“Game”day for Seahawks; OL, LBs seeks continuity; 49ers have grass issues

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:05 am with 64 Comments »
August 22, 2014 6:40 pm

The Seahawks are getting at their team hotel for tonight’s exhibition game number three, against Chicago at 7 p.m. at CenturyLink Field.  Join in on our live game chat from the press box beginning at 6:30 p.m. at

Coach Pete Carroll on Thursday continued his hobby of being coy with us on how long his starters will play tonight. But quarterback Russell Wilson said (let slip?) on Wednesday that he expects to play into the third quarter, if not all the way to the fourth.

Into the second half is a safe bet — though maybe not for Wilson. Carroll wants to get Tarvaris Jackson more than the two series he had in the exhibition opener at Denver — and way more than the zero snaps he got last week against San Diego. Jackson worked some this week with the first-team offense — don’t be surprised if only Wilson leaves at some point and the rest of the starting offense stays in the game with Jackson leading them.

In today’s News Tribune I wrote about the buzzword for the Seahawks tonight: continuity. The offensive line needs it; if left tackle Russell Okung (offseason toe surgery) plays tonight as expected it will be the first time since the Super Bowl the first-team line has played in a game together. The linebackers also need it; they have yet to play together this summer, too. Malcolm Smith probably won’t play only two practice days back from ankle surgery in April. Starting middle linebacker Bobby Wagner (hamstring) may return to practice next week. Bruce Irvin (hip surgery) may or may not practice for the first time this summer by month’s end.

–Sounds like Marshawn Lynch will get his first carries of the preseason tonight. Carroll said yesterday that “it’s time.”

–Jared Allen, the sack master Chicago signed away from Minnesota in the offseason to a $32 million contract, usually stays on the defensive right end — Okung’s side. But it would be great, and revealing, for the Seahawks if Allen switched over to left defensive end some tonight. That would give Seahawks rookie right tackle Justin Britt his biggest test yet. It’s getting more obvious by the day that Britt’s going to be Seattle’s starter there for the opener Sept. 4 against Green Bay.

–If you missed it last night because I buried it in the comments section here, the 49ers new stadium already has some gardening issues, after just one exhibition game and a Sounders-San Jose Earthquakes soccer game in it. The team is replacing the entire field, from goal line to goal line.

1. yankinta says:

Yeah,, since the Defensive Starters for the Bears will be playing into 3rd Quarter,, I’d like to see T-Jack audition for the rest of the league. Let’s see if we can get some trade offers for him.

I’m kind of disappointed that there hasn’t be a major QB injuries for the rest of the NFL during the preseason this year…. was hoping to get a 4th or 5th rd pick offer for T-Jack.

2. Southendzone says:

You know Jared Allen is going to be trying extra hard tonight. I hope he gets completely shut down by the Hawks OL.

Yankinta, why would you wish for major QB injuries on the other NFL teams?

This Seahawks team doesn’t have to get anywhere through the back door.

And Jackson isn’t worth more than a 6 or 7 imo.

I think he could start for the Browns though. Lol.

4. Jared Allen can suck it. I hope Okung or Britt make him look silly. I’ve never liked the guy. I think he’s a dope. Helluva football player but a complete tool in my eyes. This was before he visited the Seahawks as a possible destination. Him and his dumb mullet.

Best part of tonight’s game is my brother in law lives in Chicago (born and raised a Bears fan) and my sister defected from the Seahawks when they got married (of course she hopped that bandwagon last year for the Superbowl run claiming to be a life long Hawks fan) so I’m hoping for some bragging rights at least thru the first three quarters with the starters playing since the only other chance to hunt those Bears will be in the playoffs.

Here we go Seahawks!!!!

5. Hubrismh says:

I’m not hoping to see Jared Allen against Britt this early, esp with RW in. But, at least Britt has been learning the ropes against a couple decent pass rushers on out team, so maybe he is ready of him. Gotta remember, Britt is really big and strong, and won’t be out muscled bu anyone. It’s the quicker guys that can get by him…

Yank? A 4th or 5th for an old back up? Let me educate you here since I’m a genius. That’s gonna happen when porky pig sprouts a set of wings… Smh :)

6. PugetHawk says:

Georgia – You took the words right out of my mouth. Well said!

7. PugetHawk says:

I hope Britt’s learning curve is shorter than Sweezy’s was his first few games. I think our line overall is way better than it was two years ago in Arizona but still.

I think Britt will catch on faster than the average O-line rookie.

Especially faster than Sweezy simply because Britt has 3-4 years of College experience to start with.

When looking at how long overall Sweezy has played O-line in his life it’s remarkable how fast he has learned to play at an NFL level.
    A little less than two years it took him & he keeps getting better.

9. Hubrismh says:

Easy now Georgia, Sweezy still gets “lost” a lot. But he is getting better, and that boy is powerful. But not exactly the perfect compliment to help out the rookie, as he still is very raw himself. But when those two bulldozers decide to pave a running lane, most any back should be able to get a few behind them…

10. DreadHawks says:

@ Sluggo, your comment about the 9ers white powder from last thread resultied in coffee thru my nose… coffee! Ouch. Growing up in the bay I’ve always disliked the 9ers and couldnt stand not posting that on my FB page. I hope you don’t mind. Can’t wait to see their responses. Excellent post!

11. Georgia–It is remarkable how far Sweezy came, and how fast. However, he was sooo bad his first year, and into the second half of last season, that I believe it was a terrible decision to keep playing him. He should have learned on the bench and EARNED his starting spot, not had it gifted to him based on talent, ignoring his utter lack of skill.

Moot point though, its in the past and cant be changed. Moving forward, he should be improved from last season, especially if Unger is 100% and Britt plays like we think he can. Having a competent RT will only help Sweezy–he hasnt had that since 2012 with Breno.

Britt should learn much faster than Sweezy did, for the simple fact that you pointed out–he’s got college and HS experience playing OL, which Sweezy lacked. He’s got a lot shorter learning curve!

12. Dave Boling has reported multiple times that Sweezy isnt getting pushed around in pass pro in camp, and he seems to be a road grader in the run game. He’s bulked up without losing agility, and his arms are freakin’ HUGE! While he struggled along with the rest of the line vs Denver, there was improvement last week vs SD.

My only worry is the fact that SD wasnt exactly blitzing or mixing up their line calls; it was pretty vanilla. Sweezy’s biggest issues have been knowing what to do in pass pro, and not keeping an eye out for the delayed LB blitz up the middle…We’ll hopefully get an idea how far he–and the rest of the line–have come vs Da Bears tonight…

Preseason or not, this is the dress rehearsal for Game One, and will give us an idea where we stand across the board. Im getting butterflies…

13. RDPoulsbo says:

The idea that any team would pay anything more than a 7th round conditional pick for a QB at this point in a season is fantasy even if someone suddenly broke his arm putting on a red jersey that makes them untouchable. A QB that hasn’t gone through TC with the rest of a team and no knowledge of a team’s playbook is not someone teams want to pay for. If they are disparate, they’ll get one off waivers and hope for next year, not a guy with a guaranteed contract that expires at the end of the season.

14. You missed it on the headline for this post – should have been, “49ers and Steelers have grass issues.” That’s karma for us Seahawks fans, lol.

15. chuck_easton says:

Hope always springs eternal in the land that Yanker inhabits.

I still remember Seattle was going to get a 3rd and 2nd rounder for Flynn, at least in the land of Yank.

Pryor is not quite ready to be the #2. He’s a freak athlete and has a cannon for an arm. Once he has a full year in this system and learns to throw to the guys wearing the same colour jersey and not into the ground, into the arms of the other coloured jersey, or out of the stadium he will be a solid backup.

This is the year of the 3qbs. Get used to it Yanker. It’s going to happen.

16. RDPoulsbo says:

Yes, every year a certain someone comes up the exact same idea and every year, he’s disappointed that it doesn’t come into fruition. Funny how that’s not factored into the 95%…

Meanwhile more trouble in 49er land.

It’s beginning to look like $4 mil and a 4th round pick in next year’s draft are were flushed down the drain.

17. It seems JS and PC have a blueprint for long-term viability of their vision of the team. You can see it in the big dollar contracts (except maybe Harvin’s). Team leader at QB, Def intimidators @ safeties & 1 CB, great RB. Then need good pass rush in some combination. Elite playmakers where you can find them, preferably young, but if not go find them (Rice, then Harvin). Use coaching system and youth to stock LBs, offensive line and other positions.

This means some angst on filling those non-elite positions with rotating talent, but with salary caps that’s the reality. So far it’s working out Super.

Man, I can’t wait to see the action against the Bears tonight!

18. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk and Hubrismh, I did say “hope” didn’t I?

I don’t wish the injuries on other teams. I was just saying there usually is a QB injury and other teams with extra quality cashed in, during previous years…. Now that we can spare quality QB,, I was hoping that will take place again. :)

I don’t believe that Sweezy totally sucked for almost two years & suddenly he mystically magically got much better.

Remember for much of last year he had a revolving door of lineman playing around him because of injuries.

For a player in his second year he had (fill in) players around him for much of last season.

How is any o-lineman in year two going to produce consistently with the overall continuity of the o-line in shambles?

When the starters came back from injuries Sweezy’s production improved at a faster rate.

No way can a player (even as good as Hutch was) not be affected by losing the continuity of three good veteran lineman due to injury.

Imagine how difficult it was for a 2nd year player (with no College experience) to try & hold it together on the line.

He couldn’t become what he is today & what he will become tomorrow sitting on the bench.

Yes he sucked at first but had he sat on the bench we wouldn’t have a very good RT guard now.

So it all worked out good.

Now we need to get him locked up before he gets too good & out of our price range.

20. MoSeahawk12 says:

Hoping for injuries to any player to get some kind of trade value is total bush league and no place in ball.
    Injuries happen all the time and looking forward to one on another team doesn’t improve your team.

21. Southendzone says:

The other reason these seahawk colored glasses type of trades don’t occur, is because NFL front offices are pretty shrewd about knowing who will be released. You can’t offer a trade of a guy they know you’re going to cut in most cases unless the trade partner is absolutely desperate.

22. So the game starts at 7pm. NFLN has the game listed as Live at 8pm.
    That doesn’t sound promising. I’ll probably end up having to watch it online again.

23. SandpointHawk says:

Can I hope that Jim Harbaugh trips on the field divots in the new Levi’s Stadium turf and gets grass stains on his khakis?

24. jawpeace says:

Getting excited for tonight as this will be the game the starters play into the third. Though only a quarter of play we will get to see backups fighting. I am guessing the Hawks already know their twos and we will see them a bunch next week. And it is the fours and threes last chance to show something before getting cut.

25. chuck_easton says:

I’d look into that if I were you.

My listings here in Mountain time show the game from the local affiliate (Fox in Spokane) carrying the game at 8PM (7PM Pacific).

My NFLN also shows the game starting at 8PM local Mountain time (10PM Eastern Time Zone).

26. Excellent analysis by Danny O’Neil about the Tavaris Jackson/Terrelle Pryor debate….

27. jawpeace says:

Down in Eugene the game will be shown on KEVU at 7:00. And what is cool the Hawk Pregame will be at 6:30. What is not cool is that the Hawk Access show on Root sports has been blacked out.

28. yankinta says:

rodman,, thanks for that link. What I wrote above clearly answers Danny’s question for Pete. We already know what we got in T-Jack but we want to him to audition for other teams and see if we can get trade offers…. :)

29. Sweezy s development could not have gone much better. If I remember correctly last season was considered a success. Many on this blog just were wrong about him and cable. This years o line if healthy has a chance to be very very good.

30. Hammajamma says:

Lots of Carp haters and Sweezy doubters here, but I have to second the comments from Wigman. Barring more injury trauma, this line should be, as RW would say, “just fine.”

31. jchawks08 says:

If anyone here goes to the game tonight, I’d be interested in hearing about Marshawn’s body language, pre-game. I went last Friday and was watching him during warm-ups. He seemed very lazy and lacadaisical. Is this normal for him? He was last to take hand-offs, last to run routes, last running from one drill to the other. Slow and last, the entire time. I was not impressed with the body language.
    Curious if it’s any different tonight.
    Thanks in advance!

32. I wouldn’t worry about Lynch. He’s a little flaky at everything he does except during games that count.

33. Seahawks All Access is “not available” here in Tri-Cities either. It was past years.

34. That is normal Marshawn. You did not mention dancing. I would be suprised if he was not dancing some. Lynch is not prototypical . He also plays the game with his grill in. Child like when is not playing but a grown ass man when he is. The game is easy for him. So glad he is a seahawk.

35. Ray_Maines says:

The one thing I really want to see tonight is the O-line clicking, and opening holes and protecting the QB. I need to see some light at the end of this tunnel.

I’m curious to see how Terrelle Pryor and Christine Michael fit into PC’s master plan and maybe tonight will shed some light. PC has forgotten more about football in the last 48 hours than I’ll ever know, but so far they look like the waste of two perfectly good draft picks to me.

36. boucherm says:

jchawks08–Marshawn always looks that way pregame. At training camp he’s actually often the last one through the d-line drills (not a joke). That’s just him.

37. Ray_Maines says:

BJ Daniels on the active 53 roster for a few games last year, so the Seahawks have at least a little history of carrying 3 QB’s.

38. The only way that I see the team trading or cutting Tarvaris is if Pryor believes that he can beat out Russell Wilson in ’15. If he does not think he can compete with Wilson, he will find another team that he thinks he can start for. It is to Pryor’s credit that he thinks he can be a starter somewhere, as that is the kind of confidence a QB should have.

If we lose Jackson (and Daniels), and Pryor leaves for a better opportunity, then we are left without a viable backup, and probably a late draft pick. We’d likely be back to trying to sign Flynn, or someone equally incompetent.

I included Daniels because I don’t believe that he will be safe on the practice squad, since he has shown some skills this preseason.

39. The plan is not a secret. Have competition at all positions and win games. The starters are the current champions. I have little doubt if there was a 2nd and 3rd team superbowl we would win that also. To say that hawks waste picks is just silly. All other team just waiting for us to cut loose wasted picks. Because the picks they made were the wasted ones.

40. “This is the year of the 3qbs. Get used to it Yanker. It’s going to happen.”

I agree. Need Jackson for the reliability/continuity in case Russell goes down; on a SB contending team w/the best homefield advantage in the league, you can’t afford to just drop a couple games. And I think they keep Pryor because, as many have pointed out, the guy is an athletic freak, and our coach/GM can never seem to have enough of those guys.

41. The 7th round pick they gave up for Pryor was not a waste. That was one of the last picks in the draft. There was nobody they wanted with that pick that they couldn’t have invited to camp as an undrafted free agent.

And how is Michael a “waste”? That is silly talk.

42. Ray_Maines says:

How is Michael a “waste”?

It’s not that Christine Michael IS a waste, but that the draft pick looks like it was wasted.

I mean, what has he done for the Seahawks lately? It’s not like the brain trust took a swing and missed at a position of need (ala Bruce Irvin), but they had two good running backs and an O-Line that needed help. Now they have three good running backs and an O-Line that could still use a little help.

The TP pick was only a 7th rounder so that’s not a big deal, but 3rd string QB isn’t really a position of need either.

Your wife would accuse you of wasting money if she sent you to the store for bread and meat and you came home with 20 lbs of pickles because they were on a great sale. That’s how come it looks like those were wasted picks to me.

43. That’s good, Ray. From now on when I see C. Michael I’ll think of 20 lbs. of pickles!

44. Now I’ve heard it all! Christine Michael not even worth 20 lbs of pickles….

45. I understood you were referring to the draft pick. But Michael has had only one season on the team, and has not even had a real “chance” yet, since Lynch is #1 and Turbin was already a good backup.

By your logic, the pick they used on Golden Tate was a “waste” since he didn’t do anything his first season either. Some guys take while to develop.

They didn’t draft him to make an immediate impact. It’s way too soon to call that a wasted pick. After 1 season where he hardly even played?

If we cut Pryor & keep (Jackson & Daniels) I just may go back to Jack Daniels.

Turbin is a good backup I agree but he hasn’t even scored one TD in two years yet.

I think so anyways. Maybe I’m wrong here.

Perhaps he will get some TDs now with more attention on flagging the DBs & maybe less on our o-line that killed most of his long runs last year.

48. I didn’t love the Michael pick when it happened – thinking that as a SB contending team, we needed everything to work out right (including getting production out of a 2nd round pick)in order to have a shot at winning the SB. But, then we went ahead and won it anyway, and now I find myself very happy to have a by all accounts, supertalented young back waiting in the wings and hungry for carries. PC/JS know how to build a roster, including positional depth, better than anyone else in the league right now.

49. Ray_Maines says:

rbuzby, I think you’re just being difficult. If we had Megatron and Brandon Marshall on the team, a crappy O-Line, and then drafted GT, it would have been (according to me) a wasted pick.

GT might or might not have been the best choice (different argument), but WR was a position of need at the time. Running back and 3rd string QB aren’t real high on my current priority list.

50. I’m not being difficult, I’m just disagreeing with you.

51. Ray_Maines says:

But I really don’t mean to argue the point. It’s only an opinion. Still though, CM & TP are the two most puzzling moves PC&JS have made in the last four years

52. You changed your reasoning. At first you said it was a wasted pick because he hasn’t done anything yet. Then you said it was wasted because the team had other needs. That makes more sense. I wish we had drafted some more O lineman too.

53. jawpeace says:

I will be fun watching CBS at 5:00 showing Green Bay and the Raiders game- a preview of what we will be facing in our first game.

54. jawpeace says:

55. PLUHawkFan says:

I would definitely say that this years O-line “should” be better…. to say they will be very very good though I think is a little bit of a stretch.

Not out of the realm of possibility, but doubtful. I will just be happy if they are average or slightly better then average. For the “team” that will be very very good :)

56. Ray_Maines says:

Well sometimes I don’t even make sense to myself so you may be right.

At 2:57 I said “but so far they look like the waste of two perfectly good draft picks to me.” Then at 4:08 I kind of waffled around, so I can see your point. I knew what I meant, damn it, why didn’t you?

That brings up a good point though: What if CM would have beat out Turbin and Lynch, then gone on to set NFL rushing records? Would I still think it was a wasted pick? Um, let me get back to you on that.

57. PLUHawkFan says:

I think your being a bit hard on Turbin. He actually played pretty well last season. He just had really really bad luck, mainly due to our O-Line. I can think of at least 10-15 very NICE runs with him that got called back on penalty.

In fact it seemed every single time he busted a good run, I was saying to myself “ok where is the flag” I can’t remember a single one that actually counted.

58. I’m watching the Patriots and Panthers on the pc and the local Patriots broadcast is sponsored by “Bob’s Discount Furniture”. Funny.

59. Ray_Maines says:

Oh Yeah! The Packers go for two after scoring a TD in the first couple of minutes. That’s how to play the pre-season! I’m still mad the Seahawks didn’t go for a first down after TP came within a foot of a first down in game one.

60. Golden Tate just caught a pass in the Detroit Jacksonville game.

61. I stand by my words. If healthy all year the o line will be very very good. Wilson is unstoppable if he just gets a little more time. Not good unstoppable. Lynch is unstoppable if he gets just a little more room. If this happens we will have huge leads and CM Will close out games with big gains. Possible we have 3 lineman selected to the pro bowl. Glass man, Felix and the 8th dwarf sweezy. Go hawks.

62. The Raiders D line is man handling the Packers O line. Green Bay is going to have a tough time in Seattle game 1.