Weekend Links: Irvin says hip feels better, big injury questions remain

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 13, 2014 at 1:52 pm with 95 Comments »
July 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Bruce Irvin’s offseason hip surgery was among a trio of surprise injury fixes for the Seahawks.

Strong safety Kam Chancellor also had hip surgery, and left tackle Russell Okung had foot surgery. That forced each out of the offseason workout sessions. Chancellor and Okung were able to lift weights, but did not participate in any on-field work.

Irvin says his recuperation is going well, despite it not being enjoyable.

Head coach Pete Carroll said Chancellor and Okung have a chance to be ready July 25 for the start of training camp. It will be quite a bit longer before Irvin comes back.

Links:

> Video: Russell Wilson on big paydays for other QBs: “It has nothing to do with me.”

> NFL.com is reporting San Francisco guard Alex Boone won’t report to camp without a new deal.

> Chicago Bears fourth-round pick Brock Vereen writes about the rookie symposium for MMQB.

> Pro Football Focus takes a look at Cam Newton, whom the Seahawks will see again in Week 8 this season.

> The New York Daily News is reporting that the DEA is “quietly investigating prescription drug abuse” in NFL lockerrooms.

> PFT puts the Rams 20th in their NFL preseason power rankings.

> Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. told ESPN it’s “Super Bowl or bust” for Denver.

> One programming note: I am on vacation this coming week. Others will be running the blog.

Weekend links at almost 5pm on Sunday Eastern time?

Lol, good thing we’ve learned not to wait for links around here.

Hard to put down that twitter for a minute or two?

May as well post one link everyday to fieldgulls links.

2. Singularitarian says:

Speaking of fieldgulls, they re posted an awesome article about what Percy brings to the offense from last year http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2014/7/13/5895457/percy-harvin-seahawks-scheme-what-do-you-do Also If anybody does fantasy football, a rad site called footballguys.com has a great article on Percy. It’s a pay site but we’ll worth the money if you want to read about fantasy football

3. SandpointHawk says:

Turn the auto play off before you post a clip for God’s sake! I going to return here 20 times until you post again and this Russell clip is already stale…

4. chkn_liddle says:

Geez…trying to make it easier for TD to split?

Others will be running the blog?

Nothing new here. Others have been running this blog for awhile now & it hasn’t been anyone from TNT.

I’m sorry but Todd’s gig here has slowly turned into a joke.

It’s not like he has a crappy team to cover either.

I tried to stay positive about it, (Especially in the beginning when Todd was doing double duty)

But to put it bluntly this sucks & it has been sucking for awhile now.

Duke was on to something that I didn’t fully get until now.

I hope they find someone that has passion for football & at least some passion for doing their job or this blog (I’m afraid) is going to slowly die.

6. sluggo42 says:

You should do it Georgia, and I’m being serious!

7. Southendzone says:

I think Todd has his own view of what running the blog should be. If part of that view is de-emphasizing being the first person to link a bunch of other content during the offseason, I completely respect that.

To me the job means giving us access to actual team news and in-depth articles about players. Todd does that and does it well.

I like Field Gulls a lot too, it’s different though. I could be wrong but I don’t know that any of the Field Gulls staff has press access to the team.

None of the links above are truly Seahawk news anyways, so if those links get posted here at 4:30 am, or 9:30 pm, it doesn’t make a ton of difference.

Thanks Sluggo but no. I’m too old, half blind & slow.

Someone young & Seahawks crazy like Kelly over at fieldgulls would really recharge this blog imo.

Besides I’m not into the twitter crap much. A little is OK but to make it the main course on a blog is lazy & many times it is just unreliable info imo.

I think a lot of us can chip in & help make this blog great. Especially if TNT can find the right person for the job.

9. Ewalters7354 says:

Fieldgulls biggest problem is those drunk articles the other guys put up.Danny Kelly would make a great replacement though!
    I also like Jerry Brewer.

10. Now wait a minute, doesn’t Todd’s news break the streak of TNT Hawks writers taking jobs at ESPN?

11. SandpointHawk says:

Todd: Thanks for fixing the video…

12. jawpeace says:

So Todd is going to use up his vacation days before leaving- makes sense. At least other people running it won’t be affected by STA (short term attitude). My own opinion Todd has not done as good as his predecessor. But with the Hawks being SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS they are getting more media attention than ever before and I can go else where to get news.

13. UltimateHawk says:

Todd has been equal to his predecessor in my book. I’ve had no issues (other then he ignoring emails I sent him).

Less than 30 days before first pre season game.

Who will make the cut at WR?

Interesting view here on how it might play out-

*note-Richardson was drafted in the second round however he was the first player picked by the Seahawks.

Thanks Singulartarian for the Hasan on Harvin article.

That really got me excited for what our offense can do this season with Harvin in there.

16. mquinn73 says:

Jeez, guys. Get a grip.

There’s more to live than the Seahawks. This is a free site. TNT have kept this going through thick and thin – and yet some on here seem to think that it’s not good enough if there isn’t a 1,000 word post on the Seahawks, every day. Unreal.

And this is coming from someone who has been a long-time reader (occasional poster) on this forum since way back to Sando’s early days, before seahawks.net first decided to charge for their content.

Overall, this forum has been a good source of team info – and by and large, the contributors/posters have been worth reading. It’s still good – although the comments can sometimes get hijacked by one or two who seem to think that their opinion matters more than others.

Todd’s doing a good job. As did the others before him. If you don’t like it, then go elsewhere.

17. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, I saw that article as well but I’m not sure what we would benefit by putting Rice on IR. I don’t see it at all. To me, either he beat someone for the last WR Roster Spot, or he gets traded or he gets cut.

We’ll see if my 95% stays true or not. :)

IMO, it’s between Rice and Lockette for the 6th WR spot.

I’m also hoping we don’t keep the 3rd TE and don’t keep 3rd string QB. Maybe that’ll allow us to keep 7 WR but I think carrying 7 WR’s is unlikely.

18. HawkfaninMT says:

I could see Rice go on PUP, but no benefit of IR… Suppose we will find out if he is PUP-ing it the first day of camp!

19. yankinta says:

HawkfaninMT,, what would be the benefit of putting him on PUP? I know that’s what most knowledgeable fans and Media are saying but I don’t see it. Why waste that money to sign him in the first place, if he’s not ready to compete?

What happens when he returns? Are we keeping 7 WRs on roster? Are we cutting someone at that point? It’s like we hoping one of the WR gets injured while he’s on roster…. I don’t think this is how JS/PC FO operates.

Eric Williams came in when this blog was all but dead after the Frank Hughes debacle. He made this blog his own and took complete ownership of it, with not just links and re-posts, but original content. Something that, after nearly 10 months, Todd has failed to do, for the most part. I wish him the best in his new endeavor, but his brief time here was largely forgettable.

Yankinta,

I don’t think the idea of putting Rice on PUP is so bad.

He’s not making a lot of money now compared to before & to have him available,(after six games) in case 1-injury to other WRs. 2- if one or more of the young WRs don’t perform well. It could be a good insurance policy for the team to put him on PUP.

Plus he will have more time to heal before we get into the meat of our schedule.

22. Ewalters7354 says:

Go elsewhere? There is always someone who wants to come.to the rescue lol

If Todd isn’t good,he isn’t good.Sorry but that’s my mindset.You really should just go back to being a long time reader because we speak our minds on this blog bud.

23. Ray_Maines says:

I think Sidney Rice could start the year on the PUP list and in week six replace whoever was the weakest link the the WR chain.

I think Baldwin, Harvin, Kearse, Richardson, Norwood, and Chris Matthews make the 53 man roster and Matthews gets bumped six weeks later.

Three weeks and three days until the Seahawks are in Denver for the first pre-season game and I just can’t wait. PC tends to use lots of rookies in the pre-season, so I don’t expect much of a game, but it’s real football.

24. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, I would agree with that except Rice got hurt in October last year. This would mean he’s had 10 months of recovery before the final roster is set. His dead money is only $150K, if he gets cut. His Cap number is very friendly for a trade ($1.2 Mil). If he’s not ready by now, I doubt our FO keeps him on PUP.

I like Rice a lot and like Lockette for special team as well. Hope we can keep 7 WR. That’s why I hope we don’t keep 3TE and 3QB on roster, although I think we will keep 3TE.

Let’s say you’re right and I’m wrong, what do you see happening we Rice returns and no one got hurt? are we cutting Lockette or another WR?

Yankinta, I don’t really have a strong opinion either way with Rice but if they do put him on PUP & have to make a decision who to keep when he gets off a lot will depend on how well the others have been playing & how healthy Rice is.

Lockette I think is around the same age as Rice.

One thing for sure is there will be some tough decisions to make.

26. HawkfaninMT says:

I see a few scenarios when Rice is healthy and ready come off the PUP:

1) WRs are playing great, he gets IRd and we move on
    2) he is fully healthy, our WRs are playing great, he gets traded
    3) 1 or more WRs have gotten injured and Rice is in there back pocket
    4) 1 or more of the WRs have not lived up to expectations, and is cut/waived when Rice comes back

I’m sure there’s more… But for a few Hundred grand when we are not against the wall is worth that flexibility imo

27. You nailed it HinMT

28. I don’t think Todd’s heart was ever in it. I vote for Dave or Danny.

29. yankinta says:

HawkfaninMT,, I guess I disagree, with you and GeorgiaHawk. I just don’t think that is how our FO operates. They’re all about competition, Rice will have to compete for the 6th WR Roster Spot in training camp. I don’t think he will be put on PUP at all. I think he’ll either make the roster or get cut.

30. chuck_easton says:

OK,

Again time for the annual PUP rules primer.

1. Any player that is not able to pass the team physical at the start of camp can begin camp on the PUP list. They count towards the 90 man roster, but are not allowed to be on the practice field with the team.

2. At any point during training camp a player that is on the PUP list can be added to the active practice roster.

3. Once a player is activated during camp, even for 1 day, they cannot be placed back on PUP.

4. At the start of the regular season and at final cuts the team has the option of placing any player that has been on PUP for the ENTIRE camp and has not been able to practice even one day onto the regular season PUP list.

5. Only players that have spent the ENTIRE training camp on PUP are eligible for regular season PUP.

So, for the team to PUP Sydney Rice he would have to sit out the entire training camp. He is on schedule to begin practice within the first week of camp opening.

It is more likely that Irvin will miss the entire training camp and will be eligible to start the season on PUP if necessary.

To reiterate. You CAN’T put any player on the regular season PUP that has been active for even 1 practice during camp. If they practice and get hurt, it’s IR, carry the injured player into the season on the active roster, or cut.

31. Todd, I appreciate your work on this blog. I liked Sando and Eric too, although each of you brought a different approach to your reporting. I can’t believe these attacks by those who complain about free content during a slow NFL news period. Wait, I can believe it…there are those on this blog who resent anyone else moderating it other than themselves. (And I am not referring to who most here would consider the major offender.)

32. MoSeahawk12 says:

I agree PHXHawk. I think Todd did a nice job and there was plenty of fresh content. Some must forget the threads started at 4am on certain days. We are all here for free and choose to do so. Todd provided content and a discussion forum for us to gather. Thank you for your efforts Todd. Good luck on the new gig.

33. Southendzone says:

Yank,

It’s all about how the team views Rice, his potential, his likelihood to get back to 100%, and what he can bring to the team.

If they think he can get healthy and play at his old level, they can IR him if they believe that extra time will get him where he needs to be.

He wasn’t fighting Lockette for playing time last year before he was injured.

We just won’t know until we have more data on his health as we approach training camp. He’s young & talented enough to heal and make the roster.

Yankinta,

Would if Jackson outplays Wilson in the pre season (like he did last year) will the FO make Jackson the starter?

It’s not all about the competition. If that were the case Carpenter would have been a back up or cut last year.

As a rule it is, however we have already witnessed several exceptions to Carroll’s rule.

35. I think Todd did a good job. He has said its the community of commenters that makes this blog what it is, and I agree. I dont come here for the guy who runs the blog–though I really enjoyed Sando and Williams, and detested Hughes (though I did stand up for him when the criticism was too harsh).

Todd saw his role differently than others, but did fine. There is enough stuff out there, and two other fine writers on this paper, for original content.

The only problem I had with him was a few times when he got snotty on the live chat or on posts, then was proven wrong and never acknowledged it. That kind of hubris pisses me off. But he did a good job posting links and giving us the info few other sites could. And dont forget, he’s a professional writer and journalist, and wrote like it. The guys at Field Gulls and other sites are not, and the quality of their stuff suffers mightily.

As for Danny Kelly running this blog, dont make me laugh! No way in hell, he’s fine where he is at FieldGulls. He’s just about the only writer there approaching professional. The rest are just opinionated geeks.

36. The Trib probably refused to pay him his vacation upfront, so he had to take it off. Plus, moving to DC isnt like moving from Puyallup to Tacoma–it takes a lot of planning and work.

The Post is also a well-respected paper and far more financially stable than the Trib.

This sounds like a big step up, and Im happy for you Todd. Go kick butt.

Has Todd announced on this blog yet that he was leaving?

Seems like if this blog was that important to him something would have been communicated here (from him) about him leaving.

Maybe he did post something & I missed it.

STTBM

You say Todd did a good job of posting links?

If you consider regularly being a day late & a dollar short then I agree with you.

PHXHawk

You define others criticism of Todd’s performance as attacks that you can’t believe.

How do you define your criticism of others?

Whether Todd’s performance was mostly on him or how much TNT had anything to do with it we don’t know.
    What we do know is Todd is not passionate with football like he is with other sports & that’s fine for his next gig.

This one clearly became sterile.

40. Georgia–Compare this blog to the Times one, or the shell that is SeahawksAddicts, or FieldGulls and its clearly better.

Sure, FieldGulls has lots of links with their Coffee and Cigarettes, but many of the links suck, and many are not really Seahawk related. And they still have the same old problem–many of their articles are Grammar Disasters full of logical fallacies and just plain bad writing.

Would I like more links, and earlier? Sure, but in that regard too much is never enough. Im satisfied for the most part, and while you are entitled to your opinion, I disagree with it and think youre being too harsh.

Todd hasnt announced anything on here, but it was on his twitter feed on the right of the page awhile back. He has the right to keep mum if he chooses, and I dont see anything wrong with it.

41. chuck_easton says:

I take this one logical step further.

If TNT could afford to compete and pay their writers/blog masters better we wouldn’t be continually losing them to the big boys.

Not blaming TNT. You can’t pay what you don’t have and can’t afford.

Also can’t blame Todd for taking a better paying gig that takes him closer to his east coast roots.

42. Southendzone says:

Well said Chuck. Not being a journalist insider or knowing the way the industry works, I have to take what I can from observations of the TNT blog.

What these observations tell me is that having this job is sort of a shitty gig. Everyone who has had it moves on pretty quick. Like when I worked at a grocery store at age 16, I had to clean the stupid meat saw, wash the stupid deli pans etc… I think running the TNT blog for a writer is like scraping day old mac & cheese off of a stainless steel half-pan for a grocery store worker.

Gotta disagree with STT on one thing, I always enjoyed the live chats, especially when TD would drop the occasional sarcastic quip.

43. Georgia, I feel that there is a difference between the disagreements we bloggers may have with one another (a good thing, if kept civil), and trashing a free forum provided for us by TNT. I was very disappointed when it looked like we would have to pay to see the blog, and am grateful that it continued to be free.
    And Todd is a newsman…we shouldn’t expect “passion” from him. There’s plenty of that here as it is.

STTBM

I don’t go to the times or Seahawks addicts so I will take your word on that one.

Now fieldgulls is a different story.

They have some dedicated writers over there & most of them know their stuff.
    It isn’t just about the links.

They are also not afraid to post material from the rest of the NFC west & other NFL sites that TNT appears to snub their noses at because perhaps they didn’t come from a so-called professional writer.

Just recently fieldgulls posted an article from a Vikings blog that was re-posted here by Sing that was a detailed article about Harvin & how he was used as a rb/wr with the Vikings.

I have never seen anything close to the detail or effort from Todd in his articles about the Seahawks.
    And I think Todd is generally a good writer.

I used to have the same impression about Fieldgulls back in the morgan days but they have gotten a lot better since then.

And a hell of a lot better then the way TNT is run now.

I just can’t bring myself to post there because I hate their big brother blog rules.

45. chuck_easton says:

When Fieldgulls gets press credentials and can start attending sessions that are open to the media only, I will then consider them a creditable source.

Until then, it is just a blog written by fans with a lot of time on their hands.

And I don’t want to go to a sight that is a homer site. I like the fact that this blog has yet to be run by any professional writer that admits an allegiance to the Seahawks.

If I want all rah rah and we’re great, I’ll read the yanker/Georgia blog.

46. montanamike2 says:

I used to frequent Seahawks Addicts but now they are a shell of what they were, still i met my local gang through them. I still remember how much Frank Hughes sucked, so i think that set the bar pretty low. Fieldgulls isn’t bad and they have GIFs, but the community here is better, both informed and mannered. Fieldgulls also has a few trolls that are better off over there. Let Todd continue to pursue his career and if that means covering RGknee so be it.

47. FleaFlicker says:

Just putting things into context, Sando and Williams were football specialists. Todd is a sports generalist.

There’s nothing wrong with either approach, but ultimately I think Todd is more suited to exactly the kind of gig he just landed: free reign over many different sports. Mike and Eric had spent a number of years with the TNT, focused on football, and consequently had much deeper relationships within the Seahawks organization and more specialized content. Just look at Todd’s twitter feed; he has a real passion for baseball, hockey, and hoops and it’s no surprise that he didn’t have the singular focus of a Sando or a Williams.

My only beef with some of the criticism directed at Mr. Dybas is the somewhat acerbic and entitled tone, especially when it comes from same people that I remember whining and cursing the idea of having to pay for this content. Todd came in cold in the middle of the season (after Eric jumped on the ESPN opportunity) and did an admirable job. He could have totally mailed it in, but he didn’t, and I for one appreciate his professionalism in that respect.

I would agree with Southendzone (it’s a crummy gig) up to a point. For a writer/newsman of Todd’s bent, this blog is probably a detour on their career path. But for a Sando/Williams type, this blog is actually a great place to be as they build up their NFL credentials. Here’s hoping the TNT management can find a new blog curator who shares that singular passion for all things NFL and Seahawks. When this blog is really humming, it’s a great place to stop a couple times a day for 10 minutes of news, links, and collective opinions.

48. Georgia–Well, you could come here for the conversations (ie, arguments lol!) and FieldGulls for content. Between the two, I think they offer enough to give you your fix.

Im not as big a fan of FieldGulls as you, but I do check them out from time to time. I wont comment there either, due to the censorship.

The Trib job seems like a thankless position, and the newspaper industry is hurting; the Trib cant be in the best financial shape. They really cant compete with the Washington Post–even the Times couldnt–financially or prestige-wise. I met the Music Critic for the Post last summer at a James McMurtry concert in MT (at least he said he was!), and he enjoyed working for them. Not to bash the Trib–Im grateful they listened to reason and didnt charge for this blog–but small market, shaky finances, low pay vs one of the biggest markets in the US, major prestige, award-winning paper, more money? No contest, Todd is making the only choice that makes sense.

Chuck–Exactly. If I wanted the best in Homerism, I’d head to Seahawks.com to read Farnsworth. Clare Farnsworth is a fantastic writer, but now he has to put smiley faces on everything and toe the company line. Cush gig for him, but I really dont go there very often. Again, this isnt a place for a Homer at the Helm, its a blog that needs a professional writer who is analytical enough to be knowledgeable about the team without being blindly fanatic. Someone who will lay down the law when absolutely necessary, but otherwise let the blog police itself. And one who is secure enough with themselves not to censor any and all negative feedback.

Todd has done fine with all those things. Hughes and the staff at that time would have deleted all comments against him by now. Thank God we’re not dealing with that idiocy…

49. South–The chats were usually fun. Todd and the crew let some folks continually insult me there, yet managed to prevent any and all replies from me, even ones that were mild in comparison. There were also instances of him being flat wrong, and contradicting a commenter with supreme arrogance. When it turned out he was dead wrong, there was dead silence on the issue.

I will say that I got so pissed at the one-sided insults, being prevented from responding, and not having anyone on the blog make any attempt to reign in the insults directed my way that I decided to make my voice heard: I began sending profane, insulting comments that I knew full well wouldnt be posted just to mess with Todd et al…

…And he didnt ban me. He never even mentioned it on the blog. So later I apologized and have behaved myself, for the most part, since.

He could have handled that situation much different.

50. To be clear, the insults toward me were from multiple people, but it was a single game live chat. Neither the attacks on me nor my boorish response to Todd happened again.

51. HawkfaninMT says:

@Chuck: Going back to the Rice and PUP discussion…

Does the mini camps count? Or is it simply the upcoming training camp that the players can’t participate in?

I ask because I feel like I heard the Rice was doing catching drills on the side during the OTAs. Would those prevent him from being “PUPed”?

Thank you for the expertise!

PHXHawk

I get it. We should keep our mouths shut and not have any perceived negative opinion or criticism directed at the way TNT or whoever is running the blog because it is free.

But disagreements with fellow bloggers are fine so long as they are civil like saying-

“There are those on this blog that resent anyone else moderating it other than themselves.”

Is that your standard of civil?

So basically you are saying –

rule #1 All gloves off when it comes to fellow bloggers with regards to disagreements.

Rule #2 don’t ever complain about TNT or who they choose to run the blog, (even if they suck) because we should be grateful for getting it free.

Ok, maybe I had it all wrong. Perhaps you are right.

Perhaps I should be doing this your way.
    Always kiss up to the blog master & take any frustrations out on my fellow bloggers by bashing them. In a civil way of course.

Lol.

53. chuck_easton says:

HawkfaninMT,

Only actual training camp counts. You only need to look back to last season.

Harvin participated in OTA’s and mini-camp. He came in on day 1 of camp and couldn’t go. He spent the entire pre-season on PUP and stayed on PUP.

There will be a group of players that will start training camp on PUP.

I’m guessing Irvin, Okung, Chancellor, and likely a few others that just aren’t quite ready to practice.

Of that group I see only Irvin as likely to remain on PUP for the full pre-season thus making him eligible to start the year on PUP.

54. I find GeorgiaHawk completely obnoxious with his constant posting links any of us can look up on the internet as if he’s doing something significant for us here. But I enjoy Georgia’s posts and opinions and like reading what he has to say whether I agree or not. But to sit there and literally armchair QB whoever is in charge of the blog and criticize their content is annoying. We make the blog what it is. There’s plenty out there to read about the Hawks nowadays. Would it be better if Todd just posted all the links Georgia does and in acceptable time frame? Geeeez. One thing I can say I’m 95% right about is this blog is filled with people who like to bitch about everything no matter what it is. You could give them the moon, sun and 5 Seahawks Superbowl wins and they’d find a way to bitch about it and be ungrateful because it didn’t happen how THEY envisioned it….. Todd did just fine here. Not great and not bad either so lay off the guy. I hope TNT shuts this blog down so y’all will realize that it was much better than anything else out there. I’d rather have someone who isn’t a fan run the blog (except the last two filthy Raiders fans :) ) to keep things in perspective. Last thing I want is a blog run by an opinionated fan boy. There’s plenty of those here already.

Sorry. I had to do a little bitching myself so I’m just as bad….

I don’t think this blog has even been run by a so-called “fan boy”. At least not going back to Clayton.

56. chuck_easton says:

Just to add up the ‘fan boy’ score:

Clayton – Don’t recall who his admitted favourite team was.
    Sando – Grew up in the Bay Area and was a diehard Raiders fan.
    Frank – Don’t know, don’t care…
    Eric – Raiders and proud of it.
    Todd – Will admit to being a Raiders fan, but given his Bostonian roots and his love for the Bruins I’m going to guess he’s a closet NE fan and just doesn’t want to look like a bandwagon guy.

So three out of five claim the Raiders, one didn’t like football at all, and the other was so long ago even an old fart like me can’t remember.

STTBM

That’s usually what I do is go to fieldgulls first.

Mainly because Kelly is all over the place getting Seahawks info from a variety of places (including Todd & TNT)

Plus he is a constantly updating Seahawks news & he gets the morning links out at 7am est time every day.

I don’t just go to that site either.
    I go to other teams sites like ninernation from time to time to get a different point of view.

There’s a lot of good Seahawks info out there & unlike chuck I like to search for different angles that TNT doesn’t offer.

I’m sure one of the reasons why chuck doesn’t do it is because he already gets a lot of info here from what myself & others bring from different sites.

In other words we make it easy for you chuck.

Otherwise you would really be chuck/stuck in the dark ages of the NFL like how you were stuck with the (can’t start a rookie delusion) even though it was being already done often & with good results.

58. yankinta says:

GeorgiaHawk,, yes, Absolutely!! If T-Jack outplays RW, our FO will make T-Jack the Starter. But I seriously doubt T-Jack has what it takes to outplay RW. In fact, I’d bet my House on it. :)

It is all about the competition….

Time will tell whether Rice will start on PUP or IR or whichever method. For my money, I think he will either play well enough to make the Roster or get cut. But I would much prefer that he gets traded and we get back something for him.

59. chuck_easton says:

Hey Georgia,

And I come here for your RAH RAH stuff! I love it. Don’t stop. I just don’t need a blog owned, operated, and run by Seahawks fans.

I like a more objective slant to the reporting side.

But, this will make your blood boil!:

So Tate says he’s going to be a better player this year because he’s being thrown to by Stafford and not Wilson. Says the balls get there quicker and with better touch.

60. yankinta says:

Well, Golden Tate has a point. I agree with him playing along side Calvin and going against 2nd or 3rd CB on Defenses benefiting him. We all know he could not consistently get open last year against Top CB on other teams, although we face a lot of Top 5 or Top 10 Defenses all year. This should be a good opportunity for him.

However Stafford is too wild and too inaccurate. He’ll find that out quickly. And unless he can get wide open, Stafford would rather throw contested balls to Calvin. I know I would. I predict Tate will miss RW half way through the Season.

Ok DFloydd

Gloves off!

How many times have I really complained about late links?

In fact I was defending Todd very strongly when he first came here if you want to take the time to look it up.

I said it wasn’t just about links.

If you don’t like the links I post don’t read them.

If I keep hearing that folks here don’t want me to post them anymore I won’t.
    If you or just a few don’t like them too bad.

BTW Todd’s a big boy & can handle criticism. You have to have steel balls when you are from the North East.

62. wazzulander says:

FWIW, Todd mentioned from the start he wasn’t a big proponent of the morning links but kept them going because they were popular.

Sure, it would have been nice to have more original, in-depth articles, but he was apparently spread pretty thin at TNT so I don’t begrudge him for not writing more of them. I think Todd has done a pretty good job giving us some “insider knowledge” and facilitating blog conversations, to dump on him now as he is almost out the door seems to lack some class.

I’m pretty sure Clayton is a Steelers fan.

63. chuck_easton says:

And going back to that Golden Tate article. Not only did he refer to himself in the third person, he then went on to say “I” no less than 10 times.

I think we know why Golden is no longer a Seahawk.

Actually chuck that’s pretty old news.
    I posted a link similar to that about Tate 3 months ago.

See what you miss when you don’t keep up with the links.

BTW Tate is just butt hurt because Harvin is now the man & he now plays in a sorry city for a sorry team.

Chuck,

Are you testing STTBMs ability to stay calm with the Tater talk?

Lol.

66. chuck_easton says:

Just stirring the pot and trying to get the blog away from a “let’s trash TNT-a-thon”.

There’s got to be more to argue about.

Whomever the next man up will be will get to feel our wrath! But for now, let’s at least argue football!

67. Am I the only one who finds it odd that Yakinta is the guy most focused on posting about football today?

Not saying you can’t post your opinion here, and everyone’s entitled. But its a blog. The fact any of us are posting here at all means Todd has at least kept it alive, even if some of us want different things than others. TNT could decide to shut it down if they don’t want to hire Todd’s replacement, and we’d lose more than Todd – we’d lose the community of folks who have invested their time over the course of his predecessors.

Want to see how it could go down? Check out the ESPN blog with Terry Blount. That guy is obviously phoning it in, but worse than his bland articles are the toxic posts of people over there who seem to live for commenting about how bad he is. They are why I don’t bother anymore, not Terry.

So I say next man (or woman) up. Let’s hope the next writer keeps it open and active first and foremost, and if they can layer in more juicy content that’s all to the good. WE are this blog, though. I come here to read you guys just as much as I read what Todd has to say or the links he finds.

Can’t wait for real football to start.

68. montanamike2 says:

For real. Even pre season games.

69. FleaFlicker says:

what kamikyo said. ESPN/Seahawks was a decent column under Sando. Under Blount it’s flat unreadable.

I’d love to see Rob Rang on here, but he’s already got a day job teaching school and a night job scouting college prospects.

Boling would be a good moderator, but he’s probably got enough seniority at the TNT to avoid having this thankless blog hung around his neck on a daily basis.

70. Duke/Chuck – re: fan boys running the blog. I just meant there hasn’t been a fan boy running this blog before and I don’t want it to start now. (As a few have mentioned)

Georgia- no hard feelings. You are right, I can just not read the links. Keep bringing your passion for Seahawks football as I do enjoy it.

So far over the years I enjoy the inside stories Dave B. has contributed to the blog. Hopefully he can take over in the interim.

Good luck in DC TD Knee!

71. seatowntp says:

Please fellas, do not use that “F” word on here, it turns my stomach. (He was so committed to the football he took his vacation during Training Camp! Nice timing.) If I never hear that guys name again. . .

Chuck, you made an interesting observation at 1:47, and I believe you are right.

I remember in one of the first chats we had with Todd I asked him what university did Otis Sistrunk go to?
    He couldn’t answer it.

You can’t really be a Raiders fan if you don’t know about the university of Mars.

73. montanamike2 says:

Never again, i promise seatowntp. I like Boling too, whoever we get, it is what it is. Plenty of “sportswriters” mail it in and i hope we don’t get stuck with a Whiners fan(please God no!).

I just realized that Yankinta gets 95% of his information off the links that I post.

DFloydd was right! What was I thinking?

75. Where does it say Todd is leaving? Sounds to me like he’ll return after vacation…maybe I missed something?

Wilson is on NFL network.

77. Georgia–You really want to fight, don’t you? Not happening, at least with me. I simply disagree with your overall opinion on Todd’s running of the blog, though I do understand the points you raise, and they are valid concerns. But mostly, I don’t agree with how you went about voicing your opinion. It would seriously piss me off if I were running the blog; Todd has much thicker skin than I.

If you want to get bent out of shape that I disagree with you, feel free; but its kinda pointless in this instance. I simply posted my rebuttals to your argument–neither of us should really expect the other to change their minds, adults rarely do that, even if the face of overwhelming proof they are wrong. Look it up, its proven.

Audible–There was a twitter link saying Todd had accepted a position with the Washington Post.

78. As for Tate, I think its an accepted fact that Dude is a Bonehead. A bad guy? Not hardly. He has the talent to be a star, and will be–just not here.

Stafford makes some throws downfield RW can only dream about, but he surely isn’t as advanced at reading defenses, nor does he have RW’s accuracy. But put Stafford with our coaches/team, he’d improve. Put RW with those ex-Detroit idiots and that team, and he’d be much worse. That’s impossible to prove, but its my opinion.

Tate is not a number one WR. He could be a co-number one though, and I think he’s going to be perfect in Detroit, with Megatron, Bell and Bush, and two badass receiving TE’s…

Detroit is gonna get shellacked through the air with those DB’s though, unless Fairley quits being lazy, Suh quits being a dirty cheater, and Ansah steps up; which could happen. I think they are betting they can rack up 24 point minimum every week, and out-sack everyone, thus negating the need to have a great secondary. Not sure it will work, but it should be interesting to watch the Lions this year: they haven’t had offensive talent like this since Barry Sanders/Herman Moore days…

STTBM

What the heck are you talking about?

Chuck posted the cater to tater link not me.

80. Thanks, STTBM :-)

81. MoSeahawk12 says:

I wouldn’t read too much into Tate’s comments. He is simply praising his new employer along with the guy that will be throwing the ball to him. This happens all the time. Anyone here work one place and then get another job with another place? It wouldn’t look too good to speak better of the previous place. Your current employer is the one writing the checks so of course they are at a higher level. Saying Stafford’s passes get there quicker than Wilson. Ok. I’m sure Wilson would probably agree. Wilson has a great, accurate NFL arm and isn’t going to sweat an ex teammate giving his new QB props. These guys know the game and Tate’s loyalty is with the Lions and Stafford. It was with us and Wilson, but both sides moved on and he didn’t really do anything wrong. Tate was a great player for us and helped us win many games as a receiver and punt returner. I wish him all the best and hope he gets to improve his stats in Detroit. I don’t see him improving on winning games there though.

82. Moving forward, I’d like to see more of Dave. I like how we can reference players from the 80s and he’s got stories about covering them. He’s also up-to-date on the current Hawks moreso than anyone else I can think of either.

Please, not another Frank Hughes (fingers crossed).

83. Georgia-The comment on Tate wasn’t directed at you, just killing two birds with one comment lol!

84. Mo–Exactly! I agree completely!

And Stafford has a stronger arm than RW’s, there’s nothing wrong with admitting it. In fact, its pretty lame to insist RW is the best at everything, when that’s not true. No one in their right mind would wish for Stafford over RW for our team. But plenty of QB’s have stronger arm, more zip on the ball, and a good many throw a sexier (faster, more accurate) deep ball than RW. But when I say that, understand that I wouldn’t trade RW for any other qb, even Rogers (cause he’s getting older). RW can make every throw, and he’s got a strong enough arm for sure. Now, wouldn’t it be SICK if he had the arm of Kaep or Rogers or something?! But that just wouldn’t be fair, considering his other gifts (like Leadership, composure, football intelligence and knowledge, and other intangibles), now would it?!

85. Bobbyk–I think Dave would be great. I bet there’s no way in hell he wants the job though.

I think running this blog (like my job)is like peeing your pants when youre wearing a navy blue suit; you get a warm feeling, but no one really notices…

86. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

lol, you all are funny as hell. go back and look everyone it is like this every year before training camp starts. we all seem to get bitchy and impatient for the season to start.

Just pre-game jitters Oklahoma.

Bobbyk makes an excellent point.

Dave would be great.

He wouldn’t have to post every day either.

Dave can do more with less material. That’s how good he is imo.

STTBM

Where have you ever read or heard that Wilson was the best at everything or that he has the strongest arm.
    Certainly not on this blog. And I have never seen it anywhere else.

This is a good example of why you get so worked up & angry over nothing so often.

90. Georgia–Its seems to me that every single time anyone on this blog has anything to say about RW other than he’s wonderful, a bunch of people get up in arms about it, as if admitting he isnt the best at everything is sacrilege.

Over and over again, one tiny criticism leads to a firestorm of argument, and often it leads to the argument of Luck/Wilson or Is Wilson Elite.. blah blah blah…

Its gets old. We should be able to analyze our players fairly–and criticize their weak points–without people freaking out. If you’ve never seen this happen, you havent been paying attention.

As for me getting worked up, I get worked up over everything Im passionate about, and if Im not passionate about something, I pay no attention to it. As for being angry, I am rarely angry. Irritated sometimes, but rarely angry. I reserve anger for when I or someone else is being unfairly insulted, mocked, labeled, or deliberately misunderstood.

Ive been reading my comments more carefully and attempting to ensure my meaning and tone get communicated accurately. Obviously I still have a ways to go.

The Tate comment I made was not directed at you at all, but the other commenters who posted regarding Tate in this thread. And at no point have I been upset or even “worked up” when discussing stuff with you on this thread, for the record. We’re cool as far as Im concerned.

Maybe I should start using cute emoticons regularly lol?!

91. Are you frickin serious STTBM??? “It gets old????” Hello pot, I’m kettle. Refer to your 1,000,000 posts regarding the offensive line over the past year. THAT got old a long time ago. And no, you can’t s say it doesn’t matter cuz this year you think the line will be better. People are gonna defend Wilson same as you defending yourself with your OL comments. C’mon man….

STTBM

It’s not the logical criticism of Wilson, it’s the fabricated stuff you make up about how some folks see him that gets yourself all riled up.

DFloydd, I like your passion & your logic.

*One note about my posting of links that perhaps I haven’t made aware is that I actually have had several posters here say that they like them because they don’t have the time to do the searching.

I don’t post them to piss people off. And I fully understand if some folks don’t value them.

Some people are older & don’t want to bother with searching, & believe it or not some folks don’t know how, like I used to be.

93. Southendzone says:

Tate saying he will catch more balls due to #81, the scheme in DET, or the pass-oriented offense is totally fine with me.

When he says the ball is going to get there with more zip or whatever, that comment just seems like more sour grapes from him. He has had multiple chances to move on from Seattle with class, and failed at every one of those opportunities.

I liked him as a player, I wanted him to stay, but now that he’s gone, his words & actions have shown a childish vindictive side of him that doesn’t fit on our team. Stay Classy Golden.

94. Dfloyd–Many of my 1million comments regarding the Oline were direct rebuttals of erroneous or failed arguments in favor of the line that others posted. If someone talks to me, or tries to argue with me, I’m likely to respond.

And I still think it’s asinine for folks to bristle when someone says a QB has more zip on the ball than RW. Plenty of other qb’s have stronger arms–but only a handful are better than RW, so who cares and why have a fit denying the obvious?!