The Super Bowl ring is the thing

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 11, 2014 at 12:14 am with 52 Comments »
July 11, 2014 1:17 am

The lower three floors of the Westin Hotel in Newark, New Jersey, swelled with revelers the night of the Super Bowl. The Seahawks had just finished bludgeoning the Denver Broncos, 43-8, to win Super Bowl XLVIII, and the party was on.

Players did different things in different places that night. Some flagged down dark-tinted car services to bring them into New York City as dawn approached. Others stayed at the Westin, which the night before during the same overnight hours had the pulse of a morgue, to party with Macklemore and team owner Paul Allen.

The Seahawks winning their first Super Bowl since the team’s 1976 inception has been noted in various ways since. The sign announcing Seattle’s swanky practice facility on 12 Seahawks Way in Renton was updated with a Super Bowl champions logo. Doormats inside the facility were changed for ones with Super Bowl logos. Players went home to greetings of “Hey, champ.”

There is one thing that will tie every full-time employee of the organization together, however: The Super Bowl ring. It’s dazzling white gold hand candy framed with 40 blue sapphires that will make it onto the fingers of about 400 people.

• • •

Only a couple weeks had past since the Seahawks’ win in New Jersey before they were hearing pitches in Seattle from Tiffany and Co. and Jostens Jewelry about the Super Bowl ring that could be.

A committee including Seahawks owner Paul Allen, team president Peter McLoughlin, general manager John Schneider, coach Pete Carroll and a small amount of player representatives, as well as other executives, were involved in creating the ring.

Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 8.43.12 PMOnce the Seahawks selected Tiffany’s – which also makes the Super Bowl trophy – the design process was under way.

Tiffany’s presented multiple preliminary designs to the committee. Those were discussed, reviewed and changed. Next came something on paper, then examples made from wax and metal.

The Seahawks stressed several points. Among them: that the “12th Man” be recognized on the ring, that specific phrases like, “Leave no doubt 24/7” were inscribed, and, that the green eye in their logo be matched on the ring.

After about 4-6 weeks, the design was settled on and finished by Tiffany’s design arm in New York City. Production began shortly after in its manufacturing facility in Cumberland, Rhode Island.

The hand-rendered design is run through a CAD (computer-assisted design) program to produce a precise mold and model. The components of the ring are assembled, and all the stones are set and polished by hand.

The ring is put through a quality assurance process before it receives a final polish. Each ring took 45 hours to make.

Next, is shipping. The rings are sent to Tiffany’s distribution center in New Jersey, placed in their famous blue box and wrapped with a white ribbon. Then, off to Seattle.

• • •

June 19, a little more than four months removed from the party in Newark, Seahawks players and management were at another party. The rings were given to players at a private event in Seattle’s EMP Museum. Music star Usher played, then posed for pictures. Players got together with their various units and stuck out their full fingers anchored by the ring.

Neither Tiffany’s nor the Seahawks would reveal the cost of the ring. The NFL provides Super Bowl champions up to $5,000 per ring for 150 rings. Team ownership has to make up any difference.

Value of the rings fluctuates. In 2012, Lawrence Taylor Jr., sold his father’s Super Bowl XXV ring in an online auction for $230,041. has a 2011 New York Giants Super Bowl player’s ring listed for $59,995. The site also touts a 2001 New England Patriots Super Bowl player’s ring for $39,995.

A Tiffany’s spokesperson says the rings are “truly priceless.” That’s likely true for former Seahawks owner John Nordstrom.

Nordstrom is often at the Seahawks’ practice facility in Renton. He watches practice, visits the media work room during the draft, and operates with a congenial and humble demeanor. When players leave the practice field and spot him, they stop for a handshake and hello.

He’ll be receiving his ring at July 22 ceremony, along with the rest of the folks who did not receive one during the first team-specific ceremony at EMP.

Nordstrom – who quickly touts the ownership of Allen – never thought he would end up with a Super Bowl ring. Carroll and Schneider called him to say he in fact would.

“I said, ‘Oh my gosh, you’ve got to be kidding,’ ” Nordstrom said. “ ‘You’ve got to be kidding.’ I just couldn’t believe it. I’m really kind of blown away.”

Which adds him to a list of about 400.

1. Macabrevity says:

Presenting Nordstrom with a ring is just another example of how this organization is doing it right. If you could pick one guy to receive a ring for all the 12’s out there, Nordstrom is a good pick.

2. Southendzone says:

Great article and video links even though I’ve seen that 2nd one before.

Love both parts of the write up, hearing about the post SB celebration & activity in the hotel is really cool, and the info about the ring is too.

As long as we’re talking about the rings, hope you all saw this, you can win a ring from Paul G. Allen himself.

Knox would be my first pick but Nordstrom is a good choice too.

Seahawks off season report card.

“I’ve been at the top of totem poll since high school you know.”

“You know what I’m saying?”

You may be at the top of the Crabtree but I don’t see you half way up the totem poll in the NFL.

You know what I’m saying?

No wonder he gets under Shermans skin.

5. HawkFromDay1 says:

In the words of our leading contemporary bard: “In high school you was the man homie. What the eff happened to you?” – 50 cent.

Then something about vendetta and cheddar rhyming… poetic license I suppose.

6. chuck_easton says:

I post this only because it’s fun to mess with yankster and a few others:

I see a QB named Luck, but no Wilson.

AAAANDDD let the head shaking, name calling, and outrage begin in 3, 2, 1…

I wouldn’t have a problem at all with Luck being MVP if he can take his less talented team further in the playoffs.

Either way mega head will most likely repeat unless the NFC West puts a SuperBowl beat down on him.

8. Soggybuc says:

What do you expect Crabtree to say? as long as the media keep pushing Sherman to stand by and revisit his remarks and repeating them to Crabs I would expect nothing less than him to remain defensive.
    Honestly Crabtree has handled this as well as could be expected in staying as tight lipped as he has.

9. montanamike2 says:

Sherman doesn’t want to talk about it anymore either, even though he keeps getting baited.

It’s pretty much exactly what I expected Crabtree to say. Lol.

11. Is there any NFL player that wasn’t “the man” in high school?

12. montanamike2 says:

PHXHawk that’s true.

13. Georgia–I was just thinking that Knox deserved one even more than Nordstrom. Had Nordstrom coughed up some extra money, Knox could have built the D he wanted and won one. He never had enough money to compete with the SF’s of the league…But he did more with less than any coach before or since.

Its still cool that they are giving Nordstrom a ring. That is class!

14. The Seahawks SB ring is growing on me. While I wont be buying a replica, I think its pretty cool.

To all those who loved the ring from the get-go, brace yourselves, Ima bout to eat crow;

You were right, I was wrong.

15. montanamike2 says:

STTBM you weren’t wrong for having a different opinion about the ring, hence no need to eat crow. It is gaudy, but it’s supposed to be. I won’t buy a replica either.

16. Hey, Dybas says he’s leaving for DC on his Twitter account!

Well, they musta pounced before ESPN could hire him away lol!

Damn, Todd, I hope they are paying you a buttload more because grey and wet as Tacoma is, its heaps better than DC–IMO anyhow.

Heck, ESPN and the like should be paying the Trib like a farm team for finding them talent!

Best wishes Todd, have fun and stay safe over there!

17. MontanaMike–Yeah, but I kinda had a fit about it lol! I was in full on Grumpy Old Man mode I guess!

18. montanamike2 says:

I didn’t see it that way, but cool you like the ring now. I hope next years ring is different so we don’t have 2-3 rings that are all the same.

19. montanamike2 says:

We can’t seem to keep a moderator on this blog!

20. Next man up

21. yankinta says:

Hey, I can buy how the Media think Luck can win it since he will be playing against the SOFTEST Schedule/Opponents upcoming season for the 3rd time in his career.

But my money is still on RW. The national Media will have to painfully admit it soon, and a few of us will enjoy it more than most on this blog. :)

22. jawpeace says:

Give me a choice between living with less money in WA state or more more money in Washington DC and I would take WA state every time.
    So it must be the Yank factor- Be driven crazy by Yanks self proclamations of being so right on this blog or go to another place without the self adulation comments.

I would have liked to see our three HOF get rings for as much they gave to the franchise. To me Nordstrom will always be the guy who sold the franchise to a douche named Ken Bering.

23. chuck_easton says:

Can we nominate Yank for the TNT job? He’s right about everything 95% of the time anyway!

Hello? Is this thing on?

If TNT was smart they would hire Danny Kelly from over at FieldGulls.

25. doubledink says:

You guys got it all wrong. It’s not the TNT that produces such upwardly mobile talent. It is obviously the vast pool of talent and knowledge that gets infused daily into the writer of this blog by the commenters of this blog, that is the true headwaters of that genius.

4 out of 5 aint bad. As for the 5th one, well, square pegs don’t fit round holes. But that’s not on us. We’ll just train up another one.

But seriously, congratulations and best wishes, Todd.

26. SandpointHawk says:

First and only Interview Question at the Washington Times: How do you feel about the name of our football team?

Wouldn’t it be funny if the day Todd leaves here it becomes the day Yank does.

28. I think the only way Todd takes the job was yanker comes with him. Good luck Todd and thanks you.

29. Who was the tool after Sando and before Eric Williams? Do I have this right:

some basketball guy who sucked and was given money to leave
    Eric Williams

30. doubledink says:

It was the square peg.

31. GeorgiaHawk… Great!!! that would be awesome. Good luck Todd thanks.

32. ” Knox could have built the D he wanted and won one. He never had enough money to compete with the SF’s of the league.”

The Hawks were in the AFC West when Knox coached them from 83-91. So San Francisco was not really who they were competing with. It was the Raiders they didn’t have the D to get by in the 1983 AFC Championship game.

Knox’s Hawks did play the Niners three times during his 9 seasons, and they lost all 3. But it was the Raiders, Broncos Chiefs and Chargers they were competing with, mostly. They never got far enough to face SF in the big one.

33. rbuzby–No arguments with you there. But if they wanted a championship, they had to compete with SF, who had the best team money could buy.

Players have said Knox would work himself up in his office (drinking Scotch) then come down and holler and yell, trying to get the 1984 team (esp. the D) to believe in themselves, to believe they could hang with anyone. He did a good job, but the guys just didnt quite believe enough, and the wheels began coming off in 1985.

1986 was the heartbreaker as bad as SB40; no team wanted any part of them the last four games, and playoff teams knew if Seattle made it in they were going all the way…We have the extra playoff Wildcard spot because of that years team…

34. montanamike2 says:

GeorgiaHawk i think if Danny Kelly came here there would be a boatload of trolls who follow him here.

35. “After that it was all downhill…until Holmy finally got his Spruce Goose off the ground…”

Yup. I wish Holmgren had cared more about defense.

I’m glad Carroll is a defensive guy, who also gets involved in the offense at times. When Pete has a strong feeling, he tells Bevell it’s time for a TD pass, or a run with the “big guy” then he lets Bevell decide what play to call. It seems to work.

True Montana.

There are a few parrots over there, STTBM can chase them off though.

Or maybe 420 can comeback & do it.

I do like Kelly’s passion & non stop dedication & you can always get his morning links at 4am Western time.

37. Ray_Maines says:

I don’t think RW has a snowballs chance of being the MVP. If the ‘Hawks go 19-0 and score 50 points per game Marshawn or Percey will get the award. I don’t see any QB playing in this system ever being the MVP. RW might be the best QB and most valuable player but he won’t win the award.

It’s a regular season award anyways so it’s only appropriate that the greatest regular season QB wins it while the Seahawks win the MVT award again.

39. AZBubba71 says:

Congrats to Todd on the promotion. I’m sorry that it is at the Washington Times though….the publishers there kind of make the old Nazi regime appear to be far too liberal. Move over to the Post as soon as possible.

40. ohiohawkfan says:

Congrats Todd. Thanks for your contributions to the blog. Next Man Up. Could it/Would it.. be Dave Boling? I’ve always enjoyed his occasional input.

41. Ewalters7354 says:

Thanks for the few months you were here Mr Todd.Can’t say I’ll miss you,but I do appreciate you keeping the blog moving.

TNT owner,if you read this,please let Dave run the blog please.He’s a Damon.good writer and has good chemistry with the people who bring life to this blog.US!

42. Ewalters7354 says:

Maybe the reason the paper tried to charge us is because they can’t pay to keep a talented writer?

43. Southendzone says:

Todd did a great job but it always seemed short term. I dont think NFL is in his top 3 favorite sports.

Also not from around here so no geographic ties to the area.

Hope you enjoyed your time here and have a lot of success in DC.

44. ChrisHolmes says:

Classy to give Nordstrom a ring. Very classy. Happy for that guy.

And I have to agree with Southendzone; seems to me NFL is not Todd’s favorite beat. I admit to now knowing any facts, just a perception from his coverage and the way he approached the blog. Hopefully the promotion goes well for him. Wish him the best.

45. chuck_easton says:

Congrats Todd!

I know it won’t be nearly as rewarding writing about the Potomac Basin Indigenous People (or “the team to be named later” ) as it was to write about the Seahawks.

But on the brighter side you ARE heading back to hockey country. I’m sure you will enjoy following and writing about the Caps.

46. Ewalters7354 says:

South and Chris,I with you guys on that.It bugged the hell out of me when breaking news would happen and he just would put up Twitter post from other people.I will miss the bacon stuff though.

All in all though he is a talented writer(better than Eric ,Dave,Sando,and especially Davish) who I think will explode on his new job.

Nothing but the best wishes to you my friend.

47. SandpointHawk says:

Pope411 : In 2007 Frank Hughes ran this blog. His specialty was basketball and he moved on to Sports Illustrated and last I checked…

48. FleaFlicker says:

I’m not understanding the references to Todd leaving the blog. Can somebody provide some background? I know that the TNT has been part of the unofficial farm system for ESPN (Clayton, then Sando, then Williams) for a while. But dang, I figured we’d have Todd here at least a year.

If true, tip of the hat to Mr. Dybas. Journalism is a tough business that has been turned upside down in the last decade. Assuming this is an upward career move for him, glad on his behalf. He’s done a good job of keeping the blog fun and fresh while putting up with our BS and collectively-instigated acrimony from time to time.

49. SandpointHawk says:

Flea up on the right hand side of the blog you will find Todd’s Twitter link. He announced it there…

50. Like others here I initially wondered about the design of the ring and thought there was an absence of enough blue in the ring but it has grown on me and it really is nice. I won’t be buying the fan copy version anytime but liked the look of it.

Nice reporting here especially the news that John Nordstrom will get a ring. This team at the top end is now really doing things right and better than it has ever been done before. The history of this team is significant and important to the team’s future and that future is looking pretty darn bright.

Nice ring, good story.