Seahawks announce signings

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on July 29, 2014 at 9:48 am with 25 Comments »
July 29, 2014 9:48 am

From the team website:

The Seahawks have added a trio of players prior to their fourth practice of training camp.

Cornerback Terrell Thomas, offensive tackle Eric Winston, and wide receiver Randall Carroll have signed with the club. To make room on the team’s 90-man roster, wide receiver Taylor Price has been placed on the reserve/injured list and cornerback Chandler Fenner and offensive guard Bronson Irwin have been waived.

The 6-foot-1, 191-pound Thomas is being reunited with his college coach. The veteran cornerback, who played for Pete Carroll at the University of Southern California, was a second-round pick by the New York Giants in 2008 who played all 16 games for the club last season after sitting out 2011 and 2012 with knee injuries. He had a career-best season in 2010 with 101 tackles and five interceptions after posting 85 tackles and five interceptions in 2009.

“I’m so thankful for the Seattle Seahawks giving me an opportunity to continue my dream,” Terrell tweeted. “Can’t wait to hit the field with my new teammates.”

Winston, an eight-year veteran who is currently the president of the NFL Players Association, spent his first six years in the League with the Houston Texans before joining the Kansas City Chiefs (2012) and Arizona Cardinals (2013). He’s found success along the offensive line, starting every game since the 2007 season. He’ll look to join the competition at right tackle with rookie Justin Britt and second-year pro Michael Bowie, who has been sidelined with a shoulder injury since Friday’s practice.

“Season finally starts for me today!” Winton tweeted Tuesday morning. “Looking forward to chasing a ring with the Seahawks!! Time go to work!”

Carroll signed a free agent contract with the Minnesota Vikings earlier this year after spending time as a cornerback at Sul Ross State and three seasons as a wideout at UCLA, where he caught 21 passes.

1. joeradio says:

Winston has been a steady start for several years. Of course…he did get posterized by our very own Kam Chancellor.

Boo-yah!

GO HAWKS!

Here’s to hoping Winston’s technique improves considerably under Cable. :-)

2. Wow, Seattle is no longer messing around about finding a quality starter at RT and protecting RW!

Too bad they didn’t bring him in last year or the year before…

Finally, Always Compete is applied to RT!

Let the best player win!

3. tchristensen says:

Maybe Michael Bowie’s injury is worse than they thought.

4. jawpeace says:

Bowie injury is worse than than they thought is one thought. I was thinking that with Bowie out that the third string now second string is not showing enough. So being an area of concern they went and got Winston who is better than our third string tackle and has a shot to challenge for a starting spot.

5. jchawks08 says:

Sorry if I missed it, but was Winston waived by the Texans? Why? Sounds like a very solid veteran, which sounds wonderful to me, but what’s his deal? Just wondering why he’s now a ‘Hawk.

6. McCoy went down at camp, Carroll says he thinks its his Achilles and it doesn’t look good.

7. jawpeace says:

Saw McCoy down and the trainers working on his Achilles. I hope it is just scar tissue popping which does not feel good, but is not serious.

8. chuck_easton says:

Wish the best for McCoy, but fortunately he was fighting for the #3 TE spot and there are others that can and will step up.

Poor guy is snake bit. Second year in a row he comes down with a potential season ending injury in Camp.

9. yankinta says:

wow,, too bad,, at least McCoy’s contract has some guarantees in it. I was hoping he would not be on Roster (he’s soft) but not like this…. hope he recovers and Jaguars pick him up…

10. jawpeace says:

Dave Bolin, or anyone else, Hawks often set precedents. I was wondering about another possible unprecedented, first time ever in the NFL. Has any team ever had all three QB’s on the final roster being African American? Not one white guy at the QB position, I can’t think of any other team. If it is a first and I think it is, it is pretty cool!

Like Duke said on the last thread Pryor looked good today.

12. RDPoulsbo says:

You mean another prediction from the yankster isn’t looking so good?

RDPoulsbo,, BJ still has a future with us. He’ll be on P-Squad again this year. Obviously BJ beat out Kieth Price. T-Jack will not be here next season,, and Pryor will not be either. BJ should be our backup QB next year…. I’ll call you out then, :)

13. yankinta says:

jawpeace,, I really hope we don’t carry 3 QB’s on Roster. It’s such a waste,, when we can protect/carry a young DE or DT with that roster spot….

Still hoping T-Jack plays well and getting traded during pre-season (following a QB injury, there’s always one every year).. :)

14. chuck_easton says:

Listening to the Interview Schneider did with Clayton it is sounding like the team is ready to move on with Michael.

Lynch isn’t getting a new deal. He has a choice, come to camp and make that 5.5M this year, hold out and owe the team money, or retire (and owe the team money).

15. tchristensen says:

Kind of appears that Pryor has moved ahead of Tarvaris. Any thoughts?

16. yankinta says:

RDPoulsbo,, dude I was talking about 2015, when I said next year… afterall, I just posted that last month…. SMH…

17. RDPoulsbo says:

That does suck about McCoy. I’m really hoping we see more production at TE this year with an improved o-line. Hopefully, these guys can stay healthy.

18. jawpeace says:

I actually agree with you Yank. I would rather have a roster spot be used else where instead of the third QB. But it looks like that scenario is a real possibility.
    As far as trading T. Jack I like him as our back up to RW. If RW ever goes down I feel like TJ can fill in well.

19. LarryLee says:

I’m hoping Pryor make the team. His raw skills are eye catching and he could be a late bloomer. The Seahawks could be a really nice fit for him to improve

tchristensen – If today is any indication, you’re right. TP got twice the reps in the team portion than Jackson.

21. LarryLee says:

I hope Beast Mode can “Read The Tea Leaves” and come back in. I don’t see the Hawks caving on this issue. Maybe if he comes back in they could add some incentives so both sides could benefit. Love the guy but see the Hawks point.

22. jawpeace says:

Yes TP got most of the second reps today. But that is not unusual for a PC camp. He often rotates back ups further up the depth chart to see what they can do against the better players.

23. RDPoulsbo says:

3rd string QB is the most overrated position in the NFL. A guy sitting there isn’t being groomed to become a starter and the only time he ever sniffs the field is when the team has an epic meltdown and staring at 1-15 seasons, in which case there’s inevitably a regime change.

I really don’t care if he’s on the 53 man roster or the PS. all that really matters is whether or not he can run the scout offense at practice.

24. RD–Im not sure PC and JS look at the position that way, and thats why they dont usually carry three qb’s. If the guy doesnt have the potential in their eyes to be a good backup or starter, they arent interested. In Pryors case, I think they feel he can be a good backup for a long time, and so are (possibly) willing to carry him as a third qb for a year, as long as he shows improvements in technique continually…

25. hawksqb3 says:

Great signings! I was wondering when Winston would get picked up by someone. We can use his experience and extra insurance on he right side. Furthermore, if Okung goes down again we’ve now got more options. Also, like the Thomas signing. He was pretty damned good in NY when healthy. I know nothing about the WR, but I’m sure he’s just an extra body for practice. He has zero chance of making this team, or the practice squad for that matter.

I’m curious about the backup QB spot. Seems like it’s Pryor’s to lose. Would be hard to cut that kind of young talent.