He’s healed! Rookie DE Cassius Marsh’s MRI A-OK, could play tomorrow; Carpenter, Unger likely; Lynch might; Okung likely won’t

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:36 pm with 38 Comments »
August 14, 2014 5:45 pm

One of the sporting games within a game of the preseason is the back-and-forth we writers get to have each week with the coach on who may or may not play in each of these four preseason games.

Today was the latest bi-play, with coach Pete Carroll pleasantly joking over whether many of his baker’s dozen veterans that missed last week’s exhibition opener at Denver will play tomorrow night when the Seahawks play San Diego in their first contest at CenturyLink Field since January’s NFC championship game.

Here’s the video of the start, including Carroll saying with a not-quite-straight face that all coaches in the NFC West have accepted his ALS “Ice Bucket Challenge” — save for one. Guess who that is?:

Here’s the synopsis of the rest:

–Rookie defensive end Cassius Marsh participated in the short, walk-through practice after his MRI showed no damage for the tangling of legs that felled him and sent him to the locker room with an ominous-looking knee injury during Wednesday’s practice. Carroll said Marsh, who was impressive last week in Denver with Seattle’s only sack and four other tackles, may be able to play tomorrow night.

–Carroll was coy over whether Marshawn Lynch will play, saying with a grin, “He could.”

–Left guard James Carpenter (calf) “looks like he’s good” to play against the Chargers, the coach said. Doesn’t look or sound like left tackle Russell Okung (toe surgery) will play until next week against Chicago. Okung returned to practice last week on the same day Carpenter did. It’s Aug. 14. There’s no rush.

–The starting offensive line I expect to see tomorrow night: Alvin Bailey again at left tackle, Carpenter at left guard, Max Unger (back from a groin injury) at center, J.R. Sweezy again at right guard and rookie Justin Britt still holding down the right-tackle job. That would mean two of the three starters that missed the exhibition last week in Denver (when Russell Wilson got chased by wild-looking Broncos early) would make their preseason debuts.

–I thought it was telling when Carroll was asked a big-picture question on what he wanted to see Wilson improve on this season: “I’d like to see us protect him better,” Carroll said.

To me, that’s the key to this season. Not sure Seattle gets away with the lack of pass protection it did for much of last year again.

–Carroll said safety Earl Thomas will be back returning punts again tomorrow night, with many others also getting chances there.

–Expect to see a lot of O’Brien Schofield inside on the pass rush on third downs. Carroll made a mention of how the defense — first through third string — need to be better than it was in Denver in getting off the field on third downs. Jeremy Lane should be the nickel back again early in the game. He’s had an impressive couple of weeks in practice.

–Carroll hasn’t put cornerback Tharold Simon in his “doghouse” after Simon was thrown out of the game in Denver for slapping a Bronco in the face mask in the end zone following a Denver touchdown. The coach says we are going to see “a lot” of the second-year man out of LSU, who missed all of last season with foot injuries and had a strong beginning to this summer’s training camp.

–Carroll met yesterday with undrafted rookie Brock Coyle from Montana, who will start again tomorrow night. The coach wants Coyle to focus on finer points to his game such as better tackling form and more efficient drops into pass coverage. Carroll again praised the fill-in for injured Bobby Wagner for doing a “fantastic” job and quickly grasping the big-picture tasks of an NFL middle linebacker such as play calling, formation reads and leadership. “He’s probably surpassed what you expect a rookie linebacker to do,” Carroll said.

That’s not good news for 10th-year veteran Heath Farwell, who has also played middle linebacker this preseason but seems far behind Coyle in making the team.

–As for Wagner, Carroll said he is “hopeful” to get both he and fellow linebacker Malcolm Smith to practice next week.

–Kevin Norwood is progressing well from surgery nine days ago to remove a bone spur in the rookie wide receiver’s foot. Norwood had a boot on his foot at the beginning of this week at practice, but not now. Carroll said the fourth-round draft pick from Alabama is “really encouraged” by how he’s feeling.

–Defensive tackle Jordan Hill, Seattle’s third-round pick last year, is back practicing after a groin injury.

1. bird_spit says:

Gregg – Your blog reports are awesome. I’m impressed and happy you took over the blog.

If Heath Farwell’s time is up, then so be it. He’s had a hell of a run in the NFL. I always like the guys with long shots to make a team, but make it because of the gamer attitude on ST. He has made some impressive plays in his limited defensive play time.

2. Great news on the injury front. Looking forward to how both lines play tomorrow.

3. doubledink says:

Gregg, you just feel like one of the old hands around here.

ok, no more sucking up from me. I’m done.

A solid game from Coyle tomorrow night will most certainly spell the end for Farwell. Nature of the business.

So glad Marsh is back. I’m really looking forward to see if he builds on last Thursday’s game.

5. doubledink says:

I’m looking forward to Simon’s play. Methinks the future resides there.

6. FleaFlicker says:

I love how PC can combine his laid-back surfer vibe with a laser focus on winning every single snap of the ball. So lucky to have that guy as our coach.

And I almost forgot one more Gregg Bell trivia fact: he was once the FM radio voice of Army Black Knights Basketball. They need to add that to his TNT bio. Beat Navy.

7. I scored tickets to the SD @ SEA game tomorrow! If any of you see me there say hi. I’ll be sitting in seat 1 on the aisle in Row U, Sec 338. I’ll be easy to spot, picture Santa with a 12 jersey on. I have a foot long white/gray full beard. You can see it (although a few years ago) at my web site:

Hope to see one of my blog friends there!

8. Jim Harbuagh is such a dbag…i know i know, what’s new

9. Hammajamma says:

Schofield lining up inside? Have I missed that or do I need to spend less time with the perfect margarita?

10. Gregg Bell says:

FleaFlicker: Man, you’ve got the book on me!

Army won four games in the two years I did radio for their games. But there was always that possibility of winning the Patriot League tournament for a way into March Madness, baby!

You are going to have me spinning with flashbacks of my former life.

11. HammaJamma rule# 1 you can never spend “too much time” with the perfect margarita. :)

12. Leave it to Harbutthole to skip a good cause for charity to show his disdain for Pete and Seattle. Classless piece of garbage. I mean c’mon. Put your differences aside and show people you’re not a dummy. Wait…..never mind. It’s Mr. $7 khaki pants. If I was Pete I’d challenge his brother John just to see if they’re both douche bags. “May Jim Harbaugh die of gonorrhea and rot in hell”

(Before you judge that is a nod to Ace Ventura- Pet Detective)

13. bsinnitt says:

I’m interested to watch Mike Morgan tomorrow. If he keeps playing well it may be tough for Irvin to get back on the field once he’s healthy.

14. vichawkfan says:

I’m interested in seeing how many plays Percy gets involved in. We’ve bemoaned him most of his time here and I have a feeling he’s going to tear up the NFL this year. Calling it now, first pro-bowl WR since….well, who was the last? KRob made it for special teams….Djax make one? Can’t be back as far as Largent is it?

15. I know (at least I am pretty sure) that Brian Blades made one…

16. Marsh also won the Camp Home Run Derby also..

17. SandpointHawk says:

Steve Largent: 1 All Pro, 7 Pro Bowls

Brian Blades: 1 Pro Bowl

Alex Banister: 1 Pro Bowl

This site also has Mike Rob going as a receiver in 2011 (WTF)?

18. SandpointHawk says:

Need I say we will again have no players playing in the Pro Bowl this year, they’re going to be too busy…

19. MikeFromNewJersey says:

i still don’t like Earl Thomas returning punts. I think Richardson should be the guy back there doing this job. Our divisional rivals may go head hunting and look to knock him out if given the chance. To them it worths a 15 yard penalty to get Earl off the field…I’m saying it now, BAD BAD BAD MOVE!!

Another great Boling article.

Justin Ross getting good Just in time to help rookie Justin “Grit”Britt Develop into the Breezy Beast Blockers.

21. montanamike2 says:

MikeFromNewJersey i second that. Didn’t Honeybadger get hurt last year doing the same thing?

22. SaigonSun says:

Why can’t a running back return punts? Turbo? Michael?

23. Southendzone says:

This was a cool story on Grantland about Chip Kelly’s program. Liked it because we all feel like Pete is doing something different here as a coach, and Chip is also doing his own innovative stuff in Philly.

He always seemed like a total D to me as the Oregon coach, so smug an ass-ey but I have a feeling PHI is going to be a force this year.

24. yankinta says:

This is why I’ve been saying JAWS QB analysis is GARBAGE… smh…

25. seahawk44 says:

Joey Galloway had some great seasons. He was a pro bowler wasn’t he?

26. Joey Galloway never made the pro bowl in thirteen seasons. His best seasons were with the Seahawks until he was traded to Dallas for I think were two first round picks.

27. SaigonSun says:

Georgia, one fumble and – never again is not the right way to go about. Anyone can make a mistake. I mentioned Turbo for a simple reason : he is expendable. E.T. ,Sherman, Beast Mode , Baldwin, Harvin, Richardson are not. He is quick enough , and has a big body to absorb the punishment that comes with the position. I loved Turbo from day one… but, he needs to show (me) a reason why we will give him a spot on 53. I understand the RB corps don’t like doing PRs & KRs . Beast Mode has earned his right not to do it…. Michael is to much of a Prima Donna ( why did we waste a second round pick on him ?) for the tough job.

28. doubledink says:

Georgia, The Breezy Beast Blockers? lol.
    Mike Morgan was saying of late that they need a name for the LB group.
    Take your shot.

29. When Alex Bannister made it, it was for special teams play (I know that’s what you meant though). In that same regard, I think Michael Bates made it, too, but it wasn’t for his WR play either.

Does anyone remember the Michael Bates play in the 1980s against the Lions. It was one of the most incredible ST play I have ever seen. He caused the fumble on a crazy it and then even somehow recovered the fumble. I would love to see that play again.

Wright Wagner & Smith?

Sounds like a law firm.

Morgan & Morgan.

32. doubledink says:

I would suggest *The Bang Gang* but too many would switch it around with the obvious outcries of hate and offense.

33. Wagner likes the Ninja turtles. Some derivative of that maybe..

35. Ray_Maines says:

This for YankinTa:

The Grantland article is totally weird. They said Andrew Luck is 14-2 in close games (7 points or less) and his 87.5% winning percentage is better than any QB ever. Luck is just sooooo special!! So clutch!!

Russell Wilson wasn’t mentioned even once in the article, but then why would he be? RW has only won 55% of his close games. Boy does he ever suck.

Figures lie, liars figure…

AL has won 14 close games, 9 games by 8 or more, has lost 2 close games and has lost 10 games by more than 8 points.

Again by contrast, RW has won 11 close games, 17 games by more than 8, lost 9 close games, and has lost a grand total of ZERO games by 8 or more.

In two years Andrew Luck has lost one more game by 8 or more points than RW has lost altogether.