‘Lord have mercy, it’s Percy’

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on May 28, 2014 at 3:43 pm with 42 Comments »
May 28, 2014 8:20 pm

That quote came from Richard Sherman during the Super Bowl when Percy Harvin was close to breaking his two fly sweeps.

Harvin is back healthy at OTAs after spending last season navigating the fallout from Aug. 1, 2013 hip surgery. He finished with five receptions and three carries in 19 games last year. Those numbers were a $4.9 million cap hit for the Seahawks.

His contract goes up significantly this season. Harvin’s base salary rockets to $11 million and his cap hit is $13.4 million, the highest of any of the six years he’s under contract for.

Shortly after the Super Bowl ended, Harvin ran off the field to the Seahawks’ lockerroom. He preferred to leave the on-field celebrations to his teammates, acknowledging his lack of playing time because of the surgery left him as a small part of the team.

“I didn’t give this team all of what I had last year because of the injuries,” Harvin said Tuesday. “So now I’m just looking to do what I do.”

Harvin said he’s feeling the best he has since before college, which could push him into the punt return mix. Harvin said he’s practiced it in the past, and that it is quite a bit different than returning kickoffs.

“The ball falls different, it’s in the air and it hangs different, and the trajectory of the ball and the way it comes down, it falls a little different,” Harvin said. “That’s why you see a lot of people who kick return don’t automatically do punt return, but I’m going to work at it.”

Beyond the punt returns, the Seahawks would like to see Harvin get back to his career averages of 70 catches and 27 carries. As would he.

“I’m just happy to be out here, I’m happy to be healthy right now,” Harvin said. “We’re all tuned into what we have to get done this next coming year so we’re all just out here working. It feels tremendously good to get back on the field and be as one.”

Harvin deserved to be on that field celebrating a Super Bowl win just as much as any Seahawks player imo.

I’m so looking forward to watching him play this season.

2. baldbandit says:

Does anybody know what his cap hit in 2015 will be?

Agreed, Georgia. Harvin had as big an impact on the Super Bowl as any player on the field, IMO.

4. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

It sure would be nice to have Harvin for both, but at least one, 49rs games this upcoming season. Also, since they all run 4.3’s, the thought of Richardson, Lockette, and Harvin, on the field at the same time is exciting. With that trio on the field at the same time what would defenses do? Would they fear the hard play action so much that they neglect Marshawn? Or, will they continue to put eight in the box and make their secondaries fend for themselves? It all makes me salivate, and rub my hands together deviously. I can’t wait for football to start!

5. Singularitarian says:

Overthecap.com

6. Singularitarian says:

That site answers all contract questions

7. baldbandit says:

Awesome. Thanks, man.

8. Hawks85 says:

If Richardson, Lockette, and Harvin are all on the field together something is very wrong. I really believe Lockette won’t be a Seahawk next year, and his special teams play won’t save him, It didn’t save BO last year. I see the depth chart breaking down like this

Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse,Rice and the last one or two spots going to Richardson, Norwood or Matthews. The only way I see Ricardo sticking is if SR or PH gets hurt.

9. Ray_Maines says:

Richardson AND Norwood. Matthews to the practice squad. Lockette will get picked up by the Santa Clara 49ers.

10. Interesting research from Condotta:

In the 38 years that the Seahawks have existed, I identified only 12 seasons in which a player who was also a full-time starter at his position in that season was also Seattle’s main punt returner (and as reference, here’s a list of every player to ever return a punt or kickoff for the Seahawks).

Here’s the list of Seahawks who were the leading punt returner in a year in which they were also a primary starter at their position:

1982, Paul Johns, receiver

1983, Johns

1984, Kenny Easley, safety

1992, Chris Warren, running back

1993, Kelvin Martin, receiver

1994, Martin

1995, Joey Galloway, receiver

1996, Galloway

1998, Galloway

2007, Nate Burleson, receiver

2009, Burleson

2013, Golden Tate, receiver

One thing that stands out is that other than Easley, every player was an offensive starter.

A few also fit the traditional template of being young players who started out as returners and morphed into starting roles, notably Johns and Warren. Another, Galloway, was a first-round pick taken in part because of the impact he could make on special teams (and somewhat oddly, he didn’t have a single punt return in 1997, when Corey Harris handled those duties, but otherwise was the main punt returner in his other full-time seasons with the Seahawks.)

The other thing that stands out is the inclusion of Easley.

After the news broke yesterday that Thomas (above in an AP photo) might be called on to return punts, many longtime Seahawks fans referenced Easley — at the time also regarded as one of the best safeties in the game — being the team’s returner in 1984, a year when Seattle went 12-4 and Easley was the Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

One thing I’d forgotten is that Easley got the job sort of by default.

As explained in this 1984 Sports Illustrated story, Easley volunteered to take over punt return duties when Johns suffered a career-ending injury — which, yes, happened on a punt return (it’s worth noting, though, that Easley had already returned a few punts that season before taking over full-time when Johns was injured).

I’ve gotten e-mails and other correspondence from a few people saying Easley was injured returning punts. I can’t find an exact record of that, though the stats do show that he stopped returning punts after the 10th game of that season when Paul Skansi then took over. If he stopped because of an injury, though, it didn’t prevent him from playing as he started every game the Seahawks played that season (though I’m more than happy to admit to being wrong on this if any longtime Seahawks fans can find exact details of him being hurt returning a punt).

Easley also returned a few more punts in 1985 (seven to be exact) in a season in which the injuries that would shorten his career really began to hit. He missed three games that season, but from the reports I can find did so with an ankle injury. The knee injury that really became problematic occurred a year later, as far as I can find and remember, by which time Easley’s punt returning duties were done.

To wrap up the point on Easley, I’m not sure it serves as either a cautionary tale or an example of it working out just fine. Looks like he mostly just did it for a while because somebody had to and stopped once they found someone else (though again, maybe there was some sort of injury there late in the 1984 season I just can’t find record of easily).

As for Thomas and where things head from here, the Seahawks obviously had success last year with Tate handling those duties while also serving as the team’s leading receiver, a role that became even more important once it became apparent how long Percy Harvin would be out (not comparing Tate’s value to Thomas, though, just noting that he did have a pretty big role).

Carroll also has a history of using valued position players on special teams (Thomas and Sherman served on several last year, and one of the marquee players of his USC tenure was Reggie Bush, who made much of his mark with returns despite his value to the offense).

Of course, this could also just be Carroll in May, wanting to keep things a little lively and trying to keep everyone engaged a bit. We’ll see in September whether this is much adieu about nothing — or, well, something.

11. vichawkfan says:

I also enjoyed Sherman quote ” that’s a baaaad boy” after the 2nd half kick off.

12. jawpeace says:

Nice post LVHawk.
    The most important punt returner in that group to me was Galloway. He was awesome as a returner and WR. I remember the punt return where he probably ran over a hundred yards before taking it all the way. And the best thing about Galloway was we got two number ones with him in a trade. And one of them ended up being Shaun Alexander!

13. Bam Bam Kam checking in at #65 on the Top 100 Players of 2014.

We all know he should be much, much higher with the powerful impact he has on a game. Just mentally, he makes guys hesitant, and you can’t quantify that. First time on the list though, at least he made it this year.

14. The Seahawks’ lowest player on the list being #65 this year, as opposed to being in the nineties previously, shows our player’s evolution and progress individually, as well as how they are perceived around the league. No doubt winning the Lombardi gave us some extra cache and gravitas as if our players were not well known around the league before. The Niners still have the most players on the list, supposedly, but I’m thinking we still have at least 4 more players on the list, all #50 or higher(lower). My predictions for the rest of the Hawks:

Russell Wilson Top 30
    Marshawn Lynch Top 20
    Earl Thomas Top 20
    Richard Sherman Top 20

15. yankinta says:

I disagree with this dude. Nick Foles is top 10 QB. Ranking 70th overall and 11th QB is actually pretty close…. He’s definitely ahead of Luck imo.

16. yankinta says:

CCVI,, my predictions/how I see it..

Michael Bennett Top 50
    Marshawn Lynch Top 40
    Earl Thomas Top 15
    Richard Sherman Top 15
    Russell Wilson Top 15

17. montanamike2 says:

I feel like we had a dream team last year, and oh so young too. Kam is my favorite player and i’m so thrilled to not be bottom feeders anymore! We could make a case that everyone deserves to be higher on the list and maybe even add a few more names. The truth is, we played like a Team more than anyone else. I can’t wait to see the train keep rolling. I’m psyched to be going to a game at the Clink this year and maybe even Minnesota if we win it all again. Home field will be tough to get this year but we know the dividends for getting it. I’m looking forward to meeting Bobby and STTBM tomorrow.

18. pabuwal says:

Ian Rappaport reports Baldwin and Seahawks near 3 year deal – should be done soon.

And there is no way Foles is better than Luck or top 10. He’s a complete fraud made by the fact that the NFC East, NFC North and AFC West don’t play Defense. And if you need further proof of that, Peyton Mannings performance in the Super Bowl is all you need. They essentially played the same schedule.

19. montanamike2 says:

Baldwin on a 3 year deal would be awesome!

20. montanamike2 says:

How can they claim that the Broncos had the most prolific offense in NFL history? If they played in the NFC let alone the NFC WEST, they’d be middle of the pack at best.

21. HawkfaninMT says:

I wonder where Vernon Davis would place Kam on the Top 100 list?

22. montanamike2 says:

I’ve never been so happy to be signing a “pedestrian” receiver.

23. yankinta says:

Hopefully it’s 3 year @ 4 Mil per year… there’s no way he makes more than that next year since several high profile WR will become free agents…

Yes, Foles is better than Luck, just by using your theory, the quality of opponents. Luck has been facing top 5 easiest Schedule since he entered the league. The colts will again face the EASIEST Schedule this upcoming season.

I will bet that Fole’s QB rating will be top 12 this year (1st ranked last year), while Luck QB rating will be between 15th and 25th.

24. montanamike2 says:

HawkfaninMT, too bad you can’t make it here too, we’re the champs and one last celebration for the season we just had, too bad there’s so many of us far away.

As good as Easley was returning punts I remember him clearly fair catching one in a game and a player from the punt coverage team disregarded Easley’s fair catch and sucker hit him pretty hard that it appeared Easley was knocked out.

He didn’t seem like the same aggressive player after that cheap shot.

I fear the same kind of thing happening to Thomas. Especially with Mr. Bounty now coaching with the Rams.

Hopefully this possible experiment will end in pre season much like the Turbin kick return experiment did last season.

ET is just too valuable imo to risk it.

26. montanamike2 says:

I’m wondering if this is more of Pete’s misdirection or not, i’d rather have someone else returning punts,(not Turbin).

27. Southendzone says:

Wonder if the Seattle Times is happy or doesn’t care about having one of their articles copy/pasted here in it’s entirety, considering they have a pay-wall now

Wonder the same about TNT…

Seems like that’s the kind of thing that should be summarized or presented in a snippet rather than in full.

28. Ray_Maines says:

I’ve changed my mind about the punt returner. I think it’s about value over replacement. The second best punt returner wouldn’t be that much worse than ET, but the second best Free Safety would be a huge drop off. Richard Sherman doesn’t get to return my punts either.

I wouldn’t want to use an active roster spot for a guy that only returns punts (Christine Michael), but a depth wide receiver (maybe DB?) would work for me.

29. HawkfaninMT says:

@MontanaMike: Would have loved to make it. My daughter has a soccer tournament up in Kalispell this weekend. Would love it if all us MT guys could meet up for a game this year though. Wrestling season will take me to Bozeman one weekend this just before New Years.

30. montanamike2 says:

I’d love that too.

31. HawkfaninMT says:

3 yrs, 14M… Not bad!

32. banosser says:

espin reporting DB has agreed to a 2 yr extension.. no $$ given

33. wazzulander says:

Is there proof that players are more likely to be injured playing on special teams than a regular offensive or defensive play? I’ve always appreciated coaches who emphasize special teams and I love that we have so many starters contributing on special teams, making it clear they are not viewed as an afterthought. Punt returns can be game breaking plays, I’m all for letting everyone compete and let the best person win the job, to do it any other way would be very un-Seahawk like.

34. banosser says:

$8.5M guaranteed according to Softy

35. banosser says:

Why not have RW return punts?

36. Southendzone says:

Wazzu I was thinking that same thing, we don’t know for sure that returning punts is more dangerous than playing safety, but think about it this way:

How many plays does the punt returner NOT get hit? Excluding fair catches, it will be almost never, and when you do get hit, it’s someone hitting you not the other way around.

How many plays does the safety not get hit? Probably a lot, a run play stuffed by the line, a sack, a pass to a different area of the field, and on the plays the safety does have contact, he’s probably initiating it.

There is just a lot more potential for contact as the PR than FS.

37. blueshq says:

@LVHawk, I clearly remember Easley being carried off the field on a stretcher in Cheney at training camp. I don’t recall the circumstances but I always thought it was his most significant injury and the one that eventually did him in.

38. wazzulander says:

You have a point Southendzone, I hadn’t really thought of it that way, I just have a hard time treating football players as fragile. I can see it a bit with a QB and kicker/punter but everyone else has the expectation of dealing with a lot of hard contact on every play (not that RW didn’t get his share of hits last year) and sometimes injuries will be the result. I also think a case can be made that as an individual play (with a dynamic punt returner like Tate), a punt return probably affects field position and scoring more than your average offensive play on your own end of the field.

Fragile is one of the first words that come to mind when I think of Harvin, Rice, Carp & Okunger, for different reasons.

Heck, Sherman was starting to look fragile in the Super Bowl with all the friendly fire hits he was taking.

40. AZBubba71 says:

The best punt returner, in my opinion, for the Seahawks was Paul Johns. Always felt like he was going to break one with each kick in his direction.

Best kickoff returner…Zachary Dixon. Didn’t have breakaway speed but would routinely return kickoffs somewhere between the 35 and 50 yard lines.

I don’t like the idea of using a probable future Hall of Famer at his position and possibly subjecting him to a cheap shot while he attempts a fair catch. Use someone with speed that has decent hands who will secure the ball first…and isn’t extremely valuable to the overall health of the franchise. Richardson, Lockette, Baldwin all come to mind.

41. I disagree with the premise that Baldwin should return punts because he is not essential to the team. Not that I don’t want Baldwin returning punts, I actually think he is the logical choice. Best hands out of all the candidates, and sneaky quickness and some speed. If you have doubts about ADB’s worth to our franchise, go and listen to his press conference again. What PC and JS say about Doug is pretty much what they said about Earl. Granted, DB doesn’t have Earl’s elite speed, but he’s got the quicks, and to our team, our offense and our receiving corps, he is invaluable.

Doug Baldwin is our default #1 WR until Percy can prove he can stay healthy for most of the year and be productive. Let’s say Percy or Sidney get hurt again. Would any of us really be surprised?
    Not so much, at this point. We would miss them, obviously, but not like the offense would miss DB if he went out for the year. That would be devastating to the offense and to the development of RW.

42. AZBubba71 says:

Not saying that Baldwin isn’t vital to the success of the team. However, I am claiming that his skill set can be more easily found than a lightning fast FS that can cover well, support the run, and gives the cornerbacks the freedom to gamble and occasionally make a mistake.