Video of the Sherman-Bates fight from Q13 Fox

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 18, 2014 at 10:18 pm with 40 Comments »
June 20, 2014 3:10 am

As we noted in a prior post, everybody involved here talked it over and seemed to leave the field with no issues, some even laughing together. But, in this video, you can see how heated it was between Richard Sherman and Phil Bates at one point. We should also point out this is not uncommon at a football practice. In fact, there were fights at Cowboys and Ravens minicamp yesterday.

Video is here.

1. My favorite part was the Richardson bomb. So nice to see a guy who can flat out fly going deep.

I was one of the people who said the defense would be best with KJ in the middle and Smith on the outside (Irvin the other starting LB) but, man, no way… Bobby Wagner is the man. I want to keep that guy over any of our LBs. I know we can’t pay everyone, but if we could only keep one LB long-term, I hope it’s him. Love his attitude and fire.

2. vichawkfan says:

Agree bobby…..PRich is the real deal. Kid is hungry too.

3. montanamike2 says:

To me KJ Wright and Wagner are must keeps. I’m not down on Malcolm Smith at all, i just don’t prioritize him the same as the other two. I think Toomer is going to be popping eyes this year as well. From last night thread, i agree that if Carp plays well this year then either trade him or sign him to one year deals, too many times i’ve seen guys show up at the last minute, get their payday and then go back to underachieving. If Carp showed up to camp in shape his rookie year he might not have even needed surgery.

4. montanamike2 says:

Last year Michael, this year Richardson. That’s why it’s nearly impossible to mock draft this team, hopefully both are the studs we think they are.

5. Ewalters7354 says:

Montana,Carp tore his ACL his rookie year so.the surgery was needed.

To me he sucks,and if Britt beats Bowie for the RT spot I would send Carp straight to the bench.But obviously Pete and Company like the guy.

6. yankinta says:

I’m rooting for James Carpenter,,, let’s hope he plays at a Pro Bowl level and get a 1st Tier Contract in Free Agency,, leaving us with a 3rd round Compensatory picks…. :)

yup yup, been a huge fan of Bobby Wagner since day 1. Even when people were doubting him when he came back from injury and didn’t play well, I never lost faith.

I believe JS/PC FO is working on KJ extension right now. Looks like Malcolm will leave us in FA, hopfully he can get a good contract leaving us with a 5th or better compensatory pick….

7. montanamike2 says:

Yank, i’m with you on all those comp picks. Next year we’ll get a gem or two with the ones we already have coming.

8. FleaFlicker says:

We can only keep so many exceptional players and stay under the cap. Don’t get me wrong, I love Bobby Wagner. Dude is a hell of a player and competitor. But I also have a lot of faith in Ken Norton Jr. and the as-yet-untested depth of our LB corps (specifically Toomer and the new kid from Boston College).

Speaking of LBs, does anybody think Heath Farwell is in danger of getting cut this year? One of the oldest guys on the team, almost zero dead money ($168k)and $1.5 million of payroll ($1.25 base + $250k roster bonus).

9. chuck_easton says:

Flea,

Every player is in danger of being cut except Harvin, Sherman, Thomas, Baldwin, Bennett, Wilson, Lynch, and Chancellor.

Those are the guaranteed guys.

Anybody else better come ready to fight for a job.

10. jawpeace says:

I would love to hear from our new DT Williams. Everyone talks about our intensity in practice. Well I would love to hear the old vet talk about it, especially since he has gone through more years and coaches than anyone on the team.

And no wonder Bates got pissed off Sherm was on him worse than Mike Tyson on Evander Holyfield’s ear.

11. I think montanamike is refering to Carp coming to camp healthy, fat, and out of shape and then getting hurt (ACL).

12. That play by Maxwell was magnificent!

And I have to say, that throw by RW–and the catch by Richardson–was what Ive been bitching about Seattle NOT doing last year; throwing AHEAD of the WR on deep routes, hitting the WR in stride. That was a fantastic throw and an even better catch!

More of both, please!

Looks like Bates was about to put a whooping on Sherman before others stepped in.

He needs to learn though that the helmet punches will do him no good. Lol.

14. Yup, Georgia, it looked like Bates was about to lay a buttwhipping on Sherm! Baldwin was gonna get a piece of that action too lol!

I had no problem with ET’s words regarding the scuffle. I do think the fighting shouldnt have happened; Sherm was clearly fouling Bates and Bates had every right to fight back. And ET should not be tackling Walters.

Just so long as no one gets seriously hurt…

STTBM

Now you see what a legit deep threat can do for a QBs confidence.

The day of the hit and miss route running receivers (for Wilson) are gone.

Well, there is one more to let go.
    Who could that be?

I love Thomas but it’s nice to see angry Doug go after him by saying he needs a butt kicking.

I like to see the offense not back down.
    They have some tough defensive teams to play again this year & practicing against the best will only make them tougher.

17. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

Lockette will be that one more!

I’m still saying Rice is here this season. And Rice actually does run precise routes and he makes the tough catches.

18. montanamike2 says:

STTBM did you text me on Tuesday? I just got 2 messages from you. What’s with Verizon? Is that for upcoming or is it over?

19. montanamike2 says:

Man do we have versatility both on”D” and “O”.

20. LarryLee says:

Man, I love speed on a team, especially offense. Harvin, Richardson, Michaels all played very little last year. OC must feel like a kid that got a new chemistry set for Xmas. He can’t wait to mix up something that explodes!

21. AzulVerde says:

I realize it’s early, but wow! From the film and practices I’ve seen so far Richardson and Norwood are gonna be awesome. If they can develop a good feel for one another (Wilson and the receivers) Watch out this year. I know we are run 1st and that won’t change, but the play action game as well as the Big plays is gonna explode this year. I’m not even including Baldwin or who already has that syncroscinty with Wilson or Harvin in the slot.

I also expect to see Sidney Rice and Zach Miller be HUGE Red Zone threats this year. I was excited last year with the teams possibilities. It’s hard for me to believe myself, but despite the extremely tough schedule I’m even more excited for the season then last year. I think we go 13-3 again this year even with the tough schedule. I won’t make predictions on playoffs yet… but if we get HFA Watch out, we might just repeat.

My2CentsWorth

Agree Chuck,

And Rice was an underrated deep threat too imo.

As has been said here countless times blazing speed is great but it doesn’t alone make for a deep threat.

Agree about Lockette too.

It has to be so frustrating to coaches & QBs when they see a receiver make an all pro catch on one play & on the next make an all bust play.

Just can’t have that unless the team is lacking depth at WR like last year.

23. tealskin says:

Chuck- You list the 100% guaranteed guys and don’t include Avril, Wagner, Maxwell, Mebane, Ryan, Hauschka, Unger, Okung… Competition is great but think you’re overstating how open this roster is.

24. yankinta says:

Lockette will be competing for the last Roster spot with Rice. I’d like Sidney Rice to win the last spot but I think Lockette will get it because he’s such a good Special Team player.

I do hope that we get to keep both, but that’ll mean, we either go with 2 TE (cut McCoy) and/or keep only 2 QBs (Put BJ on P-Squad and try to trade T-Jack)…. that’d be the perfect scenario for me. :)

25. Blazing speed doesnt automatically make you a deep threat, but a lack of speed nowadays pretty much mean youre not gonna be a deep threat. Rice is not a deep threat, and the only way he makes the team is if a) we keep 6 WR’s, and b) someone is hurt.

Rice has never been underrated. The 8 million a year man is the poster child for OVERrated.

Montanamike–I texted you last night, so no worries. Just wanted to know if you were interested in that concert. Its an acoustic show, looks like tickets are 30 bucks which is steep, but he doesnt tour much…

26. montanamike2 says:

When is it? I am interested.

27. montanamike2 says:

I don’t do mosh pits.

28. montanamike2 says:

just kidding. But really i don’t mosh.

29. Me neither. I like loud shows too, but no moshing for me; I was too old for that crap when I was 18 lol! (Its August 5th, which sucks cause its a Tuesday. Im waiting to hear if I got the demotion Ive been after for years..if I get it, I may not be able to take the time off work, but I’ll know by next week…)

Did you watch that video clip of Richardsons 51 yard TD?! Sick! The guy was wide open, and it was cool to see RW drop it in ahead of the reciever…

30. montanamike2 says:

That was awesome! I feel like we now have Harvin and Harvin lite.

31. HawkfaninMT says:

August 5th? Montana? Concert? I think people are coming to Missoula! Please let me know if you do! I’m not going to the concert, but preconcert local brews are right up my alley!

32. montanamike2 says:

Your on for sure!

33. It’s been many years since the Seahawks have had a WR that can take the top off a Defense and Richardson looks to be that guy. It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up playing the third most snaps at WR this year.

It was pointless to throw a deep route in front of a Seahawk WR because in most cases they were slower than the DB covering them. That’s been true of the top 4 Seahawks WRs in any given year over the past 10 years. The best bet in many cases was throwing the jump ball and allowing their athleticism to go up and get it.

I don’t see how the team can keep both Norwood and Rice. To me, they both accomplish the same thing – giving a short QB a slow, big bodied WR with a great catch radius – which is critical for a shorter QB.

Lol, Injuries aside Rice has proven he can get deep in today’s NFL without blazing speed.
    Does he get the separation like some faster WRs do? No.
    Does he do it as often? No.

Remember Rice has a catching radius pretty much unmatched by most deep threats. He doesn’t need much separation (if any at all) & that’s what I mean by underrated deep threat.

And he also at times can get really good separation (like in the New England game two seasons ago) when Wilson threw him that perfect deep ball when the game was on the line.

Yes Wilson can throw a good deep ball & Rice can run a good deep route.

He may not be a true deep threat but up until now he has been closer to it then any other receiver this FO has had.

I hope he stays healthy.

Pabs, I agree to some extent but it’s a long season & not all our receivers are as physical &/or durable as a receiver like Harper.

36. HawkfaninMT and MontananMike2–The concert is in Bozeman on August 5th. The guy is a singer-songwriter from Kentucky named Chris Knight. HawkfaninMT, I get to Missoula at least a couple times a month during the week and on weekends every so often. Let me know if you ever want to grab a beer. It would be cool to get several of us together, I wonder if Grizindabox would be interested?

Pabs–I saw at least 8 occasions last year where the WR burned the corner, and got behind them, only to have to wait on the ball. You guys act like that never happened, and it boggles my mind. Like I said, RW was probably taught to do it that way, but blaming in on WR’s who cant get separation is just wrong and untrue.

The biggest instances were the TD to Kearse that won the game in Carolina, and the fourth-down bomb in the NFC Title Game, not to mention the long ball on an RW scramble play to Doug Baldwin that should have resulted in a TD and didnt in that same game. In every instance, the WR got behind the D, only to have to wait for the ball.

Another was vs the Vikings or Saints, cant remember which (I think Saints) where Harvin got open down the right sideline and was streaking downfield for a sure TD; RW lobbed the ball far too high, and he had to wait on it forever, and the DB knocked it away.

These plays happened far more frequently than many seem to remember. Were we even watching the same team?

37. Georgia–Rice’s play vs NE was really cool, but it was two years ago. Expecting a guy who isnt even practicing with the team to regain that form is like wishing in one hand and you know what in the other…IT would be great if the guy could get his knees etc right, but I sure am not banking on it. Even if he does stick, I dont think he’ll be the player he was two years ago.

STTBM,

Did you see the part in the beginning of my post ” injuries aside”?

Rice is still relatively young & cheap this year so if he has anything left in the tank why not keep him around?

No one is expecting him to have a lot of touches.

39. HawkfaninMT says:

@sttbm: aug 5th Paul McCartney is playing at Wa-Griz… That’s the concert I thought you guys may be discussing.

In any event, we all should absolutely get together for a game. Is Griz in Missoula? I thought he was up in GFalls for some reason

40. HawkfaninMT–I thought McCartney cancelled? I didnt manage to get tickets anyhow..bummer.

I just assumed Griz was in Missoula.

Yeah, it’d be awesome to get together for a game in Missoula. Is there anywhere to get the game on WITH sound?!