Impressive rookie DE Cassius Marsh injured in Seahawks practice, will have MRI on knee; Percy Harvin just fine

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:01 pm with 35 Comments »
August 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Fourth-round draft pick Cassius Marsh, whom coach Pete Carroll singled out last week in Denver for excelling in the Seahawks’ exhibition opener, went down in the practice that just ended with a knee injury. A team spokesman said the rookie from UCLA will have a magnetic resonance imaging exam on the knee to determine the extent of the damage. But it didn’t look good.

Marsh — whom his UCLA coach Jim Mora said plays like “a wild horse rider at times” because of his relentless energy — got tangled with Lemuel Jeanpierre, who was playing guard today, and defensive lineman D’Anthony Smith at the end of the final play of a running-game portion of the helmets-and-no-shoulder-pads practice. All three went down in a heap, with Marsh staying down. After a minute of sitting up he went onto his back with his gloved hands over the top of his helmet in apparent frustration.

Marsh then got up and walked off the field under his own power into the locker room. He did not return to the field for any of the final hour or so of practice.

The 6-foot-4, 254-pound defensive end had four tackles and the Seahawks’ only sack last week against the Broncos in his first NFL game.

–In better injury news for the Seahawks, quarterback Russell Wilson was all smiles over the return to normal and full-go today wide receiver Percy Harvin. Harvin was flying around the field and catching most of what came his way one day after scaring everyone who saw it by limping off the practice field and into the locker room with what turned out to be a mere cut on the back of his heel from getting spiked while leaping with a defensive back for a pass over the middle. Harvin returned Tuesday in time to sprint freely down the right sideline on a long go route, and he looked just as smooth running today.

–Kam Chancellor was back full-go at safety in the team scrimmaging for the second consecutive day, participating in 12 plays. That was what coach Pete Carroll had said yesterday he was wanting to see, his steamrolling strong safety put together his first consecutive practice days since April surgery on his hip. Now that he’s done that Chancellor could return to the starting defense in an exhibition game, if not this Friday then likely next Friday’s at home against Chicago.

–Another positive: center Max Unger was alongside left guard James Carpenter and left tackle Russell Okung, as the Seahawks had their leaders of their starting offensive line on the field together for the second consecutive day — and second time since the Super Bowl. Unger, who missed from last Wednesday until this Tuesday with a groin injury, said he expects to play Friday in the second exhibition game against San Diego at CenturyLink Field.

Here is Wilson talking about “the offensive line really coming together now; we’ve got all our guys back” and saying he’s not concerned about the O-line — “sometimes at the quarterback position I have to stand in there and take some hits. That’s part of the game” — and on returning to play at CenturyLink Field for the first time since January’s NFC title game (“We know it’s going to be electric; it’s going to be fun … we are looking forward to seeing all those fans and seeing how nuts they are.”:

–Wilson had an exquisite, rainbow-like throw that hit Doug Baldwin in stride for about a 35-yard touchdown in tight coverage.

–Defensive back Jeremy Lane continues to make plays daily with as the fifth, “nickel” defensive back in the starting defense. After another pass breakup over the middle today, coach Pete Carroll ran from behind the offense’s huddle area across the line of scrimmage and 10 yards downfield to high-five Lane.

–Today was “family day” for the players and staff, with a barbecue lunch set up immediately after the final practice of the training-camp portion of the preseason. Earl Thomas, for one, had his dad here from Texas. How do I know? His University of Texas wide-brimmed hat and dry-weave shirt with ETIII on the front and “DAD 29″ on the back gave him away.

–WR Kevin Norwood, Seattle’s other rookie fourth-round pick, from Alabama, was not in the walking boot he’d been wearing while watching the previous two practices. Norwood had surgery last week to remove a bone spur in his foot, and Carroll had said then that he thought Norwood could return to practice before the end of the month.

–A.J. Jefferson, the free-agent cornerback who intercepted a pass and knocked down two others in a span of six plays last week at Denver, was hopping on crutches and a walking boot because of his badly sprained ankle. He gives the appearance that he won’t be back before the NFL cut-down dates (from 90 players to 75 on Aug. 26, and down to the regular-season limit of 53 players on Aug. 30), but neither Carroll or the team has estimated any time he may be out. Jefferson played for Minnesota last season before ending 2013 on Cleveland’s injured-reserve list.

–Mike Morgan continues to look good as the strong-side outside linebacker.

–CB Thomas “Trey” Wolfe, signed, cut and signed in the last eight days out of Division-II Fort Valley State, made a leaping, over-the-shoulder interception with one arm while crashing to the ground during individual drills.

2. MikeFromNewJersey says:

This sucks.. I Maybe it’s not as bad as we thought because he was able to walk off the field himself.

3. ah crap! Been better if it was Lem or Smith…hoping for the best but this sucks…I really wanted to see him contribute this year.

4. seahawk44 says:

This guy is really going to help the team. I hope it is not a bad injury!

5. Bummer. Sure hope it’s not serious. He was getting lots of praise and looks like a beast. Fingers crossed

6. Here’s to hoping for the best! If not, at least he’ll come back next year 100% going into his sophomore season, but obviously we hope it doesn’t come down to that and he gets a handful of sacks THIS year.

7. FivePercentWrong says:

I wonder if the NFL is ever going to go the same route as the NCAA and require that all linemen wear knee braces. I know it slows them down a bit.

Are there any stats showing that knee injuries for linemen have decreased since the NCAA instituted that rule?

8. banosser says:

Ugh… well hopefully just a sprained MCL.. but until I hear diff I’m assuming an ACL..

9. doubledink says:

5% reduction, I hear.

10. doubledink says:

It stinks. I’m beginning to get used to all of our rookie DE’s taking a mandatory red-shirt year on IR.

Good news on Norwood though! For us optimists, that is.

11. Yes! I believe! Norwood will play Week One!

I belieeeeeeve!

12. As much as I hate hearing this about Marsh maybe he will become our “redshirt freshman” for this year and next year he will have a breakout season kicking butt and taking names. But honestly I hope it turns out to be a minor sprain or something he can return from very quickly and go get himself a rookie of the year award.

That is bad news. Marsh looked solid in his debut last Thursday. Here’s hoping it’s little more than a tweak.

Not surprised about Lane’s solid play. He’s very physical and much quicker than gets credit for.

14. A few here were bemoaning having Lane at nickel this offseason and coming into camp. Where’d they go?! He’s really locking down that position.

With Marsh injured, I will be paying close attention to run D and pass rush in the next game. Also the offensive line, of course. It will be good to have Unger and Carpenter back, even if Okung is still not game-ready. I expect Bailey to improve this week too, not to mention Britt. Should be a fun game to watch-Seattle is usually a lot better in the second game, a lot less sloppy.

15. Southendzone says:

Hey there’s always hope. He’s a young guy, maybe that MRI is negative and it was just a painful gnarly sprain.

16. STTBM – I am here and thought Lane would be a significant drop at the nickel from WTIII. I thought there was a big difference at the nickel between those two last year and was most definitely concerned about it heading into this season.

I know WTIII got criticism for not pulling a Revis on Randy Moss on Welker in the Super Bowl but I have never seen a nickel CB blanket Welker either. Welker has been and is pretty much the best slot WR in the league for a long time.

I believe Lane is a superstar gunner, but I still have some concerns about him at CB but am glad to hear he continues to get better because based on what I saw last year – he needed to get better at CB if he was going to be an, overall, good CB (and not just a stud ST guy).

17. Bobbyk–Lol! I forgot you were one of the Lane-doubters. Some were worse than you about it. I even had some doubts–though I stood up for him as well. I bet someone could dig up a quote or two from me grumping about him at some point since last season lol…

Thurmond played simply awful in the SB. He was flat bad. He got beaten like a Red-Headed Stepchild all night. He wasnt even close to the slot WR, make no mention of “blanketing’. Yes, Welker is a fine player, though he isnt as fast as he was; but Thurmond left him WIDE open far too often.

Maxwell never impressed me until last years preseason. Yet he stepped in and played great last year. I expect Lane to do the same in the nickel. Originally I thought he was a better outside corner than a nickel, but he’s getting better and may have found his niche.

Speaking of Maxwell, he was not impressive going up against Thomas in Denver. Yeah, its Thomas, but he still wasnt playing up to last years standards. You can see why Seattle wants a bigger stronger corner opposite Sherm.

I wonder if you’ll see Sherm follow a WR this year, or if they let teams stick their Demaryius Thomas’ on Maxwell every play…

18. Hammajamma says:

Lane never wowed me either. Reminded me of Kelly Jennings. Can’t underestimate how good this staff is at player development.

19. I think WTIII gets too much blame for having a bad Super Bowl just like the OL gets too much credit for being good in that game when they were going against one of the worst DLs they had seen all year. The Broncos only had one decent DL, IMO, in the Super Bowl in potroast or whatever his nickname was (and a guy most Seahawk fans had never heard of until about 2 weeks before the Super Bowl).

The people who talk about how the OL was so good in the Super Bowl (and they played fine, I admit) are the sames ones who would have complained about them if they had actually gone against a good DL that would have owned them and, perhaps, cost them the Lombardi. There’s no way the line would have played like they did if they actually went against a good DL.

20. This staff could have “developed” Kelly Jennings some more but they knew he was terrible and got rid of him when they had the chance. Lane is a fine player, I just don’t think he’s to the level where he’s clearly an asset (at CB with respect to last year) if you don’t count ST.

21. Reports of Incognito coming to the Hawks? Hmmmmm. I don’t think I’d like that distraction. Dude is a tough hombre but a complete tool of a human in my opinion. Just read the Hawks reached out to his agent. Oh boy….

22. montanamike2 says:

I don’t like the sound of that at all! Somehow i don’t see him and the LOB meshing.

23. montanamike2 says:

In the locker room.

24. I’d take him over Carp.

25. jawpeace says:

Well I hope Marsh will be okay. I am not optimistic when it comes to knee injuries, even when they walk off under their own power. When I hurt my knee in softball I walked off under my own power, the ER said it was just a sprain. Next morning I woke up to a balloon and a leg that would not bend at all. Yeah it ended up being my ACL which was completely torn in half. Best wishes Marsh….

I was one of those in the got to keep Lane. I even wanted to extend his contract ASAP for his value as one of the best gunners in the league and and up in coming corner. Who I thought would continue to improve.

BTW if Marsh injury is significant I think that makes Scolfield chances of making the team very good. Now that a DE might be out I would like them to move Jeffcoat back to DE-the position he played and excelled at in college.

26. The Seahawks couldn’t extend the contract of Lane even if they wanted to. He was drafted in ’12 and is only about to enter his third year. Contracts cannot be renegotiated until AFTER a player has played three full years in the NFL. That’s the reason Russell Wilson is still playing for peanuts (in terms of what other NFL QBs are getting), because he was in the same draft class as Jeremy Lane. We may have wanted Lane and Wilson extended by now, but NFL rules clearly prohibit it.

27. Singularitarian says:

I like to think of Harvin as the best slot reciever in the game

28. Bobbyk–Lol! Too much–Richie over even FatCarp (2013 Carp) is still a bad trade…you really got to ease up on him, like I did Sweezy…

Kelly Jennings was a pussy. Period. He had a few games where they lit a fire under his ass, and I know he is a good guy and everything, but onfield he sucked and was a total wuss most of the time: and he couldnt catch a pick for anything…Best trade in Seattle history was Jennings for Clinton McDonald.

I do think Lane is an asset, and I think he;s going to prove more important to our team than Maxwell. And to put that in perspective, I think Simon will be more important than Lane. Nothing against Maxwell, but Lane and Simon really intrigue me…

Comparing Lane to Jennings is flat silly. Lane is feisty, angry, can catch, and loves to hit. Jennings was the opposite of that. Jennings was a guy Id let babysit my kid: Lane is a guy I’d never let anywhere near my female family members!

29. Harvin may be the best athlete in the slot, but he isnt in the top 5 slot WR’s. He’s still got much to prove…hes not proven durable.

30. vichawkfan says:

Todd…I salute you. Worth the read though…

@Seahawks: “I’ve actually reached some gears that I didn’t know I had. I’m feeling very, very fast right now.” – @Percy_Harvin

31. jawpeace says:

Bobby I think I got Russel Wilson Vision and forgot all about Lane being drafted that year. For some reason I thought Lane was the year before. Well In someways that is even better because as good as of gunner he has become so early in his career he can only improve there and at the CB position!

32. MoSeahawk12 says:

Very good news. Glad team made strong stand and statement.

33. LouieLouie says:

Hey BobbyK: I thought the O-Line did improve going into the playoffs, especially Sweezy. Even though Denver’s front 7 were not a great unit, they were built for holding a lead. They never got the chance to do that in the Superbowl. The Hawk’s O-Line handled them pretty well, run or pass. They also played well against New Orleans and hung in there pretty well against the 49ers, who do have great LB and DL units.

34. Ewalters7354 says:

Just read on Twitter Marsh has a slight sprain. Whew!

35. EWalters–Right now, you are my favorite person!