McDaniel ready to play in and out

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 24, 2014 at 1:35 am with 33 Comments »
June 24, 2014 1:38 am
Tony McDaniel will likely adjust his role this season. / AP photo
Tony McDaniel will likely adjust his role this season. / AP photo

One of the quieter offseason returns to the Seahawks was that of defensive lineman Tony McDaniel.

After an effective season on the interior — McDaniel had 53 tackles and two sacks in 15 starts — he became an unrestricted free agent. As was his hope, McDaniel came back to the Seahawks on a two-year, $5.75 million deal.

“They gave me a lot of opportunity, which I never had in my career,” McDaniel, entering his ninth NFL season, said. “I had the opportunity to start. Got a ring. Got another chance to get another ring. I was excited that they wanted me back and glad we came to terms.

“The whole time, even during the season last year, I knew my contract was going to be up and there were going to be some things that had to be handled. Immediately after the Super Bowl, I had my fingers crossed, hoping Seattle was going to try to sign me back. There was a lot of other teams that were trying to get me, but, at the end of the day, I really wanted to be here. So, I was happy that they showed interest.”

Pete Carroll said McDaniel will replace Red Bryant at five technique. That will be a smaller adjustment for him than last year, when he was playing three technique. McDaniel was often outside during his four seasons with the Miami Dolphins before coming to Seattle.

“A lot of people probably don’t know much about me and that I played there before,” McDaniel said. “I’ve got the body type — 6-7, 320. I definitely fit the body type to play end. It wasn’t a big deal to move out there.”

Jamming things up on the outside is not a position of glory, something McDaniel is aware of. But, it’s an important spot for the Seahawks, primarily on early downs. Seattle can do a lot of mixing and matching — like last year — with McDaniel outside and possibly Kevin Williams, Jesse Williams or Jordan Hill at an inside spot with Brandon Mebane. As you’ll recall, Bryant played a much higher percentage of snaps against run-dominated San Francisco as opposed to the rest of the league last year.

“You might be in the fit correctly and the guy next to you makes the play,” McDaniel said. “As long as you handle your gaps, you know that you’re playing well.”

And, really, he has affinity for either spot. His preference depends on mood.

“When I’m at the 3-technique, it’s a little more physical and rough and banging,” McDaniel said. “Then, when you’re out at the edge, you’ve got to be a little more finesse and you’re kind of more on an island. Some days, I feel like fighting and battling more, some days I feel like being out finessing. Kind of work hand-in-hand.”

1. Singularitarian says:

Yeah I didn’t really know he played much 5. Figured they must have some kind of plan to replace some of Reds early down action. I heard Scruggs. I don’t think this line will miss a beat

2. montanamike2 says:

Gone are the days of players bolting as soon as they can. If you’re serious about rings, you’ll take a little less to stay.

3. montanamike2 says:

At 6-7, that’s a big boy playing the 5 spot.

4. ChrisHolmes says:

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone here know how to get a hold of a DVD/BlueRay of the Superbowl? I keep checking Amazon, and and I can’t find one.

I found the game broadcast here last night, and watched almost the whole game:

It was so awesome to see that game in its entirety after several months. Seeing it with fresh eyes is really fun. Harvin really was a sparkplug, and Kearse’s TD at the end was one of my favorite plays.

5. vichawkfan says:

All 3 playoff games. I’m trying to find the whole season. There’s someone on ebay that’s selling preseason to Superbowl for $100.

6. @Chris: Costco was selling DVDs of the playoffs and Superbowl. I just picked one up last week.

7. The NFL rewind is not a bad deal. You get this season as well as last, and more, no playoff games.

8. ChrisHolmes says:

Thanks Vichawhfan!

9. chuck_easton says:

I know it’s early in the 2014 year, but it is looking like the D-line may just very well be better than last year’s.

That is a scary thought.

10. montanamike2 says:

Chuck, i think both sides of the line will be better this year. Then theirs every other position as well, look out league.

11. yankinta says:

WOW,, this is a really good article to read. I learned a few things I didn’t realize before… :)

12. I have the entire season on Blu-Ray.. I also picked up a copy of “The Road to SB48″ on BD. That disc has a great picture but lacks the 5.1 sound that mine have. mocarob at hotmail

13. FleaFlicker says:

Yank, I think I read that article when it came out. Pretty interesting conclusions. For all the analysis and projection that scouting departments do, there’s always risk of a bad pick. Not terribly surprising that the dominant strategy is to increase the overall number of draft picks and see what talent bubbles up to the top. Not to mention the cap implications of playing lower round picks. Kind of like the PC/JS approach. I just wish the RG3 trade had been made in a different conference…

14. Chris:
    The DVD of SB48 is available at Pro-Shop Product #1660633 $24.99.

15. jawpeace says:

Human nature tends to exaggerate your height, and understate your real weight. So is Mc.D really 6’7″ and 320? Big Red made everyone look small next to him and he was listed at 6’4″ and 318 lbs.. A lot of people on this blog and other places have said that we won’t be as good on run downs with out Red. Daniel’s is big and the Hawks should be fine.

16. Southendzone says:

If the D-line is indeed better this year, Dan Quinn has to be the 1st assistant hired away as a new HC. It will really prove his excellence as a D. Coordinator.

1st, stepping into a new team and keeping the flow from prior year going as well as improving it. Then going through significant turn-over on the staff and making it even better.

I honestly don’t think it can be done just based on how incredible last year’s D was. So if they accomplish that, it will be legendary.

17. vichawkfan says:

Mocarob-I’ve sent you a PM

If the offense can sustain drives consistently better (much like they did in the Super Bowl)
    The defense will probably get more three & outs.

Yes I can see the D getting better just because of the better play on offense.

19. Can’t remember what game it was last season but I remember Big Tony busting thru the line, pretty much picking up the QB and tossing him on the ground like a rag doll. That is my favorite Big Tony McDee play.

20. FleaFlicker says:

Georgia, good point. Forcing other teams to play from behind (like in the Super Bowl) let’s the D-Line go for it while dime coverage suffocates the air game.

21. AzulVerde says:

My earlier prediction was that the D-line wouldn’t be improved (They played so well last year, I just didn’t see it happening). So I said D would be equal or slightly worse then last year, but offense would be significantly improved. Overall I predicted 12-4 Winning HFA and going to playoffs (wasn’t predicting Super Bowl repeat “yet”).

I’m beginning to think the D has a chance to be better this year (barring injury). If they are better, (I’ll watch preseason) then G*d help the rest of the league. We have tough schedule this season, but if we improve across the board it’s not out of the realm of possibility of us going 14-2.

Then maybe, just maybe we can repeat! On a side not if the D does improve this year, I say that we have a shot of making the argument of “best defense of all time”. Irregardless, finally after years of obscurity, it is really fun to be a Seahawk fan!

I’m Loving it!!!
    Go Hawks!

22. ChrisHolmes says:

yank posted a good link. That’s a good read.

What I find interesting about that article is the correlation to Seattle’s play in the Superbowl. Having just watched that game last night, for the first time since the live broadcast, I was even more impressed by the totality of the contributions by the players. Everyone on this team, it felt like, made a play.

On nearly every single play, there is a new Seahawks face making an impact. One play it’s Avril, next it’s Chancellor, next play is Maxwell, then Mebane snuffs out a screen, Pearcy Harvin races around the corner, then Russel Wilson making a play, and converting all those 3rd downs early on to keep the offense going, Tate snagging a ball in traffic, Lynch busting a run, Mike Rob catching a pass out of the backfield, Kearse ping-ponging for a TD, Baldwin racing past Champ Baily for a huge reception… It wasn’t one guy who won that game – it was a very, very deep roster of talented players, all doing their job. And that becomes so evident when Joe Buck tells the audience that MVP voting is open online, but even he and Troy Aikman have no idea who to vote for.

PC and JS get it. You can’t just have a couple superstars and a bunch of guys; you draft and draft and draft and put talent at every position.

What was really impressive was the absolute swarm of Seahawks defenders rushing to the ball carrier on nearly every play. It was suffocating to watch.

And the turnover battle.. PC really believes in that metric is an indicator for winning, and it came true in this game. Seattle could have had as many as seven turnovers had Denver not fallen on a few of their own fumbles.

Pretty cool that this is our team.

23. yankinta says:

ChrisHolmes,, I’m very interested in building dynasty and what it takes to to do so. Of course that’s why I’m very interested in the draft picks and compensatory picks. That article was very enjoyable for me. I’m glad you enjoyed it too. :)

I truly believe that we are gonna win 3-5 Superbowls in a 10 years span. :)

24. I really believe this DL will be as good or better than last years with an even better rotation than last year. Last year had more DL turnover than this year and people tend to forget how we started because of how great we finished.

Last year Irvin was moved to LB and Clemons was coming off surgery. The DL replaced Branch, Scruggs, and Jones with Bennett, Avril, and McDaniel. Additionally McDonald was cut out of camp and later brought back due to injury.

This year we lost only Clemons, Bryant, and McDonald and added Jordan, Jesse Williams, Kevin Williams, Scruggs, Marsh,and maybe another rookie or two. We forget that Bryant didn’t even play half the snaps, and that clemons was AWOL until the last part of the season, and that McDonald came in half way and didn’t start to contribute till the end as well.

Hawks not have less turnover this yr on the DL but more talent to boot.

25. AzulVerde says:

@chris and Yank… don’t know if you noticed below the article that Yank posted as another very good draft article.Scouting Process It’s worth reading…

26. I don’t think the DL will be better but it may perform better due to an offense that will score more points. I think there’s a significant drop from Tony McDaniel to Red Bryant. We also don’t have Clem, although he wasn’t the Clem we’d been used to (at least until, understandably, later in the year). Bennett isn’t playing for his contract, so his motor may have gone from 100% to 99.5% (which is still great, but any let up in the NFL is noticeable). Some of these guys like McDaniel, Mebane, and Bennett aren’t at ages where they are going to continue to improve either. A lot of my faith for improvement is from Jordan Hill but we’ll have to see. I’m happy that Williams has been doing well, but I really expected Hill would be that break-out player and maybe he will be.

I also agree that it was nice to watch the Super Bowl and watch total domination but moving into 2014 everyone starts the same again. Nobody has lots of major injuries and everyone is 0-0. When we beat the Broncos – the Broncos had lost about half of their defense from November on, whereas we were about as healthy as possible.

Now, sometimes I think you create your own luck and by having such a young roster makes it easier to have healthy players, where a more veteran team (like Ruskell would assemble) is obviously going to be more prone to injury.

With all that being said – I wouldn’t trade our roster with anyone else in the NFL. Wow – that’s a cool feeling to have going into a season!

27. Southendzone says:

Hey Azul,

How do you post a link and give it a different name than the full URL? Always wondered… thx.

28. ChrisHolmes

That link you posted is suspect at best. It tries to get you to download all kinds of BS spyware and “media players”. It tells you java needs updating when it doesn’t. If you downloaded all that stuff you will need to clean off your pc.

29. AzulVerde says:

pretty easy… although hard to explain here because typing the code will create a link So I’ll try to break it up. You start by typing a with no space after the > NAME OF LINK the . without the spaces.

Hope this posts correct.

30. AzulVerde says:

It didn’t work so I’ll create a link of where to go page that shows you how…How to create named link.

Hope that helps

31. Macabrevity says:

The biggest loss on the field ‘might’ be Clint. He was highly productive in his off-the-bench role, and while Clem and Red were the big names on this defense, the 2013 Clem will potentially be surpassed by Avril and the 2013 Red was just overpaid for the role of run-plugger, as brilliant as he was in that role. It remains to be seen what our rookies and red-shirts can do, although I’m high on all of them.

32. Macabrevity says:

‘defense’ should be read ‘defensive line’