Morning Links: Sherman drumming up charity cash

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 26, 2014 at 12:57 am with 37 Comments »
June 26, 2014 12:57 am

Good morning.

Richard Sherman’s celebrity softball game at Safeco Field is July 20. Sherman will be sharing the wealth.

After an incredibly successful championship season on the gridiron, Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks and one of TIME Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People is hoping to use his platform to make an even greater impact off of the field with his 25 for 25 Giving Event presented in conjunction with the Richard Sherman Celebrity Softball Game (RSCSG) on July 20th, 2014 at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington. Richard’s Foundation, Blanket Coverage: The Richard Sherman Family Foundation, will be doing something very unique with part of the proceeds that it will receive from this year’s event. It aims to support 25 different charities with a minimum of $2,500 as well as provide over 1,000 complimentary tickets to be distributed to deserving individuals in and around the Seattle region.

Back to some football(ish) stories.

> At Monday Morning Quarterback, a fascinating story about the arthroscope and how it has revolutionized treatment of ACL tears and more.

> “The NFL agreed Wednesday to remove a $675 million cap on damages from thousands of concussion-related claims after a federal judge questioned whether there would be enough money to cover as many as 20,000 retired players.” Though, both sides agreed that the league is unlikely to have to spend more than that cap number, even with the cap lifted.

> Michael Bennett settled with a Tampa kennel that said he left his puppy there when he signed with the Seahawks.

> Remember, training camp registration begins this morning at 10.

> PFT says 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith is likely to be suspended for at least the opener. This is not a surprise.

1. montanamike2 says:

I wish that i would be suspended for 1 game if i did all that stuff A. Smith did, oh yeah i’m not a star player. I’d probably get 5-10 years for the airport incident alone, not to mention 2 DUI’s and gun charges. 1 game?

2. montanamike2 says:

It’s a good thing he didn’t get caught smoking weed, otherwise he might be in real trouble.

3. Lol Montana. But don’t forget, when he crashed his car into the tree while he was drunk, he had weed and pills on him in the car. Just more of the same from Goodell, trying to protect the princess 49ers franchise. It’s such a joke.

4. Hammajamma says:

The Bennett story is disturbing and really disappointing, not only for the dog but the way he disregarded the people at the kennel. He owes those people more than just a check, and I certainly have a hard time rooting for a guy who can be that kind of a dueche. I’d like to hear about an apology at some point.

5. tchristensen says:

I agree, the Bennett story is disappointing to say the least but I’m sure there’s another side to it

6. tchristensen says:

hopefully, there’s another side to it.

7. djbargelt says:

While Bennett’s dog story does not equal dog killer Michael Vicks, it none-the-less shows where his priorities are – himself! Absolute disregard for animals and humans alike. I have to say that I am no longer a fan of his sorry ass!

8. yankinta says:

lol, I wouldn’t go that far….I’m still a big fan of his but now I know Mr & Mrs Bennett are Dumb or irresponsible…

9. AzulVerde says:

I would “think” there is another side to the Bennett story (Or I hope). But I agree with you guys if there isn’t then I’m very disappointed and will say I’m no longer a fan. I’ll wish and hope he plays well because i’m a Seahawk Fan, but I can’t personally like or enjoy a player who would be cruel or neglectful to “anyone” or anything.

VERY, VERY disappointed. My only hope is that at some point soon here Michael comes out and either explains himself and/or apologizes.

My2CentsWorth

Who cares about an apology from Bennett? His actions say everything. Abandoning his 4 month old pup was intentional; any apology would be nothing more than lip service. Bennett is a hell of a DE but a complete POS as a person, in my book. If you’re not willing to take on the necessary responsibility that’s required as a pet owner, don’t get one. I’m with djbargelt: Bennett is easily my least favorite player now.

11. AzulVerde says:

The Aldon Smith thing just sickens me to no end. If this was nearly any other team, Goodell would be handing out MUCH harsher punishment. If it turns out to only be a 1 game suspension, I’m seriously going to write a NastyGram to the League Office (Not that it will do a damn bit of good).

I’m not hoping for harsh repercussions because Smith is a 49r (although I’ll admit I wouldn’t be disappointed) but I would want the same if it was one of our own players. This kind of behavior needs to not be accepted in the NFL. If Goodell and company really want to set an example as they claim, then a clear message needs to be sent out to players break the law (especially to this extreme).

But it appears that “Popular stars” on “popular teams” don’t get the same treatment as everyone else. I know this unfortunately “reality” in this day and age, but it absolutely sickens me to no end that people with money can buy their way out of nearly anything….

*Sad

My2CentsWorth

12. AzulVerde says:

Duke, I hear ya. I do. But I’m the type person who is willing to hear “both sides”. And beyond that, I’m also someone who believes in forgiveness. How do you know an apology would “JUST” be lip service? Can you tell a mans heart? I’ll agree it’s easy to be cynical, and believe that anything said would just be lip service or done to repair his public image. But I’m willing to forgive “nearly” anyone at least once, as long as they are truly repentant and don’t repeat the same mistake over and over again.

I realize I might be different then most. But IMHO everyone deserves a second chance. All that being said, until I hear an apology though, or hear another side of the story that refutes this media report. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Bennett is “currently” my least favorite Seahawk PERIOD.

My2CentsWorth

13. montanamike2 says:

Maybe he can’t afford to take care of his dog. I hate Michael Vick so….

AzulVerde – They had to file a lawsuit against him. If he felt any remorse about abandoning his pup, he would have at least paid the god damn bill on his own. Additionally, if he genuinely couldn’t care for the dog or there were other extenuating circumstances, why not locate an adoption facility? They’re “everywhere”. He has all the means in the world to do what’s in the dog’s best interest and he chose not to.

Maybe the NFL network will ask him about it next Monday?

Doubt it.

16. If Goodell has his way he will probably suspend Bennett for the dog abandonment, and let Aldon Smith play all year with no repercussions

17. AzulVerde says:

Duke, just because he had a judgement filed against him, doesn’t “necessarily” mean he directly knew about it. I know this because it’s happened to me before. I had a small claim filed against me for an an unpaid storage unit. Because I had moved across the country though, I didn’t find out about it till almost a year later. I also factor in the fact that Bennetts agent probably handles many things for him (Mind you thats NO EXCUSE). I’m just saying there is a “possibility” (though I agree it’s probably slight). That he didn’t know and maybe there is more to the story. Maybe he made arrangements and someone else didn’t follow through… “doubtful” but possible.

I guess my only point is, I like to hear both sides, and I won’t assume. I get you being upset though, I am as well. I guess I just am the type person that wants to know both sides before I make complete judgement.

My2CentsWorth

18. TechWorlds says:

So is leaving a dog a kennel worse than endangering people’s lives by driving drunk as Lynch did?

19. yankinta says:

MAN!!! How can all the Training CAMP Tickets be gone within 2 Minutes??? I was only 2 minutes late!! SMH…

AzulVerde – Are you suggesting that he didn’t know he took the dog there (or was taken there on his directive)? So the dog just up and vanished? Come on… I’m not going to hold my breathe for any other sides here, but should one be forthcoming, I’ll skeptically listen. But the reality is that I’ve been around long enough to know better.

21. chuck_easton says:

I’m not going to get into the Bennett debate other than to just say that there is a segment of American society that do not consider dogs or other pets as anything other than possessions.

I look back on the whole Michael Vick incident and I was amazed and disgusted with the number of people that were defending Vick by saying “there JUST dogs…”

I would look how Bennett was raised. What type of neighborhood did he live in? What was his economic status?

Just because he has millions now doesn’t mean he was ever in a social environment where pets are a life long responsibility and in many cases a valued member of the family.

That being said, if you don’t want to take on the responsibility associated with owning a dog, don’t buy one.

22. jawpeace says:

I just hope the Bennett’s don’t get anymore pets. They should be banned for a few years.

Boxers while cute have short life spans as far as dogs go averaging just around 8 years. It is a shame that poor dog had to waste one of his few precious years away in a kennel. I will never get a Boxer because of their shorter life spans. As my dog is my family. As much as I love my pooch it would be very sad knowing that she being 8 would be near the end.

I guess you can conclude with Aidon punishment that justice in the NFL is just as inconsistent as it is in courts across America.

23. jawpeace says:

Article on Wilson’s optimism. But hey what Hawk fan or player is not optimistic about the 2014 season!

24. Bad story about Bennett, if completely true. But it is not like he abandoned the dog in his backyard when he left. And how much sympathy can you have for someone charging $500 a month to feed a dog? Again, if true, he’s cheapskate, not a monster, imo.

25. Macabrevity says:

Aldon Smith needs a lengthy suspension and jail time…

Bennett needs some basic classes on humane treatment of animals, and good friends that will dissuade him from getting any more pets. Get a plant MB, preferably one that can be planted outside and doesn’t need much care.

26. Agreed PHXHawk. It’s kind of a dumb move on his part but hardly animal cruelty.

27. Singularitarian says:

It’s kind of funny that the western world is so hypocritical about animals. Like treat your dog like a family member while you eat yourself into an obese stuper, shoveling your face with bacon, chicken wings, burgers and steak. I bet there is at least one of you eating meat while whining about the mistreatment of dogs on a blog. I have a dog and treat him very well, but I also understand that I unnecessarily murder hundreds of animals each year that are much more mistreated than being left at a “doggie daycare” and then being adopted by another “loving family”. If you ate meat today, or drank milk raped from a cows titty (or any milk product)maybe think about the hypocrisy. Would you condemn Bennett for eating steak and eggs? 15k for a dog kennel watching a dog for 9 months. I’d say they came ahead on that one

28. banosser says:

“The puppy required at least two walks a day, and had to be separated from other dogs because it had not been fixed, attorney Mark Aubin said.”

“He abandoned the dog!”

gimme a break…

What he did was leave a dog in a place where he KNEW it would be properly taken care of… didn’t leave it out in the country to fend for itself.. didn’t put it down or shoot it or poison it… Sure it wasn’t the ideal way of handling the situation but it was a way in which the dog got taken care of.. except it sounds like the kennel didn’t feed it properly and took nearly a yr to place in the Rescue organization!

Singularitarian – That argument is a near complete non-sequitur. And while I have serious issues with the food industry and their barbaric treatment of animals, simply because I’m not vegan doesn’t make me a hypocrite.

Furthermore, the issue I have isn’t exclusive to his irresponsibility by accepting to care for (willingly) another animal, one who would be/was exclusively dependent on him, but for the fact his irresponsibility extended to stiffing the daycare. He’s a millionaire and can’t manage to pay what amounts to pocket change to the kennel? He could have dropped the pup off at the local Humane Society and been charged nothing.

As for the 15K: The vast majority of that went to cover attorney costs. So in essence, Bennett’s stupidity cost him an additional $10,000+ unnecessarily.

banosser – Sounds to me like the kennel thought he was coming back at some point and didn’t want to give away someone else’s pet. They’re not an adoption agency. This isn’t the crime of the century, to be sure. But Bennett’s a moron. Of that I am certain.

31. SandpointHawk says:

Guys, check out the boarding kennel on line before you throw stones. There are plenty of complaints against them. Relevant info is there lack of returning calls or even answering calls. As a long time dog owner I was at first appalled when I first heard of this last year. But with a little digging I now agree their are two sides to every story….

32. I wish I had more information but based on the story linked here I’ve lost a lot of my respect, admiration and general “likeness” of Bennett. You simply do not do that to a dog or any animal. It’s all about responsibility. I understand the requirements of the NFL may have made it exceedingly difficult to handle arrangements for the dog but that is why you have an agent, friends, family, etc., etc. Worse comes worse you PAY someone to help with the dog in some way or another. The only good thing I can say is at least they left the dog with a responsible kennel.

33. I hate to say it’s just a dog, but hell it’s a friging dog! He left the dog at a kennel which is what you do when you leave town and can’t take the dog with you. I’m a pet lover but hell quit huggin the trees so tight! The kennel will get paid and they have a policy (everyone has a policy) for dogs left longer than a particular period and instead of following that policy they held on to the dog cause they had some rich football player over a barrel. He left the dog at the kennel while he was off winning football championship of the world! Wa Wa Wa!

34. by the way I am also a pet lover and have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 horses which are very well cared for. Some peoples string is just wound a bit too tight!

35. joeradio says:

Bennett exercised poor judgement, but to make him your least favorite Seahawk or call him stupid is a waste of time. This story is a waste of time. If that’s all that we have to complain about, I expect us to have another great season. Sheesh.

GO HAWKS!