Morning Links: NFL makes another standardization

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 1, 2014 at 10:47 am with 16 Comments »
July 1, 2014 10:47 am

Good morning.

Another quiet offseason day out there.

Links:

> The NFL is banning non-standard facemasks, according to NFL.com. No more of these (photo from NFL.com):

Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 10.28.34 AM

> Peter King talks about the CFL coverage at MMQB. Has anyone been watching CFL games (other than you, Chuck)?

> If you are in Portland, the Lombardi Trophy will be on display July 10.

> The 49ers have sold out the season tickets for their first season in their new place, Levi’s Stadium.

> Pro Football Focus did its own top 101 players list. Two Seahawks make the top 10.

> In another offseason ranking, Sports On Earth puts Seattle special teams No. 2 in the league.

1. doubledink says:

Duke,
    looks like the Lombardi will be in your neighborhood.

2. doubledink says:

Ha! PFF lists Adrian Peterson and #38.

3. jawpeace says:

Sports on Earth is very respectable in its assessments. Specials teams unit at #2 is good. I like them better than Balt, but I am bias. Ranking of the O line was very accurate as a bottom five. Not like some idiotic report I read the other week having them as the 7th best…. SMH. LOL I had to do that…. Also this article on SOE was cool ranking the Hawks Secondary as a top five of all time.

4. doubledink says:

The bit about Bob Sh*tsitt pulling what he did on Largent and then on Rice tells you plenty about him.

5. This truly is the deadest of dead times for the NFL. We have nothing to get excited about other than Jerry Rice wearing #80 for 11 games before retiring. Oh, what a horrible scam that was….yawn. SMH!

6. chuck_easton says:

Yes Todd I am following the CFL!

It’s a fun game. It took me some time to get used to it when I immigrated 14 years ago but I like it now.

Helps that my son plays the Canadian game and I’ve been coaching it for the past 5 years.

Only problem is I’m a Roughrider fan living in Stampeder country.

7. blueshq says:

Seahawks!

8. blueshq says:

Seahawks!!

9. DFloydd says:

Yawwwwwwnnnn…will somebody wake me when training camp begins, please? I swear every year the last month of waiting for the season to start goes by at a snails pace….at least it’s sunny and time can be occupied with outdoor fun. :)

10. Ray_Maines says:

NOooo!!!

I don’t want to sleep from now to training camp. I want some input, and I want it now!

This would be a great time for us non X and O guys to be coached up on what the hell a LEO is and how’s that different than a blitzing LB.

When RW runs the read option, what does he read and what’s the option?

The Pro game is more complicated now than HS football was 50 years ago. When I watch a game on TV, what should I be staring at? I’m thinking the O-Line, but what do I know?

11. confucious says:

And what does smh mean? Sorry. I’m not up to speed on all of the new abbreviations.

12. smh = shake my head