Seahawks Insider

Morning Links: Another veteran is gone as Seahawks continue to rely on young players

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 24, 2014 at 1:03 am with 65 Comments »
July 24, 2014 1:04 am

Good morning.

Sidney Rice retiring takes seven years of NFL experience out of the Seahawks’ receivers room. Percy Harvin, who has been in the league five years (and played one game during one of those seasons), now has the most years in the league among Seahawks receivers. Ricardo Lockette, 28, is the oldest.

The Seahawks head into camp with three rookie wide receivers and three wide receivers 26 or older.

With the departure of Rice, Red Bryant, Chris Clemons and Michael Robinson, the Seahawks lost 31 seasons of NFL experience — for better or worse.

The ongoing departure of veterans from what was the youngest team in history to win the Super Bowl is something that caught the eye of Robinson a bit back. During a recent podcast with NFL.com’s Dave Dameshek, Robinson mentioned the “new money” that is throughout the lockerroom and wondered how that — and veterans moving on — would influence the team. That was before Rice — whom, it should be noted, missed half of last season though remained around the team — departed.

In defensive tackle Kevin Williams, the Seahawks brought in a guy entering his 12th season. He and Heath Farwell are the only players on the roster who have double-digit years in the league. Farwell is going into his 10th season. Punter Jon Ryan joins Farwell and Williams as the only players older than 30.

Here’s the age breakdown of players entering camp:

13 are 22.

15 are 23.

18 are 24.

12 are 25.

15 are 26.

3 are 27.

6 are 28.

3 are 29.

1 is 31.

2 are 32

1 is 33.

That makes 82 percent of the roster 26 or younger.

That roster build fits into the young, rabid culture Pete Carroll wants. It’s similar to last season, plus, many of those guys get to add the ultimate experience from last year of winning the Super Bowl to counter the departure of other veterans. The younger players remain the crux of the team.

Though, as Robinson points out, there are a growing number of those young players on extended and lucrative contracts. Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Doug Baldwin and Michael Bennett are all on new and improved deals. Kam Chancellor had previously signed his long-term deal.

Something to watch as this group moves forward and prepares to defend their title.

Links:

> The Detroit Lions placed Golden Tate on the PUP list because of a shoulder injury from OTAs.

> John Nordstrom, and others, received their Super Bowl rings. Jen Mueller of ROOT Sports received one, as did a couple of cooks.

> Vernon Davis reported to camp in San Francisco, ending his holdout.

> Kansas City running back Jamaal Charles ended his threat of holding out after signing a two-year extension.

> Denver owner Pat Bowlen stepped down yesterday because of the onset of Alzheimer’s disease, finishing his run at the head of one of the league’s top franchises. Best to him and his family.

> Speaking of youth, Football Outsiders ranks the teams with the most talent under 25. The St. Louis Rams are at the top. The Seahawks are … last.

Attention, Seattle fans. Your team just won the Super Bowl. You’re favored to repeat this year because your core players are in that 25-26 age range and hitting their primes. That includes Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Russell Okung, Bruce Irvin, Percy Harvin and Doug Baldwin.

> Monday Morning Quarterback writes about offensive line coaching camp. Tom Cable was scheduled to be there, but could not because of the draft being pushed back and rookie minicamp starting later.

Leave a comment Comments → 65
  1. SandpointHawk says:

    I know some bozo blogger is going to disagree with me but for the record I think it’s great John Nordstrom got a ring. Class organization top to bottom….

  2. GeorgiaHawk says:

    I don’t buy much into what Robinson is saying.
    He is looking for work & can’t come off as a homer. Especially on shows like first take.

    I think the Seahawks have plenty of young leaders to step up & fill any perceived void.
    Many young players have already stepped up like Kam, & that was after he got so called new money.

    Also, even though we did lose a few veteran leaders like (big Red) we lost a few knucklehead veterans like BB,Thurmond & Tate so it all evens out imo.

  3. CDHawkFan says:

    In 2012 and 2013 I questioned how valuable a veteran was to PC and JS, were they going to bring in older guys that had made the SB to help the younger guys along, to get them over the hump. We had needs at DE 15 months ago and they let 3 big guys sign elsewhere (Osi, Abramham, Freeney). They had a need 2 years ago for nickel DB and they didn’t try really hard to get Woodson. All these guys came with SB experience, were in a position of need, are seen as leaders, and the Hawks didn’t try that hard to get them. That tells me how much they vaulue veteran’s, and you know what, it worked.

    They ended up being the best team last year, didn’t have any major issues in the locker room, didn’t look like deer in headlights like they did in the 1st half vs the Redskins and Falcons the previous playoffs, and now they have a ton of guys with experience who are still young.

  4. I agree with Georgia here about Mike Rob. They just need something to talk about. Also with statements like this he is feeding the media bull**** to make them think they won’t repeat success, so they will fly under the radar and soar again :) That’s my belief.

  5. yankinta says:

    GeorgiaHawk,, yup yup,, Robinson sounds like someone who’s trying too hard to claim credit. We would have easily won that Superbowl without him last year… that’s just a Fact….

  6. chuck_easton says:

    Georgia is right. MRob is looking for a job with one of the national media biggies.

    He can’t come off as anything close to being pro Seattle or he won’t get an interview let along a job.

    Unfortunately with Sydney Rice retiring Seattle has lost another locker room leader.

    He was only going to be a role player on the field, but he was the leader of the WR’s in the locker room.

    I don’t see a real leader in the WR group now. DB has the best chance to step up into that position. Harvin is a great talent, but he has never been a role model, leader type. A position mentor doesn’t openly argue with his coach on the sideline and/or throw weights at another coach.

    Sydney was all class. It’s too bad his body couldn’t stand up to the physical aspect of the game. Yes he was likely overpaid, but that is more the fault of Seattle not being a go to destination for FA’s back in 2011. He openly acknowledged he got a great deal. He never acted entitled like Housh, Branch, or even Mike Williams (after he got paid).

    So step up Angry Doug. You are already the #1 on the team position wise. You have shown you are not afraid to speak your mind to the media. Take charge of the kids and be a leader in the locker room.

  7. yankinta says:

    Sucks about Tate staring on PUP. We need him to have a great Stat Year,, because that will add into the calculation for the compensatory pick next year….

  8. Dukeshire says:

    Another thing to consider regarding Robinson’s comments is that the producers of these horrible shows more often that not “encourage” certain opinions. They don’t necessarily tell them what to say, but most definitely help frame the conversation. So, as has been said, who really knows what Robinson’s true feeling are.

    “I know some bozo blogger is going to disagree with me but for the record I think it’s great John Nordstrom got a ring. Class organization top to bottom”

    I couldn’t agree more. Nordstrom absolutely deserved a ring and I’m happy they Organization felt the same way.

  9. “I know some bozo blogger is going to disagree with me but for the record I think it’s great John Nordstrom got a ring. Class organization top to bottom”

    Of course. Because anyone who disagrees with you, or the mainstream, is a bozo.

    The only bozo here is you.

    For the record, I think its cool Seattle gave so many rings away. Its a nice gesture to give one to Nordstrom. I wish they would have given Chuck Knox one, but heck, the guy may not have even wanted one.

  10. Yankinta–The NFL will hose us on the comp picks, never fear. Their formula is intentionally obtuse so they can skew it, or at least it seems that way to me.

    Im just bummed Tate is injured because I like watching him play. I love how he breaks tackles and gives it his all. He runs like a RB, and not too many WR’s–especially under 6′–do that. Plus, he can really jump–as GB Fans!

    It will be fun watching Tate catch passes opposite Megatron. Should open things up for both of them.

  11. Ask GB fans…

  12. chuck_easton says:

    I’m totally on board with John Nordstrom getting a ring.

    He and his family are the reason Seattle even has a franchise.

    He also realized he couldn’t keep the Seahawks and compete with the rest of the league. He didn’t have the ready capital. His mistake was buying the line of crap Behring sold him about wanting to build the Seahawks and keep them in Seattle.

    If anything John Nordstrom was just a local guy from a PNW family and took people at face value.

    Seattle has been fortunate to only have three owners in their 38 years.

    Two of those owners now have rings. One doesn’t. Speaks volumes.

  13. ChrisHolmes says:

    Man.. I love the youth on this team. And in hindsight, doesn’t this just make absolute sense? Pete Carroll spent a decade coaching USC, dealing with players he could only keep for four years, dealing with that high rate of player turnover, figuring out how to constantly get new blood to buy into his system and perform at a high level, and now he comes to the NFL and shows everyone how to do it and Seattle wins a Superbowl?

    I mean… he and JS seem to have a blueprint – keep the team young, and coach the hell out of them. And it clearly works.

    It’s going to be heart-wrenching later, when some of these guys get cut for age-related reasons… But Pete and John are just going to keep mining and keep bringing in guys to compete.

    I said, many, many years ago on this blog and elsewhere, I really wanted Seattle to mimic the Patriot’s franchise… and now it’s like we’ve done that, only better. New England doesn’t marry itself to any players (except Brady, for good reason), is fairly ruthless about letting guys go at the right time, not overpaying for anyone, and continually building through the draft and smart FA moves. Only… they haven’t been as good at drafting as Seattle has, and Bellichick takes a few too many flyers on aging veterans for my taste. But they’re in the playoff mix every year since Bellichick took over that team, and there is a clear philosophy behind what they do, and it clearly works.

    I feel like Seattle does some of that, but we focus way more on youth and coaching guys to our system.

    It’s kind of funny; it used to be that if you said a player was a “system player”, that was kind of a slam on the player, because it was meant to take credit away from the player. But now, if you say that in Seattle, it’s not a negative at all; it’s a plus. It’s giving credit to PC and the staff because they clearly have a system that works and want guys to buy in and be coached up into it, to learn every detail, etc. And our guys do that, especially in the secondary, and so it’s a positive for the players too, because it shows that these guys – many of whom were passed over by other teams and not deemed to be potentially great NFL players because they didn’t fit some kind of “ideal” prototype – they come into Seattle and excel with the system, because Pete and the staff figure out how to utilize these guys’ unique traits, and coach them relentlessly on every nuance. These guys buy in and do it right, and are successful…

    I wonder how many coaches and GM’s around the league are really looking at everything Seattle is doing, an analyzing it, and understanding how all the different aspects work together to make it successful? I get the feeling not many are; that they are just saying, “Okay, we need big, tall, rangy DB’s now, because that’s what Seattle is doing.” And the reality is… it’s so much more than that.

    Anyway..

    The Nordstrom ring is awesome; so glad he got it.

  14. vichawkfan says:

    speaking of Chuck Knox – l had read somewhere recently his health was poor and was dealing with some sort of long term illness. If anyone has news on him please share. I would be great if TNT could somehow get a phone interview with him and ask his thoughts on the team these days.

  15. I’m not a fan of giving someone a SB ring for past accomplishments but it does seem Nordstrom is still involved with the team so it makes sense he gets a ring in that case.

  16. yankinta says:

    LOL,, this hater’s comment makes me laugh out loud. Soooo much hate tells me that it’s eating them up everyday,, let’s hope they don’t kill themselves when we win 3 out of the next 5 superbowl… :)

    “This directly points to the influence professional sports has on the youth today.

    They see the Seattle Seahawks get away with it and actually win Superbowls because of it.

    So in their head they get a vision that basically tells them that if they using illegal performance enhancing drugs, they will win.

    It’s ruining society.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/24/hgh-use-up-among-high-school-students/

  17. SandpointHawk says:

    We’re all bozos on this bus. I for one am proud to be a bozo, at least I realize it.

  18. yankinta–Yep, another unfair knock on Seattle. Never mind Washington and SF have even more egregious problems with their players being busted for drugs, violence, etc.

    No one on Seattle’s roster was busted during the playoffs or SB, and no one in the offseason either, as far as I know. Yet Teams like SF have had several…

    vichawkfan–Im sorry to hear that about Knox. He recently (a few years ago) donated a million dollars to his college. I hope he gets better and isnt on the slippery slope….I loved that guy!

  19. I never blamed Nordstrom for selling the team to Behring. Its not his fault Behring lied his butt off. And we needed an owner with deeper pockets, thats for sure. Thank goodness Paul Allen came along. I sure hope he finds a good owner to succeed him, now that he’s trying to sell the team.

  20. Southendzone says:

    Yeah, if only Browner and Irvin would have beaten up their girlfriend/wives instead of get caught for drugs, they could have gotten a 2 game suspension like Ray Rice instead of 4 game and year long ban.

    Maybe they should try to promote that in the rookie symposium? “Feel like getting high? Smack a woman instead!” Roger Goodell could deliver that message himself and show the consequences of each action.

  21. If Aldon Smith gets less than a 6 game suspension it will be an absolute slap in the face to every Seattle Seahawks fan and prove what we’ve known all along. The NFL does not like Seattle being good. I bet since LA is desperate for a team if there was a shady way for the team to be moved there it would happen. But then there’d be riots in the streets of WA state!

    And I’m betting Smith gets 2-4 games and Marshawn will get more for his reduced DUI.

  22. South–Wow, dude. Just Wow.

    Yeah, Smith wrecked his car high on pills, weed, and alcohol, and was so zoned out he was sitting there with the pedal to the metal, wheels spinning, going nowhere and people had to drag him out of the car..think of how many lives he endangered that day…The gun/stabbing incident at his house party, his bomb threat…

    And the NFL will barely suspend him. I know how the suspension thing works, but its broken and needs fixing. The severity of the DUI should have plenty to do with the severity of the punishment, and it really doesnt.

    Very little bad press has come SF’s way, despite all the drug/alcohol/violence incidents with thier players recently. Yet many still rag on Seattle for PED’s–even after it came out that Browner was suspended for Weed, not PED’s.

    So we’ve had what? Moffitt, that idiot backup O-lineman, Irvin, and I think thats it busted for PED’s. Thats less than many teams. SHerms doesnt count, and they know it.

  23. HawkFromDay1 says:

    Moffitt, Alan Barbre, Winston Guy, Sherm, Irvin, Walter Thurmond and Browner.

    That’s 7 PED suspensions – the league cares about this (way more than more serious criminal offenses) because people will actually stop watching and call the league a joke if PEDs run rampant.

    Remember when baseball was still a thing people cared about? That league let things get out of hand, and now it’ll take a generation for all the fans to come back.

  24. NintyFivePercent says:

    Today’s dose of education for our youngster on summer break:

    yankinta
    JULY 24, 2014 AT 7:11 AM
    GeorgiaHawk,, yup yup,, Robinson sounds like someone who’s trying too hard to claim credit. We would have easily won that Superbowl without him last year… that’s just a Fact….

    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/07/24/morning-links-younger-younger-and-younger/#more-26300#storylink=cpy

    —————————————————–

    World English Dictionary
    fact (fækt)

    — n
    1. an event or thing known to have happened or existed
    2. a truth verifiable from experience or observation
    3. a piece of information

    ——————————————————

    World English Dictionary
    opinion (əˈpɪnjən)

    — n
    1. judgment or belief not founded on certainty or proof
    2. the prevailing or popular feeling or view: public opinion
    3. evaluation, impression, or estimation of the value or worth of a person or thing

    ——————————————————-

    MikeRob was part of the team at the Super Bowl; that is a fact.

    Whether the Seahawks would have won without him – easily or otherwise – is a matter of opinion; it did not happen and cannot be verified.

    Now that you know the definition of “fact,” you can impress your friends in sophomore English class this Fall.

  25. HawkFromDay1 says:

    Is anyone else baffled by those alleged phonetic spellings? I find them useless. It’s like reading some kind of esoteric military code, or Norwegian, or esoteric Norwegian.

  26. Dukeshire says:

    NintyFivePercent – Brilliant

  27. NintyFivePercent says:

    A small addendum: 95% of us would probably agree that they would have won without MikeRob.

    But that’s just my opinion.

  28. Southendzone says:

    Ok I’ll give you that M.Rob’s reasoning for doing that interview is probably to further a broadcasting career, but i listened to that whole thing and didn’t find anything he said to come off as insincere or sensationalizing.

    Nor did it sound whatsoever like he was trying to take more credit than he deserves.

    M.Rob just sounded like a 10 year vet expressing honest opinions about stuff.

    Could the loss of veteran players create a leadership vacuum and/or a different overall dynamic for the team? Of course it could. Might players perform differently after getting a big contract? Yep, maybe.

  29. RDPoulsbo says:

    Weren’t we discussing the losing lockerroom leaders like Hasselbeck a few years ago and it turned out to be a non-issue with guys like Bryant and Wagner growing into those roles? The core of the team is still there, so it’s even less of an issue now as it was then.

  30. PLUHawkFan says:

    Part of PC/JS’s philosophy when bringing in players is that their work ethic/leadership/personality fit within the system that they have implemented. Not that Veteran Leadership is not helpful, but did Russell Wilson need Veteran Leadership when he came to the team? Or did he step up and be the Leader himself?

    In the Secondary tell me who is the “Veteran Leader?” Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman & Kam Chancellor bonded and are the leaders of that group.

    Again I’m not arguing that Veteran Leadership is worthless, it has it’s place and can be a help especially on a young team. But I would argue our team isn’t just “Any” young team. We are not composed of a bunch of immature, selfish, me 1st type of players. We’re composed of young, hungry, self disciplined (for the most part) type players.

    Mike Rob’s comments aren’t without merit, but I think they were said for the benefit of the job interviews he’s doing, and not so much for the actual problem with the hawks. His words apply to 90% of teams that are as young as ours. PC/JS have done their job admirably though so it doesn’t apply “as much” to us.

  31. doubledink says:

    Syd’s retirement blows my 95% prediction out of the water of him tearing it up this year. I guess that makes me officially part of the 5% now.

  32. jawpeace says:

    I also have no problem with Nordstrom getting a ring. I would have also liked to see our three HOF get rings.

    I see V. Davis returned… bummer. I did not know that he is scheduled to make 9.1 mil this year and next. Seems like real good money for the TE position. And I kind of side with the front office not giving him more money. Though that would have been nice, as it would further damage their cap.

  33. ChrisHolmes says:

    NintyFivePercent FTW.

    Awesome.

  34. You guys aren’t bloggers. You are posting on someone else’s blog. Todd Dybas is the “blogger”.

  35. FivePercentWrong says:

    Remember that RealRob report when Clemons got all over Christine Micheal for rapping about doing drugs? I think I got the players right. I think that is what MRob was talking about.

    It would be interesting to know who the players are that would have no trouble getting in a rookie’s face for doing something stupid.

    I could easily see ET and RS doing that.

  36. GeorgiaHawk says:

    M Rob is on NFL network right now.

  37. PLUHawkFan says:

    Actually rbuzby:

    A “blogger” is someone who discusses the news and their opinions online.
    A “Blog” is a diary on Web site: a frequently updated personal journal chronicling links at a Web site, intended for public viewing.

    We are most definitely bloggers, just we are on the “News Tribunes” blog, not Todd Dybas blog. Todd Dybas is the moderator and one of the many “News Tribunes” updaters of the blog

  38. Southendzone says:

    what are we then…

    bloggites?
    bloglings?

  39. PLUHawkFan says:

    We are also “Blogging”
    Blogging is the act of posting content on a blog (a Web log or online journal) or posting comments on someone else’s blog.

  40. Mr Dybas – Another nice blog post, thanx!

    Seahawks’ Expected Player Performance Abilities:
    Elite: ET, Sherm, Lynch.
    High Quality: Hauschka, Kam, Wright, Avril, Mebane, Bennett, Harvin, Wilson.
    Good Starter: Miller, Baldwin, Okung, Unger, McDaniel, K.Williams, Irvin, Smith, Wagner, Maxwell.
    Avg Starter: Gresham, Lane, Bowie, Kearse, Willson, T.Jax.
    Below Avg Starter: Ryan, P.Adams, AJ Jefferson, Schofield, Sweezy, Lem, Carpenter, Coleman, Turbin, Pryor
    Poor Starter: A.McCoy
    Less-known, how will they play this season?: C.Michael, S.Ware, B.Waters, R.Lockette, A.Bailey, C.Hauptmann, G.VanRoten, S.Schilling, G.Scruggs, B.Mayowa, J.Hill, D’A.Smith, J.Williams, H.Farwell, M.Morgan, T.Simon, D.Shead, J.Johnson. Who will be seen as the unexpected rising stars?
    Rookies: P.Richardson, K.Small, K.Norwood, J.Britt, J.Staten, C.Marsh, K.Pierre-Louis, E.Pinkins. How well will they do compared to draftees of the other NFCW teams? How many will break into the SEA 53?

  41. PLUHawkFan says:

    One last Definition for a certain someone.

    a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

  42. klm – nice list.

    However, I would rate both Gresham and Ryan higher. Especially Ryan. In my opinion, Ryan is on the verge of being an elite Punter. And Gresham has been nothing but rock solid since he got here.

    On the other side, I think you have T. Jax rated a bit high. I would rate him as a below average starter. I think we’ve also seen enough of Lockette to classify him as a below average starter. Lockette’s most significant contributions have been on Special Teams, though, which should probably be figured into his rating.

  43. Todd is the blogger, we are the readers of his blog. He posts the content that we comment on. The blogger controls the content and moderates comments. We don’t do that. We are commenting on someone else’s blog posts. Todd is blogging, we are commenting.

  44. Ray_Maines says:

    Less than 24 hours until life begins.

  45. SandpointHawk says:

    We’re all Bozo’s on this blog. Fireside Theater called it in 1971, before your time I know but they called it none the less.

    Klm008, Percy will move back up to elite this year…book it.

  46. Dukeshire says:

    PLU and rbuzby – Thanks for the nap. Blogging. Commenting. Whatever

  47. I consider this creative writing (typing) not blogging

  48. freedom_X says:

    The Nordstroms didn’t sell because they were worried about their financial ability to back the team. They sold the team because too many fans were cutting up Nordstrom credit cards when things like player strikes happened.

    In other words, Nordstrom wanted to focus on their core business and didn’t want fallout from a highly visible side business to affect their core. So they sold the Seahawks. Unfortunately, like Barry Ackerley, they chose poorly. Fortunately, because the NFL was supportive, it turned out for the better.

  49. montanamike2 says:

    I Listened to fireside theater, CBS mystery theater, actually i have thousands of hours of old time radio on discs but i listened to those shows live. When i was growing up, we didn’t have electricity or running water, only 1 station on AM radio came in during the evening and they always had OTR shows in the evening, Tommy Dorsey, green hornet, dimension x, the shadow and too many to list. I’m still nostalgic about the shows that i grew up listening to, kinda weird for a guy who’s 48 years old. Sometimes i feel like i’m in the wrong era because of that.

  50. montanamike2 says:

    I’m not sure why we only got radio at night and only AM.

  51. PLUHawkFan says:

    Mike Rob just reported on NFL network that Lynch is going to Hold out of training camp….

  52. Time to start the Christine Michael era. The run game was anemic last year. Like Andrew Luck, it made its money on volume and not efficiency.

    And yeah, I know the OL is the worst since the 1992 Seahawks.

  53. When Wilson unseated Flynn to start ’12 I was scared to death in terms of that individual season. I thought Flynn provided the best chance to win that year, too. Wilson needed Lynch.

    Last year, Wilson was heading into his sophomore season. He, again, needed Lynch.

    Year three, with a great defense coming back and Luke Willson developing into a TE deep threat and a healthy Harvin, in addition to already having been a Super Bowl winning QB, I could care less if Lynch holds out.

    I’m not saying his loss wouldn’t be felt, but I do not believe it would be felt as much as some seem to think it would.

    This team has developed beyond the point of needing to rely on Lynch or any one individual player (although Wilson, ET, and Sherm would be tough to replace), especially with Turbin and Michael waiting in the wings.

    Mr. Happy deals with the future, not the past. In fact, I would be disappointed (and surpirsed to a degree – but not totally after caving to Clem as they did two years ago) if they caved in to Lynch.

    There is only so much of the pie to go around and Lynch doesn’t deserve as much as he thinks he does moving forward. He’s right if teams pay for what players have done in the past, but if that’s the case, I’d like them to sign Kenny Easley to a $10 million deal for past accomplishments, too.

  54. But they already paid him well for what he did in the past. It was in line with Ray Rice, Matt Forte and LeSean McCoy – 3 comparable RBs.

  55. And will continue to pay him well for what he does in the future.

  56. Agree 100%, pabs. It’s not like he’s outperforming a rookie deal. He was set to become a FA and got top dollar (granted, the “poor” guy may have gotten franchised and been left to eat peanut butter sandwiches for a year).

  57. “I’m not sure why we only got radio at night and only AM.”

    It’s because at night, the ionosphere bounces the radio signal over greater distances than during the day. Sunlight changes atoms in the ionosphere during the day in a way that causes them to not “bounce” the signal as much.

  58. montanamike2

    CBS radio mystery theatre hosted by EG Marshall was AWESOME! And even terrifying at times.

  59. MontanaMike2–I love the Shadow and old radio plays! Sometime we’ll have to get together and listen to them. My seven year old boy was just asking me what The Shadow was, and now he wants to hear those old radio series too!

    On Lynch; he’s set to make less than Charles, Peterson, McCoy and even Arian Foster and possibly Forte. Lynch also knows full well Seattle will force him to take a pay cut next year and/or cut him. He’s better than Foster and Forte, arguably better than McCoy, and he is a major part of our team.

    Sydney Rice was worth 8 million a year but Lynch isnt worth 7 this year?! I get the RB market has tanked, but Lynch is special; he’s worth a bit extra for the toughness and lead-by-example he brings to the team. You cant replace that, even if Michaels and Turbin run for 1800 yards between them.

    Im not saying pay him AP money, but a bump sounds fair to me. They will cut him before next season, so its not like they intend to honor the contract. Why does he have to honor it, but they do not?

    And before anyone accuses me of pushing my opinion onto others, thats not what Im doing. Ive said it before a bunch of times; its proven that few adults change their minds about ANYTHING, even when faced with proof they are wrong. All Im doing is stating my opinions, the logic/reason behind them, and offering to debate with anyone else who wishes to do so. Those who disagree with me are certainly entitled to their opinions, and I fully support their right to add their opinion to the pile.

    I have no animosity towards anyone here, and I hope the feeling is mutual. If you care to debate with me, please do so; if not, that is also fine.

  60. Pabs–The line WAS the worst since 92. Not anymore. While they arent going to be mistaken for the Niners line, they should be markedly improved this year, as Carp is FatCarp no longer, and Britt appears to be the real deal. Add to that a (hopefully) healthy by season opener Unger and Okung, and there is no reason to think we wont be much better up front this year.

    And Ive been the harshest critic of our O-line since we lost the Ice Fisherman.

*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

JavaScript is required to post comments.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0