Seahawks restocking to fuller health at LB; NFC West rival loses its best stopper

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 19, 2014 at 8:19 am with 86 Comments »
August 19, 2014 8:23 am

Might be hard to believe — or it might seem to you like it will never get here — but there are just two weeks and two days until the Seahawks and Packers get the NFL’s real season started at CenturyLink Field.

That’s what makes the return to health of Seattle’s linebacking unit timely. The Seahawks’ deepest position had been thin all summer, but Monday Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith returned to the practice field for the first time since ankle surgery in May. Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin may be back next week. And as I wrote in today’s News Tribune, all the injuries have created two revelations: Brock Coyle and Mike Morgan.

Coyle’s emergence from undrafted rookie to proven leader and signal caller of an NFL-champion defense may cost 10-year veteran Heath Farwell a job. Expect Farwell to get ample opportunity in these final two exhibition games, including Friday at home against Chicago, in what could prove to be something of a last stand at backup middle linebacker and on special teams.

–Also in today’s TNT, columnist Dave Boling gives credit where sometimes credit skips: do-it-all, say-little tight end Zach Miller.

As an aside, my guess is teammates playfully got on Miller and good for not being able to lumber into the end zone on that wide-open, long pass down the middle from Russell Wilson in the first half last week against San Diego. I mean, there was no one from him to the Canadian boarder when Miller caught that pass at about the 20(!)

–The  Seahawks’ two games this season with the NFC West-rival Arizona Cardinals changed yesterday when Cardinals’ premier defensive lineman Darnell Dockett tore his antierior cruciate ligament in his knee. He is done for the year.

Say what you wish about Dockett’s mouth. His play is among the best the Seahawks have to block each season. The game plan of every offense that will face Arizona this season just changed.

–The Seahawks are back at practice starting just after 10 a.m. Pacific time in Renton. I will be there, watching to see how much more Malcolm Smith does in day two of his return, to see if O’Brien Schofield and Bryan Walters return from their Mondays of what coach Pete Carroll said was rest.

1. FleaFlicker says:

Another great post on the blog! Feels like 2005 and the reign of Sando all over again. Except this time around we have a nice little trophy in the cabinet.

Had to believe we’re sixteen days from the opener. Feel bad for the guys that won’t make it, I really like all of the players I’ve read about at camp this year (maybe I’m getting soft or maybe we just have really good reporting this year?).

Two weeks from now 30% of this team will be gone. 30 of 90 will be outright cuts and hopefully we can stock up the practice squad with some hidden gems. It would be interesting to do a follow-up story (maybe during the bye week?) to see where those 30 folks end up.

2. FleaFlicker says:

“hard to believe”. not “had”

3. yankinta says:

yup yup,, I had a feeling Arizona was gonna regress this year, even without the loss of Darnell Dockett….

After 2 Preseason game,, my list of top 5 teams that will regress this year, has not changed much.

1. Arizona Cardinals
    2. Kansas City Chiefs
    3. Denver Broncos
    4. 49ers
    5. Colts

let’s see if my 95% stays true… :)

4. FleaFlicker says:

and of course I meant 33%, not 30%

5. FleaFlicker says:

Yank – I’d agree with Card, Chiefs, and 49ers being the teams to regress this year.

Can’t put my finger on it, but it just feels like there’s something wrong with the Niners organization right now, with all the holdouts and such and that incredibly team friendly contract for Kaep. Colin may have been a 4.0 student in high school, but jeez what a dumb move.

But I’m not sold on Broncos and Colts being set for a decline. What’s your rationale?

6. Dockett’s injury was a terrible occurrence, he is truly one of the best in the game. That said, his absence will make Seattle’s path through the division a bit more clearly defined. We still have no easy path, but, the path within the division is slowly becoming a bit less thorny.

Go ‘Hawks!

7. chuck_easton says:

FleaFlicker,

Don’t open that Pandora’s box with the Yankster!

We all know why he will include the Colts in every one of his lists of teams to decline, teams that won’t make the playoffs, teams that are over rated. It is his intense and bordering on irrational dislike of the guy that had the nerve to be drafted 1st in the 2012 draft ahead of Yanksters main boytoy.

And I’m assuming he includes the Broncos because they had the nerve to show up in the SB and have only gone out and made themselves stronger on D.

8. djbargelt says:

I don’t wish injuries on any player, but Dockett is a complete jerk and a dirty player. I still remember when he buried his knee on Hasselbeck’s neck, pinning him to the ground, and would not let him up. Karma is hell sometimes!

9. yankinta says:

FleaFlicker,, I think the Broncos will regress because they don’t play Top 5 easiest schedule this year, which is what they did last year. And I think that the Chargers have improved and they might even win the AFC West this year….

As for the colts, they played one of the softest schedule last year and they will play Top 5 easiest schedule again this year. But I really like Jaguars and Titans this year. They should improve a lot to compete for the Division title. If they can get an average QB play, then that’ll be up to par with the Colts…

Did you know that I said Falcons would miss the playoff before 2013 season began and almost everyone on this blog called me crazy?? But I saw it coming.. :)

10. Gregg, any insights on KPL?

I was initially high on him, and as a 4th round pick, thought he’d make the 53. But is his injury going to keep him out? It seems his time is limited now to prove his worth before the final cut. Since we are strong at LB, might he start on the IR?

Tough cuts, but I’d keep Coyle somehow.

11. Docket, Suh, Merriweather…guys like them who can’t/won’t play fair I have no sympathy for whatsoever. They are garbage players with no place in this league–the sooner they leave, the better.

Farwell is a Good dude and played great last year at MLB in goal line D. I hope he gets on another team. But he hasn’t looked good at MLB this preseason…

Miller is a fine player, and he’s worth every penny they are paying him, he was badly overpaid for 3 years though and really hit the lottery since he was able to use that idiot Al Davis as leverage for his bloated deal here. He also misses games every year due to injury. He can’t be counted on to be there all year. Soon, Seattle needs to find a replacement.

12. FleaFlicker says:

Yank, I agree with you on Jags having a shot for AFC South. They went 4-4 down the stretch. Not a killer record, but it’s good momentum heading into Gus Bradley’s second year. Throw in some Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, and intriguing draft picks. Yeah, I could see Jags reaching for the 9 to 10 win range.

Not sure what to make of the Titans. But I’m pretty sure I want Bishop Sankey on my fantasy team. Kid has a chance to be a three down back in a less than scary passing offense.

13. FleaFlicker says:

STTBM – I think Miller is somewhat hobbled, statistically, by the system. He’s primarily a member of the O-line, not the receiving corps. But when he’s featured, he can be dangerous. Like the playoff game against at Atlanta. He’s still the best TE on our roster. IMHO.

14. Pierre-Louis is up against it with Morgan, Irvin, Toomer for two maybe three spots. Wags, Wright, Smith are locks, Coyle nearly so. Toomer would have made it but he can’t stay healthy. Morgan and Coyle have changed everything…

I like every one of our backers; hate to see anyone cut. But remember Bradford and Lotuleilei?! Or Herring and Hawthorne before them? We won’t miss them. I do think our young guys will make noise with other teams, but the point remains…we’re LOADED at LB!

15. yankinta says:

FleaFlicker,, yeah,, the Jags just need somewhere close to average QB play. We all know how bad Blaine was/is. Chad should be able to provide that. And I really like Blake Bortles so far. I think he has a very good chance to become the best QB in that Division, by 2015…

As for the Titans, they were ready to make some noise and Jake Locker got hurt. Jake was finally coming together last year and it was a shame he got hurt. If he stays healthy, he’ll definitely be on Par with Andrew Luck and that’ll give them a chance…

16. Flea–I agree, Miller is awesome. He’s got the best hands of any TE in football. But he’s lost so much speed the last two years, he’s no longer much of a downfield threat. And of course, just like the WR’s, his stats are lower due to our system.

Love the guy, I just get annoyed when writers try to make a hero out of him for taking a pay cut when he was disgustingly overpaid and is now slower than the retired Sean McGrath lol!

17. HawkfaninMT says:

Gotta define “regress” also… Denver win 13 games last year so 12 wins is technically regressing, but that would still be stellar

18. Yankinta–I too thought Locker was getting it together last year and was sorry to see him go down. But he isn’t close to the player Luck is, and you know it. Luck made a couple throws only five qb’s in the game could make vs us last year–and none of those qb’s are named RW or Locker.

Locker is still a woefully inaccurate passer.

19. chuck_easton says:

Yank,

I would challenge you on the Broncos taking a step back. Who in their Division is going to push them out of the Division crown?

Certainly not the Raiders.

The Chiefs are a bit of a mess right now, and they just learned their prized OL Fisher isn’t doing well on his rehab from shoulder surgery. Bowie will be suspended for the 1st game. Alex Smith isn’t happy about his contract situation. I see the Chiefs as a team that doesn’t even make the playoffs.

That leaves San Diego. Maybe, if they have a good run in their Division. But just from what we saw in pre-season the AFCW is already wrapped up and has a bow on it for the NFL golden boy Manning.

And now with this new emphasis on DB contact (which I call the Manning needs another Ring Rule and not the LOB rule) Manning is going to throw for 10,000 yards and 80 TD’s this year. Well at least if the NFL has anything to say about it.

20. FleaFlicker says:

STTBM: McGrath is retired? Dang. I was somewhat gratified to see him land a starting spot with KC last year after being cut from our team. 11.5 months ago, a starter on a playoff caliber team. Now a “civilian”…this is truly an unforgiving game.

21. Singularitarian says:

Wilson consistently makes plays that Locker couldn’t, and I don’t know that Luck’s arm or accuracy is better than Wilson’s

22. FleaFlicker says:

Question: I just read that practice squads will be increased to 10 members. Does that change take effect immediately?

OK, I’ve now officially blown an hour of my day reading Seahawks stuff. Time to do something productive….

23. Singularitarian says:

San Diego overachieved last year. they are an 8-9 win team this year. remember they benefitted from that same “soft schedule”

24. yankinta says:

STTBM,, that’s not true. after the first 3-4 games,, I thought Locker had finally become a really good QB with Elite potential… you don’t have to take my word for it. I think grantland.com wrote an article about that… you should look it up and read it. :)

chuck_easton,, as I said above, I think the Chargers will compete for the Division title. I think the Chargers has better defense than Broncos, and probably will have better run game than Broncos. And most people don’t realize Chargers have 2 LEGIT No.1 Wide Receivers this year. They just have to stay healthy, imo to compete Division Title.

25. Singularitarian says:

Jacksonville might push for a 500, but they are nowhere near ready offensively to make any splash. They have a journeyman qb who wouldn’t start on 30 other teams, who will start the year and then lose the job to an unproven rookie mid season. they don’t have receiver depth, or anybody good outside Cecil Shorts and they have an unproven career backup RB who hasn’t proven he can be a starter, running behind a piss poor line. I would bet they win 6 games, maybe 7

26. Singularitarian says:

Malcolm Floyd is not a number one receiver dude

27. Denver also mades some additions to their defense, and more importantly they should be getting back two of their best players in Von Miller and Ryan Clady.

28. yankinta says:

Singularitarian,, Chargers believe that he is. And I agree with them. Why do you think they decided to not sign Vincent Jackson? smh…

29. HawkfaninMT says:

I thought Allen was the number 1 WR?

30. ChrisHolmes says:

“Locker is still a woefully inaccurate passer.”

Truer words never written.

Locker never had a chance in the NFL. His college completion percentage was never good, and his NFL completion percentage hasn’t been any better. He’s inaccurate, plain and simple, and that flaw alone will prevent him from ever being anything more than a journeyman QB in the NFL.

Accuracy is something you can’t teach by this stage. A guy either is, or isn’t accurate with his passes.

On top of that, Locker isn’t terribly cerebral. He still makes some really dumb decisions with the ball, and he’s been in the league four years.

Locker = Backup NFL QB.

Also, NY Giants should be at the head of any list concerning teams “regressing”. They were 9-7 last year; they won’t make that mark this year. Their new OC has them playing a brand of football they are not comfortable with, and one that I don’t think fits Eli’s skill set very well.

The Dockett injury… that’s just rough. I feel bad for him. I know most Seahawks fans hate the guy, but if he was on our team I’d love him. He’s relentless. I hate seeing guys be out for a year with an injury like that. But, it does make it easier on Seattle.

As for the idea that Denver will “regress” – that’s just a lack of thinking power right there.

Manning won’t let that offense “regress”, and their defense is better. The only threat to them is the Chargers, and I don’t think San Diego has enough firepower to win that division, even if Rivers has another career year.

31. ChrisHolmes says:

“Why do you think they decided to not sign Vincent Jackson?”

Because he wanted too much money and too long of a contract, and AJ Smith wasn’t going to pay an aging veteran WR like that.

Jackson leaving SD was all about Jackson’s next contract. It had nothing to do with any other receivers or who might be a future #1. AJ was never going to pay VJ, regardless of who else was on the roster.

32. yankinta says:

ChrisHolmes,, we should bring this up again in Nov. I marked my calendar for you. :)

33. spencerdt says:

Denver will regress as soon as Manning finally gets broken in two. The man defines slow afoot, even if he makes incredibly fast decisions of who to deliver the ball to. However, I think the Super Blow will define an already understood blueprint of how to beat Denver by pressuring Manning.

I think the Rams will be the challenge in the NFC West. SF and Arizona are declining for a variety of reasons, both mental and physical.

34. doubledink says:

Miller was laughing at himself when he got tackled at the 2. He knew he was going to pay for that! It cracked me up.

35. ChrisHolmes says:

You are too concerned with being “right” about your “predictions”. In case you didn’t know, clairvoyance is not something humans possess. If you truly had such a gift, you would have put your money where your mouth is by now, and you’d be a rich man. But you’re not. You are a narcissist; a blowhard. This makes you lame.

Time and time again your “predictions” have proven wrong, and other posters have done a very good job pointing out your inaccuracies, but you continue to cling to a mythical “95%” accuracy for your own predictions.

This, so you know, is delusional.

In addition, you keep referencing comments that you say you made on this blog, yet other posters have repeatedly pointed out such comments do not exist, because we know when you joined the blog and when you first posted.

Another sign that you are, indeed, delusional…

In which case, as you are a delusional narcissist, historically referred to as a megalomaniac. If you want to read about megalomania, here is the wiki entry:

I think every other poster on this board would agree: that description fits you 100%.

I would strongly recommend therapy for you. It can actually help.

Megalomani is really, really lame. Only you can fix yourself.

36. Singularitarian says:

the whole “blueprint for beating Denver” thing is a farce. Maybe the “Blueprint for beating Denver, if you happen to have the best defensive backfield in the history of the NFL” Other teams can not get pressure up the middle and handle all those receivers. even Seattle had to get a bit lucky to shut them down. I would still put my money on Peton throwing for 300 yards and three touchdowns if the superbowl was a do over

37. ChrisHolmes says:

“However, I think the Super Blow will define an already understood blueprint of how to beat Denver by pressuring Manning.”

Having a blueprint and having the personnel and expertise to follow it are two completely different things.

Most teams don’t Seattle’s defensive personnel, or schematic knowledge. They can’t use Seattle’s blueprint to be Denver because they don’t have all the necessary parts.

Manning is a master, and a future first-ballot Hall of Famer. He’s still going to be the least-sacked QB in the NFL.

Really, unless a horrific accident occurs to Manning – some kind of Theismann-esque thing – Denver should roll to a division title, and probably another first-round bye.

My money, however, is on the Patriots getting to the Superbowl for the AFC. Wishful thinking, but I want to see Seattle beat Bellichick and Brady…

38. MoSeahawk12 says:

Denver will win 12-13 games this year. They will have a tough time against the NFC West and those might be their only losses on the season. Their D is going to be much better than last year. I’d say, top ten for sure. They can still be very dangerous team with the possibility of being the number one ranked offense again that will now be supported by a much better D. The rest of the AFC West is not ready to make any noise.

39. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

Chrisholmes, nice comment on the yankster.

40. chuck_easton says:

I like the way both the Patriots and the Ravens are looking in the AFC this year.

I am hoping that one of those two teams can beat Denver in the AFC championship game and stop Denver from going back to the SB. I fear this “Manning Needs Another Ring” rule will have a bearing on any SB Denver plays. We all know what can happen when the NFL decides a particular team should win the SB so there can be that feel good story.

Need I mention the “Bettis Needs To Win A Ring At Home Before He Retires Rule” and how that had an impact on SB XL?

There is such a small chance that Denver does not win the AFCW and thus is not in the playoffs that I have pretty much pencilled them into the playoffs.

41. Southendzone says:

If you define regression as less wins than prior year, you are pretty safe to just pick the top 5 teams by wins and pick them to regress. If I were to do that for the last 4 seasons, I’d have:

2009: 5/5 teams “Regressed”
    2010: 3/5 teams “Regressed”
    2011: 5/5 teams “Regressed”
    2012: 2/5 teams “Regressed”

Of the 5 teams above that didn’t regress, 4 of them stayed the same, and only 1 improved, the 2012 to 2013 49ers.

42. MoSeahawk12 says:

You could easily put us there as winning thirteen games is going to be tough to repeat in our division. In fact, I’d bet twelve wins would be the peak.

43. yankinta says:

Southendzone,, lol then why do these people have such strong feelings about it?? please explain..

44. I think Miller has been worth EVERY penny he was paid – and took a cut when he needed to.

He wasn’t brought in to light up the passing yards, Here IMO how he has helped this team

1. Attitude adjustment – He was brought in to be a leader for the new system.
    2. Blocking – With out him we would have NEVER made the playoffs in RW’s rookie year he HAD to block for most of the entire season and wasn’t able to get out into the patterns at all
    3. Clutch – when given the opportunity he has stepped up and done what ever is needed.

yes he had slowed down and needed to take the cut at this point in time but he was the EXACT type of player we needed when they picked him up

45. Denver had an easy schedule last year, their going to struggle against the NFC Best and AFC East w/Cin and Indy. I don’t see them repeating what they did last year, but if they do, not even the refs would be able to stop us from repeating that ass whoopin’. Dever will get exposed in the 3rd week again and if they do make the SB, they’ll probably have piss running down their legs once they step on the feild. Go Hawks.

46. ChrisHolmes says:

@Southendzone Sure, that’s one way to do it.

I would tend to think of regression as something beyond the win-loss record though. That’s why I mentioned the Giants; I think they’re going to regress in a number of ways, beyond win-loss, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I think they’re offense is going to regress in just about every statistically meaningful way except maybe INT’s thrown by Eli (hard to top last year’s numbers.. ghastly).

Regression, to me, is more than just more losses; it’s a systemic failure along multiple aspects of the team, through multiple phases of the game.

I guess best historical example I could cite is what happened to Seattle when Mora took over. Our regression that year went way beyond win-loss record. Mora destroyed that team from the inside-out. Same thing happened to the Bucs when Schiano took over. MN with Brad Childress…

I see Giants with a new OC has a potential candidate for major regression. 49ers, possibly, due to injuries and I think Harbaugh’s shtick might be wearing thin on even his own team. KC overachieved, last year, I thought. They had to lose some guys to FA; I think if they fall back a bit this year it’s more of a talent issue than a systemic one.

Panthers would also be really high on my regression list. They lost a lot of guys to FA and retirement, and I just don’t think they have the guys for Newton to throw too. Not to mention, I’m still not sold on Newton as a bigtime NFL QB. I still question his decision-making ability. He clearly has the physical tools, but I keep expecting a Vince Young-like falloff to occur. And they play in a division against what should be an improved Saints team and improved Falcons team. I just can’t see Carolina repeating last year’s success, and I think offensively it makes sense for them to regress while the young kids learn how to play (I do really like Kelvin Benjamin though, a guy I thought Seattle might take in the draft, and who so far looks really good).

47. SD and Philly are the only two teams that scare me a little, other than that, I can see us getting 13 wins again. Piece of cake.

48. Hubrismh says:

The colts will regress because luck is horrid… I predict this happens and I’m always right, so, step back and learn by listening to the smartest blogger here… Smh :)

49. doubledink says:

Tru,
    13 wins ain’t no piece of cake, no way, no how. Not in the NFL.

50. freedom_X says:

Interestingly, Zach Miller had a very respectable 11.7 yd avg and a long of 60 yards last year. Which was actually longer than any pass Jimmy Graham caught in the 2013 regular season. Not that I think Miller is faster than Graham, but his speed might be underrated by some due to the emphasis on blocking and the lack of opportunities (and his running style.)

At the time Miller was signed, I think he got a market rate for a (then) young Pro Bowl tight end. So I don’t believe he was overpaid when they signed him, but you could argue any high-paid receiver on Seattle’s Carroll teams could be overpaid, since they don’t throw much.

The real mark of overpaid is whether that persons’ salary cost the team signing someone else they really wanted. In Miller (and Rice’s) case, they had tons of cap room and they didn’t miss out on anyone else they wanted to sign. They could give Miller and Rice big contracts, still carry over cap space, and set up for the time the young talent needed to be paid (now.)

51. Hubrismh says:

ChrisHolmes, you are so right. Megalomania is so difficult to deal with! Thank goodness I don’t have any problems with that as I deal only with facts, and I’m about 98% right! just from memory.

Georgia loves him some Sweezy, STTBM doesn’t. He is probably somewhere in the middle. Getting better, not close to all pro.
    Maybe with a complete line they can be synergistic, and rise to an above average group.

Denver will not regress, nobody’s any good in AFC west. Final battle,will be afc championship game against Pats. Unless, lucky gets lucky… Cuz he stinks…

Smh

52. ChrisHolmes says:

Zach, like all our receivers, is going to be harder to judge on salary/production scale because Seattle’s receivers are always going to have fewer opportunities than other pass-heavy teams.

What I like about our club is how efficient they’ve become with the opportunities they have. Wilson showed that in the playoffs, and in particular the Superbowl game. He was just very, very efficient throwing, and the receivers didn’t drop balls.

This team is enough to finally wipe away the memory of those Holmgren-lead teams where Koren Robinson, Darryl Jackson and Jerramy Stevens dropped every other pass that came their way. How many years did we lead the league in drops anyway? I hated seeing all those dropped passes.

This is why I love Baldwin so much, and why I love that catch that Kearse made on 4th-and-forever against the 49ers in the playoff game… Guy draped all over him, and he comes down with it.

Studs.

53. yankinta says:

ChrisHolmes,, weren’t you the one that talked all big when I said Atlanta wouldn’t make the playoff last year. I have yet to see you eat crow for it. C’mon Be a Man. or not. :)

54. jawpeace says:

You guys say Yank is annoying. I find it annoying that you have to jump on every comment he makes like a horny dog in heat.

djbargelt I do not remember Dockett burying his knee in Hasselbeck’s throat. It was his forearm on his throat and he used it to push himself off the ground. I would not doubt if it was some other player he used his knee.

Which brings me to Holmes. NO WAY would I like, let alone love Dockett if he were a Hawk. It is called character and being a decent person. Dockett on the field has neither quality. Right now my least favorite Hawk is quite a good player-Michel Bennet. At least his play on the field is not dirty. His off the field character is what I don’t like, based on his actions with his dog.

55. RDPoulsbo says:

As much as I liked what Farwell brought to ST, I doubt he makes the team. Never fear though, he’ll be a Jag in 2 weeks…

Dockett is a dirty player, but he was also one of the best players AZ had. I’m predicting they finish 4th in the division with less than 5 wins. They’ve lived completely on their defense and Fitz these past few years. Now the D is falling apart and I seriously doubt Palmer can put together a decent season to hold up the offense.

56. RDPoulsbo says:

Haven’t commented lately, but I saw a bunch of posts about BJ Daniels going to the PS. Just not going to happen even if they tried. Does anyone think the 49ers would let him pass through waivers when their #2 QB is Blaine Gabbert?

57. ChrisHolmes says:

“Which brings me to Holmes. NO WAY would I like, let alone love Dockett if he were a Hawk. It is called character and being a decent person. Dockett on the field has neither quality.”

I didn’t say you’d love him. I said I would.

We’re all entitled to our own personal love/hate list. I was the guy who didn’t want Terrell Owens on our team no matter what; I hate that dude. But, if you cannot tell, I have an issue with narcissistic people. It’s a disease that is treatable.

58. seatowntp says:

Yank, I was just wondering who prescribes your medication. I think that I too want to live in an alternate reality. Let’s be clear, I do NOT want to share YOUR alternate reality, just somewhere other than this one. If you wouldn’t mind, I’d really like the name and contact information of your prescriber. Thank you buddy. Strawberry fields forever. Seahawk blue and green confetti forever.

59. montanamike2 says:

RDPoulsbo, i don’t think Daniels would make it past the AFC teams in front of the Whiners, Backup QB’s are needed by too many teams.

60. RDPoulsbo says:

I used the 9ers as an example because Daniels was already in their system. As much as I disparage the #3 QB position, I wouldn’t even want Gabbert to be a #3, let alone a #2. The 49ers better hope Kaep stays healthy all season.

61. SeventiesHawksFan says:

What is this nonsense with posturing about your prediction success rate, yankinta? This is after all a Seahawks blog and discussion forum, though you seem to routinely want to make it at least partially about yourself. Even if you had a 98% prediction success rate . . . no one would care much. And the way you choose to gratuitously remind those here would be perceived as sophomoric and self congratulatory. Which finishes your credibility anyway.

If perhaps you would choose to train your vast perceptive powers and acumen inward, you would also perhaps perceive how the way you choose to present yourself is interpreted and received by those who read your posts.

I happen to believe myself that Denver will be a better overall team this year, especially on defense and along their offensive line. This should also be counterbalanced by the ‘blueprint’ for beating them that the Seahawks provided. many teams may not have the personnel to do what the Hawks did in the Super Bowl, but that still IS the most effective known way to play them. What that may mean for their overall win / loss record I would *guess* to be 2 fewer wins and closer games overall.

I also half expect the Seahawks to run them over again for the regular season game, with the preseason game being the rope a dope game. But who knows?

And if I’m incorrect about anything I’ve written here, no one will much care. And if I’m right, I won’t be reminding everyone . . . because also no one will care, including me.

62. Bad karma to be happy about any player’s injury — even Dockett. Don’t like to see anyone tear an ACL, and would be pissed if Cards fans were carping about a Sherman injury (to pick a guy that we love, but a lot of other team’s fans hate).

Also, ChrisHolmes, speaking the truth. Ouch.

63. jawpeace says:

LOL glad I was not drinking anything when I read that Bruce Irvin made it into the top 100 best defensive players in the NFL.

Holmes, you are right you did not project Docket love onto other 12’s. Though relentless I don’t know how anybody could love his playing style. But to each his own.

64. ChrisHolmes says:

“ChrisHolmes,, weren’t you the one that talked all big when I said Atlanta wouldn’t make the playoff last year. I have yet to see you eat crow for it. C’mon Be a Man. or not”

Unlike you, I do not define my own self-worth by virtue of my own prognostications. Unlike you, I am not delusional about my own clairvoyant ability (I am not clairvoyant; frankly, no one is). Unlike you, I do not place undo importance on the opinions of others, on my own opinion, or who is “right.”

I have no idea what I said about Atalanta – and I do not care. Whatever I said about Atlanta makes absolutely no difference to the world at large, and does not define who I am as a person. I do not care if I was right or wrong about any “guess” I have ever made.

Frankly, there is no “crow” to eat.

That is the difference between you and me: You care too much about being “right” about a “guess”. I do not care at all. I don’t care if you are right, if I am right, or if we’re both wrong.

What I do care about is sharing opinions with others, learning something from them, learning why they hold their opinion (because learning “why” is actually important, and may reveal new information to me, which will allow me to reshape my own opinion). Mostly, I care about having a respectful conversation about the Seahawks – something you cannot seem to do, since you are more concerned with prognosticating, telling everyone how right you are, and belittling others as less intelligence or knowledgeable than you.

As for being a “man”…

A “man” does not self-proclaim his own greatness, or intelligence, or knowledge. A “man” does not state falsehoods in public; a “man” doesn’t say, “I said this and I’m right!”, and then have a half-dozen other posters on the message board disprove his statement by virtue of his sign up date.

You are a blowhard and a liar. And that is what I do not like about you.

A “man” does not spend his time constantly telling everyone else how little they know, and how great he is by comparison.

A “man”, in short, doesn’t act anything like you.

You place far, far too much importance on being “right” about a “guess.” That speaks to a severely skewed brain inside your head.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and want to share them, and that is normal. But they are only that: opinions. Not truths, not facts.

To be completely honest, I wish you’d just go away. And if I were in charge of this board, I’d have banned you a long time ago.

I’ve ignored you in the past. But at some point in time, someone has to stand up to the troll in the room and let them know: you are a liar and a blowhard, and your presence tarnishes everything great about this blog.

You need to take a good, long look at yourself, and your behavior, and try and change. Or get some professional help. And I am being completely serious here – no sarcasm at all: you have a serious mental condition, and you have displayed that condition for as long as you have been on these boards. You need to seek professional help. I fear what the rest of your life is like, and what it will be.

Is blogging a disease that’s treatable?

If it is please help me.

66. Southendzone says:

CH: Yes, there are a lot of ways to measure regression for NFL teams. I picked the easiest to measure.

In terms of Yank’s prediction, it’s probably the best way to look back and see if a team truly did regress.

It gets to complicated to try and take his blanket 5 team statement and isolate it in categories, oh this team had better O, worse D.

My point was, that if I pick a handful of 10+ win teams and say they are my picks to regress, it’s about as bold a statement as picking my top 5 favorite fish and saying they are good swimmers.

67. FivePercentWrong says:

I think if I Shook My Head as much as Yank, I too, would have delusions of grandeur.

68. ChrisHolmes says:

@Southendzone Oh, no question. I wasn’t trying to argue with you. I agree with your assertion; it’s not a bold statement at all.

What I’m interested in seeing this year is if the Jaguars can improve. I love Gus; hoping they do well. I think for that to happen, however, Bortels is going to have to play.

Will be interesting to see how Seattle South plays.

69. SaigonSun says:

I kind of feel like what pdway said in the previous post : don’t mess with Karma. Most of us don’t like Dockett ( including myself) but, every time I get tempted to rejoice in his misfortune, I remember I love “my” Seahawks, and I don’t wish any ill coming to them.
    As for yankita….. I don’t read his posts anymore and that way I don’t allow him to upset me. What DOES upset me is the fact that (about a year and so…) I got in a lot of “beef” with few of you here when you were attacking the kid. Well, now I kick myself in my behind for not minding my own business. He is not worth it. Him and that fellow that went as BBmate,BBnate or somethin’.

70. ChrisHolmes says:

The word many of you are looking for, with regards to Dockett, is “Schadenfreude”.

I’m not a fan of wishing harm on any player.

Unless that player was named Terrell Owens.

71. Southendzone says:

I’m with you on JAX, totally would love to see them have a surprising season. I’ll be rooting for them every week.

I also think that NYG will be crappy as you suggested. I think 3/4 NFC east teams will finish under .500, which is going to PHI a super easy road to the division championship as well as a great shot at a #1 seed.

I saw somewhere that PHI is 8/5 odds to win the NFC East, if I was in Vegas, I’d bet on that for sure.

72. PLUHawkFan says:

@ChrisHolmes

I totally get the frustration and maybe even anger at Yanksters antics and ego. That being said, can you please tone down on the personal attacks? It’s part of the blog rules, and in all honesty is even more offensive then Yanks annoying bloated ego.

Many of us feel the way you do with his antics and posts. We can choose to respond though without personally attacking him. Use facts, stats, etc and show how crazy his posts are. There is absolutely zero reason to call him names though?

#GoHawks

73. freedom_X says:

If all Dockett did was talk, I wouldn’t wish him ill will as far as his injury. But he’s a dirty player and cheap-shot artist who would be OK with injuring other players.

I wouldn’t want a guy like that on my team whatever his ability. Besides any moral implications, players like that foment undisciplined play on the field. Arizona has had a dangerous defense but it also has been inconsistent, and part of that is due to lack of discipline.

I would feel bad if Frank Gore, Larry Fitzgerald, or Robert Quinn getting hurt. My strongest negative reaction would only be relief that we might not have to face them.

But Dockett with his long track record? No tears shed here.

74. PLUHawkFan says:

Quotes for the day for the blog.

“Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.”
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” –Mark Twain

75. ChrisHolmes says:

@PLUHawkFan You may feel I personally attacked him; I do not. I think I used accurate English (and yes, I would consider the use of “blowhard” and “troll” accurate English with regards to his behavior. I look the definition of those words up, and they match the behavior. That’s not name-calling; that’s just being accurately descriptive.)

Regardless, it is not my intent to spend every post discussing him.

I ignored him all last season, and this the last post I’ll make concerning him.

Sometimes a guy reaches his limit. I reached mine; something had to be said.

Now I’ll hibernate on the subject until next off-season…

Back to football. #GoHawks

76. PLUHawkFan says:

@ChrisHolmes

Np, I’ll agree to disagree with you about personally attacking him. Your right I feel you did. Just let it go, don’t let him get under your skin. Otherwise he wins. Many people like that, love getting any kind of reaction from people even if it’s negative. Don’t fall into the trap, don’t take the bait!

I’m glad your going to hibernate this subject, just don’t hibernate fully. I enjoy your posts! *Smile

#GoHawks

77. Hubrismh says:

It doesn’t matter what you think about me, I don’t care, because you’re wrong, and I’m right…
    So eat crow my losers! I predict I will out think all of you all year long because none of you are critical thinkers like I are.
    Smh :)

So now you are telling folks to stop with the personal attacks (because it is blog rules) however in the same post you personally attack Yankinta by saying Yanksters antics & annoying bloated ego.

But you don’t stop there. You devote a whole other post as quote of the day to further insult & personally attack Yankinta.

Great example there PLU of how to do as I say & not as I do.

Lol.

What next PLU?

I better stop before I bring the bbnate420 out of you.

Oops!?

Go Hawks!

79. PLUHawkFan says:

Wait Georgia:

There is a very big difference is saying someone pulls some antics or has a bloated ego. (inflated opinion of self: an exaggerated sense of self-importance and a feeling of superiority to other people). Vs attacking them.

Maybe it’s a fine line but I felt I used proper English as Chris would say *Smile….
    Yanksters posts definitively reflect a bloated ego. IMHO.

I’m not attacking him though, or calling him names. To verbally attack someone is to use your words to abuse someone, insult them, degrade them, etc. I guess some of that lies in intention. I’m definitely not intending to insult or degrade anyone… (who am I to judge anyone? I have my own failures as I’ve adequately demonstrated today…. *sigh)

Failure in all most posts today… I give up :P

I still think there is difference in saying what I did vs….. saying things like Your an idiot if you think that way… or to use an example from above…

Nothing wrong with calling out someone who has lied by pointing out the lie. It’s an entirely different matter though to call someone a Liar and a blowhard. One is pointing out fact, the other is a personal attack meant to degrade and insult. Do you see the difference I’m getting at?

*shrug. If not oh well. I’ll just call my posts a failure all the way around :P

80. BigShermyWorm says:

Leave bbnate420 out of your petty squabbles. He may come back to haunt you!

81. BigShermyWorm says:

“It’s not incredibly insightful to pick a handful of 11+ win teams to regress the next year. Even if you get all 5 of them right, you haven’t done anything special.”

Bubble meet pin.

The thing that is 95% is the percentage of yanker’s posts that are spouting about some prediction or ranking. It’s sad and transparent. I actually think he contributes sometimes and would much more if he reigned in the ego.

82. PLUHawkFan says:

*Grin

Me thinks he already has!! Come to haunt us I mean! LOL

83. Ray_Maines says:

The M’s won tonight. Ain’t that cool!

84. BigShermyWorm says:

I can neither confirm or deny that, PLU. Besides, he added some good information occasionally if you ask me.