Schedule breakdown: Green Bay Packers

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 7, 2014 at 2:31 am with 32 Comments »
July 7, 2014 10:41 am
Aaron Rodgers is one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. / AP photo
Aaron Rodgers is one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. / AP photo

Heading into camp, we’ll take a quick look through the opponents on the 2014 schedule.

First up: The Green Bay Packers.

When: Week 1, Sept. 4, 5:30 p.m. at CenturyLink Field. NFL season opener on Thursday Night Football.

Last season: 8-7-1; season ended with 23-20 home loss to the San Francisco 49ers in a wild-card game.

What went right: Despite Aaron Rodgers playing only nine games because of a broken collarbone, the Packers’ offense was a force. Green Bay finished sixth in passing yards and seventh in rushing yards. RB Eddie Lacy powered his way to 1,178 yards (just 79 fewer yards than Marshawn Lynch despite 17 fewer carries, earning him Offensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowl spot) and James Starks ran for another 493 (5.5 per carry). Lacy’s yardage was the most by a Green Bay running back since Ryan Grant’s 1,253 in 2009. He also broke John Brockington’s franchise rookie rushing record that had stood for 42 years.

What did not: The defense was woeful. The Packers were 25th in yards allowed, just a touch ahead of two of the worst teams in the league last year, Jacksonville and Atlanta. Also, Green Bay was 24th in points allowed. That’s why it took free safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix with the 21st overall pick. Doug Farrar has a nice overview of the Packers’ defense, and what Clinton-Dix may mean to it, over at SI.com. The linebackers remain suspect, however. Inside linebacker Brad Jones was a -4.1 last season, according to the player ratings at Profootbalfocus.com. Fellow linebacker A.J. Hawk was ranked by PFF in the bottom five in the league against the run among inside linebackers (incidentally, Bruce Irvin was last among outside linebackers).

2014 Super Bowl odds: 12:1

Key offseason addition: DE Julius Peppers. The 34-year-old Peppers was given a $7.5 million signing bonus to leave Chicago and join Green Bay. Peppers had seven sacks last season, tied for his fewest in a year when he played 16 games. Peppers’ signed a three-year, $26 million contract with just $7.5 million guaranteed. He goes from a $3.5 million cap hit in 2014, to a $12 million cap hit next season. Peppers joins a Green Bay defense that allowed a lot of points, but was tied for eighth in sacks (with the Seahawks) last season.

Key offseason loss: WR James Jones. Jones had a career-high 817 receiving yards last season a year after catching 14 touchdowns. He signed a three-year, $10 million deal with the Oakland Raiders. Green Bay drafted Davante Adams out of Fresno State to fill the gap.

Last regular-season meeting: How could anyone forget? Monday, Sept. 24, 2012. The Seahawks won, 14-12, on Golden Tate’s Hail Mary “catch.”

This time around the Packers won’t be so lucky to catch the Seahawks with a rookie QB playing.

I see Seattle moving the ball much easier this time around.

Not surprised to see Irvin near the bottom & Smith near the top & it was reflected (by their snap counts) towards the end of last season.

I hope Irvin can get it together or he may be the odd man out soon.

2. pabuwal says:

That was a bad call but I find it humorous Packers fans whine that game cost them a bye because –

1. This franchise has had every bad call go their way the past 5 years.

2. They got worked over by Christian Ponder in the final game of the year which cost them the bye.

3. TomlPDX says:

Hopefully Pete figures out how best to use Bruce this year.

4. yankinta says:

Wow, is it prediction time already?? okay, I say it will be a semi blowout. Let’s say 31-10 Seahawks…. :)

5. montanamike2 says:

I think we match up with GB better this year, for sure it’s a good game to start the season with. Their “D” is improved a bit, but their receiving core has regressed and if we contain Lacy, it should be more one dimensional.

6. seahawksteven777 says:

I’m a little nervous about this Packers game but I think their offense line is still a weakness. (someone correct me if I’m wrong.) They aren’t one dimensional anymore which makes their offense tougher to deal with, so it’s going to be important to take away Eddie Lacy.

I sure hope our d-line is up to the task of stopping Lacy. There were times last year were we got gashed. Hopefully that’s behind us.

I think we’ll win this game but it’ll be a close game. Sorry Yankita, don’t see this being a semi blow out but I’ll be happy if i’m wrong.

7. blueshq says:

“Last time they met: How could anyone forget? Monday, Sept. 24, 2012.”

Didn’t we beat them last year?

8. Southendzone says:

Blues, I think we played them preseason last year. Not regular season.

9. chuck_easton says:

And the ‘bad call’ did nothing to improve Seattle’s playoff position.

If the call had gone against Seattle they still would have entered the playoffs as the 5th seed.

10. Todd Dybas says:

Blues,

South is right. I updated to specify regular season.

Thanks.

— Todd

11. Soggybuc says:

Not counting home field advantage the two factors that weigh this towards our Hawks are.
    1.The normal early season offense/defense imbalance prevalent all over the league means we get a formidable Packers engine that will still be warming up to racing speed vs a pedestrian defense that will be solid if a bit rusty.
    2. Any improvement the Pack makes on D will be several weeks in the making allowing the Hawks to score easily using just the conservative slow and steady Bevell specialty that drives us fans bonkers.

10-10 at half, 27-20 hawks.

12. yankinta says:

MoSeahawk12, that’s a nice article,, FINALLY,, :) But they still missed the point when it comes to playing against Tough Defenses. RW has BY FAR faced the Toughest Defenses in his first 2 Seasons.

When people start considering the combination that he had Worst O-Line and had below average WR group and faced the NFL’s Toughest Schedule, then they’ll get to my level of thinking RW is No.1 Ranked QB in the League today, Aaron Rogers is close second or 1B. :)

13. Ray_Maines says:

Green Bay benefited by a couple of questionable calls and a very generous spot earlier in the 4th Qtr. to score a TD and go ahead. Then GT came down with both hands on the ball, both feet on the ground, tie goes to the offense, game over, Seattle wins. The review official was a regular, fully qualified official. Game over twice, Seattle still wins.

Here is a link to an older article that’s been posted before but still a good read about how GB (and Seattle) builds their roster.

14. DreadHawks says:

I think it will be another big win at Century Link for the Hawks. Thus the reason for not having more National TV home games. The Hawks will hit the ground running this year and the defensive rotation will produce better results than last year up front i.e. more sacks. Rogers will wake up sore on Friday!

15. Ewalters7354 says:

I predict a blowout as well Yank.No Finley,No Jennings or James Jones.

They are gonna try and pound the ball with Lacey,and I believe he’ll get stuffed all game long.Leaving A Rod to drop back against Cliff Avril and Mike Bennett.He’ll make plays because he’s A Rod but I don’t think it’ll be enough.

Meanwhile RW is gonna have Richardson flying past their DBs,while Percy and Doug are gonna be open underneath a lot in the game.Not to mention Cmike busting on the scene blowing past that slow front 7.

Just sayin..34-17

16. yankinta says:

Ewalters7354,, tell that to seahawksteven777. I guess he doesn’t know that I’m 95% right…. :)

17. jawpeace says:

Thanks Todd for not referring to it as the “Fail Mary.” I will excuse your “” around catch.
    I saw simultaneous catch. Tate actually completed the protocols for a catch first- getting his two feet down first, with the ball secured in one arm. Jennings had two hands first but no feet down. By the time he completes the catch getting his two feet down Tate already had possession of it as well. And for the argument that Tate barely stuck his arm in there. Rubbish if that were true Jennings would have had zero problems ripping away the ball.
    Final analysis 100% simultaneous catch tie goes to offense = TD.
    And 100% pass interference on number 81. To me that is where we caught a break. Not the catch ruling.

18. MoSeahawk12 says:

If you do say so yourself, time and time again.

19. jawpeace says:

Yank you are right about the article missing the Defensive strength angle.
    And to think this year all three NFC West foes are predicted to be top ten Defenses. And RW-Hawks has to face each of them twice. I guarantee if any of the elite QB’s had to face each NFC West team twice his final stats would be lowered.

As someone who plays Fantasy football. I am very hesitant on taking NFC West players because of the awesomeness of the Defenses in that division.

20. yankinta says:

jawpeace,, yup yup. Most national and some local media, haven’t watched enough Seahawks games or they just aren’t smart enough to see what you and I see. :)

It’s almost as if they’re still brainwashed, thinking that Andrew Luck is ahead of RW. smh..

21. seahawksteven777 says:

Yank: Nope, I just don’t think every game is going to be a blow out. I prefer to be a bit more realistic than you. The Packers are a pretty good team and I would be very surprised if this wasn’t a close game.

22. yankinta says:

seahawksteven777,, lol I would say being 95% right is a lot more realistic than you. :)

plus, I don’t think/predict every game will be a blowout.

23. seahawksteven777 says:

Yeah, because assuming a certain percentage of the things you say are correct is realistic…

24. yankinta says:

lol, okay that’s a good point. :)

25. seahawksteven777 says:

It’s clear you don’t understand sarcasm. I’m not surprised.

26. Southendzone says:

It will be cool to see Julius Peppers vs the Hawks.

That’s one of the things I’m interested in following for 2014. Which of the 3 big name FA pass rushers will have the best season between Peppers, Ware, and Allen.

I’m feeling it will be

1) Ware: Good team, playing with lead, Denver’s Home Field.
    2) Peppers: If Matthews stays healthy, could be a good combo
    3) Allen: I don’t think CHI is overall a good team which will impact his results. Nothing against him.

One worry though is I think Ware has most risk of a very poor season due to injury. I don’t know if we are certain he will be 100%.

27. doubledink says:

South,
    Week 3 Denver comes to Seattle, unless you are talking preseason but they both won’t play long enough for much stats to develop.

28. Southendzone says:

Oh I mean the season as a whole. Since there was a perceived need to add a pass rusher here in Seattle, and those were the big 3, I just want to see if we look back in December and say “Whoa we sure missed out on signing Allen”, or if we say “Geez, those 3 guys didn’t have much left in the tank, good move to not pick one up”

29. AzulVerde says:

A very good piece on building a championship team. Comparing the 90’s Cowboys to the current Seahawks…. worth checking out! The Path to the Top

My2CentsWorth

30. montanamike2 says:

Good read.

31. Ewalters7354 says:

The Packers were a good team,but they lost some damn good players on offense and haven’t really upgraded their defense aside from the old Julius Peppers who will be facing Okung who has dominated him the last two go rounds.I just don’t think they are as good as in recent years.

Just sayin…