Seahawks back on the field to practice for Friday’s third exhibition, home vs. Chicago

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:10 am with 51 Comments »
August 18, 2014 10:10 am

The Seahawks are about to take the fields at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center for practice following two days off. Monday-through-Thursday workouts before Friday night’s full-on, dress-rehearsal exhibition against Chicago at CenturyLink Field.

Max Unger (60) is expected to make his 2014 exhibition-game debut for the Seahawks Friday against Chicago. (AP File Photo)

I’m expecting the starting offensive line to be working together all week: Left tackle Russell Okung, left guard James Carpenter, center Max Unger, right guard J.R. Sweezy and rookie right tackle Justin Britt. Those five have yet to play together through two exhibition games; Unger stayed out of last week’s win over San Diego to be conservative with a groin muscle that had bothered him the previous week.

–In today’s News Tribune I did something dangerous for a sports writer: math.

I broke down some numbers on the penalties NFL officials are calling this month: 9.5 flags against per team per exhibition game, up from 6.1 per team per regular-season game in 2013. The league told us this increase was coming with its “points of emphasis.” What I found more interesting: Seahawks coach Pete Carroll saying he has already been having an open dialogue with the league over a potential self-correction on all these flags in time for the regular season. Let’s hope so.

–I wasn’t the only one thinking about this: The Herald of Everett’s John Boyle also looked at all these flags this month.

–The idea we’ve been debating on here that Carroll will keep three quarterbacks on the regular-season roster, for a change, is gaining bandwagoners.

–Here’s yet another national NFL writer profiling how wowing Percy Harvin has been this preseason.

1. Prediction: The Seahawks again go with two quarterbacks – Wilson and….Pryor!

That extra roster spot is worth more than TJ’s guaranteed salary.
    Both Pryor and TJack are experienced starters and can scramble, hand off to Lynch, and complete bubble screens to Harvin.

So, who gives us the best chance to win?

I think the team rallies behind either one and continues to dominate most teams…so go with youth and upside and use the extra roster spot to keep one of the talented lineman or linebackers we’ll have to otherwise cut.

2. joeradio says:

No way in hell I’d take TP over Tjack. And at $1.5M in salary, that’s nothing compared to other back up QBs. People forget how familiar Tjack is in the system having played under it with Bevell in Minnesota AND what a warrior he was a few years ago playing hurt and still leading us to a 7-7 record. This when Sherman started the season as a second stringer, no B Wags, Bennett, Avril, Maxwell just to name a few.

Tjack is the man for the back up QB job. TP is trade bait at best. Houston Texans should be offering a 5th or better sooner than later and ASAP.

GO HAWKS!

3. Singularitarian says:

Like I’ve been saying all off season. I think they hold 3 qbs. I think they use Jackson to finish games they are dominating. I think they use Pryor a few plays this year as a change of pace, read option qb. I could see this being done in the Green Bay game. Green Bay is notorious for failing to contain the edge against running qbs, and you don’t have to worry about the health of your 3rd string qb. He can go balls out read option with Percy coming around in motion for a SCARY double read, or at least a designed play that looks like read option. Seattle’s version of a wildcat, or the appearance there of. All that speed could really throw GB off their game, even if the plan is to just hand off the ball to Lynch up the middle

4. Singularitarian says:

Just think of the shart you’d take in your pants as a defense when it’s 2nd and 6 and Wilson unexpectedly comes off the field and Pryor comes in. Percy goes in motion and the ball is hiked for a double read with that much speed against that kind of a homerun threat qb, which you haven’t game planned for nor even seen film of

5. montanamike2 says:

I’m on the record for calling 3 QB’s with BJ either stashed or released.

Some people forget how incompetent Tjack is in the 4th quarter.

7. I still think Pryor as 3rd qb could be a great punt returner.

Flee Flicker, thanks for stopping by at the CLink! That was fun to meet a blog buddy. How come you didn’t introduce the pretty lady?

8. Singularitarian says:

Or Percy in pro set (double back set)

The flags this whole preseason, league wide, have been simply awful. Not only do unnecessary flags have an unfair influence on the outcomes, they disrupt the flow of the games, making some of them nearly unwatchable, but extend game times far beyond a reasonable measure. Get your stripes under control Sherriff.

10. Carlsonkid says:

My guess is probably what most folks are thinking ; they keep 3 , & T-Jack is first off the bench when Russell comes out .

Pryor throws the football like he’s aiming a dart – his release looks really unnatural . I noticed it at training camp also . The kid has all the physical tools you could hope for at QB but needs some one-on-one time with a QB guru to work on his release and throwing motion . I wonder what Jon Gruden is doing post-season ? LOL ..

11. joeradio says:

All right GeorgiaHawk, I’ll bite…can you please explain or provide proof about your Tjack claim regarding him collapsing in the 4th quarters?

The Professor always talks about how you’d like to get be able to win 2-3 games with a good back up QB and I agree. I think he definitely gives us the best chance.

TP would be fine if we didn’t have Tjack, but no way would I prefer him.

12. ChrisHolmes says:

I have to wonder if some QB needy teams (Texans, SF Backup Job, Tampa, Oakland) aren’t going to be calling to make a trade with Seattle or New England in coming days. I mean… if I’m Bill O’Brien I am making a trade yesterday for Mallet or calling Seattle about Pryor. Because those guys do not have a QB… And Oakland just watched their draft pick go down, and Matt Schaub still looks like a shell of his former self.

13. Yeah…our Rocket Package!

Harvin, Richardson, Ricardo Lockette, Christine Michael, Pryor, Luke Willson…have Turbin play fb…

14. TallyHawk says:

Please let the Niners or anybody else for that matter grab BJ Daniels when he gets cut.

Does anybody know when Aldon Smiths suspension is going to be announced? Surely he’s not going to start the season playing, is he? I don’t understand how they’ve punished, if you want to call it punishment, Ray Rice but not Smith.

15. The most interesting part of that Times link was the pic of two women kissing.. 3 comments on that topic.. smh.

I don’t have an opinion on which backup QB to keep but I’d like to point out that Petey did the same thing to Tjack in 2012 when there was a 3 way competition to start.. TJ never played in preseason and they released him. Deja Vu this season?

16. It’s nice the NFL admitted they blew the call that negated the INT return for a TD, but it’s scary that the head of officials says they are not going to stop calling it close during the regular season.

The rules allow for contact after 5 yards, as long as it’s not grabbing or holding or impeding someone’s progress. Considering the offensive records that were set last season, there is no reason to help offenses with this new “emphasis”.

The NFL markets itself through it’s “star” players, and of course the biggest stars are the QB’s. They just want the QB’s to dominate games even more, apparently.

17. Why are people down on B.J.?

18. TallyHawk says:

I don’t know about everyone else but I don’t think he’s good enough to play in the league.

Joeradio,

Eric gave us some end of the half & end of the game qb ratings & Tjack was horrible.

Of course we didn’t need the stats, just simply watching him play one could tell he was a standard drive qb only & couldn’t drive clutch if his life depended on it.

However perhaps there is a sliver of hope for Jackson if any part of Wilson’s clutch gene has rubbed off on him.

I could be wrong but I think I’m right & I know I’m crazy.

20. MikeFromNewJersey says:

For S and giggles here is my 53

QB(2)- Russell, TJack
    RB(4)- Beast, Turbo, Michael, Coleman
    WR(6)-Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson, Norwood, Walters
    TE(3)- Miller, Willson, Helfet
    OL(10)- Okung, Carp, Unger, Sweezy, Britt, Bailey, Lem, Gilliam, Schilling, Winston

DL(10)- Bennett, MeBane, McDaniel, Avril, Kevin Williams, Scruggs, J Hill, Marsh, Schofield, Mayowa
    LB(6) -Wagner, Wright, M.Smith, Morgan, Coyle, Pierre-Louis
    DB(9) Sherm, Max, Earl, Kam, Lane, Jeron, Shead, Simon, Adams

Secial Teams(3) Haush, Ryan, Gresham

PUP List – Bruce Irvin and K Toomer

21. chuck_easton says:

Who’s down on B.J. Daniels? It’s just simple math. He’s the 4th QB on a team that usually only keeps 2 and may just MIGHT have to keep three this year.

Even with this new math they are teaching in school 4 does not go into 3( or 2). Daniels is just caught in a numbers crunch. It’s either he gets claimed off of waivers or he can possibly spend another year on the PS.

22. I thought B.J. looked good Friday night and he’s only 24 compared to 31 for TJack. Teams normally like backup players who’s careers are on the way up rather than on the way down. If they think Pryor could work as #2 than why not cut TJack and either keep B.J. as #3 or see if they can get him onto the practice squad.

23. To correct myself earlier, I think TJ was traded to the Bills not cut..

Here’s Sherm with Mama Sherm in a new Chunky Soup ad.

24. jchawks08 says:

Well, I guess I’m one of the few left in the T-Jack camp. Sorry, give me a 31 year old proven veteran QB who knows the system inside and out over a couple of rambuntious youngsters any day of the week. I do like Pryor over Daniels, and it ain’t even close.

25. DanielleMND says:

If Wilson was injured, I’d have more faith in Jackson than in Pryor. Jackson knows the offense, he’s respected in the locker room, and he’s experienced.

26. jawpeace says:

MikefromNJ, your list is almost identical to mine. Though I have not decided on the final WR spot. Locket, Walters or Bates. And I am not set on the last DB spot yet.

If we can get BJ to the practice squad there he will go.

As I mentioned if they are going to continue with the garbage calls on illegal contact. The NFL needs to change it from 5 and an automatic first to 5 and replay the down.

27. abqhwkfn says:

Givin the current history of the OL I believe Pryor is the better option for QB2. TJ has not been good when under pressure.

28. juliusvrooder says:

I find this Pryor thing interesting. His skill-set, particularly on the run, is a good fit with Kaep’s. I wonder to what extent is his value to us simply keeping him off the Whiner roster. Imagine a concussion or minor ankle sprain to CK: That could be the difference in home field advantage with Gabbert under center.

If we can trade Pryor to someone else, we may want to, but I would like to hear your thoughts on the value of keeping him away from the Great Satan. Worth losing T-Jack?

29. chuck_easton says:

I still say the team keeps 3 QB’s. TJack has guaranteed money. He is proven in this offense. Pryor has a world of potential. He would be scooped up if the team tried to cut him.

I don’t see anyone trading for TJack similar to what happened in 2012. I also don’t think the team would just cut TJack and eat that guaranteed money. If he’s going to be paid he might as well be in uniform every Sunday.

If there was a trade at all I could see a team going for Pryor, but I don’t see Seattle wanting to let him go.

What exactly has TJack proven?

How many 4th qtr comebacks does he have in his career?

I think most of the players he had respect from in the locker room are gone.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next two games.

31. Southendzone says:

Originally I thought Hawks would go with only 2 QBs. I’m having my doubts now.

If you’re a team with a great young QB that you love, seems like you want your backup to be a solid guy who can come in and execute with few mistakes.

You don’t want a guy with massive potential who maybe doesn’t have the ability to execute your offense.

To me, TP is a great backup QB for a different team, a team that has a shaky QB situation and doesn’t know what the future is there (no shortage of teams like this).

Only if TP shows great poise & execution in the passing game in the next 2 preseason games, do I think he wins the job outright as our backup QB. Otherwise it will be 3 QBs, or just TJ.

32. The hard thing with Pryor / Tjack – Pryor only has one year left on contract – could EASILY walk at the end of the season

Tjack is getting older for the not OLD but older – where is the future if needed?

33. freedom_X says:

So what exactly has Terrell Pryor proven? Jackson has shown he is weak in the 4th quarter? Versus Pryor who has shown he is weak in all four quarters? Pryor’s not a rookie, you know. There is a track record.

The backup QB had better be able to throw and avoid turnovers. If you just want 6’5″ and 4.4 speed at QB, go sign Jordan Kent and convert him to QB.

Before even entertaining the though of Pryor supplanting Tarvaris Jackson, Pryor has to show in the last two games that he can throw the ball. Even if it’s not pretty, he has to deliver the ball and not make mistakes.

34. wazzulander says:

Pryor was a starter last year and he was not very good, that is why we got him for nothing. The fact that he is having a good pre-season is great for his long term prospects but I doubt PC/JS or any other front office in the league would feel confident with him under center in the regular season so I think he makes the team as the third QB and T-Jack stays one more year.

I’m not sure if the niners are going to go after B.J. but they will definitely be going after a new backup QB. Blaine Gabbert has been, well, he’s been Blaine Gabbert…

“So what has Pryor proven?”

Exactly!

About the same as Jackson has proven except he is several years younger, several inches taller & several tenths of a second faster.

So which one do they keep if they keep two qbs?

Answer- Pryor.

36. A key to the problem is that Pryor seems to want to be a starter. Even if he were to spend a year as Wilson’s backup, he would want to start in 2015. He is a free agent after the season, and will likely move on unless Wilson has something terrible happen.

My scenario, is that this preseason is a showcase of what Pryor can be, given proper direction. He then can be traded for something more than the 7th pick we gave for him. That is a win. Otherwise, we keep 3. We still may be able to trade him later, before he becomes a free agent, so that we can keep him from SF or someone else.

If the comparison is between Jackson the passer and Pryor the passer, there’s no debate: Jackson. But of course Carroll doesn’t necessarily think that way. He has proven time and again he favors the athlete and this is where Pryor has the advantage. The only question, as I see it, is who does he trust more to lead this team should Wilson go down.

As far as Daniels goes, hopefully they let him throw it more this Friday.

38. Geez Georgia. You have proven once again that when you latch onto a player you like you go out of your way to bash that player’s competition. You prove you know nothing about player evaluation just who’s your favor of the week. Pryor is not all that great. Besides a 40 yd TD against a very sub standard defense he has shown me nothing to be excited about. Oh well, to each their own. I guess that’s why we’re fans not GM’s…..anyways..

39. Plus T-Jack does have Superbowl experience now…..can’t leave that out. Haha!

40. jawpeace says:

All this talk of trading back up QB’s at the end of roster cuts is rubbish. Sure it was done with T.Jack a couple of years ago. But look what happened, he sat on the bench for the Bills. Joining a team at the end of August they realistically don’t have a chance to learn the play book, new offense, develop timing with the WR and can’t contribute at a NFL level for quite a while. Look last season Vikings desperate traded for Tampa’s former starter. They actually started him a week later and it was awful. Then he sat on the bench the rest of the way and they went with Ponder. Any good GM is going to recognize this and not give up good draft picks. Maybe some GM thinks he can change the obvious but I think the best the Hawks could hope for is to regroup their seventh round.

Thanks for the cheap shot Floyd.

Is that how you usually respond when you disagree?

Can you show us some evaluation with regards to Jackson/Pryor?

BTW what part of what I said about Jackson is bashing?

I haven’t said anything much different about him than I said in the past.
    And if you payed much attention you would see I don’t pick a favor of the week.

Ridic-you-lous!

42. freedom_X says:

Tarvaris Jackson in 17-17 as a starter in the NFL I believe. Pryor is 2-4.

Pryor’s career QB rating is 69.3. Jackson is 78.5.

Jackson has proven he can be at least a .500 QB in the NFL. Pryor is still unproven in my view.

A team with Super Bowl repeat aspirations can’t afford to take a chance developing a project in the regular season if Russell Wilson is lost for a substantial period of time.

If the team really believes in Pryor, then they’ll keep 3 QB’s.

All our backup qbs are projects if it means leading the Seahawks to another Super Bowl win.

At least Pryor has a window to develop.
    A huge window!
    Jackson’s window appears to be closing.

How many playoff wins does Jackson have again?

How many come from behind wins does he have?

What’s his 4th quarter rating?

Pryor played for the Raiders where even average qbs play bad.

Just look what happened to Flynn there.

Imagine how much worse Jackson’s stats would be if he had played for the Raiders.

44. MoSeahawk12 says:

It’s was preseason, but Jackson looked great last year and lit it up when he played. He was going against the second and third string D, but seemed to be playing much more confidently and in charge. I think having Wilson around was a good thing for him. He looked like a different player than the version we had the first time around. Now, I was one that was glad to see him gone as he choked too many times late in games and cost us wins late in the season, including a very winnable game against the 9ers where he fumbled away the game when we were in scoring range. However, he was playing with a torn Pec that season and it’s not like the team was as good as they are now. Since he has returned, he seems like a totally different player. I for one would be comfortable with him playing if Wilson had to miss a few games. I also believe Pryor could fill in, but I think teams could get to him easier as he’s new to Bevel’s system and won’t be deeply versed for awhile. Not on the level that Jackson is.

At least we would win games if either of our back up QBs have to play. Much better situation than say the 9ers and the awful backups they have there. Most teams don’t have very good backups, I think we have one of the best situation in the entire league.

45. DanielleMND says:

“What exactly has TJack proven?”

7-7 as a starter for us in 2011, despite playing injured and having the defense choke late in a couple of games.

He proved he could get himself foolishly injured.

47. DanielleMND says:

With this O-line, any QB is taking a risk.

48. GeorgaaHawk says:

I like to fart.

Go watch the play that Jackson got injured on Danielle & you will see it had nothing to do with the o-line.

He simply wasn’t thinking on his feet.

50. DanielleMND says:

Perhaps, but I still think T-Jack’s the proven commodity for a backup. Maybe Pryor can be the #2 in 2015, but right now, it seems his most impressive plays come from his legs and not his arm.