Bobby Wagner returns to MLB as Seahawks’ starting D becoming whole; LB Heath Farwell has major injury, likely cementing job for undrafted rookie Brock Coyle

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm with 128 Comments »
August 25, 2014 6:02 pm

The Seahawks are done with a no-pads, helmet-only practice that went about two hours at the sunny, warm Virginia Mason Athletic Center. Bobby Wagner (above, talking after practice today) was back with the first-teamers at middle linebacker, after missing three-plus weeks with a hamstring injury.

Last week it was Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith coming back. Bruce Irvin could be back next week, coach Pete Carroll says. So the Seahawks’ starting defense is becoming whole at the right time. The opener against Green Bay is 10 days away.

Carroll says Tuesday is an important day to see if Wagner can string together consecutive, semi-full practices without pain or soreness. Wagner says he would like to play in Thursday’s exhibition finale at Oakland, to get a “game” in before they get real. If he does, it likely won’t be for but a cameo.

Asked if quarterback Russell Wilson will even take a snap against the Raiders — and I don’t see a reason he should; why not have Tarvaris Jackson, Terrelle Pryor and B.J. Daniels split the four quarters to settle whether Seattle keeps two (as usual) or three quarterbacks on the regular-season roster? — Carroll went coy as he usually does on questions about preseason playing time.

“We’ll see,” he said. “Everybody’s going.”

He didn’t specify to where every player is going Thursday. To Oakland? To a team viewing party for veteran starters back near the VMAC? More than a dozen veterans didn’t make the trip to Denver for the first exhibition on Aug. 7.

–Carroll said 32-year-old middle linebacker and special-teams player Heath Farwell has a major groin injury that likely needs surgery. That likely spells the end of his three seasons with the Seahawks — and all but cements that undrafted rookie Brock Coyle from Montana, the surprise of camp for how well he ran the starting defense in the exhibition games while Wagner was out, has won a job on the Super Bowl champions.

Farwell, a 10-year veteran who has played in 42 games for Seattle since signing as a free agent from the Minnesota Vikings in 2011, fell to the ground after appearing to injure himself on a leap while defending a pass into the end zone Friday night against Chicago.

–Nickel back Jeremy Lane watched the no-pads practice with what Carroll said is a groin injury from the Bears game. The team doesn’t know the severity of it yet, because Lane is still getting tests, but the coach didn’t make it sound very serious. Lane was been strong all month in practices and games.

–WR/PR Bryan Walters from Kirkland, out last week with sore ribs he got fearlessly returning punts through oncoming San Diego Chargers like a car going the wrong way down a busy freeway, told me he expects to play Thursday. He knows he has to. It could be his last chance to win a job as punt returner, though Earl Thomas’ 59-yard return of a Bears punt Friday didn’t help Walters’ bid.

–Carroll says TE Cooper Helfet, impressive early in camp, has a knee strain, not thought to be serious. The leader in the competition for the third tight-end job did not practice today.

–I asked Carroll what his philosophy was on keeping two versus three quarterbacks on the 53-man regular-season roster, as he has done for all but one of his four previous seasons leading the Seahawks. He said the team was “very fortunate” to get away with having only Wilson and Jackson all last season.

“Sometimes you just can’t afford to do it because guys are too good,” Carroll said of keeping only two QBs.

He again praised Pryor for his unique athleticism.

The former Raiders starter for parts of three seasons before his trade to Seattle this offseason today blamed himself for not being prepared to enter Friday’s blowout of the Bears for the final two series. He had a bad interception and then took two kneel downs to end the 34-6 victory.

“I didn’t think I was going to play at all,” Pryor said. “That’s my fault. I own up to that.”

By the way, Pryor made a point of saying he had asked Oakland for a trade for many, many months before the Raiders actually accommodated him.

–Left tackle Russell Okung was full-go at practice, after limping during the first half against Chicago and then leaving after the second series with starting center Max Unger because Carroll said both were “gassed” in their first games of this preseason. Carroll noted today how long of a slog this offseason was for Okung with the toe surgery and recovery, and that his conditioning is just not there yet.

–WR Kevin Norwood, rookie fourth-round draft pick from Alabama, has resumed running two weeks after surgery to remove a bone spur in his foot. Carroll said Norwood could be back at practice next week.

–Again, from earlier this morning, here is the list of the Seahawks’ eight roster cuts today. They need to make seven more to get to 75 players by the league deadline of 1 p.m. tomorrow:

Terminated veteran contracts

T Wade Smith

CB Terrell Thomas

T Cory Brandon

RB Demitrius Bronson

S Mike Dobson

DE Jackson Jeffcoat

WR Kevin Smith

CB Thomas Wolfe

And, back by popular demand, the transcript of what Wagner said today:

LB Bobby Wagner

August 25, 2014

(On what was he able to see and notice while he was out that he didn’t when he was in there) I got to watch everybody a little bit more so I got to pay more attention to all the linebackers.  I felt like they did a great job, Brock [Coyle] did a great job stepping in. I really try to better my game as well. See if I can pick up something on the offensive side that I wouldn’t normally pick up because I was on the field trying to see a lot of stuff, just been trying to use this time to become a better player.

(On how nice it felt to be a player today) It was great. I got tired of watching everybody have fun. So it was good to have fun too.

(On him being involved in the warmups on Friday, does he feel like he can handle it) Yeah, I was supposed to run. They cleared me on Friday or the day before the game so I was like, if y’all are going to let me do that, then I might as well just go out there and warm up. Let me see how the warm up felt so I can get closer to getting back today.

(On how much does he need to get back into practice to where he feels like he is ready to go) I feel fine. I’ve been doing as much conditioning as I possibly can. When I got out there I didn’t feel tired at all and that’s why we do all the running in the off season and getting in shape, I feel like I’m still in pretty good shape.

(On him taking the time to help Brock Coyle learn the position) Definitely, I’ve talked to him a lot and I can relate to him small school guy. We have just been talking, try to teach him what I learned my rookie year and stuff I didn’t see my rookie year and stuff like that. I feel like he has done a great job learning the position and getting out there making plays and showing his value to the team.

(On what he sees as an observer of the offence) They just execute. They are consistent, doing a great job running the ball especially the last game. That first drive definitely looked pretty easy with Marshawn [Lynch] back. We are just getting everything back so once we get that first game we can get that ball rolling. I’m excited to see everybody on the team on the field at the same time.

(On how difficult the offense is to defend out here at practice every day) They are very difficult. You know you have Percy [Harvin], Marshawn [Lynch], you have Russell [Wilson], you’ve got Doug [Baldwin]. You know you have a lot of guys out there talented, fast — to go against an offense like that you definitely have to be on your A-game.

(On if it’s important for him to get any live game action before the regular season starts) Yeah, I would like to get out there before to get a feel for the game but at the same time it’s still the game we have been playing for a long time so I think I will be fine.

(On if they give Early Thomas a hard time for getting chased down by the punter) Of course, he talks about how fast he is and a punter caught him. The punter did run like a four-four forty or something like that so you have to give him a hard time when the punter catches you.

(On how Earl Thomas took it and if Wagner is okay with Thomas returning punts) He didn’t take it well, he’s Earl. I’m okay with him doing it. It’s what he wants to do, if that’s going to make him happy then let him do it.

1. MoSeahawk12 says:

Hope Okung gets right. He was limping pretty bad during the game. It sure seemed like more than being gassed and not in game shape. We need him.

2. Im hoping Kevin Smith, Jeffcoat and Bronson are brought back for the PS. Thomas Wolfe too.

Good to hear Wags is back, worrisome to hear Unger and Okung were gassed after two series. It sounded like Okung was having a hell of a time just muddling through, let alone playing to the level we expect out of him. And its not like we can expect him to be 100% in ten days either…

Not good to hear Lane is hurting; we have no nickel back behind him except Phillip Adams. I like that kid, but I dont want him starting just yet!

3. jchawks08 says:

Great nuggets today, Gregg, Thank you.

4. Southendzone says:

Good way to phrase your 2 vs 3 QB question. Actually got Pete to give some info and not a complete smokescreen.

5. Gregg Bell says:

Thanks jchawks08. appreciate it.

Southendzone: What’s funny about that: I’ve been waiting for three weeks to ask him that. And when I did, I initially said, “Do you have a philosophy on…?” As he should, Carroll responded with a flat, “yes.” Then, crickets.

Rule 1 of beginning interviewing — never ask a yes-no question for you might get a mere yes-no response.

So then I came back with, “A better question is, What is your philosophy on…”

6. wazzulander says:

Be happy you don’t cover New England, Gregg!.

7. Southendzone says:

Hey Gregg,

Did you get a chance to listen to any of the Harbaugh mid-week telephone interviews with the Seattle press last year? I think it was the 1st game when he gave the most disinterested, stand-offish answers possible.

That’s a shame about Farwell; he played his ass off against the Bears. But I am happy for Coyle, who they were likely to keep in place of Farwell anyway.

9. Dukeshire–I agree. Injuries like that happen as you age. Farwell has defied the odds for more than 10 years, he ought to get a medal just for lasting as long as he has. I hope he catches on somewhere and continues his career after this injury.

10. Ewalters7354 says:

Coyle will do a great job replacing Farwell.That’s about it.

Heath Farwell Jr.

11. RDPoulsbo says:

Coyle was likely to win the job outright. It really sucks that Farwell got injured as he likely would have been able to latch on with another team. This year, all that will be asked of Coyle is to be a ST contributor, but should Wright leave next year, he’ll have some experience to grow into Wagner’s backup. If not, it’s all about the competition and other guy could come along and take that spot.

Did anyone else see that great pass breakup play by Coyle on either Marshall or Jeffery.

That was a play that neither Wagner or Wright could make their rookie season.

And Wright couldn’t make a play like that until his third season.

Coyle is a keeper for sure with great football instincts in the run game & in the pass imo.

13. Georgia–Thank you.

EWalters–What gives? Guy plays so well PC says he’s exceeded any expectations of what a rookie could do, and you dub him no better than a ST’er for life? Thats as premature as proclaiming him a future HOFer–which no one is doing.

14. If Pryor is making excuses for not thinking he would play in an exhibition game, how can he be trusted in a real game when everyone knows Wilson is the starter? I was dissappointed in that comment.

15. doubledink says:

me too Bobby. Isn’t the #1 rule of a backup to prepare to start?

16. My prediction is Pryor will be cut. I am 100% sure that is my prediction.

17. Ewalters7354 says:

I never said he’s not a good player,but I will say he isn’t isn’t the second coming of Brian Urlacher. We all know Pete Carroll is Mr Positive,so hearing him praise a player isn’t really a surprise to me.

I do know that every time someone ask Pete a question about Coyle,he always says he has room to improve.

Starting Kj Wright at middle Linebacker this last preseason game showed his value to this team at this point. Straight ST. I bet he gets the same amount of playing time Farwell got.

18. PLUHawkFan says:

Some of Pryor’s issues I believe are similar to the problems Christine Michael had. Maturity. I don’t think the time he spent in Oakland helped him ANY in that regard.

If i’ve learned anything about the PC/JS philosophy is that they have character, and Talent traits they specifically look for. Somethings can be coached, some things can’t. Many of Pryor’s traits just can’t be coached. i.e.: the athleticism. Many of his “problem areas” can be, if he’s willing and listens.

I think much of the decision on keeping him or not is just that. Is he progressing and being coachable. That will determine whether PC/JS keep a 3rd Qb or not. IMHO of course.

I think thats why Christine Michael is being showed the confidence he is this season as well. He showed flashes of talent last year, but for most part sucked. Is that someone worth keeping on 53? For most teams probably not. But he’s shown that he can and will mature and he’s coachable. Thus I think he’s further along this year than many even would have predicted.

PC and JS are great at discovering and exploiting those character things and intangibles in players. I think thats part of the secret of the gems they keep seeming to find. They look at character and intangibles and then try to use those players in a way that enhances their strengths. Rather then trying to fit them in to the system? Did I make sense with that?

The one exception might be the O-line. (maybe Tom cable looks at things differently and maybe has more autonomy) But he seems to try to get people to fit the system, rather then playing to each individuals strengths. For the most part though I think PC and JS do the opposite. They use a players “strengths” to full advantage and just try to minimize their weaknesses.

“My prediction is Pryor will be cut. I am 100% sure that is my prediction.”

Pryor can’t be trusted but he is still a little more valuable to this team than Jackson is overall.

He will be good for the D to practice up for Kaep & Cam.

And I’m sure they can find a play or two for him at times to give the opposing defenses something to think about.

Jackson is only good for holding down the fort for a short time before one of his famous brain farts messes things all up.

Fool’s gold.

21. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I agree Duke, no reason to keep him. Even hes the #3 he would be inactive.

22. Besides the running touchdown (which no doubt was decent) what am I missing Pryor? I get he’s a phenomenal athlete but I have yet to see anything that makes me feel he could win any games for the Seahawks. Aaron curry was a great athlete too. Frankly, I’m scared at the thought of Pryor being a back up. He just doesn’t get it in my opinion.

23. Ewalters7354 says:

If PC/JS an keep Josh Portis on the 53 I see no reason why they won’t keep Pryor.The guy is a freakish athlete with loads of potential. That doesn’t mean he’ll be any good,but at least they can start somewhere like PLUHawkfan alluded to.

Just sayin…

24. Ewalters7354 says:

Every player on the 53 man roster doesn’t contribute.Just the name of the game.So saying he’ll be inactive anyway can go for the other players who’ll be inactive.Hell Deshawn Shed isn’t that good and he made the 53(thanks Jeron) and may even make it again this year.Why? Potential.

25. PLUHawkFan says:

I’m not saying I necessarily want him either (to be relied upon right now) But did you watch any of his games while he was in Oakland? He has shown flashes of being good. And NOT just his running. The problem with him is he is wildly inconsistent.

But do we know that he can’t be good/great? Oakland has been terrible year after year for a reason. I am trying to look at Pryor like I would if he was straight out of college. Unless you are one of those rare gems, College QB’s just don’t produce in NFL their first year.

Again I’m not saying Pryor will be any good. I’m just saying give him an opportunity to see if he will grow and progress. Which is exactly what I think JS/PC are doing. They obviously saw something they liked or they wouldn’t have traded for him, even if it was for only a 7th rounder.

Now to determine whether he can improve. Remember the coaches see, and know players MUCH better then we do. I guess thats why I’m saying I’ll take a wait and see.

I’ll put it this way, I trust PC. So he’s the type player (at this point) I won’t be upset if they cut, nor will I be upset if they decide to keep him.

26. Southendzone says:

the Hawks have a good track record of finding late round /UDFA gems and turning them into quality starters.

As far as I’m concerned the sky’s the limit for Coyle. He probably won’t reach insane heights of linebackership this year, but who knows? Maybe he’s just one of those guys that catches on and figures the game out. One thing we do know, he’s an elite athlete as far as measurables go. Let’s see him after a full season and then re-evaluate.

27. RDPoulsbo says:

I’m pretty meh on whether Pryor makes it on the 53 man roster or not. He’ll be a #3 QB, so he won’t be contributing on the field. In fact, there’s very little that’s ever needed out of someone that fills that role. Both Pryor and Jackson’s contracts are up at the end of the year, so none of this debate is about the future #2 in 2015. Neither Pryor nor Daniels will make it through waivers anyway, so it’s really just about keeping a guy around for the defense to practice against this year.

28. RDPoulsbo says:

It’s also worth noting that if the #3 QB debate is the biggest storyline of the preseason, that should tell you how little drama there is surrounding this team and that’s a good thing.

We could be fretting about Irvin possibly going to the PUP or Williams on IR, but there’s able replacements in place. No worries of complacency or backsliding. None of that. It seems everyone is just waiting for Sept. 4th to get here faster so games can actually count.

29. DanielleMND says:

From ESPN: “Pryor has a 29.9 passer rating for the preseason, ranking 111th out of the 114 quarterbacks who have taken a snap.”

30. I think Green Bay is in big trouble. Their nose tackle is out and they have a rookie center. The Raiders made their offensive line look bad in the pre season game they played.

Seahawks 30 Green Bay 10.

31. It will be worse than that Rbuzby.. 42-17

32. Labelling Coyle Heath Farwell Jr. isn’t as much of an insult as E Walters may think. Farwell has been an exceptional top level ST player his whole career and is a very adequate backup ILB. Coyle as rookie looks to be an improvement over an already very capable player. I think Coyle’s ceiling is a lot higher than E Walters believes. He has a habit of flowing quickly to ball and hitting with authority both nice qualities to have in a LB and especially pleasing to see in a rookie LB.

33. PLUHawkFan says:

Ok, I got an absolute kick out of a couple of articles I read today. They were about NFL rivalries and how the Seahawks/ SanFrancisco rivalry has been completely contrived by sportscasters and commentators.

There has been much ado about nothing made about the hate between Harbaugh and Carroll. And that Seattle has been a perennial loser, and only in the NFC Division for a few years. “Whatever”…

Both the articles went on to say Seattle has no real rival, and SanFrancisco’s rival is the Dallas Cowboys. (Ok an argument can be made for this) But ask SanFranscisco Fans who their rival is right now? I bet Seattle Tops Dallas by a mile.

Example to prove my point!
    Seahawks Effigy

Side note about something I had forgotten about though, even though I intuitively knew it. The Seahawks are the only team in NFL History to switch divisions and then go back.

1976 year we were expansion franchise we were NFC West. 1977 we switched conferences with the Buccaneers and moved to AFC west. Only to come back to NFC West in 2002.

Anyway, to quite rambling I do think we have a Real Rivalry with the 49’rs. At least most fans would say so

34. MikeFromNewJersey says:

For Shots and Giggles here is my updated 53 roster prediction.

QB(2) – Russell and TJack
    RB(4) – Beast, Turbin, Michael, Coleman
    WR(6) – Harvin, Baldwn, Kearse, Richardson, Lockette, Norwood(Walters if Nowood goes on IR)
    TE (3) – Miller, Willson, Helfet
    OL (9) – Okung, Carp, Unger, Sweey, Britt, Bailey, Winston, Lem, Schilling

DL(10)-MeBane, McDaniel, Avril, Bennett, K.Williams, Scruggs, J.Hill, Schofield, Marsh, Mayowa
    LB(7)- Wagner, KJ, Malcolm, Morgan, Irvin, Coyle, Pierre-Louis
    DB (9)- Sherm, Max, Kam, Earl, Lane, Simon, JJ, Shead, Adams

Specials(3) – Ryan, Haush, Gresham

Funny I was just about to post that from niner nation before I read your post PLU.

I would say there is a rivalry between us & the whiners.

In fact I believe Whiner fans are jealous because the Seahawks resemble the great niner teams of the eighties more than their team now does.

I didn’t read the linked article above so what I’m about to say may be moot, but, they always intended to pull the just-replaced sod up to examine the soil to see why the original sod didn’t take. For what it’s worth…

37. Anyone want to do a season prediction game? Post your results game by game (i.e. vs GB win +3 – type thing) etc

see who can be 95% or better?

38. My take on Pryor is:. You can’t teach him after the fact. Players will always revert to their muscle memory and he just doesn’t have the mental fortitude to be a good QB. He’ll always panic and either throw an INT or run for his life. Regardless of the team he’s on, he’s already been in the league for a few years and never really shown improvement. Wildly inconsistent and that’s how he’ll remain. He’s seen all the different defenses in the league and lined up against them on the NFL regular season level and couldn’t get it done. There is nothing he’s done here to prove otherwise. Same stuff he did in Oakland. Flashes of greatness but ultimately failure to prove he’s going to get better. And then has the dumb nerve to say he didn’t expect to play in last week’s game? I don’t want a back up QB on the Hawks who thinks that way. Ask Tavaris the same question when he’s barely played this preseason and I bet he’d answer that he’s ready to go at all times. Pryor is nothing but a freakish athlete who will never cut it in the NFL like so many before him. I’m sorry but I’m 95% right on this one.

39. SaigonSun says:

I like Daniels over Pryor. I don’t think we should keep 3 QBs on 53. As for PS I would like to see Price to come back to the Seahawks. I hope he can do well for us. I feel good for him. Next year he might even move up to 53. Book it ! LOL

40. DFloydd

I think you are right, even though “muscle memory” doesn’t exist in reality. I think they will cut Pryor. We need an extra lineman more than we need Pryor,

Even so, I don’t think the draft pick they used on him was “wasted”. This is a team that has undrafted free agents on it. There was nobody the Seahawks wanted with that 7th pick that they couldn’t have gotten as an UDFA. They wanted to take a look at Pryor, and they did, and it’s time to let him go.

41. I don’t see why we would keep Pryor, someone who would never, and I mean ever, see the field. Also, if he’s a free agent after this year what would be the point. Why wouldn’t we just sign him after this year? Plus, if he honestly wants to try and start somewhere, why would he stay with us, wouldn’t he just leave anyways next year.

I don’t think Carroll picked Pryor up because he was a good QB.
    He picked him up because he was a unique weapon.

Who knows all the possible ways they may use him.
    And no way the Seahawks are going to show their hand until they are ready with regards to how they use Pryor if they keep him.

43. Seahawks go wildcat? Everyone knows Pryor isn’t going to be thowin’ dimes, and if you’re thinkin’ QB option, I think Wilson remains the guy, especially w/Harvin. You can trust Wilson, Pryor not so much. Maybe Pryor’s are 4th RB we keep.

44. DDFloyd – Your take on Pryor is pretty much the exact take everyone in the league had on T-Jack a number of years ago and a reason I wanted nothing to do with him as a starter. However, he’s improved by leaps and bounds to the point of being a quality back-up QB.

But I agree with Georgia 100% on this:

“I don’t think Carroll picked Pryor up because he was a good QB. He picked him up because he was a unique weapon. If they keep three I bet Pryor sees the field more than Jackson does when the game matters.”

Jackson is the QB we want in there should something happen to Wilson. However, if all we’re looking for is a unique player with a unique talent to get a snap or two this week or that – Pryor is a guy I see as having the ability to get some things done unconventionally from the QB position by using a body to make some plays that we’d never want to risk with Wilson.

I’m cool with keeping only Wilson and Jackson, but I’m good with keeping all three, in which case I think we’d see some Pryor every once in awhile (and more than Jackson, as long as Wilson is healthy).

We shall see…

45. Sure rbuzby. I agree. I guess meant in theory. But all these comments of people thinking they’ll use Pryor in the regular season as a weapon or wild cat or anything like that makes no sense. This team has never been like that and Pete won’t change that now. Coach is all about special teams, great defense and controlling the clock through turnovers on offense and a pounding run game. I don’t see them getting crazy with the cheese whizz as far as trick plays or wildcat or anything like that. Pryor is gone as far as I’m concerned. He’s shown who he is…not that good of a QB. That’s it….

46. *through NO turnovers on offense

47. I think Pete has proven that he’ll do whatever it takes to win and will use all of his players in any manner in which he thinks the team can use those skills to best succeed. We didn’t see many WR running plays when Harvin didn’t play, but we sure saw plenty when he was healthy in that limited time last year. He had a unique player and they were going to use him to his strengths. Same with Pryor, IMO, as far as finding a talent and using it once in awhile. However, you could be right and that Pryor is gone, too. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

48. Agree ^^^^

49. Agree with DFloydd

50. I’m seeing our offense controlling the ball w/Lynch, then airing it out on play action just like last year, except this year you throw in Harvin for some different little wrinkles like on the option plays. I’m predicting we’re going to see a very well oiled machine on offense were there will be no need for Pryor to come in and make some plays. If it comes to that, I think we will be if some serious trouble.

51. I can see your point BobbyK. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. Either way we’ll all know next Monday who’s made the team. Can’t wait. And as far as your earlier post, you are absolutely right that the same exact things were said about TJack and so that is part of the reason I don’t think they’ll want to start from scratch with the same situation they had with TJack as they will with Pryor unless maybe TJack was 35 years old and no good anymore. He’s got a few more good years as a back up. Anyways….just how I see it…

52. Ewalters7354 says:

Funny thing is I never once said Coyle wasn’t good. All I said was he reminds me of Heath Farwell. Why does everything a person says about a player has to be an insult? I haven’t watched him in college but so far what I have seen is a young guy who’ll take some adjust to the pro level.

Maybe he shocks the world and becomes an All Pro,I would love that. But with the return of Malcolm,Bobby,and Bruce,he’s gonna be buried in the depth chart and may not even be active much.

Just cause I feel like that doesn’t mean I’m disrespecting anyone smh

53. All I can say is that I’m 95% sure that there’s about a 50-50 chance that Pryor makes the team or gets cut. :)

54. EWalters – How’s your little guy doing these days? Getting any sleep?

55. RDPoulsbo says:

DDFloyd is right on this one. This offense is on track to be a force to be reckoned with, and people are suggesting they use a gimmick offense? It’s this simple: if you don’t trust the ball in Pryor’s hands, why put the ball in his hands? Especially when you have weapons like Harvin, Michael, Lynch or Wilson’s own scrambling abilities. It doesn’t make sense.

56. MikeFromNewJersey says:

@Ewalters.. Agreed. Coyle is gonna make this team and basically be the 3rd string Mike and probably take turns with Pierre-Louis as an inactive.

57. Ewalters7354 says:

Bobbyk,he’s doing great man!He’s a month old now and just seeing him grow before my eyes is definitely a special thing to experience.

Sleep? Surprisingly,he sleeps through the night.We only have to wake him up when it’s time to eat and right back to sleep he goes lol

Thanks for asking.

You have to wake him up. Lol. 99% of the parents of newborns hate you right now. Lol

59. Ewalters7354 says:

Yea Duke I definitely lucked up lol

60. Coyle is going to make the team IMO but he will ALWAYS have to work hard to stay on the team – he does not seem to be as fast as the coaches like across the board – he can clearly make up for that with intelligence and instincts but if a similar player with better speed shows up he could be in trouble!

61. A funny excerpt from that article I linked earlier.

“Michael Crabtree is only 26, which is amazing because it feels like he’s been terrible for forever.

Colin Kaepernick looks exactly like a middle school kid who spilled milk all over his sweatpants at recess.

We should still manage to make the playoffs, if half our defense isn’t in jail for stabbing the other half.”

62. Ewalters7354 says:

I think we all want to see Coyle succeed. Just seems like because he stepped in with the no 1 defense in practice and 2 preseason games and did ok,people are acting like he’s the next late round hit.I’m not saying he isn’t,but I also don’t think he comes in and lights the world on fire.

It’ll take the guy a few years to really get going.Kinda like it did with Malcolm Smith.Pete seems to be patient with later round or undrafted free agents like Coyle.

There are only few Vintage Burfict’s that come in and are. promised a future in the NFL, and like someone alluded to,all the Hawks have to do is hit on a more athletic and natural NFL linebacker in the draft,and Coyle can certainly be in trouble.

63. DFloydd

“But all these comments of people thinking they’ll use Pryor in the regular season as a weapon or wild cat or anything like that makes no sense.”

You are 100% right.

Fans keep trying to think of unusual ways to win games. Pryor has said he has no ability to, or interest in, playing another position besides QB.

64. bird_spit says:

I think we have gotten the 7th round value out of Pryor already. Let him walk. He has been running all over the VMAC and have given all the defense something to remember during camp, and on film. I hope like hell PC, and our offense does not go with the Pryor trick play ever. I will take the clutch RW every snap, and God forbid, the TJack vet holding down the fort for 1-2 games. Outside of 1-2 games, it won’t matter. Season will be in jeopardy if RW misses more than a couple of games, and if we suck, I’m hoping we tank to get better draft position. Sorry folks, after playing enough Madden I’m all for sucking for a draft pos. lol

Knocking on wood…this could be a great season, just dont need the extra QB no matter his 40 speed.

65. EWalters–I had forgotten you had a new little one: my second is four months. Dont be surprised if your guy starts teething at two months and quits sleeping through the night…or not. They are all different, they change, and you will know what to do because you are this ones Daddy. It will all be fine. I dont know much, but I do know that.

Im sure youre a great Dad and just remember that when it gets hard, it just makes the bond stronger later. Cause you know you gave all.

Mocarob–“During the end of Candlestick Park (which was a god awful s…hole of concrete and frozen human sadness) the Niners kept trotting out Eddie DeBartolo to thunderous applause. It’s like everyone forgot he was caught in a felony investigation involving paying bribes to open a god damn riverboat casino. If you add a ghost costume in the mix, he was basically brought down by a Scooby-doo plot.”

Holy crap! That is hilarious! Ive been ragging on the Niners for buying their SB’s with laundered Drug Money for years…everyone ignores the truth and thinks Im nuts….

No one cares ten years later what he did to get the money to buy championships outright…

I think Coyle is a better athlete than Burfict, and he is smart, not dumb as crap like that guy. Of course he isnt ready to start, but if we had to ride with him I’d feel better than with Farwell. Admittedly, I think Wright would slide over to MLB and wed go with Smith and Irvin at Will and Sam, and Coyle would ride the pine. But for an UDFA from a lower division, he’s been a revelation. He is better even than I thought he;d be, and I live in Montana and saw him play. Like Doug Baldwin, he just “gets it” and gets the job done.

66. Southendzone says:

Theres not enough tape on Pryor yet to say he sucks and wont ever make it.

its possible that he will never be a good passer, we have seen evidence of that, but I’d like to see him with an extended opportunity on a medium to good team with a good coach before writing him off.

67. One thing no one has mentioned about Pryor: he was never coached to be a real qb in college: they just wound him up, and let his athleticism carry thier poor coaching and gameplanning and playcalling to victory.

In Seattle, for the first time in his career, he has decent coaches to teach him the fundamentals. Will he learn in time? Hard to say, but I’d say hes come a long way in a short time.

I too was disgusted by his admission that he wasnt ready mentally to play since he thought he wasnt going to. I wouldnt put it past Seattle to have deliberately led him to believe he wasnt going to play and then putting him in. Regardless, he failed in epic fashion, and it might cost him his job.

I still think Seattle wants to see how he responds: Im quite sure they were honest with him that he has to make them keep him on the roster, that its Kevin Pierre Louis, Phillip Adams, and/or Benson Mayowa they may have to cut to keep him, so he’s got to force his way back on the roster or else meet The Turk (again)…

68. Just my opinion, but I dont see Seattle using the Wildcat or any variation with any qb other than RW. I just dont.

If they keep Pryor, its because they see progress, and hope they can teach him to improve and replace T-Jack as backup next year. A developmental role.

As for Muscle Memory, it takes along time to develop, but its still possible to train an athlete at this stage, and I think Seattle will attempt that with Pryor if he plays well vs the Raiders.

69. As to whether the Seahawks will use the wildcat, I might remind you that Carroll has not been reluctant to throw in an occasional trick play. Marshawn throwing back to Russell for a pass down field? Remember anything like that?

It would not shock me to see Pryor and Wilson in the same backfield, Wilson going in motion, Pryor taking a direct snap and running into space. Defenses would be confused, it could work. Using Pryor’s running skills would be something that Carroll would enjoy employing. Not often, but in just the right situation.

I think that Carroll enjoys using the special talents he has accumulated in different ways that befuddle the other teams. He is not Jack Patera using trickery because he doesn’t have much else, but he is giving the opponent another thing to think about.

70. surelyyoujest says:

As much as PC likes Pryor, it will still come down to balancing that against players at other positions. If there is a greater need or like elsewhere, his arse is dropped. And if not at the first cut to 53, as soon as we need the roster spot.

71. Ewalters7354 says:

Thanks for the heads up STTBM lol I’m so not looking forward to those days

72. SaigonSun says:

Slave, don’t forget Pryor wants to be starter. That’s not going to happen in Seattle. Let him go. I wish we could keep him….but, one year rental at the expense of loosing a good player elsewhere — I don’t think so.

Oldslow makes sense.

Pryor can also be used without ever touching the ball too as a decoy.

This could be just similar to New England kicking the tires with Tebow.

At least this all makes it a little more interesting for us fans.

74. MikeFromNewJersey says:

I think in a perfect world they would like to trade Pryor to an AFC team. Not sure who need’s a QB but he is obviously number 3 here.

It is nice to know we have players like Coyle that can step in when we start losing linebackers to free agency or injuries.
    Coyle arguably had the best rookie camp of them all & he wasn’t even drafted.

How can you not get excited about that?

If you were to take Coyle’s brain & put it in Irvins body Irvin would be closer to all pro instead of to all bust.

Coyle is a keeper & a Damn good athlete too!!!

Pryor could be a #1 with the Jets but that isn’t saying much.

“Come on Jets, give up that 5th rounder you waste every year anyways.”

77. If all LB’s were healthy, back-up MLB would continue to be KJ Wright. With Irvin injured, I think the question is who is LB #4? (Top 3 LB Wagner, Wright and Smith) If Coyle sticks on the 53, it will be to play specials.

Terrelle Pryor has had plenty of opportunity in Oakland and Seattle to prove himself. What he has shown is that he is a extraordinary athlete but doesn’t have good enough decision making to ever play the QB position in the NFL.

How would Pryor be an effective “decoy”? I can’t imagine Pryor has truly concerned a defense under center, let alone at another position, one which he has never played in the league.

Seattle hasn’t run even a single wildcat snap under Carroll, to my recollection. I wouldn’t look for that to change this season.

79. montanamike2 says:

I think that Marsh puts on a show in Oakland in a few days. I love that Coyle can make the correct calls as a Mike, but there’s no man crush, just glad when we get another solid pickup that can contribute. As a local kid we wish him the best but if he was cut i wouldn’t burn my jersey.

80. montanamike2 says:

I trust PC/JS for talent, if Pryor isn’t being groomed for next years back up, then maybe he’s trade bait. Again i wouldn’t shed tears if he were cut.

81. BigShermyWorm says:

Anyone have any Michael Bowie updates?

82. Michael Bowie had emergency surgery on his stomach after eating the entire Dog Biscuit stash of the 500 Browns fans who managed to get on antidepressants and attend a Browns preseason game…On the way back to the team, he stopped and bought them donuts…but ate them all….

83. chuck_easton says:

Actually if Irvin is healthy the top three LB’s are Wright, Wagner, Irvin. Smith is still listed as Irvin’s backup.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out over the season, but Smith was 2nd team last year until injuries got him into the lineup just in time for him to shine in the playoffs.

Injuries didn’t get Smith into the lineup.

His play got him there combined with Irvin’s lack of play.

85. RDPoulsbo says:

Why use Pryor when you have better weapons who can also serve as decoys? Just no point in getting to cute when you have an offense that’s clicking. Gadget plays are meant to spark an offense. Harvin is that constant spark.

Coulee has been impressive in his outings for a UDFA. I wouldn’t be calling fit him to become a starter anytime soon, but he’s shown he can handle the job against some good QBs if messed. At the very least, he’s earned a spot for this season.

86. It doesn’t get alot of talk, but it will be interesting to see what happens with Irvin after this year. Unless there are some big changes in performance, I would be happy to cut Irvin to help keep KJ and/or Smith.

87. Agreed Georgia.

If you look at the NFC Championship and Superbowl tapes you can see that Smith is getting way more snaps than Irvin.

How can Pryor be an effective decoy?

Same as how can a D lineman make a successful position change to guard in just under two years.

And so on and so on.

Because with Carroll things are possible that perhaps couldn’t or wouldn’t be with other NFL teams.

Not saying Pryor will do these things however it certainly is not impossible as we have seen many times already with all the crow servings that doubters have had to digest when it comes to Carroll & some of his so called questionable moves.

89. montanamike2 says:

Agreed blocis, i would rather keep KJ over Irvin. I would rather keep Wagner over Smith too, even though he’s SB MVP.

Even before that Irvin was getting less snaps.

After about halfway through the season last year I noticed Irvin getting less snaps & Smith getting more. Especially in passing downs. And Irvins snaps continued to decrease by seasons end.

At one point Irvin had like two total tackles in three games.

91. Hubrismh says:

At this point I look at Irving is a bonus player. Now that we are used to him not being here, should he return to action with any type of special abilities, it will be a major bonus. While it’s true that he has incredible and insane physical abilities, he’s also shown that he really doesn’t seem to get it all the time. Should something clicking his brain to where he finally understands his responsibilities at linebacker then we could truly have the best linebackers in the league. Granted it last year was his first year at linebacker and a new position so we could all be in for a treat this year if you really starts getting it.

92. Irvin was utterly shutting down receiving to his side of the field. Teams flat wouldnt throw his way, because he’s sound in coverage. His weakness is vs the run, where he wasnt stout. He made the occasional splash play vs the run, but more often then not got pushed around.

Smith just played so well they had to give him snaps. I was calling for him to get reps ahead of Wright early in the year, as Wright was garbage in coverage for the first quarter of the season. Then Wright magically became the best coverage LB in the NFL, seemingly overnight. Which made Smith ride the pine when he should have been playing.

Seattle has so many good LB’s, its almost enough to make me want them to go 3-4, even though I hate 3-4 defenses and we dont have a NT (Scruggs and McDaniels could play DE in a 3-4).

Irvin will be used in a pass-rush mode A LOT this season, is what I think. Sometimes as a pass-rushing DE, sometimes rushed from his SAM spot, and sometimes as a DE/LB hybrid. They just flat have to utilize his speed, and he should have some pass-rush moves in his repertoire by now.

His biggest problem isnt sucking or making mistakes–its a lack of splash plays. Like I said, no one throws at him, but they run at him. If he can stiffen up vs the run, and get some qb pressure, he’ll be a real asset to this team.

I think its far more likely PC and company figure out how to move Irvin around and utilize him to the fullest than put Pryor in for trick plays.

93. To be clear, I dont think its impossible for Pryor to be successful as a part-time qb, I just dont think Seattle will bother. If they keep him, it will be to groom him as a backup for RW, not a part-time player. If they use him in that regard, I would expect it to be a handful of times all year, not a handful per game.

“How can Pryor be an effective decoy? Same as how can Thomas be an effective punt returner when he has never returned punts in the NFL before. Same as how can a short QB win the starting position his rookie year & go on to be a top five QB by the end of his second year.”

None of the examples you’ve cited represent a “decoy” element. It’s a bit of a non sequitur. What you’ve listed is action and results. Being a decoy is the illusion of a threat without ever have to actually perform. I simply don’t see how Pryor represents that. That is, I can’t imagine any defense being thrown off or concerned if Pryor were to enter the game as, say, a receiver or RB.

STTBM – I too was impressed with Irvin’s coverage ability on the strong side, in just his first season at LB.

If Irvin was so great in pass coverage why did he get pulled out so often on obvious passing downs?

I don’t now if this is really true but I read yesterday that when Irvin was in the game the Seahawks allowed one yard less per run play.

97. bird_spit says:

Bruce will be fine if he can just figure out how to be healthy or eligible for practice. His development has been hindered the last few years. And at his age, his window will be closing.

GeorgiaHawk – Passing downs the defense subs to their nickel package and the strong side ‘backer comes off the field for the “nickel” corner.

99. RDPoulsbo says:

As I’ve mentioned before, why have Pryor as a decoy when they already have Harvin and Richardson who can both run fake fly sweeps just as easily. Even more, they can take the ball and be an actual threat to break a big run. Lynch throwing the ball a couple times a year works because no one expects it and instead feel they need to crash the box because he’ll beat down a couple would be tacklers if they don’t. They never tried that with Mike Rob because teams knew he was a former QB. Same with Pryor. Why would it confuse defenses if Seattle snaps the ball to a less effective QB?

100. RDPoulsbo says:

This should be a make or break year for Irvin. He was drafted as a DE/Leo, but can’t handle the run at the line. Now he’s a Sam and hardly rushes the QB, which is why Seattle drafted him so high in the first place. For a mid-1st round pick, they sure aren’t getting the value they were looking for.

101. Big thank you to a true football player, Heath Farwell. UFDA that became a Pro Bowl player (2009) and lasted in the league into his 30’s. Led the Seahawks in ST tackles basically since he got here. Our ST’s just got weaker and no, you can’t just plug Coyle in his spot and expect the same production.

A little respect for Farwell is in order here. Go Hawks!

To cut through the chase before this gets meticulous ridiculous Pryor’s Prior (action) is what qualifies him to be a possible decoy.
    And if you don’t believe that fine.
    However you would have a hard time convincing the Steeler’s defense of that imo.

Bottom line 1- unique talent.

Bottom line 2- think of the possibilities, says Pete Carroll.

Bottom line 3- Magicians have to perform to create illusions.

Illusions just don’t happen.

Think of Wilson as the magician. Think of A player like Pryor as a tool for Wilson to fool the opposition.

BTW Wilson reminds me of the magician on the Carbonaro effect show.

Sounds a little like him too.

So you are saying that Smith is part of the nickel package & Irvin isn’t?

104. I just don’t get the irrational love or want of Pryor on this team. He is not good at all. Why do people keep on insisting he is of any value whatsoever? I am baffled. He’s the 111th ranked QB in the preseason and some want him used as a decoy or weapon in the regular season? I guess some just can’t let go of an idea once they’re stuck on it. After what I’ve seen from the guy I hope he gets cut or traded.

105. chuck_easton says:

blocis and Georgia,

I simply go off a combination of what we see on the field and what the team puts out as their not-so-official/official depth chart.

Even on the 2014 Depth Chart Irvin, Wagner, and Wright are still listed as the starters. Morgan, Coyle, and Smith are second unit.

The team still considers Irvin their starting LB.

As I said, lets wait to see how things play out and who takes more snaps, but as of today Irvin is still considered ahead of Smith on the team’s depth chart.

106. chuck_easton says:

This can and will be debated until such time as there is a regular season game with all the LB’s healthy and active.

If Irvin lines up with Wagner and Wright for the first defensive series the team considers him the starter regardless of how many snaps each guy gets. If Smith starts the first defensive series, he’s considered the starter.

Wow DFloydd

It’s not about Pryor to me , it’s about the the organizations MO.

Their outside the box thinking is what got us our first Super Bowl.

Not saying Pryor will be anything special but we’re not talking about a starting position here.

Imagine how the Seahawks would be right now without taking some risks along the way.

* No Lynch.
    * No Wilson.
    * No Harvin.
    * No Sweezy.
    * No Smith.
    * No Maxwell.

And most important * No Super Bowl.

108. trout_hound says:

Years ago I saw on a Seahawks injury report that one of their defensive backs suffered a ‘ruptured testicle”. That didn’t sound like a lot of fun. Farwell was obviously kicked in the jewels on that play, and Carroll called it ‘extensive groin damage’. Wonder if it was the same thing…

109. chuck_easton says:

Oh, and one final note on the Irvin/Smith issue. Both guys started the Superbowl. Wright was not a starter due to his injuries.

So, again, until there is a game where at least the big four Wright, Smith, Wagner, and Irvin are all healthy and ready to go we can debate this.

I put my opinion on what the team puts out as their depth chart and they have Irvin ahead of Smith. So I will venture that Irvin will start the game over Smith.

110. RDPoulsbo says:

IMO, the only reason Pryor will make the team is because they know there’s a bunch of teams that have dumpster fires disguised as backup QBs, so it’s very unlikely either Pryor or Daniels passes through waivers to make the PS where one can play scout QB for the defense. Do they keep him so they don’t have to scavenge the leftovers to fill that role? Perhaps, but it’s kind of hard to be a secret weapon on the field when he’s the #3 QB and listed as inactive week in, week out.

111. doubledink says:

That was Paul Moyer, and he finished the game!

112. DreadHawks says:

@Georgia, imagine if they gave Mora another year or two. Ugh!

So you are not talking about the top three (as in best) linebackers Chuck. Or the top three play makers. You are talking about what is listed on the depth chart.

Ok I see where you are coming from there.

Did you also see what Carpenters listed weight was last season?

I don’t think all positions are so cut & dry like others are simply by looking at a depth chart.

just by your user name alone I will take your word on that.

DreadHawks, Mora was dreadful down here in Atlanta.

That should have been a sign for things to come for the Seahawks. But it all turned out good.

Super good!

116. When Paul Moyer suffered a career ending injury right after he got good and won a starting job, Chuck Knox hired him as DB’s coach. Moyer says he told his staff “Any guy that can play with a ruptured testicle can be a coach for me”.

117. Georgia–Smith wasnt in on third downs a lot either. They take a LB out when its nickel coverage, just as was stated above. Someone has to come out.

If youre arguing that Smith is better than Irvin, I doubt many will argue with you. But for a guy in his first year at LB, I dont think Irvin was all that bad, and he still has potential.

I wish we had drafted Jones though. Or any number of other athletes. I wish Seattle would concentrate on not wasting first round picks on reaches like Carp and Irvin though…

I know they usually take a linebacker out with the nickel.

And sometimes they take out one of the D-lineman instead (on obvious pass plays) & rush three.
    It doesn’t change the fact that Smith was in way more passing plays than Irvin was.

Smith was in on many passing plays & running plays as the season wore on.
    Much more so than Irvin.

I am not giving up on him but Smith really blew right by him last season & has a much better feel for the game at a younger age.

I agree with you that
    Unfortunately high round picks that don’t live up to their potential will always get the benefit of the doubt in the NFL no matter how much us fans know better.

That’s just the way it is.

119. chuck_easton says:

Again Georgia,

We get it. You aren’t a big Irvin fan.

Let’s wait a couple of weeks when both Irvin and Smith are healthy and see who the team puts in at the start of the game.

You know, that is the definition of a starter. The guy who STARTS the game.

Time will indeed tell if Smith has passed Irvin.

120. Just like last year, I cant see how they can afford to have Smith on the bench. The guys good. I also cant see Irvin not playing at all. They will come up with something, even if its Irvin playing three positions and switching back and forth all the time…

GeorgiaHawk – Given that one option, yes. But Seattle will sometimes just keep Wagner and Wright in (MLB and weak side, respectively). Smith didn’t play a ton of nickel last year because they moved him to Sam. But there are a lot of factors involved. But as a general rule of thumb, the strong side LB comes off the field in nickel.

It’s not who starts the game but who finishes the game that matters.
    And more importantly who has the greatest impact on the game.

You could be right that Irvin is the starter but who really cares about that?

I’m not against Irvin playing more if he plays to the standard of the other three.

Speaking for myself I am first a huge Seahawks fan. Much like you are, so I want the best team on the field as much as possible for the best chance to win.

Don’t you think Smith has now earned that opportunity?

And yes I don’t like the overall play of Irvin since about the middle of his rookie year when teams figured out his one trick pass rush move.

I’m still rooting for him though & hope he gets it together because if he does he could help this defense take it to another level if that’s even possible.

Thanks Duke.

It would be cool some day if Gregg were to use you to help break down a defensive series or two with your knowledge of schemes.

To help some of us out who can get confused at times with the Sam, Will & Mike in a defensive scheme with the Sam, Will & Mike at the bar.

124. chuck_easton says:

I love Smith. I also love every other LB on the team. Can’t have enough of them.

The team will figure out how to use them all.

And unfortunately we all know they won’t be able to keep them all when contracts come due.

I’m not ready to write Irvin off yet. It’s a little easier to take the thought of losing one of these LB’s knowing there are several that can and should be starters for any other team.

I probably should back off on Irvin & give it a rest.

126. Ray_Maines says:

The “Starting Linebacker” is often the best athlete, rather than the best pass defender or the best run stopper. Sometimes not even the best athlete, just the guy most likely to make the best reads and be in the right place as the play unfolds. As the game unfolds the situational players play more and more and that may or may not be the Starter. The game is more sophisticated now than it used to be, and being the starter doesn’t always equal being the best.