Morning links: Seahawks going light day before preseason opener

Post by Gregg Bell / The News Tribune on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:07 am with 67 Comments »
August 6, 2014 9:07 am

On my way to Renton for this morning’s expected-to-be light practice on the eve of the preseason opener Thursday at 6 p.m. at Denver.

One among many Seahawks for whom this game is prime chance to impress is second-year cornerback Tharold Simon. In today’s News Tribune I wrote how his size and speed make him an attractive option to backup Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell — and how Sherman’s enthusiasm over Simon is indicative of the All-Pro starter’s behind-the-scenes influence on the entire defense, if not the whole team.

Second-year cornerback Tharold Simon after another impressive practice Tuesday at Seahawks training camp (PETER HALEY/Staff photographer).

TNT colleague Evan Thompson has the notebook stories this morning, leading with former Canadian Football League wide receiver Chris Matthews making some overdue noise Tuesday.

Other links …

The Seattle Times profiles another Seahawks wide receiver, rookie Paul Richardson, returning to Colorado for Thursday’s game.

espn.com writes about Kam Chancellor’s return from offseason hip surgery, an injury he says has bothered him since college at Virginia Tech. The hard-hitting safety proclaims he’s at full health “and it’s kind of scary, literally” for opponents.

By the way, I came across this $250,000+ item from autoevolution.com in yesterday’s blog that also keeps Chancellor happy.

The Everett Herald profiles the increased opportunity safety Jeron Johnson has been getting while Chancellor has been out.

I’ll have more when I get to Renton.

1. Matthews has a long climb to leapfrog Bates, Walters, and Lockette. May the best WR win….

And Evan Whatshisname from the link needs to check his facts; Sydney Rice is listed at 6′-2″ tall, NOT 6′-4″ tall, so Matthews is (abacus engaged) 3 inches taller than Rice was. Rice may have had the arms of someone 6′-4″ tall, but thats a different thing…

2. yankinta says:

I’m looking forward to see how good these players are in preseason games…. :)

1. Tharold Simon
    2. BJ Daniels
    3. Phil Bates
    4. Paul Richardson (only 4th cuz I already know he’s pretty good)
    5. Rashaun Allen

3. Just looked up Sydney Rice bio and he is listed as 6ft 4in

4. yankinta says:

clhs70,, STTBM has like the most mis-information of a Football fan that I have ever seen. I stopped trying to correct him a long time ago. :) smh…

5. mocarob says:

Isn’t Simon the player that was arrested outside a family member’s house last year around the draft? Didn’t they say he was yelling something about owning the town once he makes the NFL?

6. reapertaz says:

yep thats the one

7. reapertaz says:

mind u there is question on the he said he said issue

8. mocarob says:

Simon was also one of the players suspended with the Honey Badger & Spencer Ware for testing positive for synthetic MJ while at LSU. I hope he has toned things down a bit.. Don’t let him live near a Top Pot.

9. reapertaz says:

roflmao that is true 2011

10. chuck_easton says:

OK,

Not that this will carry a hill of beans, but here goes:

WR’s

Locks:
    Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson

Fighting for that 1 or maybe 2 remaining spot(s):
    Matthews, Walters, Bates, Lockette

Likely going to ‘redshirt’ on IR:
    Norwood

If I had to pick today I would say Matthews and Walters both make the final 53.

I haven’t heard anything from Lockette other than his continued propensity to drop passes. I know he was a great gunner, but that can be replaced with some of the new guys.

11. doubledink says:

Chuck, what about Walters gives you confidence in him making the cut?

12. Ray_Maines says:

Richard Sherman says Kam Chancellor lives in a “Dark Place.” Appropriate then that he would drive a Wraith.

If you’re interested, check out this Car & Driver link to their test of that car. It seems that Kambo has pretty good taste.

13. seahawk44 says:

Chuck …. Is Kearse a sure lock?

14. chuck_easton says:

Double and 44,

I haven’t heard anything negative about Kearse and given his contributions to the offense last year I see him as safe.

Every time I watch the Live feed from camp or I read the day in review it seems like Walters is just jumping out from the rest.

Both are just my hunch and more of a personal feeling.

I will admit I don’t like Lockette. I don’t like the fact he is useless as a WR. I don’t like that he spends his offseason hanging out with Kaepernick and other 49rs. He had some great plays as the gunner, but I don’t think that is enough to get him that 5th or 6th spot in my opinion.

15. Not a Lockette fan for the same reasons, Chuck. Sure he is fast, but we have lots of speed now. I bet if he is released, the 9ers will take him back in a heartbeat. Him and CK are butt buds and Harbag can probably get some inside info from him on the Hawks.

16. montanamike2 says:

Agreed Chuck, for all those reasons.

17. SaigonSun says:

My list of players that will stay with us : WR Bates, CB Thomas “Tre” Wolfe and Jeffcoat. Norwood will be stashed away for next year , I hope.
    Bates is ready to contribute; nobody pays attention to Wolfe so, we can move him to the practice squad. Unfortunately, Jeffcoat will be goner; not ready for the 53 and will not clear the waivers. Shame, really shame since we will not keep (can’t afford him) Avril past this season.
    I know most of you don’t share my opinion to this situation but, I would trade Avril before the season starts for picks. I’d replace him with Mayowa , B. I. and, keep Jeffcoat.
    What would Ezra say : my two cents worth.

18. montanamike2 says:

I think STTBM is right about Rice being 6-2, and i’m not just saying that because he’s my homeboy.

19. montanamike2 says:

SaigonSun, couldn’t we stash Jeffcoat as a redshirt?

20. montanamike2 says:

On a more serious note: just 20 more days until i can buy Madden!

21. doubledink says:

Jeffcoat could be stolen from the PS if a team was willing to put him on their 53. A team seriously thin at LB could do that. How he performs in preseason would determine that. I think that would happen.

22. chuck_easton says:

Montana,

Saigon is thinking that Jeffcoat wouldn’t make it to the PS. I’m not sure he’s shown enough as a UDFA to think he’d be snatched up to some other team’s active roster.

He could always come down with a season ending hangnail between now and September final cuts.

23. Eh, my magazine must be wrong; NFL.com and Wikipedia list him at 6′-4″ tall. That’ll teach me to use Google instead of commenting in a big hurry….

Once again, Im being insulted by a Schoolkid who twists his words to make himself seem right all the time…hilarious!

Yup, Ive got my stats confused more than a few times lately, and owned up to it every single time. Too much stress at work and home, I swear my brain has become like a steel sieve instead of a steel trap lol!

24. montanamike2 says:

I think he’s 6-2, i really do.

25. montanamike2 says:

I guess i’m wrong too.

26. Nothing is set in stone, but I agree with Chuck that Lockette is in real danger of not making the team with his drops. Both Bates and Walters seem to be making plays, and now that Matthews is healthy he’s doing the same.

Also, we have no way of knowing if Jeffcoat or the others would clear waivers; we dont know how many UDFA offers he had, and there’s still the preseason, which should sort things out.

If Wolfe, Jeffcoat, etc kick butt in real games (preseason), there’s a good chance they dont clear waivers when cut.

I think Mike Morgan may be in danger of losing his spot to Horace Miller. I also think Coyle makes the team. But again, preseason will sort stuff out.

Man, I hope I can find the game on TV tomorrow night! Wish I was in Bozeman to catch the game with MontanaMike2!

27. MoSeahawk12 says:

Rice is about half a foot taller than Russell Wilson. I’ve seen him listed on many stat sheets at 6’4″. We know Wilson is a “tad” under 5’11”
    Wilson standing next to Baldwin they are the same height.
    I’m guessing Wilson is about 5’10” when I saw him up close.

28. wazzulander says:

Lockette has gotten a lot of mileage from being a good gunner, but those really shouldn’t be that hard to find. I’ve never heard him mentioned by the coaches as one of the “core” special teams guys who are valuable on both blocking and coverage units – like Farwell, Johnson, MikeRob, Coleman, Maragos, etc. I’m sure Shead or Bates or whoever could do just as good a job as a gunner.

29. MontanaMike2–Yeah, I could have sworn I read an article on him last year that said he was 6′-2″ but had long arms like a 6′-4″ guy…

One Combine Website had him listed at 6′ 3.4 inches, then rounded it to 6’4″…regardless, I got it wrong and admitted it. Man, this kind of senior moment is happening more often…I used to have such a great head for stats, I was like a human computer…Now I have to double-check everything or get it wrong half the time lol!

30. Ray_Maines says:

Here is a fun way to spend the next 17:40 of your morning.

Legion Of Boom – Every Big Hit.

31. Ray_Maines says:

Not that it matters exactly, but the video is 12:53 not the 17+ that I said above. Sorry.

32. montanamike2 says:

Slave, it won’t be on here until 11 PM. I’ll have to DVR it and watch it Friday morning.

Lol,
    Yankinta gets the post of the day award with his comment at 9:36am.

And I have to agree that he is 95% right on this one.

34. Southendzone says:

Sidney Rice height, per ESPN:

Per Pro Footabll Reference:

per CBS Sports

per Seahawks

All say he’s 6’4, I also have a call into Sid’s mom to see if she can weigh in on the subject.

35. Montanamike, Do you have Directv or cable? The game is also listed as live on ch149 on directv.. 149 is usually an On Demand channel so I’m interested in seeing what happens with that.

36. Then there’s the link Rbuzby posted. http://www.vipboxam.co/

37. South–I dont think you have to go that far lol! Mea Culpa, I was mistaken, and I admitted as much….

SYDNEY RICE IS 6′-4″ TALL AND I WAS WRONG!!

My brain is melting and operates like a steel sieve sometimes…

Everyone happy now lol?!

38. chuck_easton says:

I’m not happy…

Now what are we going to argue about to pass the time until tomorrow evening?

Oh, I know…Andrew Luck is considered a top five tier 1 QB by many football personnel guys! And Russell Wilson was only tier 2 and tied for 8th best QB.

Oh yeah, I went there! Let the fun begin.

Did I mention I’m busy with a huge project and won’t be back on here until Friday? :)

No we’re not happy that we have to constantly correct you.

Just slow down a bit & take some time to research. Especially if you are trying to make strong arguments.

Believe me, when you get middle aged your worst friend to trust is your memory.

40. Georgia–No one has to constantly correct me–hyperbole much?!

I should have checked the facts on his height. It bugs me that I had it wrong in my memory, thats for sure.

Im still waiting for MO to explain what exactly our line “led the league” in during the playoffs last year….

I suppose he meant rushing yards; I cant see giving them credit for blown pass pro where RW scrambled for yards, or when Lynch got hit behind the line. WHile the line was better run blocking in the playoffs, much of the credit is due to Lynch, not the line.

I’d be more worried about the logical fallacies some spew rather than analyze anything than someone mis-remembering someone’s height by two inches…

41. in other news, Cory Wolfe got cut a day after being signed. Lame.

Greg Herd caught on with another team. Cant remember who, it was on PFT.

Forsett is mentoring the offense in Baltimore on Kubiaks offensive scheme. Go Forsett!

I still remember what my mother said when I turned 40.

She said- “you know you are middle aged now.”

I didn’t really understand what she was trying to say then.

Now I do. Lol.

43. Georgia–Im pretty much there. On the plus side, I dont forget things I need for work as often as I did when I was younger; stress causes me more mental issues than aging. But man, I used to have a badass head for stats and figures, remember tons of passwords, quotes from articles…I had over 500 albums and could name all the songs, their track number, the year the album came out, all the lyrics…

I dont even pay attention to song titles anymore. My brain is full lol!

STTBM

Tell me what were some of those songs so I can mess with the lyrics.

You know, maybe start up some song parodies again?

Lol.

45. Hah, I would, but I cant remember…;p

46. MikeFromNewJersey says:

@yankinta.. I actually like the looks of Danny’s roster but the only thing that worries me about this team is the depth at NT spot. We pretty much have MeBane at nose and that’s it. Everybody else is either a 3 or 5 tech guy. I would only keep 9 OLine guys on my final roster and use that extra spot on a back up nose.

47. Skavage says:

Love the espn link on Kam. Made me smile. It’s those little gems like that, that bring me back to how much I love this game.

48. MoSeahawk12 says:

Rushing yards. Lynch gets most of the credit, but please don’t foolishly think he or any other running back in history can do that without line blocking. It’s not possible without at least competent play. Keep only looking at the stats without context and results in a vacuum. That’s not how football is played.

“Give me three songs”
    “Give me three songs Mr”
    “Give me three songs maybe more”

“Give me three songs”
    “Give me three songs Mr.”
    “And I won’t blog here no more.”

50. PLUHawkFan says:

I have a question? Why is it, that some feel the need to attack others so much on the blog lately? Does it make you feel better to point out someone else’s faults? Does it elevate your level of prognostication in your mind to proclaim being right 95% of the time?

What does it actually bring to our wonderful blog to point out someone else’s faults or honest simple mistakes? I’ll answer that last one, NOTHING!!! (except maybe a headache for some of us). There is nothing wrong in my humble opinion disagreeing with someone on a point, in fact doing so and stating facts brings a nice element to our discussions. But lets dispense with the personal attacks Please!!!

I’m not a very religious person, but I will quote an old Sunday School saying I remember from a child. Worry about the flipping plank sticking out of your eye, before you worry about the sliver in your neighbors eye.

I get that some posters can be annoying at times (or even most times). Honestly though the ones attacking those annoying posters, rather then just ignoring them are just making matters worse, and showing that they are just as bad. (My opinion of course)

Please, PLAY NICE! or just STHU.

51. Stats in a vacuum is what you are citing, Mo. When Lynch rushes for 100 yards, you give the line credit. Even though 80 of those yards are after contact. No other back in the NFL aside from perhaps AP could run for 1,000 yards with last years line.

Of course he cant do it alone, but despite the rushing yards, seattle’s line is just not that good–even at run blocking. And no one in their right mind would say they are even near average in pass pro.

Thank you for answering my question, though, I appreciate it.

Moving on to this years line, despite losing Bowie I am truly excited to see what shakes out. If Sweezy finally puts it together, and Carpenter does too, I think this line will be very, very good. Im just praying Winston beats Britt out so badly they HAVE to start him…..

52. Exactly PLUHawk. I enjoy discussing and arguing my opinions with those who bother to debate point by point. But being called stupid simply because I disagree or having my senior moment made a capital offense is rather annoying, and tends to get my dander up.

So does being labeled a troll simply because Im passionate about our nearly decade-long disaster of an offensive line.

“I was reading a thread”
    “that looked to be dead”
    “About a qb we all knew”
    “When in comes a post”
    “With the usual boast”
    “Talking about you know who”

“Hey Yankinta”
    “When you gonna bring us”
    “a former post or two”

“That says you were here”
    “And makes it perfectly clear”
    “That what you say about Wilson is true”

“Give us three posts”
    “Give us two posts Yanker”
    “Give us one post nothing more”

“Give us one post”
    “Just one post Yanker”
    “If you ever want to even the score”

“No more”

54. yankinta says:

yeah, I hear you. I worry about our Run Defense too. That’s the only thing that can stop this team from repeating…

Run D?

I can see that.
    Hopefully we will find out a little more about that before the season starts.

I miss me some big Red but I think/hope hope/think we will be alright.

56. SandpointHawk says:

Rice was 6’2″….Jerry Rice.

57. sluggo42 says:

Run defense will be better, hands down.

58. sluggo42 says:

Linebackers will be better with another year under their belt, K Williams is a beast. Big red wasn’t all that. Clem was good. I think Jordan Hill, and Scruggs make hay. It’s a strong rotation.

59. I think our run D will be phenomenal this year, even though we wont have Jesse Williams. Kevin Williams is turning out to be a prescient pickup, and I really like Mebane, Bennett, McD, and Scruggs,Mayowa,Avril and Hill. I also think Brooks has a shot to make the team.

I read an article on SI that said our LB corps wasnt elite. I would beg to differ. Wagner was better than Kuechly thier rookie year, and was still a fine player last year even though his play slipped a little and he was injured. And Malcolm Smith and KJ Wright were playing at an elite level during our playoff run. Irvin is underrated and a fiend in coverage. Together our LB corps is greater than the sum of their parts, and are elite. They have speed, smarts and toughness. And they are young…

I think our D is going to be absolutely epic, as long as they dont get too complacent, as they did last year vs Indy, TB, and Hou. I dont want to hear any more asinine talk from Sherm and ET that they are gonna hold teams to less than 100 yards passing…that ends up with you getting beat. Stop worrying about yards and take it a play at a time, a drive at a time, and we will dominate.

I agree about our linebackers.

I can’t wait to see how much better these young/fast/smart players will be with another year under their belt.

And they are playing for big contracts too.

Ok Sluggo/STTBM I’m not concerned anymore.

61. AZBubba71 says:

Each time that I read about the name Chris Matthews, I mentally picture the host of MSNBC’s Hardball running routes for the Seahawks…not pretty.

62. Yank – tell us what 5% you disagree with?

63. PLUHawkFan says:

xcman

Leave sleeping dogs lie. Please!

64. No I am actually curious as to what he fells will be different