Seahawks 34, Bears 6: Postgame reaction blog

Post by Kenny Via / The News Tribune on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:05 pm with 22 Comments »
August 22, 2014 10:05 pm
Seattle Seahawks' Christine Michael (33) celebrates his touchdown reception as Jermaine Kearse (15) watches, against the Chicago Bears in the first half of a preseason NFL football game, Friday, Aug. 22, 2014, in Seattle. (AP Photo/John Froschauer)
Seattle Seahawks’ Christine Michael (33) celebrates his touchdown reception as Jermaine Kearse (15) watches, against the Chicago Bears in the first half. (AP photo.)

We hear it time and again in the preseason: The third game is always the most important.

If that’s the case, things look pretty good for the Seahawks.

Seattle dominated the Chicago Bears at CenturyLink Field on Friday night, running out to a 31-point halftime lead in a 34-6 victory.

The offense scored at will. The defense held Jay Cutler and Co. in check. And the entire team limited their mistakes, committing just one penalty in the first half.

So, let’s get to some quick reaction:

2. Earl Thomas the punt returner? 59 yards later … are you coming around?

5. Another look forward: Green Bay. Opening night. Ready to make a prediction?

1. 1. They were Harvin a good time out there.

2. I think ET is the most valuable player on the defense, would definitely suck if he got hurt returning a punt.

2. PLUHawkFan says:

After watching the last 2 games, “realizing it’s still preseason” I have this gut feeling that we are going to be a better overall team then we even were last season. Barring major injuries, and despite our rough schedule I honestly think we can go 13-3 maybe even 14-2.

I think thats a pretty bold prediction, especially considering our tough schedule. But i’ve been watching some of the other teams as well, I think 49′rs are going to regress slightly (which helps us) And though I”m worried about both SL and Arizona they have some challenges as well.

This team is full of guys that JUST LOVE THE GAME, and they want to get better! They have the right mentality, one game at a time. And you heard Kam. They whole team is thinking “what’s next” ….

We will be in the super bowl again this year. COUNT ON IT! I’m not being a homer, (I don’t think) and we definitely have some area’s that need some work, but thats the thing I see them improving as the season progresses. Can you imagine that… US getting EVEN better through the Season?

ya…. #GoHawks!!!!!

I’m pumped!

3. 1. OL (because I don’t know of anyone who thinks the others aren’t good).

2. No. Even his teammates make fun of him. I once saw Rafael Belliard hit a HR. It didn’t happen often.

3. Jon Ryan. He got to finally play in garbage time (joke).

4. I expect one of our bubble guys to get traded for a 6th or 7th round pick in ’15.

5. Seahawks 27, Packers 20

4. Bears Safety Chris Conte did some damage. He is the guy who crushed Luke Wilson in the end zone to break up a TD catch, and he put a hit on tight end Cooper Helfet put him out of the game with a shoulder injury.

5. MikeFromNewJersey says:

1 – Wilson and harbin were terrific, the OlIne still stinks at pass blocking.. Thank god Russell is nifty.

2 – I still don’t like having Earl return punts. I will never be convinced that this is a good idea..I’m very worried that he is going to get injured and I really don’t want to have to say I told you so if it happens. Guys are going to be head hunting come the regular season, especially our division rivals.

3 – I think Farwell helped his chances. We all how good he is on specials.. Guys Like Toomer and Bates hurt themselves tonight.

4- Maybe one series for the starers.Position battles on both lines and LB.

5- I never make predictions when it comes to my Seahawks. I don’t want to jinx them. Even when we were up 22-0 at half in the Super Bowl ,I wasn’t ready to think we can’t be beat.

6. MoSeahawk12 says:

Had a good friend, huge season ticket Cardinals fan call out of the blue. Now he has been saying the Cards are coming for us and that they will take the ring, you know, all the normal nonsense. He calls me with about three minutes left in the first half and says, ” I’m not liking this Seahawks offense. I knew you had a great D and that was going to be a challenge, but damn, do you guys even need a punter?” I just said, it’s only preseason. We should get better.

1. Oline played great. Period. Wilson didn’t have much pressure and when he did the outside was wide open for big gains. That means the o-line blocked guys well inside. I’m certain they teach this here as Wilson only needs a small space to gain lots.
    2. Earl is the best in the game at free safety, but come on man. Cut inside on that punter and score. Grief encouraged and expected.
    3. Lockette. His punt coverage hit was big. Even though they threw the flag, it was close and he is making a bigger name as special teamer than receiver. WE need him there. BIG coverage guy. One of our best.

4. Next week, pretty boring game. Pryor playing into the third quarter. We will not score 34 points and it won’t matter. Nice short flight back to Seattle to prime for Packers.

5. Packers will be tough. Rogers one of best in NFL and much improved D. Don’t think we will sack him eight times in first half. Seahawks better overall and should win 34-24. One and 0 to start 2014 season.

7. MoSeahawk12 says:

So odd, we get 100 posts mid week on if Wilson can throw a accurate deep ball and after one of the most dominating preseason games I’ve ever seem we settle in at six. It’s not that late guys. Is it? OK.

8. jawpeace says:

Wow I can see the Hawks having a top five Defense and Offense. With the improvement of the offense they will be on the field longer which will help keep D refreshed. Which got to be scary for other teams.

Please don’t keep 3 QB’s- no need. The only benefit I can see is Prior would be he would be good running the scout teams intimating every scrambling QB we play this year. I would prefer the roster spot be used else where. Prior wants to start he will only be Wilson back up in Seattle. Therefore he will probably go elsewhere after this season as a FA to compete. So why keep a third string guy who is very likely to leave after this year?

Also why did the Hawks put Croyle back in late in the game? To me he earned a roster spot. Stupid to put him back in. And you could tell that he was gimpy.

Last thought how does a white punter catch a speedy ET? Uh beats the heaven out of me. ET showed good moves but still his value on the D far out weighs the pluses of having him return punts.

9. jawpeace says:

Moseahawk it seems most bloggers here are too hammered to post anything.

10. MoSeahawk12 says:

Possibly…Maybe they should pace throughout the week. This was one of those games where you could indulge the first half and straighten up before the forth quarter. It would be nice if we could have a massive lead every week at half. Maybe, improved O to go along with a top three D. I know my beer bill would go down. Fun night for sure. Hope you all enjoyed it. Wins ahead!!

11. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

1. The offense: Wilson. Harvin. Kearse. Lynch. The O-line. What impressed you the most? Kearse

2. Earl Thomas the punt returner? 59 yards later … are you coming around?

3. Garbage time: Which player struggling to make the roster helped his chances the most? Allen

4. Looking ahead: What do you expect to see next week? Starters? Position battles? i really don’t expect starters more than a series next week

5. Another look forward: Green Bay. Opening night. Ready to make a prediction? yes/ two outcomes 1. hawks blow them out 41/17
    2. even bolder prediction they lose 28 /17 and don’t lose another game all season. i personally think #1 is more likely. packers D is not that good

12. MoSeahawk12 – True, but I shouldn’t be posting and am even though it was a long week and I thought I’d be long-gone in bed/sleeping by now…

13. BigShermyWorm says:

Arguments/disagreements will always spur more posts than a blow out win. Especially in preseason. I guess that’s just thee way it is as Bruce Hornsby would say.

1. Was really impressed with the play of Kearse. He’s turned himself into a very good WR. RW was awesome but that is too obvious. Thought the O-line played well overall. Okung was understandably rusty and Britt had a few issues in pass blocking.

2. Still leery of ET returning punts. Maybe as a occasional thing like Ed Reed used to do.

3. Don’t know if he was struggling to make the roster at this point, but Schofield helped himself yet again. Hard to see him not making the 53 right now. Especially with Irvin likely headed for the PUP. Lane was already assured of making the roster, but I was impressed with his play.

4. Expect the starters to play a series or two. Duh. Farwell is playing to prevent his job being taken by Coyle. Lockette is looking to cement a spot. I think he has at this point with his ST prowess and Norwood injured.

5. Not a fan of predictions really, but I see a Hawks’ win. They usually come to play when the spotlight is on, they’re at home, and they’re the better team.

P.S. Greg, Mr. Eric Williams used to do roster analysis posts while he was here. I think it would be awesome to have a post similar to that after the cut downs on Tuesday. Just a thought. You’re doing a great job.

14. BigShermyWorm says:

*the way it is

15. BigShermyWorm says:

BTW, from an earlier thread, why is it okay for people to call something stupid but not retarded? That’s just plain RETARDED! No one is worried about offending the people that are just stupid or high-functioning but don’t quite qualify as mentally retarded? And I have a mentally retarded aunt. That doesn’t mean I cry about anyone using the word in any context. As the late/great George Carlin tried to teach us, words are about the context, stupid.

Retarded:
    adjective
    characterized by a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
    Slang. stupid or foolish.
    noun
    (used with a plural verb) people who are slow or limited in mental development (usually preceded by the):
    new schools for the retarded.

Take a look at number 2.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/08/21/rookie-justin-britt-closes-in-on-starting-rt-job-marshawn-lynch-to-get-some-carries-tomorrow-night-vs-chicago-walters-is-out/#comments#storylink=cpy

16. Southendzone says:

Clearly the term is meant as a negative when it’s used in the context it was used on that other thread.

Since one definition refers to a medical condition or handicap, it’s reasonable to say that people afflicted with it would prefer not to hear it used as an insulting term.

17. BigPerm–not gonna go down that particular rabbit hole with you; we’ve gone that route before and no one is changing anyone’s mind.

It’s probably not cool to label an argument or opinion as “stupid” either, but I know I’m my case sometimes I don’t have time to do anything but emote with little thought, or my vocabulary fails me…getting old I guess..

18. I wasn’t able to watch the game, but from what I read and heard, I’m excited about the O-line (still), and Kearse, who I’m proud to have touted as our future Flanker/backup Slot WR since he signed. Enjoy him this year, he’s gonna leave and get paid to be someone else’s number two WR after the season…

Worried about Coyle and Okung’s injuries.

Also a bit concerned about the run D, but it’s preseason and we really don’t know what we have yet so no panic. Maxwell may lose his job to Simon this year at some point…which is crazy.

Very impressed with C.Michaels. sometimes guys just need to get hit regularly before they stop fumbling; when you’re not used to getting hit, you’re more likely to fumble.

19. WiscCory says:

George Carlin was sometimes funny, however he was a faithless idiot. Sad!

20. Ray_Maines says:

Overall I was pretty happy with the O-Line. Pass pro. is still an issue, Okung is “rusty” at best, and Jared Allen didn’t play, but they looked pretty good. Encouraging.

God bless ET, but I still don’t like the idea of him returning punts.

I’m pulling for Phil Bates but I don’t think he helped himself.

Next week I want to see the 22 starters in street clothes and bubble wrap.

In two weeks Packer nation will be waving white flags in the fourth quarter. I can’t predict the score but it will be a beat down.

21. trout_hound says:

Couldn’t watch the game since it was blacked out (go figure), but since the NFL Network replay isn’t until Monday, I’m downloading a copy of the game that someone posted to Kickass Torrents http://kickass.to/. Speaking of kickass – sounds like the Hawks pretty much did that to da Bears.
    I think they should use Earl as a punt returner only when they need a spark. Otherwise, put Angry Doug back there or someone else sure handed.

22. BigShermyWorm says:

“Don’t know your personal rules, but if you’re hanging out with your aunt, and you see something you’d like to characterize as stupid, do you say “that was retarded”? You’d consider that totally OK and respectful to her and her disability?”

She lives in Virginia so I don’t hang out with her, but I would have no problem saying that in front of her. She’d hardly know the difference. It’s the family members that get bent out of shape about it. I wouldn’t call her a retard, but I think it’s okay to say that something is retarded. It’s context. Certainly free to disagree. Don’t understand why some words that mean basically the same thing are okay but this one is not? It’s BS IMO. You can find someone that gets offended by all sorts of things. It’s best to try and not offend people in general, but I’m not going to stay up at night worrying that I may offend someone out there because they either are unable or choose not to understand my intent. I believe everyone should try to get to the intent behind someones’ speech and give the benefit of the doubt in general.

BTW, retardation isn’t really used to describe a medical condition anymore. It has fallen out of favor. The term is generally intellectually disabled now. So maybe it’s okay now that it’s not used clinically?

WiscCory, Carlin is widely considered one of the most genius and innovative comedians of all time. You certainly don’t have to like him though. And he would wear the tag of faithless proudly. So would many other logical/critical thinkers out there!