Seahawks Insider

Weekend Links: Not one, not two, not three…

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 28, 2014 at 12:07 pm with 42 Comments »
June 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Happy weekend.

We heard multiple times from different levels of the Seahawks that they were prepping for the long haul, not just one title. That was a key argument from general manager John Schneider, head coach Pete Carroll and quarterback Russell Wilson well before the Super Bowl win.

According to Richard Sherman, Carroll became a prognosticator of sorts and began pushing them toward a second title midway through last season. From a story in The Virginian-Pilot:

“Pete’s huge into psychology,” Sherman said. “He told us we were going to win it mid-last year…. He was like, ‘We’re not trying to just go for one, we’re trying to go for multiples.’ He tried to prepare our minds for a long run.”

We’ve also heard the requisite “target on their” back cliches since the Seahawks have won the Super Bowl. That’s not something new, just something elevated. Many places predicted the Seahawks would make it to the Super Bowl last year, so they were not exactly flying under the radar. Sherman is not concerned.

“Just because you’ve got a target on your back doesn’t mean you can’t hunt.”

Speaking of Sherman, Cam Newton was some interesting and flattering thoughts on Sherman.

Links:

> Joe Montana was asked if the Seahawks can become a dynasty:

> As a few of you noted in the comments, Pete Prisco of CBS Sports has a most overrated and underrated players list by team. The most underrated on the Seahawks is Brandon Mebane. The most overrated: Max Unger. Though, Prisco says arguments can be made for Russell Wilson or Marshawn Lynch. Prisco’s space is confined, but he would have done well to acknowledge that Unger was hurt much of last season, dealing with triceps and head injuries at the least. Seeing him around the lockerroom, he appeared even more banged up than that.

> An interesting comparison of pocket passer vs. mobile ones from the playoffs at Football Outsiders. Really, this is a look at Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Peyton Manning in last year’s playoffs. There is a good visual representation showing Wilson’s propensity to throw from the right side of the field.

> ESPN signed a multi-year deal with the CFL to broadcast its games. Can it pump them up enough that people in the U.S. will care? They could if it became a minor league of sort with specific NFL team affiliations.

> And, MMQB is at the CFL opener.

> Vernon Davis says he is not stressed about his holdout.

> Johnny Manziel is again a headline. Reportedly, the Browns have told him to tone it down.

Leave a comment Comments → 42
  1. Johnny Manziel is such a tool.

  2. MoSeahawk12 says:

    Cover32 should cover another sport. Football’s not their game. This is another lame list. They have posted a few of these. Romo always ends up in the top ten, yet has one playoff win in a fifteen year career. I’d go Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning, Wilson, Luck, and put Kap in there somewhere down the list above Romo.

  3. CDHawkFan says:

    Even before last year (and the injury) I thought Unger was the most overrated. I really hope it was the injury, but he seems to lose the physical battles most of the time. Sure he might be a bright guy, but he gets man handled too often. I think he is due 5 million for the next few years, wouldn’t surprise me if they use that position to save some dough.

  4. Dukeshire says:

    So Cleveland is tired of Manziel’s act before he’s even taken a snap? Not a good sign.

  5. That Cover32 article was horrible.

  6. SandpointHawk says:

    Romo but no Wilson? Please don’t bother me again with this crapola….

  7. Ewalters7354 says:

    I’ve told the person who’s over Cover32 he needs better ideas.Smh nothing has changed

  8. Why do people need to let everyone know they are shacking their head when they write something? Maybe Yank can answer that for me.

  9. I know, shaking.

  10. Ewalters7354 says:

    Well for me it’s just natural being that I’m a internet addict and only 25 lol…Sorry but Yank didn’t influence my slang.

  11. I’m going to pull an anti-Yank (no offense yank) and actually predict for the record so that I may return next year with proof that I am 100% correct in my predictions (since it will be my first and only prediction) and say that Johnny “Look at me” Manziel will not be a good QB in the NFL. I know I’m not the only one who thinks it but I’ll go on record and say it and will even eat crow on here if I’m wrong. Reminds me of Golden Tate in his first year or so thinking he could get by on his athleticism alone. Big wake up call headed his way in my opinion. (Not slamming Tate at all as he admitted to it and then put in the study time his next two years to take that next step. I just don’t see Johnnie Foosball being humble enough to do that. For some reason the guy just rubs me the wrong way as a person. Big difference between arrogance and confidence. I think he’s the former. We shall see…..

  12. seatowntp says:

    Yes, Johnny Fumble is a tool! I am just thankful that Russell Wilson doesn’t share Fumble’s mindset that he works hard during the week and it’s his God given right to party hard on the weekend (like EVERYONE else does). Fumble certainly has it all figured out. What in the world is number 03 thinking studying all the time and utilizing every moment to improve his community and his game? Oh yeah, he is thinking about what the Seahawks need to do to win back to back Super Bowls while Fumble is talking on his money phone.

  13. You got that right Seatowntp. I was thinking the same thing…

  14. Here’s to hoping Britt is the real deal.

  15. Bobby and Georgia or anyone else, being that I am a complete novice on what makes a good offensive lineman (I’m learning :) ) what is everyone seeing in Michael Bowie that convinces you he’s going to be good in the very limited amount he has played? I’m not disagreeing or questioning your analysis. I just would like some more insight from anyone willing to school a confused NON-X’s & O’s guy.

  16. ***besides the obvious answer that he’s good at pass and run blocking. I just don’t know what I’m watching for besides that he is big and can push D-Lineman around.

  17. chuck_easton says:

    Well, I’m an old Fart and I admit it.

    But I had to learn all the internet, texting, twitter slang so I could communicate with my 17 year old. He still gets on me because I actually type out the whole words in my text messages but I can at least translate his into English.

    But enough of this head shaking! I’m dizzy enough at my 50 years than to be going around intentionally shaking my head into unconsciousness.

  18. HA!Chuck! I feel y’all and I’m 42. All these internet acronyms get confusing. But what’s worse is that my 67 year old mother and 69 year old father text and basically make up their own acronyms and I am supposed to figure them out. They think you can do that with almost any sentence in a text. For example: last week my father’s text ended with CMOTDAWLYK. which I was supposed to know meant: Call Me On Tuesday And Will Let You Know. Ugh. Technology.

  19. Ewalters7354 says:

    Johnny Football is really the target of the league right now.It seems that everything he does gets talked about.I understand the need to tone it down,but if the guy wants to go clubbing during the offseason is all on him.

    So tired of hearing the “I’m glad Russell Wilson isn’t doing that” bull.Wilson is not a saint,sorry.He’s a person who was raised by parents with great qualities and you can also see his bro ad sis act damn near the same way.

    Just had to let that out…

  20. Ray_Maines says:

    I was OK with most of the Cover32 article. Colin Kaepernick @ #7?

    “While the body of work is perhaps small, it’s hard to argue with Kaepernick’s success. In only 23 career starts, he’s already posted 17 victories (a .739 winning percentage), reached two NFC Championship Games and played in a Super Bowl. That’s a pretty darn impressive résumé.”

    Well OK, next page. What’s this? Romo at #6, I didn’t like Roethlisberger at #10 either, but what do I know? Then we’re up to Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers at 4 & 3, and I’m thinking they must really love RW. Click through to the last page I find Brady and Manning, and that was honestly the first moment I figured out RW wasn’t on the list at all.

    RW has a larger body of work than CK with 34 career starts, 28 wins for a .824 winning percentage (.800% in the playoffs), is 3-1 head to head against CK and the 49ers and has WON a Superbowl. Well friends, this has me (you know what I’m going to say don’t you) shaking my head.

  21. tealskin says:

    RW is so short he’s in a lot of people’s blind spot. Might as well get used to the neglect, I think he’s not getting much taller.

  22. banosser says:

    the QB list is a farce…

    as for Johnny tool..
    Predraft he was all mea culpa: “I was a kid who made some goofball decisions,”Manziel is quoted in the Chronicle and Star-Telegram stories. “That’s been part of my journey. Maybe it’s part of the whole Johnny Football deal that I’m trying to get away from. I’m trying to show people I’ve grown up, and I’ve learned from my experiences. I feel like you’re a stupid person if you continue to make the same wrong decisions…”
    http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=28691

    now he’s got his contract and he’s ‘screw all you': “I’m not going to change for anybody,”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/27/johnny-manziel-says-he-wont-be-changing/related/

    So he out right lied to which ever team selected him in the draft.. Lied to the Owner, FO and his teammates… I have never really rooted against the Browns before.. that has changed..

    and the comparisons to RDub.. insulting

  23. jawpeace says:

    Dfloyd you need to interject your own words that favor you when they do that. Like when they sent CMOTDAWLYK. Come on over today and we’ll loan you thousands. Send back a text saying, Thanks dad I could use two thousand dollars I will be over soon to pick it up.

  24. Ha! Great idea Jawpeace! I’ll try it. :)

  25. And EWalters I understand your point. I really do but I just mean Wilson doesn’t act like Johnny Foosball because although he has the freak athleticism but doesn’t rely on that alone to succeed. He does the small things off the field to keep the focus on winning not which club he went to over the weekend. regardless of why the NFL and media have it out for Manziel shouldn’t matter. He’s spoon feeding them with his words and actions before he’s even thrown one NFL pass. Like Dukeshire said if the Browns are already asking him to tone it down it isn’t a good thing for either side. Maybe if he was already successful in the league and it was his 2nd or 3rd season and was drawing what some consider bad publicity then I’d defend him but starting off with the attitude he has before playing one game is ridonkulous. But hey, that’s just me…

  26. banosser…exactly. The guy doesn’t get it and is acting like an idiot. The Browns screwed up yet again and I hope he fails miserably. If he succeeds, it’s just going to let youngsters know its ok to act like an immature a-hole, and still succeed. I would be so mad to be a Browns fan at this point

  27. Southendzone says:

    Floyd, here’s a good article on o-line player style and stuff..

    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42710/321/categorizing-offensive-linemen

  28. Sweet! Good info. Thanks South. Like I said, I’m trying to learn.

  29. Ewalters7354 says:

    Wishing the man fails is exactly what I’m talking about!We obviously must forget that Johnny Football is still very young.For a person wish he fails is very idiotic.Especially coming from older,mature folks.

    That was the dumbest comment yet.

  30. SandpointHawk says:

    I myself have no wish that anybody fails. I do think that Kid Football will fail if he doesn’t get his head out of his butt. Someone needs to kick that ego down a notch. This thing we call life is a long and hard road and it takes a lot of work no matter what talent you think you were born with…

  31. Ray_Maines says:

    I don’t ever wish anybody would ever fail. I also don’t find joy in any particular person being a crime victim, or being beat up, raped, or being anything else bad. That said, there are some people I feel less sorry for than others. Johnny Football would be one of those people.

    Sometimes it’s hard to keep things straight. I love RW because he seems to be so squared away, and it’s easy for me to think he’s a better QB than he really is because of the respect I have for him as a person.

  32. Ray_Maines says:

    Hit the Submit button too soon. Sorry.

    It’s also very possible to downgrade CK’s talent just because he seems to be a knucklehead punk.

  33. I never said I wish he failed and I doubt jboard1 really means it either. So everyone who acts unprofessionally (in their team’s eyes, not mine. I couldn’t care less) gets a free pass to do whatever just because he’s young and “immature”? Geez man. Get off your friggin high horsey. No need to call anyone idiotic for their opinion. Starting to think you have some reason to defend him….so since we’re calling names I think defending an obvious arrogant football player who has yet to prove anything and pretty much makes you look dumb….not sure why you feel the need to say Wilson isn’t a saint? I never said he was. I’m just glad he isn’t out partying and being defensive when questioned about it saying he’ll not change his ways for anyone. I think when a team pays you millions to play a game you might want to tone it down a little bit at your team’s request. I don’t wish Mr. Foosball any I’ll will, I just think his behavior is setting him up to not be successful right out of the gate. And again it’s just my opinion. If he keeps it up he’s gonna be the next M. Leinart,M. Sanchez,V.Young,J. Russell…..

  34. montanamike2 says:

    Regardless of his perceived and blatant immaturity, How’s he gonna succeed in Cleveland?

  35. Exactly Montanamike. I mean it’s still the flipping Cleveland Browns..How many QBs have they had in the last 5-10 years? Hmmmm…regardless of all of this it’s going to be interesting to watch. If Hoyer is the starter right away how many losses are they going to tolerate before Johnny Football Fever takes over? 3? 5? 7? I’d give Hoyer the keys and if/when the Browns are out of playoff contention then turn it over to Jonathan Foosball and see what he’s got. If I remember right Hoyer played decent til he got hurt last season, correct? Not sure as I never pay attention to the Browns….

  36. Ray_Maines says:

    I lead a sheltered life as a kid and didn’t know much about nothin’. I went to Cleveland High School in Seattle and for no better reason than that I always cheered for the Browns, Indians and Cavaliers. In other words, I feel some amount of empathy with the nice people who live on the edge of Lake Erie (including Detroit and Buffalo).

    Cleveland HS has a good girls BB program but pretty much sucks at everything else. Kind of like Cleveland, Ohio.

    I feel your pain, Browns fans, I really do. But you know what? Seattle has Russel Wilson and you’ve got Johnny Manziel. Neener, neener! I win, you lose. Sucks to be you!!

  37. Ewalters7354 says:

    No need to get defensive dude.All I’m saying is let the man enjoy himself,he’s still young.Never defended him being a knucklehead and really can care less if he is.But wishing a person fails so youth don’t go that route?That was definitely an idiotic comment to make.

    If that’s the case all rappers who use curse words in their song,or any person who has tattoos shouldn’t succeed right?C’mon man it’s never cool to wish anybody fails.

    Moving on now.Not getting tied in dumb debates.

  38. Ok. Fair enough….moving on as well…respect

  39. As far as off field stuff

    Johnny Football = Matt Leinert

    Just sayin!

  40. The only reason i say I want to see Johnny fail in the NFL is because of the image he is creating for himself. There are youngsters out there who love him and think partying balls every weekend and being a successful QB go hand in hand. So yes, if he continues to portray himself as a lush party boy/NFL QB, i hope he fails just so that these kids will understand that to achieve success, you must put in hard work and cut out the BS from your life. Because in all honesty, i would love for him to be successful due to the fact he is a crazy athlete, and would make the NFL watch to watch. But as long as he is an idiot off the field, I do hope he does not succeed. The NFL, entertainment business and our youth do not need Johnny dbag to be an idol. What they need is a russell wilson, a Tom Brady..someone who puts in work on and off the field, who studies hard, who plays hard and who does not create negative attention towards themselves and the league.

*
We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

JavaScript is required to post comments.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0