Broncos 21, Seahawks 16: Postgame reaction thread

Post by Kenny Via / The News Tribune on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm with 8 Comments »
August 7, 2014 10:08 pm
Seattle Seahawks cornerback Tharold Simon (27) punches Denver Broncos tight end Gerell Robinson (89) during the second half of an NFL preseason football game, Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014, in Denver. Simon was ejected. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)

The Seahawks lost to the Broncos on Thursday, 21-16, in Denver.

This time, however, the stakes weren’t quite as high.

It was the first exhibition game of the season for the Super Bowl combatants, and although the outcome was vastly different than the 43-8 drubbing Seattle put on Denver in February, it was only preseason.

There was a bevy of flags, nearly an hour delay, and a ton of mistakes. Just what you might expect from the first tuneup of the season.

A few questions:

1. What’s your overall take from the performance?

2. Which player from the bottom of the depth chart stood out the brightest?

3. Which player was the most disappointing?

4. What do you hope to see improved upon the most by next week?

5. How much can you take away from a game like this?

1. DanielleMND says:

I didn’t see much of it, but it seemed like a typical pre-season game, won or lost by 3rd or 4th stringers. I’m glad Pryor will be no better than 3rd string QB, though.

2. jawpeace says:

First impression of Britt looked way better than the last right tackle we drafted high in the draft. Not sure if I want him starting just yet, but he does have a few weeks to learn and improve before it really starts to count.

Nice to see the whiners get spanked by Ravens again only preseason but a whiner ass kicking is good any time of the year!

3. TomlPDX says:

Overall, I thought it was disappointing to see so many basic mistakes. The team didn’t look sharp at all and watching Pryor run for his life just made me groan. We HAVE to do something about our O-line now or we are in for a looooong season.

I like what I saw in Coyle. Did a good job and certainly stood out on special teams.

Biggest disappointment for me was Michael. I sure hope he was just having a bad night.

Biggest excitement was Richardson. Made some really good plays and showed a lot of hustle. Really excited to see what he will develop into as he matures as a pro.

What to work on? Discipline, offense line and the blocking against the run. Denver ran right through us and I was surprised to see how easily they did it.

Agree about Coyle, he looked great for his first game.

And Richardson looked good too. He looks to be much much more than a deep threat.

Not much concerned with the o-line at this point. With four starters out & a bunch of guys being here for just a few weeks. What more can we expect at this stage.

You could tell that Denver really wanted to prove they could be as physical as us.

This was a huge game for them in that regards.

So overall (other than the flags) I think the Seahawks competed well considering who they played & with many of the starters out.

5. Jusjamn says:

At some point, can we have an adequate O-Line?

6. jawpeace says:

Quit all the whining about the lines play. We only had one starter at the beginning-Sweezey and all backups who have never played a game with their fellow linemen before. So of course their play left plenty to be desired.

7. juliusvrooder says:

Pathetic how Denver needed this win so bad. Then acting like a 5 point victory in a pre-season slop fest was redemptive. Can’t wait to see some of that new-found swagger when it’s for real (right up until kickoff…)

8. Macabrevity says:

My reaction? If this were a regular season game, then I’d say the NFL has succeeded in putting an unwatchable product on the field. Luckily it wasn’t, but I’m still a tad underwhelmed by the way games are run. Interrupt 50% of the play with penalties, the other 50% with advertising…when I do the math, there’s no time for the actual game. How did they squeeze one in there?