Seahawks’ Bobby Wagner stirs the pot … a little … by saying Broncos were scared

Post by Darrin Beene / The News Tribune on July 15, 2014 at 3:38 pm with 152 Comments »
July 15, 2014 3:38 pm

As if the Seahawks-Broncos games this year needed any more build up, there was this from Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on ESPN’s “First Take”:

The Broncos were intimidated from the start by the Seahawks’ defense in the Super Bowl.

Bulletin board material? Hardly.

Obvious by the game’s score? Undoubtedly.

Anyway, Wagner visited with co-host Stephen A. Smith, who asked him if he thought the Broncos’ offense was intimidated.

Wagner’s response: “You’re not wrong,” Wagner said on ESPN. “They looked scared out there. Nobody wanted to catch the ball. Nobody wanted to come up the middle.”

Wagner said he thought Kam Chancellor’s hit on receiver Demarvius Thomason in the first quarter was a factor.

“If you look at the previous games, [the Broncos] got a lot of balls across the middle,” Wagner said. “That first hit [by Chancellor] came across the middle and smacked him.

“You didn’t really see too many balls caught across the middle [after that play]. They were very timid. That says a lot about our defense.”

This is the kind of stuff that qualifies as “interesting” at this point in the season, when most teams are enjoying the last few days off before training camp. The Seahawks, given their status as defending Super Bowl champions, can get used to making “news” … and I put that in quotes … just about anytime a player says anything.

Such is life when you blow out the NFL’s best offense 43-8 in a game that wasn’t as close as the score would indicate.

And really, does it matter? It’s not like the Broncos aren’t looking forward to the two games vs. Seattle this year (Denver and Seattle meet in the exhibition season on Aug. 7 and then again, when it counts, in Seattle, on Sept. 21.)

Knighton says for the Seahawks & us fans that they are ready for a war.

2. Demaryius Thomas got utterly smashed on that hit by Chancellor. I take two things from that hit:

1. It did seem like most Broncos pass catchers used a little more caution (to put it nicely) when catching the ball from that point on out.

2. Even though Thomas got brutally hit (and received a shoulder injury) on that play, he remained a warrior on the football field for the remainder of the game. He didn’t play scared (like it seemed others did) one bit the rest of the way. Maxwell made a great play later on forcing the fumble, but Thomas was probably the guy who played the hardest and toughest on the entire Broncos team. Although the Broncos got (orange) crushed in the Super Bowl, I cannot begin to tell you how much more I was impressed with how good Thomas is/was.

Thomas was on the losing end, no doubt, but he was kind of like Cortez Kennedy (in a way) in ’92 when he played great personally – but played with guys who played like crap (in part because of going up against a team that was simply better then they).

3. montanamike2 says:

That hit was my favorite play of the game. It set the tone right off the bat and the Donkeys folded instantly. Since i wear #31 i am a bit biased though.

4. Bobbyk–I agree, Thomas played like a stud. He had 12 more catches after that hit, vs the Legion of Boom. He caught a badass TD too. I liked him out of college, thought he was a great pickup–I like him even more now. Bet Elway dreams of throwing passes to him…

I didn’t think the Broncs were scared; they just weren’t prepared to face our D, and our D saw every play coming.

On D, LB Danny Trevathan was a one-man wrecking ball; unblockable. Knighton was a load as well.

They will be better next year, with LT Clady, their C, DT’s Wolfe and Vickerson, CB Chris Harris back, not to mention new additions Talib and Ware.

We’re still gonna beat them lol!

5. AZBubba71 says:

It’s not bragging if it’s true.

The only thing that I am bitter about (slightly) is that my 100 to 1 bet on the Seahawks to shutout the Broncos. $20 was about to win $2000. I was literally just starting to look at the clock and count the number of possessions that Denver would likely have left when they scored that meaningless TD.

Had so many Crown & Cokes and shots of Fireball (after each Seahawk score) that I really didn’t mind all that much.

I don’t know about scared either, but they were clearly out of sorts from the get-go. As evidence, the botched snap on their opening possession.

7. Ray_Maines says:

We’ll all know who was or wasn’t scared on Sept. 21st.

8. I think we found that out on Feb. 2. This is a different year.

There was no way I was putting any booze in my mouth on Super Sunday. I like beers, but if they won, I wanted it to be an all natural high and I wasn’t disappointed. Had they lost, however, I might have have a coupleteen.

The only thing I was mad about was putting a few hundred on Wilson to be the MVP of the game. I still came out on top, but it would litterally have been (a) Grand (for me) had he been named MVP.

9. Bronco’s were just physically more dominate in every aspect, and I think the Hawks entire team just was too much for them. Wagner, Avril, and Clemons gang tackle of the rb is the perfect example of the way the Hawks played ferocious. Nobody really gets hits on Marshawn Lynch like that ever, and if they try Breno or The Sweaz would clean that pile up. The Hawks had several key components peaking, and gelling to the gratification of JS giant python like arms. Tate, Big Red, Thurmond, McDonald and Clemons might be missed, but Hawks got a ring with them, and the majority peaked this year, and several had problems like maturity, and injury. Tate took his entire rookie contract to really shine, and WT3/ Browner are seemingly inching closer to nfl banishment.

I really have no doubt this Hawks team will be better this year with the competition to replace those guys. When PC decides to hang up his bubble gum, and walk away god help who ever tries to coach this team.

10. seatowntp says:

I think that it is a salient point that the broncos had not faced that kind of physicality throughout the season. Looking at the bronco defense, they did not HIT, wrap up, or tackle with intensity (i.e. Kearse’s touchdown, or Sherm’s son’s TD).

Wags certainly doesn’t appear to be concerned about maintaining such a brash attitude. I hope he is correct in his assessment that the D will be even better this year.

Go Hawks

11. seatowntp says:

Can you identify that baby face? (Not too difficult)

12. seatowntp says:

How about this face? (Some faces don’t change that much!)

13. Ewalters7354 says:

At 12:57 am(louisiana time) I became the father a healthy baby boy!My first child and he’s named after me.I cannot express the gratitude I feel right now.Just basking in the glow…

Just sayin…IM A DADDY!!!

14. CDHawkFan says:

Congrat Ewalters, its a fun ride, especially after the first 3 or so months.

As far as the SB, I (like many on here) have watched it 20 or so times now, I can’t remember another game where the D was that punishing. Its not just Cam’s hit, it was throughout the game, 2 to 3 guys putting helmets into Broncos backs. I would say there was at least a dozen big hits/punishing hits that stood out to me, were in a normal game you might see 3 – 4 tops.

PC and the rest of the staff had those guys jacked up, were for Denver it looked like a typical game. Denver wasn’t scared, they just didn’t play up, didn’t play with the same ‘special’ meaning. PC sure can motivate a crew, we’ve seen it over the years when it comes to playing on the road and East Coast games. Talent helps, but to me a lot is just mental BS that he has helped overcome

15. montanamike2 says:

Congratulations Ewalters7354! Your child was born the year we won the SB, it doesn’t get any better than that,(except maybe winning the powerball too).

Congratulations Ewalters.

17. confucious says:

Congratulations Ewalters!

18. Hey, congratulations EWalters! Being a father is the best!

A friend of mine gave me a book called On the Day You Were Born. He apologized for it being “kinda Hippy”, but Ive told him no need to apologize; I wasnt able to get through reading that book to my son (my first) without choking up till he was five or six lol!

Being a Daddy will do that to you….

19. Southendzone says:

STT, that is a great book.. know exactly what you mean there. Also congrats to EW.

Saw this article yesterday, thought it was OK, but I loved this guy’s comment at the end who had an interesting way to argue Luck vs Wilson stats.

“Jake Michael Tanier • 2 days ago
    I don’t know, I guess it decides which one you think is more cherry picked between quarterback rating and interception percentage. We could also look at ANY/A, which brings together yards, completion percentage, TDs, and INTs into one stat (and where Wilson wins 7.1 to 6.06) but I think the easiest comparison is this:

For Wilson to produce Andrew Luck’s stat line he would have to throw an additional 301 passes, complete 86 of them for 465 yards, have negative three touchdowns and two interceptions. The hypothetical delta-Wilson quarterback would have 1.24 ANY/A, putting him a solid 2.75 ANY/A behind Terrelle Pryor, the worst in the league in 2013.

Do you really think Luck’s rate stats are close to Wilson’s?”

Lucks & Wilson are the two best young QBs in the NFL imo.

It would be awesome if Irvin could rebound from last years performance.

21. SandpointHawk says:

Congratulation Big Easy…good times indeed.

22. chuck_easton says:

Congratulations EWalters!

Welcome to the fraternity of dads.

It’s the best job you’ll ever have, even when he is a teenager and you are suddenly the dumbest person on the planet!

I hear they become human again in their 20′s. I’m hoping for that.

Best advice any parent will give you. Spend as much time with your son while he’s young enough to think you turn on the stars at night and tell the sun when to rise.

You can’t get those days back once their gone.

23. Chuck–Your final sentences tear me up. Ive worked away from home during the week most of my little guys life, and have a newborn at home. I dont get to spend enough time with them, and when I do, Im often preoccupied with problem-solving. I try my best, and fail often, but I never quit.

Your advice is the best Ive heard in awhile. My only advice is say I Love You every day, and never give up. Because those days when your kids believe you are invincible do go by quickly, and you cant ever get them back.

24. Congratulations, EWalters!

25. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, when I think about Bruce Irvin, I think about Chandler Jones from the Pats. He was drafted several spots after Bruce. I thought he would have been a better DE for us. He had 12 sacks last year…

Let’s see if Bruce can save the faces of our FO when comparing himself to Chandler Jones…

26. doubledink says:

Congratulations, EWalters!

27. PDXCOP80 says:

Is that not the truth Chuck. I just lost one daughter to teenage eye roll, and am cherishing every moment with the little one who still holds my hand when we walk. Damn it goes fast. Congrats EWalt. Here’s another tip: Sleep when they sleep. It might be all you get!

28. SaigonSun says:

EWalt, congrats on your newborn son. Enjoy every moment with him. As kids grow, the pleasures will always be there…..just a bit diferent every time.
    And , be very tolerant of your wife…. its called post delivery madness for a reason!! Her body and her hormones are trying to get back to normal. Do your best for your baby— for your son.

29. Ewalters7354 says:

I truly appreciate it guys.Its feel so surreal.Throughout the years I’ve really admired a lot of you guys here and I am grateful for all the advice leading up to my son being born.

Thanks again guys!

Yankinta,

When I think of Bruce Irvin I think of DeCastro.

I also think of the playoff game that Wilson won for us only to see Irvin & co, give it right back to Atlanta.

We might be talking three in a row now if it wasn’t for that.

31. yankinta says:

DeCastro has been a bust so far, so I don’t wonder about that. However Jones has been a lot better than Bruce, and Jones would have been able to Stop the Run against that Falcons team better then Bruce. That’s why I still wonder to this day.

You might want to re-think your view of DeCastro.
    Aside from injuries DeCastro looks to be on his way to All pro.

Sweezy is headed that way too. It just might take him a little longer.

33. Hahahaha!

Thanks, Georgia! I needed a good belly laugh! Sweezy on his way to All-Pro! WHooo-eee! Thats a good one!

He MIGHT need to play an entire season at an average level first, ya think? And then maybe make a Pro Bowl or two?! While its arguable he was playing at an average level through the playoffs (or better), he surely wasnt for much of the season. He’s improving, I’ll give him that, but I can think of quite a few other guys I think will make All Pro for the first time before him on our team. Heck, even Carpenter has a better shot at making All Pro before Sweezy, and he’s in the same boat–got to start an entire year and play halfway decent before getting to All Pro!

In fact, saying Sweezy and All Pro in the same sentence is really ridiculous. Its gonna take him YEARS before he has any shot of getting there. Shoot, its gonna take him years to make the Pro Bowl…

There’s no way the guy becomes the best RG in football, period. Thats really funny!

And I dont know what youre smoking, our nickel back was mainly to blame, along with Bradley’s idiotic prevent D that lost us the Atlanta game.

34. But I do agree that DeCastro is a stud, and we should have drafted him.

35. Georgia–Im not picking on you, I just totally disagree with you on Sweezy. I cant see a world where he gets voted the best RG in the NFL. I think thats the wildest prognostication Ive ever heard on this blog…

But then again I have the mind of a Steel Sieve, so what do I know lol?!

36. yankinta says:

I actually like Sweezy as well. He definitely has a Pro Bowl Potential.

STTBM, you need to consider the quality of Opponent. Sweezy has been facing Top DT in the NFL where DeCastro has been facing the bottom halves of the DT in the NFL in a very Weak AFC.

If Sweezy can stay healthy, I think he will improve a lot this season. I’d much rather have Sweezy than DeCastro, based on where they were picked.

Go easy on my Sweezy.

38. Ok Georgia, Im trying lol! I just couldnt let that one pass. If you’d said he was on the path to being a legit NFL starter, and might make a Pro Bowl someday, I might have agreed!

I would rather have both Sweezy & DeCastro before Carp & HyperBowie.

40. doubledink says:

Slave, you are dead on with what lost the Atlanta game.

Heck, I would rather have breezy over wheezy.

Btw I must have been smoking the same thing the FO was because (if you remember) after the Atlanta game in 2012 they went out & got some decent pass rushers that weren’t just one trick ponies like Irvin.

What were their names? Manning, Brees & Kaep knows.

43. Southendzone says:

JR Sweezy jerseys are in the top 12 NFL jersey sales from January to June 2014, AND he was knighted by the Queen of England over the 4th of July weekend.

44. Southendzone says:

actually in case that’s a real website, probably don’t click it, you never know what might be there.

45. The Atlanta Game Loss could also be placed directly on Sweezy’s shoulders, Georgia. Certainly more than on Irvins for not sacking the qb.

Late in the first half, Sweezy flat BLEW his block, as I knew he would (I was screaming at the TV to get Moffitt in there, or at least run the ball, cause Sweezy couldnt block a delayed LB blitz), that led to a sack of RW in the Red Zone and cost us 7 points in the first half. What was the margin of loss again?! Yeah, less than 7 points…

When Moffitt was in the game, we moved the ball and could pass. With Sweezy in, every pass attempt he was allowing pressure. His favorite trick was to stand there looking stupid in pass pro, then turn to help the RT block…leaving his gap wide open for a delayed blitz from a LB. This happened many times his first two and a half years in the league…slow learner.

Irvin was part of the losing effort in that game, but he made no egregious mistakes that “caused” the loss. Despite the lack of pass rush, Seattle was in it, and would have won but for 3-4 plays; The Sweezy sack (one of the worst individual screw ups Ive ever seen), The stupid 9th attempt of the season to do a FB Dive on fourth down and short that fooled no one in the stadium (Wasnt Sweezy unable to even block his man on this play, let alone stop the blitzing S?!), and the two pass plays to end the game when Bradley called Soft Zone Prevent, and our LB’s and Nickel Back blew it.

Those are the plays that cost us the game, not a phantom sack from Irvin.

46. Georgia–I will bet you a nickel that Carpenter outplays Sweezy this year, hows that? Doesnt change the fact that we should have sat Sweezy’s ass and let Bowie play RG last year, or at least given up on poor fatass Carpenter and the decrepit McQ and put him in at LG, where he’s a better fit.

47. But if I lose, you have to give me a PO Box at least so I can mail you the nickel. I promise I’ll send you a clean one lol! And it wont even be wooden lol!

Even Better, If you lose, Ima have a T-Shirt made for you that says I (Heart) Fat Carp on it…and you have to wear it! If I lose, You have a shirt made for me (lime green) that says It Aint Easy Being Sweezy and I will wear it and send a pic to the Trib blog…

Deal?!

48. SandpointHawk says:

What ever happened to the California TNT blogger who lost a bet on here and went out in a tutu and posted the picture for us. Good times and a better bet than a damn clean nickle. Hell, a wooden nickle might be worth more these days…Just my 5¢…

A nickel? Sounds like you are already expecting to lose.

Funny how the FO didn’t go out & find anyone to replace Sweezy however they sure did with Irvin.

In fact they gave Irvin another chance at LB which he said saved his career.

You really don’t know why Moffitt wasn’t playing ahead of Sweezy?

The same reason Carpenter sucked last year & HyperBowie will probably lose RT this year.

Fat out of shape players can’t produce well, especially in the 4th qtr of games.

50. Anyone busy Saturday? This is like a mile from my house

And on a side note- the band is 2 former students of mine

51. Sandpoint–I must have missed the Tutu incident! Durn, sounds funny!

No way in hell Im going to bet anything like that. I did tell my family I’d go out in the snow in my jockey shorts and make a snow angel if Seattle beat the Skins in the playoffs in 2007…they did, and they all laughed as I made the snow angel..in my jockeys, just as I’d promised lol!

Georgia–They havent replaced Irvin. Last I checked, he’s still here, and they are gonna use him at DE as well as at LB. They just added to the arsenal, which was a no-brainer whether Irvin did well or flopped, as we had no pass rush (youre right about that) and you can NEVER have too many pass rushers.

And Moffitt WAS playing ahead of Sweezy. Im pretty sure he started, but regardless he was alternating series with Sweeze, and he was being put in when for obvious passing situations. What does that say about Sweezy’s understanding and ability at that time?

Bowie should not have showed up fat, but Im kinda glad. He’s not a RT anyhow (he’s a G), and I want Britt starting and learning on the job, just as Sweezy was allowed to; he’ll learn faster that way, and he’s our RT of the future, so lets ride or die with him.

And did you notice I quit referring to Carpenter as FatCarp? There’s a reason for that. Dude’s in shape, and is (finally) motivated. I expect he will play well this year. After that, is anyone’s guess.

Ya wanna bet for the Silly T-Shirts or what?!

52. xcman–Sounds like a good time. Im in MT or I’d be up for it…Tell us how it went, maybe post some pics…

53. montanamike2 says:

Yeah, i’d go too if i could.

Problem with betting you STTBM is that Sweezy could make all pro, (I won’t say pro bowl because that means the Seahawks won’t be in the Super Bowl)
    & you would still say he sucks, so how could I win that bet with you?

Really I would be thrilled if Carp outplayed Sweezy. That would mean we would have one hell of a run blocking line.

55. montanamike2 says:

Seriously, i wouldn’t mind losing a bet if it meant a dominate o-line.

STTBM,

Read this article & tell us again if Irvin Wasn’t replaced last season at DE & was moved to LB.
    Got you cornered now. Lol.

In fact Irvin said he thanked Norton everyday for saving his career.

But like I said on my first post about this, it was Irvin & co that that gave this game away to Atlanta. Meaning he had some help.

57. That Defense didn’t need Irvin’s help blowing 4th quarter leads. This problem first became evident when they got worked over by Sexy Rexy Grossman, Alex Smith and John Skelton to end the 2011 season. Then it seemed to be a curse for 2012.

If not for the Tip, it would be something we would still be talking about.

That’s right Pabs. It’s hard to fault Irvin much when he didn’t show up all.

59. Georgia–Irvin was NOT replaced. They were going to go out and get at least one more pass rusher on the outside regardless of how well he did. Also, they were after a tweener since Jones didnt work out–Bennett was coming regardless of Irvins performance. Yes, Irvin was moved to LB in part because his pass rush was spotty, but mostly because he has insane coverage ability and wasnt stout enough vs the run. His weakness vs the run was what got him moved, not his pass rush, which was fine. Its hard to get much accomplished when youre one-dimensional.

Sweezy could be named to the Pro Bowl and not show up because we are in the SB. You think if we go to the SB he’s gonna get voted All Pro just because?! I’ll go out on a limb and say there’s no way Sweezy is All Pro this year. In fact, he wont be next year either, no matter how well he plays; he isnt that good and he’s not a known entity.

Of course I want Sweezy to succeed–no one wants it more than me. And I keep saying he’s improving. Its just I havent seen anything but blind religious faith from Georgia to say he’s gonna be a great player. From what Ive seen, he’s a guy that might figure it out after 4-6 years of starting, but he’s not a Pro Bowl and certainly not an All Pro player in his near future.

And Sweezy didnt suck all last year–just the first 2/3 of the season. After that, he was mediocre, all things considered. He never had one dominate game. In a couple games he was avg, and thats what Im hoping for this year; avg performance, with a few games where he plays very well. That will be good enough for me to quit being pissed he’s our RG.

If he exceeds my expectations and plays well consistently, then I will be happy to admit it, and celebrate it.

I dont bet, except in fun, thus the nickel/T-shirt bet. And if I lose the bet, I will be happy to wear a lime green shirt that celebrates Sweezy, because that will mean he’s exceeded everyone but Cable and Georgias expectations.

The way you talk in hyperbole about Sweezy, how good he is, and how good he’s going to be, it comes off like religious fanaticism, Georgia, because you really arent backing it up with anything but blind faith.

Golden Tate has a better shot of making All Pro than Sweezy does of making the Pro Bowl…

Georgia–Irvin also didnt make glaring mistakes in the Atlanta game, like even the sainted ET and SHerm did, not to mention Wagner, who blew the final play and allowed that ancient Gonzalez to limp to a 20-yard reception.

Blaming Irvin for the Atlanta game is flat stupid. Its utterly asinine. Plenty of other players could be singled out for blowing the game, but not him. He wasnt great, but he was usually where he was supposed to be and didnt blow the game. Youre simply being belligerent.

60. C’mon Georgia, take the bet!

You know you wanna wear a Pro-Carp shirt with pride and post it on here–and make me pay for it too lol!

This is a very good article by Rang.
    This finding the fit article is so much better because it focuses more on how the Seahawks intend to use the players drafted in their system as apposed to just making a general evaluation based on College production & how well they did at the combine & bowl games ect…

I think the Seahawks organization is changing the minds of how draft geeks go about their player evaluations.

No mention of Luke Willson in this article though.

Probably because Rang knows he jumped the gun with his evaluation on Willson last year at camp.

If Rang continues to go about his future evaluations this way I think he will leap frog over his competitors & perhaps become the (Hair) replacement.

Lol Yankinta.

As we see Marino in the background thinking-

“If I only could have controlled my temper I would have been a great leader like Russell Wilson & have a SuperBowl ring too.”

“Now my legacy will go down as being the second best regular season QB to ever play in the NFL.”

64. Southendzone says:

That’s what makes Marshawn awesome. Sitting there like he doesn’t GAF whatsoever, doesn’t even come up on stage for the best team award, and when the season rolls around he’s gonna be crashing through everyone with the strength of a rhinoceros.

i wish someone would have mentioned during Peyton’s award that he really didn’t break the passing yardage record because his last pass was a backwards pass and should have been considered running yards.

65. montanamike2 says:

Peyton wouldn’t have those kind of stats if he played in the NFC. To rank him #1 in the top 100 is weird after he got his rear kicked in the SB, he’s smart and very talented but definitely on the downside of his career. I think the NFL overpraises him so they can get him in the HOF, i might change my mind if he wins a SB in the next 2 years but i don’t think he will. Truth is, he’s one major hit from ending his career. My 2 cents.

66. yankinta says:

montanamike2,, lol someone finally agrees with me. In his lone SB win, he beat the great Rex Grossman… lol and Colts Defense carried him throughout that playoff too, cuz he had more interceptions than TD’s during that SB run. :)

67. seahawk44 says:

Did anyone notice that when Dr J was about to announce the winner for best team ….. he made the comment that it was obvious (it would be the Spurs) since he and Carmelo were the presenters. Then he looked shocked (as did most of the audience) when he opened the envelope and read Seattle Seahawks.

I hope this franchise is about to go on a dynasty run that hasn’t been seen in the super bowl era before.

68. Southendzone says:

Seahawk44, i saw that too but I took it a different way. He said something like:

“It should be no surprise with #7 and #6 up here, what’s coming”. Carmelo wears 7, DR J wore 6. I thought he was having a math error and thinking that they added up to 12, therefore the Hawks were gonna win.

He sort of stopped his sentence short because he realized his addition was totally effed up!

That was my take on it at least.

69. TallyHawk says:

Since Sweezy is a hot topic I thought I’d share this. I played golf the other day on vacation with an O lineman from the packers. I was by myself and got grouped with him, his brother and dad. We talked quite a bit of football as you could imagine. When the subject of the O line came up the first guy he mentioned was Sweezy. He played against him in college and was pretty impressed with the transition he has made from D line. He asked what people thought about him. I said I know a few fans haven’t been impressed with him but that I thought he improved a lot towards the end of last season. I also added that I think he could be pretty good this year. He agreed saying he thought he had a chance to be good and that if they can stay healthy our O line should be pretty good. He didn’t say anything about all pro or pro bowl but he definitely thought he was going to much better than his first couple years.

70. montanamike2 says:

Good stuff TallyHawk.

Thanks TallyHawk.
    Like I said Sweezy is headed in that direction but DecCastro has a better chance to get there first.

I am going to go out on a big fat limb & say Sweezy & Carp will be the best run blocking tandem by the end of this season.

Pass blocking? Not so much.

72. yankinta says:

Southendzone,, lol 7 and 6 was supposed to mean 1976, when the Seahawks an expansion team. :)

73. Southendzone says:

Oh that’s hilarious. I thought Dr. J was losing it in the simple math department! hahahaha

74. montanamike2 says:

I think he was genuinely shocked.

75. Catching up on posts from the last 48… Why does Georgia rag on Irvin so much?? Loves Sweezy but despises Irvin.. One of those guys sacks the QB 10 times & the other gives up 10 sacks.

76. Southendzone says:

What is there to rag on Irvin about? He was brought in as a sack specialist, did a reasonable job at it, and was moved to LB and did a reasonable job at it.

Gotta give the guy some slack for learning a new position after his rookie season. No reason to think he won’t have a solid to great season this year wherever they play him. He’s still a freak athlete.

77. As it stands now, Irvin has not performed up to his draft position. Maybe that changes this year or maybe it doesn’t.

Irvin pretty much lost his job to Smith last year.

If you look at all my posts about him you will see that I want him to live up to all his first round hype. He just isn’t doing it right now.
    Hopefully that will change soon because Irvin’s getting closer to 30.
    Remember, Irvin was a first rounder that has lost reps first at DE & now at LB.

Sweezy was a converted 7th round d-lineman that is exceeding expectations.

One appears to be going backwards While the other is going forward.

It will be interesting to see if Carp & Irvin can live up to their being first round picks.

Right now being consistent average players would be good.

My two cents.

80. It would be great to have Irvin, Carpenter, and Sweezy all be performing at an average level all year. Of the three, Ivin is performing nearly average, as he’s a pretty fantastic coverage LB with pass rush speed, who struggles vs the run but does make the occasional splash play there.

Carpenter is no longer SuperFat and out of shape, and Sweezy is improving, so there’s hope there.

I think Irvin will play quite a bit as a pass-rushing DE, as well as a LB. Its gonna be hard to get him on the field with both Wright and Smith playing so well though.

Agree STTBM,

And it doesn’t help Irvin that he is set back a little by injury to start the season.

82. Really? The Seahawks at the ESPYs, awards won, speeches made and nothing posted by TNT???? Me thinks the blog is dead til training camp….. Boooooo! I guess this is where I eat crow and thank GeorgiaHawk for posting the links… Georgia my sincerest apologies, my man…I am like Arthur Fonzarelli..I was wrrrrrr….wrrrrrr….I was wrrrrr…wrrrrrr…wrong… Please forgive. :)

83. And I know TDKnee is on vacation but c’mon man….ridonkulous…

DFloydd – First of all, it’s the ESPYs. Enough said. Second, Todd is on vacation and mid-July is notoriously the slowest time on this blog, and for many years now. Of course to be fair, during the busiest time of the year, all you’d likely get is a re-tweet of the ESPYs posted. Still, the ESPYs are the lamest award show still running.

85. The calm before the storm… our Hawks are going to be ready to roll…

Really, I can’t think of a team where…

The QB is still hungry and ONLY in his 3rd year. He is naturally getting better (and his line can’t get any worse).

Our FS and leader of the defense is still in the prime of his career (in the early stages of his prime to boot). And his unit still has a good pass rush.

The face of our franchise is still hungry, too. Sure, he may be in a zillion dollar home but he wants to continue proving people wrong.

86. I want them to prove on the field they are still hungry – they can talk all they want – talk is cheap…

87. Just watched the season recap DVD again – it amazes me how many times they got lucky of the course of the season (of course they made most of that luck and took advantage of it) but geez – you can see why SF – Ari – STL think they have a chance to move up on us.

88. After watching last season highlights I am still not sure why Baldwin isn’t a top contender for returning punts

Hey Goddell, if you kept the draft dates where they’re supposed to be, you wouldn’t have to move it. (God damn, I hate him more by the day…)

90. agreed Duke – but I actually don’t mind the idea of it moving around – maybe someday it could be here in Seattle!!

91. Ray_Maines says:

Im so good with all of this.

The draft goes to four days. Hey cool!!

The draft goes to ten days. Hey cool!!

The pre-season goes to eight weeks. Hey cool!!

The regular season goes to 18 weeks. Hey cool!!

The regular season goes to 52 weeks. Hey cool!!

They play games on every single day of the week. Hey cool!!

If you don’t like it, all ya gotta do is not watch it. Don’t buy beer and don’t watch TV and everything will be all better.

92. confucious says:

I don’t mind the current setup and think Goodell is making a mistake by stretching the season and events of the nfl too far.
    Look at the state of baseball. 162 games is too much. There’s not enough time in my life to stay interested in a season stretched that long.
    I mean, I look forward to winter and the snow, but I wouldn’t want it every day. Prime rib is great but if I had to eat it seven days a week….not so much. Sex is great, but if I had it everyday….ok, my bad.

Eric may not work here anymore & I know it’s the slow time of year but for a moment I felt like we had him back to give us that off season fix that some of us can’t seem to get enough of.

94. chuck_easton says:

Goodell is just the messenger. Everything he says about extending the season, expanding the playoffs, moving a team to London, all of this, is coming from the owners.

Goodell is hired by the owners, is paid by the owners, and only the owners can fire him.

If you want to hate anybody Duke, look at the ownership group.

DFloydd,

No problem,
    I’m glad you got some positive use from the links.

I fully understand that some stuff is entirely useless to some, regardless if any Seahawks are involved with it or not however everyone is different.

Sure normally I wouldn’t pay much attention to ESPYs, however how can one not at least be proud & interested in watching some of the Seahawks players celebrate any award that the team & players receive regardless who it comes from?

Especially when they give national attention to the 12th man.

Besides I think it was worth it just to see Lynch being Lynch & Kaeps reaction to being roasted about the Sherman Crabtree play. That alone was priceless.

In other words DFloyyd, I understand your interest in the ESPYs this year.

97. Ray_Maines says:

Eric says: San Diego [on offense] will not be bullied at the line of scrimmage.

Ray says: Yes they will.

Ray_Maines – You miss the point entirely. It’s not the product I have an issue with. Obviously. I love football. It’s Goodell’s manipulation of the product and NFL brand that’s watering down the anticipation and significance of particular events. Every single product that’s ever been marketed has a tipping point, where the marketing and distribution ends up hurting the product far more than perpetuating it. Goodell is quickly approaching that point, IMO. And I’m not alone. Commissioners and owners of other sports franchises have spoke to him about this. But again, that’s just my opinion.

As much as I have complained about Holmgren’s GM & Lame duck season ect… I’ve always admired him for all the other stuff he contributed to the NFL.

I think he really wanted to bring a Super Bowl win to Seattle & he was so close to doing it.

His legacy should go down no different than P.Manning when it comes to Hall of fame consideration imo.

It’s sad that the last few years of his career may blemish his whole career.

I hope some day he raises the 12th man flag so we can give him a well deserved deaf roaring cheer!

*BTW Holmgren has a few things to say about Goodell in this very candid interview.

100. Southendzone says:

Agree with Duke. The league owners are all darn rich, and their ownership of a team isn’t their main source of income, but are profitable enterprises for them.

So how much do the owners care about squeezing every last penny out at the expense of a good product? These 4 day drafts, games on every night of the week, teams in London (what a crap travel week).

Just make it a good game and the $ will follow. You don’t need a bunch of gimmicks.

101. chuck_easton says:

I agree with Duke about being upset with the Ownership messing with the NFL product to a point of potential oversaturation.

I simply disagree with being angry at Goodell and blaming him.

Goodell is not an independent commissioner who is employed by both the NFL and the NFLPA.

He is the commissioner of the NFL (the confederation of 32 different teams in multiple states, each of which is owned and operated by a separate entity) and works at the behest of the NFL (the owners).

If Goodell were doing anything that the owners did not want him to do/say/propose they would vote to remove him from office.

If Goodell were to go against the desires of at least a majority of the owners and refuse to promote their position they would remove him from office.

The only real autonomy that Goodell has in the running of the daily business venture that is the NFL.

Look at the NFL as a big and very profitable company. Goodell is the CEO but he does not have final say. The CEO must answer to the Board of Directors (the owners).

By all means Duke, be upset with what potential harm may result from some of these proposals. But don’t for one minute think that these proposals aren’t coming from Kraft, Rooney, Jones, Mara, and a few other very powerful owners.

At the end of the day the owners are going to do whatever they think will make them more money. They don’t really care about the fans opinion. They don’t care about the players opinion. As long as the CBA says they can do things they will.

chuck – I agree is theory. However, he too has a responsibility to what in the League’s best interest and that doesn’t mean always saying “yes” to the desires of ownership. And in the interest of making more money, a far ranging, sustainable path forward is in ownership’s financial best interest, and that requires saying “no” at times.

But on a more broad scale, as the face of the League, or CEO as you referred to him, I absolutely hold him responsible.

103. jawpeace says:

WHAT no new post by TNT???
    If it was not for the new post by us fans it would be DEAD….

I like the idea of moving the draft. Move it to cities that never get to host a Super Bowl. Another benefit I will really enjoy is not hearing those annoying NY fans every single time.

As far as extending the season to 18 games. While I absolutely love football. I am against this. One for the players health. This is one of the most punishing sports in the world, 16 weeks, then playoffs, is more than enough. The other factor that makes football so good is that every game-every week means something and has value. Baseball/Basketball your team goes on a five game win or lose streak and its like big deal. Football that could be the season. That is why I am also hesitant to extend the playoffs more. Though it would suck to be like Arizona and win ten games and miss the playoffs. But hey that happened to the Hawks a long time ago. They were one of the hottest teams and just missed the playoffs. If we could have made it that year their was a good chance of going all the way.

104. Would it be terrible to expand the season and increase the size of the roster? Look how much talent we are forced to jettison each year.

105. doubledink says:

Chuck,
    CEOs are hired for their vision and leadership. They will direct a board and lead an organization on the mission that they envision. Goodell bears much responsibility for this stuff. The owners hired him so they don’t have to focus on this stuff. I would wager that behind the scenes it is the owners who are following and endorsing ideas more that creating them.

106. Hey, whatever will keep me from having to watch frickin soccer…..it’s like a quote I saw recently due to the world cup:”I don’t watch soccer. If I wanted to watch people struggle to score for 3 hours I’d take my friends to the bar.”

Just thinking outside the box here.

It looks like the NFL is heading in the direction of adding two more games.

Would if they were able to pull it off & keep players from having to play two extra games?

Without being specific they could extend the season for two more games, however all teams could only play their players maximum 16 games, perhaps excluding QBs.

Each team would have the option when to sit their players for the two games.

*That means each player would have three breaks during the season including the bye.

Win.

*The owners would get the extra two games to be negotiated with the players union how to split the extra revenue if split at all.

Win.

*The FOs would have more options to sit injured players without losing them to IR.
    And they also have the option to sit the players when they want so long as they sit all their players two games by the end of the season.

Win.

*The fans get two extra games to watch.

Win.

The hows & whys can be tweaked & worked out.

What do you think?

108. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

What it comes down to is total number of games.

Back in the days of the Dinosaurs when I was a youth the NFL had a 14 game regular season and 6 pre-season games. Total of 20 games (non-playoffs).

The league then went to the current format of 16 regular season games and 4 pre-season games in 1978. 20 games total (non-playoffs)

If the league were to go to 18 regular season games it would be at the expense of 2 pre-season games. So teams (non-playoffs) would still play 20 games.

109. Dukeshire–I agree with you on Goodell wholeheartedly.

Georgia–Well, you get an E for effort. At least youre thinking outside the box. But I have to say, I absolutely HATE the idea.

16 games is plenty, the preseason is necessary for evaluating rookies etc, and were getting close to over-saturation. And the competitive disadvantage for a team out of the country (London, etc) playing away games in the states, or an away team playing out of the country would render the games meaningless and a competitive sham.

Its a joke. The NFL makes 9 billion a year. Enough is enough, endless expansion and saturation is not the answer, its simply greed run amok.

110. Southendzone says:

If they moved to 2 extra games, I don’t think I’d be in favor of the players can only play 16 games method proposed above.

I’d prefer an expanded roster, reduction of pre-season games from 4 to 3 or 2 and the most important change is each team gets 2 BYE weeks instead of 1.

They could use those extra BYE weeks to cut down the instances of short turnaround from MNF to Sunday games, or for teams scheduled for Thursday night football. The expanded rosters get the players an added share of revenue.

I’m not saying I like the idea of the NFL expanding to 18 regular season games but the only thing I see right now that could slow them down is the former players class action lawsuit.

How does the league further profit from expanding to 18 games by eliminating two pre season games?

They make the same in revenue either way don’t they?

If they can find a way to add two more games (to the 20 total games) that they play now (without adding more games to the players) I think they will do it.

Btw, When I think of Goodell I think of Stern.

When I think of Stern I think of Clay (Bend over) & let me take your team.

Which makes me think of, I can’t Behr to say his name.

Which makes me angry!

Which makes me transfer my anger to STTBM in the form of a post about Tater the traitor.

There, now I feel better.

113. Southendzone says:

I think they profit by TV money with 2 more reg season and 2 fewer pre-season. You don’t see much national broadcasting of NFL preseason games like you do with regular season.

You’re right it’s essentially the same amount of stadium revenue assuming sell-outs for both, though I’d argue for some teams sell outs are more likely for reg season.

114. Where have you guys been the past 30 years as they have increased franchise values by 10-20 fold by continually adding new product and fleecing taxpayers? Rozelle, Tagliabue and Goodell – it’s all been the same. Each commissioner works to maximize long-term franchise values. Each subsequent commissioner has a harder time finding the low hanging fruit.

They’ll keep going until they reach the tipping point (or the US Credit Bubble bursts), which isn’t anytime soon.

115. Pabs–You have a point.

Georgia–LOL! I feel your pain, even though I couldnt care less about basketball. It does suck that they conspired to wait till we got a star like Durant and then stole the team…And I dont like the public subsidizing businesses and billionaires either.

You crack me up with the Tate comments, they are pretty out there. The guys not perfect, but he was worth more than Seattle offered him and he really did want to be here. I wish him well, and intend to watch him tear it up as a Lion. I think they will be pretty good this year, and if they are smart enough to draft some DB’s high next year, the future looks pretty good for them.

He’s not a traitor. Neither is Walter Thurmond, or Clinton McDonald, or anyone else who left for LOTS more money and a chance to start and have more impact.

116. montanamike2 says:

Love this line: If I wanted to watch people struggle to score for 3 hours I’d take my friends to the bar.”
    So true, i grew up watching the Vancouver Whitecaps and sometimes it came down to one on one kicks to decide the game, i also don’t like that many ties.
    I have to agree that over saturation leads to a watered down product and injury concerns. I like things how they are and am completely against adding more games, i’m OK with moving the draft.

117. It’s unfair to criticize a guy for leaving to get paid on his first post-rookie contract, especially when the original team offered a far lower contract.

The part on my last post about Goodell I was just kidding.

This post I am not.

Chuck is 100% right about Goodell.

It doesn’t matter if the owners make most of their money elsewhere.

It doesn’t matter how much money they have.
    Most of them didn’t get rich by throwing money away.

It’s not in their mind set to do that.
    And it certainly is not in the Jewish owners culture to do that.

That’s why they are great business men. That’s why they run the show.
    Goodell is nothing much more but the messenger here.

Stern now was a little bit more than that.

Pabs,
    I was joking about Tate being a traitor.

He isn’t my favorite player & he sometimes opens his mouth at the wrong time but boy does he have unique talent & he deserves what he is getting paid.

I hope he will be ready for those 100mph fastballs on screens that Stafford throws that helped the Lions have one of the highest drop rates in the NFL.

120. And I was just kidding about taking my friends to the bar. If I really wanted to watch someone struggle to score I’d take myself to the bar….

121. montanamike2 says:

It was still a funny line.

123. No need to clarify DFloydd – we knew what you meant.

124. Some cool Russell Wilson stats and information from Pro Football Focus

Blocis, thanks for the link.

According to PFF it looks like Wilson is 95% of the way there to being the top QB In the NFL.

126. Georgia–We’re so damned lucky to have RW. Whats scary is how close we came to waiting too long to draft him!

Karma for all the times we got hosed finally payed us back, but still owes us a few. This one makes up for the TD that was called back by John L Williams vs the Raiders that cost us the playoffs. Next up, we need something to happen to make up for Testaverde’s pathetic TD that wasnt that also cost us the playoffs…

NOthing will ever make up for the crooked SB 40 though…Nothing.

127. chkn_liddle says:

Georgia…No, just no, on mentioning the religion/culture of the owners. And everyone, the verb is “to dominate”, the adjective is “dominant”. Maybe it is the auto-correct’s fault.

128. Read the article on Holmgren in MMBQ. Freaking sob story. Well, Im not shedding ANY crocodile tears for HOlmgren, the man with the biggest Ego in the State of Washington.

The guy won a SB and went to two others, he should be in the HOF. However, he didnt get their on his own, he got their on the backs of his assistants, many of whom he treated unfairly. The glory does not all belong to him.

While he sounded as if he’d been humbled and had learned a thing or two from his failure as a GM and his inability to co-exist with Ruskell (which I blame more on Ruskell) in his comments after he left Seattle, his comments since then–before and after his stint with the Browns show his ego is as huge as ever, and he hasnt learned a damn thing.

Not only is he still an egomaniac, but he also stopped innovating long ago; his brain got old, and is retired for a reason, even if the rest of him isnt ready to be done, his mind IS.

129. IF a guy who is probably worth over a hundred million dollars cant find anything to do except sort bins at a foodbank–a place he has enough money to fund in ten cities if he so chose–and play computer solitaire, and hang out with his grandkids occasionally, then he’s a loser.

Think of all the cool things he could do and cool places he could go. Think of all the good he could do with all that money, and all his connections…

Instead, he mopes around insisting he wasnt fired from Cleveland, pitying himself.

Sad. Disgusting. Infuriating.

130. Rant off. Cant wait to see our new-look O-line and what RW can accomplish behind it!

131. montanamike2 says:

I can’t wait for pre season!

STTBM

Holmgren & his family do a lot of charity & volunteer work.

You can’t fault him for that. He also is physically limited right now after two hip surgeries.

Although Holmgren probably has the money he doesn’t strike me as one who lives like he needs to flaunt it with his lifestyle.

133. Well. I’m gonna go rawk out with my hawk out so y’all have a decent weekend. Music practice tonight, warrior dash tomorrow and a 30 mile bike ride Sunday. Not bad for a dummy in his 40s, I say….

134. Question:
    How can you be NFL coach and General Manager without having a healthy ego?

I really enjoy Coach Holmgren and try to catch him as often as I can on the radio. I’d never heard that he treated his assistants unfairly. Can you document that?

135. montanamike2 says:

Must be nice to be a local football star, i know that i’d be getting a tattoo of a tear below my eye by now,(meaning long term hard time incarceration). I wonder how Goodell will handle this.

136. Ray_Maines says:

I think this so cool.

Legion of Boom to be featured in Madden NFL 15.

Thanks Ray_Maines. I can’t believe it, they actually did something.

Cool!

Go LOB!

138. montanamike2 says:

That’s awesome!

139. Ray_Maines says:

Apparently EA sports couldn’t get the LOB on the front of the box or on the print advertising, but they changed the welcome screen of the software.

Richard Sherman is perhaps even more valuable to this franchise than Russell Wilson. I’ve said, and I believe, that RW’s parents are the most valuable part of the Seahawk family, but Mr. and Mrs. Sherman have to be a super close second. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas would be in the running as well. Tough choices. God bless all of them and every parent that puts full effort into raising their kids.

140. Ray_Maines says:

I’m starting to feel a little like GeorgaHawk here. But I’m up and I’m plowing around on the ‘net and finding stuff pertaining to the Seahawks. Sort of, anyway.

We have a strong connection with the Vikings and Chris Kluwe used to be a Seahawk, so maybe this will be of some interest. As much as anything else, I think it’s interesting that we are now using the phrase “marriage equality” rather than “gay marriage.” I’m all for that, BTW.

Also interesting is that an assistant coach gets a 3 game suspension for “insensitive remarks” and Aldon Smith gets pretty much nothing for all of his stupid DUI and bomb threat crap. Wow.

141. STTBM, Your rant was “Sad. Disgusting. Infuriating.”