Seahawks Insider has faint praise for Russell Wilson

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 2, 2014 at 1:43 am with 88 Comments »
July 2, 2014 1:44 am
Where Russell Wilson ranks among other quarterbacks remains a debated topic. / AP photo

Generally, we try to avoid hypothetical lists around here. But, comments around Russell Wilson’s position on the NFL Network’s top 100 countdown caught our attention.

The NFL Network is filling airtime by counting down the top 100 players in the league, as voted on by players. Wilson is one of five quarterbacks who will be part of the yet-to-be revealed top 20 players. Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Marshawn Lynch will also be in that final top 20 overall.

The quarterbacks already on the list are Cam Newton (24), Andrew Luck (30), Ben Roethlisberger (31), Philip Rivers (34), Joe Flacco (58), Nick Foles (70), Tony Romo (71), Colin Kaepernick (81) and Matthew Stafford (100).

That leaves Wilson, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees as quarterbacks in the top 20.

Kam Chancellor is the only Seahawk on the list so far. He came in at 65, a number he was not pleased with.

Back to Wilson. had its experts assess Wilson’s status among other quarterbacks. They were underwhelmed, notably former Washington Redskins general manager and senior vice president of football operations for the Houston Texans, Charley Casserly. Here’s what Casserly had to say about Wilson being in the top five:

I do not consider Russell Wilson a Top-10 quarterback, let alone one who belongs in the top five. The Seahawks win because they have one of the NFL’s best defenses and an outstanding running back in Marshawn Lynch. Wilson — who I think is a good, but not elite, passer — operates in an offense that takes a lot of pressure off him, meaning the Seahawks don’t have to rely upon his arm to win games.

When evaluating players you always ask yourself how would that player perform with another team that is better than his. For example, if you put Andrew Luck in Seattle would his numbers improve? I don’t have any doubt they would. In no particular order, I would rank these AFC signal-callers ahead of Wilson: Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Tom Brady and, possibly, Joe Flacco. And the NFC quarterbacks I would rank ahead of him: Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning (despite his poor 2013 season), Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo and Nick Foles.

Among others, here’s who Adam Schein would take over Wilson:

I’d take Colin Kaepernick and his explosiveness, the rejuvenated Philip Rivers, and the underappreciated Tony Romo over Wilson.

A couple others add that they don’t think Wilson is a proverbial “elite” quarterback — at least, not yet.

As always, there are dozens of variables in quarterback assessment. A key one for Wilson, as we have noted here ad nauseam, was Seattle’s offensive line being its weakest overall unit last season, one that Wilson and Lynch often made look better than it was. That’s a big issue when looking at Wilson’s 2013, which is apparently lost on this group.

I’d also counter one point in Casserly’s logic, where he says this:

“…operates in an offense that takes a lot of pressure off him, meaning the Seahawks don’t have to rely upon his arm to win games.”

Yes, the Seahawks are run-first. Yes, the offense is not built solely around Wilson like Denver’s is around Manning. But, there is high value and high pressure in being an efficient player when your opportunities come (similar to receivers, like Doug Baldwin).

Just because Wilson isn’t asked to throw 45 times a game, doesn’t mean a less efficient version of him couldn’t lose games for the Seahawks. His mobility and efficiency (third in YPC, third in touchdown percentage, seventh in QB rating) had to, at times, carry the Seahawks. Particularly his mobility, something many of the folks listed above him do not possess.

If you see eight in the box every down with a statue quarterback, Seattle has a problem and likely loses three other regular-season games last year (at Carolina, at Arizona and vs. Tennessee). Then, you’re talking about 10-6.

As Casserly argues, if you want to swap players out, what does he think Eli Manning, Ryan, Stafford, Romo and Foles would have looked like behind that Seattle line and in the NFC West?

Does Wilson have things to improve on? Of course. That can start with third down and overall completion percentage.

Does it seem some of these folks miss key points? Well, yes.

Wilson may not be one of the five best quarterbacks in the league. Insinuating he’s a mid-pack player at his position, however, is off-base.

Players ranked 20-11 will be revealed today at 6 p.m.

1. PDXHawkFan says:

Bullshark. #GoHawks

2. Macabrevity says:

Good points Todd. I don’t think these guys really understand what’s happening on the West coast out here. Put Andrew Luck in the NFC West and his number go up? Give me a break! I’ll stand by Kam’s comment that the whole non-scientific opinion poll is little more than a popularity contest and the talking heads only real job is to keep ratings up, which can often be done by uttering absurdities with regularity. There are very few expert talent evaluators sitting in front of the camera. If Mayock has an opinion I tend to listen, though not always agree, but Casserly is just filler.

Casserole is usually spot on with his analysis.

I think he is just hanging on (still) to that old School way of thinking about short QBs & QBS that can run.

Some day he will wake up.

And the thing about our running game being one of the best in the NFL is that it wouldn’t be but average without Wilson’s 500 yards rushing each year.

I think #5 is a fair place to put Wilson right now if folks take the time to look at everything Wilson brings to the table.

Whether Wilson is elite or not is irrelevant, to me. He “led” the Seahawks to a Super Bowl win and that’s the only measure I care about under center. Casserly’s argument is basically that Wilson is a system QB, which is code for one dimensional. I disagree with that. We’ve seen him win games with his arm (NE 2012) and his legs (Houston 2013) as examples. Seattle has done a masterful job of protecting his development. Elite? I couldn’t care less. (Just my opinion.)

5. Newborough says:

The talking heads seem to be confusing the definition of ‘elite’ with that of ‘gunslinger’, judging by their comments.

Still, their own success is based on their ability to generate ratings, so I guess that, by their own criteria, they would rank themselves as ‘elite, top 5 analysts’.

Just over three weeks left to training camp, then we can put these meaningless lists, and analysis of them, in the trash can, where they belong.

6. joeradio says:

There isn’t a QB in the league I’d rather have than Wilson. If I was starting a franchise and had five QBs at this point in their career to choose from (in no particular order), I’d pick:

There are obviously other QBs still performing at a high level, but give me any one of the five above mentioned and I think you’d go into every season believing you have a chance to win a championship.

7. There is no I00 in team.

8. montanamike2 says:

Put any other QB behind that O-line and see if they win the SB. As far as being a system QB, he’s a system QB for 3-4 systems at present. Count me in for not trading Wilson for anybody out there. Have any of the analyst seen the 50 yard bombs he does throw? Top 100 is a joke!

9. Skavage says:

Once again we have people that are not local making comments and rankings based on limited information, and I suspect, without doing any real film study. Anyone of us could rank any of the QB’s based simply on what we’ve seen on TV to date. And we’d likely be wrong also.

I would take Wilson over any other QB right now. Why? Because he is young, talented, and dedicated to his craft. The only other QB that is close is Luck. The rest are either not as good, not as young, or not as dedicated.

10. TomlPDX says:

This should add additional fuel to Wilson’s fire to be the best. I doubt he cares but he hears it and with this team, the bigger the chip, the better the player. Go Hawks!

11. Southendzone says:

Last year, RW was the perfect QB for the Hawks. I would argue that if you take any other NFL QB and drop him as the Seahawks starter on day 1 of training camp, our team doesn’t win the Superbowl.

I’m not saying RW is the best, but that year, on that team, he was exactly what we needed. It’s partly due to his abilities noted above by Todd in regards to working around the strengths & weaknesses of our O-Line, but partly due to all the intangibles. Stuff like his work ethic, his “why not us” mantra, his experience from last year in ATL, the off season workouts he scheduled with the receivers.

All that stuff meshed perfectly with Pete’s style, the message carried from the top down and everyone or most everyone bought in.

12. confucious says:

Good article Todd. Enjoyed the read. These top “whatever” lists are just conversation pieces. In football if you have one elite player and ten players that suck. The elite player probably isn’t spending much time on a top ten list. Richard Sherman wouldn’t be as good without ET and Kam and RW wouldn’t be as good without Marshawn. It would be hard to nail down a top anything in an eleven man team sport.

13. Hammajamma says:

If I were really clever I’d make a list of all the meaningless lists that occupy the NFL dead space leading up to training camps. I have, however, begun to rank my children, in terms of elite, middle of the pack, etc.

14. Who is, or isn’t, elite makes for interesting conversation. But who cares how Tony Romo would fare playing for the Seahawks? Or Russell Wilson would fare playing for the Giants? Its interesting conversation, but not meaningful in anyway.

Go hawks!

15. banosser says:

We all know the stats.. most Ws in first 2 seasons.. most TD passes… QBR over 100 both seasons.. more TD passes than Brady or Luck last yr.. highest rated passer while out of the pocket.. etc… Super Bowl Winner

Casserley is old school and refuses to take his blinders off…

16. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

Yank is going to go up in flames.

useless talk about how a QB would do with another team. they are not and most likely never will be with that team.

and i am sorry Romo get’s killed behind this line along with most of the list

17. yankinta says:

LOL, these Idiots… smh. It’s obvious they haven’t watched a lot of Seahawks games lately.

RW will be a legit MVP candidate this year. I suspect he may even win it…. RW is elite and these fools are in for a rude awakening from their denial…

18. yankinta says:

Todd, is there anyway to make these Old Fools read this article? Maybe they could educate themselves and not sound so dumb… smh

19. montanamike2 says:

Hammajamma i like the idea of ranking your kids, cracks me up.

20. montanamike2 says:

These guys are still choked about RW being to short to make it in the NFL. I have an aunt that i don’t talk to because she’s too stubborn to admit she was wrong even when she knows it. Pretty much everyone in the family doesn’t like her.

21. jboard1 says:

While we can all agree these guys are morons making these comments, i for one am stoked that the media is once again dogging our team. Even though we will be the hunted this year, with comments like these, add those chips onto the shoulders again and get ready to watch this team destroy people. Bring it on

22. montanamike2 says:

Fuel on the fire.

23. TallyHawk says:

Elite or not it doesn’t matter. It’s all about the ring, and hopefully rings, boss! I’ll take him over everybody else!

24. DFloydd says:

I’m sorry but I believe if you took any of these so called “elite” QBs and put them in Seattle there is no way they succeed as well as Wilson has therefore they are not elite. Elite would mean they are so look good at the QB position they should make any team they are dropped into better. And furthermore, you take Wilson and plug him into any team or any system in the NFL and he will automatically make that team better due to his smarts, determination, athleticism and amazing ability to keep plays alive. That to me is elite. Anyone think Brady or Manning the golden boys would be able to throw an accurate pass for a first down while being sacked and their knee .5 inches off the ground? I don’t thinks so…..Wilson is absolutely elite and the fact that so many people underestimated him will not now admit their mistake due to pride or the fact that they are just plain idiots. All these analysts almost sound like they are going out of their way to to knock on Wilson and say he isn’t all that great and it’s the team just so they can say they were right all along? Really? Like I said before, drop Wilson into any team and he will succeed no matter what. We’ve all seen what the kid can do….I bet there isn’t a coach out there that doesn’t wish they had a QB like Russell Wilson. So to all these hack experts I say SUCK IT DUMMIES!!! you were wrong but you’ll never admit it…meh :) smh

25. montanamike2 says:

Many people lost their jobs for not taking Wilson in the draft. How is that possible for a game manager?

26. chrisj122 says:

One thing I don’t think was accounted for in the list of top QB’s is the “clutch” factor.

RW is so clutch!
    Our offense can struggle for 3quarters and 10min, leaving the team down by two scores with less than 5min left.
    And I still have faith we will pull it out, actually it’s more than faith, I have come to expect it.

I wouldn’t take any other QB in a must score situation over RW.
    The dude is just “clutch”!

27. chrisj122 says:

I saw Cliff Avril is named in the top 20 defensive ends.

28. wazzulander says:

Well, its encouraging that none of those blowhards had a single legitimate reason for not putting Wilson in the top 5. Not a single stat used to support an argument and no real logic beyond that he had a good defense and run game, which is apparently as deep as their analysis went. The fact that all 5 of these idiots point to Ben Roethlisberger as a better QB than RW speaks to their complete ineptness.

And I would love to know which stats Casserly thinks would improve for Luck if he moved behind a worse o-line, got fewer attempts, and played against better defenses.

29. yankinta says:

wazzulander,, exactly,, these fools are falling behind the time. Kind of sad and at the same time, fun for me to see. lol :)

As for Top 100 list on NFL, if it is truly voted by players,, then I suspect that RW will be in the Top 10. Especially after hearing that “The NFL Network has revealed that three Seahawks will be included in 20-11 countdown.

It has further revealed that among the 10 players on the list, three played at Wisconsin.”

Here’s my Top QB ranking: who I’d take today for 2014 season only.

1A. Aaron Rodgers
    1B. Russell Wilson
    3. Peyton Manning
    4. Tom Brady
    5. Phillip Rivers

30. jawpeace says:

Well I am almost certain in a parallel universe that if Peyton Manning a few years back would have got on that plane and signed with the Hawks instead of Denver, that Russel Wilson would still be the starter on the Hawks. Out-landish? Nope. In this universe Manning gets creamed behind our porous line and re-injures his neck, forcing his retirement. And the young guy Wilson on the bench who was supposed to develop behind Manning for a few years is the Hawks starter and Super Bowl Champ. The difference is that Manning gets a Hawk Super Bowl ring by being a coach and mentor to Wilson.

31. yankinta says:

lol,, reading this Mike Sando article cracks me up.

One head coach actually said he’d rather have Sam Bradford than Wilson purely from a talent standpoint…. LOL.. :)

Obviously these Head Coaches and GM’s do not belong in the NFL.

But we thank God that they in the NFL because that makes JS/PC jobs much easier and building Dynasty not Impossible. Imagine the NFL full of Great Talent Evaluators like JS/PC,, we’d never get Wilson in the 3rd round nor Willson in the 5th round, etc,..

32. LarryLee says:

I’m certainly no NFL expert BUT I’ve watched every NFL game RW has played. He has moved the offense down the field in the two minute drill repeatedly. Whenever RW is at QB I feel we have a chance to score. He makes things happen. I think if you watch him enough you become a fan. If you just read his results you won’t be as impressed. Just my opinion.

33. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Comments and ‘analysis’ like Casserley’s mostly just amuses me.

His analysis in a nutshell is let’s play hypothetical games (what if Seattle’s defense and running game wasn’t what it was) and then project his expert opinion about what would be the outcome about a specific player based upon that hypothetical. It’s a ridiculous and embarrassing way for an ‘expert’ to make any kind of argument about anyone.

Those trying to counter his argument are doing kinda the same thing though. I may personally believe that Brady and Manning absolutely could not have done as well as what RW accomplished last season behind our pourous O line. But who really knows? It’s also quite possible that the plays and protections would have been called completely differently with either of those two as our QB.

What we do know about Wilson is that his play from just about EVERY possible measure within our system is exemplary. Especially in terms of what he produces per attempt. And in executing our particular system.

And we have seen him make improbable play after improbable play that we know that FEW other QB’s could ever hope to make when a play breaks down or we need something to happen, whether with his arm or on the run. He can also make every NFL throw and has a truly elite arm when throwing down the field or deep, something that Brady and Manning simply do not have any longer.

I don’t really care what any of the analysts say. RW would be my first choice for our team no matter who else might be available. And after that it would be Aaron Rodgers, Luck or Brees with the expectation that PC would modify and adjust the offense to suit each of those player’s strengths and weaknesses.

And for our offense in particular Manning and Brady, as much as they truly are ‘elite’ QB’s in a general sense, are not what I would pick as elite QB options for us.

34. Yankinta I am fine with saying for once that your assessment of RW is on the money and you have been right all along about the so-called experts being unable to admit they are incorrect and never will admit fault. How can someone say Kaepernick is elite when is game is subparagraph to Wilson’s? Makes no sense. I guess because he is taller and plays for one of the NFLs darling teams of nostalgia? Geez. But just to keep you in check and at your self described 95% accurate rating, I still don’t believe you called Russell Wilson the starter before anyone else. :)

BarryMore I think you have it hit the nail on the head. If you only watch a few highlights of Hawks games and look at stats and don’t watch the entire 60 mins of RW playing QB then these analysts will never get it…..I truly believe in a media mega bias against Seattle Seahawks…and it is only more evident with their success and notoriety…it is being reported on because this team has made it to where they cannot and will not be ignored but if the media could they would.

Bradford over Wilson? SHaking my G*ddamn Head….sheesh….

35. *His not is and subpar not subparagraph….Damn I hate you auto correct….

Side note: Best auto correct moment I’ve had was when I tried to jokingly text F*** you!!!! to my bass player and hit send without reading. The text he received just said CUCUMBERS!!! So if you want a non offensive way to tell someone off and confuse them all in one just tell them Cucumbers you! Ahhh, technology and the off-season slow times….

36. Damn it! One more. BarryMore should be LarryLee. I give up…..

37. SeventiesHawksFan says:

And since we’re playing hypothetical games with this brand go ‘analysis’ one could just as easily argue that one Andrew Luck has been VERY poorly served by an offense like the Colt’s rather than if he had been under the stewardship and development process of a coach like Pete Carroll.

Yes, his overall gross yards and stats would be lower, but I’d venture that if Luck was our QB he’d now be in a similar TD category and wins and Super Bowl championships for the first two years of play as Wilson. And with FAR fewer turnovers and INT’s.

Instead Luck has been asked to do things he shouldn’t have been asked to do and he has a very bad habit of making too many poor choices and causing turnovers, which is the number one correlation with LOSSES.

For that very reason, in any critical playoff or divisional game type situation, I’d choose RW over Luck any day and without hesitation. RW isn’t going to lose the damn game for you. But there’s a very good chance that Luck will. And all the athletic ability in the world does not matter more than than. Especially at the QB position.

38. I still find it freaking amazing that Peyton refused to even speak with JSPC, and then we get the chance to play him in the SB and crush his soul. Absolutely amazing

39. LarryLee says:

What’s the old adage, “seeing is believing”. It’s true of RW and Percy Harvin is another. You can read about his runs and speed etc. But when you see him make those runs and that speed – it makes your eyes pop. Thanking my lucky stars that PCJS get it!

40. LarryLee says:

Late this summer, coming to stadiums near you! The Seattle Seahawks sequel “Legion Of Zoom”.

41. Ray_Maines says:

LL makes a good point. I don’t get to go to very many games, but I was at the Minn. game last year and RW, PH, and Earl Thomas are all WAY more impressive in person than on TV. I suppose that’s true for most superstars though.

If any of the Elite QB’s got dropped into the Seattle offense, they too would be running Pete Carroll’s game plan and all of a sudden they wouldn’t elite either.

42. I think the top 6 “new school” QB’s in order are; Wilson, Luck, Kapernick, RG3, Newton, Fowls. I think the top “old school” QB’s in order are Brady, Payton, Rogers, Bres, Rothesburger, Eli. I’m not sure I’d rank Wilson ahead of the top 4 old school QB’s but heir time is commin fast.

43. Southendzone says:

70s Hawk Fan:

You don’t show up very often, but last season you did around the time of the N.O playoff game. YOu said something like “After the season, I’m gonna come back here and tell you all a story about something that I saw happen with some players at a club or something”

We are still waiting for that story!

44. MoSeahawk12 says:

Adam Schein is a complete buffoon and is always off the mark with his comments.

I was listening to NFL on Sirius radio a few years back when we drafted Wilson and he just went crazy on how bad a pick it was and how the Seahawks would remain mediocre and such. Months later when Wilson was doing well his rookie year, Schein started kissing Pete and John’s asses about starting a third round pick and being successful. He of course would take Romo over Wilson because Romo has won one actual playoff game his entire twelve year career. Wilson is 4-1 with that little Superbowl trophy to show for it.
    Schein sucks.

45. freedom_X says:

Adam Schein is similar to Pete Prisco in that way. Both have always denigrated Seattle (Schein always pumps up the Giants, especially back when Holmgren’s Seahawks were pummeling New York with the crowd noise at home) and Prisco has a man-crush for the Arizona Cardinals.

They can’t argue with success (Lombardi Trophy) but went back to their potshots ASAP.

46. What would Andrew Luck look like if he couldn’t throw his way out of his own inconsistency?

Luck gets the opportunity to throw the ball 35 to 40 times a game to dig the team out of the hole he put them in. Luck doesn’t have to worry about being efficient with a limited number of attempts and frequent 3rd and 7 plays due to a stalled running game like Wilson.

47. yankinta says:

pabuwal,, you ask a good question. My answer is the Andrew Luck Excuse Makers will still say that it’s not his fault. And that he is still the best QB to come into the NFL in the past 20 years. :)

48. CDHawkFan says:

Why in the world would you want P Manning? You saw the big game didn’t you, do you really want that guy to lose another big game for your team?

49. MoSeahawk12 says:

Luck has to throw the ball that much as Indy doesn’t have close to a decent running game. Nor do they have our D. Yes he throws too many INTs, but the more you throw, the more chance for picks. I believe the only QBs that could survive our line woes from last season would be Rodgers, Luck and Kap. The other QBs, the Mannings, Brady would be injured and out. Wilson does so much more than these so called NFL talking heads mention. I’d take Wilson, Rogers and Luck over Manning any day.

50. SeventiesHawksFan says:

Just before the NFC championship game, two of our starting players were standing outside minding their own business among a larger group of people, when someone got out a car and wanted to basically jump one of them. A man who is maybe all of 5′ 6″ put his body between the attacker and player just long enough to keep our player from being able to respond with appropriate self defense, which most certainly would have been completely justifiable. And it was also just long enough for everyone else to close around whoever the assailant was and put a stop to the whole thing. The guy ran back to the car that had pulled up and the car drove away.

But who knows how that all turns out if the player being assaulted gets into a fight and just before the SF game? Does someone get hurt or worse? Do the police show up and now it’s in the news and a major media story and distraction?

And btw, the players did NOTHING at all to cause this nor were they even in a place they shouldn’t have been at a poorly chosen time. There were several players and personalities involved with the team all present that evening and it was a dignified event.

What I took away from it though: it felt like there was a guardian angel just watching out for those guys. You could see and hear in the way they carried themselves and just spoke to one another that they knew and believed they’d win too. After that I had no doubts whatsoever that they were going to take it all. No one was going to win a game against that group.

51. Ewalters7354 says:

Russell Wilson is far from elite,but I’m happy with him as the Hawks QB.

52. djbargelt says:

If RW even bothers to read the NFL Networks “talking heads ” Top 100 and there meaningless dribble on the elite QB rankings, he need only ask this one question:

” Do YOU have a Super Bowl ring bro? “

53. Southendzone says:

Thanks, that is a great story. Totally agree about the guardian angel take, seemed like last year everything was meant to be.

So cool that some random 5’6 guy jumped in there and halted any escalation.

One theme you hear from the players is how confident they were all season and your story backs that up.

For anyone that may have missed this, Walter Thurmond posted a video of his Superbowl week story. IT’s pretty good, especially starting around the 5:30 mark when he talks about his feelings right before the game.

54. Ewalters7354 says:

I think being realistic,we know RW is not elite.If he were,a lot of games would be over with early with this defense.

He still routinely rolls to his right when he can see,misses wide open targets,and fails to run for yardage that is at his access on a consistent basis.He also is a reason this team gave up so many sacks.Wanting to run around,run around,and pass.Sometimes it’s good,but against disciplined defenses,it doesn’t always work.

I’m happy with Wilson being QB of the Hawks,but if we think he’s elite,to me it’s crazy.Rings don’t mean a guy is top tier.

Just sayin…

55. oldtallguy says:

I think Wilson did a good job at running the offense the past two seasons and was an absolute steal in the draft. I’m and old school football guy where defense wins or loses games. A strong defense and a great running game with few turnovers and yardage losses will win many games. Now is I’m Wilson, I’m going yo want to be paid the going rate (no complaints). 20-24 million a year. I don’t believe that my philosophy nor PCs can afford 15 percent of my cap on a QB. For 24 million I could upgrade my line to one of the best, keep my defense strong and have 3 to 4 million for a smart QB that doesn’t make mistakes. Could it be Pryor, maybe, Jackson or Daniels, probably not. Someone else, sure. I think John and Pete will be fair, but fair is a word with different meanings, depending on which side you’re on.

Good thing I don’t drink anymore Ewalters or I would take the bait.

57. Ewalters7354 says:

Bait? No bait at all bro.Just saying as of right now he’s not elite.He’s well on his way though.

58. There’s a reason Casserly no longer has a job in a front office. His ability to evaluate talent and put together a (not so much) winner got him fired in Houston, no? He’s a talking head now, no more, no less.

Saying Russell is a system QB is hysterical… unless you qualify that and saying the “system” is the system they installed specifically to take advantage of his skill set. How many read options and deep throws did TJack execute? Zero to not many, because that stuff wasn’t in the playbook until they uncorked Wilson.

Remember, the ‘in the know’ folks thought Montana was marginally talented and a ‘system’ QB…. right up until they thought he was the best of all time.

59. MFers are still talking about Romo being a top QB, wow.

If you mean he hasn’t reached his full potential yet we are in agreement.

61. Ewalters7354 says:

Exactly what I mean

62. You know what 12 Nation, we really don’t need to say anything.

To all the haters, kiss the ring, baby!

And keep adding fuel to the fire, keep yapping about your “elite” nonsense.
    You’ll be eating those words soon enough, partaking of that crow until you choke on those diamonds, sapphires, and emeralds on those multiple Tiffany championship rings.

63. Meant for the “haters” on NFL network and the idiotic buffoons and talking heads that may have played or had a job in the NFL once, but don’t do their research, don’t do their film study or due diligence, and sound like the worst pathetic hacks on earth. Charlie Casserley is one. Jamie Dukes is another. Cris Carter is one of the worst.

64. Aaron Rodgers at #11? Really? Right here right now, he is the best QB in the NFL. The best player at the most important position is #11?
    Gimme a friggin’ break, this list is a joke. I’m with Kam, although you can’t take me off the list because I was never on it.

65. bsinnitt says:

Ccvi – I agree, Rogers is the best QB in my opinion.

With regard to ranking players, including Wilson, it’s a bit silly because of the fact that football is the ultimate team sport.

The position in question being QB, no two QBs being ranked have the same teammates and coaching scheme around them obviously so to say you can accurately rank them is fallacy.

Wilson fits our scheme fantastically. Could someone else play our QB position better? Possibly, but when you have one playing as well as Wilson, why should we care? He’s doing amazingly well for such a young player. Let’s sit back and enjoy the ride.

As I said, in my opinion, Rogers is the best QB, but I’m definitely looking forward to stomping on the Packers come the opener because we have the superior team. Best defense in team history. They young, but they hungry…. Look out Rodgers!

66. akmac61 says:

The W/L figures tell the story. The defense is great but with no O, the team doesn’t win. RW’s stats are better than most QB’s rated higher. He may not be “Elite” yet but he is darned good. This year, if the WR’s stay healthy, RW’s stats could go through the roof.

A minor aside, does anyone else hate the new SI format?

67. Macabrevity says:

Yank – nice analysis on RW and if he can be labeled a game manager.

68. Macabrevity says:

Georgia – I wish I could recall specific instances but I can’t ever recall listening to Casserly and thinking he was spot on. He sure sounds confident, but he seems to be more opinionated than informed, at least from my point of view.

69. Macabrevity says:

Stealing a little bit from Brock and Danny… but if you asked Casserly who threw more TD passes last season, Brady or RW, he might suspect a trick question but I’m sure he’s absolutely unaware that RW threw more.

70. chuck_easton says:

RW is 20 in the NFLN top 100 and the 6th highest QB.

Lynch is the highest ranked Seahawk so far at 14.

ET came in at 17.

Only Sherman left to be named.

So Seattle will have one player in the top 10.

71. chuck_easton says:

RW is the 5th highest ranked QB by the players.

Rodgers at 11 with Brees, Manning, and Brady all still to be named in the top 10.

Also, Lynch came in at the 4th highest ranked RB.

72. SandpointHawk says:

But the number one ranked team is the Seattle Seahawks…

73. HawkFromDay1 says:

I liked Gerald McCoy’s line: “First off, he’s like 5-2..”

For me, Russell is a great QB. Brees, Manning and Brady MUST have great games for their teams to win – the whole thing runs through them. RW is not that guy – could he be one day? Maybe, but I sure hope not.

RW taking over and dominating represents one way we can win a game (Bears, 2012). But isn’t it nice to know that the Hawks have multiple ways to win games: e.g – defense (Texans, 2013), special teams (Vikings, 2013), and running the ball (SF, Week 2, 2013). And when it’s all clicking you get that Super Bowl result.

The Packers, Patriots and Broncos have exactly 1 way to win a game: phenomenal QB play. If it falters, warm up the bus.

74. Day1, good post!

75. doubledink says:

When Marshawn grabbed RW in the Houston game (I think it was Houston) and said “You gotta take over this game!” tells me everything I need to know about how great RW is. He just isn’t required to put it on his back every game because of the enormous talent around him. What is cool is he is ok with that.

Mac, I see your point about Casserly .

Doubledink nice post.

77. doubledink says:

your own posts since you quit drinking are noticeably improved in their tenor. I’m sure the people around you have seen even more important improvements. Well done. Continue your journey.

78. Macabrevity says:

The more I see these luke warm takes around NFL Network on RW after him being ranked #20 the more ticked off I’m getting, and I’ll readily admit that I’m perhaps one of the most skeptical and least enthusiastic RW supporters on this forum. And yet their lack of logic just kills me on this one. These other QB’s would do better on our squad? They’d do better than they did on their own teams? What exactly makes the dunce-cap crew think that? Is it our “pedestrian” WR corps? or maybe our porous O-line? Or is it the lack of pass plays being called? How exactly are they maintaining that anyone on earth would fare better than Russell? And how much better could anyone fare given RW pretty much dominated in every category other than total yards?

I find myself fighting the urge to plaster the internet with expletives.

79. PFF QB Stats:
    QB Rating: 1st Foles 99.91, 2nd P.Manning 99.68, 3rd Rivers 94.72, 4th Brees 94.06, 5th Wilson 91.84.
    Total Accuracy: RW ranked 17th.
    Deep Passing Accuracy: RW 1st.
    Accuracy Under Pressure: RW 11th.
    Play Action: RW ranked 1st.
    Time In Pocket: RW ranked 1st.

RW is a great young QB and is only going to get better.

80. DFloydd says:

Have a wonderful Independence Day fellow TNT blogger and fellow ‘Hawks freaks! Enjoy the sun, family and BBQ-ing with your family, friends or both tomorrow. America F*** Yeah!!! USA USA USA…GO SEAHAWKS. Remember to keep it safe and insane. Light Fuse and Get Away!!! Peace!!!

81. Ray_Maines says:

Don’t know, or much care, if RW is elite but he was the best rookie QB in 2012.

82. Ray_Maines says:

and he lit up pretty good in 2013-14…

83. Ray_Maines says:

That should have been “he lit them up …”

Top five plays of SB48:

84. I did not know this about Paul Richardson (the reference is well into the article)……

85. I think it’s nuff said that Casserly considered Aaron Curry the best line backing prospect he’d seen in ten years. However I actually think trying to speculatively superimpose a QB on to another team is, while only fantasy theory, not totally without merit. But if you’re going to do that, for heaven’s sake don’t be such a stupid nit. As has been pointed out, the line didn’t play well a lot of the time. And according to most of these people the receivers are ‘pedestrian’ (more colossal blindness IMO). Hawks have a good running back indeed but there are other good running backs on teams where the QB’s are still struggling. If he really thinks he can visualise other QB’s faring better on a team with dubious o line play and very average receivers he’s just being asinine. I wonder how much he’s paid for this.

86. Our little secret is still safe . Please keep spreading the news that Wilson is no good after all winning the superbowl for his sophomore slump was a sign that he is just a game manager. And to all other nfl teams please just keep him in the pocket he is easily stopped this way. Hope we don’t have to face Eli and Payton those true top qbs are hard to stop.

87. chkn_liddle says:

The NFLN top 100 list doesn’t represent a single ranking. So no one ranked anyone below 20. Everyone on the list was ranked in the top 20 by some number of players responding to the poll. The final ranking is therefore the rank order of the number of lists the player appeared on weighted by the position on each list. Having all of these Seahawks in the top 20 means they are close to consensus top 20 ranked players. To be offended by the rank order is like being offended by a pro bowl (or for some positions an all pro) selection.

88. AZBubba71 says:

As long as Wilson keeps collecting gaudy jewelry each February, I don’t really care if 31 quarterbacks are rated ahead of him by the pundits…..and neither does Wilson.