Morning Links: Bennett wants Lynch to cash in

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 16, 2014 at 11:07 am with 29 Comments »
June 16, 2014 11:07 am

Good morning.

It’s no surprise to hear support from other players for Marshawn Lynch’s reported pursuit of more money. Former Seahawks Jordan Babineaux was the first to say something. Michael Bennett added himself to that list Monday morning during his regular appearance on NFL AM.

“Come back, Marshawn, come back! We need you,” Bennett told NFL AM on Monday. “Without Marshawn, we wouldn’t win a Super Bowl. Obviously he’s one of the best running backs in the game, and he feels like he should be paid like one of the best backs in the game. And, of course, I agree with him. I mean, for a guy to take those kind of hits in the NFL and continue to do it at a high level?”

One of the flaws in Bennett’s logic is that Lynch is already paid like one of the best running backs in the game.

You can watch the Bennett brothers here.

Minicamp starts tomorrow. We’ll see if Lynch shows. We’ll also be able to hear from Pete Carroll on the topic if Lynch does not.

If Lynch does not show, he won’t be the only player in the league holding out. San Francisco tight end Vernon Davis has already declared he will be holding out. He explained in a column at MMQB:

In 2010 I signed a five-year, $37 million contract extension with $23 million guaranteed. It was the biggest contract for a tight end in league history. Four years later, and I’m playing at a higher level than I was then, which brings me to why I’m holding out. It’s all about getting paid what you deserve. It’s not that complicated. I want the 49ers to win the Super Bowl, and I want to be on the field this summer working toward that goal, but I have to worry about my future first. Most of my teammates and many players in the NFL understand that. A few don’t. Behind closed doors, they’ll say they’re all about the team and would run through a brick wall for the organization. But when you look closer, they’re doing things to contradict themselves. I can’t listen to anyone but my family and my advisors, because those are the people who are going to be there when football inevitably dumps me.

Threatening to withhold service is the only leverage players have in a league where they can be thrown on the scrap heap so quickly. Even talented players like Davis and Lynch.

Also in that column, Davis talked about the NFC title game:

As athletes, we like to say we’ve moved on entirely from losses, pouring focus into next season. Often, that’s not true. Every once in a while, while I’ve been traveling this summer or working out or spending time with my family, I think about that NFC Championship Game against Seattle—the one Richard Sherman correctly described as the real Super Bowl.

A few things I remember:

• I’ve never sweated so much in a football game.
  • I’ve never heard so much trash talk in a football game.
  • I’ve never been more optimistic that we were going to get the job done as I was on that last drive.

You know what happened, of course; Sherman tipped Colin Kaepernick’s end zone attempt to Michael Crabtree, turning it into a game-winning interception. Kudos to the Seahawks, who won a Super Bowl with a defense that isn’t as simple as the players like to boast. I don’t know how they went about trying to stop the rest of their opponents, but they spent a lot of effort mixing up coverages against us.

Links:

> Our Dave Boling says Lynch has given the Seahawks more than what they paid for.

> Some interesting comments from Kevin Williams, including that he turned down more money from New England, Minnesota threw him a last-second offer and that Antoine Winfield had good things to say about the Seahawks.

> A video interview with Paul Richardson from May 29 that was posted June 9. In it, Richardson said he’ll be returning punts. Obviously, the interview is a bit dated and this is a claim from a rookie player.

> Seahawks.com talks with Jackson Jeffcoat about what he hopes to accomplish and his famous dad.

1. Carlsonkid says:

Vernon Davis has class , the guy’s intelligent & honest . And he’s a damn good TE .

.. and he knows better than to cross paths again with Kam-Bam if he can help it : )

2. Ya Vernon is a good dude and is quite honest about his feelings about the Hawks. He has never dissed them and you can tell has a lot of respect for them. This is going to be a brutal matchup for years to come…hopefully with us winning the matchup everytime

3. As someone who makes considerably less than the average Joe, I find it a bit nauseating when players who’ve already made 10-20-30 million dollars say, “I’ve got to think about my future. I gotta think about my family.” It’s fine for them to hold out because they think they can make more money that way, just don’t give me a sob story that suggests an extra million or two now will somehow make the difference between your family eating and not eating.

4. chuck_easton says:

I just posted a very (and I mean that) long post in the last thread that explains contracts and specifically Lynch.

The only way the team could give Lynch more money this year would be one of two ways:

1. Extend him (per the Sherman and ET move) with some additional bonus money now. Lynch would still get his pay now, a bonus of some kind, and a few years (real or otherwise) added on. Problem is this just increases this year’s CAP hit from 7M to 7M + whatever this year’s portion of the new bonus would be.

2. Tear up the existing contract and do a new one. Problem here is the $3M CAP hit remaining from the original $6M signing bonus comes due immediately, so you start with $3M in CAP space. Any further money this year in salary or salary/bonus goes right to this years CAP.

If Marshawn wants more than the $5.5M he’s going to get for this season, the only way the team can do it is to take a pretty hefty additional CAP hit this year.

5. Singularitarian says:

when you sign the biggest tight end contract in the history of the nfl, you have no room to renegotiate before its over. Period.

6. Singularitarian–When the team can drop him at any time and fail to hold up their end of the contract?! Thats the thing, contracts are one-sided in the NFL.

The market for TE’s has risen considerably, and Davis IS underpaid, just as Lynch is due to be underpaid this year, when you look at the rate players of their stature are being paid at.

Lynch also is aware that the final year of his contract will never happen; Seattle WILL cut him no matter how well he plays this year, so he figures why wear himself out at a below-market rate this year?

Ultimately I feel both should show up and not hold out of training camp or preseason. Davis especially, because with his contract, he WAS the highest paid at his position; it would be like Sherman holding out in a year or two because other CB’s got richer contracts in the years following his own; but in Sherms case, the team extended him a year early, giving him cash upfront he wouldnt have seen otherwise, so he owes them a break overall. Thats how those extensions work–it benefits both parties, just as in the ET contract. The team gets insurance that if rates for your position go up, they have you at a lower price for years, and the player gets security and cash upfront a year early. IMO, thats fair. However, it also depends on how mUCH the market rate increases. If the market rate goes up a TON, then the player has every right to renegotiate, again because the team can decide to drop their end of the contractual bargain any time after the first couple years with little or no penalty, whereas the player can only play or hold out or retire.

As Wilson continues to be the most underpaid player in the NFL & he continues to be all class with no complaints.

8. jawpeace says:

Chuck, as long as that last post was and the time you took to write it. You should copy and re-paste it here.

I used to be critical of players that held out, but in today’s NFL players get cut all the time when they were supposed to be getting the fatter part of their contract. I think players have seen the trend and are making their contracts about guaranteed money and money up front to counter balance the trend. With that ML knows the current trend and the bigger bucks at the end of his contract he will not see.

Georgia, Wilson does not have any choice or say in the matter. So he would not complain as it would do absolutely NO GOOD. It is not class it is just knowing the FACTS(current CBA) and living by them.

9. yankinta says:

Not only does Bennett want Lynch to cash in,, Bennett’s agent, Earl’s agent, Sherman’s agent and Kam’s agent would all like Lynch to cash in. They want their clients to be making Top 3 Position Salaries every year.. Top 5 isn’t good enough.

They need Lynch to set a precedent here so that they’ll be able to hold out for more money starting next year. :)

I’m so glad JS/PC are in Charge and will NOT Allow this to happen. This is how Dynasties are built. It’s not about this upcoming season, it’s about having a chance to win multiple Super Bowls in Next Few Years..

10. Singularitarian says:

I agree with Yankinta and others. though he is not being paid truly elite this year, He will be next year and if he’s cut he has the chance to take his services elsewhere for a better deal if he can get it. He has made quite a bit of money by modern RB comparison, and letting Lynch get his money by holding out demonstrates that Seattle will bargain with players. Seattle puts up with a lot from Lynch, DUI stuff, media stuff, OTA stuff. The OTA in particular has to irritate Carroll some, not because Carroll thinks Marshawn needs OTAs, but because it sets a bad example to younger players, where a player like Sherman takes OTAs for real.

Seattle didn’t draft Michael for no reason, and though not an optimal time for it, there is some backs that can run the ball on the roster, and if Lynch wants to hold out or retire, let him. This offense is more dynamic now than it has been in the past, and I feel that Wilson can carry more of the team via the pass then has happened so far. I almost feel like Carroll has set the team up that way in case of a Lynch injuty or Michael not being able to tote the torch.

Again, not saying I don’t want to see the beast back there carrying the team, just that Marshawn see’s dark at the end of a lit up tunnel, and he’s trying to secure his spot next year which probably isn’t in Seattle’s plan given the drafting of Michael, and you gotta show some tough love with regard to players trying to leverage the team. Seattle has always shown they will pay theirs, and Marshawn was no exception. He was rescued out of the depth chart doghouse of Buffalo and given a competitive contract, of which he should have been able to see at the time as a 3 year guaranteed with a 4th year Seattle option

11. Georgia–Wilson will make 100 million in his career (with far less damage to his body, and Lynch will make much less), and he’s a year from being able to complain–at least, with any hope of anything changing. Why complain if it couldnt be fixed if the FO wanted to?!

Lynch hasnt done anything except ask for more money, at least so far. Nothing wrong with that, as he is 99% certain to be worth more than the amount he’s due this season.

Honestly, Yankinta, you just dont get it. Lynch is destroying himself for half the pay of ET, Sherm, and even Harvin. Harvin. Let that sink in. He’s making less than Arian foster, and about 2 million less than McCoy and 6 million less than AP. He’s better than that. Plus, he’s not going to be employed here fter this season, at least not at the price his contract says…So if Seattle can ignore the contract at any time, why should he be bound by it?!

12. Voluntary OTA’s?! Give me a break. If the teams want mandatory attendance, they should have paid for it and put it in the CBA. Unless and until they do, its unfair to expect every player to attend.

Lynch doesnt need OTA’s. He doesnt need training camp. Just like Walter Jones–who never attended camp–Lynch will be fine come Game One. And just like Big Walt, Lynch is a quiet lead-by-example type who sees no benefit in standing around silently watching his younger teammates do voluntary OTA’s.

If Seattle wants him to show up to VOLUNTARY OTA’s and be a mentor/coach, then they can pay him an extra, exorbitant amount to do that and PUT IT IN HIS CONTRACT! Lynch’s job is to run the ball hard from Game One on, and stay out of trouble. Not everyone on the team can be a vocal leader, its unnecessary and counter-productive to have too many. He’s fine just as he is.

13. Singularitarian says:

That’s a good opinion STTBM, but it’s not the opinion of Sherman, and not the mentality of Carroll. While I agree he doesn’t need it, and I don’t blame him for not going, I’m not sure skipping it is the kind of thing that make this front office want to reward you with a new contract when they have drafted according to your current contract

14. Singularitarian says:

And that’s the part you don’t seem to get. They have drafted according to Lynch’s current contract. It sucks that Sherm and Thomas get double the money, it does. It also sucks that a brick layer will make 15 an hour on his hands and knees while a foreman might make twice that. That’s the view of the entire NFL right now, not just Lynch. Cheap RB’s are not even going in the first round of the draft. It’s unfortunate, but a toll on your body isn’t the only thing you get paid for. and until Running backs want to go on strike and all, it’s not going to change. I personally don’t feel sorry for somebody playing a game for 4 months a year, who makes 5 million, because someone else makes 10. I won’t earn 5 mill in my lifetime

15. Singularitarian says:

I meant that’s the view of the entire NFL right now, not Just Seattle

16. Singularitarian–Yes, I do get that; the RB position has been devalued. Except for three players–AP, McCoy, and Lynch–who transcend that trend, and are the heart, soul, and focal point of their teams offense and identity, and are so much more than just a ‘Good RB”.

Not everyone has to be a vocal leader to make a team go; Sherm thinks its important for everyone to be at OTA’s, and he’s right–to an extent. But it was never a problem with Big Walt, and I dont believe its a problem with Lynch.

I agree, its a little ridiculous talking about someone making 5.5 million being underpaid. Still, the guy will likely end up with CTE the way he plays, and the money he makes wouldnt make me want to trade places with him, knowing how he’s going to be feeling perhaps as soon as 45.

While the FO may not appreciate Lynch skipping Voluntary OTA’s, I dont think it matters as much as many want it to. Now, if/when he skips Mandatory Mini Camp, they may be irritated. But they brought it on themselves by caving to Clemons when he held out. If Lynch skips camp I expect them to be pissed. But again, Big Walt did fine skipping camp, and I think Lynch will be fine too. Though it would help to have him learning with hopefully a new RT in the starting lineup ;)

17. Every good team has room for a guy or three who march to the beat of their own drummer, oddballs who keep it interesting. This team should have plenty of room for one Marshawn.

18. Southendzone says:

The Clemons renegotiation was significantly different than Marshawn. Clemons was on the traded contract from Philly when he held out. Marshawn is on a solid to great contract that we gave him.

I support ML’s right to do what is best for him financially and don’t think he has to honor his contract to earn my respect.

I just don’t think he has sufficient leverage to pull it off and Yank is right when he says it sets a precedent that the team probably doesn’t want to.

What’s his best case? Maybe in his wildest dreams he thinks he can get another $3M. Well the worst case if his plan doesn’t go right, he gets negative 8.5M (current year salary plus repay prior signing bonus). That’s not a favorable range of options.

19. Yeah, but Lynch isnt going to have more leverage next year, so he’s doing what he can, when he can.

If he holds out of Training Camp, I might change my tune. I didnt like it when Clemons did it–even though I understood–and I wont like it if Lynch does it.

I thought Clemons signed a deal here, then decided to hold out when he outperformed it. Guess my memory is once again faulty…

20. PFT reports Marion Barber picked up for being weird and taken forcibly for a mental evaluation. You got to be pretty wacky to be forced to take a mental eval. Hard not to speculate that it might have something to do with repeated head trauma, the way that guy played for 6 years.

21. SRVHawk81 says:

Anyone here that criticizes Lynch for not putting the team first loses any credibility with people that expect posters to be fair and logical. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Just ask Red, Chris Clemons, Rice, and Miller how loyal NFL teams are. I could go on and on. That’s just from the Hawks so far during this off-season. I understand the inclination of fans to put the interest of the team over that of individual players, but don’t pretend like your opinion is noble or rooted in anything but self-interest.

This wouldn’t be such a cap issue if the NFL owners hadn’t almost blown up the 2011 season in order to pocket extra billions of dollars. They’re not going to the food bank anytime soon either. And they haven’t had their health ruined by the game.

Lynch really was paid the 17 mil guaranteed portion of his contract the last 2 years. That’s 8.5 mil a year. He earned every penny. I would argue he earned more. But that’s not the point. Does he deserve more than the 5.5 mil he’ll be paid in 2014? Not sure anyone here would argue he doesn’t. Many here have said that he will never see that money in 2015. So why should he not make what he deserves in 2014?

This team goes nowhere the last 2 years without Lynch. Hand back that Lombardi Trophy. I think it’s misleading to just compare his salary the last couple of years to other running backs. I would argue that his value to the Hawks far exceeded the position and that of any other RB not named Peterson. You could make a case for McCoy in 2013. This offense lived and died with the running game. With an o-line ranging from average to putrid.

It’s certainly okay if some here think it’s better that they move on from Lynch rather than giving him a raise in 2014, but don’t come back on here pissing and moaning when the Hawks fail to repeat in 2014.

22. Southendzone says:

What about breaking the mold and not signing contracts that have farcical ending year terms?

Every time a new contract comes out, analysts will post the “true” terms. Say I offered Paul McQuistan a 10 year 400M contract. Only $1M is guaranteed, and the 9th and 10th years have salaries of $97M each?

Well obviously those are BS years, to a lesser extent you can calculate the realistic value of any contract. When as a player you negotiate, identify the BS years and say, “Hey just scrap those BS years, I’ll take the 3 year 17.5M please, and give the phony contract to the next guy”

Do agents get a cut from the phony contracts? Because if they do they wouldn’t have any incentive to inform the players (they work for) to scrap the BS years of their contract.

The agents know full well that 80% of players will be bankrupt just a few years after they are out of the NFL, & most players will blindly trust their agents, so perhaps the players are at times mislead into signing these kind of contracts that looks like they are getting more then they really get but are more lucrative to the agents if they get a percentage of the none guaranteed money too.

24. SRV–Best. Post. Ever. Thank you! AMen, MotherF35435!

No, agents get a cut of what the player gets paid. But agents love to put out contract numbers that make the contract look better, so that they can then recruit other players based on misinformation.

Its the same crap Music Biz lawyers/label owners/etc pulled on Musicians in the Jazz and Blues arena…Asshats ripping off those who make the product…

25. If they could find a way to give him a little more this year and lessen the blow next year and extend for a 3rd year (totally okay with that) but maybe a 4th year with less money due but I just don’t see how that can happen.

26. hawkfather says:

Bennett needs to close his pie hole. He signed AFTER his one year contract was up.Lynch has two years left and should see the handwriting on the wall. Papa Pete and company are moving to a two back scheme and moving away from a run first system to a more explosive run/pass game plan.This would actually help Lynch by giving his back a rest and more red zone yardage.
    They have made HUGE improvements in additional targets for Russell Wilson and improving his pass protection. The Beast ought to man up, honor his contract and play his ass off. He has a legit possibility of getting another ring with the Hawks, make another $ 10m or so and still be able to walk in another 10 years. GO HAWKS!!!

27. SRVHawk81 says:

Thanks, STTBM.

The Bennett brothers have always been men to speak their minds, like it or not. I personally do and find it refreshing. Some here may remember Mike Bennett being asked about the new CBA on TheRealRobReport awhile back. He asked Mike Rob if he wanted him to be honest. He then went into his displeasure with the new deal. He’s intelligent enough to understand that they got the short end of the stick.

I don’t expect the Hawks to give Lynch any meaningful extension. I’m not sure if that’s what he’s looking for. I do believe he’s earned a raise from his current 2014 salary and has every right to demand it. I don’t believe the Hawks can afford to let him go yet. Maybe after this year.

People talk about what kind of message this would send to the other players. It sends the same message that any agent and player with half a brain already knows. This is a business first and foremost. The Hawks haven’t hesitated in cutting bait with players once they’ve outlived their value. I think that the players have figured out that this isn’t a co-op by now. It’s a dog eat dog world.

28. jawpeace says:

Just watched the NFL film on Jeffcoat and at the end of it they said that Jackson should hear his name called at the second or third round! He also was an All-American – at the University of Texas, where he won the Ted Hendricks Award as the best defensive end in college football last season while collecting 13 sacks, 22 tackles for losses and team-leading 86 tackles. How in the world did he go undrafted in seven rounds???? Crazy…. He has a good chance to be another chip on his shoulder Hawk player.