Seahawks don’t retain Ireland

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on May 27, 2014 at 7:54 pm with 16 Comments »
May 27, 2014 7:54 pm

After bringing former Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland in as a pre-draft consultant, the Seahawks did not retain his services, the News Tribune has learned.

The plan was for Ireland to be with the Seahawks through the draft, with the possibility of further work within the organization. The Seahawks decided to move on without him.

1. IDK exactly why they did not retain him, but I’m glad. I don’t think he promotes a championship atmosphere, and someone must have noticed that he has too much negative energy, maybe Pete.

2. MikePDX says:

Thank heavens!

3. jawpeace says:

I love our front office SO SMART and ClASSY!

4. jawpeace says:

“CLASSY”

5. joeradio says:

Meh. Didn’t think he’d last.

Checking the latest videos at Seahawks.com with Earl, Percy and Pete get me all fired up for the season. Only 99 days to go.

GO HAWKS!

6. yankinta says:

I think he wanted too much money. If that’s the case then I don’t like this move. He’s is good at talent evaluation and that can only add value to a stable organization like ours…

7. MikePDX says:

Disagree about talent evaluation. It seems to me that this “he is a awesome talent evaluator” is a “meme” that has caught on because no one questioned it. Look at his drafts (posted by a wise poster in the first TNT blog entry regarding Ireland, can’t remember the poster’s name), very poor.

Also look at Ireland’s standards for how he treats players and then contrast that with Schneider and Carroll’s standards. It is a night and day difference IMO and is most recently exemplified by the Garrett Scott (sp?) signing bonus that apparently was done out of good will/integrity/”class”.

IMO there is no question that Carroll in particular actually believes, and puts into practice, a “put the players first/take care of them” philosophy and it’s in pretty much everything he does. It’s a huge commitment to do this and takes a strong sense of self because he is going against the convention of the NFL (players more often thought of as commodities) so he gets constant flak and questioning looks from his peers I’m sure. Thank goodness we have PS and JS who are strong enough to do what they believe is the right way despite what others think.

It seems to me that that Jeff Ireland’s standards and the current front office standards would have been a toxic mix in the long term (that’s saying the same thing really as CCVI said in his first post).

8. MikePDX–Exactly.

Good riddance. Find a nice young guy, not a retread never-was jerk like Ireland.

9. tealskin says:

From the time his hiring was first announced, it seemed like a bad fit. Maybe he contributed in the draft, but I’m not sad to see him go. Make a mistake, rectify it, and move on.

10. juliusvrooder says:

John needed someone he knew to bounce off of in real time. Glad that Ireland was able to temp that role, and equally glad the organization kept the big picture in mind. Thanx Jeff! Have a nice flight to somewhere else!

11. Ireland isn’t fit to lick SM, or JS boots. Good bye and don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Guy is the anti PC, PC gives young troubled youths chances and is a friend to the community. JI is prejudice, and a horrible talent evaluations when Tuna’s not holding his hand

12. jacobhawkr says:

Off topic. What just happened when I went to the Seahawk’s page on my mobile phone. I don’t even have the option to see it in desktop view. Mobile views drive me crazy.

13. Singularitarian says:

Love it. Pick him up, Pick his brain on the draft. Get that POS out of here

14. Ireland is a horrible talent assessor. He proved that for years with the Dolphins. I think they brought him in to hear what he had to say and then did the opposite.

15. Singularitarian says:

They just wanted to figure out what he knows. Dude has friends, dude has acquaintances. Figure out what he knows about what teams were doing in the draft, then get him out