“Turbo” Robert Turbin’s boost; Paul Richardson’s quick learning; Pete Carroll talking to NFL about officiating “points of emphasis”

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 16, 2014 at 11:53 am with 44 Comments »
August 16, 2014 1:12 pm

Russell Wilson’s training-camp roommate took a huge step last night — 81 yards worth of steps in less than one half, in fact — toward becoming the Seahawks’ first option at running back behind Marshawn Lynch. But as you can see and hear above, Robert Turbin wasn’t about to claim any ground in the competition with Christine Michael to be the No. 2 runner.

As I noted here late last night/early this morning, coach Pete Carroll made it clear he doesn’t like Michael’s two fumbles in eight carries over two exhibition games. And Turbin, the third-year man out of Utah State, is in the best shape of his life. He got his knee “cleaned up,” in the words of Carroll, this offseason. And at a listed 5 feet 10 and 222 pounds he looks bigger, yet leaner.

My colleague Dave Boling wrote in today’s News Tribune that the Seahawks don’t call Turbin “Turbo” for nothing. Boling floats the idea that Turbin could possibly be Lynch’s replacement someday.

Turbin’s 47-yard run in the first quarter that got Seattle from its own 7 out to midfield was almost all him. Turbin made a quick, one-step cut behind the line from the left to the right. That allowed him to take advantage of a big, crash-down block by rookie right tackle Justin Britt, who blew his man from one hashmark to the other. Then tight end Zach Miller had a subtle peel-back block on a linebacker to spring Turbin. The running back then delighted Carroll by throwing out a thudding stiff arm into the chest of Charger Marcus Gilchrist, carrying the safety with him for the final 10 yards of his run.

“I love the finish,” Carroll said. “I’ve been trying to get Turbin to straight-arm somebody since he got here. … He finally used one, in big fashion. I was really fired up for him.

“It was a hell of a play.”

And a hell of a way to seize the No. 2 running-back job.

–Here is my game story for today’s News Tribune. In it, I mentioned one play in particular from last night the Seahawks are going to run in the real game at San Diego next month.

First and 10 from the San Diego 48, in the second quarter against the Chargers’ starting defense. Shotgun formation, with Percy Harvin in the slot left and Zach Miller tight on left end. Russell Wilson’s play-action fake to Robert Turbin inside drew Chargers linebacker (and former Washington Husky) Donald Butler 4 yards toward the line of scrimmage. Harvin’s “go” route down the left seam drew Jaheel Addae out of the middle, because . Miller ran — OK, more like lumbered — past Butler and into the area Addae should have been, but the safety was preoccupied with Harvin and his speed outside. The result was a 37-yard catch and carry that would have been a 39-yard touchdown if Miller had any more speed.

–Wilson’s elusiveness was again the difference between a touchdown or a field goal on the starting offense’s final drive, in the second quarter. On third and 8 from the San Diego 37, the Chargers sent a corner and linebacker blitzing off Seattle’s left end. Both ran in unblocked on Wilson’s backside. The quarterback didn’t see them as much as he felt the two blitzers. He ran a few steps away from them to his right. That was the two seconds he needed to find backup tight end Luke Willson wide open in the right flat for 18 yards. Instead of a 55-yard field goal try on fourth down by Steven Hauschka, the Seahawks get a first down at the San Diego 19 — then score a touchdown on another improv play by Wilson, his 5-yard touchdown run up the middle when he avoided another would-be sack with Chargers closing in on him from both sides.

–Last week in the visitor’s locker room at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, after Denver reporters got done cooing over former University of Colorado Buffalo wide receiver Paul Richardson’s four catches for 37 yards in his first NFL “game,” I walked up to the rookie second-round pick and asked what he felt about his debut. He said he was unhappy that he blew some blocking assignments outside. He said he erred by not ensuring he heard the entire play call in the huddle or at the line; the last part of play calls often include the assigned blocking patterns. He knew his coaches would ding him for that.

Last night, Richardson showed he’s a quick learner. On Terrell Pryor’s 44-yard bootleg sprint around left end for a touchdown early in the fourth quarter, Richardson blocked San Diego cornerback Chris Davis. It wasn’t a crunching one, but the 183-pound (maybe, in full pads) Richardson got in Davis’ way long enough to spring Pryor with the only help he needed to give the Seahawks a 34-14 lead.

“I wouldn’t have gotten that touchdown without Paul Richardson,” Pryor, the former Oakland Raiders starter until last season, said, showing his leadership qualities.

It will further impress his coaches that Richardson’s block came after the wide receiver had just sprinted 40-plus yards downfield on the play before, trying to catch a long ball from Pryor that got broken up.

–Cooper Helfet came back down to earth after a meteoric week in which he excelled in Denver and then got high praise during the subsequent practice days for having the lead in the competition to be the No. 3 tight end. Helfet dropped Pryor’s best pass in two games, on a third and 3 in the third quarter. Pryor rolled left away from pressure and instead of running as he could have — and did last week in Denver — the quarterback did what offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell had said he wanted to see more of this week. Pryor kept his eyes focused downfield on secondary receivers during his scramble and find Helfet at the sidelines near the Chargers 25. The pass was on the tight end’s hands at the sideline, then clanged off them. Instead of a possible touchdown drive, the Seahawks settled for Steven Hauschka’s 55-yard field goal and a 27-7 lead.

Helfet also had a false-start penalty to start that drive, one of Seattle’s eight penalties for 48 yards.

–The Seahawks have 21 penalties accepted against them in two exhibitions. Seven of those flags have involved the NFL’s points of emphasis in officiating for this season: Illegal contact by defensive backs, taunting and cussing at opponents following plays, and hands to the face of foes. Last night, Jeremy Lane got a hands-to-the-face foul — while covering a kickoff. (Lane, who has had a great preseason as nickel back, has been flagged for three fouls in two exhibitions).

Two examples of over-emphasis of the illegal-contact foul came on two calls in a three-play span in the third quarter last night.

Phillip Adams got called for illegal contact yards downfield from where San Diego’s pass to David Johnson fell incomplete. Adams was guarding a Charger wide receiver running a clear-out route for the tight end; his contact had no affect on the pass that went in a different direction.

Two plays later Tharold Simon had his 103-yard interception return for a touchdown nullified by the side judge. Simon’s contact — a hand onto the chest of San Diego’s Dontrelle Inman — came at the 2, 4 yards off the line and within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Thus, by rule it was legal. There was no contact after that or while the ball was in flight, or else the foul called would have been pass interference.

By the way, that pass-interference foul called on San Diego’s Brandon Flowers against Doug Baldwin in the end zone on Seattle’s first drive was not a penalty, either. Flowers absorbed contact from Baldwin while Wilson’s pass was in flight; the defender didn’t make any contact.

The officials were so eager to call that illegal-contact foul that referee Peter Morelli overruled one such flag in the third quarter because Kellen Clemens had scrambled out of the pocket, voiding the illegal-contact downfield prohibition.

Of the Simon-TD-return-that-wasn’t play, safety Earl Thomas told the Seahawks’ television network during last night’s broadcast: ”That was a great play. I think Coach Carroll is going to do a great job of turning that into the league and seeing if it was right.”

Carroll says the league has been open with coaches discussing this new emphasis that is making what is already the toughest task in the NFL — legally defending a wide receiver in this pass-happy, heavily legislated league. The coach hopes this open dialogue will lead to an adjustment in how this particular rule is called in the regular season.

“I hope that the league office will be open to the conversation. They already are, and I’ve already heard from them,” Carroll said. “They’re open to the conversation about how it’s going.

“It doesn’t seem quite right. It seems like there are too many calls being made and too many incidental calls that seem to be affecting the game. So, we’ll see. … It’s obviously different. So, the question is: Is it better? I don’t know. Hopefully, we will have a good conversation about it.”

Simon acquitted himself well following last week’s ejection in Denver. The second-year cornerback from LSU who missed all of last year with foot injuries also broke up another potential touchdown earlier in the third quarter. He had great, inside position on Inman then leaped to break up Clemens’ deep pass to him in the end zone midway through the third quarter — though Simon really should have intercepted that; it clanged off both hands while he was in the air.

Richard Sherman, always involved in all aspects of his team, came over to Simon the sideline during a Chargers timeout immediately following that play. Sherman seemed to be half praising Simon for being in the right place to prevent the touchdown — and half scolding him for not securing the interception.

“Yeah,” Simon said, “they gave me a hard time on the sideline.”

–Funny audio I heard over the TV broadcast while re-watching the game this morning: Baldwin joshing with an official along the Seahawks sideline after he got walloped in the back on a vicious hit by San Diego safety Darrell Stuckey, preventing Baldwin’s second, left foot from getting down inbounds to complete a 13-yard touchdown pass from Wilson in the second quarter: C’mon, man! I got the (crap) kicked out of me.”

Great additions to last night’s game, Gregg. Thanks

2. Screensmoke says:

Now maybe people might understand why u thought Todd sucked !Nice to have a squared away writer in the house!

3. SandpointHawk says:

Agree, Gregg is the man. Great stuff Gregg…

4. DanielleMND says:

The refs are so flag happy about the new points of emphasis that they don’t even care if they get the calls right.

5. Southendzone says:

Blog posts have been really good lately, but remember this:

Todd was the first and only TNT beat writer to guide the Hawks to a superbowl win!

6. emperorzook says:

Hey Gregg, if you are going to show videos in playlist make separate playlist for the blog, there is most likely things in the current playlist not for the blog

Lol.

Good one Southendzone.

Todd is a very good writer.

I think he tried to kiss up to us old farts at first but finally got tired of it & lost interest.

8. PLUHawkFan says:

*Annoyed! I swear the NFL is still trying their best to stifle the Hawks whenever and however they can. *Note the LOB Rule, as exhibit 1. Exhibit 2. Watching NFL games on NFL preseason live I’ve noticed that the “home” team is who the broadcasting team for that game is whats being shown. The one exception I’ve found so far. The Hawks of course. Re-watched the game today after watching game live last night on Q-13 and NFL Network used the Chargers broadcasting team in the game. (Who were more biased even then some others).

Exhibit 3. The call last night on Illegal hands that brought the negated our Pick 6. I rewatched it 3 times Simon only put his hands on the receiver within the first 2-3yards (perfectly legal) Didn’t lay a finger on him after that point, yet it this stupid LOB rule was called costing us a TD.

I know we smoked SD and that TD meant little, and maybe i’m being a homer. But I really do think that the NFL is almost upset that we won the Superbowl, and are trying to make it harder. I even question our schedule, especially when compared to some other playoff teams. Even Bronco’s.

Again I say *Annoyed….. /rant off

9. PLUHawkFan says:

I distinctly remember the look on Rodger Goodells face during the super bowl. He looked VERY unhappy… *sigh

10. He bet heavily on the Broncos. ;)

11. Ray_Maines says:

After having watched the play a dozen times or more, I’m willing to concede the 7 yard thing, but not anything about pass interference or illegal-contact. I still think the call was total BS.

12. trout_hound says:

Had to watch it today, due to the “in area blackout” from NFL Network, because its just a hop skip and a jump to the Clink from Whitefish, Montana. Impressed with our offense and defense. RW looks in the zone this year. I feel bad for BJ, the guy is basically showcasing for other teams. He’s got some talent. If we are going to keep TJack, I hope he gets some more reps just in case the unthinkable happens. Definitely don’t want to see Earl returning punts. Is it true Walters led the Ivy league in return yards? He looks fast and decisive. While I was impressed with Turbo, I think Michaels has some special abilities. He’s slippery in traffic. Most backs would have fumbled on that hit, but he needs to use two hands.It was an entertaining game. Is it me, or does Brock get annoying after a while? Finally, while preseason has its merits, the regular season can’t get here fast enough.

13. oldtallguy says:

Why do we continually want to bash Todd? He’s gone, gone gone. Greg’s off to a good start, but watch out if he doesn’t cuddle up and kiss certain bloggers asses.

14. PLUHawkFan says:

@oldtallguy

I /agree with you that it’s pretty pointless for some to still be bashing Todd. I’ll disagree with your prediction about him falling out of favor if he doesn’t cater to certain bloggers.

He’s a good writer, is engaged and keeps us up to date. I think we could all disagree with him on points and still appreciate what he brings to the paper and the blog. Even some of the more finicky bloggers that post here.

Gregg has brought a breath of fresh air to the blog and speaking for myself at least I GREATLY appreciate his work. None of us should take things for granted.

PLUHawkFan,
    are you natedog,bbnate420 or bbmate?

You sound very similar to him.

I don’t mean to blow your cover so don’t respond to me if you think TNT will block you.

Anyways if you are not my apologies.

If you are & you can respond how have you been?

16. PLUHawkFan says:

No Georgia I”m not.

I’ve wandered what happened to him as well, I know he was trying different handles but I’m just me. ;)

17. Ya i havn’t said it, but Greg you are awesome. Great addition, with tons of great content. Keep it up, we live for this blog :)

18. I personally though Todd was ok, but I think you are doing a great job Gregg. Appreciate all the insight you bring from your articles and post game reaction.

I was looking up the Hawk’s preseason record to see how they did in 2010 and 2011 because of all the mentions last week about the 9 straight wins before Denver. It turns out they were 1-3 in 2010 and 2-2 in 2011, winning the last preseason game in 2011 plus all 4 in 2012 and 2013 to start that 9 game win streak.

That got me thinking to the Beast quake game and how I wondered the week before as Charlie Whitehurst started against the Rams if a win would even be good for the franchise. It set us back a bit lower in the 1st round in the draft as NFC W champs and a little tougher schedule the next year.

However, the winning culture we started with that playoff win in 2010 obviously played a part in our playoff run the last couple years. Look where Seattle and St Louis are at right now. Each team had a chance to be division champ in 2010. One is an established contender and defending Super Bowl champ, while the other team is still just the bottom feeder with “potential” that may or may not be realized.

In retrospect “always competing” and trying to win each and every chance you get paid off. I wonder if Indy’s “Suck for Luck” strategy will ever come back and haunt them in the future, if they tanked the 2011 season intentionally like many believe they did.

19. MoSeahawk12 says:

CCVI that is one of those little nuggets that the “analysts” miss. Let’s go back four short years. This team was a mess and as fans we had nothing to tune in for. Holmgren’s rep was past expiration date, wonder kid Mora was a complete flop with the players and fans and then we we’re sold this USC coach that had two failed NFL stops. Fast forward to the entire house cleaning and the success that arrived much sooner than anyone could have expected and now, we get to live as Superbowl champs for the entire season. The Rams may have a stupid number of picks from the RG3 deal, but we have John and Pete and they have built a dynamic team that could play in any era, compete in all areas and sustain success. This team is the real deal. As Seahawk’s fans, we’ve never experienced this level of success or dominance. The Rams had theirs. It ended with Faulk and Warner playing video game football. The living version of the Seahawks is the most dominate, dangerous version of Seahawks football that any of us have ever seen. We are all lifted to greater heights as a by product. The Rams only have their past and that always fades.

20. seahawkfan97 says:

I too am tired of reading about how bad Todd was…Anyone who has a different job offer waiting in the wings and reads everyday how much better they could be doing for the blog should lose interest…Gregg is good that is for sure, but one thing I miss is the transcripts written out. I have trouble hearing most questions in the videos and some of the answers…Gregg can you add that into your repertoire. And if you have that auto type from recordings that would be great as I don’t care if there is a missed word or two…Who cares if a word is spelled wrong or a comma missed. I know you are busy and a link to the transcript not proofread would be just fine…And as was said before, great work on here…..Oh and thanks to those that supported the 1967 Mustang raffle last month as it raised a bunch of money for abused kids down here in the mid Columbia gorge… A man from Brush Prairie bought one ticket at the function and won the car..
    Go Hawks…

Look who gets PFF game ball.

Also more on the great Simon play that was taken away from him-

Also (about Carpenter) he looks much better with the weight loss & could be a beast this year in the run game.

I don’t expect him to ever be above average in pass protection like I expect Sweezy to be but the team can scheme around that.

Having a run blocker like Carp who can now move a bit better & finish a game will be huge for our run game moving forward.

Carp & Sweezy I believe will be the best run blocking set of guards in the NFL this season.

Anything over average at pass blocking from those two will just be an added bonus imo.

23. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Paul Richardson should be our punt returner……

24. oldtallguy says:

moSeahawk12, your comment was a great read.

25. Hammajamma says:

Met a guy at a gathering last night here in Colorado who used work in the Cowboy organization. Heard a few stories I’m not supposed to repeat, but we had an interesting conversation about Jerry Jones’ competence as a GM.

It’s cool to contrast JS with Jones: young GM in his first stint completely out shining one of the richest men in sports. Demonstrates the value of a coherent philosophy and plan, great scouting and a feel for developing players with special skill sets, and a partnership with a coach who has as much or more organizational power as the GM.

As much as teams would like to copy Seattle’s success, they won’t be able to until they understands where it starts.

26. I think there will be a few more surprise cuts when we go to 53. Keep in mind, John will be scouring the other teams cuts for O-line help as they want to protect our MVQB (RW) better. This is the area even positive Pete is calling out. I don’t think it will be hard to upgrade Bailey, Jeanpierre, or Hauptmann. Pete’s getting a good look at Schilling.

27. MikeFromNewJersey says:

@Jusjamn – Agreed

28. Southendzone says:

The only thing that won’t be a surprise after the 53 man cuts:

The jack-ass 49er’s picking up 90% of our cast-offs, because we own a permanent residence inside their head.

29. Ray_Maines says:

I had almost put Jim Morra completely out of my memory. What a contrast between the defensive backs then and now. I’m thinking Kelly Jennings & Josh Wilson wouldn’t really fit in with the LOB.

30. sluggo42 says:

RW doesn’t call up a huddle, the huddle just forms around him……

RW doesn’t throw a pass, the ball flies on it’s own in gratitude of being in his hand…..

RW doesn’t look defensive backs off, they do it willingly….

When RW studies film, the owner brings him buttered popcorn…

RW is, the worlds most interesting QB.

31. MadSweeney42 says:

It’s not a conspiracy against the Hawks. The league is not against us. Every year there are new points of emphasis, and every year there are more flags in the preseason than in the regular season. They’ll go through the penalties and figure out which ones were and which ones aren’t actual penalties in the new emphasis. Yeah, it was a bad call, which is different from every game for every team exactly how? If anything, the new emphasis proves the point of many that what the Seahawks DBs do is almost entirely within the rules being that with all the extra flags being thrown, the Hawks have only had 2 total between a scrimmage and two preseason games. Two, for the team that inspired the new emphasis. Two, one of which was just an overreaction by a preseason ref. Do we even know if he’s a regular ref or a trainee?

This should be the greatest offseason and preseason in a long suffering Seahawks fanbase’s history, but I swear there are so many who want to whine and complain and see conspiracy and dig every single possible insult out of nothing. It’s embarrassing and anyone who engages in it should seriously rethink ever making a dig at Harbaugh’s crybaby antics, because that’s EXACTLY WHAT YOU’RE DOING! The last offseason after a SB was a good breeding ground for conspiracy theories, this one shouldn’t be.

32. Soggybuc says:

Excellent comment MoSeahawk12! I concur completely! But Sluggo gets bonus points for Barrens chat. =)

33. PLUHawkFan says:

MadSweeney

I wasn’t being a conspiracy theorist. I said it above and and I’ll say it again, “Maybe I’m being a homer!” With that said, I’ve seen things done by the NFL that do seem to be directed or at least inspired as you put it to attempting to keep the Seahawks down.

The LOB rule is only one example. Mostly what I was talking about though was other example’s of minimizing the Seahawks in the general League sense. Example: I watch NFL Network fairly often (Not great but better then ESPN in my opinion) Despite our Success last season the Seahawks were rarely talked about or featured on the Network. Except when we played someone higher profile i.e.: SF.

Granted not all analysts work for NFL network (But many who i’ve watched do) and all I ever heard most of them say was negatives about PC and the hawks. And they NEVER recant on their statements (I know I know almost nobody does) I’m just saying.

NFL networks rebroadcasts of preseason games. Almost every single one I’ve watched, the broadcasting team used or displayed was for the “home” team. i.e.: Ravens @ cowboys. Cowboys home broadcast team was used. The only one I’ve seen so far that breaks this pattern? Yep you guessed it, SanDiego @Seahawks. NFL network rebroadcast that using SanDiegos home broadcasting team. Now, I know all home broadcasting teams tend to be biased to their team, but if you listen to this game it was almost sickening how biased they were for the game. (Annoying, but i know it’s not a big deal) I’m just using this as example.

I can give many any examples as well, and other small market teams might have the same biased since I don’t follow all of them I can’t say. I can say what I see with Hawks though. The last example I gave was the SuperBowl itself, a big huge stupid idiotic deal was made about Shermans Rants, but little was talked about, the team. And EVERYONE was basically saying that Broncos would destroy us. Then you see pictures during the game of Rodger Goodell in the stands and he looked absolutely pissed off that the game was going direction it was.

Then to add insult to injury many said what a “Terrible Game it was” after our win, because it was a blowout. AGAIN, maybe I’m just a HOMER and if you want to tag me with that title, i can live with that. Conspiracy Nut though? NO, i think not.

Just my humble opinion on what I see Nationally and from the NFL itself.

34. Southendzone says:

If so much power wasn’t consolidated with Goodell these kind of conspiracy theories wouldn’t flourish to the same extent.

He wants unquestionable power to deal with player behavior. His rulings are nearly un-appealable. Insights into his decision process are non-existent.

Now consider these events:

1) For 3 years talk of how the Hawks are changing the way pass defense is played with big physical corners
    2) Statistically a massively dominant defense last season
    3) Sherm breaks through and somehow beats the NFL on a PED suspension
    4) Hawks put a sick ass-whipping on 2 of the biggest golden boys in NFL history, Elway & Manning

Now it’s time to emphasize illegal contact all of a sudden. OK, great.

Anyone remember the last time this happened? When New England was roughing up poor baby Peyton’s WRs back around 2006. What other steps do we have to take to ensure that Manning will have a good season?

I’m more with PLU than Mad on this one.

Most everyone knows this is the LOB rule enforcement. It’s just that the LOB is one step ahead of the game.

And yes I can also have a great off season knowing that no matter what the NFL tries to throw at these Seahawks it just won’t work.

Embarrassed? No.

Proud? Yes!

Go Hawks!!!

36. MadSweeney42 says:

PLU, you could’ve stopped in paragraph 1 at Maybe I’m a homer. Definitely, yes and that’s completely colored your experience. Preseason is, once again, preseason. Period. Local broadcasters and local crews do the games for the most part. By and large these people suck, oh and they’re LOCAL TEAM AFFILIATED BROADCASTERS! It’s not their job to be objective, these are not national game crews, they’re LOCAL TEAM AFFILIATED BROADCASTERS. Only one at a time is broadcast live and there are broadcast contracts for coverage that have nothing to do with Goodell’s conspiracy against the Hawks. They rebroadcast the Hawks game 12 hours later using the other broadcast team. IT’S PRESEASON!!!!

The LoB rule is the same thing they did 10 or so years ago specifically, plus every single year they re-emphasize a variety of rules after a trend of officiating slipping not to mention the fact that they’ve consistently made things easier for the offense, even when the Seahawks D was garbage. This is nothing out of the norm. So, they’re going to try and neutralize the Seahawks D by cracking down on a rule and then call it on the only twice in 2.5 games?! And one of those will absolutely be one that in reviewing how the preseason went, the officiating crews will be told not to flag. That doesn’t make a lick of sense based on een a cursory examination of actual occurrences. Massive homer glasses.

As for who says what on networks, I see Seahawks all the time on shows. Remember that there are also 31 other teams to cover, so if they get more than 3% of the coverage, then they’re getting more coverage than average. Are you going to seriously try to make the argument that the SB champions with Lynch and Sherman are getting less than 3% of the coverage? Absurdly gargantuan homer glasses.

Southend- yeah, it’s cyclical. Hilarious that you use an extremely rare appeal win somehow as a negative to reinforce your homer induced conspiracy. Eight years later, the emphasis needs to be recharged. Saying it’s an anti-Seahawk issue is silly. It isn’t anti-Seahawk any more than the new no-cutting rule or the Navarro Bowman rule are anti-Seahawk even though the tipping point plays that got them passed were Seattle plays.

Goodell sucks. Worst commissioner ever. He’s consistently emphasizing offense and the number of anti-defense rules grows larger every year. Seattle is the best D in the league so for some it may seem like they’re the targets, but it’s completely consistent with what he’s done when we were 4-12. Some of you are so ingrained with being a victim or finding insult or conspiracy based solely on your blue and green colored welding goggles.

37. MadSweeney42 says:

Calling it the LoB rule doesn’t mean it’s an anti-Seahawk rule. They’re just the visible face of the rule because of the physicality of their play and some comments the players said. The Bowman rule wasn’t made just to benefit the Niners, he was just a visible player who got hurt. Just like the horse collar rule was named after a player, but it wasn’t aimed at just him. Goodell loves offense and makes rules for more scoring. Period. Claiming conspiracy is absurd.

To make you feel better let’s just call it the Pro-Manning rule for now

Lol.

39. Southendzone says:

Georgia said it right, that is what I was trying to focus on, it’s a pro-Manning rule and has been since NE busted their receivers all over the field in that one playoff game.

40. PLUHawkFan says:

MadSweeny:

It’s obvious you don’t understand where I’m coming from. Now that could be entirely on me and my writing style (especially since i”m really bad at editing before I hit post *something I should change) but it could be you are good at twisting viewpoints to suit your stance.

I’ll just agree to disagree with you on this. The only thing I will strongly refute with you is that idea that I’m completely out of mind. I’ll agree I’m a homer to a certain degree. But I nearly always look at the big picture. It’s required for my line of work.

I’m entitled to call things as I SEE THEM though. Just as you are. It’s not that I fail to see the whole picture though.

Lets just leave it at that.

41. ChrisHolmes says:

Turbin looks like Chris Tucker if Tucker lifted heavy… Nice traps. Guy is a tank.

42. jchawks08 says:

Oldtallguy, you gruff SOB, I like you!

43. The Illegal contact rule and the emphasis IS against the defense – maybe ours or not but it marks the FIRST time that the league and competition committee has changed or emphasized OFFENSIVE rules when the league average for points was over 45 points –

A number of National guys and ex GM type guys have commented about it – I will try and find where I read that and post it