Saturday roundup: Madden, pics from OTAs and whatnot

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on May 31, 2014 at 3:10 pm with 11 Comments »
May 31, 2014 3:10 pm

OTAs roll along without the media, as you can see from this photo gallery on Seahawks.com.

We will be off double-secret probation Monday, then closed out for a week again after that.

There are several pictures of slimmed-down James Carpenter, and you can see Tarvaris Jackson is back. Kam Chancellor is around, but never with a helmet or on the field in action shots. Also, no sign of Marshawn Lynch in any of the pictures.

In one shot, we see rookie Garry Gilliam working at left tackle with the No. 1 offensive line.

> The endorsements keep coming for Richard Sherman. He just signed with Chunky Soup. Sherman is also facing Cam Newton in the final cover boy vote for the next edition of Madden.

> You have to be a tall quarterback to throw over the line and not get passes knocked down, or …

> Friends say a “Sea-Hawks!” chant broke out at the Lionel Richie concert in KeyArena last night. Russell Wilson and Heath Farwell were in attendance.

> Arizona linebacker Daryl Washington has been suspended a year without pay for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. Washington released a statement that said using marijuana was the reason for the failed drug test. The Cardinals are now down two starting linebackers (Karlos Dansby left in free agency) from last season.

> Colin Kaepernick says he did nothing wrong in Miami and is eager for the district attorney to finish the case.

1. SandpointHawk says:

No press allowed but nuns welcome?

Lol Sandpoint.

Is that a nun or Belichick in disguise?

She sure looks intently focused out there.

3. jawpeace says:

Swear a nun to secretsy and you are almost guaranteed to have no leaks.

The name fat Carp can not be used right now.

The player I want extended the most right now is Jeremy Lane. One of the best if not the best gunners in the league and I think he is going to win the Nickle back spot and be first up in case an injury to the starters. I have seen a lot of growth from him like Maxwell. I think if we extend him now if possible (CBA requires last year of rookie contract?) We could get him a lot cheaper than if we waited. I am afraid that we lose Mazwell after this season. Some other team will throw more money than we will be able already paying top dollars for 2 safeties and a CB in the secondary. I don’t see a drastic drop off from Max to Lane.

4. banosser says:

OT… We all know whiner Davis is ‘holding out’.. but did you know that: “In October, San Francisco-based Fantex bought a 10-percent stake in Davis’ future earnings for $4 million.” I didn’t know this happened..

5. Before you follow this link, can you guess who the Seahawks “secret superstar” is?

6. banosser says:

blocis… great article.. But I wonder (from the link) how: “From Week 13 on, Maxwell ensured that the Seahawks had not just one shutdown cornerback, but two: Maxwell’s +7.8 coverage grade in that span was second-best of any NFL cornerback, even better than Sherman… when from Week 13 To Super Bowl their stats were: Targets: Sherm 23 Max 35 Comp% Allowed: Sherm 34.8% Max 40% Yds Allowed: Sherm 80 Max 195 TD Allowed: Sherm 0 Max 2 INT: both 4 QB rating: Sherm 6 Max 38.1

I’d like to just what Sherm’s coverage grade was?

7. banosser says:

^like to know just..^

8. Macabrevity says:

Great pics…

As to the Maxwell debate, I don’t know if it will be possible, if he wants Sherm’s money it won’t be, but if we can lock him up I would be ecstatic. It’s not just the big plays, just watch the way he gets physical and contests balls with wideouts. I remember being impressed with Sherman when he was just an unknown coming off the bench and thinking “wow, this guy is actually pretty good” my early impressions of Maxwell were that and more.

9. bsinnitt says:

When it comes to corners, Pete has a great eye for talent and the coaches in place to teach an effectively aggressive style. The job is also made easier when you have an all pro safety with speed behind you like ET3. I agree with jaw piece’s point above, Lane makes many unsung plays on special teams and his coverage ability is currently overshadowed by the more visible members of the LOB.

10. Ray_Maines says:

No need to worry about cap numbers. I think new draft pick Eric Pinkins will make Maxwell expendable.

11. I think that WAY too fast on the Pinkins assessment – we haven’t seen anything of him yet.

And yes, Maxwell is a FA after the 2014 season.