Seahawks have backup-quarterback issue to settle in this short week before Thursday’s final exhibition at Oakland

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 24, 2014 at 8:43 am with 157 Comments »
August 24, 2014 8:43 am

The Seahawks get a second consecutive day off from practicing today. They will be back on the field at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center on Monday. There are three days of workouts in Renton this week before the team flies to Oakland for the fourth and final exhibition game.

Expect to see plenty of Tarvaris Jackson Thursday in Oakland when the Seahawks play their final exhibition. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Russell Wilson doesn’t play a down on Thursday, so that coach Pete Carroll and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell can split the entire game between Tarvaris Jackson and Terrelle Pryor. The Raiders came will a final determinant on who should be the primary backup quarterback, and on whether Seattle will keep three QBs on the 53-man regular-season roster. The final cut day is Saturday.

The NFL’s intermediate deadline to trim the current, 90-man preseason roster to 75 is 1 p.m. this Tuesday.

It used to be these two cut-down days were weeks apart. In one way it is good for the players’ union that the cut days are closer together like this — more fringe players having jobs and receiving preseason living allowances for longer before getting cut. Yet it’s also bad for players, especially any veteran ones who get cut on Tuesday, because now they have just four days to find new jobs and impress a new team before the regular-season rosters are due to be set. No more cutting a veteran on the earlier deadline day for the courtesy of allowing him to find a job elsewhere, which is how coaches and general managers used to spin their releasing of vets in the middle of Augusts past.

–In today’s News Tribune Pete Carroll playfully suggests one “big” issue with the Seahawks’ starters converting 12 of 13 first downs while outscoring Chicago and San Diego 55-0 in the first halves of the last two exhibitions: His punter is lonely. The crux of my story is that while, yes, this is only the preseason, Wilson and his teammates on offense are marveling over how many so many more weapons than it did last season.

Really, the main difference from 2013 to now is the rebuilt rocket named Percy Harvin. He alone is changing the way the Seahawks are calling plays, and the way teams defend fellow wide receivers Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, even Seattle’s running backs. If he can stay as healthy as he looks and feels now, Harvin will be Seahawks game-changer in more ways than first meets the eye this season, and a migraine each week for opposing defensive coordinators.

–Columnist Dave Boling writes in today’s TNT that after a decade of Super Bowl champions failing to even come close to repeating, “what if, for once, things go right for the defending champ? It has to at some point, right?”

National folks still seem reluctant to believe Carroll is really, actually, no-fooling-around, is-he-nuts going to put All-Pro safety Earl Thomas back as his primary punt returner this season.

Either Thomas will be that guy on Sept. 4 against Green Bay, or Carroll is putting on one heck of an extended, summer trial/ruse.

Thomas said after he brought back a Bears punt 59 yards on Friday night that it felt like he was back in high school in Orange, Texas, again, running around playing every snap and never coming out of the game.

“I just want to help impact the game,” he also said.

Neither he nor Carroll wanted to talk about the Bears’ rookie punter tackling Thomas at the Chicago 16. But chances are more than decent that some of Thomas’ more vocal teammates — I think you can predict a few — had a thing or three to say about it inside the team film room this weekend.

–In more NFC West injury news: The St. Louis Rams are waiting for an MRI exam to determine if quarterback Sam Bradford’s reconstructed left knee is damaged again, but initial reports it is not. Bradford left last night’s exhibition against Cleveland after getting bumped awkwardly by Browns defensive end Armonty Bryant after he threw a pass. Rams coach Jeff Fisher thinks Bradford may have merely hyperextended the knee.

A week ago Arizona lost defensive tackle Darnell Dockett, the anchor to its defense, for the season to a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee. The Cardinals’ defense is now searching for answers.

As these injuries show, the preseason doesn’t matter — until it does.

1. montanamike2 says:

I think Bradford is an injury waiting to happen, even if he makes it out of this one OK.

What’s your projected 53 Gregg?

3. I’ve liked Bradford since college. I wonder what he could do with a decent O-line and a season healthy?

4. I asked how Korey Toomer did Friday, but no one has said a peep..,Anyone notice him at all?!

True Montana about Bradford.

I would almost rather face his backup than him because the Rams seem to feed off of a tougher QB like last year.

6. Hubrismh says:

Bradford is glass china in a shop full of clumsy bulls

7. Hammajamma says:

Jackson would have to get hurt not to be the primary backup. I don’t see any drama here.

I saw Toomer on one play but I didn’t get to see much of the game because of the NFL network garbage.

They have a replay of the game coming up at 10:am Pacific time tomorrow.

Not sure how many plays Toomer got but I will watch for him on the replay.
    That is if the NFL network shows the whole game this time instead of bits & pieces.

9. Hubrismh says:

Pry ore last gasp will be interestingly against the defense he knows best in the league, but the ironic twist is that they know his weaknesses too…

My e we can get a 4th or 5th for him if he shows well…

10. Hubrismh says:

He should start too, so we get a glimpse of how he handles a first team defense.

I predict he doesn’t make the squad… He just can’t throw on the run…

11. Hubrismh says:

And BJ goes to the PS

12. montanamike2 says:

That’s what i’m thinking, either we see if he has anything for the future or we are showcasing him for a pick.

13. Ray_Maines says:

I don’t want RW to play a down against the Raiders. I don’t want any of the other starters to play either. Wrap them all up in bubble wrap and lock them in their hotel rooms.

Hey, are we going to do a Pigskin-Pick’em contest this year?

14. oldtallguy says:

MontanaMike
    Grannys, I happened upon this place a couple months ago when I drove over to Manhattan to get a steak.

15. montanamike2 says:

Thanks, i’ll write that down. My wife is Korean and she doesn’t eat any sweets but does have a weakness for the occasional doughnut, me, i like all kinds of doughnuts so it’ll be a good excuse to grab some. oldtallguy are you in the area? I use to love the steakfingers and fried chicken at the Oasis in the bar section, but now they use imported meats so not as good.

16. oldtallguy says:

Toomer played 7 uneventful snaps. The big surprise was that Lockette only played 2 snaps on offense which to me that he’s out the door. I think that if you rank the remaining players after Tuesdays cut down, no way players 54 to 64 gets on our practice squad.

17. oldtallguy says:

I live north of Longview Washington. I happened to be in Bozeman in the early 90s and Oasis was recommended. I have made it a point to make a yearly trip back. This year will be the last to the Oasis. Big drop in quality, but might have to keep coming for grannys.

18. I checked the DVRs guide for upcoming Seahawk programming & here’s the list leading up to Thursday Night Kickoff.

9.1 SB highlights 530pm NFLN
    9.2 SB48 11am NFLN
    9.2 NFL films – LOB 530pm ESPN
    9.3 2013 Yearbook 11am NFLN
    9.3 Americas Game 5pm NFLN

19. montanamike2 says:

Thanks mocarob i’ll set my DVR. oldtallguy next time you’re in town let me know.

20. montanamike2 says:

I thought it was today that i could watch the replay, but it’s tomorrow.

If Jackson is in fact the #2 already I don’t want to see him at all against the Raiders either.

Pryor first half, Daniels second half.

I also want to see more of (Ware have you been lately) Ware.

And will we get a servin of Irvin?

This last pre-season game could be very entertaining with so many jobs on the line.

Chris Harper (former 4th round pick by the Seahawks) has been released by the Packers.

23. Southendzone says:

Mixed news about Bradford’s knee, but some reports out there that it’s a re-injury of his same ACL.

24. jawpeace says:

Georgia I disagree the Hawks need to play Jackson as this will be his last real action until who knows when and hopefully not at all. Also I rather the Hawks not play BJ at all. The reason- the more they play him the more other teams get to see him and then his chances of making to our practice squad decreases.
    So I would like to see RW for the first series to keep him sharp. T. Jack until half time. Then let Prior play the second half.

25. montanamike2 says:

yeah, mixed news.

26. Georgia–Now maybe you can see why Seattle didn’t have a lot if patience with Harper. Norwood is already better than him…

Oldtallguy–I used to work in the woods all over SW WA. I wirked in the Menlo/Raymond area before I came back to MT…

27. I will feel so bad for Bradford and the Rams if he tore his knee again…

Georgia–To be clear, I’m not picking on you about Harper–I liked him too–it’s just you were very vocal that JS screwed up letting him go. They know what they are doing. Bowie was a bigger loss…

28. oldtallguy says:

My dad cut trees for Weyerhauser for 35 years in the area of my st Helens. I was a choker setter for 6 months after his in 65. I said hell no more.

29. Newborough says:

NFL.com reporting that Bradford has re-injured his ACL and is probably done for the year

30. montanamike2 says:

Bradford was hardly touched, they rushed him back too soon. Good thing he made buku money already.

Actually Bowie was addition by subtraction.
    don’t need the Moffitt & Bowie types who can’t take their jobs seriously.
    The FO did know what they were doing by getting rid of those two.

If Harper was having a bad camp in Green Bay I may be inclined to agree with you.

Harper got cut because Green Bay is blessed with WR talent & depth.
    Different story than when he got cut by the Seahawks last year.

The Seahawks last year fell in love with that tall skinny WR that made a few deep ball plays in pre-season. Problem was he couldn’t stay healthy for long.

Harper is much like Lockette. He will eventually find his place & settle in.

I would be very surprised if he doesn’t get picked up based on him having a good camp this year in Green Bay.

It looks like Lockette has now matured enough to be that bigger physical type WR (at least to some degree) that I had/have hoped that Bates/Harper would/will be.

Norwood could be that too.

32. PLUHawkFan says:

Hmmm….

I wonder if Rams are going to be looking to trade or pick up a QB thats cut. Do you think they will really just go with Shaun Hill for the Season?

Could we possibly see JS sending Pryor or one of our other backups that way? I tend to think he wouldn’t trade in the division but who knows. Also the fact that most teams might believe we are just going to release 2 of our QB’s could factor in.

JS is pretty shrewd GM though, I wouldn’t count it out of the realm of possibility of making a trade. Interesting side bar to watch though regardless.

I feel bad for Bradford, guy has had some very bad luck. Get well soon Sam.

#GoHawks!

I fear the Rams more now. Bradford was very overrated imo.

34. Rams probably should’ve used one of all those high round picks on a QB – tough break for them – I also don’t think Bradford is that good, but it still sets their franchise back. Shaun Hill isn’t taking them to the playoffs.

Keep knocking on wood, all of our rival teams in the NFC West have taken serious injury blows, and it’s somehow missed us so far.

Also, got to kind of figure this is the end of the line for Bradford as the Rams’ starting QB.

35. montanamike2 says:

I’m watching the Whiners/Chargers game. Kap coughed it up twice in the first 5 minutes, they look terrible against a team we demolished 2 weeks ago. If we stay healthy, HFA Seahawks.

36. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Alan Branch was released today. He played well for us 2 years ago and I wouln’d mind taking a flier on him.

37. ljarllrajl says:

Bradford out for the year is bad for the Hawks. It will make the Rams Organization realize that they weren’t going anywhere with him. Last thing we want is a competitive Rams team. :(

38. ljarllrajl says:

I’m watching SD vs SF…I’m getting the feeling that the NFC West isn’t as strong as it was last year. I might adjust my conservative prediction that the Hawks will win 11 games to the Hawks will win at least 13 games.

39. Lockette is taller and weighs over 20 pounds less than Harper. Lockette is 4.34 fast and Harper is a pedestrian 4.55 type of receiver. I don’t see any similarities between them except for the position they play.

I think Pryor will make the team based on him being a freakish athlete they can use for a potential few snaps here or there where they may want to do something they wouldn’t want to do with Wilson. I drool at the thought of Pryor getting into a game every 2-3 weeks for a play or two that defenses will have to prepare for that we’d never want Wilson to try. This is a QB running for a 93 yard TD:

40. Hubrismh says:

SF backup QB looks way better than Krappernek.

41. Hubrismh says:

Haha, it’s blain gabbert

42. It’s too bad Bowie had to be a blockhead. That guy showed more at guard in a couple of starts as a rookie than either of our current guards were able to demonstrate for two years in the case of Sweezy and three years as the case for Carp.

Moffitt was clearly the better guard on tape over Sweezy, but obviously the coaches know the inside information and they proved it by sticking with Sweezy, which obviously was the right thing to do while many fans were clamoring for the better player on tape.

Sometimes addition is by subtraction.

Sweezy sucked year one. He still sucked the first half of last season, although he didn’t suck as bad as he had. To me, it seemed like a light went on for him during the Giants game towards the end of the year. I think that was the game where I really noticed him start to be much more of an asset than he had been (ironically, then he missed the next week after having his gord rung). Obviously he wasn’t in the greatest position to succeed and demonstrate his improvement with the revolving door at RT and C (as, I believe it was Georgia who mentioned the other day, too). I thought Bowie was a relatively brutal RT and didn’t think a whole lot of him there or even his potential as a good tackle.

I’m pretty jacked to see the “Sweezebag” this year. Somewhere Jim Mora would be happy (actually, he’d be mad because the Seahawks are successful but he’d wish he had a RG like the Sweeze).

I kind of like that name: “The Sweezbag.”

43. There is no question about the QB situation – Jackson is number 2 and Pryor is the developmental number 3.

The Seahawks are fortunate that they have the best QB situation in the NFL. They aren’t going to ruin this.

44. Hubrismh says:

It’s good to see $21 million sitting on the bench drenched in suck

45. oldtallguy says:

GeorgiaHawk, I think Lockette gets cut, only player 2 snaps other than special teams. Was the lowest of any healthy wr.

46. Hubrismh says:

The only thing Pryor has is good speed. He cannot handle pressure, his brain isn’t quick enough. He needs to start against the Raiders and show well to prove me wrong. I don’t see it…

47. Hubrismh says:

Locket the is in, his special teams play is clutch and he is catching the ball much better. His speed is exactly whatPete loves

48. Hubrismh says:

Harvin
    Baldwin
    kearse
    PRich
    Norwood
    Lockett

49. Singularitarian says:

I agree with that wr list hubrismh

50. MikeFromNewJersey says:

That sounds right. Norwood will be the inactive guy barring injury unless he goes on IR.. I thought Walters had a chance but i guess pete is serious about Earl returning punts… Again i would like to see P Rich as our PR.

51. Southendzone says:

Me too,Lock has earned a spot on this roster with his improvement last year plus consistency this year.

52. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

I will not be surprised if Pryor does not make the team. Can’t put my finger on it but he just looks awkward out there.

53. What has Norwood done to placed on the team – nothing really – had some good practices and???? to me he is a candidate for IR and let him learn and get healthy

The hawks weren’t trying to get rid of Bowie when the waived injured him – they were trying to get him on the IR – Same they did with Williams – the gamble failed and Cleveland picked him up.

I don’t see why you keep Pryor – unless you are ready to make him your #2 right now – he is UFA at the end of season and can do whatever he wants at the end of the year.

54. Back up Guard just went down for SF :( not good for them – like the 3rd OL guy to go down for them this PS

55. boucherm says:

I really like Phil Bates (despite the drop Friday), keep reading/hearing on radio he has had a great camp. Lets not forget he was converted to WR, so takes a bit longer to blossom. And you can’t coach size.
    Too bad Norwood had that first TC practice, otherwise could keep him on PUP. I think Bates has a shot, with Lockette, Norwood, for those last 2 WR spots.

56. OK watching this SD-SF game – SF 3rd stringers are man handling the SD back ups – something our back ups didn’t and maybe couldn’t do. Some of it is due to already being up 30+ points but our depth IMO – across the board is NOT as good as it has been.

Hopefully we can up grade that over time – this is the new challenge for the twins – now that you have built a great team can you keep it together as other teams grab your players!!!

I think they can but it will be interesting to watch

Not sure how it will play out for the last spot or two, but Lockette didn’t hurt himself any in the last game.

Who knows we may be seeing Harper here again down the road like we did with Lockette.

58. boucherm says:

Also, Lockette has a ton of ST value, need to try to keep those core ST guys, especially since Farwell (the ST captain) is a likely cut, with Coyle showing so well.

59. rramstad says:

Shaun Hill isn’t the answer for the Rams, but I wonder where they will find a starting quality QB at this point in the season?

I agree with some earlier posters that this might be the type of situation where JS would be willing to listen to a deal with a team in the division… only if it is something where we end up clearly ahead on a player we weren’t likely to keep anyway (ex: Pryor to Rams for a 4th round pick)… I don’t think Pryor would be able to beat the Seahawks but conversely it would make the Rams more competitive overall and you’d be taking away a 4th round pick from them.

60. Still not convinced Lockette makes the team. I also think that as long as Pryor doesn’t disintegrate cs the Raiders, Seattle keeps 3 qb’s. They make keep 1 less O-lineman to compensate. That would explain the emphasis on versatility, and the Veteran fliers; no sense in keeping a bunch of linemen who can’t get the job done.

As for Moffitt & Bowie being clearly better than Sweezy or showing more in two games than Sweezy had shown in two years is pure hyperbole imo.
    Hence the name hyperbowie.

Sure Sweezy at first had a rough start (see Robinson with the Rams) but for those following him closer not only did we see gradual improvement over his first two years but also saw what Cable saw in him when he did make good plays.
    And that was an upside or ceiling that few Guards in the NFL could match.

Certainly not Moffitt or Bowie, even in their best condition.

But it would have been nice to have them both here as backups if they would have been in game condition & taken their jobs serious.

62. skystyler says:

Lockette makes the team. He’s far and away the best WR on special teams and he hasn’t put a foot wrong on the field.
    We can only keep one of Norwood and Bates – some other team will swoop on the other one, unless we can stash Norwood on IR (there must be rules around that). I hope we keep Bates.

63. Palmer just threw an INT, returned for a TD. He and Larry were not on the same page.

Hard to believe the Cards beat us at home with Palmer throwing 4 INTs.

Looking back on last season, as I have done for the last 6 months, there were so many “squeakers”. Games we could have won but lost, or did win but just barely. The Seahawks are going to be better this season. More blow outs and less squeakers, I hope.

64. oldtallguy says:

There’s going to be a lot of belly aching after the cuts are made. How in the hell could they cut so and so, Cable is an idiot, what in the hell is Pete doing. Except for those lucky enough to attend the open practices all the information we have on players is from 3 practice games where players played a half or less in each. Oh yes and from intelligent (i can’t name any)sportswriters and TV reporters. We are not privy to what goes on in meetings, tardiness or showing up just on time, not putting in the time in the weight room or learning the playbook.how does a player fit in the team chemistry, does he not hit it off with a position coach. How does he get along with other players, these things we have no way of knowing. Some players just have to go, i.e. Tate. So I’ll be sad to see a player or two get cut, but its not up to me or you. I’ll let JS and Pete do the roster.

65. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Jeffcoat and Terrell Thomas have been waived.

66. oldtallguy

Well said.

I trust Pete and John. Arm chair QB’ing is fun, but it’s just a hobby.

We don’t have as much data as the Seahawks have on these players, and we don’t know what Pete and John know about their plans for the present and future, and how they have to work the salary cap.

67. jawpeace says:

In my unprofessional view I thought the experiment of Jeffcoat at LB was dumb. The guy was a good DE in college. Give him a chance to compete there instead of learning and playing a position he never played before at a professional level. Maybe the coaches saw no room on the roster at DE for Jeffcoat with Moyawa, Schofied, Avril, Bennett, Scruggs, and Marsh. After this season Avril and Schofield are both FA and we are very likely to lose both. So having Jeffcoat play DE and then have him on the practice squad and then next year he could legitimately compete for one of the two open roster spots.

68. jawpeace says:

Last year the Hawks made these moves to get to 75. Cut-
    WR Perez Ashford
    LB Kyle Knox
    TE Jameson Konz
    TE Andrei Lintz
    TE/LS Kyle Nelson
    DT Martin Parker
    LB Craig Wilkins

Terminated Veteran Contract
    WR Brett Swain

Placed on Injured Reserve
    DT Jesse Williams
    And they also put Harvin, Scruggs and Tharold Simon on reserve/physically unable to perform and Toomer went on reserve/non-football injury.

This year our first cuts will probably be harder than last year.

69. MikeFromNewJersey says:

@jawpeace.. That is one sorry list of dudes!

70. montanamike2 says:

Jeffcoat disappointed here but will probably get a 2nd look elsewhere, not sure if Mayowa makes it either.

Jawpeace,

I agree with your take on Jeffcoat playing linebacker.

72. Sweezy in two years never played a game as good as Bowie did versus Arizona at right guard. This is obviously my opinion but I have watched every game, too. We did suck against AZ but Bowie did his part vs. Dockett and Campbell, two extremely good players. Dockett consistently ate Sweezy for lunch in his three games against him and that’s a fact. They say film doesn’t lie so don’t take my word for it.

To say that the upside of Sweezy at RG is so much more it was for Bowie is something in which I disagree. Now, if Sweezy is a hard working dude and Bowie is a blowhard behind the scenes… then I do extactly what Mr. Happy and the Duke Boy did when they got rid of him. However, if you plug in the brain and work ethic of someone with attitude and fire (like Sweezy) then I think you’ve got a great guard (Bowie). If we could clone the brain of Sweezy into the body of Bowie, then I think the body of Bowie would be the better player based on his physical gifts.

Georgia – I don’t think this should be a total conflict or disagreement between us because you and I have been pretty consistently similar in what we have thought of Sweezy (potential, improving, going to be decent or perhaps good player eventually) for over two years. Thankfully, he’s got the looks to become that good player we thought he could be and want him to become.

When I coached baseball competitively for 5 years – I didn’t always play the best players. I wanted players who cared and ones who would do the little things for the team (takes pitches, back up bases, etc.). One year I even kept a well below average kid in our line-up most of the time because of his committment to the team and willingness to do anything/everything asked of him. He played over a kid who was a year older, bigger, stronger, faster, who could throw harder and hit further, but I didn’t care. I wanted the player I could count on, not some selfish clown who wasn’t “all in.” As a team, we ended up better off for it, too.

73. Hubrismh says:

I have to admit mr. George, your devotion the mr Sweezy is consistent., perhaps a bit over zealous and misguided, yet consistent just the same…

People make odd decisions in life don’t they?

Norwood, for he who asked, was a standout in early camp, with solid routes, and sure hands. He will make the team… 98% sure of that. :)

74. montanamike2 says:

Early camp reports said they were surprised at Norwood for how good he ran his routes and caught everything thrown his way, even with players draped all over him.

75. I know it’s preseason, but damn, the Vaginers look awful. Carlos Hyde looks to be the real deal, but that’s about it. Kapernick hasn’t even scored a TD yet. Az isn’t that far behind them in not looking to good as well and with the Bradford injury, looks like clinching the division will be a cake walk. Go Hawks.

I agree that Bowie had a small sample size of good guard play & I was looking forward to seeing how he would do at RT this season.
    I figured if he didn’t work out there he would be good insurance for Carp.
    Sweezy is a fantastic athlete for his size.
    But what separates him from other athletic guards is his dirt bag nasty toughness.

But I agree there is no way to know for sure which direction a player might go, or when they really turn the corner or when the light comes on unless it’s obvious like Baldwin, Thomas or Wilson.

Carp & Irvin now could go any direction.

Lol.

77. ljarllrajl says:

Bowie has never shown the kind of talent that Sweezy has. Sweezy is a finisher, not a finesse blocker. Bowie was just a guy, as alluded to by the Seahawks spending a 2nd round pick on a Right Tackle.

78. montanamike2 says:

If i had a chance to be a starting o-lineman on the world champs, i’d sure as hell show up in the best shape of my life. Good luck playing for the Browns, at least you get a short season every year.

79. PLUHawkFan says:

TruBlue

*Smacksuupsidethehead Football is never a cakewalk. And if you jinx us with your statement I’m going to hunt you down come January!!!!!!!

LOL, I see what’s happening to some other teams and makes me wonder if Season will be slightly easier then expected. But it is PreSeason, so first off you never know. Preseason DOES NOT = regular season.

Secondly The injury bug has been resisted by us up to this point for the most part *knock on wood but we could still catch that nasty virus. So HUUUUUSH!!! let’s not tempt fate.

I like our teams montra. ONE GAME AT A TIME and every game is a championship opportunity. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Any given sunday……..

Now that i’ve attempted to appease the football God’s you possibly offended *Grin….
    I hear ya. Things are looking good so far.

#GoHawks!

80. montanamike2 says:

PLUHawkFan good idea, we don’t need a jinx now.

81. thelostboys says:

I’m surprised I’ve seen no comments on BJ regarding Santa Clara. Clearly there’s an urgent need, and he has significant time with them.

82. thelostboys says:

NFL.com states Rams have interest in Sanchez. There’s something. Palmer and Sanchez both going up against Pete.

83. PLUHawkFan says:

Offtopic:

Has anyone heard when last years addition of America’s Game is going to be aired or finished? It’s one of my favorite things to watch every year and I haven’t heard when 2013 one will be completed.

#GoHawks!

84. ljarllrajl says:

I hope the Rams don’t get Sanchez. At least then they’d know they don’t have a franchise QB and will move forward. I’d rather they keep waste away seasons with Sadford.

85. boucherm says:

PLU–Also super excited for America’s game. Mocarob said earlier that his DVR shows it’s on 9/3

86. MoSeahawk12 says:

Another Huge loss for the Packers. Starting center out for several weeks with knee.

87. I for one feel for the Rams and Sam. That just sucks to loose your QB 2 years running, and for him it’s a devastating. I’d rather have them at full strength and overcome them then. That’s what makes champions.

88. I still cant believe we cant play the Niners till halfway through the season, then play them twice in three weeks. Thats the stupidest, most insanely contrived crap schedule I have ever seen.

Niners are broken and flailing, but we arent scheduled to play them till Bowman comes back and they get their poop in a group…Thanks NFL…Im sure that was just one big coincidence…

Not only that, our few cake games are at home. What a waste! We could trash those teams on the road, why we gotta play losers at home?!

The way it used to be done, you’d play your Division rivals once early, and once late so no one could whine about injuries, etc tilting the field. Now it seems the NFL WANTS the field to be tilted…Goodell is behind this crap, mark my words…

Still cant find the Hawks Bears game on Youtube. Goodell is determined to justify his greed for two more regular season games by insisting no one cares about the preseason. He’s ensuring that no one can see it, or hear on the radio in MT at least…

89. Mo–Im just crossing my fingers we dont have any major injuries this year. I still freaking hate ET returning punts…

GB is in for a beating lol! Win or lose, they are going to lose the following week!

90. MoSeahawk12 says:

Same here, although we do have a lot of depth and proved last year that we could be without some key starters and still win games.

I watched the 9er game today and even though it’s preseason, they just don’t look right. It’s like they are playing under a first year program and seem to be sleep walking. Maybe they are playing podium and will be able to flip the switch week one, but the first team O has yet to get in the end zone in three games. I’d be pretty concerned if that was us. Their new field is a mess and the playing surface is going to be an issue all season. Their starting field goal kicker slipped making a kick and limped off afterwards.

I’m also pissed that we play them twice in three weeks late in the season. This is a crap move on the NFL. Bowman is a stud, but even when he gets back, he won’t be the player that was kicking our ass in the championship game.

We have a lot of winnable games well before then though and I’m feeling good about GB week one. Rodgers is one of the very best and will put points on the board. I think our D will limit that and hopefully Bevell will have some designed runs for Wilson as the Packers have been killed by Kap runs the past two seasons and we should test them out early to see if they have fixed that.

91. MoSeahawk12 says:

opossum not podium, although they do appear to be standing still.

92. STTBM, Do you also believe that landing on the moon was a hoax?

93. America’s Game is on 9.3.14.. Georgia, You think Harper will be back after getting cut by 3 different teams? Will he dis-place Lockette?
    Norwood sure has a good rep around here for playing in 0 preseason games.

Sorry but these are just some of the thoughts that were conjured up by the comments today.. Predicting cut players is tough. Good luck to the front office.

94. I checked the DVRs guide for upcoming Seahawk programming & here’s the list leading up to Thursday Night Kickoff.

9.1 SB highlights 530pm NFLN
    9.2 SB48 11am NFLN
    9.2 NFL films – LOB 530pm ESPN
    9.3 2013 Yearbook 11am NFLN
    9.3 Americas Game 5pm NFLN

Tip: Set your DVR to record everything containing the keyword ‘Seahawks’.

95. BigShermyWorm says:

“Bowie was a fool. A man who had a solid career, and probably a starting job over the mr scsqueezy, yet he chose Bon-Bons instead of being a star on the world champions…”

Sweezy was in little to no danger of having his job taken by Bowie or anyone else. Bowie was competing at RT per the coaches and where he was playing in the off-season. And then he ate himself out of any job and hurt his shoulder. The revisionist history around here is amazing sometimes.

And Bowie did nothing consistently special here with the Hawks. He would’ve started had he done so. PC just played Carp and McQ because they were such hard workers and so talented? Give me a break. The simplest explanation is that he didn’t play because the coaches thought they had better options. There’s not always some conspiracy behind it. Bowie did nothing but wow a couple of posters on here. He’s probably the most overrated Hawk since Jerheme Urban. Carp, Carimi, and Bowie have something in common. none has proven that they can even be an average O-lineman in the NFL yet. Face it.

96. BigShermyWorm says:

I believe Lockette will make the 53 due to his outstanding ST play and being familiar with the system. If the past is any indication, they can release players like Walters and Bates and still bring them back later if need be. I definitely could see Norwood make it just because they don’t want to chance losing him. Depends on how impressed they were with him earlier in the off-season. No one really knows.

97. BigShermyWorm says:

The Lambs aren’t a real threat in the division, but they will still be a team you don’t want to play. Not an easy win by any means. Especially if the O-line doesn’t play better this year versus them.

98. surelyyoujest says:

I also think Lockette will make the team, purely for special teams. That role is highly valued by Pete, and I don’t see any of the other WR’s filling in that gunner role so admirably. He doesn’t just cover kicks, he intimidates. That’s worth something on a team that prioitizes speed and toughness.

99. thelostboys says:

Bigsherm, nice comments. I agree.

I think the FO has an interesting task of who to release considering division needs. Last year had some back and forth with Santa Clara. This year maybe the same. I wonder if they can swing a trade like they did with Jackson and Buffalo a few years back (except not TJax this time). Buffalo is a perfect fit for our QB abundance, maybe Cleveland too, lol. I do think JS will be working the phones for a trade.

100. montanamike2 says:

Lockette is a perfect example of why i’m against Earl returning punts, i’d hate to see him get blown up.

101. thelostboys says:

If Earl gets injured at any time during a game, then they’ll put in somebody else to play his position. I’m not trying to diminish how important a player can be (i.e. Hutch was referenced earlier), but a key to playing championship ball year to year is acting out the tenets of your beliefs. They either have a strategy that can handle the seasons vagaries or they don’t. I think they’re just fine. I’m reminded how few times we won without Harvin. Let the best players play and keep the best players.

102. thelostboys says:

I’ll agree that providing appropriate rest is important…that effects the Earl decision.

Montana & STTBMs guy Coyle getting some good rookie reviews here along with Britt.

104. Southendzone says:

Did we ever get injury details from Friday’s game?

Coyle, Helfet, Harwell are all the ones I want to hear about.

I do remember one vague comment about Helfet that he injured multiple things on that play, hand, shoulder, maybe 1 other thing.

“If Earl gets injured at any time during a game, then they’ll put in somebody else to play his position.”

Yes, of course, but a significantly reduced level. My fingers will be crossed every time he brings a punt back, but my lord, he’s going to be dynamic back there.

I forgot to mention that Sweezbag is a great name BobbyK.

Fits like a glove.

Now if Carp can get his inner Sweezbag level up what would we call him?

STTBM – The league didn’t set the schedule based on the ‘Niners injury situation. But more importantly, do you think they’re excited about having to play Seattle in such a short period? The answer is “No”. “They’re going to have to deal with is.” After having spent a weekend in the Bay Area let me assure you, they would much rather get one of their losses to Seattle out of the way sooner than later.

I’ve been a bit out of the loop this weekend, but I sure as hell hope Bobby et al have given Carp his due for his play on Friday. (Although it’s unlikely.)

Southendzone

Harwell didn’t fare well in the family jewel well.

But I think he is fine other than that.

110. oldtallguy says:

What an exciting week to be a world champion Seahawks fan. By this time next week our 2014 team roster will be known. Preseason will be over and the quest to defend our championship begins. To the players leaving a hearty thanks for helping make us stronger and providing strong competition. Go Hawks

111. Southendzone says:

PFF shared top 5 grades by position so far this preseason. RW and Sweezy both made the list (also Clinton McD down in TB):

112. Southendzone says:

Barnwell writes on Bradford’s injury.

He points out something I was thinking, that Shawn Hill might not be much worse than Bradford. There was really nothing special about Bradford.

113. chuck_easton says:

Word of the cuts should start trickling in today.

The team has a practice and you usually don’t want the guys you are going to cut to participate in said practice.

In one sense it’s not fair to the player if the team knows he’s going to be cut, and the team would risk a player they intend to cut getting injured.

114. SandpointHawk says:

Yeah Chuck I was thinking along those lines myself. “The Turk” is in the house..

115. Gregg, in case you missed my question from the other day, here it is again.

What can we do with Kevin Norwood at this point?

I’d like to see him make the team but we really haven’t seen what he can do yet. What are Seattle’s options here?

116. Georgia–Ive been calling Sweezy Sweezebag since he first got here. Just sayin’…Glad you like it, it is a good nickname.

South–Really awesome to hear Sweezy is making the grade–finally! McDonald is who we thought he was, and TB will be stoked to get him on the (relatively) cheap.

Dukeshire–No, the NFL didnt necessarily take Bowman or anyone elses injury into account when planning the schedule–mostly, they just want all divisiion games late in the season to ensure no dud games with starters out. They also want to give the Niners a chance to get their steam engine chugging, since they usually have trouble early in the season (not counting when they play GB Ghost Zone D). But the NFL failed to even try to put together a schedule that was competitively fair and even-handed.

BigPerm–Bowie was never going to be a decent RT. Period. The fact remains he came in and played better in his lone starts at LG and RG than Carp and Sweezy had in two years at the position. Carrol admitted he benched Bowie in the Niners Title Game because he wanted the guy with the mental understanding on the field, the experience, even though he might no be the best player. He said it wasnt performance-based. So, in a way, those like you who insist there was some sort of magical mistake made by Bowie and it was only luck he managed to block better than Carp/Sweezy are Conspiracy Theorists. They are heavily invested in Carp and Sweezy, not so much in Bowie. They gave–and will still give–those two chance after chance to make good. And this year, it might work out–finally.

Seriously, the Jags at home?! What a waste!

117. chuck_easton says:

Tom, I’ll answer for you.

Norwood participated in camp. He was on the active 90 man roster. So, he is NOT eligible for PUP.

That leaves one of four options:

1. Team carries him on the active 53
    2. Team IR’s him for the 2014 season.
    3. Team could use their one allowed IR/Designated to return (misses a minimum of 8 games).
    4. Team cuts him and hopes he makes it through waivers and can be on the PS.

118. thelostboys says:

Duke, I agree with you with exception to the word significantly. I’m not sure how to judge the difference (I.e. Sherman/Thurmond or Browner/Maxwell or, better, Chancellor/Johnson). My point wasn’t the difference in play. It was adherence to philosophy. Sounds like you’re understandably riding the fence. Pete doesn’t because he’s a true believer in his philosophy. Not trying to be snippy, but I think you’ll feel better if you get all wet. You don’t want to see anybody injured, but it feels nice not wearing shackles.

119. thelostboys says:

” the NFL failed to even try to put together a schedule that was competitively fair and even-handed.”

Really…? First, they tried hard and for the most part succeeded. Second, their goals are more about money and less about even. Third, Santa Clara has to play us, whenever, wherever, I don’t care. I think the NFL would laugh at whining from last years champs. I’d like to play Santa Clara every week for 16 straight, okay might get a little monotonous.

120. chuck_easton says:

So, if Irvin doesn’t make it out to practice this week should/would the team consider starting him on PUP?

Yes, he’d miss the first 6 games, but it would free up a spot on the 53 to keep a player like Coyle.

If/when Irvin is ready to return there might be an injured player he could replace or there might be one of the bottom 53 guys that could much easier slip through waivers and end up on the PS.

121. montanamike2 says:

GeorgiaHawk, how about Carpetbag? Too insensitive to southerners? Britt played a lot better than expected, he might share time until he gets the whole picture but has yet to have a false start penalty, kudos to JS for finding another gem for the line. All the guys i’ve wanted for o-line these past few years have either been busts or mediocre at best. Coyle shows that UDFA’s have a shot here, like Baldwin etc…

122. montanamike2 says:

Exept Okung, i knew he would be a stud, but didn’t think we’d have a chance to get him. Shows how little i know. After what i’ve seen this weekend, we look pretty dominate.

123. chuck_easton says:

I’m thinking given Norwood hasn’t appeared in a single PS game there is very little for other teams to go on.

He might just be a final cut guy with the hope that no other team would take a flyer to place a 4th rounder, who didn’t play at all in the pre-season, on their active 53.

Any player cut in final cut downs who is claimed off waivers would have to go on the other team’s 53. I think the team would be hopeful that they’ve stashed Norwood enough that no team would take that chance.

124. oldtallguy says:

Everyday, every week, every month, over and over. YES we all know, Sweezy was a worthless piece of ….Bowie was Jesus reborn, can we ever move on? The schedule is predetermined years in advance, only the dates haven’t. We play the whiners twice, do we really care when?

125. montanamike2 says:

Aldon Smith has yet to be penalized, what gives?

126. chuck_easton says:

I’m with oldtallguy on the schedule.

And, the schedule is put together by a committee which does NOT include the commissioner.

As Peter King stated in an article back in March the 1st runner up schedule was even harder on Seattle as it had them going East three weeks in a row.

So, it could have been worse.

127. montanamike2 says:

I’m hoping Percy has an MVP year.

128. chuck_easton says:

montanamike2,

Aldon Smith’s punishment has yet to be announced. For all we know he has appealed the length of the suspension, thus nothing can be announced until the appeal has been heard.

129. montanamike2 says:

Thanks Chuck, your knowledge is excellent on this blog.

Lostboys – I’m not riding any fence. I don’t want Thomas returning kicks. Period. I’ve stated that multiple times. But the reality appears to be he’s going to so time to pucker up and accept it.

And it’s fairly easy to judge the difference: quality of play on the field.

STTBM – you’re operating under the false impression that the league somehow knows injury situations and how teams will be playing as the season begins. The schedules are months, if not more, in advance. There’s no conspiracy here against Seattle, man. If recent history is any indication, Seattle will be playing they’re best football later rather than early.

131. chuck_easton says:

Montana,

As I’ve said, my football knowledge starts and ends with a sick desire to know the rule book and the CBA inside and out. I am just a lawyer at heart. My dream job would be to be in house counsel for some NFL related position. Combine my love of the legal system and my love of the sport.

For X’s and O’s there are several on here that are much more knowledgeable. Duke, STTBM, BobbyK, and a few others.

132. montanamike2 says:

That is what makes this blog so great, lots of knowledgeable people, don’t cut yourself short Chuck, you contribute a lot. I just have opinions and the occasional story that’s totally not football related.

133. montanamike2 says:

Time for a new thread.

134. surelyyoujest says:

If we were to drop Norwood, Carolina would grab him and he’d be one of their top 4 receivers right out of the gate. I don’t see him getting through unclaimed, despite not have played in a PS game.

135. surelyyoujest says:

Although, if he’s injured and not ready to start within the first few games, any team would be hard pressed to let him occupy a spot on the 53. So, the injury does change the discussion somewhat.

136. surelyyoujest says:

Brit has been beaten in pass pro multiple times in each of the games, and allowed pressures at other times, but he flashes in the run game. Decisive, and buries people. Love that about him. Hopefully he polishes up to be a real gem.

Did anyone check out Coleman in the Bears game ? He was buckling knees in the hole on more than one occassion. He seems greatly improved this year.

137. Ray_Maines says:

I see that Alan Branch was cut by the Bills.

138. MikeFromNewJersey says:

For Shots and Giggles here is my updated 53 roster prediction.

QB(2) – Russell and TJack
    RB(4) – Beats,Turbin,Michael,Coleman
    WR(6) – Harvin,Badwn,Kearse,Richardson,Lockette,Norwood(Walters if Nowood goes on IR)
    TE (3) – Miller, Willson, Helfet
    OL (9) – Okung,Carp,Unger,Sweey,Britt,Bailey,Winston,Lem,Schilling

DL(10)-MeBane,McDaniel,Avril,Bennett,K.Williams,Scruggs,J.Hill,Schofield, Marsh,Mayowa
    LB(7)- Wagner, KJ, Malcolm,Morgan,Irvin,Coyle,Pierre-Louis
    DB (9)- Sherm,Max,Kam,Earl,Lane,Simon,JJ,Shead, Adams

Specials(3) – Ryan, Haush, Gresham

139. Hubrismh says:

I believe I remember people saying that Norwood was pure thievery being grabbed in the fourth, perhaps he could have been considered 3rd round material.
    Every time the guy was on the field, the reporters gushed, he was a serious red zone option.

All this with a bum foot. Being that a bone spur doesn’t grow out in a weekend, I think it’s safe to say he was dealing with some serious pain all the while he was showing his skills.

He showed all what he could do, and then finally relented to the pain and asked for help. After finding that it wasn’t a structural or long term problem, the team decided to get him fixed immediately, in order to be ready early in the season, for they already had seen enough to know he was a solid keeper.

He will be a solid player and contributor.

Take it from me, mr 98%….

140. Hubrismh says:

Jersey Mike,

What about Bruce Irvin?

141. Gregg Bell says:

TOMIPDX: Norwood is a prime candidate for IR, though they want to see him on the field if at all possible before the final 53 have to be set. Since he hasn’t played at all they may be able to get him through waivers and onto the practice squad, but then any other team could add him to its 53 at any time this season.

142. PLUHawkFan says:

Chuck:

I would normally agree with you, except for one problem. It’s been reported (by Gregg?) that our practices and preseason games have been flooded with scouts. Chances are that teams do have an idea what Norwood can do, once his injury is healed.

I don’t think there is even a 25% chance he passes through waivers. I think it comes down to the team either IR’ing him for the year (Essentially Redshirting him) Or using our 1 spot on IR with ability to return. I think that decision comes down to the other WR’s and who they decide is worth keeping. i.e.: (bubble WR’s like Bates, Lockette, etc.)

Norwood has a skill set that Pete values greatly. And my hunch is they saw enough in OTA’s and before he had surgery to keep him. Something of Note: He was willing to play through the pain of the bone spurs, he’s been doing it for couple of years IIRC the reports. The Team encouraged him to do the surgery and get it taken care of. I’m not sure they would have pushed him to do that, if they weren’t pretty intent on keeping him. (I could be wrong) But thats my gut feeling.

We shall see, but I don’t believe they will risk putting him on waivers.

#GoHawks!

143. Norwood picked up the playbook and made plays even against our starting secondary, even when covered well. He’s on this team. There is no way in hell they let him get away, and there’s no way in hell he would clear waivers. He’s not some UDFA, he’s a guy who is going to make plays as a rookie.

I dont see them putting him on IR unless his foot causes more problems in the next couple weeks. Lockette and Walters are guys they can feel pretty safe cutting, then bring back if Norwoods injury doesnt heal right.

Bates is a guy I think they intend to PS now that the rules have changed. No one is going to pick him up on waivers.

On the schedule; Goodell still has influence over what the committee does, just as he has influence over how refs call games, whether he’s in the stands or not. And playing the Niners twice in three weeks is stupid. Period.

MikefromJersey–I like your 53 man list. I do think they keep Pryor, and I think they cut Pierre-Louis or IR him. He’s shown nothing. Im also not sure Adams makes the team, because Jeron Johnson is going to be on this team and so is Shead and Simon. Doesnt leave a spot for a backup nickel back.

144. Chuck and Gregg, thanks for the Norwood info. Good discussions here about our options with him from everyone. I hope we keep him safe from being picked up by any other team because as I’ve said in the past, he has the Seahawk IT factor.

For that last remaining WR spot I prefer Walters over Lockette regardless of his ST abilities. The hit he put on the PR last week was pretty close to being helmet to helmet (I thought it was and was surprised it didn’t get called). I’d like to see Walters get more opportunities as our PR – which would make him a ST star as well.

145. surelyyoujest says:

Wonder what they’d do this year if Coleman gets hurt ? Presumably they’d hope to get Small to the practice squad, although he hasn’t shown much…..yet. Maybe Ware ? But he hasn’t shown much as a FB either. Pretty thin after Colemen me thinks.

I’m not a fan of keeping Pryor. He reminds me of a poor man’s Colin Kapernick, and that’s the kindest thing I can say about him. He’s a heck of an athelete, but hasn’t shown me the ability to command the huddle, and disect what a defense is doing. There have been many QB’s who can run, that haven’t made great QB’s. Ultimately you have to be able to adjust to what the defense is doing and make smart plays with the football. I don’t see that with him. I’d rather have an extra O-lineman….given our injury history there.

146. Tom–I agree, Walters has earned a spot. Whether he gets one or not remains to be seen. I want him on the team because he runs better routes than Lockette, and shows the ability to take big hits. I would vote for him to make the team just to put ET out of a job returning punts lol!

147. Surely–The way some of our backup O-lineman have looked–and continue to look–whats the point in keeping them? We could do just as well signing leftover garbage off the street as needed…lol!

Seriously, Lem and Winston are the only backups I feel have shown the ability to play at an NFL level. The rest are sows ears that Cable seems to think he can coach up and turn into silk purses…

148. BigShermyWorm says:

“The fact remains he came in and played better in his lone starts at LG and RG than Carp and Sweezy had in two years at the position.”

That’s no more a fact than calling myself the best looking guy next to Brad Pitt, Matthew McConaughey, etc.. I suggest you look up the word fact. It’s simply the amateur opinion of a few here. Which is fine. But don’t package it as some sort of unassailable truth that we would all see if we only could. That’s why I call these type of posts out.

The coaches have decided that there were better players than Bowie and Moffitt. Deal with it. All you can point to is ONE game where you thought he played well. The coaches look at the TOTALITY, hence why I said that he had not consistently proven anything. It doesn’t make you a good player when your coach can’t trust playing you in the NFC Championship. And Carroll didn’t mention Bowie specifically. You are assuming he meant him. He could’ve just been talking about why McQ was getting some time.

There are a few here that confuse their amateur evaluation of the game tape as some sort of fact that is agreed upon by followers of the NFL. I can still clearly remember people whining about why Moffitt wasn’t starting over Sweezy when he was VASTLY superior during a game chat and both Dave and EDUB emphatically disagreed. Seems that knowledgeable people that get to see the O-line play a lot more than any of us have not agreed with the delusional projections of some here. Moffitt is peeing on a wall somewhere and Bowie is never going to amount to crap if he doesn’t work at it. He didn’t show nearly enough to move heaven and Earth to keep him. I think some here that are so obsessed with having some good OGs or linemen in general get all caught up in projecting their hopes and dreams into certain players before they’ve earned it.

149. BigShermyWorm says:

“So, in a way, those like you who insist there was some sort of magical mistake made by Bowie and it was only luck he managed to block better than Carp/Sweezy are Conspiracy Theorists. They are heavily invested in Carp and Sweezy, not so much in Bowie.”

STTBM, you don’t need to resort to straw man arguments to support your position. It doesn’t help you.

I have never said anything even close to this BS. I don’t agree that Bowie played consistently better than Carp or Sweezy. Saying it was luck would just be plain stupid. You could make more of a case with Carp in 2013. And the people getting paid millions to make those decisions don’t agree with you either.

The coaches made the decision that they were best moving forward with Carp and Sweeze at the OGs. Carp is in the best shape of his life and is playing very well. So is Sweezebag. Bowie was given the opportunity to compete with a rookie at RT and came into camp fat and out of shape. So sad, too bad.

I have no more investment in Carp or Sweezebag than I do in Bowie, Moffitt, or Joe freaking Schmo. I just want the players that give the Hawks the best chance to win to play. Period. And I trust these coaches in general to pick them.

150. BigPerm–I meant THEY as in PC an JS and Cable. THEY have more invested in Carp and Sweezy than in Bowie. I should have been clearer.

And before you say thats silly, plenty of former players and coaches can attest to the fact that coaches and assistant coaches often favor guys they lobbied for over players that outplayed them, to cover their own butts. Im quite sure Cable has done this on several occasions.

And you are basically saying Bowie in his first game at RG and his first game at LG, having played better than Sweezy or Carp ever did–and vs better competition to boot–means little or nothing. I disagree.

To play well with little or no practice time at two positions different then the one you started 7 games at is amazing. Sweeze and Carp had played for at least a year and a half and still hadnt played a single game that well.

Cable had no intention of playing Bowie at LG unless he had to. He wants a different body type, and his system demands that. He isnt going to adapt his system to a player, especially not when his ego is wrapped up in making Sweezy a starter.

At LG is Cables failed first round bust RT, and you know damned well he isnt going to let Carp fail without taking it to the limit. His reputation and in fact his job are closely tied to Carps performance there, he isnt going to let a guy picked by a departed personnel man beat out his handpicked RT. No way in hell.

Thats job security 101, and as normal as Pie and Ice Cream in the NFL.

151. Bowie at RG. Typo. He wants athletic, fast guys at RG. Doesnt matter than Bowie did well, Cable doesnt want him there and so it wasnt happening. Had nothing to do with how Bowie played.

152. Cable convinced PC that Sweezy had a higher ceiling than Bowie, and fit his scheme better. There is no way he convinced anyone but some fans that Bowie didnt outplay Sweezy at RG.

And time will likely show that Sweezy was a good choice as RG, and Bowie was a lardass bum. But thats long term, Ive never argued that wasnt the case. But in the short term–the last two years–it was stupid to keep playing Sweeze while he floundered and failed. And to keep playing the fat and wounded Carp at LG while players ready to perform better languished on the bench.

Did all that floundering help Sweezy get better fast than learning on the bench? Who knows? Cable thinks so. But he;s thought a lot of things that turned out to be bogus, like Carp was a RT, like MOffitt was worth drafting, that Bowie was a RT instead of a G, that Giacomini had more than half a year of good play in him…that Gallery wasnt washed up…the list is pretty long on Cables failed personnel ideas and on his failed coaching.

153. BigShermyWorm says:

They had no more invested in Sweezy than they did in Bowie. Both were 7th round picks. You could easily say that Cable had LESS to lose with Sweezy failing due to the fact that he played DL in college. No one would’ve blamed him for a 7th round defensive conversion failing. And they demoted and cut Moffitt’s lard ass pretty quickly even though he was a 3rd round pick. Why weren’t they committed to playing him regardless of the results? You contradict you own logic in the same post.

You still have failed to provide any tangible proof that Bowie outplayed Sweezy and/or Carp. All you have is the word of you and a few other posters. Yet you spout this as a fact. You have all kinds of hypotheses about the motivations of the coaches and why certain players played. Yet you can’t even come close to proving one scrap of it. I’m obviously not going to change your mind. You’re married to your narrative. I’m willing to even allow that your hypotheses COULD be true. Any chance Bowie and Moffitt simply didn’t play because they weren’t better than the competition? Or is your and BobbyK’s evaluation the end all and be all when it comes to O-lineman?

By the way, Cable has a much longer list of successes. That’s why he was a head coach, did pretty well considering he was coaching the awful Raiders, and is a top assistant on the defending SB Champions. I guess he just lucked his way into that? Like your straw man argument about Bowie? And we still don’t know whether Bowie will be a RT, OG, or just a big fat bust like he looks like currently. And continue to talk all the crap you want to about Breno, but he has been a starter for years and was paid 4.5 mil a year in the off-season to sign. That’s 10th amongst RTs if you’re paying attention. You make far too many assumptions IMO.

154. For the SD game, did anybody notice any ESPN reporters wearing a sweater vest?

155. For the SD game, did anybody notice an ESPN reporter wearing a sweater vest?

156. MoSeahawk12 says:

I’m late to this discussion, but agree with BigShermyWorm on much of this and will add I think Cable did his best work last season considering the number and length of the injuries to three starters on the Oline. Having to replace three starters with inexperienced rookies and over the hill backups and still win sixteen games is an incredible amount of coaching. Yes, we all know the D paved the way, but to constantly bash Cable and the job he did with what he had is missing the core of what football is all about. He coached up lower talent and inexperience and found a way to keep them in every game. The results justify the job he was able to do with that group.