Seahawks arrive back from Denver at 3:30 a.m.–to fans welcoming them home from a preseason game

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:27 am with 90 Comments »
August 8, 2014 11:10 am

Good morning from Denver, where I am flying out about 2 1/2 hours after the Seahawks landed back home and noted this:

That is after a remarkable number of fired-up 12s were leaving SeaTac with me at 5:30 a.m. yesterday to travel here for, again, an exhibition game. Yes, this defense of the Seahawks first Super Bowl championship is going to be a season like none other in Seattle.

Quick impressions from last night’s debut audition, before I board this flight back:

–The offensive line has a ways to go to develop the continuity and depth it will need to keep Russell Wilson — and thus the offense — upright this season. Then again, that’s not a surprise. It’s Aug. 8. And three starters were out last night. As coach Pete Carroll noted after the game, he had guys playing up front in the first half who had been practicing in positions for as few as three or four games. Wilson was sacked twice and hit one other time on the Seahawks’ first, five-play offensive series. But the 45-minute lightning delay seemed to allow the line to regroup and get more coordinated. The protection was much better on the second drive, which game after the delay. Wilson got into his only flow of the night, had time to look for multiple receivers on pass plays, and the Seahawks scored their only touchdown, a 1-yard dive by Christine Michael that tied the game at 7 late in the second quarter.

This happened far too much last night early -- Russell Wilson getting hit -- before the patchwork offensive line rebounded on Seattle's second drive (AP Photo).
This happened far too much last night early — Russell Wilson getting hit — before the patchwork offensive line rebounded on Seattle’s second drive (AP Photo).

–Brock Coyle did well in front of what the native of Bozeman, Mont., estimated to be about two dozen friends and family members, including his mother Tina plus his father Chris — the latter flew in for his son’s first NFL “game” from Connecticut. Coyle started at middle linebacker with Bobby Wagner still out with a hamstring injury, and he stayed in for the entire first half with the second-team defense, too. The former Montana Grizzlies captain and undrafted rookie showed good range dropping downfield in pass coverage, once hustling to make a tackle by peeling back into the secondary after a moderately deep catch. He also scraped off blocks and moved laterally to make a few of his five tackles. That’s what he was officially credited for — he affected more plays than that. A solid first start, which Coyle acknowledged with a shrug.

“Obviously, it was different out there,” he deadpanned. “Lining up across from Peyton Manning, I’d never done that before.”

–Terrelle Pryor made plays out of mostly nothing, and should have had the winning touchdown with 2:54 left, but Demitrius Bronson — the rookie from Eastern Washington who ran the ball with power and zest — allowed a flip screen pass versus Denver’s all-out blitz to go through his hands inside the Broncos’ 10-yard line. If Bronson makes that catch, he has no one in front of him to the end zone, the Seahawks win 23-21 — and we are talking right now about Seattle’s 10th consecutive preseason win and the game-winning drive Pryor made to raise his stock in his competition with Tarvaris Jackson for the No. 2 QB job.

Then again, if I had a zillion dollars I wouldn’t be writing this right now, either.

“I’m used to playing football and making plays. Ever since I was a little kid I’ve made plays,” he said. “So that really doesn’t shock me, just to make plays. But what shocks me and what I’m really upset about is losing the game for my teammates. I just have to make better decisions. And next time, I will.”

As it was, Pryor led the Seahawks from their own 11 to the Denver 3 with a chance to win late in the game. That’s what Carroll and his staff will notice more than the interception he threw into traffic on a tipped ball with just over 2 minutes left.

Even though Jackson is solid/average for much of the game he doesn’t have the clutch thing that good QBs like Wilson has.

It was good to see Pryor show some of that this game.

If Pryor stays consistent with it I think he will win the backup job over Jackson.

Pryor already has his Kaep & Cam imitation down so at the very least he will help our D prepare for those guys.

2. sluggo42 says:

Ya Georgia, Pryor showed enough to keep the second string QB debate alive

3. seatowntp says:

One of my observations about the linebacker play was the difference in speed between Coyle and Farwell. Coyle appeared to anticipate well and be in the right place, typically at around the line of scrimmage. Farwell, on the other hand, appeared to be trailing the play, taking poor angles, and trying to catch up to the ball carrier. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

4. sluggo42 says:

I want more CM, and less Turbine..

5. montanamike2 says:

For Denver it was another SB, for us it was pre-season game #1.Pryor looked good at times but was a bit inconsistent, he did flash some talent though, i thought Jackson was more dependable but that’s no surprise. Coyle and Jefferson were in on a lot of plays. I’m sure glad Lynch is back, maybe michael will look better later, but he’s no Beastmode. Not going to point out the obvious O-line woes. We really should have won that, but since it doesn’t count and the Broncos played well, i’ll give it to them.

6. Play of the game for me was Baldwins catch – he’s got Largent hands. It was another “Wow” catch that he makes regularly.

7. montanamike2 says:

That was some real “flag football”, these new rules have slowed the game to a crawl and the product on the field is less fun. At least the calls were given fairly evenly.

Beastmode had only 39 yards rushing against a Denver defense (with players out due to Injuries) behind our first o-line unit in the Super Bowl.

CM & our other RBs had it much worse last knighton with the new backups & rookie o-lineman.

I think CM & Turbin will be fine.

I’m much more concerned with the way Denvers backup RBs ran through or backup D players like a knife through butter.

9. montanamike2 says:

That’s a valid point Georgia. Maybe with our starting o-line the backup RB’s will look better, plus after over a year plus, it’s too soon to get a grasp on CM after only 1 pre season game.

10. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, I wouldn’t worry about that. We were playing our 3rd string and 4th string LBs and D-Line.

Think about it for a moment, we almost won the game playing with mostly our bottom half of the 90 man roster…. I mean there were guys I have never seen of or heard of… lol

As for Pryor, just as I predicted,, he is more than good enough to win the backup QB job. T-Jack looked good too and hopefully other teams are watching…. let’s get his guaranteed salary off the books and get something back in return. :)

11. WilliamPercival says:

Spot on Seatown, and the reason Coyle will be on this team over Farwell and I know how much the Hawks value HF on ST.

Being from Montana and growing up pulling for the Griz during the Dave Dickinson days (went to the national championship in WV against Marshall when we beat Randy Moss), it was pretty cool to hear the announcers label the “Coyle Drive”. He really was all over the place. There was even a comment after his hit against the opposing RB (that knocked him out of the game) where they said “exactly the kind of bit you would expect of a kid from Montana”. Spot on…

With that being said, I do think Coyle is going to need to improve his strength a little bit. There were a few times he read the play well, zipped into position and was plowed backwards while making the tackle. Stuff you wouldn’t see with Bobby. I realize he just made the jump from Missoula and had his first opportunity to actually feel the game speed and work on tackling, so it could just be a little time needed to adjust.

In any case, glad to see him do well and look like we don’t need to rely on Farwell of Wags misses a few games as he did last year.

12. WilliamPercival says:

excuse the typos (finger typing from my not-so-smart phone)

*hit you would expect

*if Wags misses

The offensive’s inept play is largely responsible for Pryor’s “success”. I would like to see how he plays with a clean pocket and time to make reads downfield more consistently, as opposed to having to create something out of a jailbreak in front of him (which is a great talent to have, don’t misunderstand that).

I also agree with those that feel Coyle spells the end for Farwell. Farwell did not play well at LB, last night. And Coyle played lights out on ST, and very active at LB.

I also thought March had a nice gave. Very active and played behind the line often. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

There are a lot of Denver fans wishing they had picked Coyle in the draft.

16. ChrisHolmes says:

It’s only one game, but I thought Coyle earned a spot last night.

And Michael has to see more touches.

OL… please get these guys working. I realize we won a SB with one of the worst OL’s ever, but asking for a repeat isn’t realistic. This unit has to get better.

And Maxwell has to play better. He’s got to know teams are going to go after him with Sherman on the other side.

17. Did anybody notice how Alvin Bailey played? My TV screen / the camera view seemed too far away to see the OL play well. Is our OL really that bad?

18. RDPoulsbo says:

Farwell has always been the end of the depth chart at LB and made his living on ST. Coyle showing he can play coverage well probably does mean Farwell will be picked up by Jacksonville in a couple weeks.

No, the o-line was not impressive and I’ve long been wanted better play out of that unit, but I’m willing to give them a pass for this game only. There were too many guys out from the top half of the depth chart to be too critical. 2nd vs. 1st string, 3rd vs. 2nd…just not a fair way to judge. Don’t think didn’t I feel like it was 2010 all over again though.

19. yankinta says:

I was disappointed by these players… smh..

1. Benson Mayowa
    2. Robert Turbin
    3. 2nd string O-line
    4. Jackson Jeffcoat
    5. Tharold Simon

20. montanamike2 says:

Bronson has lousy hands, actually a lot of guys on the depth chart were dropping balls that were very catchable. We would have won without half of those drops.

21. sluggo42 says:

I think there were 25-30 flags between the teams. I don’t know if our game was the exception, or if all the other games were called that tight.

I’m sure the front office of officiating instructed all of their staff to call all the new rules super tight, in order to drill it into players heads. I see the calls relaxing as we get more into the season

I agree with that list Yankinta.

As a big critic of Lockette in the past I have to admit I was impressed with his toughness.

Agree Sluggo.

I don’t see this flag fest lasting too long either.

24. Michael shows more than Turbin, who really is, for lack of a better word, kind of a boring runner. Always hits the pre-determined spot, but has no shake in his game.

flags really slowed things down. they’re calling it the LOB rule, but really, it’s obviously going to impact every defense.

25. doubledink says:

26. Southendzone says:

Again we will be wringing our hands about the OL it seems. Would have preferred for RW not to take any hits last night, instead he got a few good shots.

TJack still seems like the backup. Solid veteran who knows what to do and can absolutely win you a game or two if he has to.

Pryor exactly what you’d expect, flashes some serious athleticism and passes fairly well too, but when he scrambles and makes time for himself, typically doesn’t show the vision or ability to hit an open receiver.

Most looking forward to seeing the OL improve both in the pass and run game. If they can keep the run game up to par at least with last year, the passing game should flourish with this year’s WR group.

27. yankinta–I only listened to the game etc, but the Seattle announcers said Mayowa looked good and got penetration, if no sacks. Im curious what you saw that you didnt like?

Simon is a hothead, we knew that. Also, there was a lot going on in that scrum that could have been called by the officials; they just chose him. Still, he’s in the doo-doo house for that penalty.

Jeffcoat is raw and doesnt know what he’s doing at SAM. He isnt going to do anything this year even if he makes the team. As and UDFA, I think many of us expected too much from him. Even First Round DE’s with major speed take two years to make an impact on avg at DE.

28. On the line; Bailey vs Ware is a disaster my dog could have predicted. One starter playing out of five? Equally obvious disaster waiting to happen.

I think its evidence how important it is to a line to play together as a unit and become greater than the sum of its parts. Last night, even Sweezy looked bad according to those that saw it.

Before Georgia has a conniption, let me say that I think having the backup C and a rookie RT next to him threw it off, and it probably wasnt just a case of Sweezy playing badly.

As I stated earlier, I think it was suicide to put RW in with second and third stringers, and putting him out there with Bailey, Schilling, and Britt was the dumbest move Ive seen a coach do since put Gronkowski in on Special Teams and get his arm broken.

29. I told you guys Coyle was a good pickup in FA. I didnt think he’d be THIS good though, and Im as surprised and happy as anyone about it!

Go Griz!

30. doubledink says:

Simon just got his apprenticeship stripes with that ejection, in the locker room at least. Maybe not with the coaches, but it’s preseason. It’s forgivable. Now he needs to settle down a bit and still bring that sharp edge.

31. LarryLee says:

With all the draft choices used on the OL it remains the weakest grouping on this team, at least in my opinion. I know guys were out last night but even with them in I’m not very impressed. Injury prone, out of shape etc. Why does every other group seem to get strong and deep (WR) after being considered so-so. I respect Coach Cable but I expect to see some improvement. The OL line looks more like a patchwork quilt than a work in progress.

32. MoSeahawk12 says:

I was only able to watch the second half of the game and that included the long drive that should have won the game in the forth. Obviously the team has lots of work to do. That is understandable as they have only been in camp for two weeks and were missing over half the starters. I think people need to have realistic expectations. This is not the same team that won the Superbowl last year. They are not going to just jump out and put up a ton of points and shut out another team the first week of preseason.

It is cool that as fans we certainly have raised expectations to the point we expect to win every game, preseason or not. Not just us, but the players as well. Before Carroll came here and we sucked, I’m sure winning a preseason game didn’t have as much value to us. If we won cool, if not ok. Now after all the turnover and watching the team being constructed brick by brick, expectations are very high and that’s awesome. This team hadn’t lost a preseason game in over two seasons. I still wanted and expected them to win last night and was kinda bugged they didn’t. But then I stepped back and said, ok they were sloppy and have many things to work on as does every team in the NFL on August 8th.

I looked at how many guys didn’t even make the trip let alone play. There is a large number of last nights team that won’t make the final roster. I’d not ready to over critique this team after one game in August while missing most of the difference makers. This team is stacked with playmakers everywhere. We didn’t see that last night and that’s ok as preseason kinda dictates this. If we’re having this same conversation in September, then call me worried. Right now, these guys lost their first preseason game in over two years. No big deal.

33. montanamike2 says:

15 years from now I want to see Doug Baldwin ask Chris Carter to present him for induction into Canton. LOL Good one doubledink.

The good news is the team that was fielded last night wasn’t the one the Broncos will face in the 3rd game at Clink. Let them be unprepared for what’s coming.

34. doubledink says:

Gregg, has Pete Carroll pranked anybody yet this training camp? He got Clem real good a couple of years ago and then had TO prank the whole team after that. If you hear of something I sure would like to hear it.

35. MoSeahawk12 says:

I will add another take away watching Pryor. The dude has tons of athletic talent. Big, fast, strong. Reminds me a little of Cam Newton. A smaller version anyway. I’m not sure where his ceiling is as a NFL QB though. His body language seemed very uncomfortable and it looks difficult for him at times. He doesn’t seem to have that spark, “it factor” that most of the better QBs have. He made some plays, but was always looking at the ground walking back to the huddle. He just seemed timid and unsure. Of course he needs way more experience and those things will improve, but after watching him last night I’m not sure if his ceiling is even that of T-Jack. Could be way wrong and I hope I am, but only watched one half of the first preseason game and as I said above, having realistic expectations is important not only for the team, but each player as well.

It’s important to keep in mind that Michael would be the eventual replacement for Lynch (although I’m skeptical) and Turbin is a complimentary back. They really fill different roles for this team. And while Turbin is a “boring” runner, he has good hands, has become adept pass blocking, and is faster than he appears. But he’ll never be a feature back, like they believe Michael can become.

37. I thought Bronson looked good. I believe he had back to back to back 5 yard runs. If Pryor’s pass had been a little more on target with a little more touch Bronson would be a hero today.

38. Does anyone have a link to game stats yet?

39. OregonHawk says:

“Play of the game for me was Baldwins catch – he’s got Largent hands. It was another “Wow” catch that he makes regularly.”

Amen!!!

40. T.Pryor was SEA’s leading passer and rusher yesterday, against DEN’s depth players, but still he was well worth the traded draft pick. TP’s NFL QB rating was only 58.6 compared to 89.6 for TJax and 83.3 for RW. These may be misleading, true, since they only represent the outcome of his play performance and not exactly how those numbers came about in the heat of battle. Did anybody notice Kiero Small in the game yesterday? He played, according to the game book, but no stats? Did anybody notice his blocking?

41. Ewalters7354 says:

Maybe I’m in the minority,but I think Pryor played well for the most part.We all know he’s not starter material yet,but it was his first game in a new system and he did an admirable job imo.

Lets not get worked up over the o-line playing miserable just yet.They only had one starter playing.But I will say Britt looked terrible and has a lot of work to do before he gets the starting job.

I like the Bronson kid.Very tough runner.

42. Ewalters7354 says:

Pryor’s pick at the end of the game affected his passer rating.

43. Biggy (or is that Biggie?) Small was blocking on those Bronson runs.

44. Gregg Bell says:

doubledink: If and when I come across one I’ll pass it along. Thanks.

45. Hammajamma says:

Easy to see why they like Pryor, but he stayed true to form: alluring physical ability, inconsistent accuracy, critical turnovers. That said, the potential is intoxicating enough to keep him on the roster, along with TJack, I would think.

AJ Jefferson, anyone? The pick was an under throw, but there could be something there.

Watched the Denver broadcast, which always provides a window into homerism. I was entertained by how often they referred to the Seahawk “first team” offense or defense when highlighting a positive play by the home team. Apparently no one studies the opponent’s roster too hard. All good fun.

46. oldtallguy says:

My all time favorite receivers are Raymond Berry and Steve Largent. Great hands, great route runners and always make the critical catches. Baldwin is making a huge effort to get on my list.

47. sluggo42 says:

I wasn’t all that impressed with Mayowa either, seems he never took the right path in. I didn’t really see anybody in the leo cause trouble, and esp. against the first team, we never got close to Peyron, thats why he gashed us. Seems like their line took everything we threw at us with ease, and the exact opposite when we had the ball

48. sluggo42 says:

lol Hamma, ya the broadcasters I had missed every players name, on a consistent basis, except for Russell Wilson

49. montanamike2 says:

I had to listen to Denver’s broadcasters too, my ears are still bleeding.

50. kim008, thanks for the stats link! Those are amazingly detailed stats! They even show the 3 consecutive 5 yard runs late in the 3rd quarter.

51. RDPoulsbo says:

Let’s not overthink Pryor. Yes, he’s an intriguing prospect with lots of talent, no he’s not a steady, consistent player. If the Hawks were looking at him as the future face of the franchise, I’d be very alarmed but right now, he’s slated to be the #3 QB this year. T-Jack is that steady player that can come in to play in case of an emergency and keep the team afloat should Wilson be injured for a few games. Pryor has time to grow into a backup role and that’s all that’s necessary right now. When the season starts, he’ll spend more time with Dan Quinn giving him looks he wants to prepare the defense for the next opponent. I keep saying that worrying about the 3rd string QB is very overrated, and it still is. As long as he can do his job in a red jersey in the middle of the week with the promise that someday he could be a competent backup, that’s all that matters.

52. Oldtallguy–Great comment! I remember Berry. He lost his depth perception, and Seattle knew it; they traded him to Indy, and he never really played for them. That trade, and the fact we ripped them off on Fredd Young the LB, made Indy so bitter at Seattle they would never trade with us.

I wonder if that animosity is still there?

53. As always, way too much meaningless hand wringing and analysis on games that don’t matter. The coaches watch practice every day. Study habits and film work is a huge part of player development in today’s NFL. We see so little of what goes on, but seem to have strong opinions as to what should happen based on very little evidence (10-15 plays in a practice game) I don’t comment here often, and I certainly never comment on players that may or may not be on the team during the regular season. I trust the coaches, and I trust that when the regular season starts, the best 53 will be out there. Everything leading up to that is pure speculation based on very little fact or knowledge.

54. rodman–speculation is fun, thats why we do it. Not because any of us truly believe we’re better armchair GM’s or coaches than Seattle’s. Sheesh.

55. seahawk44 says:

If this offensive line is practicing against the great Seahawks defense every day….then the coaches must know they have problems right? Or is the loss of Bryant, Clemons and McDonald playing a bigger part than we had hoped? Denver seemed to out play Seattle on both sides of the trenches in the 1st quarter. I was not at all impressed by anyone on the O line! Britt has much to learn. I am quite sure the addition of Okung and Unger will help….but that is only 2 of 5 spots. Will this group ever be at least average?

56. montanamike2 says:

Denver is celebrating today as if this 1st pre season game redeems the SB. Bad on me for forgetting Brock Osweiler played for Denver yesterday. Please accept my sincerest apologies for being a dough head.

57. Carp will be back next week at LG, and hopefully we’ll see more of Winston. You can tell Seattle badly wants Britt to beat him out. The only way I see that happening is if they dont give Winston time to show what he can do with the ones.

MontanaMike2–Yeah, I told a friend on facebook who loves Denver Congrats on winning the Preseason SB! She asked why they couldnt do that in the SB, and I said, Uh..because you guys added Ware, Talib, Ward, etc to improve your D, and Seattle was starting ONE starter on the O-line, was missing Lynch, Kam, Wags, and Smith….

58. “yankinta–I only listened to the game etc, but the Seattle announcers said Mayowa looked good and got penetration, if no sacks. Im curious what you saw that you didnt like?

Turbin isnt as explosive as Micheals, but everyone knows that. But he is good in pass pro and recieving, which Micheals still sucks at. And those things are big deal to protect our boy RW. And busting a big run means nothing if you fumble or get RW massacred. Micheals has a long way to go before he gets any time onfield in regular season.”

thought Mayowa looked overmatched on his rushes, he never got close on any of the 1st half dropbacks.

Why are we so sure Michael sucks at pass catching? He looked alright to me yesterday.

59. Re Michael v. Turbin, I don’t disagree that they fill different roles going forward for the Hawks – – but I guess I’m saying that Turbin, at least as a runner, is unimpressive. Better as a receiver.

I’m not fully sold on Michael yet either, don’t feel like I’ve seen enough of him, but if he continues to look like the better runner after this pre-season, then I’d rather see the 5-7 carries per game that you get as Lynch’s back-up go to him this year.

60. Southendzone says:

Brock Osweiler looked like garbage. If not for Marsh being unable to finish that one sack, he would have had next to zero stats.

I hope all Bronco fans are having a giant seyonce right now praying for the health of Peyton. With Osweiler as their starter, they are about a 4 win team.

61. Brock is a Montana kid, and as such I root for him. But he’s always, always been an underachiever since HS. He’s just so big and strong everyone seems to be willing him to be great.

He did manage to scramble for 17 yards, then throw a 35 yard TD vs Baby Legion of Boomers…

62. pdway–Michaels will be a total stud, if he can ever figure out how to pass pro and be a receiving threat. No doubt.

But Turbin is pretty decent, and a great third down/change of pace back. Right now, he can be counted on to contribute in any situation; Micheals still looks pretty clueless and not ready to rock.

Which is too bad. He’s expected to take over for Lynch soon….

63. STTBM – got to disagree w/you that Turbin is a change of pace back at all. He may have some open field speed once he gets a head of steam, but he’s not as quick or shifty as ML. Didn’t think Michael looked clueless last night. Feels like that’s more perception from last year than this year’s reality. We’ll see over the course of this pre-season I suppose.

64. montanamike2 says:

3 more pre season games to go. Sometimes players shine at the end of pre season whereas they’ve struggled in earlier games, i hope that’s the case with many of our up and comers.

65. OldTallGuy–Raymond BUTLER is who I was thinking of lol!

Sheesh, got my mind (whats left of it) on other things….

In process to make an offer on my first house. If we get it, I wont have to live apart from my family during the workweek. Its been a loooong struggle to get here. Now that its so close to working out, I dont know what to do or feel…

66. montanamike2 says:

I hope it works out for you Slave.

67. pdway–He’s a change of pace to Lynch’s style. He’s a fine receiver and has a different style of running. Not saying he’s Dave Megget or Danny Woodhead or Justin Forsett.

You saw more than I did. Several said Micheals made multiple mistakes in pass pro, and seemed confused/incompetent on a few plays. He’s got to get that down or he wont see the field much. I think we’re all anxious to see what he can do with the ball in his hands in the real games…

68. montanamike2–Sooner or later it will. Right now there arent many decent houses available in our range, the ones that show up go fast. So much for the buyers market, it dried up just before my financing came through lol!

69. Southendzone says:

Congrats on the home deal STT! Sounds like a major improvement for your work/commute situation. Good luck with it.

70. montanamike2 says:

Montana used to be cheap!

71. RDPoulsbo says:

Got the keys to my first house 1 year ago today. Spent all evening lording over my domain. Yes, it’s a satisfying feeling even if you’re really paying the bank. Congrats STTBM, but just be sure to do your due diligence prior to closing. A home inspector is well worth the cost.

72. Ewalters7354 says:

Did Bj Daniels play yesterday?

73. doubledink says:

everywhere used to be cheap. I remember gas at $0.19/gal

74. STTBM – Congrats! Hope it works out!

Ryan Clady is one of the best football players in the NFL. Pretty sure there would have been no blindside pressure on Manning if he’d played that certain game in Feb. Add that to our health being, overall, good… combined with all of the Bronco injuries… it’s not going to be an easy ride this year and if we face the Broncos again on equal footing (with respect to injuries), it’s not going to be another blowout, although I am confident in our guys to win a 27-24 type of game against them.

It’s a new year…

I am concerned about the health of Okung and Unger, especially with Okung having a track record of missing games every year of his pro career up to this point. I also think Winston is a better choice at RT if the goal is to repeat as champs. Britt is probably the long-term solution though but I don’t have a good feeling about most rookie OL. Although many of you consider Carp a “starter who was out” last night, I consider him a guy who would probably help the Hawks more if he were cut and picked up by one of our division opponents. pabs loves Alvin Bailey more than most of us, which is fine. I don’t think he’s bad moving forward, but I don’t think he’s going to be an overly good NLF OL either – especially if we’re fooling ourselves into thinking he can be a good NFL LT (RT, maybe). At least he’s not a blockhead like Bowie. Throw the brain and work ethic of a Baldwin into the body of Bowie and you’ve got a pro bowl guard on your hands. Throw a 10 cent head onto the body and you’ve got a Cleveland Brown.

75. PLUHawkFan says:

I think because of the Super Bowl win, and our previous win streak in preseason the expectations are really set to high for most fans.

Pre-Season is meaningless for all intense and purposes. It’s a time for the coaches to see what we have in players so they can look at film and start making decisions on roster cuts. It’s also so we can see area’s to work on for players, as well as just get everyone into game shape for the regular season.

Now I’m not at all insinuating we ignore preseason games, I just think we need to look at players more individually rather then overall team performance. Preseason has little to do as far as indication goes on how the Regular season will go. Over the years I’ve watched many many teams kill preseason and suck during regular season. And I’ve seen opposite, teams lose every preseason game to blaze through the regular season. We just need to see preseason for what it is…. Mainly player evaluations.

If we focus on individuals however, it does give us a glimpse of what we have. So in my humble opinion judging our O-line as an example at this point is pure foolishness. We can try to exam some individual efforts, but that about it.

I thought overall the game was positive in that we got to see what some of the fringe players especially can give us. I also think it showed us who could possibly be gone in a couple of weeks.

Pryor showed he has talent in my opinion, and is worth continuing to look at. Does he have work to do? YOU BET, but he showed potential and if he shows continued improvement and development who knows.. he might stick around.

76. Gregg Bell says:

Ewalters7354: Daniels was in uniform, warmed up before the game and with Jackson and Pryor on the sidelines to get them ready to come in the game — but the Seahawks held him out because he “tweaked his groin,” in the words of Pete Carroll Wednesday. Thanks.

77. Cable needed to see what kind of hand he’s been dealt…there’s 7 guys that played last night on O-Line that never started a game for Seattle…6 weren’t on the Roster last year…and 3 that have been at camp a week or less…I still think Seattle has a chance to upgrade their line from last year…save that quote….Coyle will take Farwell’s place on special teams and 2MLB…no one mentioned how well he hits…whoever the better blocker is wins the TE 3 spot…I say between Helfet and Allen…I though pryor was surprisingly calm considering the circus going on around him…I like what I saw…Cassius Marsh is going to have a great year…There’s more to P Rich than meets the eyes…more than straight line speed…that will play big for the short game…Britt will show improvement every game…he has a real shot to be the starter by regular season…I think Seattle will show better O Line depth than last year…that will play big the last 6 weeks….Seattle will watch the wire for a RB on the 53 cutdown…there are a couple of teams that have some young guys who are good who won’t fit on their roster…if last nights running is repeated through preseason with the backups…Seattle may shop early…Having Cam, Irvin and Wagner on the field makes a difference to the D Line…both on running downs and passing downs…Seattle won’t be running a “Vanilla” D scheme come Sept…San Diego has a good pass offense and run game…good test next week…their D is not quite as good as Denver’s with the adds of Ward, Ware and Talib. Go Hawks!

78. “Ryan Clady is one of the best football players in the NFL. Pretty sure there would have been no blindside pressure on Manning if he’d played that certain game in Feb.”

Totally fair point – – he was the guy I saw dominating Mayowa early on. And it’s true that he’ll handle most rushing ends. Still would’ve been nice to see some flashes from Mayowa if the hope is that he’s going to be a legit part of the pass rush this year. Someone needs to step up in Clemons/Irvin’s absence.

79. Ewalters7354 says:

Thanks Gregg.I was wondering why I didn’t hear anything about him during the game

80. Ewalters7354 says:

Benson Mayowa is gonna be fine imo.One preseason game means nothing.Remember what he did last preseason?

Irvins absence could be a positive for for this defense.

82. Thank you guys for the well wishes! It’s appreciated.

Georgia–You are far worse than me with your negative hyperbole. We’re not better without Irvin, at least in the regular season. He’s actually very good in pass coverage, just not so much vs the run.

You’re harder on him than I am on your crush Sweezy. And Irvin was a better player than Sweezy! Give Irvin two solid years at one position, he’ll be alright.

Actually, I think Irvin should be moved around and either be in cvrg or blitzing at all times…

Your as bad as Bobbyk is with Carpenter! Mark my words, both players will help us this year!

83. Bobbyk–Missed your comments, don’t disappear for so long dude!

84. Poulsbo–We’re being careful, we have a Real Estate/business guru as a buyers rep, and he likes me. Our problem is we like old houses and have great credit but limited downpayment in a suddenly tight market; and we gotta get the kid in school quick…

85. seahawkfan97 says:

does anyone have a comment on Christine’s run to the one yard line…it looked like he was barely hit and fell down without getting into the end zone…..I was thinking beastmode at that moment!

86. akmac61 says:

Except for the drop, Bronson looked good running. Coyle was impressive. Richardson was reliable. What happened to the middle of the DL, it looked like a sieve. The OL is scary bad, but a work in progress for sure. For all that, staying that close in an away game at altitude wasn’t too bad. Lots of learning experiences for players and coaches.