trusting read enough to snap up RW in the second round versus, was willing to do it but realizing it wasn’t necessary and played smart by picking up Bobby Wagner..

like I said, some people just aren’t smart enough. Easy prey for brainwashing… :)

You said Barnwell’s statement wasn’t true. But the reality is that what he said is fact.

30. yankinta says:

lol,, What I said was, Barnwell was unaware of the inside story. It would be inaccurate to put JS (biggest RW Fan/Believer) in the same boat as 31 other GMs when it comes to trusting their read on RW….

Remember,, this JS/PC FO does things that are totally Unconventional… It’d be lazy at best to put them in a circle with the other 31 GMs/FO.. And this is what Branwell implied in the article, imo.

That’s not what you said. You said this statement by Barnwell: “Presented with the most obvious It Factor guys in football, not a single team trusted their read enough to snap up Brady or Wilson with their first- or even their second-round pick” wasn’t true for the Seahawks, and of course, you’re wrong. They took him in the third round.

32. SandpointHawk says:

By the way, there are not any voters in the draft room. There is John_Schneider who can only be held back (overruled) by Pete Carroll. Yes, John wanted Russell in the second round and Pete told him to hold off…

If the owner decides to attend some year in the future I’ll change my tune until then I’m 95% right….

33. “…smart people can see the difference…” and “…like I said, some people just aren’t smart enough. Easy prey for brainwashing…”

Why do you feel it necessary to insult and bait everyone? This behavior is Trolling, and you know it. But why do it? You have some intelligent things to say, but its generally lost in the garbage you spew just to rile the hornets. Which is a shame.

34. but he doesn’t call names….

35. yankinta says:

STTBM,, I’m trying to get people to wise up and get smarter!! lol

okay you’re right. In retrospect, I shouldn’t have said it. Even if I thought it…

36. CDHawkFan says:

Also about Avril, as a free agent next year, if he signs elsewhere for big money we will get a 3rd or 4th round comp draft pick the following year.

37. MoSeahawk12 says:

Damn, another half day at school…..

38. yankinta says:

CDHawkFan,, that’s what I’m thinking too. I think we’ll pick up a DE with 32nd overall pick next year…. But if that DirectTV 10 year deals goes thru with NFL for 1.5 Billion a year,, I think the Salary Cap will increase significantly and We might be able to afford both RW and Cliff next year.

I hate DirectTV but would love to keep/extend Cliff, B-Wag, KJ, Sweezy and Mebane… small price to pay, I guess. :)

You are the last person I will ever learn anything football related from, yak. Your retroactive future predictions are meaningless to me. And when you attempt to break Xs and Os down, I learned to simply gloss over the misinformation.

40. Minor point of information, the formula for awarding compensatory draft picks is so arcane that no one seems able to give a layman’s explanation, not even experienced professional football writers. Hence, anyone who thinks that certain transactions will invariably produce specific comp draft picks is talking fiction not reality.

41. BigShermyWorm says:

Very true, akmac. Just let Yanker count up all the 3rd round picks though. We’ll have a whole team full of RWs!!!!

42. BigShermyWorm says:

And by the way, Schofield still only has 11.5 sacks in 4 years. Let’s not effing crown him just yet.