Morning Links: Minicamp starting up

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 17, 2014 at 10:20 am with 46 Comments »
June 17, 2014 10:20 am

Good morning.

The Seahawks start their three-day mandatory minicamp this afternoon. We’re about to find out if Marshawn Lynch will show.

Links:

> I wrote that Lynch may not show, but there are plenty of others to watch.

> More on Lynch from 710 ESPN.

> Tom Cable was on 710 this morning talking about the offensive line and Lynch. Not surprisingly, he said he’s not concerned if Lynch doesn’t show this week. He had positive things to say about James Carpenter and J.R. Sweezy.

> Seahawks.com explains how the team got its name.

> Pro Football Focus looks at the Seahawks’ depth chart.

> PFF also looked at how quarterbacks did with varying time to throw. The first level is with less than or equal to two seconds. Russell Wilson was in the middle of the pack there.

> ESPN on the receivers in the NFC West, centered around what the Rams need.

> 49ers linebacker Dan Skuta says he is healthy after being banged up all of last season.

1. Singularitarian says:

Big on sweezy I see

Here’s hoping Lynch shows.

3. We’ve paid our dues with bad Sweezy the lackluster guard and now we’re about to reap the benefits of a guy who has now played two full seasons at that position and has gained oodles of experience. It’s going to all come together for him this year and he’s going to be a solid performer. Not Hutch, mind you, but a good guard to is an asset (which he hasn’t been) intead of a liability (which he has been).

Still wish Carpenter played for the 49ers, Cards, or Rams. I’m not sure why Cable doesn’t like playing the best players at their respective positions? You’d think he’d have learned something from Mr Happy by now? I guess this is why he still hasn’t gotten another chance to be the head guy. These guys may know more about football than all of us combined, but sometimes they can be wrong too and I’m pretty sure that this is an example of it (Carp getting first crack at LG).

4. Carlsonkid says:

Sweezy & Carpenter ; I just … gawd , could we PLEASE just get some average pass blocking out of the guards this year ?!

I cringed when the Hawks passed on Sua-Filo in the draft . RW running around like a raped ape with his hair on fire has to end sometime soon before our franchise quarterback gets injured . Cable thinks everyone including my dead grandma might be a decent lineman . His Frankenstein-guard mentality is seriously frustrating ; let’s be honest – we won the Superbowl despite what could only be catagorized as mediocre-at-best line play . Here’s hoping Bailey & Bowie can really show something this season , because Carpenter and Sweezy are rotating turnstiles .

5. Southendzone says:

ok raped ape is my new favorite saying. thanks Carlson, that is a gem.

6. HawkFromDay1 says:

The whole O-line thing is weird: did we consciously decide not to pay guys at that position group? If so has the super bowl victory validated that approach (rightly or wrongly?)? And can they continue winning with these dudes? I have no answers…

Is Cable a great coach? I think so. Does that mean he has a great eye for talent? Not necessarily. (see also: Mike Holmgren)

Going for Socratic post of the day.

7. jchawks08 says:

He’s about that action, boss.

8. montanamike2 says:

I’m glad to hear Lynch showed up, i hope something happens positively.
    I think his lack of leverage helps a lot, this is where having the next man up really helps.

I think Sweezy had the least amount of sacks allowed by all the starting O-lineman last year.

He looked to be turning the corner around playoff time & looked like the overall best O-lineman through the Super Bowl.

Throw him a bone for Pete’s sake!

11. Yes, Georgia, we most definitely saw the Sweezy the second half last year play better than the Sweezy of the start of last year and play better than Sweezy the rookie.

Sweezy is one guy I’m not concerned about in ’14.

Good to see Lynch show up.

12. Carlsonkid says:

Good for Shawn ! Glad he showed up : )

Thanks Southendzone , glad you liked it !

13. AzulVerde says:

Not to pull a Yank and say I told you so… However, this is the exact reason I was not up in arms over Lynch’s supposed hold out till he “didn’t show”.

The problem is even with him showing, the media will try to drag this out and keep it a story. I really hope the distraction of this (even if some of the speculation about him wanting more money) doesn’t keep Beast from being his beastly self.

MyNicklesWorth

14. AzulVerde says:

*(even if some of the speculation about him wanting more money is true)

15. jawpeace says:

Just watched the NFL film on Jeffcoat and at the end of it they said that Jackson should hear his name called at the second or third round! He also was an All-American – at the University of Texas, where he won the Ted Hendricks Award as the best defensive end in college football last season while collecting 13 sacks, 22 tackles for losses and team-leading 86 tackles. How in the world did he go undrafted in seven rounds???? Crazy…. He has a good chance to be another chip on his shoulder Hawk player.

16. PFT Reports that Lynch has showed up for mini-camp!

17. jchawks08 says:

Oh yea, we’ll be going through the same thing with Lynch when Training Camp is about to start, it sounds like. Will he show or won’t he?!?

18. montanamike2 says:

Yankster has been a lot better this year, i have no doubt he freaked out when we drafted Wilson, he just didn’t post it immediately. I would have a beer with him and hope that it brings unity to the blog, i think most people here would. I wanted Wilson since i saw the Gruden interview, but in all honesty, i never dreamed he would be this good, and i didn’t think we’d even see him for at least 2-3 years after he got drafted. I won’t claim to be his biggest fan though because of his association with Bieber whom i actually signed a petition to send him back to Canada. I’m proud to be dual citizen but between him and Brittany Spears, i’m embarrassed.

19. montanamike2 says:

jawpeace that’s what i’m saying! How did he not get drafted?

20. jchawks08 says:

Hah! That’s funny Montana. Also, if you were to tell me I could pick one Seahawk to party with for a night, and I mean P.A.R.T.Y. with, RW would be probably right at the bottom of the list. :D

21. montanamike2 says:

Me too, he’d be the last guy i’d want to party with.

Wouldn’t it be something if Carp & Sweezy become two of the better Guards in the NFL this year?

Just in time to lose them to another team because we won’t have much of anything left (money wise)to keep them here.

Decisions decisions.

It’s just down right tough to be a TNT blogger GM these days.

Lol.

23. chkn_liddle says:

” would have a beer with him”

at least 5 yrs til that’s legal with the Yank

24. montanamike2 says:

Could be the case.

25. yankinta says:

lol, nice!! smh…

26. montanamike2 says:

It’s good to have a sense of humor.

27. Macabrevity says:

Jawpeace – I can explain the situation with Jeffcoat if you want. To start, he had an underwhelming year at Texas, under-producing mightily. He followed it up with an extremely poor combine, which pretty much sealed the deal. To really bury him, the fact that he comes from such poor bloodlines (his father was a bust and never did anything in the NFL) it’s pretty clear why he went undrafted. I heard he actually was only invited to Hawks mini-camp as a favor by Ken Norton.

28. Macabrevity says:

Guys, call me crazy but I’m starting to buy into the rhetoric on Carp and Sweezy.

And for anyone with SRDD (sarcasm recognition deficiency disorder) I’m a big Jeffcoat fan and as stumped as anyone, but that gives him the mandatory shoulder chip and with his perfect LEO build/athleticism, I’m happy he landed in the right place to make everybody eat the brown stuff on their decision to pass.

29. Macabrevity says:

Marshawn – welcome back! And for all of those in radio-land saying the Hawks should cut bait….

Go back to watching NBA you hosers!!!!!

30. Southendzone says:

Hey after a superbowl year, I’m believing anything they tell me. If they say Sweezy & Carp are pro-bowl guards this year, then book that bet for me at the Mirage Las Vegas.

the UDFA’s we picked up are the most intriguing part of this offseason for me. Gilliam, Miller, & Jeffcoat, wondering how they will all play out.

31. yankinta says:

Macabrevity,, just because Marshawn showed up doesn’t mean he will not hold out. He still can hold out if he wants a new contract…. I hope not but if he does, we’ll have no choice but to cut bait. Hopefully trade him for a 3rd rounder or better…

32. AzulVerde says:

From Previous Thread… Yank, I hear you on the Russell Wilson thing I do. I think many of us at least were hopeful about him very early on. I grew up in Wisconsin and still follow Badger Football :) So seeing him there I was fairly certain he had a NFL career ahead of him. (Although would have never guessed Seattle would grab him) Once I saw the Gruden QB camp, I was even more intrigued. What sealed the deal though was watching the Preseason Game against Denver he evaded so many tackles that game I was just blown away. Then in the… Second 1/2 I think it was. Wilson was being taken to the ground by 2 defenders but just before he hits the ground (at a weird angle mind you) He manages to throw the ball downfield about 20 yards to an open receiver. THAT was my Aha moment. I just knew then he was going to be our starter and that we had something special..

So just to mess with a “A little” Yank, you weren’t the only one who was calling RW as great QB early on. *Grin

My2CentsWorth

33. yankinta says:

AzulVerde,, lol, I see. well that’s fine, I won’t argue with you there. But to me, predicting RW would be great is one thing but predicting RW is on a much higher playing level than Andrew Luck is something else.

I doubt that you’ve been saying RW is a Much better player than Luck ever will be, from day one. :)

34. jchawks08 says:

lol oh Yank. Yank, Yank, Yank.. You just don’t quit do you? Persistent little cuss.

35. montanamike2 says:

Lets wait another year or two before we label Luck a bust. I take the approach that he’s pretty good already and has all the intangibles to be great.

Before the 2012 draft I wrote all the QBs down on separate pieces of paper & put them all together into a container & picked out one of the names for the Seahawks to draft.

It was destiny! It was Russell Wilson!

Ok, so that didn’t happen.

But I was really high on Weeden before the draft.

Much like (Azu) said, Wilson nailed it in the pre season & gave us all a preview of what was to come.
    And the more you researched him the more he would grow on you.

37. AzulVerde says:

Yank, no arguments from me. I don’t/didn’t follow Andrew Luck. So I had zero opinion either way. I didn’t get into the whole RG3 vs Wilson comparisons either like many did. And for me Great QB is great QB, not much sense in my mind comparing one to another. I know there is always who’s the best argument, but I just don’t think that way.

RW is a very very good QB with room to become GREAT. Andrew Luck is above average QB with room to become GREAT as well. I would even argue he has higher ceiling potential. But potential doesn’t equal what a player turns out to be. It will be Years before we have some semblance of who is the better QB.

For now, who cares. As far as I’m concerned I’ll just watch RW and say Go Hawks.

My5¢Worth

38. yankinta says:

AzulVerde,, lol my goal is to help those that have been brainwashed about luck. No matter how much they resist… they will eventually see the light. lol, just kidding :)

39. yankinta says:

Still a little Jealous of Broncos for getting Cody,, but I’m sure JS/PC knew a lot more than I did when they picked Paul Richardson…

40. Luck has no running game, and kept winning after losing his best WR. He makes throws RW can only dream about–especially deep throws, and caught both All Pros ET and Sherm napping multiple times, and flat out beat Seattle.

Yeah, he’s a good qb and going to be great. Does he make mistakes? Yep, all young qb’s do. Does he throw too many picks? Yep, most do. Look at Favre’s early years, look at John Elway’s early years…they clearly improved from their first year or two. Montana, etc, the list goes on…

If you look at RW’s interceptions per attempt, his ratio isnt that great. Luck has to take the entire offense on his shoulders, while RW has never had to do that–maybe the Atlanta playoff game, but that was vs Prevent D.

REgardless, the jury is still out. But to say Luck isnt good is flat stupid. Just like claiming RW is the best qb in the NFL is stupid. Rogers, Manning, Brees, Brady, heck even the jerk in San Diego can make legit claims at being better.

41. yankinta–Its rude, trollish behavior to insist that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is “brainwashed”. I didnt even have TV until last year, and its only on for Football. I watched Luck on YouTube, and in games both college and in the Pros. Admittedly, most were after the fact, but I can say Im certainly not someone whose opinions fit with Mass Perception or are heavily influenced by Media, etc. And I think most folks are that way….

Unless you like being picked on, just for the attention, you might want to dispense with a) calling those who disagree with you brainwashed and b) Bragging all the time.

Time will tell on Latimer. I liked the kid the Eagles drafted better myself, and I loved Martavis Bryant, who could end up starting for the Stealers. As long as Richardson can stay healthy, I think we’ll be glad they drafted him.

42. I meant most folks on this blog are not brainwashed…

43. Bobbyk–I bet you Carp outplays Sweezy this year. Sweeze probably is another year away from “getting it”. I think both improve, but Carp has another year in the NFL and Sweeze is still learning.

While Sweezy cleaned up the sacks, he was inconsistent as hell in the run game, and still allowed a ton of pressure to flush RW out of the pocket; and pressure from up the gut is the worst–it totally ruins the pocket.

Im definitely hoping for a large improvement from them both, but not really holding my breath. At this point, its clear that they could both suck in practice and Micheal Bowie could play lights out, and unless Sweezy and Carp DIE, Cable will start them. Heck, since Sweezy looks like Frankenstein and plays like FrankenGuard, I bet Cable in his man-crush would re-animate Sweezy’s corpse or prop his dead ass up out there at RG before letting Bowie play…

44. akjester says:

I had really wished the Seahawks drafted Nick Foles instead. I’m glad I was wrong, but Foles looks pretty dang good too. That was an odd draft.