Afternoon links: Sherman stays the same

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on June 10, 2014 at 1:53 pm with 33 Comments »
June 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Good afternoon.

Richard Sherman took his usual star turn yesterday when he was at the podium. He lobbied Electronic Arts to put the whole Legion of Boom on the Madden cover. He joked about how people still are sleeping on his speed as it relates to a punt return competition with Earl Thomas. He made fun of Thomas’ size. Sherman even took a moment to smile and shuffle away from a reporter on crutches and in a brace who told him, “It’s not contagious” after he asked what happened.

Our Dave Boling wrote about Sherman, who was in a jovial June mood for good reason. From Boling:

Sherman’s abundant confidence keeps him from being viewed as the humble type, but he doesn’t have to look far for those eager to be sure he doesn’t get out of hand.

During Monday’s interview, his old Stanford teammate Doug Baldwin sneaked up to inform the media that Sherman has “been getting torched out there on the practice field.”

“That’s my boy,” Sherman cracked of Baldwin. “He’s grown up before my eyes.”

Several times, Sherman stressed the need to sustain consistency and continuity. The Seahawks figured out a way to win a Super Bowl, and now they have to keep approaching the task in the same way, he said.

He added that winning one was not going to be enough for this young team.

“We’ve got a bunch of guys who want to be in the Hall of Fame and do greater things than just win one Super Bowl,” Sherman said. He saw it from the moment the win over Denver was secured. “Guys were sitting there saying, ‘What’s next?’ “

It was also interesting to hear Sherman tout the importance of being at voluntary workouts from a personal and team perspective. That stood out in contrast to Marshawn Lynch choosing to again not attend. Different approaches for different guys, who still yield strong results and are embraced by their team. More than one way to go at it.

Links:

> Doug Farrar writes at SI.com that the Seahawks are already preparing for life after Lynch.

> A photo gallery from yesterday’s OTAs.

> MMQB writes that San Francisco GM Trent Baalke has big plans. This quote from Baalke in the story should sound familiar:

“I’ve heard the phrase, They have too many picks. They all can’t possibly make the team,” Baalke says. “Our mentality is you can never have enough picks. Our job is to create the most competitive team, the most competitive environment that we can possibly create, and there’s no better way than to draft good players And that’s not to say that every pick you make is going to pan out, because that’s not reality. Anyone that thinks differently has probably never sat in this chair.”

> Former Bears tackle Keith Van Horne on why he’s suing the NFL.

> Pete Carroll talked to Richard Dent about pass rushing.

> Colts owner Jim Irsay sat down with Bob Kravitz (one of my favorite columnists) of the Indianapolis Star. He talked alcoholism, addiction and more.

1. “He added that winning one was not going to be enough for this young team.”

I remember reading an article or watching an interview (I don’t remember which) the year after the Patriots won their third Super Bowl in 4 years and Brady was talking about how there must be more to life than just winning Super Bowls. He didn’t mean it in a bad way, but you could tell he had gotten to the point of taking it for granted. Now, all these years you know darn well that he’ll appreciate his fourth win if he gets it after these years than he’d have if he’d done it again so soon after winning the third.

I love quotes from our guys talking about how one isn’t enough. It’s a hard road. Heck, Brady (not by himself) went undefeated one year and still couldn’t win the Super Bowl one more time.

Sherm is right though… you really “up” your legacy by doing it multiple times than “simply” and “only” doing it once. I’m still riding sky high (kind of like a Denver Mile High) from FINALLY seeing them doing it once though!

2. Bobbyk–I hear you. Its a great feeling to be champs. But I really fervently hope last year wasnt the pinnacle. Greedy or not, I want a repeat, and to win 3 of 4 SB’s or something insane like that; to put Seattle on the same pedestal as SF and Pittsburgh with 4+ SB titles.

But if it never happens again, its great to finally call the Lombardi ours.

3. montanamike2 says:

I’m down for a three peat.

4. I most definitely want more and think it can/should happen. It’s nice having that initial one finally in the bag though. To win two in a row would put them in rare company and three in three years would get us in the conversation (and maybe own that talk) of greatest team ever, although certainly that’s way down the road.

I think how hard it is because the best teams don’t always win the Super Bowl. The Giants got hot at the right time when they defeated the unbeaten Patriots. I thought the Rams were a lot better than the Patriots when Brady won his first (insert spy joke here). When the Saints beat the Colts, I don’t think they could have consistently beat them (and needed the gimmick on-sides kick, which yes is definitely part of the game… but they needed something because they couldn’t consistently beat them straight up with all things being equal) and if the Vikings hadn’t fumbled 192 times in the NFC Championship Game – the Saints wouldn’t even have had the chance to beat the Colts. There are so many examples where a game could go this way or that (think the Sherman tip) and your team doesn’t always win when you think they should. I think more should come, but know there are no guarantees. They have certainly set themselves up as one of the favorites though and that’s all we can ask at this point.

5. Southendzone says:

Dang I kind of forgot about Doug Farrar since he blocked me on twitter. Used to enjoy his articles.

Apparently he’s really sensitive.

6. Ewalters7354 says:

Agreed Bobby

7. Love being the champs.

But….. I can’t help but remember how close we were to losing the NFC championship. It was SO close. My guess is having homefield advantage over the 49ers will again be a deciding factor.

8. montanamike2 says:

HFA is everything! All this talk of Michaels being like Peterson has me salivating, if that’s true, then Lynch and Michaels will be damn near unstoppable at least for this year. I hope Lynch isn’t a no show.

Who knows, a break here or there, (Falcons playoff game in 2012, 2005 Super Bowl) & we could be working on the 4th one.

I’m very happy though about this first one & especially because the 12th man was so involved in it.
    And the weather was good so no one could use bad weather as an excuse for Manning.

And finally the Seahawks did it in a dominant fashion that could be the start of a dynasty much like Jimmy Johnsons Cowboys.

The Patriots & the Stealers (with all their Super Bowl wins combined) have never dominated a Super Bowl like the Seahawks did.

10. AzulVerde says:

One other “rumor” that I got from an inside source is music to my ears (He knows this so he might have just said it to get me going) I take most of what my friend says with a grain of salt. He has given me good info in the past, but I feel like he’s blowing smoke at times too.

Anyway, I have it from my source that Paul Richardson is DEF getting a shot at punt returns, and part of the reason they are being so careful with his slightly banged up shoulder is that he is the front runner for it. I told him that PC has said otherwise publicly… but he tells me to just watch.

So…. take that news for what it’s worth. MyNicklesWorth-1000’s of grains of salt…=?????????

My5¢Worth

11. montanamike2 says:

It wouldn’t surprise me coming from Pete, it’s not beyond him to keep his hand close to his vest. So far you’ve given some good inside stuff, when we drafted Richardson, i thought it would make perfect sense to have him and Harvin returning, send fear to opposing teams.

12. South–Allright, Spill the beans! I wanna hear all about it!

PS even though we don’t see stuff the same–or maybe because–I dig arguing with you…

Keep it up!

13. Punt returns are dangerous. Period. No way in hell ET or Sherman gets to do punts…

I vote for Arceto Clark to return punts…

14. Southendzone says:

Just there was a period where he was harping non-stop on how college FB players should be paid. I commented to him something on the lines of when will the college FB players getting screwed diatribe be over.

It was honestly that mild. No swears, no insults. Guess he skipped his Midol that day.

15. banosser says:

“What’s next?”

To be the first team in a decade to repeat!! Couple that with the drubbing of the ‘most prolific offense in the history of the game’.. now you’re talkin legacy Bro! in fact I can see that on Sherm’s future t-shirts…

16. yankinta says:

Here’s a good question for Seahawks Fans… If it came down to Sidney Rice versus Anthony McCoy,, do we keep 7th WR or 3rd TE on Roster when the Season begins.

I have no faith in McCoy. I’d rather keep Sidney Rice, especially if Baldwin is going to be returning Punts and Percy is going to be returning Kickoffs…

17. CDHawkFan says:

I still think they would have had a perfect season last year with a health Percy. I’m sure he would have helped vs Indy, 9ers and Cards as they were all a ‘L’ by a TD or less.

If our D Line can get to the QB, Percy stays healthy, and everything else stays equal, I think there is a chance the Hawks could run the table.

Instead of arguing with the 9ers or other teams about how many Lombardi’s they have, we could just argue with the Dolphins (though they had a 14 game season in 72).

18. montanamike2 says:

Anthony McCoy was almost star like at times and heartbreaking at other times. He is a good blocker and a lot of that question has to do with Rice’s knees. Are they gone?

19. I vote for Arceto Clark to return punts… I vote for Arceto Clark to not be on the team!!!

20. Remember the comment about Michaels was that he had the same “explosion” as AP – and I believe it was from a weight coach . . . .

21. montanamike2 says:

What do you guys think of Richard Sherman trying to get the LOB on the cover of Madden? Whether you believe in the curse or not, i think it’s cool that he’s trying to give credit to the whole secondary.

22. Southendzone says:

Hey MM, I think EA should take advantage of Sherm’s idea. Put out 2 covers, the standard Sherm cover, and a special release LOB cover. The LOB cover is like a collector’s edition, maybe there’s something special inside like a signed trading card from each LOB member, or something else really cool.

23. Looks like Sherm has started spending some of his money–
    Nice place for a “raggedy dog”

24. montanamike2 says:

Southendzone i like that idea.

25. MichaelSeahawk says:

What do you all think were the best Seahawks games to watch of the 2013 season?

I’m thinking about buying a couple from iTunes to rewatch and can’t make up my mind.

26. SaigonSun says:

I vote for biggie Smalls to return punts

27. Although the NFC Championship Game was huge, that Texans game from early in the year was an epic battle where this team showed what it’s made of. As usual, see NFC Championship Game, it was Sherman who made the biggest play of the day what a play was needed most.

28. CDHawkFan says:

I’ve watched the M. Smith TD in the SB about 30 times (including tonight) and I still find myself yelling for him to run, run, run even though its on tape.

29. Southendzone says:

CD Hawk, I got the framed picture of that run. Costco was selling them for a pretty good deal, I think it was only like $54 or $45, can’t remember which. They had a good selection, some of Beast Mode, RW, Sherm, that one was my favorite.

It’s when he’s nearly at the end and got his finger raised in the air. It’s awesome!

30. CDHawkFan says:

SEZ, awesome indeed. When he is raising his hand, I was pumping my fist in the air, saying run you son of a bitch, run…

It was the first time in the game where I thought ”holy crap, they are going to win this”, I then quickly came up with reasons why Denver was still in it, but it was at that point where I stopped worrying about the small stuff.

31. Southendzone says:

I’m with you on that CD! I was feeling just pure excitement and the thought that we really were gonna win.

Love that moment in the Sound FX with Pete running down the sideline shouting “Run Mal, RUN!” Then at the end, I think it’s DeShon Shead (Could be wrong), comes over and goes to Malcolm “You know you’re my favorite player!”

32. The only way EA puts the entire LOB on the cover is if Sherm agrees to split his pay four ways, and the other guys take their 1/4 payment rather than demand full pay. Something tells me that aint happening.

While it would be awesome to see the entire LOB on the cover, Sherm deserves to have it himself, so Im good either way.

South–I never saw those pics for sale at Costco, but Im in MT. Perhaps they only sold them in WA. Lame.

MontanaMike2–Regardless of whether Seattle keeps 5 or 6 WR’s, I dont see them carrying less than 3 TE’s. Millers various nagging injuries over the last couples seasons have proven to be costly, and not having McCoy hurt us last year. As he ages, the injuries become more likely to be a frequent and longer-duration problem, so 3 TE’s will be the norm on the roster, IMO.

If they decide to keep Rice, it will be at the expense of another position–not having 3 qb’s, or dropping a LB or DL or even an OL. I just dont see them carrying 6, but thats only my opinion.

33. I predict a 10+ year career for Russell Wilson, with 5 Super Bowl wins.

Then he can join the Texas Rangers.