Seahawks Insider

Morning links: Available tickets getting more scarce and more expensive

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 22, 2014 at 1:19 am with 123 Comments »
July 22, 2014 1:19 am

Good morning.

As we noted yesterday, the Seahawks sold out regular-season tickets in a blink. Not a surprise since they had 63,000 season-ticket holders and a 99 percent renewal rate.

That leaves the secondary market. Bring your wallet.

According to TiqIq, the average ticket cost is $426.88 for the 2014 season, a 24.4 percent increase from last year’s season average.

On their site, single tickets for home games range from a minimum of $126 (vs. the Giants and Cardinals) to $284 (opener against Green Bay). The cheapest road ticket? At St. Louis for a paltry $36.

More on ticket costs from Forbes:

The Chicago Bears are the only other team to currently have a season average above $400. No home Seahawks game this season has an average price below $300, while only five other teams have a season average above $300 on the secondary market. Last season three Seahawks home games had an average price below $300 and only the Week 13 Monday Night Football game against the New Orleans Saints had an average price above $500.

This year three home games on the Seahawks schedule have an average price above $500. The first regular season game of the NFL season is also the most expensive game on the secondary market when the Green Bay Packers visit CenturyLink Field. The Thursday night kickoff currently has an average price of $604.37, the only NFL game this season with an average price above $600. Two weeks later, Seattle will host a Super Bowl rematch against the Denver Broncos with an average price of $524.51, 22.9% above Seattle’s season average.

The Seahawks will gladly take your straight cash, homey.

Links:

> Speaking of money, each team will reportedly receive an additional $27 million in TV revenue this season.

> Ron Jaworksi ranks Russell Wilson ninth among his top 32 quarterbacks.

> Peter King was quite impressed with Bills rookie receiver Sammy Watkins.

> Former coach Tony Dungy caused a stir yesterday when he was quoted in a Tampa Tribune story saying he would not have drafted Michael Sam.

“I wouldn’t have taken him,’’ said former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy, now an analyst for NBC. “Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it.

“It’s not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.’’

Lost in the fervor around Dungy’s comments was a solid story about the continued attempt to change lockerroom culture in the NFL.

> Lastly, some interesting thoughts from Bucky Brooks, who worked for the Seahawks as a regional scout in the early 2000s, on No. 1 corners. As you know, the Seahawks almost always choose to have Richard Sherman only play his side as opposed to shadow the top receiver.



Leave a comment Comments → 123
  1. montanamike2 says:

    I was so looking forward to going to a game at Clink this year with my cousin who is moving to Ft. Lewis. I guess it will be on the big screen again, oh well. I think i’ll fly to Arizona or wherever i can to cheer them on, it just won’t be the same. Major disappointment.

  2. GeorgiaHawk says:
  3. HawkfaninMT says:

    Games at AZ are pretty fun… Mellow crowd and good bars in the stadium area

  4. yankinta says:

    Just a reminder to All,, JAWS QB Analysis/Ranking is Gabarge… :)

  5. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Btw First take (my favorite sports show to hate but sometimes secretly watch) will be talking about Jaws QB rankings today.

    Don’t everyone all rush to your TV at once now. Lol.

  6. montanamike2 says:

    Rankings are stupid meaningless. How do you rank a 2 year QB who breaks all the records, wins his first SB in his second year and practically redefines the position?

  7. montanamike2 says:

    HawkfaninMT will i get shanked if i go to a game wearing my Hawks jersey in AZ?

  8. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Stephen A Smith just said that Luck is a bad bad boy! And he said Luck is movin on up!

  9. yankinta says:

    lol,, As I’ve been saying for months,,, Nick Foles will have a better QB rating, QBR than Luck this upcoming Season. Even with the fact that Luck has better weapons and better O-Line,, and plays a lot Softer schedule….

  10. Southendzone says:

    Sure Foles might beat him on those stats, but it’s far from clearcut that Luck has better weapons and O-Line.

    The only offensive position there might be reasonable argument for Indy is at W, and that’s if you expect Reggie Wayne to have a great season coming off injury.

    OL/RB/TE are all strengths for Philadelphia.

  11. Southendzone says:

    Offensive all-pro team for 2013 included:

    2 PHI OL
    1 PHI RB

    Zero Colts.

  12. NintyFivePercent says:

    Another Yakinta prediction, sweet. Let’s see if it works out as well as this one:
    yankinta
    JAN. 9, 2014 AT 8:01 AM
    Prediction Time for me,, since I may not be here tomorrow….
    I see only one Road Team winning this weekend.
    Seahawks over Saints (Blowout >= 14 pts)
    Pat over Colts (Blowout >= 14 pts)
    Panthers over 49ers (close win <= 7 pts)
    Chargers over Broncos (close win <= 7 pts)
    Yes, I know I got the colts pick wrong last week,, overall I'm 7-3 picking the colts games this year.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/01/09/morning-links-earl-thomas-wants-to-take-over/#storylink=cpy

    Just to refresh memories, the actual scores were:
    Seahawks 23, Saints 15 (not quite a 14 point blowout)
    Pats 43, Colts 22 (hey, he got one!)
    49ers 23, Panthers 10 (oops)
    Broncos 24, Chargers 17 (oops)

    1/4 = 95%

  13. doubledink says:

    Those stubborn little things, facts.

  14. Tony Dungy should not get a free pass on his comments. Being a man of color he should be told how dim this makes him look.

  15. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Condemn or commend at least Dungy is a man of courage and conviction for not kissing up to the PC police.
    It’s refreshing to see some honesty now & then (whether folks agree or disagree with his message).

  16. yankinta says:

    lol,, that’s a good one. I must have been having a bad day…

    But the fact remains that I usually have 95 good days out of 100. :)

  17. yankinta says:

    Southendzone,, I disagree about the O-Line. Colts O-Line ranked 6th Best in Pass Protection, where Eagles ranked 31st in Pass Protection. Only one team was ranked lower than Eagles in O-Lin Pass Protection,, and that was the Seahawks…

    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

  18. yankinta says:

    hey,, NintyFivePercent,, you should look up my SuperBowl Prediction and post it here…. if you want to search by key word, try “42-17 Seahawks” :)

  19. Yankinta shouldn’t get a pass on his previous comments either. Being a man of arrogance he should be told how dim he looks when his 95% right all the time is proven to actually be more like 25% in this case. Ha! Just yanking your chain, yankinta. Sure hope that chain isn’t only 25% strong like your predictions…

  20. Tony Dungy helped break the color barrier in coaching and now he says this. He is a fool. Sorry but he just is. He can look to his own life and see why this is wrong but he is blinded by hate.

  21. Dukeshire says:

    “1/4 = 95%”

    So good. lol

    If there is a more misleading statistical ranking than offensive line I’m unaware of it. Measuring an offensive line is so nuanced that no myopic ranking comes close to revealing the true quality of a given lines play. As a wise man once said, “statistics are like bikinis: what the reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.”

  22. AzulVerde says:

    Wigman, you know what I disagree!! I’m sick and tired of all the political correctness crap that goes on today. “You should never say anything that “might” offend another person, race, creed or group” BS!!

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with speaking your mind. He didn’t say anything directly offensive. He just said, if it was him he wouldn’t have selected sam, because he thought it might cause problems for a team environment. He didn’t say anything negative about sam, just that having a gay player in locker room, “might” cause some issues and he wouldn’t have taken the chance.

    Tell me what is wrong with that? He expressed an opinion… without attacking Sam in any way shape or form. And if “you/we” are supposedly color blind as everyone likes to pretend, what does the fact that Dungy is black have ANYTHING to do with it. He’s a coach expressing an opinion about his team.

    *sigh

  23. montanamike2 says:

    I think Dungy is using this distraction excuse to support his christian beliefs, not all christians believe this but he’s on record saying he believes marriage is between a man and a woman. Seems kind of hypocritical to me seeing how he picked up Vick after his prison time.

  24. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Lol Duke.

    Just saw Steve Spurrier say “numbers never lie” (on the show) numbers never lie.
    I wonder if Spurrier checked out the numbers from the Seahawks/Stealers Super Bowl.

    Yes sometimes I torture myself with ESPN stuff.

  25. I’m not saying Tony Dungy can not say this. I’m saying what he is saying is stupid and the fact that he is black makes him a fool. Black players , coaches and then quarterbacks were once thought to be a “distraction” not that long ago. I think he is blinded be hate and most likely will continue to speak his foolish mind.

  26. I’ll give Dungy a chance to explain before I condemn a guy who has proven himself as a respected coach/man/analyst in the NFL. The fact is Sam is a marginal talent. The potential payoff that comes along with the media circus may not be worth it in Dungy’s opinion. I see it as a similar situation to Tim Tebow. Dude was a marginal talent but a huge disruption – not for anything he ever did, but for the the circus that accompanied him. If Sam were a first or second round talent, the conversion would be different and more teams would be willing to put up with the distraction. But he’s not. What happens when he gets cut? Would you want to be the coach/GM who cuts the first openly gay NFL played?

  27. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Montanamike2
    Dungy is not being hypocritical at all. He is staying true to his spiritual beliefs by not condoning Vicks behavior but forgiving him & helping him change.
    You can disagree with his views but I don’t see him being hypocritical.

  28. Southendzone says:

    Making big changes isn’t supposed to be easy. What if Lincoln was like “Well, I’d like to free the slaves, but I’ll probably take a lot of flak for it so nah”

    I agree with wigman here. The fact that Dungy stands on the shoulders of men who made hard choices and sacrifices for African Americans and here he is saying he’s not willing to do it because he doesn’t want to ‘deal with all of it’.

  29. AzulVerde says:

    Wigman,

    How is saying what he is stupid? He’s expressing an opinion period. How is this any different then if this wasn’t about Sam’s sexual preference but was about some other reason, i.e.: his choices of friends (say gang members) And Dungy feels his off the field choices will effect the environment of the locker room.

    Or let’s Say Sam was super immature and he felt that the hype and immaturaty issues would be a distraction to the rest of the team. (i.e.: Johnny football).

    Just because sexual preference is obviously something YOU care about, and disagree with Dungy using doesn’t make him a fool. And this is NOTHING at all like using race as an excuse. The color of someone’s skin does not and should not matter.

    Again, Dungy did not attack Sam’s sexual preference in any way shape or form even if he does disagree with it. He stated something from a Football perspective. He felt the “distraction” because of the sexual preference thing and the media hype would cause problems. THAT IS WHY he wouldn’t have selected Sam.

    How does that make him a fool? He DID not condemn nor say anything in regards to Sam personally or his preference. He said the DISTRACTION might not be good for the Team.

    *THIS is my humble opinion, though I feel strongly about it. Your entitled to yours as well. I just don’t think calling someone a fool for stating a football related decision, while saying nothing negative about the player at all is wrong on your part.

    My2CentsWorth

  30. HawkfaninMT says:

    @montanamike: nope! I was there for the season opener 2 years ago. Probably 2/3 cards fans, 1/3 hawk fans. I wore my grey Sherman jersey. I paid a little extra to be in the 100 section and well worth it. I light hearted lay teased the fans around me and they let me hear it too. No swearing, just good natured rivals.

    I did see a couple younger fans harassing a car as they were leaving. But that’s as bad as it got.

    Fun bar out front though. They had a mechanical bull riding competition between a hawk fan and cards fan…

    Good times!

    And Pat Tilman statue is awesome! Didn’t realize how big they had made it

  31. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Well said OrrObb.

    Jimmy Johnson said (about when he was coaching in Dallas) that if a first rounder fell asleep at a meeting they would wake him up.
    If a seventh rounder fell asleep they would cut him.

  32. Yankinta–Dude, the Eagles have a fantastic offensive line, one of the best in the NFL. They have multiple Pro Bowlers there and no junk; Indy’s line isnt close. The eagles line is great in pass pro and beastly in the run game–Indy’s sucks at run blocking. Period. There’s no comparison.

    And just because the Eagles had a weak schedule doesnt mean those players arent good–they were voted in by their peers across the NFL.

    Its fine if you want to take one year of starting experience with Foles and insist he’s better than Luck, but when you say things like Luck has a better O-line than Foles, you just lose credibility.

  33. chkn_liddle says:

    Georgia and Azul,

    First of all you root for the SEATTLE Seahawks. We make Oslo and Soviet Leningrad look right wing. So get on board. The key part of PC is CORRECT. It is not appropriate to judge a football player by anything but the content of his ability and character. If you would not take a player because of who he is in terms of sexual orientation, race, religion or origin, then you are discriminating in the same way those who would not hire a black quarterback or black coach would. For Dungy to apply the same discriminatory logic that was used against him and others is stupid and hypocritical.

  34. wazzulander says:

    I think OrrObb has it right, Dungy just didn’t think his talent justified the distraction. He really should have spelled that out better though so it doesn’t come off as if he wouldn’t draft any gay players. The fact that Jason Collins came out in the NBA last year without being a huge distraction should help illustrate that it doesn’t have to be a big distraction.

  35. Part of the reason the Eagles gave up so many sacks etc is Foles isnt very mobile, and is taught to stand tall and wait to deliver the downfield play. They still are a decent line in pass pro, whatever the stats say; maybe “great” was a bit of hyperbole, but their run blocking IS fantastic.

    And just like RW, Luck can flat move, and his mobility saved his line from being credited with quite a few sacks they deserved.

  36. At least Seahawk leadership puts up with distractions. Sherm, Lynch, Baldwin, Harvin even Mack Lemoore are distractions and I’m proud to have them . Go hawks.

  37. NintyFivePercent says:

    hey,, NintyFivePercent,, you should look up my SuperBowl Prediction and post it here…. if you want to search by key word, try “42-17 Seahawks”

    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/07/22/morning-links-available-tickets-getting-more-scarce-and-more-expensive/#comments#storylink=cpy

    ——————————————–

    yankinta
    JAN. 31, 2014 AT 7:41 AM
    Prediction Time!: Seahawks 35 – Denver 17

    Go Hawks!!! :)

    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/01/31/morning-links-the-key-for-each-side/#storylink=cpy

    ———————————————

    50% right in remembering your own prediction.

  38. I think Dungy was either stupid, or brave, or just doesnt care to say what he said.

    Now, I also think his attitude is wrong. However, its not the same as being discriminated against because youre black–being gay isnt a lifestyle choice, but its not a race either. And there will be problems, distractions, etc for a coach to deal with. Just as with that asshat Tebow and his retarded fans brought a bunch of problems that no one wanted to deal with, so to the fact of Sams gayness will cause problems, and many will choose to pass on his talent.

    Unlike Tebow, this is not a “lifestyle choice” for Sam. So he should have been treated better, in my book. Its sad that a guy like Dungy would behave this way. If anyone should give a guy a shot, you’d think it’d be him.

    And yeah, wouldnt surprise me at all if behind his words was his so-called “Christian” bigotry and fear of homosexuals.

    At least Fisher gave him a shot. Of all coaches, Fisher…the hard-nosed hardass…its perfect. Im going to be watching Sam; I hope he tears it up…

  39. WiscCory says:

    Montana bloggers….I’m hoping to go the AZ stadium game in Feb 2015.

  40. jawpeace says:

    Tony Dungy is black that is race. Sam is gay that is his sexual preference. What holes a person likes is not race. So Wigman don’t bring up Dungy’s race and equate it with Sam’s HSGL lifestyle. What blacks suffered through in history does not even compare to gays today. SO STOP IT.
    You do have to admit the GLB movement have done an excellent job in demonizing any opposing group- especially conservative Christians. The last time in history I saw such propaganda being swallowed by the masses was World War 2, in Germany with Jews being the target.

  41. GeorgiaHawk says:

    STTBM

    Foles is a lot more mobile then you think.

  42. All that I really want to express is that

    Tony Dungy is a fool. I wish he was running the Rams organization cause we need them to cool it with the good decisions. Go hawks

  43. chuck_easton says:

    AzulVerde,

    I am challenging you on your choice to type the words “sexual preference” not once but twice.

    That statement confirms your position on the subject.

    It’s not a preference! Why would somebody choose or prefer to be treated as a second class citizen?

    And if it is a preference as you state, I will ask you the following:

    1. Exactly when did you decide that you preferred to be strait and choose that orientation?

    2. So did you think “you know, I could choose to decide that I prefer guys over girls. Or I could prefer girls over guys…it’s just so difficult. Which side has the better dental plan?”

    3. Was it a hard choice? What turned the tide in favour of the strait lifestyle over the gay lifestyle?

    4. Was there competing recruitment drives? Did the straight recruiters have a better inducement package? Better snacks?

    5. Could it have gone the other way?

    Funny, but I don’t ever remember having to go through that conundrum. When I talk to my gay friends they don’t ever remember that either. We just knew.

  44. AzulVerde says:

    I’ll make one last comment then I’m going to let this lie. People are entitled to their opinions. And just because something is starting to be accepted by society doesn’t necessarily make it right.

    By the way the civil rights act of 1964 states that to prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or age is against the law. I see nothing about sexual orientation there. Though sexual orientation is becoming more accepted today, not too long ago it was seriously frowned upon by society. (some would say it’s good we’ve come along way, others would disagree) I’m not going to get into a moral discussion here.

    That being said, sexual orientation is a choice of behavior whether you agree or not. Any behavior is subject to scrutinization. If Dog fighting became socially acceptable, would Dungy be wrong for stating his opinion against it? Lets get a little more crazy and extreme since were talking about morality issues. If Sexual intercourse with an adult vs a child for some crazy reason became socially acceptable, would it be wrong for others to disagree.

    I realize i’m going out on a limb here. And I don’t want to debate morality. Some will have very strong opinions either way. All I’m saying is this issue is much different then Race. Sexual preference is a personal choice (I know I know some will disagree here as well, but let’s not go down that path) and it’s not part of the Equal opportunity act of 1964.

    All I’m saying is just because something has become Politically correct to not say anything against doesn’t make it wrong, or make someone a fool for disagreeing. And I still say he was talking about the DISTRACTION of the issue and what it would cause, and not talking against the person himself (Sam) That does not make him a fool or wrong. Disagree with his decision, Fine. We do that all the time. But don’t call someone a fool for standing up for what he believes in and making a football decision.

    This is a hot topic so this will be my last post on it.
    Hopefully it’ll make some people think… either or both ways.

    My2CentsWorth

  45. Wigman – We put up with the distraction of Sherman because he is the best corner in the league. We put up with the distraction of Lunch because he is the heart of this offense. Not sure Harvin is a distraction in any way, but if he is, the fact that he is one of the best playmakers in the league makes it worth it. I’m not sure how Maclemore fits in; he’s just a celebrity “superfan.” Sam is nowhere near the level of these guys, but brings a higher level of distraction IMO.

  46. montanamike2 says:

    I think OrrObb said it best. If Sam lit it up in camp then it wouldn’t be an issue, but he was mediocre at best. The media circus can be comparable to Tebow(except for talent), if Fisher has to cut him there might be an uproar. Thanks for the info on AZ MT, i think that’s the game i’ll go to. WiscCory if we’re there at the same time i’d love to get together for a beer.

  47. chuck_easton says:

    Again, if it’s a choice when exactly did YOU choose?

  48. Jaw. Please do not tell me what a can and can not say. You arefree to say what ever you like. I see a strong correlation between

  49. Yes, jawpeace, and like the Nazi’s they want to ban any opinions other than their own. I wish that we could keep our comments here on the play of the Seahawks, and leave the weightier topics to Dr. Phil and Oprah.

  50. chuck_easton says:

    PHXHawk,

    And just to tie the two subjects together (sexual orientation, and Nazi’s).

    Are you aware that 15,000 men were sent to the concentration camps simply because of their sexual orientation? Are you aware that they were forced to wear the identifying badge of the pink triangle just as the Jews were forced to wear the yellow star of David?

    Are you aware that of the 15,000 only 4,000 survived?

  51. Yes we put up with distractions that what makes us great. No hate from the hawks thank “god”.

  52. montanamike2 says:

    I guess he stated that when Sam was scheduled to be on an Oprah reality show, that pretty much clarifies it.

  53. montanamike2 says:

    Thanks for the link MoSeahawk12.

  54. The idea that Christians today are being mistreated like Jews were under the Nazis is the most idiotic thing I have ever read here. Not being able to stop people from getting married does not make you a victim.

  55. chuck_easton says:

    If you all want to make this a debate on Civil Rights, Human Rights, Gender Equality, Race Equality, or such be prepared to back you claims and opinions with evidentiary facts.

    I did quite well in my Legal Protection of Human Rights, Feminist Legal Theory, and Civil Rights Law, courses in law school.

    I am a strong advocate for any minority group that is being denied any basic human/civil right that is automatically granted to the majority without question or thought.

    Or, we can turn this back into a football blog? Your choice.

  56. montanamike2 says:

    I vote football.

  57. AzulVerde says:

    Chuck;

    I understand what your saying. There is a HUGE argument in society as well as the medical establishment whether sexual preference is a choice or your born that way. There are strong arguments on either side. I personally think it’s for more and more people a “choice” Although I think there are some people who are born feeling a certain way as well. Whether that is “natural” or not is another issue. Some people are born with brain abnormalities that make them think killing is ok. It’s been shown that this is “real” and they are born that way, is it normal though? I have many Gay friends and/or co-workers. Most are that way by choice, I know of only 1 who says he was born that way.

    Irregardless, this is a debate that will probably go on for a long time. All I’m saying is at the moment Sexual preference is not part of the Equal opportunity act law. So stating that Dungee is a fool because he’s black yet taking a particular stand in regards to someone’s behavior that would cause a locker room distraction is wrong IMHO. Again I’ll state Dungee never said anything personal against Sam either.. Just about the distraction he felt it would cause.

    Btw, you assumed you knew my position on the subject. I disagree, because I myself do not exactly know where I stand on it… I’m very open minded and like to study the issues. I have not made a definitive judgement on sexual orientation as of yet…

    My2CentsWorth.

  58. Okaaaaaaaay???? Back to football. I’ve not watched much on the new speedster Richardson at WR. He won’t be another Deon Butler will he? And I’d prefer to be enlightened by one of you in the know who is at least 97% all the time, please?

  59. AzulVerde says:

    You all are right lets stick with football…… I apologize.

    I just don’t like ANYONE being attacked for standing up for what they believe in as long as it’s not attacking another directly.

    Wrong debate for football blog though..

    Sincerely Apologizes to all.

    My2CentsWorth

  60. Southendzone says:

    Well at least we’ve gotten to the core of the argument which boils down to is sexual orientation a personal choice, or an attribute you’re born with.

    Your opinion on this guides your opinion on the whole debate and really every debate on gay rights.

  61. I’m not sorry I got this Dungy thing started. Love the passion. I do not hate Dungy. I just did not want to let his word go unchallenged.

  62. Well, I mean we all spend a lot of time watching, discussing and arguing the size, strength, arm length, body type of very muscular/athletic grown men in tight uniforms playing a game of passing a ball around and trying their best to tug/pull each other to the ground which a lot of times ends up in a giant pile of men on the ground every 45 sec seconds or so. In my opinion we’re all a little gay. Maybe 3% to 5% gay. Some even more.

    “Not that there’s anything wrong with it..”

  63. montanamike2 says:

    OK i’ll add one more thing too. I believe there are a few reasons people are gay, some are born that way, i believe this because of my previous story of shooting corn from a pea shooter into my friends flaming little brother’s ear, he was obviously gay as a kid. Others were raped or molested or had some other traumatic experience, a lot of women don’t trust men and vice verse. Sexuality is such a broad subject, now back to football for real.

  64. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Chuck,

    You can start by taking your own advise & by post football related stuff.

  65. “Not that there’s anything wrong with it…”

    Love the Seinfeld reference!

  66. MoSeahawk12 says:

    One could remove every element and only focus on the football side of Sam. Thirty one teams passed on Sam multiple times. He had a very poor combine. The Rams passed on him until the very last round. He was drafted on a team that has one of the best defenses in the league. There is no given that he even makes the team. Odds are he won’t. He doesn’t really have the size, speed ratio to dominate at this level. Based only on football, he will have a difficult time starting in the NFL, let alone making it. He will probably get other opportunities to make it, but it wouldn’t surprise if he ends up another talking head.

    The fact that he signed up with Oprah to have cameras follow him around and that didn’t sit well with Fisher and the Rams says something. That a seventh round pick would invite media into his teams private locker room and the guy hadn’t even put the pads on yet. That doesn’t sit well with vets that have fought and earned their way. This rookie was advised to strike while the attention was hot and take advantage of the opportunity. It’s good that they put the Oprah deal on the back burner, just to let him focus on making the team. That will be incredibly difficult for any seventh round pick. That is based on football, not his sexuality.

  67. montanamike2 says:

    Well said, that is in fact a media circus.

  68. montanamike2 says:

    I’m sure glad we kept Baldwin, dude’s clutch.

  69. We are 2,000 miles away, living in one of the most diverse, liberal areas of the country, and support the reigning world champion with sky-high expectations for the upcoming year. Yet, this blog has been dominated by the Michael Sam discussion today. Can you imagine what the conversions are like in other NFL cities, especially St. Louis? I would rather not have that distraction, thank you very much.

  70. jawpeace says:

    Maybe Jaws is ranking Wilson #9 in fantasy football. Because that is exactly where I have RW in my fantasy football QB rankings. In real life who I want for my team I have RW at the top. Which means the Hawks are very fortunate to have Russel and that Jaws lives in a fantasy land.

  71. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Thanks Mo for the updated link on Dungy.

    And I agree with Brooks. Dungy didn’t say anything that 32 other coaches weren’t thinking, including Pete Carroll.

    Contrary to some folks wishful thinking Carroll doesn’t want a media circus around his team anymore than Dungy did just for a 7th rounder that has no chance to make the team.

    He’s a smart coach like Dungy. That’s why they both have had so much success.

    And that’s why Dungy should get props for not being chkn to say it.

  72. MoSeahawk12 says:

    This situation reminds me of the Tebow one from a football talent perspective. The big difference is that Josh MacDaniels sealed his coaching fate by drafting Tebow in the first round when no other team would have been so foolish. Well, maybe a few teams, but not winning teams. Tebow had tons of hype and was always tied with his religious displays. He was a flat out terrible QB. Easily one of the worst to ever play the position. His image, beliefs and displays were discussed in much greater detail than his football play. The media loved to get in on the conversation and he seemed to get a pass on his poor play. The actual football talent, performance and ability to play QB in the NFL are the reason he is no longer in the NFL. His religious views gave people something to talk about, but in the end, he just could not play QB in the NFL. Sam will face a similar fate and the media will go crazy saying it was because he was gay or was a distraction. After time, they may believe he just didn’t have enough talent to be an NFL player. That’s ok, as very few actually make it to the NFL level and even fewer start and have long careers.

  73. yankinta says:

    STTBM,, yes, Eagles O-Line is very good in Run Blocking… Not in Pass Blocking… you should look it up…

    And yes Colt O-line is not very good at Run Blocking but YES it is Top 10 in Pass Blocking…. You can just tell by how much time Andrew Luck has to throw. SMH…

    NintyFivePercent,, I did say 35-17 in my prediction but I upped the ante to 42-17 before the game started. I’m sure I shared that here on TNT,, go back and search for it again…. :)

    Nevertheless, No ONE on this blog saw it coming like I did… 18 to 25 points BLOWOUT win… now that’s a Fact… :)

  74. MoSeahawk12 says:

    yes yank, you are the wisest, most knowledgeable person here and in the world….and known universe. Your need to let everyone know every time you have a thought is clearly way above 95% You should adjust your numbers. At least apply for a job as a GM, coach, or enormous head.

  75. montanamike2 says:

    I remember before the SB, laying in bed looking up at the ceiling wondering if we would win and questioning all i believed in or if my whole life was a lie. Then i thought, no we’ll win this and put on my jersey and went to the bar.

  76. Whether folks like it or not, the topic of whether civil rights were violated in Sams case IS relevant to a football blog. So is the discussion on Gay Rights or however you want to label it. Dont want to touch the subject? Then dont participate in the discussion.

    Ive used the term sexual orientation, but I try not to use the term sexual preference; but thats not to say I havent used it before. I hope, Chuck, that you dont necessarily believe you have someone figured out completely by a word choice made in haste, as many blog comments on here are done in a hurry…otherwise you might think Im anti-gay, and Im not. Im not going to march in a gay pride parade with my sister either, but I certainly dont condone discrimination based on whether someone is gay or straight.

    As for (Right Wing) Christians being persecuted–like Jews in Nazi Germany or otherwise–IMO, thats a laugh. What is happening is there is finally push-back at the “Christians” who use their religious beliefs to justify hateful speech and behavior, to justify prejudice and discrimination.

    I have no problem with those who have religion; but I do have a problem with using your religion to discriminate against others.

    MontanaMike2–I too am glad to have Baldwin back. Perhaps I will buy a Baldwin jersey. Its him or Kearse. I wouldnt be caught dead in a Harvin jersey though…You can thank Tate for Baldwin coming back. There’s no way they keep Baldwin if they pay Tate 5 million a year or more.

  77. chuck_easton says:

    I can’t wait for Thursday/Friday.

    Many questions will be answered quite quickly.

    Which players pass their physicals. Which players will start camp on active/PUP ( meaning they are recovering from a football related injury).

    Which players will start camp on the non football injury list ( can’t pass the physical due to something not related to being hurt in a game or practice).

  78. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Tate had nothing to do with Baldwin coming back.

    Tate deserves Detroit for what he did to Wilson.

  79. Just one comment here. All but one baseball team passed on Jackie Robinson either due to out and out racism or because they did not want the “distraction”. To say there is no analogy between racial discrimination and sexual orientation discrimination is pure bs. Tony Dungy is where he is today because somebody had the guts to see past all that. He is telling us he does not have the same guts, which may be honest on his part, but not exactly admirable.

  80. Southendzone says:

    Georgia, you believe the GT/RW rumor then? Was there ever any substantiation to it whatsoever?

  81. montanamike2 says:

    That rumor cracks me up.

  82. montanamike2 says:

    I think if that were true, we wouldn’t have even made him an offer.

  83. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Yes I believe the rumor that Tate introduced Wilson to Bieber.

    Is that the one you were talking about?

  84. chuck_easton says:

    I thought we were talking about the rumour that Tate will be playing C3PO and Wilson will be playing R2D2 in the upcoming Star Wars Sequel?

  85. montanamike2 says:

    If Tate introduced Wilson to Bieber then i hate Tate.

  86. NintyFivePercent says:

    yankinta
    JULY 22, 2014 AT 11:48 AM

    Nevertheless, No ONE on this blog saw it coming like I did… 18 to 25 points BLOWOUT win… now that’s a Fact… :)

    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/07/22/morning-links-available-tickets-getting-more-scarce-and-more-expensive/#comment-372544#storylink=cpy

    ——————————————————

    trout_hound
    FEB. 2, 2014 AT 9:52 AM
    This is it my friends. The day we’ve been waiting for since 1976. Enjoy every minute of it! Seahawks 31, Denver 14. Yeah baby! BEAST MODE! GO HAWKS!

    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/02/02/staff-and-celebrity-picks/#storylink=cpy

    ——————————————————-

    Audible
    FEB. 2, 2014 AT 11:34 AM
    47 – 24 Seahawks!

    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/02/02/staff-and-celebrity-picks/#storylink=cpy

    ——————————————————-

    Busted again! When you talk in absolutes, you make it very easy for me to discredit you.

  87. chuck_easton says:

    And yes, Georgia, I know that Tate is only 5′ 10″ while Wilson is 5′ 10 5/8″, but Tate isn’t considered too small for his position.

    And the joke doesn’t work otherwise.

    Just trying to lighten the mood of the room.

  88. yankinta says:

    nice!! Kutos to Audible and Trout_hound!!! :)

    That makes the three of us… love it…

  89. MoSeahawk12 says:

    You understand that No ONE means not one other person, let alone two?
    That is a FACT.
    You should try those out occasionally.

  90. MoSeahawk12 says:

    Onto something that’s 95% more interesting.
    USA Today likes our offseason.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/07/22/nfc-offseason-grades/12986739/

  91. GeorgiaHawk says:

    Chuck

    The mood is fine around here. It’s just a few that want to make Dungy into something he isn’t.

    Or to make Sam into something he isn’t. Like the next Jackie Robinson (talent wise)
    Jeffcoat was better & he didn’t get drafted at all.

    One thing I’m sure we can all agree on is it is better to let the Rams have this media circus around them instead of watching our Seahawks implode over it.

    In fact I see the Rams, niners & Cardinals imploding enough this season for one reason or another to help the Seahawks capture the NFC west again.

  92. Nice link, MoSeahawk. Scary that the top three grades went to NFC West teams. Then he says the 49ers may be the best 53-man correction of talent.

    The photo of Bowman’s ACL/MCL injury made me queasy.

  93. AzulVerde says:

    I’ll apologize one last time guys. Not sure if I was the one that really got that last topic going over the top. Was not my intention. Infact I wasn’t upset about that topic, but at one of the bloggers calling Dungy names for having an opinion and speaking with mind (without attacking anyone).

    I don’t like the fact that Politically correct means keeping your mouth shut unless you agree with the masses. i.e.: I’ve been screamed at because I said Merry Christmas Before. When the politically correct thing to say was Happy Holidays. BS IMHO.

    I do like the fact that this blog has strong personalities though. It keeps things interesting :)

    Have a Great Day All!

  94. Correction: collection, not correction.

  95. MoSeahawk12 says:

    The photo of Bowman is pretty brutal. I was with a highly regarded knee (ACL) surgeon yesterday and we discussed Bowman’s injury. This guy works on the Cardinals, Coyotes and Diamondbacks players and said that Bowman’s injury was one of the very worst he had seen. He said he would be pretty stunned if Bowman can get back to even 75% this season. This particular injury has ended many players careers as they never regain trust in the knee. Now he didn’t say that this would end Bowman’s career, but said the severity of his injury will take a long time to recover from and then even longer for Bowman to accept it mentally.

  96. “You should adjust your numbers. At least apply for a job as GM, coach or enormous head…” LOL.

    Best comment on this thread. Winner winner chicken dinner.
    Nicely done MoSeahawk12.
    And keep bringing the “facts” NintyFivePercent.

  97. “I’ve been screamed at because I said Merry Christmas Before”

    Baloney.

  98. yankinta says:

    Ehhh what’s the point?? We all gonna die soon anyway….

    “The World’s Oceans Were Hotter in June Than at Any Other Time Since Humans Started Keeping Track”

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/07/21/ocean_temperatures_highest_ever_global_warming_data_indicate_hot_june.html?wpisrc=newsletter_jcr:content&mc_cid=146fd1c853&mc_eid=3641f0e6ad

  99. yankinta says:

    lol,, I don’t play games like these but this is pretty funny…

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24632722/madden-15-ratings-russell-wilson-ties-tom-brady-at-qb

    Will Brinson is high on RW. He was called Dumb by Pete Prisco on CBS Online Interview because he said RW was on the same level as Luck, right after their rookie season….. Now who’s DUMB??? That’d be Pete Prisco…

  100. AzulVerde says:

    rbuzby;

    Seriously? Where do you get off?

    I was yelled and screamed at for saying Merry Christmas! The person even went so far as to contact my HR department and complain. I did not get into any trouble, but my company did suggest everyone at our store be more cognoscente of other religions and made the (Kind suggestion) Suggestion as in get written up if you don’t follow the suggestion. That we use Happy Holidays from that point forward…..

    The person who yelled at me I believe was Muslim, but I’m not sure of that. Needless to say they were very irritated at me for Wishing them a Merry Christmas after the sale.

    You don’t know me from Adam, and you tell me Baloney? SMH

    My2CentsWorth

  101. All of a sudden for some reason I’d like a baloney sandwich yet it sounds disgusting at the same time. MERRY GAY ASS CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! (I will not apologize for my holiday orientation as it was not a choice. I was born this way.) Not that there’s anything wrong with it…..

  102. GeorgiaHawk says:

    No Yank!

    I don’t want to die yet until this dynasty is over.

    Besides after Russell Wilson wins 5 Super Bowl MVPs the whiner fans will riot & trigger an Earth Quake that will make most of California fall into the ocean & thus cool the Globe.

    Wilson will become our next Prez because folks will be happy that he saved us from certain calamity & rid us of further PC & MC.(Media correctness).

  103. SandpointHawk says:

    Lord love a duck, if this wasn’t bad enough now you’ve open the Muslim can of worms….

  104. AzulVerde says:

    SPH, LOL I didn’t mean or want to open any can of worms. I was just stating facts on what happened. I shouldn’t have taken bait, but I got annoyed at rbuzby calling me a liar…..

    *Having off day, letting little crap get to me. Guess thats what happens when you let stress build up (nothing from the blog) This is suppose to be my escape LOL. Didn’t work so well today.

    *Smiles….

  105. chkn_liddle says:

    Azul. I don’t know you either but you are an asshole. Your ex wife thinks so, your Muslim customers and your HR dept thinks so. And all of the gay guys that didn’t have a choice think so. I have come to notice that the only people who remain convinced that being gay is a choice are “straight” evangelical men with neat hair who are sure they made the “choice” to be straight. The funny thing is they could live perfectly happy lives as their natural selves and leave the rest of us the f alone.

  106. Ha! Anchorman reference. Nice!

    Well it’s been real and it’s been fun but it ain’t been real fun here today. Time for the Scotchy Scotch to go down into my belly. Work day done. Weird ass blog thread read for the day. I hope all you gays and straights have a wonderful evening. Until next time. Go Hawks.

    FYI only a couple days til camp and things can return to normal where we argue and discuss actual American football. Not that soccer stuff the gays play. (Totally kidding. I apologize)

  107. Ray_Maines says:

    Some things that puzzle me about the gay/straight situation:

    1) Being gay doesn’t rub off. I can play football with 21 gay guys and I’ll still be straight. I’ll still like girls when the game’s over.

    2) If it turns out being gay is a sin, God will deal with it later. Lust, sloth, jealousy and greed are sins too, and I’d be better off cleaning my own house first.

    3) I’m old, fat, ugly and I have a hard time getting girls to look at me, so why would I think a gay guy wants any part of me? I can relax, I’m safe.

  108. AzulVerde says:

    chkn_liddle,

    You are entitled to think what you want, especially since you don’t know me! People who do know me, would disagree with you. I’m a lot of things opinionated might even be one of them A**hole is not one of them. Shoot I doubt even my Ex Wife would say that.

    All of that being said, you would benefit from reading the simple rules of the board. I’m pretty sure calling someone an A**hole is not within the rules.

    I disagree with people from time to time on here, I never result to insulting or attacking another member though.

    Seems your handle says something about you though. I doubt you would call me that to my face!!

    Good day to you sir.

  109. Chikn-Ldl–You are out of line. Read the blog rules, or leave. This isn’t the first time for you either.

    Azul–Dude, I don’t agree with your opinions on stuff on this thread, but you just flat out owned our resident Troll Mr. Lidl!

  110. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

    chuck, not trying to pick a fight but you can’t have it both ways, you tore this blog up over tebow and his beliefs. yet here you are defending gay rights.

    point blank no one has a right to condemn period, calling people names because they don’t agree with you or attacking them is childish and part of the problem.

  111. AzulVerde says:

    Hot button Topics can always raze hackles. But we can agree to disagree and be civil. People calling other’s insulting names does nothing but show someones true colors and intelligence. IMHO.

    If I offended anyone with my opinions I apologize. It was not directed at anyone…
    it might surprise many of you to know that I don’t believe in discrimination in any form. I just don’t think everyone has to be quiet if what you have to say might offend someone especially if your not specifically attacking anyone, but just stating a belief or opinion.

    Many of us disagree on the Redskins issue and whether it’s an issue or non issue. But expressing an opinion one way or the other doesn’t make anyone an idiot.

    Again my sincerest apologies if anyone took offense to my comments.

  112. Tebow’s “beliefs” had nothing to do with his not making it in the NFL. And yet, there are still plenty of people who claim he wasn’t given a chance because of his religion. That had nothing to do with it.

    Some of those same people feel like allowing gays to marry is somehow infringing on their religion, because they don’t agree with it. Like the poster who claimed Christians in America today are being treated like the Jews in Nazi Germans.

    This “christians are the victims” concept is absurd, and baseless, but it is being used effectively to motivate people, who seem to think that allowing gay people to have the same rights as anyone else somehow equals “oppression” for Christians.

    Tony Dungy can work against gay people all he wants, and people who disagree can say so. Meanwhile, the laws of the USA are going to support equality for all, no matter who gets upset by it.

    The founders made sure that religion would not run the government or the laws of the land, so take it up with them if you don’t like “gay rights”.

  113. jawpeace says:

    Hello Rbuzby learn how to read. No where do I say that Christians are being treated like Jews were in WW2. I said that the propaganda of the GBL movement has targeted conservative Christians. If you oppose their movement you are demonized.

    If I post Gay pride- get a lot of praise. Post Straight pride- then I am a narrow minded religious bigot. This is what society is accepting as truth.

    The demonizing of a group is only phase one of what the Nazi regime did. Observation equivocally shows that in History people have repeatedly fallen for propaganda in various forms. It is an effective tool in changing a culture.

    And I see that Christians are now beginning to enter into phase one.(Which by the way is tame compared to later phases.)

  114. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

    rbuzby, i never implied tebow was not given a chance i was referring to comments on this blog.

    also marriage is between a man and woman i base this not on my faith but on 5000 years of tradition. some gays not any i know want the marriage title where most just want the same benefits afford to a married couple. that by the way has been on the table since 91 i believe , always turned down because it is us that must conform.less then 2% of the population are gay yet the other 98% are to conform to your beliefs rather than honor our own beliefs . the funny part is none of you see the hypocrisy in your own statements . i have gay friends i treat then no different than anyone else, i do not approve of the way they live but that is their choice just as it is my right to believe it is wrong. if you say anything against this then you are no better than what you profess to hate. it always angers me when people scream for tolerance but have none themselves.

    rbuzby lastely if you really believe christians are not persecuted then you need to open your eyes. in middle east christians are being slaughtered ,in canada christians are being thrown in jail because they will not say homosexuality is ok. we all have rights to our own life our own beliefs. i think it is a shame that AzulVerde says in very polite and respectful manner how he feels and some go ballistic and get all hateful toward him. why should we be tolerant of your opinions and beliefs when you have no respect for ours. its one thing to beat people up over football related things another all together to attack them because of their core beliefs or lifestyle

  115. On a happy note – got my tickets today!!!

  116. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

    rbuzby, also the constitution was set up to keep government out of religion not the other way around. that is truly the most ignorant thing i have read tonight.

  117. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

    what game xcman?

  118. jawpeace says:

    Well said Hawkfaninok.
    Did you know that Iraq has lost two-thirds of its Christian population since 2003?
    Christians are reportedly being crucified in the Middle East.

    That’s right, crucified.

    This latest atrocity – by jihadists in Syria – is part of a wave of Christian persecution that is sweeping the Middle East and North Africa, a wave of persecution worse even than in biblical times.

    While no where near the Middle East, America level of hostility towards Christians is starting to increase. And those who preach tolerance are being the most intolerant.
    http://aclj.org/free-speech-2/a-conservative-professors-long-quest-for-justice-ends-in-victory

  119. Macabrevity says:

    I know many of you want to quash this conversation but I find it interesting enough while we’re all waiting for camp to start.

    I’d like to point out the irony for all the neo-cons moralists who claim homosexuality to be a choice…. by their own logic, they are essentially repressed homosexuals who are only ‘choosing’ to be hetero because they think it’s their moral obligation.

  120. “rbuzby, also the constitution was set up to keep government out of religion”

    The founders did not want a state sanctioned religion. Yes, they wanted the government to stay out the religion business. And they also made sure that there would be no religious requirement for holding public office. They didn’t want the new country to get into wars over religion.

    It’s history 101. They weren’t trying to create a “christian” form of government, even though the country was mostly christian. They were trying to create a nation based on laws and the constitution, not one governed by religion. Because that would inevitably lead to conflict over “what god wants”. It’s not hard to see why that was such a great idea.

    Look at the oath of office. The one the President, the troops and all federal employees take. They swear to uphold the constitution, not the bible.

    Look at the treaty of Tripoli from 1796. Negotiated under George Washington and signed by Adams. Here is what the treaty says:

    “”As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen” (muslims).

    The US government was not founded on the Christian religion. Just another example of how smart the founders were.

*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

JavaScript is required to post comments.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0