Morning Links: Williams ready to fill a role

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 18, 2014 at 1:40 am with 44 Comments »
June 18, 2014 1:42 am

Good morning.

Day 2 of minicamp is on the horizon, and it will be Day 2 with the Seahawks for Kevin Williams.

At 6-foot-5 and 311 pounds, Williams is one of the leaner defensive tackles you’ll see. With so many built like an ice chest, he appears more like a refrigerator.

One of the most intriguing things Williams said Tuesday is that he went through some stats before deciding to join the Seahawks. Notably, snap counts.

Williams was on the field for 796 snaps last season. Michael Bennett led the Seahawks with 643 snaps. Tony McDaniel played 562. Brandon Mebane played 558 snaps.

Assuming Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams are healthy, it’s conceivable Williams may have his workload cut almost in half. Which leaves the question: How effective could he be following such a reduced amount of wear and tear?

“I think if I’m playing 500 plays versus 700 plays at this age I can definitely still get after the quarterback,” Williams, 33, said. “Excited to get going and we’ll see. Hopefully I can earn some of those reps.”

Williams said his role will involve first and second down. He also hopes to work his way into reps with the nickel package. One thing was clear with Williams. He’s been around the block: He was calm and casual during his first media swarm. He fit right in at practice.

Our Dave Boling wrote more about Williams. You can read that here.

Links:

> Mike Tanier of Sports On Earth says the Seahawks secondary is moving up the ranks of all-time great secondaries.

> Member of the Darrington High School football team were at minicamp yesterday. They, like many other Darrington residents, continue to try to put the Oso mudslide behind them.

> A photo gallery from the first day of minicamp.

> San Francisco cornerback Eric Wright has reportedly decided to retire. He’s 28.

> Jim Harbaugh is not happy that Vernon Davis and guard Alex Boone did not show for mandatory minicamp.

> A remembrance of Chuck Knoll from Rocky Bleier.

1. SandpointHawk says:

Boy, I’m liking this Kevin Williams signing more each day.

2. montanamike2 says:

I love the signing, it makes up for a lot of the player losses this off season.
    It took me about an hour to read all the posts on the Eric Wright article, so funny, i’m used to Whiners trolls around us from time to time, nice to see them get it back. I was all giddy about the Whiners problems this year until i heard about the Lynch holdout, so glad he showed up in good faith. Now i can get back to enjoying the Harbaugh/Aldon Smith/Vernon Davis drama.
    That last second Sherman play in the NFC championship game has really destroyed their chemistry, while we are getting better and have the best secondary locked up for awhile. Such a good time to be a Hawks fan.

3. montanamike2 says:

I do believe Denver improved a lot this off season, if they make the SB the score will be much closer, like 43-17. I hope we can get HFA again this year.

4. HawkFromDay1 says:

RE: Denver – I don’t think you can buy a defense. Or at least the Hawks never could. Need we remember the Levon Kirkland, John Randle, Bobby Taylor era?

Harbaugh isn’t happy? Surprise. Niners primed for a fall – 3 straight NFC championship games and no ring? That kind of thing doesn’t keep going forever. Couple injuries (or retirements apparently!) a bad loss or two and Harbaugh will lose the locker room. Called it. Drop mic.

5. yankinta says:

The most impressive thing about Kevin Williams is that he said he’s coming in to compete/earn for a Roster Spot. He understands it doesn’t matter if he has had multiple Pro Bowls or All Pros seasons… Love that attitude.

I’m very happy with the Williams signing too.

And I can’t wait to hear more reports on Marsh.

7. montanamike–lol!

HawkfromDay1–Kirkland was a good player, and when Holmy cut him for showing up fat, our run D went utterly to crap. Holmy knew he blew it, but he always had to be a hardass with guys who werent his “boys”…Kirkland slowly got his fatt but in shape, and ended up playing well elsewhere for a couple years while our run D was atrocious…

Dont remember much about Taylor, but we had terrible luck with Free Agent corners getting hurt and not doing much, from Nate Odomes blowing his knee in camp 2 years in a row, to Andre Dyson getting hurt and coming back his second year as if he didnt care…Dyson was sooo good his first year here when he actually was onfield…

Randle was like a lot of Seahawks FA acquisitions–one good year followed by a serious decline the second year…Grant Wistrom, Patrick Kerney, etc…

Better to draft and train up than to poach overpaid aging stars, for sure. But sometimes signing an older vet works out…you just have to be careful.

8. Georgia–Im looking forward to watching Mayowa, Marsh, and Jeffcoat for sure, not to mention Hill, Williams & Williams at DT (sounds like a law firm, eh Chuck?!)..

9. I remember when Bobby Taylor used to completely blanket Michael Irvin. Irvin could do nothing against him. Too bad that was when Taylor was still with the Eagles.

10. montanamike2 says:

These 1 year aging vets thing works well, especially if they’re multiple all pros.

11. vichawkfan says:

Jason Hatcher needs arthroscopic knee surgery now makes the Williams signing even more awesome.

12. FleaFlicker says:

Redskins just had their trademark cancelled by the US Patent Office?

Still can’t tell whether or not this is a hoax.

13. rramstad says:

Not a hoax. Redskins trademark canceled by USPTO. The ownership will appeal and drag this out but the writing is on the wall.

14. Does anyone know where the official 90-man roster is available? Is Horace Miller still on the roster, or was he never offered a contract after tryouts? I haven’t heard much about him yet, which might mean nothing, or could mean something else. I’m pulling for him.

15. yankinta says:

Hmmmm,, looks like we won’t need to extend Maxwell. Let’s hope he plays well and get a nice contract in free agency next year, in order for us to get 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for him…

16. Southendzone says:

Hey JM, I don’t know where to get the current roster list but Horace was offered a contract and is on the team.

17. chuck_easton says:

Go to the team’s official website and the current Roster is available.

Yank,

I can’t believe you’re foolish enough to agree with Chadiha.

Well, yes I can.

Check out the first comment under his article for a funny but true laugh.

19. yankinta says:

lol,, just read it. Nice comment. I’m aware of all of his previous articles regarding Seahawks,, that’s why he’s a fool to me. I guess I need to rethink my position,, lol not really.

I still don’t think that we should redo Marshawn’s contract.

Giving out Contracts based on what they have done to earn it Versus what they will do to earn it, is the biggest difference between the two FO led by Tim Ruskell and JS/PC.

We all know which one will give us a Seahawks Dynasty. :)

20. Are you guaranteeing a dynasty in the next 3-5 years? I mean really Guaranteed? I hope so….

21. Yankinta – you think Marshawn won’t be worth it this year, i.e. 1,200 yards, 10+ TDs, setting the tempo on offense again, getting positive yards where no one else would even come close and punishing would be tacklers? If you do think he will do this, then wouldn’t be a earn it type of situation?

22. yankinta says:

Yeah, pretty much…. isn’t this exciting?? I still remember when I started talking about Dynasty in half way through 2012 season,, of course people on this blog called me all kinds of names,, now it’s catching on.. :)

23. FleaFlicker says:

Marshawn is certainly a key piece of this team, and I want to have him on the roster….but Christine Michael will be a 1,000+ yd RB…the question is when.

24. montanamike2 says:

I think if we have an improved o-line, Lynch, Michael, and Turbin could be epic. Add speedster WR’s and dual threat TE’s…..

Turbin might have something to say about it if he keeps improving like the reports say he is so far.

26. Chadiha is a major chode.

27. Or is that choad?!

I thought you were talking about Duck dynasty Yank.

29. montanamike2 says:

I thought it was that TV show with Linda Evens.

30. montanamike2 says:
  31. montanamike2 says:

I’ll have to ask Bobby this one, Monday i was in town doing errands and the line at the store was a little busy. I noticed the guy in front of me wearing a Vikings hat, while i was wearing a Seahawks cap( my nice one), i thanked him for developing our talent and mentioned how it was nice to have an NFL farm team and he got a bad attitude and looked at me like he wanted to punch me in the face. Now i ask you, where is the civility in sports anymore?

32. montanamike2 says:

Is that just a Minnesota thing?

33. SandpointHawk says:

Oh montanamike2, you just made my day…thanks for the laugh.

34. WiscCory says:

MM2 – my guess is he’s not really a diehard fan, otherwise he would’ve mentioned Hutch.

35. Didn’t the Vikings win just 1 playoff game with the immortal Steve Hutchinson? Why would any football fan brag about a period where their team won just 1 playoff game?

36. Montanamike–LOL! Still, I would trade Harvin straight up for Cordarrelle Patterson in a heartbeat…And Nate Burleson was never as good as he was supposed to be. Ive never been so disappointed a WR’s career, except maybe Derek Mayes after his one good year…

37. Heard that Sherm went after Harvin in practice today — any truth to that? and if so what happened??

If true – no worries about the LOB getting paid and packing it in.

38. chkn_liddle says:

I worked as an OB/GYN in Richmond in the late 80’s, early 90’s. I’ll never forget the morning I delivered Russell Carrington Wilson. Before I could hand the wee lad to his proud parents, he grabbed my scrubs with his tiny, yet surprisingly large hands and said “Doc, I just want to be great and I guarantee I will make the Seahawks a dynasty as their QB” I stared in amazement and said “Nah, you’re too short kid!” So yes, Yankster was first.

39. Every team has good fans and every team has bad fans. That’s just the way it is.

40. Ray_Maines says:

What’s good, what’s bad?

I think I’m a good fan. I can defend against all the criticism, and blather on about the good stuff, but I’m not going to get all pissy with anybody dressed in purple or red. In fact I had a very nice conversation with a GB Packer fan a few weeks ago who will be at the week one game. We both want our favorite teams to win and we both think our grand daughters are the cutest babies in the world. I don’t remember the guys name, but we’re both good fans and friends. Go ‘Hawks!!