Quickee OTA report

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on May 27, 2014 at 2:20 pm with 26 Comments »
May 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Some quick-hitters before transcribing:

Pete Carroll reports: Malcolm Smith had surgery to remove some “loose bodies” from his ankle. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

Right now, Earl Thomas is the leading candidate to return punts, with Percy Harvin also getting a shot.

Kam Chancellor (hip) is expected to be back to full speed by training camp.

Sidney Rice was on the sidelines without a helmet and is expected to be back by training camp.

Marshawn Lynch was not present, Carroll said he has had contact with him.

Tarvaris Jackson was absent from the voluntary workout because of a family situation and he’ll be back soon.

Greg Scruggs was in at the 5 technique.

Tharold Simon did not practice but is cleared to run in the next few days.

Cassius Marsh was not there because his graduating class isn’t finished with school.

Jessie Williams didn’t practice but is expected to in the next few days.

Says LG James Carpenter has lost 15 pounds and looks better than he ever has since becoming a Seahawk.

Other attendance notes: Russell Okung was not in action (foot). Cliff Avril was absent. Paul Richardson did individual work but did not take part in team drills. Heath Farwell also sat out.

PERCY HARVIN NOTES:

Called it a blessing to be back on the field and healthy. Said he was “unsettled” after the Super Bowl, concerned that he didn’t do enough to help the team through the season. He’s looking forward to trying to return punts. As for his hip, he says he feels better than he has since before college.

EARL THOMAS NOTES:

“It’s fun to see us getting takeaways just like in the Super Bowl.” (The defense had two interceptions in team sessions).

He said he’s been waiting his opportunity to to return punts. “I want to score a TD.”

He said he was a little mad at Obama for even mentioning the 49ers at the White House presentation. “Why would he mention them? It’s our day.”

Cool thing in wake of Super Bowl? “Everybody calls me ‘champ’. That sounds good.”

OTA ACTION
Doug Baldwin was the star of the day, catching three long passes from Russell Wilson. Twice he ran past Phillip Adams, and another time he found the sideline window between Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas

1. seatowntp says:

I maybe be the outlier in this regard, but I am NOT excited to see ET3 running back punts.

2. SandpointHawk says:

Thanks Dave…

3. doubledink says:

seatowntp,
    Me too. I have visions of Kenny Easley blowing up his ankle which led to the end of his career.

Neither am I. I am hoping that is simply a short lived experiment. I have no doubt he would be extremely effective, but I do not like the idea of him taking additional hits.

Scruggs at 5 is going to be fun to watch. He has shown (limited sample size) a quick get off.

5. daveboling says:

Earl is pretty excited about it, though. He said he’s been lobbying for the chance, often going over there with those guys when it’s being practiced to sneak in and try to show them what he can do. Remember, he is on special teams units like the kickoff coverage, which seems to give you much less potential impact for the amount of risk.

Seem to recall that Kenny Easley returned punts. Bigger guy, of course.

6. seahawk44 says:

There are plenty of other candidates that can compete for the punt returner position. There is no reason to put Earl Thomas in a position to increase chances of injury. He is the main cog that makes this defense special, and if he is lost to injury, it will hurt the team more than anyone else would.

7. Ray_Maines says:

You can’t live/play scared. I worry that PH may not be elusive enough to get the first couple of steps as a punt return specialist. I worry that ET might not be able to catch balls in traffic. Both are more than fast enough (ya think?) to be the best returners in the NFL. Play ‘em every where you can for as long as you can.

8. Singularitarian says:

I would agree that Earl doesn’t need to be returning punts IF there was a close second. If he is hands down better than everybody else than I’m in. I wouldn’t want to see him running a punt back in the 4th quarter up by 17, but if your in the middle of a dogfight you gotta use your resources

9. please do not let the key to our entire defense risk his health by returning punts — – I’m already completely paranoid that he is going to get hurt during the parts of the game where he has to be in there.

10. SandpointHawk says:

Tad more info from ESPN until Dave fights the traffic and gets back to the office…

11. Southendzone says:

Agree with you all, no reason for ET to be back there running punts back. All you need is a guy who doesn’t fumble. Any ability to gain yardage after that is house money.

12. EzraMelech says:

Guys, come on. If he “is” the best option why hold him back. I understand the concern about injury, but injuries happen PERIOD. He’s just as likely (with the way he likes to hit, I swear he tries to imitate Kam) to get hurt playing safety. Do we say only use him part time at safety or in tough games?

Football is football, people “mainly owners” getting hyper sensitive about injuries is why we have all the stupid tackling rules now. I would hate to lose him to injury especially if it was returning a punt, however that being said the coaches have to play the best players at each position. If he earns the Punt return spot, well so be it.

I will say I was hoping to see Richardson get a shot at punt returns.

My2CentsWorth.

13. Skavage says:

Thomas is FAR more likely to get hurt tackling the way he does with his head down than he is to get hurt returning punts. That’s not to say he can’t get hurt returning punts…there is always the possibility…but his form tackling is dangerous and easily puts him at great risk unnecessarily. I’d love to see him learn to see what he is hitting, even if it cost us some yards or points. I truly fear for his well being everytime I watch him come up to take out a RB in the hole.

14. Ray_Maines says:

You guys are a bunch of …’s (it starts with a P, but I don’t know how to express it in a PC sort of way). You can’t play scared. Put the best guys on the field and let the game take care of itself.

15. Earl Thomas returning punts is retarded. Its completely unnecessary to have a guy not used to carrying and securing the ball doing so during a punt return. You might as well take a DT and make him play o-line….. oh, wait……

Seriously tho, doesn’t it make more sense to use Harvin or Baldwin or whoever? Guys who are used to securing and carrying the ball.

16. Not very impressed with the number of guys not able to practice.

17. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I’m excited to start reading about the Seahawks regularly again. I tried to give the Mariners a shot, but they are rarely on in Ohio. Moreover, they can’t seem to stay above .500, so Seahawk news is always welcome.
    That is except for the news about E.T. returning punts. Besides ball security issues, he’s supposed to give out hits, not take them. So I worry about his health and longevity. I’d rather see Terelle Pryor return punts than E.T. At least that way he earns a roster spot.

18. ohiohawkfan says:

Displaced – What part of Ohio are you located?

19. Southendzone says:

Kapernick may be the best and fastest athlete on the 49ers, whats the chance he returns punts?

Zero, because his main function is too important. Same goes for Earl.

20. banosser says:

One thing to say about ET returning punts… Jason Sehorn

21. jawpeace says:

Put me in the I don’t like the idea of ET returning punts.
    I do see the pros and cons of both sides.
    Remember years ago the best shut down corner in the game returned punts and that guy did not like to tackle. Aka Deion Sanders/prime time.

If ET would protect himself and not take extra abuse for just a few yards, I would be fine with that. Though I do remember people criticizing Shaun Alexander for trying to preserve his body when it looked like he would avoid big hits instead of going for one yard.

22. ChrisHolmes says:

“Thomas is FAR more likely to get hurt tackling the way he does with his head down than he is to get hurt returning punts. That’s not to say he can’t get hurt returning punts…there is always the possibility…but his form tackling is dangerous and easily puts him at great risk unnecessarily.”

Thank you for being a voice of reason.

23. CDHawkFan says:

If the choice is ET vs me, then I see the reason to want and tap into his talent.

If the choice is ET vs 3-4 guys on Hawks roster that are fast, have some moves, and aren’t in your ‘irreplaceable” top 3, then I think you choose letting the other 3-4 guys fight it out.

Is ET that much better of a returner than your 3rd, 4th, or 5th reciever, or your 3rd or 4th DB, or 3rd or 4th RB? Better, yes, that much better, probably not, not worth the risk.

24. Rubydog says:

Why not take just this all the way and have Russell Wilson return punts!

25. sherminator says:

I’ve thought that Dougie Fresh would be a good candidate for PR. Number one thing a PR needs to do is catch the ball, and DB has as good hands as anybody around. He also has shown some elusiveness with the duck and sidestep – his TD run in the SB showed exactly the kind of moves a PR usually uses to get past the first wave.

26. DB has returned punts in the past and I don’t know why he shouldn’t be on the list now…..

I am EXTREMELY worried when they talk about Walters – They guy can’t crack the roster but they keep bringing him back for some unknown reason!!!!