News, notes and quotes: Day 3 of training camp

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 27, 2014 at 2:48 pm with 52 Comments »
July 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Good afternoon.

We received some injury updates today.

> Percy Harvin was back and full-go today. “We just want to work our way into camp in a mode to make sure we don’t overload him early,” Pete Carroll said. “(We’re) trying to figure out what kind of a workload he can handle.”

> RB Christine Michael “banged” his shoulder, according to Carroll. He sat out the second half of practice, but Carroll said Michael should be ready for practice Tuesday.

> Rookie wide receiver Kevin Norwood has a sore foot, which has been bothering him since OTAs. Carroll said they decided to rest him until Tuesday to see if that makes him feel better. “He had an old surgery in high school and we have checked it all out. There are no big concerns with it, but he does have a sore foot, so we are resting him,” Carroll said.

> DT Jimmy Staten was out because of a hyperextended knee and pulled hamstring.

> Carroll said left tackle Russell Okung (foot) is about two weeks from returning.

> DT Jesse Williams’ time off yesterday was just that. Carroll said they were resting him and that he looked great his first day out.

> All of the other surgery folks — Kam Chancellor, Malcolm Smith, Bruce Irvin — remained out.

> The contract for linebacker K.J. Wright is up at the end of this season, and there is some thought the Seahawks may try to extend him during or shortly after training camp. When reminded his contract is coming to an end and asked if he thinks about it, Wright laughed. “Nope. Not at all. I’m going to come out here and just do my job every day. If they want me, they’ll find a way to keep me here, and if not, I’m going to play my hardest for the team and when it comes down to it, we’ll see what happens. That’s something I’m not focused on at all. I’m just worried about practicing and getting back to the Super Bowl.” Wright said there was no discussion with the team about a new contract over the summer.

> Jeremy Lane appears a near-lock as the full-time nickel corner. “I’m approaching camp with an attitude like ownership,” Lane said. “I’ve got to own that spot. I feel like I’ve got a fair opportunity this time, I’m the first one up, all I’ve got to do is own it.” Lane wants to improve on making the catch when his interception opportunities come. “I’ve got to work on my hands and make them a  little bit better.” Also, Lane was a coverage beast last year on special teams, which is a role he’s hoping to replicate. “I plan on dominating on special teams.”

> We saw one defensive line today with, from left to right, Jackson Jeffcoat, Brandon Mebane, Greg Scruggs and Benson Mayowa.

> Another day, another “sack” for Cliff Avril. He looks dynamic.

> A man who appears a blog favorite, rookie fullback Kiero Small — he makes a fire hydrant look lanky — thumped rookie linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis today. The pads were on, so the intensity was increased.

> Harvin beat Earl Thomas on a go route for a touchdown.

> Doug Baldwin temporarily came out of practice to get looked at, but returned.

> Russell Wilson tried to hit a fade on Richard Sherman which Sherman tipped up and Jeron Johnson nearly picked. Sherman joked he may just catch it next time and he’s unsure why Wilson dares try him on fades.

> The first few days of camp have been good ones for former Duke tight end Cooper Helfet. He’s making catches when thrown to and seems up to speed with the offense.

> Marshawn Lynch continued his holdout.

Links:

> Our photo gallery from Day 2 of camp.

> I wrote about the young leadership for the Seahawks.

> Danny O’Neil writes at 710 ESPN writes about right tackle Justin Britt.

> The Everett Herald says expectations are nothing new to the Seahawks.

> Robert Klemko of MMQB says enjoy 2014, because things will never be the same.

> A photo gallery of Day 3 of camp from Seahawks.com.

> Michael Robinson is getting help from Lynch and Wilson to inspire students.

> One person who is on board with Lynch’s holdout? Frank Gore.

> No more offense or special teams for Patrick Peterson. He’s being moved to the reserve punt returner.

And, lastly, this will be my final post (other than some transcripts later). As some of you discussed in the comments a bit back, I am leaving the News Tribune to move to Washington, D.C., where I will be pro sports enterprise writer for the Washington Times, writing about the Redskins, Nationals, Wizards and Capitals. Thanks for reading, take care and enjoy the coming season.

1. Good luck out there Todd, thanks for the coverage. That is a pretty bad paper you are going to, but at least you will be working for the best part of it. Sports!

2. jawpeace says:

Thanks Todd for your time here feeding us crazy Hawk fans. And now it is time to read many of the links you provided.

3. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks Todd…

4. vichawkfan says:

Thanks Todd, good luck in DC

5. Singularitarian says:

nice man, good luck

6. seahawksteven777 says:

Thanks for all that you’ve done, Todd. I wish you well in your new gig. Just wondering but who’ll be taking over the blog with you departing? Haven’t heard much about that.

Jeffcoat was on the strong side? That is surprising to me.

And Small “thumped” Pierre-Louis in what, on-on-ones, 7 on 7, an actual full play…?

And Cooper Helfet always seems to get positive reports during camp but never seems to make any noise in pre-season games. Perhaps it’s simply limited opportunities he get, but that’s interesting to me.

Todd, good luck in DC. It never felt like you really ever “settled in” here, for whatever reason. So hopefully the DC opportunity will inspire you to jump in and take total ownership of it. Cheers.

8. Thanks Todd! Best of luck to you in the other Washington.

9. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Good luck Todd you will be missed… Another one bites the dust!

10. Singularitarian says:

one question about the Lynch deal: If he get’s fined 900k on Tuesday does that go back onto the salary cap?

11. mkelly534 says:

The News Tribune seems to supply half the Nations Sports Writers.Always seems like the writers of this blog go on to Big things. Good Luck Todd and enjoy writing about those dysfunctional teams in D.C.

12. Norwood could be this year’s redshirt candidate.

Sorry to see Todd go also. It’s a tough business as this line from Wikipedia says

“The Washington Times has lost money every year that it has been in business. By 2002, the Unification Church had spent about $1.7 billion subsidizing the Times.”

Singularitarian – I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking, but fines have no relation to the cap. So, if you’re asking does the dollar amount Lynch is fined somehow increase Seattle’s cap space, or effect it in any way, the answer in no. (But you might be asking something different…)

14. Best wishes Todd…

Thank you pab, I was about to make a similar pint regarding Todd’s move in relation to Eric, Sando, and Clayton.

16. good luck at the new gig Todd. appreciated your work here.

17. Southendzone says:

Adios Todd,

Glad you were here for the superbowl season. Thanks for running the show and good luck in dc

18. SaigonSun says:

Todd, good luck in DC .

19. AZBubba71 says:

KJ Wright delivering a not so subtle (though possibly unintended) message to Lynch…love it! That is how you go about your business as a professional athlete.

Have always liked Jeremy Lane…he is a tough, little, shite. Expecting big things from him this year. One of my favorite Hawks.

20. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Who is replacing Todd??

@AZBubba – I agree with you about Lane, he’s another tough SOB..

21. A movtivated Avril playing for a new contract. He’s going to be a monster again this season.

As much as I like KJ, if I had to choose between the two – I’d with Avril (not that they have to choose – they may sign neither, or may sign both). That being said, the pass rusher is always going to earn higher dollars than the LB who doesn’t get to the QB (or isn’t Lewis, Urlacker, etc. in the middle).

22. seahawkNJ says:

Best of luck Todd. Thanks for running the blog.

23. jawpeace says:

I remember LJ senior season as a Duck he hurt his arm. I believe it was by dislocating his elbow. He was back after only missing a few games. So I would not expect him to miss too long as he is a tough guy. But the 49ers depth behind Gore is taking a hit early.

24. Todd Dybas says:

Thanks, folks.

Duke — it was 7-on-7.

— Todd

25. Good luck Todd, Next man up. Who wants to cover a NFL team on the road to a dynasty!! GO HAWKS

26. Screensmoke says:

Nothing personal but you really did stink- Glad your moving on! be nice to have a writer who actually is a fan of the hawks with some NorthWest ties.

27. chuck_easton says:

Screen smoke,

First off entirely inappropriate post.

Second off this blog has NEVER been run by a writer who is/was a fan of the Seahawks.

If I want all homerism all the time I can go read Farnsworth on Seahawks.com.

28. PLUHawkFan says:

Some people feel safe behind their supposed internet anonymity. It always boggles my mind what people will say on the internet. 99% of them wouldn’t dare to say to the exact same thing to someones face. If they did, they would learn quickly the old saying. If you don’t have anything nice to say keep it to yourself.

SMH.

29. Thanks TD. I enjoyed the blog while you were here..

30. tealskin says:

Thanks for holding down the fort Todd. From the Hawks to DC. Somehow doesn’t seem like a promotion. All the best.

31. PLUHawkFan says:

It’s okay to disagree with the thoughts or opinions expressed by other people. However, that doesn’t give you the right to deny any sense they might make. Nor does it give you a right to bash or degrade them just because you disagree and it makes you feel better to degrade their opinions.

Glad you finally get to do some hockey Todd.

Good luck.

33. Good luck Todd. I enjoyed your snarky sense of humor but I will miss your game day posts the most. Cheers!

34. Screensmoke says:

Who cares! I thought he sucked.Nothing personal here. Just my opinion. Get a grip. I’m just being honest. He sucked and some people apparently thought he was great! Ok great.chuck I could care less what u think.

chuck_easton – If you ever read one sentence of Farnsworth when he was with the PI (and I’m confident you did) then you’d know damn well he wasn’t a “homer”. But of course when the Seahawks sign your check, your perspective changes.

Thanks Todd for the limited clarification.

36. HawkfaninMT says:

@duke: I believe the salary cap implications come from the idea that once Lynch missed the 5th practice he forfeits some of his initial signing bonus. I don’t believe it’s considered a fine per se. So I could see the possibility of it being returned to the cap, however remote.

37. HawkfaninMT says:

And congrats Todd!

Now that you have signed off, who is next?

38. sluggo42 says:

Best to ya Todd, thanks for everything mate!

39. DanielleMND says:

K.J. Wright is a vastly underpaid player compared to his production. Yet he’s in camp instead of staying home and whining about not being respected.

40. Ray_Maines says:

I’ve been reading blogs from other cities and the mood just isn’t the same elsewhere. We’re really lucky right here and right now. Embrace this wonderful, magical moment. Wring every last drop of enjoyment out of this next few weeks. We’re all looking forward to a 19-0 season but we just don’t know what’s around the corner. Love it while it’s here.

Everybody in every city is optimistic, everybodies draft class is headed for Clanton and every team is undefeated but things just aren’t the same in Green Bay, Philadelphia or St. Louis. The natives are really restless in D.C. and Dallas. The two beatdowns the Seahawks put on Denver last year seems to have affected the psyche of Bronco fans.

I love it. Go ‘Hawks!

41. montanamike2 says:

Thanks Todd, good luck in your career and i hope DC is only another stop until you get to your dream job.

42. Ewalters7354 says:

I haven’t been.hearing anything about Paul Richardson these past few days.Maybe he’s gotta get up to speed?

KJ Wright is definitely underrated but I too would take Cliff Avril over him.Really have a feeling he’s gonna explode for about 15sacks.

Just sayin…

43. confucious says:

Best of luck Todd. Thanks for your efforts.

44. Ray_Maines says:

P-Rich might have to get up to weight, but he sure doesn’t have to get up to speed.

45. Ray_Maines says:

And goodbye, Todd. Best wishes to you in your future.

46. seatowntp says:

Todd, thank you for all the work that you did supplying us ravenous Seahawks fans with information. I greatly appreciate your efforts. I hope that you fully enjoy your experience in DC.

47. jchawks08 says:

Good luck to you, Todd. I enjoyed your sarcastic sense of humor. Seems like you provided fresh content every single day. I thought you were great.
    Screensmoke, stay classy, dude.

I too am curious who’s next up.

48. Southendzone says:

Qualifying direct insults with “Nothing Personal” doesn’t make them any better.

“You Stink’ and “he sucked” are not the way to go about making your displeasure know.

You come off like a total ass in both of your comments and it’s surprising that you think it’s OK to throw insults around at someone who’s never done the same to you, on his last day here.

49. I thought Todd did a nice job. I was fine with how he ran the blog, and I wish him well.

Its funny, I thought he was going to work for the Washington Post, not the Washington Times. The Post is well-respected, the Times…not so much. A paper subsidized by Right Wing Christian MegaChurches sounds pretty hinky to me…Hope it works out for him.

On another note, I never did get any swag from TNT for winning the Seahawks Draft Guesser Contest….Ah well, Im sure Todd would have had to pay for the stuff himself.

50. None of the writers have ever chased me from reading this blog – commentors – yeah more than a little

51. “Harvin beat Earl Thomas on a go route for a touchdown.” Wow! Makes me wonder how many times we will hear that during the season

TD, wish you all the best in your next gig! You did great here, that is why they want you there. And the Times is the better of the two papers – I really hope you enjoy it. Have you seen the cost of housing there yet? OMG! My niece bought an ancient brownstone row house about 8 years ago there for $.5M and had to put half again that much into fixing it up – across the street from the projects, or just a short run to the underground. I still call the “Wizards” the “Bullets”, and when they change the “Redskins” to the “Robbins” I will probably keep calling them “Redskins”, but you won’t be able to! The Post will probably jumpstart it by calling them their different name before Snyder ever agrees to it. That’s the Post. And I am a Native American living in Indian country (on the rez,) so it’s not like I care much for the name Redskins, it’s just that sports teams in DC have to have the most boring PC names in whatever sports you will have to cover. Oh well, wish you the very best there! And remember: “Work to live, don’t live to work!” Come back to this Washington when you get tired of that one!