Morning Links: Seahawks still have things to sort out

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 23, 2014 at 12:53 am with 64 Comments »
June 23, 2014 12:53 am

Good morning.

As we countdown to the start of training camp July 25, the Seahawks still have some things to figure out. From our Dave Boling:

Maybe the biggest thing the Seattle Seahawks proved during their offseason workouts is that they look very much like a team hungry to earn a trip to the Super Bowl rather than one fattened up from celebrating the last one.

Workouts have been competitive and contentious, and some players and observers fairly suggest the roster is better than the one they took into last season.

It’s probably the fastest Seahawks team in history, and most positions enjoy the luxury of depth.

Just making it to training camp with the Seahawks might be enough to assure a player of a job elsewhere in the NFL, as it has become trendy for teams to pad their rosters with Seattle’s castoffs.

But there’s a great deal yet for the Seahawks to sort through between now and training camp, and ultimately before the Sept. 4 opener against the Green Bay Packers.

You can read the rest of his column here.

> New wide receiver Chris Matthews is surprised at how competitive the environment is at Seahawks practice.

> Golden Tate calls Richard Sherman the best cornerback and defender in football.

> Red Bryant and Chris Clemons talk about the culture change they are dealing with. For one, Bryant points out Jacksonville is quite a bit hotter than Seattle.

> From the hard news department: Doug Baldwin compares players on the Seahawks to characters on “Game of Thrones.” Baldwin said Russell Wilson is comparable to a dwarf.

> Lots of weekend notes from MMQB.

> MMQB is also trekking into the CFL for “Canada Week.”

> SI.com media writer Richard Deitsch sat down with the executive in charge of that buffoon Skip Bayless and his show “First Take.” As expected, she defends Bayless, one of the most unrelenting hacks in the history of sports media. Deitsch put forth this question toward the end of the interview:

SI.com: Let me read you something from Richard Sherman who said the following to Skip Bayless on your airwaves: “I am intelligent enough and capable enough to understand that you are ignorant, pompous, egotistical cretin, and that’s what it comes down to. And I’m going to crush you on here in front of everybody because I’m tired of hearing about it.” Do you consider that a good or bad moment for First Take and why?

Keegan: I consider it a moment. I don’t characterize it. It certainly was not what we were looking for and not what we were expecting.

As an aside, this is a great example of Bayless’ fraudulent attempts to be anything other than a circus act.

It would be cool to have a chat or an article about/or with the Seahawks regional scouts.

Or perhaps some older retired scouts that can/will talk about inside stories leading up to (how/why?) Some of the past Seahawks came to be.

Just some of their daily routine & travel stories would be much more interesting than That fool Skip Baseless & his bigger football fool loud mouth partner.

“As expected, she defends Bayless, one of the most unrelenting hacks in the history of sports media”

Todd, thank you for that. I couldn’t agree more.

3. confucious says:

Agreed Georgia. The crap that spills from skip and companies mouth is purely intended to incite a reaction. That must be what gets the ratings. If it didn’t, it would be cancelled by now. Kinda sad that folks crave that trash so much.

4. montanamike2 says:

Bayless is the sports version of Jerry Springer.

5. chuck_easton says:

Posted this in the previous thread, but it’s worth repeating here.

At the start of camp every year we get people stating that this or that player should be PUPed to start the year, thus giving the player a few extra weeks to mend, and thus allowing the team to ‘stash’ a player.

This year’s PUP candidate appears to be Sydney Rice. Several people have opined that Rice should start the year on PUP thus giving the younger guys a chance while keeping Rice as insurance.

So, here’s the annual explanation of the PUP rule.

A player that cannot pass the physical at the start of camp can begin camp on the PUP list.

A player that starts camp on the PUP list:

1. Can’t practice with the team, but can be in meetings.
    2. Counts towards the 90 man camp roster.
    3. Can remain on PUP for the entire camp.
    4. Can be cleared to practice at anytime during camp.
    5. Any player that is activated and participates in camp even for one day cannot be placed on PUP.

Players that can start the regular season on PUP.

1. Can only be made up of players that have been on PUP for the ENTIRE camp.
    2. Must sit out a minimum of the 1st 6 team games and then the clock for return to the team or IR begins.

So, for your scenario that Rice is PUPed to start the season would mean that Rice won’t be able to practice at all during camp.

It has already been stated by Carroll and repeated by Todd that Rice may not be ready for day one of camp but he will be ready at least within the first week.

Again, if Rice, Irvin, Malcom Smith, Chancellor, Okung, or any of the other injured players participates in just ONE practice of camp they cannot be on the PUP to start the season.

6. Regarding who will return Punts for Seattle, here’s a blast from the past:

Remember the Giants Jason Sehorn? A fine player–and interestingly the last starting cb in the NFL who happened to be white (that I know of)–Sehorn blew his knee on the opening kickoff of a PRESEASON GAME, requiring reconstructive knee surgery including MCL and ACL work, and was never the same again.

The two previous years, he averaged 5.5 picks and about 80 tackles per year. After missing the 98 season due to the injury, he would never make more than 3 picks in a season, and only topped 56 tackles and 13 games played once. He played through the 2003 season, but was injury prone and barely played (started 8 games total) his last two years.

Returning kicks is far more likely to result in catastrophic injury than playing DB, and is NOTHING like returning an INT.

I am absolutely Dead Set against using Thomas, Sherm, or Lane as returners. Harvin is different, its a major reason he’s paid so much and what he was brought here to do; and we need him to return kicks. But we cant afford to risk All Pro players to return kicks, or risk what happened to Easley and Sehorn. Its just not worth the risk, not with other fast, athletic players not as valuable to the team on the roster.

7. Todd Dybas–Youre killin’ it today with the Bayless comments! Keep up the good work, sir!

8. ChrisHolmes says:

Todd – you, sir, get sports journalist of the year award for this one post. The Bayless comments are priceless. And dead-on accurate.

Thank you – thank you so much – for taking a public stance against that hack.

I think I’m going to read this post about 20 times today.

9. Does anyone have accurate injury statistics for kick and punt returners? I would be interested in seeing real data versus the anecdotal evidence given for why starters should not return kicks and punts.

10. Marshawn Lynch is The Hound! Great stuff from Baldwin.

11. yankinta says:

lol,, no matter how many people say they can’t stand Bayless,, that show still gets Great ratings and Bayless is getting paid a ton for it.

I do give him credit that he never fails to eat crows,, unlike some or most people on this blog. :)

Like yourself you mean?

13. sluggo42 says:

Bayless is a shrewd business man, who knows how to get ratings-thus money- in his pocket. He is very good at what he does, which is pissing people off. Hats off to a savvy entertainer making good coin…

14. MoSeahawk12 says:

Yank Bayless sounds about right

Besides having a great RB the Eagles O-line is a big reason why HyperFoles had hyperstats last season.

No love for the Seahawks here-

16. The fraudulence of Nick Foles is only equaled by the 2007 Seahawks Defense.

17. OrrObb–I don’t have those stats, but it sure would be interesting to see. Special Teams results in more injuries–and those injuries are more severe–per play vs Offense/Defense, to the degree the NFL has discussed doing away with punts/kick offs entirely.

But I don’t know stays for percentage of major injuries per play for returners.

18. With the Eagles O-line, Lynch would have run for 1800 plus yards and 5.5-6.5 ypc last year, IMO.

Lynch is a prime example of stats lying if you really paid attention to his performance week in, week out last year. The only back aside from Lynch who would have broken 1,000 yards and 4.0 ypc with our line aside from Lynch is AP. McCoy would have been lucky to make it through the year uninjured, let alone get 1,000 yards.

19. It’s really the Eagles schedule which allowed that team to put up the stats they did, not the OL.

But like I’ve been saying for years, no one every adjusts for schedule when analyzing results.

20. pabs–The weak schedule definitely had a LOT to do with the Eagles offensive stats, but saying the OL had nothing to do with it is silly. Of course their line had something to do with it! While the schedule made them look better than they probably were, several of their linemen were voted in to the Pro Bowl by their peers–the same peers who also played vs other top linemen. Their peers voted them in even though they arent Big Names on a Big Team. They werent voted in due to name recognition, as in Ungers pathetically unearned berth last season, but because they were good.

21. Why you gotta hate on Springer?

22. montanamike2 says:
  23. That Broncos offense looked pretty good until they faced a real defense and not the AFC West and NFC East.

The Eagles faced those teams and the terrible NFC North. You’d be amazed how good Carpenter would look against the Defenses the Eagles faced.

24. montanamike2 says:

The Broncos schedule is a prime example of of miscued stats. The greatest offense in history?

25. AzulVerde says:

I just got done re-watching all of last years games. After watching the games with a more critical eye, and paying attention to specifics one thing I can say is how much I appreciate Marshawn Lynch. I knew our O-line wasn’t the greatest, but since I’m not an O-line guy and don’t know all of the ins and outs (I’m wide receiver guy) (Played High school ball and 1 year college, till I blew out my knee). I was hesitant to label them as horrible.

I stand corrected! Our line was atrocious last year. (Yes it had its good moments) But one glaring thing I noticed is that the line made ML’s job extremely difficult. All the games where he was shut down, I just assumed it’s because the apposing team game planned well just to stop him. NO!! our blocking was terrible for the most part. It was only because of ML’s vision and cutback ability, and unrelenting piston legs that allowed him to perform like he did.

I also have a greater appreciation for RW! I know many have said it before, but he REALLY DID make our line look “not as bad as it was” because of his ability to escape and turn something outta nothing. Also being super critical of his play, (watching the games this time through) I will definitely say he is way more then a game manager. He can and did take this team on his back to win games.

If we can get some improvement on the line this year, and the receivers turn out to be 1/2 as good as they are looking up to this point in camp. OMG look out! I’m telling you now, I’m looking for RW to have a monster year this year. (if the above things happen). This may be the year RW starts getting some real respect as a QB.

My2CentsWorth

26. montanamike2 says:

We could see how bad the O-line was all the way here in Montana!
    Pabs we posted the same thing at the same time again.

27. AzulVerde says:

P.S. If you guys don’t have NFL Game rewind, I highly suggest it. Worth the money IMHO. Being able to go back and rematch games (condensed) or even watch the coaches tape is just plain awesome for fans like us…

GoHawks

First time I heard Unger had any name recognition.

Didn’t some of the same peers who played against the Eagle’s lineman play against Unger too.

29. Georgia–If you believe Unger made the Pro Bowl on Merit last season, then boy do I have a deal for you on Ocean Front Property in AZ!

Unger is known as a tricky, technical stud who doesnt quit, but last year he was not particularly effective. He was a one-armed bandit due to injury much of the year.

And yeah, he’s pretty famous among players and moreso than you think in the Media; I read several articles where writers labeled him one of the top 2 C in football. I dont agree that he’s that good–he’s just not strong enough–but he IS a respected name.

Pabs–Carpenter would look bad vs anyone. He could barely bend over and tie his own shoes he was so fat and out of shape. His footspeed was so bad calling it that was a misnomer…

30. Starting LG Carpenter is looking to make believers out of all of you guys this year.

31. Azul–Thank you. Its been fashionable around here for the KC and the Sunshine Band members of the blog to parrot the idea that our line’s inadequacies were negated by our SB victory, and some have gone so far as to label our worst players as “beasts” or “above average” when they clearly were not.

I also agree, barring injury or more Conservatism from Bevell, this offense is primed to FINALLY fire on all cylinders, which we havent seen since the end of 2012. And may I remind you, we didnt have a Percy Harvin, Willson the TE, or Paul Richardson then!

I am expecting the line to be MUCH improved this year, and for the synergy between the line, Lynch, and the passing game to click into high gear.

Were going to win the SB running away. The Whiners will be crushed into oblivion. And Jim Harbarf will be entered into a Mental Asylum for his own protection–and that of his family. Trent Baalke’s head will explode in frustration…

32. Pabs–What I expect from Carpenter THIS year has nothing to do with how he performed LAST year. I dont care if he blows his man up on every single snap this year, he was awful, fat, and pathetically out of shape LAST season! He also seemed lackadaisical–no fire.

Carpenter played badly even vs weak competition last year. THIS season, I think he will be a decent LG. At least, I hope so…

33. Georgia–THe articles praising Unger were written before his injury in last years preseason. No one was saying anything other than Unger played hurt–and oh, he made the Pro Bowl despite being somewhat ineffective.

While he’s not a physical specimen, he’s a smart player with toughness Carpenter would do well to emulate. If he can stay healthy, I expect another Pro Bowl or four from him in the future.

34. Macabrevity says:

Any of you guys see this take on Sherman and Peterson? Nice to see one of the talking heads actually watching tape from time to time.

35. Maca–Interesting article, though the dude who says Sherm is underrated also says–presumably with a straight face–that Revis is the best corner in football. Revis WAS the best corner in football–three seasons ago. For the last two years, he’s been plagued by injuries and not 100%. There is not guarantee he will pick up where he left off, pre-injury, when he returns this year. Enough is enough; Revis is not the best corner, and hasnt been for a couple years running.

If Revis is the best, then by that logic three years ago Nnamdi Asomougha was the best…Asomougha WAS the best, pre-Revis, but his play the last four-five years since he left the Raiders wasnt even close to that level.

I would take Sherm over any cb in football now, but I have no problem with those who dont think he’s top dog. I do have a problem with those who insist guys like Peterson–who gets burned a lot and doesnt watch enough film, relying on pure athleticism to get by rather than knowledge and skill–or Revis, who USED to be the best back when the Seahawks werent a playoff team, are the best. Thats simply a stupid argument to make.

36. Macabrevity says:

Slave, I totally agree with you, the hat-tipping to Revis doesn’t seem to jibe with what looks like a more fact-based (though Yahoo-ish nonetheless) analysis than many are giving. Still, I’ve been thinking Sherm is grossly underrated by almost everyone, so it was nice to see it in print.

I too would take Sherm over any CB period…

37. montanamike2 says:

Me three.

38. SandpointHawk says:

Lord I hate it when we all agree…let’s gather around the campfire and sing Kumbaya….

39. Nah, I got a better idea; lets argue about the offensive line, if RW is elite or not, if he throws a great deep ball or not, if Sweezy is or aint a “Beast”, if Sweezy is or is not above average, or about whether or not the D-line will be better this year…

Oh, wait…thats what we’ve been doing.

I guess we could go back to discussing Andrew Luck…

Lol STTBM,

You missed the Sarcasm.

The way you had bashed the o-line ( except hyperbowie) last season it appeared very odd that you would now say Unger had name recognition.

41. Georgia–I never bashed Unger the man, nor his talent; he simply played through injuries that limited his effectiveness last year–as did Okung–and we were actually better off with Lem at C. Except Lem doesnt know the intricacies of the line calls or the tricks of D-linemen as well as Unger.

Carpenter was a fat slob last year, and played as if he didnt particularly care. McQ was simply washed up, and Sweezy still didnt know what the hell he was doing much of the year (though he did improve). Bowie wasnt very good at RT (maybe because he isnt one, ya think?!) but played very well at both G spots.

Thats pretty much been my take since week one last year. I havent really changed. The line regressed, mostly due to injuries but also due to other factors. I expect a good bit better play this year. I still dont think Bowie ever got a fair shot at either G position, and it pisses me off no end.

Again, nothing’s changed. And winning the SB in no way excused or negated the ocean of suck that was our O-line last year. And if one more fool suggests Lynch was anything less than SuperHuman last season, Ima lose it…;0

42. SandpointHawk says:

So much for an off season Kumbaya campfire….

Exactly!

That’s what folks were saying to you in the middle of the season last year when you were sure we would have little chance to make it to the Super Bowl with the o-line.

What folks were trying to get you to understand was that the o-line (as a group) could get up to average for the playoffs if they could get healthy & that would be good enough to help them get to & win the Super Bowl.

And that’s exactly what happened.

You can say what you want about how bad they played when injured because ( that was easy to do ) however I doubt too many will buy what you are trying to sell with this- ” they sucked in the playoffs too” Mumbo Jumbo.

44. Never said the line sucked in the playoffs; they were average or nearly so. Over the whole season, they were bad. In the SB, they were below avg vs the pass, but Seattle game planned for that eventuality. And the line was flat bad in run blocking vs Denver.

People got lost in the sheer volume of my comments regarding the line, and missed the forest for the trees in what I said.

45. I’m probably expecting more from this years line than anyone on here; I’ve just been burned too often and I’m still skeptical if the ZBS in general, and fat slow RT’s in particular lol!

46. And apologies to all for the sheer volume of comments: I find out tomorrow if nearly 20 years of busting my ass pays off, or if my career has dead-ended. There’s a lot riding on my proposed demotion and I’m trying not to wig out. I’m not sure if I can swallow my pride for my family anymore…

STTBM

And you are expecting the o-line to be much improved this year?

How so if all the same starting players are back except for RT?

Are you now buying into what we were telling you last year about the o-line being an average line when healthy?

I think they have a chance to get better but to say they will be much better is premature imo.

A lot has to happen for them to be much better than what they were at the end of last season

1- Someone has to win the RT position & it will either be a rookie or Bowie if he gets in shape & it won’t be a guarantee if he does.
    So the RT will take some time before it becomes an upgrade over last year.

2- Okung & Unger have to stay healthy.
    Big if!

3- Carp has to be anything but Carp from last year.
    Another big if.

4- Sweezy needs to keep getting better.
    Probably will happen.

5- Cable has to work more magic.

Considering you don’t have much faith in Cable & his system why do you think the O-line will be much improved this season?

Are you finally getting optimistic?

That would be cool if you are.

48. From the first Saints game to the 49ers playoff game, the Seahawks faced 7 straight top end Defenses. Naturally an average OL won’t look good vs those defenses. I pointed that out before that run of games, during that run and after that run.

What’s the alternative? Build the 49ers fortress OL that was flat out abused in the NFC Championship game? Gore had a terrible game and Kapernick was feeling the rush when he threw his last pass of the game. Kapernick couldn’t handle the pressure his OL allowed in the 4th quarter.

And I need to bring up a point regarding the constant bashing of Sweezy and Carpenter and Cable’s “stupidity.” Sometimes playing a player isn’t about playing the best player that game, but it’s about developing a player they can believe will be the best in the future, as long as they are serviceable now.

When Carroll came in and preached every job is open to competition in 2010, it was because every player on the 2009 team was terrible. Now, there are just a couple of jobs open to “competition.” Wilson can throw every ball to Sherman in practice and he’s still going to be the starter. Wagner can whiff on every tackle and he’ll still be the starter.

If they see a young player with upside who is worse than the starter, that young player might just get the nod. They thought Carpenter and Sweezy were those players over the past few years, played them with struggles and are now talking them up like they are the second coming of “Hutchinson.”

49. vichawkfan says:

Hey guys, there was someone on a thread few weeks back that knew of a source for a full season DVD of games package. Anyone know or recall where?

50. Ray_Maines says:

I can see Okung and Unger being healthy and therefore better, and both guards being better, but I don’t see how anybody on the roster is going to be better than Breno G. at the RT position, not this year anyway.

The only thing I know about the zone blocking scheme is that 20-25 years ago Denver used it and had a series of no-name 1,000 yard rushers. Maybe their linemen were better than I give them credit for, but the system worked just fine, thank you.

51. I will get back to you two; I’m busy killing brain cells, but suffice it to say, yes you have misunderstood me, and yes, I am optimistic re the line. I was all set to be more optimistic if Bowie was competing for the G spots, and Okung wasn’t still gimpy…

52. IF-IF-IF Carpenter has a good year at LG this season, that will do nothing for the fact that he was worthless for three prior seasons. Worthless.

If we can get 16 games out of Okung, I think our line will be relatively fine if Unger is 100%. Unger is more finese so having a fat slob on one side of him actually helps. I’ve seen Carp stonewall some guys before and he’s had a flash here and there of being a mauler, but that’s like saying Richie Sexon might be a .300 hitter because you saw him hit a bomb every once in awhile.

I have no worries about Okung and Unger if they are healthy for camp. I really don’t have any worries about Sweezy anymore either.

I worry about Carp at LG and I worry about RT for this year because I didn’t see enough from Bowie at that position for me to think he’ll be a good RT. If we go with Britt, I’ll worry because he’ll be a rookie and he obviously won’t be at the top of his game right off the bat (like pretty much almost every player in the history of the league).

Best wishes tomorrow, STTBM.

53. montanamike2 says:

Yeah, good luck tomorrow Slave.

54. jawpeace says:

Every one who is down on our offensive line needs to read this Bleacher article.

LOL if you are anything like me trying to guess the next team on the slide you will probably start saying Seattle Seahawks around 26. The result will SHOCK you.

“Matthews says. “This team is competitive. Very, very competitive. You walk in early in the morning for some breakfast, and there’s guys out here (Virginia Mason Athletic Center) already getting work in. Even that’s competitive — the time you eat breakfast.”

Even at breakfast??? I can see the following trash talk at breakfast.

Richard Sherman, “You see the way I covered those pancakes in syrup. Totally covered! Look your sorry ass pancakes still showing! Common get it together.”

Micheal Bowie, “Well I can eat more pancakes than you any day any time.” Just don’t tell coach Cable or he’ll be mad as he wants me to loose a few.”

Cam Chancelor, “Pancakes did not stand a chance against me. I smashed mine up and devoured them. Not one Pancake dare went across the middle of my plate again.”

Marshawn Lynch, I covered my pancakes in skittles. Because I am a bleep bleep Touchdown machine and skittles rain down on me where ever I bleep go.”

Earl Thomas, “Common on guys you are still talking about pancakes I ate mine already because I am sooo fast.” I am like ET flying all over. I am sooo fast those pancakes did not see me coming.”

55. montanamike2 says:

Hilarious Jawpeace.

56. MoSeahawk12 says:

Well said again pabuwal. I’ll add that even with below average rushing yards in the Superbowl, this team with this line lead the league in rushing for the entire playoffs even though they went against two of the toughest D’s in the Saints and 9ers. Marshawn dusted the Saints for 140 and the 9ers for 109. First back over 100 for the entire season to do that against the 9ers. Well above average and certainly not below. As far as the Superbowl yards for Lynch. Rewatch the game, the Broncos sold out for the run and their plan was to stop Lynch and have Wilson beat them. They really didn’t believe Wilson could go toe to toe and match Payton score for score. They forgot we had the best D in the league. Also, Marshawn pulled himself out mid third quarter and had his helmet off. He didn’t have any carries at all the entire 4th quarter. The team had decent yards thanks to a couple of Percy runs. Marshawn did get it going by scoring the first TD of the game.

57. jawpeace says:

Yahoo article showing the new Madden cover with Sherman, and yes they do have the picture. All I can say is talk to the hand. And common on man….

58. vichawkfan says:

Thanks Ray, but I was thinking of the entire season.

59. MonkeyButtMullett says:

A demotion means a downgrade in a job. A promotion is a better job.