Schedule breakdown: Washington Redskins

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 14, 2014 at 4:47 pm with 56 Comments »
July 14, 2014 5:15 pm
So much of what the Washington Redskins
So much of what the Washington Redskins will do rests on quarterback Robert Griffin III. / AP photo

Heading into camp, we’ll take a quick look through the opponents on the 2014 schedule.

Fourth up: The Washington Redskins

When: Sunday, Oct. 6, 5:30 p.m. at FedExField

Last season: 3-13; season ended with 20-6 loss to the New York Giants (the Redskins won their three games by a total of 20 points)

What went right: The work of running back Alfred Morris and wide receiver Pierre Garcon. Morris finished fourth in the league in rushing, just eight yards behind Kansas City’s Jamaal Charles. Morris continues to be one of the few bright lights in Washington. His rookie season, he ran for 1,613 yards. Not bad for a sixth-round pick out of Florida Atlantic. Garcon was eighth in the league in receiving yards with 1,346, a touch ahead of new teammate DeSean Jackson. Garcon led the league in targets with a staggering 184 and receptions with 113. Washington’s second-leading pass catcher? Tight end Jordan Reed. He caught just 45 passes.

What did not: How much time do you have? The former coach, Mike Shanahan, seemed to be stuck in perpetual drama with owner Dan Snyder — a bringer of drama himself — and quarterback Robert Griffin III. Griffin underachieved. Washington tied for 30th in points allowed per game. Griffin was sat down the final three games to avoid risk of further injury — at least that’s what Shanahan said. The Redskins lost eight in a row to close the season.

2014 Super Bowl odds: 50-1

Key offseason addition: Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher. Washington gave the former Cowboy a four-year, $27.5 million deal ($10.5 million guaranteed) to help a sagging defense. Hatcher is 32, but had his best season for Dallas last year, when he had a career-high 11 sacks. Lots of work remains on defense, though the signing of Hatcher and drafting of former Stanford defensive end Trent Murphy should help.

Key offseason loss: London Fletcher. After 16 seasons, Fletcher’s effectiveness was on the decline. But, he had spent the last seven seasons in Washington which entrenched him as one of key members of the franchise. The Redskins reached a three-year, $13 million deal with Perry Riley to ostensibly replace Fletcher.

What’s more: Contrast how the Seahawks and Redskins have gone about building the their teams the last three seasons.

Two years have passed since the Redskins joined the rest of the league in the first round of the NFL Draft. Griffin excelled during one, was hurt and struggled in the other and remained at odds with Shanahan throughout both.

Washington general manager Bruce Allen opted to deal for the second pick in 2012 to take Griffin. That cost him the Redskins’ No. 6 overall pick in 2012, second-round pick in 2012, and their first-round picks in 2013 and 2014 in a trade with the St. Louis Rams.

The Rams have turned those picks into six likely starters (and eight total players): defensive tackle Michael Brockers, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, linebacker Alec Ogletree, wide receiver Stedman Bailey, running back Zac Stacy and offensive tackle Greg Robinson. Together, those six will count approximately $3.5 million more toward the 2014 salary cap than Griffin alone.

The Seahawks play rookies in the preseason more than any other team in the NFL since 2010. The Redskins were 29th. The Seahawks led in average playing time per year for undrafted free agents. The Redskins were 25th.

No team has released more drafts picks in the last four years than Washington. The Redskins have jettisoned 10 picks in that time while its roster continues to age. The Redskins had the second-oldest roster in the NFL last season. The Seahawks were the youngest team to win a Super Bowl.

Last regular-season meeting: Nov. 27, 2011, the Seahawks lost, 23-17. The Redskins scored 16 points in the fourth quarter to win.

All I really care about with regards to the Redskins game (other than a win) is getting off that field without a major injury.

“No team has released more drafts picks in the last four years than Washington. The Redskins have jettisoned 10 picks in that time while its roster continues to age. The Redskins had the second-oldest roster in the NFL last season.”

Not how sustainable winning is achieved.

(Todd, small note; Dan Gilbert is Cavs owner. A bit of a jackass in his own right, but nevertheless…)

3. doubledink says:

Did you mean Dan Snyder?

4. Todd Dybas says:

Double, I sure did.

Thanks for pointing it out, Dukeshire.

— Todd

Look where Pete ranks compared to Jim.

BTW- did anyone see Russell Wilson today (on the NFL football network) in his youth camp at the University of Washington?

He was saying how excited he was to be working with Harvin & that he didn’t really care about how many yards he throws for. Winning was most important to him.

Hear that Tate? Wilson’s focus is on Super Bowls while your focus is on pro bowls.

6. Winning Super Bowls, even if I’m doing it from my basement couch, is fun. Glad we’ve finally gotten a taste of it for ourselves instead of asking other fans what it’s like (or seeing them react to it).

7. bsinnitt says:

I don’t hold any grudges against Tate. He made a decision that he thought was best for himself and his family’s future. These players are professionals. If you think any other player wouldn’t do the same thing under similar circumstances, including Wilson, you’re fooling yourself. That being said, our front office isn’t going to let Wilson hit free agency obviously.

8. montanamike2 says:

I don’t begrudge Tate either, i will miss his punt returns and some of his big catches, but if Richardson is Harvin lite, then he’ll be less needed. He did bring toughness and attitude that will be missed, but he was a me first guy and he did seem to have a different vibe going than the rest of the team, you could see it in his white house visit. With that said, i can see he wanted to be here and definitely resented being second fiddle to a guy who didn’t play and he did get us our very first ring. I don’t expect him to say anything bad about his new team and he’ll get opportunities playing next to Megatron that he didn’t get here. No doubt his pride was hurt and he did go to a “shitty city” after all. In time we’ll know if we made the right move or not, tough choices had to be made to keep the LOB intact and RW coming up so we’ll know by next year.

Exactly Montana.

I will miss his punt returns too.
    Other then that it’s close to addition by subtraction to me.

10. Southendzone says:

I knew Washington got screwed on the RGIII trade, but reading in print exactly what they gave up boggles my mind.

3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. Even Al Davis corpse woke up and said “Dayumm, that’s bad drafting!”

11. confucious says:

I’ll miss seeing Tate out there. He always made the play when it counted. He and Baldwin were always dependable in that regard. I wish him well and will root for him whenever he’s not playing the Seahawks.

12. joeradio says:

I am OK with losing Golden Tate, but can’t deny how much I’ll miss seeing him break tackles. For his size, few WRs are better than he is when it comes to that. Love the WR crew we have and understand that someone will step up, but when I watch his highlights I marvel at his ability to break so many tackles on any given play.

What I like about Harvin & Richard besides their terrific speed is that they are north south players.

One move & the’re gone.

15. yankinta says:

As I was saying during the final few games of last Season,, there’s no way we’d be able to keep both Tate and Baldwin. And that I’d like our FO to keep the cheaper of the two player. They did, I’m happy!

And we get back 4th round compensatory pick for Tate,, I’m ecstatic! :)

I hope Tate will have a Big Stat year because that adds into the calculation for compensatory pick…

I agree with you there Yankinta.

I also agree with Terry Blount here-

17. montanamike2 says:

This only helps state our case for UDFA’s to come here.

18. montanamike2 says:

I agree on everything, but i hope Britt is better than advertized.

19. In point of fact, regardless of size, Tate was THE BEST IN THE NFL at breaking tackles. He broke more tackles than any other WR, even though he was targeted 80+ times, while many receivers were targeted up to 160 times. He broke more tackles by far than guys who caught over 100 passes. That is amazing, especially for a guy under 6′ tall.

The thing is, Tate had a better year in 2012 than he did in 2013. For whatever reason, Seattle didnt use him like a number one last year, and there were games he barely registered. Sure, he always caught 2-3 passes, and he never was skunked (as Baldwin was on several occasions), but he never reached star status last year.

I will always regret that we didnt get to see what he could do playing opposite Harvin, with Baldwin in the slot. But he should have a lot more fun in Detroit, and fulfill his potential. And if Detroit can fix the secondary, they have the talent to be a dangerous team.

Believe it or not, I think Seattle will be better without Tate, now that we have Richardson and Norwood. Tate just didnt fit with Harvin, our WR corps was less than the sum of its parts. Finally, with the singular talents our rookies bring, I feel our WR corps will become something special, something greater than the sum of its parts.

20. montanamike2 says:

Totally agree Slave.

21. montanamike2 says:

Tate was amazing at breaking tackles.

22. yankinta says:

Rich Eisen on MMQB…. love it!! :)

” I think Seattle is your Super Bowl favorite this year. Or should be. I know we haven’t seen a repeat champion in more than a decade for good reason, but here’s why I think the Seahawks could do it:

a. The Seattle roster wasn’t ravaged by salary cap decisions or free agency, like last year’s defending Super Bowl champion Ravens were. To the contrary, the Seahawks paid some top players to keep them in the fold for years to come.

b. The Seattle coaching staff hasn’t been raided, like most Super Bowl staffs have been. In fact, coach Pete Carroll may be singularly equipped to keep the competitive fires burning. Carroll’s daily mantra of “always compete” sure sounds like the perfect antidote to resting on one’s Super Bowl laurels.

c. The perfect extension of Carroll’s philosophy is Russell Wilson. I know this firsthand. When he guest-appeared on the 2013 season Championship Sunday edition of NFL GameDay Morning, Wilson reported for work at 3:30 a.m. Pacific Time—two-and-a-half-hours before air and a half-hour before your humble host, who usually beats everyone else on the on-air staff to work. Wilson gets it. He knows there’s much on which to improve personally and offensively as a whole.

d. Then there’s the Seattle home-field advantage, which should once again afford the Seahawks the luxury of needing only to play .500 football on the road to have a chance at the division title and, perhaps, conference. That’s regardless of how the NFC West is easily the toughest division in football.

That’s why I truly expect to see Seattle in Arizona next February playing for the right to pick up more confetti off the ground.”

Bobby Wagner is on first take right now.

This will be interesting.

24. 12-4 probably won’t win the NFC West like Eisen thinks.

I love the Wag Swag on first take.

The way he talked about the D getting better put chills through me.

26. CDHawkFan says:

Slave, do you think Tate will break as many tackles in Detroit when he is expected to run his route and get to a spot on the field? To me, he was good when the play broke down and there was a bit of chaos caused by a poor OL and RW ability to extend the play.

In Detroit, IF he runs the correct route, I see a DB being able to tackle him soon after the pass is delivered as Stafford is that type of conventional QB (throws to spots, not known for extending a play).
    Tate was good in the open field (as shown on punt returns) in making guys miss, but I don’t think he will get as many opportunities for a 1 on 1 face to face juke in Detroit’s offense.

Again, he averaged 4 catches per game for 50 yards last year.

27. I don’t know if he will continue to lead the league in broken tackles, but he’s been doing it by a huge margin for years, so it isn’t a fluke. Many of those broken tackles came on traditional routes, not bubble screens.

Also, I expect Detroit to use totally different routes under Caldwell, and to adapt some to Tates strengths; ie, crossing patterns, screens, jump balls on the sidelines.

Tate was fun to watch for sure because of his cat-like quickness, & CDHawk makes some interesting points about Tate.

I think Tate is unique in his escape abilities even though at times he would run more East to West.
    He should do just fine individually with the Lions because the Lions are the best team to play for if your goals are more focused on individual stats.

I for one am happy Tate is gone. His production will be thoroughly replaceable and he was a total knucklehead. Enjoy Detroit.

30. FleaFlicker says:

Concur with Duke as far as replaceable production; I think that goes for Sydney as well. But for both Golden and Syd, they will always have a place in my heart for the guts they displayed last year @ Chicago. Tate just simply willing himself through three defenders to tie it up and Rice literally being knocked cold with the winning ball in his hand….that was a hell of a game.

Tate’s going to put up great stats as Megatron will pull double coverage and coach Caldwell will build that team to be an offensive, air-powered avalanche. All the better for us, as Yank pointed out…makes for a higher compensatory pick.

31. chuck_easton says:

Don’t burry Rice yet. He may have a rebound year. Not saying he will and not saying he won’t. But he’s still on the roster and competing for a spot until further notice.

32. Glossman says:

@pabuwal,

I agree. It’s going to take another 13-3 record to win it, and even then, it could end up coming down to a tie-breaker.

NFC West this year could be on of the toughest divisions of all time from top to bottom.

On the other hand, it’s not inconceivable that all 4 teams could wind up splitting with each other, and then, by throwing in a loss or two for each team outside the division, then 12-4 would get it done.

Either way, 2014 will be very interesting in the NFC West.

33. doubledink says:

I agree Chuck. Folks seem to be overlooking Syd. I think he will light things up this year.

There has been one WR that has lead the NFL in broken tackles 3 times since 2009 & his name isn’t Tate.

35. Ewalters7354 says:

Golden Tate is garbage.Point,blank,period.Dude breaks a lot of tackles,but that’s pretty much it.He’s reckless and disappears in big games.

Where was he in the playoffs? Not to mention his inability to ever down a punt.I mean really,dude would catch punts at the 2yard line all because he didn’t have the discipline to let the ball go out of bounds.

He can take that overpaid production to Detroit.

36. LarryLee says:

If players don’t want to be in Seattle, let them leave. Pete and John will replace them with young talent. If Tate was not bright enough to recognize how good he had it here, so be it. This is all about winning, and improvement, not being famous and rich.
    Seattle has it all; owner, front office, coaching, players, and fans. “The futures so bright, I gotta wear sunglasses”

37. HawkFromDay1 says:

I liked Tate, even though he made me cringe sometimes with some of his juvenile struts, bye-bye waves and late night pastry burglaries.

The punt return problem is real, however.

But I was calmed by Boling’s great article about (I’m paraphrasing now)how losing your punt returner is kind of a “rich people problem.” Like denting your Ferrari, replacing the battery in your Rolex or cleaning lingerie out of your infinity pool.

38. jawpeace says:

Well I am glad the way things have worked out this off season. Going into it with both Tate and Baldwin both on the market to some degree. I was really hoping that they would keep Baldwin. He is clutch, very precise route runner, Wilson’s security blanket on third down, and he has more traits that I admire.
    Tate on the other hand I wanted him back if they could sign him for around 4-5 million a year. And that would have been a true home town discount. But I don’t blame Tate for going for the bigger dollars. His bank account will be bigger now in Detroit, but he will miss out on being part of a Dynasty.

39. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, Thanks for the Links!!!! LOVE IT. it made my day. :)

This is a great day indeed!

STTBM is not biting on the Tater bait.

Yankinta is playing nice.

Duke is back.

Blount writes a good article.

First take has good things to say about the Seahawks, although they baited Wagner big time.

And our D is getting better.

What happened? Is this a dream?

I’m so happy the Grim Reaper would have a hard time messing with this day.

41. yankinta says:

lol, I’m always nice. :)

“Bring it on Knighton! Let’s see if your fat butt can catch Harvin.”

43. Eisen didn’t say 12-4 would win it – he said give them a chance to win it….

44. jawpeace says:

Wags is pretty cool! Now I am leaning towards him for my next jersey instead of Russel Wilson. One big factor in favor of Wagner is we share the same last name. My only concern/thought was that when he becomes a free agent there is a good chance we won’t be able to resign him and I can get his jersey for cheap then. Where as RW jersey will be good for many many years.

45. SandpointHawk says:

Duke and several others never left, you just had to know where to find them…

I get it. Kind of like the Wizard of Oz.

I’ve definitely taken a step back, but still check in every day.

48. Glad to hear your day is going great Georgia!

49. AzulVerde says:

I will miss Tate, however that being said… he did have a “me” first attitude that came through. I don’t think he completely fit the mold of the Seahawks locker room. I know he did what he thought best for him and his family and I wish him well.

Just as contrast I look at Michael Bennett. He flatly said during the Season, He would like to resign with Hawks, but wouldn’t take a hometown discount. I quote “This isn’t costco or Walmart”… but when all was said and done he DID!! give a hometown discount and stuck around. He basically said there is more to football then just $$$. He loves Seattle Fans and likes his teammates, and said thats worth more then getting a few extra bucks someplace else.

I think Tate is slightly immature still and doesn’t realize there is more to life then $$. Irregardless I wish him the best.

My2CentsWorth

50. Ray_Maines says:

From what I read, Paul Allen and the Seahawks must really be a good place to work. I’d love to have a nice quiet beer with .GT (or Michel Bennett or Sidney Rice…) five or ten years from now and ask him about the differences between the franchises and what he might do differently if he could do it all again. In other words, how valuable is money?

51. Tate REALLY wanted to stay here. He wanted it badly. Thats why he’s still so butthurt. He also wanted to be used as often as his talents justify, which wasnt happening here. He also wanted to be paid close to the fair market price for his services, but Seattle declined to do so.

Comparing him to Bennett is apples to oranges; had Seattle made an offer to him as close to Detroits offer as their offer to Bennett was to Chicagos, then Tate would have signed back here in a hot minute. Tate would have had to take 10 times the cut in pay as Bennett to stay, so its not even a logical comparison.

While Tate is immature, I doubt RW would have been–and remained–such close friends with Tate if he truly was a me-first guy. Those who insist he is that way, and those who bitch about his one flagrant wave at the Rams secondary and a couple celebrations just come across as sour grapes and hypocrites, because some of them are the same folks that didnt mind Bennetts celebrating, or Sherms showboating, or Rice’s idiotic ball-spinning after a first down which cost us all his yardage, or any number of other Seahawks players–especially on defense–who are loud, obnoxious and celebratory–not to mention taunting–when they play well.

Why is it celebrated to taunt on D, but not on offense?!

52. CDHawkFan says:

It wasn’t Tate’s celebration our taunting that really bothered me, it was his body language saying he was pissed because someone missed him with a pass or didn’t see him.

And yes, it bothers me when Sherman points a finger at someone else while yelling when he gets beat, like someone else missed an assignment, not him.

Difference is Sherman does enough other stuff to show he is a team first guy and his intensity is to blame for his hot head.