Schedule breakdown: Denver Broncos

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 12, 2014 at 12:56 am with 52 Comments »
July 12, 2014 12:56 am
Peyton Manning was looking for answers and found none during the Super Bowl. / AP photo

Heading into camp, we’ll take a quick look through the opponents on the 2014 schedule.

Third up: The Denver Broncos

When: Sunday, Sept. 21, 1:25 p.m at CenturyLink Field

Last season: 13-3; season ended with 43-8 loss in Super Bowl XLVIII

What went right: The most prolific offense in NFL history. With Peyton Manning at the controls, Denver rolled while averaging 37.9 points per game. Manning threw for 5,477 yards, an NFL regular-season record. The Broncos had four receivers with 778 receiving yards or more, including two (Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker) with at least 1,288 yards. The numbers were staggering, then rendered meaningless in the Super Bowl.

What did not: Special teams. The Broncos were last in the league in kickoff coverage, allowing 29.3 yards per game. They were 22nd in punt return coverage. Denver’s poor kickoff coverage was something Percy Harvin and the Seahawks exploited in the Super Bowl. Also, the Broncos had an inexplicable Super Bowl offensive gameplan. They intentionally did what the Seahawks tried to force opponents to do: which was throw shallow. Obviously, that did not work.

2014 Super Bowl odds: 13-2 (tied with the Seahawks as the favorites)

Key offseason addition(s): DeMarcus Ware and Aqib Talib. The Broncos gave Ware a three-year, $30 million deal with a whopping $23 million guaranteed. Ware had a career-low six sacks last year when he played 13 games and dealt with multiple injuries. Otherwise, he has a ferocious track record. Denver was 13th in the league last year in sacks. Talib gives the Broncos a needed upgrade at cornerback. They brought in one of the larger and more physical corners in the league on a six-year deal. Out are Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Champ Bailey.

Key offseason loss: Wesley Woodyard. Woodyard was second on the team in tackles out of his middle linebacker spot. Von Miller and Danny Trevathan are excellent linebackers on either side. Denver will turn to Nate Irving and Jamar Chaney in the middle when they are not in their two-linebacker nickel sets.

Last regular-season meeting: Sept. 19, 2010 at Denver, the Broncos won, 31-14.

1. jawpeace says:

Did Peyton Manning ever come to Seattle as a Colt to play the Hawks? I can’t recall him ever playing here. With that if he thought it was loud at the Super Bowl on the first play…. LOL…. (Just had a flash back to the look on his face when the ball went sailing by.)He is going to love his first time here. I guarantee their will be no “Omaha” shout outs at the line of scrimmage.

2. SandpointHawk says:

Peyton has played in Seattle three times…1998, 2000, 2005. Seahawks won in 2000, lost the other two. Played twice in the Kingdome, once in Clink…

3. montanamike2 says:

If Manning played in the NFC he wouldn’t have those gaudy stats. You get the feeling that he’s being groomed for the HOF, which is deserved because of what he did earlier in his career, many times he carried the Colts on his back. He hasn’t played here since Wilson, the LOB and the new rejuvenated 12th man, which expects to win every game, were here. They are more dangerous than in the super bowl with Vonn Miller back and the new additions like Ware and Talib, but i don’t think that’s enough to squeak out a win unless we have a poor game. Best of luck Todd, thanks for holding down the fort.

What went wrong more than the special teams play was the turnovers & the inability to stop the Seahawks much on third down.

I think father time will catch up to Manning this season & he will call it a career after Luck & the Colts knock him out of the playoffs.

The schedule was too easy for Denver last year.

5. vichawkfan says:

Denver is poised for a letdown season. I watched Peyton on NFL Network this week and was asked about the upcoming season and of course “The Blowout”. His body language says he gave it 110% last year and he’s still low in the tank for this year. Maybe that changes come camp. Sept 21st will be happy feet part deux.

6. vichawkfan says:

p.s. congrats on the move Todd. I enjoy your writing style and twitter commitment. Noticed you already follow plenty of Redskins.

7. confucious says:

Manning is going to the HOF, that’s a givin. He has done some great work. I always wonder how much better he could have been if he would have traded the “at the line” play calling for tempo. The longer a defense has to see their opponents in an offensive set allows them more time to reflect on the film they watched the week prior.
    Instead of using his famed intense game studies on micro managing offensive sets, it seems to me he would be better served by using that knowledge to exploit defensive weakness with quick recognition.
    I remember watching Hasselback when the offense would get into that good rythmic tempo. It was a thing of beauty. But when Holmy would get confused and take too much time choosing the play, drive over.

8. Ray_Maines says:

The SB loser generally doesn’t get back to the playoffs the following year. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if things unravel in Denver, San Diego wins the AFCW and Indi goes to the Superbowl.

Maybe I’m just letting my heart do my thinking for me, but I’d love to see that soft schedule, overrated, cup-cake Colt team get splattered by the ‘Hawks next February.

As an aside: Wouldn’t it be crappy to play your three SB’s in the cities of Detroit, outdoors in NYC, and Glendale AZ? Where’s New Orleans or Miami when you need them?

9. Speaking of Omaha, a lot of people noticed Manning didn’t use “Omaha” in the Superbowl, but did you notice what he did use? He was saying “Walsh!” “Unitas!” “Landry!” “Merlyn!”

Sort of like he was trying to change it up, and pay tribute to some NFL legends at the same time. A little too cute if you ask me. Since he ended up just throwing a bunch of short passes anyway.

Other than the division games, the game against Denver is one of the biggest. To show the Superbowl was no fluke, and it wasn’t just Denver getting off to a bad start then not being able to recover.

At least we would have a much stronger 12th man showing in Arizona for the Super Bowl.

It would be like a home game, much like it was when we played there last season.

You would think after the 12th man showing in the Super Bowl this piped in crowd noise nonsense would go away.

11. ohiohawkfan says:

After taking one look at Seattle’s D, Manning was saying Oh-My-God, instead of O-ma-ha.

12. Southendzone says:

I think I heard Peyton shouting out “UNCLE” for audibles in the Superbowl.

IN-depth analysis of Kevin Williams in this linked article, I found it interesting.

13. sluggo42 says:

I don’t know if this link will work, but I hope so. It’s perhaps the best video ever…

14. sluggo42 says:

Good it works –

Todd, feel free to make it it’s own thread, it deserves it.
    If it doesn’t tear you up, you are not a Hawk fan

15. Macabrevity says:

Vichawk – I agree with you. I just don’t see what they’re doing in Denver as a good way to build a ball club. Bringing in the high dollar big name FA’s especially ones past their prime for top dollar just doesn’t usually pan out. NE always made it work because of their core and their knack for grabbing unwanteds on the cheap. Denver is pretty stacked in a weak division, yet I still see them slipping, whether it’s Peyton missing games or that defense not panning out, I see San Diego potentially passing them. There are a lot of variables, but even if it doesn’t happen, I don’t see them getting past NE again.

16. Todd – Good luck! I don’t have a chance to check the blog as often as I’d like this time of the year… but if you’re leaving, best wishes. Wish you would have been at that Sox/Mariners game last Sunday, but that’s okay…

If you’re headed to the Washington Post, that’s awesome, too! Just don’t ever expect to write a (good) article about the JFK assassination by using logic, facts, and evidence. The “masters” do not like that sort of thing, FYI… but the Redskins should be fair game, so you won’t have to worry…

17. Macabrevity says:

Georgia – that top five list looks a bit off. How could they leave out Cinci and Zona? I’d even put Cleveland, Baltimore, KC and even SF ahead of Denver. Just my opinion…

18. Southendzone says:

sluggo, that video shows in a TINY little view in the center of my screen. Looks like its made for mobile viewing.

19. There are tons of those fan reaction videos on youtube. Besides Hawks fans celebrating, I like the ones with angry Niners and Broncos fans the best. One guy gets so mad he almost starts breaking stuff in his own living room.

20. Southendzone says:

ummm never mind I figured it out :)

21. sluggo42 says:

Dang it, it worked on mine…
    I just liked the compilation,of them all, and the best ones included the 49er fans melting down…

Looks a bit off to me too Mac.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Browner & Revis do together.

& also how Thurmond does with the Giants.

Could we possibly get any comp picks if they play well?

What would be the best case scenarios (for us) regarding comp picks for next year? Anyone?

23. What did I miss, Todd is leaving? Heading to DC??? I searched around but didn’t see any announcement or such. If he’s moving on any idea who’s moving in?

24. Southendzone says:

Here’s what I know about comp picks:

Max you can get is 4, highest possible round you can get is 3rd round. UFA’s signed offset UFA’s lost, so it’s net UFA’s lost. The main component of what round you receive is based on the contracts of players you signed & lost.

I think we’re in line for 4. Tate was the biggest contract signed, if we are lucky he will get us a 4th rounder, 3rd rounders are for pretty monster deals like Mike Wallace got from MIA.

Players like Breno, Thurmond, and I forget who else will be in the 6 range is my best guess, however I may be forgetting some of our FA losses.

Thanks South.

27. Boy I go on vacation and it gets all crazy around here

1- Yank still wont respond to the fact that he didn’t post on the blog what he said he did prior to RW being drafted or immediately after

2 – STTBM – disappears for awhile and gets in an argument right away on returning

3 – someone posts that Todd is Leaving

4 – BTW – the Seahawks are still Superbowl CHAMPS!!!

I have been wearing my Hawks shirts all over SoCal and it has been great – one lady in Disneyland muttered under her breath “seahawks suck” as she passed – the guys behind me who I didn’t know immediately yelled GO HAWKS in her direction – was fun!!

I have run into a bunch of Washington people down here – been great. Met a guy who was transferred down here from Mukulteo and had shirts printed with the outline of California but FILLED with the hawks logo. NICE!!!

28. MoSeahawk12 says:

Only some of these things are surprising…..

29. Ewalters7354 says:

STTBM – disappears for awhile and gets in an argument right away on returning”

Lol

30. bsinnitt says:

It will be interesting to see Payton play against the the rest of our division this year. It should be a good indicator if the Broncos offense was just over-confident or over-rated last year. KC’s defense is pretty solid so playing them twice along with the NFC West should give a better indicator of where their offense ranks.

Top 5 soon to be top 3 QB highlights-

That’s better.

Not bad for on the job learning the past two years.

I don’t think Wilson will be anything less than top 5 for the rest of his career.
    Especially with Manning & Brady getting old in the tooth.

33. Hey, at least Im man enough to apologise pretty much immediately when Im out of line…

But I didnt apologize for the argument itself, just the part that was out of line. This blog is for discussing what we disagree about as well as the fun happy stuff–if we all just back-slapped, this blog would be dead.

I am working on being less intense and am trying to be more careful of not only what I say, but how I say it; I think many feel my comments are always angry when much of the time (especially when using hyperbole) Im at least half joking.

Another thing to remember is that this isnt personal; unless Im judged or called names or insulted, I dont take disagreements personally either. We should all be able to chew the fat, and argue our opinions without getting all humpty. Im working on it lol!

But I cannot change the fact that I am analytical (sometimes to a fault) and when something bugs me, I will discuss and argue it ad nauseum with anyone and everyone who will take part. I tend to focus on the teams weak spots, and what doesnt go right. There’s just a lot more to discuss on that topic than on what goes right, since what went right is a lot more cut and dried, even obvious; it leaves much less room for opinion and discussion.

So again, I would hope that those that disagree feel free (but not obligated) to join the discussion, but remember to try to keep it from being personal. And for those who dont wish to discuss a topic, then rather than howl about how you (out of all the commenters) are bored with the topic and dont wish to discuss it, why not simply discuss something else or refrain from commenting? No one forces anyone to discuss anything. Its a free world…

34. For the record, I think the offensive line will be the most improved position group on the team. With Carpenter in shape and with plenty of experience at LG, with Okung and Unger getting healthy, Sweezy entering his third year and likely to improve (hopefully dramically), not to mention new addition (and acutal RT) Britt winning the RT battle, they cant help but be better as long as injuries are less than last year.

Now, Im not expecting a top 5 line or even a top 10, but I think they can get back to actually run blocking at a top 5 level (in ypc, efficiency, etc not just total yards), and get their pass pro to about 17-20th, which would be more than enough to earn middle of the pack status.

With RW’s smarts and mobility, and Lynch’s pure Beastliness, thats a recipe for offensive domination. Which I am eager to witness.

Add that to a fantastic Special Teams and defense that I at least feel will be even better than last year, and this year should be awesome. We may lose a couple more games, but I think this offense and D will be even more fun to watch than last years.

35. I also think Browner and Revis will utterly transform New Englands defense. They are going to be tough for Denver. They have a couple good young WR’s and a few TE’s and if they all stay healthy, watch out.

Gawd, I hate the forty-whiners! I would trade four losses for beating them three times next year lol!

36. Southendzone says:

that clip is excellent, thanks Georgia.

A couple fav moments:

Where his body levitates stretching out vs AZ to somehow get off a pass before being taken down.

Stiff-arms Justin Tuck to the ground vs NYG. If I remember, Justin Tuck is a pretty big man.

Not a favorite, but re-watching those AZ clips reminds me of just how quickly they were collapsing the pocket on almost EVERY play. That has to change this year.

GO HAWKS!

37. sluggo42 says:

We started really slow offensively last year, and I’m hoping for a dramatic change to that problem this year. With the theoretical oline improvements, Percy, and the WRs, beast and the other guy I’m looking forward to seeing a bit CM, is one part. But wil RW be bringing a newer element?

I personally think the d will be better too

Agree Sluggo.

The Harvin factor alone will help.

I don’t think teams will be able to stop us like they did last year.

39. montanamike2 says:

I think RW started working on new things about a week after he won the SB, he knows teams are still trying to figure him out so he’s staying one step ahead. OK maybe two weeks.

STTBM

No need to apologize for being wrong about your arguments.

Just say you are 95% right.

Just yanking your chain btw.

And I agree with you about New England.

41. AzulVerde says:

STTBM:

Speaking strictly for myself I have zero problem with you. Many of us can get intense or stubborn or push hard when we strongly believe something. There is nothing wrong with that IMHO as long as when your pushing your side nothing gets personal i.e.: calling someone names.

Your a good guy, and bring a lot of good points to all of our discussions. You don’t necessarily need to tone anything down (unless of course you want too) Be yourself, I appreciate the other bloggers for who they are. Even Yank, while I might not agree with him/her I accept everyone for who they are. Again as long as things don’t get personal.

Final note on your hyperbole… just remember “written communication is the absolute worst form there is” Unless you know someone really, really , really well. You cannot see facial expressions, body language, hear tone of voice etc. So subtleties can easily be missed. Such as when you meaning to be joking, but everyone takes you serious.

It doesn’t resolve it completely but I will use emotes occasionally to help solve that problem. i.e.: *Grin, *poke, *high fives etc.

Anyway just wanted you to know that your appreciated as well as hated *Grin from time to time.

My2CentsWorth

42. To throw another perspective out there… New England lost Talib, a top CB in his own right (to Denver) so by them signing Revis, who is better than Talib, it’s not like it’s a drastic improvement though.

If Revis replaced someone who sucked, it’d be one thing, but Revis is, IMO, the second best CB in the NFL and he’s replacing a guy who is a top 5 (top 10 at worst) CB in the NFL.

Also, Browner isn’t the type of CB who can afford to lose any speed at all and with him hitting 30 before the season starts – he’s certainly not getting any faster.

I don’t see their secondary as vastly improved. Improved, yes, but not drastically.

43. montanamike2 says:

I agree, they’ll be a bit better but no LOB.

44. sluggo42 says:

And we all know BB has trouble with quick guys

45. Macabrevity says:

That article about the Pats secondary surpassing LoB is pretty hilarious.

Yes, the ageing Revis coming back from a major injury and an ineffective year will be better than Sherman. Yes, Brandon Browner will be better than Max, I mean he beat him out here right? Yes they have a safety better than Earl Thomas… who doesn’t? And yes Foxborough Gillette has turf that hits harder than Kam (if you jump from the 200 level). I agree, Pats secondary all the way.

46. montanamike2 says:

I think the ‘Cards secondary is closer to the LOB than the Pats.

47. montanamike2 says:

But still not the real Slim Shady!

48. jawpeace says:

Mac, I can till that you are being sarcastic this time. I must be getting better with my sarcasm deficiency. Or that only a drunken fool would actually write and believe that. And you are not a fool. Therefore it has to be ^^.

49. Ewalters7354 says:

Browner in one on one coverage will be pretty funny to watch.He’s big and strong but if he gets beat off the line,game over.Revis is still good but isn’t much different from Talibin terms of play and injuries.The LOB is young and durable,and they bring it Damon near every game.Not to mention chemistry,which Browner and Revis don’t have.

50. Azul–Thanks, man! Ill try to remember to add something so folks understand when Im not being totally serious.

Much of the content of my comments I feel is fine; not necessarily popular, but theres nothing wrong with that. The problem is that some of it was utterly misunderstood by a good portion of the commenters here, and that bothers me. Its something that also carries over into my work, and with communication problems in both worlds, I’d be an idiot not to take note and work on improving in that regard.

So Im trying to post more when I agree, or have something positive to say on this blog, and to use language that is less confrontational and less “angry” or intense. I will remain passionate, just trying to channel it differently.

Perhaps if I master my intent on this blog, it will carry over into my work. It couldnt hurt…