Seahawks 41, Chargers 14: Postgame reaction thread

Post by Ian Swenson / The News Tribune on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:58 pm with 15 Comments »
August 15, 2014 9:58 pm
Seahawk's Robert Turbin, center, celebrates after scoring a touchdown while celebrating with Russell Wilson, left, and Justin Britt at CenturyLink Field on Friday, August 15, 2014. (Lui Kit Wong / Staff photographer)
Seahawk’s Robert Turbin, center, celebrates after scoring a touchdown while celebrating with Russell Wilson, left, and Justin Britt at CenturyLink Field on Friday, August 15, 2014. (Lui Kit Wong / Staff photographer)

The usual disclaimer applies: it’s only preseason. Caveat aside, the Seattle Seahawks convincingly dismantled the San Diego Chargers 41-14.

Here are some questions for you:

1. How do you feel about your Seahawks after the first two preseason games?

5. At this point, who do you think will be a surprise cut?

Bonus question: How do you feel about the long PAT we’ve seen in the preseason?

1. 1. Better, but o-line depth is still my concern.

2. O.B. Scho. Played a nice game.

3. Turbin by far. He may not be as flashy but he’s proven, can get the tough yards, and he’s strong enough to hold onto the ball. Michael just doesn’t look strong enough in his upper body and arms.

4. Yeah I was a little surprised (and concerned) when he came back out in the 2nd qtr.

5. Maybe not a huge surprise but I think Spencer Ware is gone. He just doesn’t seem to fit in with this team…can’t quite put my finger on why, but it seems like his style conflicts with the team’s.

Bonus – I hate the long PAT. If they want to generate more points via the 2 pt conversion then just move the ball to the one and see what teams do. The long PAT is dumb.

2. bsinnitt says:

I was very impressed with Scofield. He played lights out and distanced himself from an unimpressive Mayowa.

I think there’s competition between Ware as the 5th back vs. Walters as the 6th receiver for his return skills.

I’m fine with the longer PAT. We have Housh Money!!

3. bsinnitt says:

As an extra note, I’ll wait to see if Yankinta calls Miller soft for trying to outrun the safety and getting tackled on the 2. SMH……..

4. bsinnitt says:

Identical to the McCoy play you were complaining about previously. Miller is anything but “soft”.

5. BigShermyWorm says:

Nice game.

6. taxspecialist says:

1 I feel that Seahawks will win a lot of games this year and that the Offense will see significant improvement. Percy looked fast and seemed to open up routes for Miller and others. I expect that barring injuries the Offensive line will be significantly improved from last year and the depth better.

2. I think RW had a great game but for a guy playing for a roster spot was really impressed with Schofield.

3. Turbin had a very strong game demonstrating good speed, breaking tackles and blocking. Will like to see Michael step it up and protect the football.

4. I think Wilson has played more than expected. Wonder if they will showcase Tavaris and Pryor next week trying to entice a trade or look to keep 3 qb’s

5. Benson Mayowa as surprise cut given they carried him all last year on the 53 and he gained weight and strength this year. He is getting outplayed by Schofield who can also play more positions.

I like the long extra point although most kickers will still make them it the extra point is not just automatic.. Great game. I thought Simon looked good and Avril was a beast. Go Hawks

7. jawpeace says:

1. Nice to see production out of the ones, twos, and threes. Depth is very important and I thought top/down everyone looked better.
    2. Wilson
    3. Two games in a row with a fumble for Christine gives Turbo the edge.
    4. Nope.
    5. Farewell to Farwell and Ware. But I don’t really know if that constitutes as a surprise.

Other thoughts
    Mawoya showed up this week a little more though it was against backups.
    Jeffcoat at the end of the game looked better atthe DE spot than he did last week at LB.
    One starting player that TOTALLY disappeared tonight was Jon Ryan. :)
    Two games in a row where the QB never even threw to Sherman’s side of the field. Is that going to be the trend for the year? His stats will suffer for it but it is the sign of ultimate respect.
    Scholfield is probably making the Giants second guess themselves.
    If the NFL is going to continue being so offensive bias on the Illegal contact. Then they need to change the penalty to five yards and replay the down. Instead of automatic first down. Some of the illegal contact plays had zero consequences on the out come of the play but gave an automatic first down to the offense is garbage.
    I thought it was interesting that it was the back judge who threw the flag on Simon and not the ref standing right next to the play. Which to me tells me that was a bogus call.

Favorite quote of the night…
    “Ref, ref I got the shit knocked out of me and I don’t get the…..” Doug Baldwin.

8. jawpeace says:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the extra point. I would rather they move the the ball to the one, 1.5, or two yard line rather than way back. That way teams will be more tempted to go for the two and that would be better to watch than kicking 33 yards away. Can you imagine the 05 Hawks at the one or two? Alexander to the left and two point conversion is good!

9. jawpeace says:

Around the league
    “Reviewing the penalties will keep both coaches busy.

The Patriots committed 11 for 83 yards and the Eagles were flagged for 10 for 86 yards.

At least the officials had warned the teams in meetings during the week that there would be an emphasis on penalizing contact on receivers.

”You’re just handing people first downs,” Kelly said. ”We better figure it out. And, as I said earlier, whichever team ends up being the most disciplined team from penalties standpoint (is) going to be at a big advantage in this league. It’s a challenge to everybody.”

“Payton, meanwhile, said he was ”particularly” upset with Graham’s penalties, but also with much of the team after the Saints (2-0) drew 22 flags for 184 yards.”Penalties by the Titans 10 Penalty Yards 111

The teams that were high penalty teams last year:
    Oak only 6 for 55 and Det 11 for 74 yards.

I know it is only preseason and normally you get more flags in these games but I really don’t want to see this in the regular season. Too much power for the Refs. Like holding you can call almost every play. But only call when it gets outside of the body. They can call illegal contact anytime. Not good for the game.

10. BigShermyWorm says:

a couple of horse shit illegal contact calls. Hopefully a relic of the pre-season.

11. Southendzone says:

Schofield seems to be making a lot of plays so far this year. He was solid last year too and it’s a shame what happened to him with his NY contract Really hoping there’s a spot for him.

My other comment is that while I love Earl, and he’s unquestionably one of the best athletes anywhere, he just looks off fielding punts from what I’ve seen. His approach to the ball is as if he’s a center fielder who got a bad break on the ball.

Now maybe he’s got an un-orthodox approach that will revolutionize the PR for generations to come, but so far I just don’t see it as a good fit. Allocate a roster spot for Bryan Walters if that’s what it takes to keep ET out of the PR game.

12. Newborough says:

1. They looked much more in sync this game, but I still want to see the full starting OL out there next week before I relax fully

2. Schofield and Turbin.

13. Newborough says:

2. Schofield and Turbin.

3. Turbin is the clear number 2 right now. Michael will remain an interesting change of pace back on third downs only until he improves his ball security.

4. No, I liked the way Wilson and the receivers were getting into some kind of regular season rhythm and the OL started to gel more in the 2nd quarter, so it was good to keep them out there

5. Mabowya, Ware and quite possibly Jordan Hill too.

I actually like the longer PAT, it adds excitement, as it’s no longer a virtual gimme. Haven’t seen it encouraging more 2-point attempts yet though, which was said to be one of the Leagues aims.

14. HawkfaninMT says:

I haven’t watched the game yet.., Simons name keeps popping up, he was my guy to watch coming into the preseason. Maxwells replacement perhaps?

15. 1. How do you feel about your Seahawks after the first two preseason games? Not concerned. Season will still be a dog fight as we have targets on our backs. NFC West is gonna be a mother bear with the tough defenses we will face.

2. Who was your standout in this game? One of the starters, or one of those trying to make the roster? Russell Wilson, just the poise he shows, the smart decisions he makes. His consistency game in, game out.

3. Who do you like as the number two running back right now? Robert Turbin or Christine Michael? C-Mike’s fumbles are worrisome. He needs to get a handle on that or he will not touch the ball much. At all.
    I still think Michael has much more run talent, quicker and more elusive with his cuts, but Turbin should remain #2 because of his solid all around game and the explosiveness that he also showed.

4. Do you feel like the starters — particularly Wilson — have played too much in the preseason? No. I liked the fact they played more, just to brush off the rust and get in tune better.

5. At this point, who do you think will be a surprise cut?
    Coyle’s emergence means we can save on the backup Mike spot, which means Farwell’s gone,although I don’t know if that will be much of a surprise.
    Also Jordan Hill, I haven’t seen him flash much if at all.

Bonus question: How do you feel about the long PAT we’ve seen in the preseason? It looks weird having them kick from so far back. Hasn’t hindered Hausch-Money at all. Personally don’t think it will make that much of a difference. I hope it encourages more 2-pt conversion attempts