Seahawks training camp roster and projected 53 man

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm with 53 Comments »
July 24, 2014 8:01 pm

With camp opening, here’s who will be there with a projection of who will stay there.

Players projected to make team are in bold. The Seahawks open camp with 88 players under contract.

Number of players to be retained at each position in parentheses.

Fire away with your projections in the comments.

Quarterbacks (3)

Dion Bailey

Eric Pinkins

Specialists (3)

K Stephen Hauschka

P Jon Ryan

LS Clint Gresham

1. Todd–Nice job getting things rolling again. Lots of posts today! Its appreciated!

2. I think Ware gets canned, and we keep Kiero Small. I think Bronson kicks ass in preseason and ends up on another teams active roster. I agree we’ll keep 3 qb’s this year.

And I admit I have no clue right now which WR will nab the sixth spot. I havent seen anything from Matthews, Price, Presley or Smith. I hope a couple guys end up on the PS.

I think McCoy makes the team rather than the new guy.

I think Gilliam makes the team and Hauptman gets the axe. I think Kevin Williams gets cut, and Hill makes the team. Im hoping Jeffcoat either makes the team or the PS.

I think Bailey beats out Parks, or at least makes the PS. But I could be wrong lol!

Otherwise, right on Cruton!

3. I’m expecting big things from Jordan Hill this year. The burst he demonstrated off the ball last year, as a rookie, reminds me of Mebane (now and when he was a rookie). I think he sticks.

I hope Biggie Smalls makes the team over Ware. Ware is a jack of all trades type of guy (master of none), whereas Biggie has the chance to be a bowling ball you don’t want to get in front of with respect to him being a lead blocker.

Lastly, I am kind of pulling for Lockette for one more year because you simply cannot find ST players like him on any street corner or reserve role.

Lastly, I know Lane sticks this year but feel confident that most Seahawk fans rank him better than he is. I think he’s best suited for ST, not in the nickel. I like him as a #4 CB, but that’s it. He scares me as a #2 or #3 CB. I’d love to be proven wrong though.

4. Here is another compilation of 49er fans crying. With opera music. You have all seen most of these. But this stuff never gets old.

5. This is for BobbyK from the last thread;

Without Lynch, the Seahawks see how vulnerable Wilson is and we get squeaked out of the playoffs. With Lynch, Wilson becomes a MVP candidate and the Seahawks repeat as champions. 8:51pm pst 6/24/14

6. I also predict the Hawks organization realizes this and find a way to appease the Beast, some way, some how.

7. Ray_Maines says:

Wow, tough choices. I don’t exactly agree with all of those, but can’t really argue. Maybe Hill over J Williams on the D-Line, maybe not Caylin Hauptmann on the O-Line, the last TE and FB spots are open for debate. Time will tell. Go ‘Hawks!

Also interesting is who might get picked up after other teams make some cuts.

8. Southendzone says:

Changes from Todd’s projection:

Lockette or maybe Bates beats out Matthews

Only 2 qbs, thinking pryor but dont know

Hill over williams on d. Line

Gilliam over Hauptman

With extra spot from qb, 1 more DL.. maybe Jeffcoat if he shines in camp

9. I think if it comes down to it, Seattle will keep Hill over Scruggs. But I think Williams will be the odd man out, especially with his salary being high (comparatively).

10. Bobbyk–I also think Lane is better outside, but he’s skinny and they want a Browner-type Beast opposite Sherm; Simon is that guy. Im looking forward to watching Lane in the slot, I think he will play better than Thurmond, so Im excited. I love the kids badass attitude, he really attacks the WR!

11. TruBlue – The only post I made from 6/24 was this:

“BobbyK
    June 24, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I don’t think the DL will be better but it may perform better due to an offense that will score more points. I think there’s a significant drop from Tony McDaniel to Red Bryant. We also don’t have Clem, although he wasn’t the Clem we’d been used to (at least until, understandably, later in the year). Bennett isn’t playing for his contract, so his motor may have gone from 100% to 99.5% (which is still great, but any let up in the NFL is noticeable). Some of these guys like McDaniel, Mebane, and Bennett aren’t at ages where they are going to continue to improve either. A lot of my faith for improvement is from Jordan Hill but we’ll have to see. I’m happy that Williams has been doing well, but I really expected Hill would be that break-out player and maybe he will be.

I also agree that it was nice to watch the Super Bowl and watch total domination but moving into 2014 everyone starts the same again. Nobody has lots of major injuries and everyone is 0-0. When we beat the Broncos – the Broncos had lost about half of their defense from November on, whereas we were about as healthy as possible.

Now, sometimes I think you create your own luck and by having such a young roster makes it easier to have healthy players, where a more veteran team (like Ruskell would assemble) is obviously going to be more prone to injury.

With all that being said – I wouldn’t trade our roster with anyone else in the NFL. Wow – that’s a cool feeling to have going into a season!”

I will agree/admit (and have) that Lynch has been an important part of this organization for some years now. However, you do not pay someone for past performance. An obiously overexaggerated example is that the SF Giants pay more to some clown like Brandon Belt than they do to Willie Mays. We all know Mays is better, but Belt helps them more now.

The fact that Michael is in his second year, Turbin his third, and Wilson is now a veteran QB with a SB under his belt… this team does NOT need Lynch the way it used to. Sure, Lynch helps, but not to the point of giving him what he wants…

I simply disagree that Lynch should be paid in the future for what he thinks he deserves based on past performances.

12. SeventiesHawksFan says:

I don’t believe that McDaniel will be a drop off from Bryant at all. Bryant’s was consistently unable to seal the edge through several games last year and it was really due to improved linebacker play and gap control that shored up the run and covers for Bryant often getting beaten at the edge.

I am baffled br predictions that Jordan Hill will be cut. He has both burst AND excellent use of hands from the interior spot. the only other player with that combination of actually developed qualities qualities from the interior is Bennett. Do we already forget our third down struggles from the season prior to last? Which were in large part due to lack of interior pass rusher when Jason Jones was lost for the season. if Bennett were to be lost to injury Jordan Hill seems our best third down insurance policy.

I also don’t think we’ll keep Pryor. Only one year of club control makes it a waste of a roster spot that can be used for a true red shirt player a la Mayowa last year.

I also think Coleman takes a roster spot that can be devoted to a developmental / red shirt player if Ware proves his equal in camp.

13. WiscCory says:

“I think Ware gets canned, and we keep Kiero Small.”

Slave and Bobby, I’d like to see Small make the team, too.

14. WiscCory says:

“I also don’t think we’ll keep Pryor”

I agree. Too many other options for that roster spot.

I still don’t understand that trade, unless Jackson had some type of injury concern we weren’t privy to.

The Rice retirement makes me want to consider the Pryor to WR conversation again. Although, that’s just us bloggers talking…

15. SeventiesHawksFan says:

I also believe that the team will find a quiet and face saving way to make an exception for and appease Marshawn. They won’t care if he misses the first couple weeks of camp but before the cut down to 53 the matter will be settled and old news.

16. WiscCory

The Seahawks gave up almost nothing for Pryor. Obviously there was nobody they wanted more than Pryor with one of the last picks in the draft.

You should post a link to your blog so we can read it.

17. jawpeace says:

I also have Small over Ware.
    Hill over Monstar’s and his weak knees.
    Only two Qb’s 2nd spot going to guaranteed salary of Jackson.
    Mccoy over Allen at TE.
    Jeffcoat making the team.

18. I am not baffled by the Pryor trade (giving up a 7th rounder for him).

We all know T-Jack is going to be the primary back-up THIS season (and Pryor is going to ride the pine as a probable third-stringer).

However, NEXT season there are no guarantees. If they deem Pryor can do it… they are getting a back-up QB with NFL starting experience at a minimum cost (whereas T-Jack would cost well North of a million to be a back-up).

I think it was a great trade, even if the Hawks only get a primary back-up QB for a year or two at minimal cost.

19. FleaFlicker says:

A few names under that cut line that I’ll be disappointed to see moving on if they do in fact get cut:
    Eric Pinkins (love the physical traits)
    Jordan Hill (a lot of promise before getting hurt)
    Kiero Small (a more roly-poly version of Mike Alstott maybe)
    Heath Farwell (dude just plays with heart)

This kind of analysis makes me really appreciate Todd’s objectivity as a reporter versus what some of us want him to be (i.e. more of a “hometown” columnist). Good reminder that no matter how much as fans we may fall in love with individual players and personalities, the hard decisions made by the staff will be ruthless and dispassionate.

20. PLUHawkFan says:

rubuzby;

Seriously give it up on the blogger nonsense. I’ll post definition I hit you with on previous thread.
    Blogging: Blogging is the act of posting content on a blog (a Web log or online journal) or posting comments on someone else’s blog.

Notice the “end” of that definition. If we are blogging then, regardless if it’s someone else’s blog, that makes us a Blogger.

If you don’t want to call yourself a blogger so be it, you don’t have to push your personal definition off on the rest of us though.

21. mquinn73 says:

Thanks, Todd.

On board with your projections that:
    We keep Pryor
    Ware & Coleman > Small
    RaShaun Allen > Anthony McCoy

However, I also think that:
    Schilling > Hauptmann
    Taylor Price > Chris Matthews
    Jordan Hill > Jesse Williams or Benson Mayowa
    Bailey or Pinkins > Parks

Does Kevin Pierre-Louis beat out both of Heath Farwell and O’Brien Schofield? I’m not sure that we don’t find a way to keep one of those guys around.

Overall impressions are that this team is really deep in places (we all knew that, of course!) but I still think we are exposed at WR if Harvin picks up an injury and OLB (not convinced that Smith or Irvin are true everydown, everyday guys like Wagner and KJ).

However, I absolutely expect a real improvement in our OL play – on paper, that unit just looks stronger than last season – Jeanpierre has proven that he can do a job, Sweezy has an extra year of experience, Bailey & Bowie have the potential to be starters in this league, and Cable is high on Britt and a rejuvenated, fitter Carpenter.

Repeat? Absolutely no reason why not.

I think Ware will surprise some folks.

Looks like Lynch is throwing a bone to his pal M Rob while looking for one himself.
    I hope he gets the bonus part of his contract now after the F.O. has made it pretty much impossible for him to get it.
    I think that would pretty much make things good.
    Lynch I think will honor his contract so long as the F.O. will do the same.

Missing camp is no big deal. Lynch doesn’t need the extra wear & tear.
    And it’s great for the backups to get more reps.

Imagine if Rice didn’t have all those injuries-

23. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

A team and the player can’t just change the terms of the contract at will.

The only way they could give Lynch that 2 million bonus that is in next year’s contract would be to tear up this contract and start over.

So, start with the 3 million from the original 6 million signing bonus coming due immediately. Then add on that 2 million bonus that you want them to move from 2015 to 2014.

Then add on Lynch’s 5.5 Million salary.

To give Lynch that extra 2 million this season the team’s Cap hit goes from 7M to 10.5 M this year.

I know the team wants to make Lynch happy. But the only way to do that is to tear up the contract. Give Lynch a low salary this season. Give Lynch a big signing bonus and extend the years.

Any other way will increase the salary cap this season and would make the dead money for next season climb.

If the team really is ready to move on with Michael I don’t see why they would do this.

Chuck

No good reason not to extend. Lynch is just one year older than Charles at 28.

Contrary to popular belief running backs can be very productive around 30.

Riggins had more career yards after 30.
    Smith is the all time yards leader & he said Lynch is better then he was.

We’re not talking Alexander here.

25. MikeFromNewJersey says:

It looks like another solid 53 man roster but injuries always have a way of shuffling the deck…The one position that seems to worry me every year is back up nose tackle. We don’t really have one listed above. We have been very fortunate that Mebane has stayed healthy the last couple of years but who is his backup? I guess Jesse Williams. I would hate to have him miss sometime and us get chewed up on the ground because he’s out without a solid replacement..
    I would like to keep another big body on the DLine and dump the third string QB. No need for Pryor to be on the roster wasting a space.
    I also don’t think we need 6 wr’s. I would keep Heath Farwell around as the 7th LB over ther 6th wr.

26. SandpointHawk says:

GeorgiaHawk, thanks for the link to the article about Sidney Rice, good read.

27. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

I agree with you IF the team really intends to continue with Lynch for another 3 to 4 years. Then by all means extend him.

But that also means that Michael plays out his entire rookie contract as a backup. Seems like a waste of a 2nd round pick to have him sit on the bench for 4 or 5 years only to lose him to another team as soon as his contract is up.

But I much prefer Lynch as the starter.

28. confucious says:

Pryor would be good to keep on the practice squad if nothing else. He would be useful as a kappernick clone to help our defense learn to stop the qb run. Remember that only one amazing play stood between winning and losing the NFC championship.

29. Lynch has the most postseason playoff TDs of 25+ yards in NFL history. He has 4 and the next highest is 2.

30. PREDICTION CHALLENGE
    (Where are you Yankinta?)

Who will be the next breakout star (Pro Bowl or All Pro level) on the Seahawks? Name one name, 4th round pick or lower. Bragging rights are at stake.

31. Southendzone says:

Chuck,

If they did what you suggest, they don’t have to add those #’s to this year’s salary because since they rip up the original contract, this year could be low base.

Eventually we will take the hit, but his 5.5M 2014 base goes away too.

Yeah giving him 2M more costs us someday but not necessarily in 2014.

Chuck

I think the FO could find a way to extend Lynch plus increase CMs reps without breaking the bank & wasting CMs talent on the bench.

Sandpoint-
    I wasn’t a huge fan of Rice at first but it was his absence that finally convinced me how important he was to our passing game.

Darn injuries.

33. yankinta says:

Rubydog,, lol that’s easy….. Byron Maxwell of course…. I think he could become Pro Bowl alternate this year… But I like Simon and Luke as well but they’re further down…maybe next year…. :)

I’ve been saying a lot about Lynch for the past 2-3 months… don’t wanna get into again but I’ll say this,, Soooo looking forward to see what Christine Micheal does this year!!

34. yankinta says:

Man,, it seems like this Pete/JS led FO is on the same page with YankinTa a lot,, like always,, :)

“The Seahawks have resisted due to concerns that giving a player a new contract with two years left on his current agreement would set a bad precedent”

Of course, pay no attention to the entire article,, it’s written by Hawks Hater Florio….smh..

35. MoSeahawk12 says:

pay no attention to yank….done. Great advice

36. MikeFromNewJersey says:

Eric Pinkins

Specialists (3)
    K Stephen Hauschka
    P Jon Ryan
    LS Clint Gresham

37. wazzulander says:

I really can’t see “Money” Lynch walking away from 6 million. The front office has almost all the leverage, unless Michaels just completely sucks or gets hurt in the pre-season. Don’t forget, Percy will most likely be getting some carries from the backfield too this year.

38. Southendzone says:

100% agree with u wazzu. Marshawn feels the end of his career coming and wants to maximize his $ for the rest of his life. Leaving $6M on the table just doesn’t jive with that.

However I still think the Hawks should work with him so both sides can look like they won something. I wouldn’t want a pissed off Marshawn reporting the day before season begins just to get his 5M.

Really I wouldn’t want to deal with a pissed off #24 under any circumstances, which is exactly why we want him on the team.

39. MoSeahawk12 says:

Who knows, maybe posing nude in the ESPN Body Issue enticed Lynch to become a model full time and walk away from football. Kidding.

I’m still firmly in the camp that I don’t see this thing dragging on more than a few weeks. Middle of August at worst. Even though this team has a ton of talent, we still do need Marshawn. I know many have expressed confidence in Turbo and Michael and I think they could do pretty well. They do not have the same talent level as Marshawn. Nice backs and will help win games, but not going to make the D lose sleep.

Marshawn is a special player though. A rare, tough back that never takes the easy way out. Go back and watch the two playoff games against the Saints and 9ers. He destroyed a very good Saints D with about 140 yards and two TDs. He then pounded the 9ers becoming the first back all season to go over 100 against them. Not sure if we win that game and advance to the Superbowl without Lynch, especially being down 10-0 early. They stayed with the run and Marshawn delivered body blow after body blow and broke a long run late. He is a difference maker.

40. NFLN visiting Hawks Camp at 10am..

41. Macabrevity says:

Interesting list Todd… it’s anyone’s guess, but I really have a strong feeling that Jordan Hill will make the squad, and Lockette has a distinct advantage over the bruised up Matthews as he can make a contribution without beating anyone out. As far as personal preferences, I’d like to see an OT like Gilliam make it, don’t know anything about him other than there have been a lot of superlatives describing him and I try to force myself to be optimistic when it comes to our O-line, since I’m fairly convinced Okung can’t play a whole season.

42. Mo–Well said. “He is a difference maker”…truer words were never spoken.

43. yankinta says:

Yup Yup,, I disagree with Todd about Jordan Hill. I bet he makes the team. But I totally agree about McCoy not making the team. Don’t want that Soft Dude on the team. I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about RaShaun Allen. Let’s hope he can step up.

btw,, here’s Question to those that may know this. If Lynch end out holding out for the first 8 games,, do we get to keep that half of his Cap number and carry it over to 2015???

I hope so if he ends up holding out but I don’t think he will… :)

44. Southendzone says:

Someone make a kickstarter to get some money for Marshawn. If we get a half-million he reports to camp! That’s just over $5 per person for a full C-LINK stadium

45. PLUHawkFan says:

I’d like to ask a question? Just to make everyone ponder, if for no other reason. Many have said, we can’t lose Lynch. Michael and Turbin are great backups, but we would lose to much riding them for the season? Does that sound about right?

My question is this? STTBM talk about stats in a vacuum in the last thread. How do we KNOW that Michael and Turbin would be a downgrade? IIRC Lynch was a semi bust in Minnesota, and didn’t do a whole heck of a lot here in 2011. 2012 is the year that he really broke out and made a huge difference.

Have we really seen enough of Michael and Turbin to determine that they would be downgrade to Marshawn? I can see some people saying we have seen enough of Turbin, but I remind you it took Marshawn a few years to become the beast that he is. And what about Michael, he’s a rookie still learning and has had very little play time as of yet. And he has shown glimpses.

Now I realize ML is generally regarded as a once in a generation back, I’m just saying how do we KNOW we would lose something with those two backs vs Marshawn.

I’m not saying we wouldn’t I’m just asking the question how do we know?

Something to think about.

46. HawkFromDay1 says:

The roster is kind of an anti-climax – making the team on final cut down day means virtually nothing with this front office – they churn this roster like crazy.

Remember how fired up people were that Jon Lotulelei made the team last year? Yeah…

47. McCoy will make the team. He can block along with catching the ball. He’s not soft. How in the world can you hear good things about RaShaun Allen?
    Camp hasn’t even started yet..

48. SandpointHawk says:

How does one mix up Minnesota with Buffalo?

49. PLUHawkFan says:

LOL, Not sure Sandpoint. I guess maybe because I was thinking about having Percy Healthy for a year earlier…. Pure screw up on my point.

50. PLUHawkFan says:

I’ve been watching NFL network and one of the guest’s quoted something that I like. Maybe Marshawn can listen to it. For the football team “Everyone is needed, but nobody is necessary!” I like it, “Marshawn we want and Need you, but we can survive without you as well”…

51. Carlsonkid says:

Man , looking at that list , there’s a lot of talent at linebacker that wouldn’t make the team if it breaks down like Todd’s projection !

52. BobbyK – my bad, I meant from the last thread you were calling out for bold predictions and those were mine.

53. hawkfaninoklahoma says: