Seahawks star Marshawn Lynch cleared by Bellevue police of assault allegation after short investigation

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:44 pm with 44 Comments »
August 13, 2014 11:44 pm

As I wrote Monday, anyone can be accused of anything in this society.

Often unfortunately, the higher the profile of the accused, the higher the skepticism.

The Bellevue Police Department late tonight ended its two-plus-day investigation of Seahawks star running back Marshawn Lynch amid allegations he had committed assault and personal-property damage in the Seattle suburb early Sunday.

“He was not involved in this incident in any way,” read the Bellevue PD’s statement, released late tonight.

The statement also noted the investigation is open and ongoing.

But it no longer will involve Lynch or the Seahawks.

The statement came two days after the Bellevue Police Department had released a statement that distributed unsolicited to most media outlets that Lynch had been accused by a woman of the alleged incident at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday at a downtown Bellevue apartment.

On Tuesday, the Seahawks called the allegations “bogus,” unusually strong language that was proven to be warranted. The team was in the training-camp portion of its preseason on Saturday night into Sunday, with Lynch and all teammates subject to bed checks and curfews with security guards on each floor looking for any exit or entrance during the night.

Read more here from tonight’s News Tribune: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/08/13/3329917/speed-is-of-wide-receivers-ricardo.html?sp=/99/512/#storylink=cpy

Good article on Lockette Gregg.

He had a good game against Denver & looks to be competing well for a roster spot.

It will be interesting to see if he has turned the corner with regards to being more consistent in these last few pre-season games.

2. Southendzone says:

Yes, great article on Lockette. I felt like he looked as if he’d turned the corner as a receiver sometime last year with us. Maybe it was his time in SF or just experience starting to sink in but he seemed like a different WR in this recent stint with the Hawks than his earlier ones.

3. montanamike2 says:

I’m glad the team had Lynch’s back and issued such a strong statement, it wasn’t the usual wait and see thing. We all worried about the “chemistry” Lynch would contribute this season and this will go a long way. I’m still concerned for Marsh, and wondering if perhaps it’s not that serious, guy is playing on fire, i know we could redshirt him, but i think he’s a contributor if he plays. It’s a day late but i love the idea of Lane and Simon, they have buku potential and having another Sherman like player to man the other side sounds like icing on the cake, i like Maxwell tons and credit that to how deep we are.

4. montanamike2 says:

I’m wondering if anybody can make it back to our PS?

5. CDHawkFan says:

I am a day late here, but wonder how the hell did guys 30 – 40 years ago actually play 5 – 10 years in the NFL.

I would assume an ACL injury back then would have ended their career as it would have kept popping out/tearing.

How many guys back then got hurt then had to give it up? Or are there just more happening now then 30 – 40 years ago?

6. Southendzone says:

Potential good news on Marsh, don’t want to rely on this yet but Rappoport is usually pretty solid

7. montanamike2 says:

Thanks Southendzone, you just made my day, it’s not for sure yet but it sounds excellent.

8. FleaFlicker says:

South, let’s hope that Cassius Marsh just has a sprain. Kid’s got too much upside to be redshirting. Fingers crossed.

Good and bad (more like aggravating) regarding Marshawn’s alleged incident. Good that he was quickly cleared. Aggravating that he’s had his name mentioned in multiple media outlets alongside the words “assault” and “destruction of property”. Nothing against the media, they’re doing their job after a public statement by a police department. But whoever it was that lodged the BS allegation is simply a petty and small person.

Kam healthy. Percy healthy. Okung healthy. Unger healthy. What a great way to start the day!

Gregg, keep up the good work. Go Frogs!

9. sluggo42 says:

I personally would like to see some form of penalty against people who file these accusations.. It seems like any woman can file a claim of rape (Brian Banks), or assault against a man, and the shite hits the fan for the accused.

Then, they change their mind, or are proven to have fabricated the accusation, and the charges get dropped. The man gets his name dragged through the mud at the very least, (Marshawn), or worse, gets put in jail. All based on a lie from a woman. But then afterwards, what happens to the woman who lied? Nothing!

I think there should be a pretty steep penalty against people who accuse others falsely, when that accusation causes them harm.

10. montanamike2 says:

I agree Sluggo, there should be repercussions for false accusations.

11. My bet is still on Harbuagh being the one who called in this alleged crime to the cops.

12. montanamike2 says:

jboard1 that’s funny but not entirely out of the question, much like the mysterious whistle where all our linemen stood up but none of theirs even flinched.

13. Exactly Montana. I actually watched that game again the other night, and got so mad again when that play happened. Totally had forgotten about it.

14. CD–Some guys did get hurt and have to retire. However, players are MUCH stronger, faster, and larger than they were even 20 years ago, and that contributes to injuries as well.

One of my professors in college played CFL ball as a WR in the late 70’s/early 80’s. He walked with a horrible limp due to knee surgery that appeared to have been done with a chainsaw…nowadays he’d have rehabbed for a year and been fine.

15. WiscCory says:

I’m not bout those type of actions, boss.

16. CDHawkFan says:

Slave, I too can see stronger, faster, bigger causing many more knee injuries than 20 – 30 years ago.

I just can’t believe how anyone would have played anymore 20 – 30 years ago with a torn ACL. I am guessing you would have been done. I got to believe a lot of guys back then still tore theirs buy getting rolled on, or turf, etc. I just don’t remember it happening as much, seems like there has been so many more over just the last 5 years.

On a side note to others, I am sure there are plenty of laws and examples of people who have gone to jail/pay a fine for falsely accusing someone of a crime. Do you honestly think they all go free, ‘all’ being the key word?

17. montanamike2 says:

From my personal experience; My father married a gold digger who fabricated a bunch of crap to get me out of the way and take my property. I was put into Warm Springs, (State mental hospital) for observation based on my brain injury. It took 36 days to prove my sanity and her story unraveled, after i got out nothing was done about it until i, myself took them to court where i overwhelmingly won. There was no investigation about it, i was just released, that’s it. Do you know how hard it is to prove your sanity after you’ve been institutionalized?

18. juliusvrooder says:

Interesting that they named him before talking to him. I wonder if that department issues press releases with the names and work-places of everybody they intend to talk to. “We are going to reach out to Joe Doakes, the night-shift forklift driver at Pacific Cold Storage…”

Bogus is an understatement, although they got the first letter right. Shame on you Bellevue PD…

Montana – That’s awful. I can’t imagine.

20. montanamike2 says:

Yeah, like i hadn’t been through enough already. I’m a lot stronger than i thought i was, anyways they’re dead broke now, greed got them.

21. CDHawkFan says:

A 20 second google search;

Per multiple reports, Wanetta Gibson, the woman who falsely accused linebacker Brian Banks of rape when they were both students at Long Beach (Calif.) Polytechnic High School, has been ordered to repay $2.6 million in damages related to the $1.5 million she received from the Long Beach School District in a 2007 lawsuit, claiming an unsafe environment. Gibson was sued for the money she received, as well as court costs and a possible $1 million in punitive damages

22. MontanaMike2–It used to be that if two or three family members said you were insane, they could involuntarily commit you for life. I remember listening to this Screenwriter on NPR years ago; he decided he was hot spit and all he wanted to do was sleep with Supermodels. So he divorced his lovely wife and set about being a hound/wastrel. His conservative Jewish father freaked, and with his sister showed up at the airport in Cali with the white-coat men and had him committed.

He got out after a few days or weeks, but it was really difficult for him to prove his sanity because they immediately medicated him to the gills. Scary story.

Ive told you before, you are the toughest SOB Ive ever met, and thats saying something. And on top of it, youre a great guy and a Seahawks fan…Im pretty sure your place in heaven is assured lol!

23. montanamike2 says:

I did get some awesome stories from the experience, pretty funny ones. One thing i didn’t understand though was all the natives from different tribes around the state and only one of them seemed a bit schitzo. What were they all doing there?

24. montanamike2 says:

Thanks Slave, you’re a great guy too.

25. A rare love fest on the blog. Impressive.

26. sluggo42 says:

Thanks CD, that makes me feel better, but, they should publicize the crap outta that, so that people realize there is a cost to try to accuse someone wrongfully.

Jeez Montana, that’s a crazy story! (Get it, haha) but not really haha in a funny way.
    Glad it all worked out but geez!

27. montanamike2 says:

I did get some ridiculous funny stories out of it though.

28. “Interesting that they named him before talking to him”

Right? How is it policy to release Lynch’s name at all at such an early time in the investigation (i.e. when they don’t really know anything about what happened)? I mean, what is the point of putting a famous guy’s name out there?

Glad it’s a big nothing at least.

29. Montana, we’re still waiting for you to prove your sanity!

Just kidding. That’s an amazingly lousy thing to have to go through. Sounds like you made out the other side though!

30. You’ll have to share those stories with me over beers sometime, MontanaMike!

I wanted to share my happiness with the Seahawks Insider Community here, so bear with me if you will for yet another non-football comment; today I wrote a check for Earnest Money on my first house. It means I wont have to work away from my family during the week anymore. Nearly 20 years of struggle to get here, but it wasnt just hard work that got us here–it took some help and a lot of luck as well.

Three years ago our landlords abandoned our place due to impending foreclosure. For various reasons, the bank has been unable to sell the property and we havent paid rent since. We dug our way out from 35k plus in high-interest school loans (not paid off, but manageable now), then saved for a down payment. We wouldnt have had enough though, without the help of my parents and mother in law, who are loaning us money and helping with the move.

Both my wife and I make less than the avg wage in this country despite having degrees and almost 20 years of professional work experience, and still owe a good bit on high-interest school loans. But we’re going to make it.

Ive been on the outside looking in financially my entire life. Now Im clinging to the bottom rung of the ladder, and Im not letting go. Im not in the hole anymore. I share my story to hopefully encourage those who havent caught the rung just yet to stay the course, to never give up. Good things do happen–eventually–even to those perpetually accursed with bad luck (like me), and you can get there if I did.

This blog has been a great escape for me in tough times, though I am aware that despite my best intentions, my challenges followed me to the blog and colored my comments. So thank you to everyone for being a part of a blog that means a great deal to me.

Apologies for the over-share.

31. montanamike2 says:

Way to go Slave. That’s great news! No apologies needed, that’s just awesome.

32. montanamike2 says:

After all these years, you finally had the ball roll your way!

33. Montana and STTBM…wow both amazing stories. Another great example that everyone you meet has a story and their own struggles. Life sure can be crazy, but hard work and dedication will always make you stronger and a better person in the end.

34. doubledink says:

STTBM, good on ya, mate. So glad for you and yours.

For you young’uns out there, beware the student loan. options are available. My oldest worked his way through school and qualified for some assistance, 3 yrs community college, 3 yrs UW for his engineering degree (took a little longer because of working) and left school completely debt free. It can be done. He lived very frugally (buses and skateboard) and for a time was able to save some money while going to school. It put him at a great advantage later. This was only a few years back.

35. Yeah, my school loan lesson is this; DONT buy a lemon Subaru (or any other make)lol! And live as close to school as possible, even if its ghetto–commuting costs and rent can eat you up…

36. congrats STTBM, that’s great news

37. STTBM – thanks for sharing that and congratulations. I haven’t contributed much since moving from LV to Seattle but still enjoy checking in practically every day. Nice to see everyone here and I look forward to another great year.

38. Thank you everyone! I too am looking forward to another fantastic year for the Hawks!

Now we just have to jump through the hoops and make it to closing without having a nervous breakdown lol!

39. Yeah, STTBM, don’t let anyone tell you buying your first house is simple. It’s the biggest pain in the neck ever but completely worth it. Although selling our first and buying our 2nd house was pretty simple.

It is so weird how the job world works. My wife and I both make far above the average salary and I only have a AA degree and she never went to college yet there are people like you and your wife with degrees not making what you more than deserve with your education. Life is a trip.

40. DFloydd–Well, both of us work in environmental science/natural resources, so we knew I’d never make a lot. Still, I expected to be making what I make now 10 years ago, and that never happened lol…I have an AAS as well, but its a longer version (3 years), plus another year and a third that amounts to nothing…all I have to show for the second (unfinished) trip is debt…

If we can pay off the bad school debt early, once the littlest kiddo is in school and not bleeding us dry in daycare costs, we’ll be fine.

I have a friend who has an AA and some extra that doesnt count, and he makes 100k a year in Marysville or someplace. He says he should make 130k…He makes almost two and a half times what I do…

Then again, the singer/guitarist who’s been in several of my favorite bands has a Masters in English Lit and was an adjunct professor at a liberal arts college back east; he works as a bartender. And he’s beyond brilliant, nearly genius-level intelligence, just has substance abuse issues and anxiety.

It just goes to show, if you wanna make lotsa money, get in on top of Big Business, or play pro sports lol!

41. Ha! Your last sentence is so true. But regardless, congrats on the home buying. I would dread having to rent again. Although the trade off in repairs sucks. When renting and something breaks call the landlord but if you own it then that’s $$$$ out of your pocket. Still worth it though, I think.

But like I’ve always said I’d rather die with a head full of good memories than a bank full of money from working so hard I never enjoyed life. Gotta find that happy balance. Sounds like you’re on your way. Keep truckin’

42. Wonder if it’s too late to do the pro sports thing? I hear the Jets are desperate for CB’s?

Hmmm. Think they’d give a 6’2″ 191 lb 40 yr old former smoker with weak ankles and a 10 second 40 yd dash a tryout? Could be my path to fame and fortune.

43. STTBM – Love it! Congrats!