Wide outs stand out in first rookie minicamp practice

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on May 16, 2014 at 4:44 pm with 27 Comments »
May 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Former UW quarterback Keith Price lofted  deep touchdown passes to receivers Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood to highlight the first day of the Seahawks’ three-day rookie minicamp at the team’s headquarters on Friday. The first was a 65-yard score that traveled 50 yards in the air and caught Richardson in stride as he raced past cornerback Eric Pinkins. The second was on a play when Price had to scramble from pressure (and likely would have been sacked in live action). He found Norwood deep, who also beat Pinkins to come down with the ball.

“The receivers really show up,” coach Pete Carroll said. “T hey jump out at us.  Kevin and Paul (have) done really well the first couple days (this week) and they did it again today.” Richardson cause several balls during team drills. “There’s no question how fast he is,” Carroll said. “He’s got great speed.”

A lot of the coaching was teaching the rookies what is expected of them by the staff. Once Norwood caught a nice pass over the middle and headed back to the huddle. Receivers coach Kippy Brown hurried up to him and informed him that receivers are supposed to take catches like that all the way to the end zone, and Norwood was urged to go back and sprint down the field.

“It was fun to be the first day back out doing football stuff, since the ball game (Super Bowl”, Carroll said. ” It was fun to be back out and feel the energy of the young guys.” Carroll said the staff didn’t install much in the way of scheme because “we’d rather see them play than see them learn.”

Fifty-six draft picks, undrafted free agents and invited try-outs took part in the two-hour workout — the first of the three-day minicamp. Sixth-round tackle Garrett Scott was kept out because of problems with his physical. Receiver Chris Matthews also sat out because of hamstring troubles.

Holdover linebacker Korey Toomer, a 2012 draft pick out of Idaho had a good day, intercepting a pass and returning it for a touchdown. Toomer has fought back from knee surgery. “Korey’s had great workouts. He’s in great shape and he’s very determined,” Carroll said. “It’s exciting to seem him have another chance at it. We’re all pulling for him.”

Carroll cited Price’s familiarity with the system and the staff. The offense he ran under Steve Sarkisian at Washington was similar to the Seahawks’ offense, except for some of the verbiage.  Price agreed to sign as a free agent with the Seahawks after not being drafted. He didn’t wait for other offers, but agreed immediately because he wanted to stay in Seattle and play with the Seahawks.

Carroll said he and the staff haven’t spent a lot of time talking to the rookies about the Super Bowl win. “I think it would be wrong to just ignore it,” Carroll said. “We put in in perspective. It’s a a long time ago really … we have our sights set on what we’re doing now — having a great off-season. We’re really proud of what happened, but that really was the past so we go on and move ahead.”

The Seahawks will travel to Washington D.C. after practice next Tuesday for their Wednesday visit with President Obama at the White House. “That’s gonna jump on us pretty quick,” Carroll said. T “That’s a great honor for all of us. That’s one of the couple big things that happen in the off-season. That’s still part of the celebration. It will be great fun. The guys are looking forward to that. We all are.”

Other standouts include both lean, quick Leos — Cassius Marsh and Jackson Jeffcoat, who got good pressure several times. Aside from second-round tackle Justin Britt, another offensive lineman who looked promising was free agent tackle Garry Gilliam from Penn State.

I very happy to read positive reviews about Toomer. Incredibly talented.

More that the receivers, hearing that Price seemed to perform well is great.

Lastly, and sorry Dave as I do respect you; are we now simply calling any weak side end “Leo”? Or can we trust that they were in an under front? It may not mean much to most, but scheme-wise it is a very important distinction.

2. tealskin says:

That’s the second time I’ve seen Marsh called Curtis. Would think Cassius is kind of unforgettable. Thanks for the coverage. Enjoy your work.

3. Sekolah says:

Good point, Duke.

Based on what I heard directly from Carroll’s mouth via radio, Marsh is not being looked at as a LEO. They expect him to add a few lbs. and play the same role that Michael Bennett does.

4. Can’t wait to see the young bucks in action for ourselves but this is the next best thing.

After a, granted, short time of observation, who do you think is more psycho (in a good way) between Jeffcoat and Marsh? College reports seem like they are most likely to win the Breno (personal foul penalties) Award from a few years ago.

Butler was the slowest fast player I’ve ever seen. Does Richardson seem to have that quick gear that Butler never had to go along with his fast gear?

Thanks for your report and comments that you also leave us.

5. I doubt Brock Coyle has a clue as to how cool or important his number is to Hawk fans around my age (late-30s+)…

6. The Price is right bitch

7. WiscCory says:

I have a hunch this is pretty close to what Kiero Small might look like in an NFL uniform.

8. I’m with Tru.. So happy Price gets a shot at being a Hawk.

9. Macabrevity says:

Bobby K, I recall being at a pre-season game, one of Butler’s first and specifically trying to gauge his speed after having heard about his 40 and all that. Time after time I saw LB’s stride it out with him, without any difficulty, never saw any separation at all and I was looking at situations where there wasn’t any contact, just guys running downfield. I wanted to like him, but he made it tough with his really lackluster presence on the field.

10. bsinnitt says:

I’m a Husky fan and watched the majority of Price’s games. The last 2 seasons he was a classic example of a promising QB being ruined by a bad O line. He made some very questionable decisions as a result. I think his future is as a solid back up at this point. I don’t see him making the team unless he makes it to the practice squad.

11. “Aside from second-round tackle Justin Britt, another offensive lineman who looked promising was free agent tackle Garry Gilliam from Penn State.”

Any O-lineman looking promising is good news. Gilliam was a TE at PSU, had some pretty serious injury problems and due to a lack of depth on the line eventually converted and rotated in at RT in 2013. One year of experience but highly athletic. Here’s a read on him:

12. So where the WR good or Pinkins not good?

13. Macabrevity says:

I’m just guessing that getting burned early won’t put Hawk brass off of Pinkins. They’ve shown some patience when doing position switches, and CB/S is an area where we definitely lost/need some depth, so I think they’ll give him every chance.

Of those two rookies, I’m guessing Richardson will be the one that gives our starters fits, whereas I can’t see Norwood doing much once he comes up against the big boys.

14. seatowntp says:

BK, you are so correct. One of my all-time favorites, if not The One.

Some good roster info here-

Amazing that this team is so young and so fast compared to most other teams.

16. Hammajamma says:

Thanks for that link. Farwell jumps out as a potential cap casualty.

17. Dave Boling says:

Bsinnitt … I like your take on Price. Agree. I suspected he’d look good in the minicamp atmosphere. He really does have a strong, accurate arm — especially when not getting pounded repeatedly. He looked very much in control and very accurate in a situation where the defense was getting after him, but not hitting him.

Macabrevity … On the Richardson TD, he just blew past Pinkins, which I think is going to be something he can do to a lot of corners. I thought Pinkins should have intercepted the ball to Norwood because Price had to put a lot of air under it coming out of a scramble. Remember, though, Norwood is noted for being able to high-point balls and win the 50-50 plays. I think Pinkins will get increasingly effective when he figures out how to use his size and strength to press at the line and alter routes with some contact.

18. montanamike2 says:

Thank Dave the updates are fantastic. What time do the rookies take the field today?

19. Thanks for the great updates Dave. Not good news for Chris Matthews who is trying to win a spot in a crowded and talented WR pool. I like the height potential, but he’s got to get out there and prove his other attributes and show durability and toughness. Oh well, it’s only Day 1 of mini-camp. Patience (telling myself)…

20. Ray_Maines says:

I’ve got my fingers crossed for Eric Pinkins. I hope when he gets coached up he’ll be the right side CB of the LOB.

21. Marsh’s measurables from the combine weren’t exceptional, so I thought this non-contact camp may not play to his strengths. I think he’ll show better in real action. His nose for the football seems really good. It’s great to see him flash even in this camp.

22. SaigonSun says:

Not a fan of Crimson Tide and never will be… More I am reading about Kevin Norwood , more I am starting to like ( and respect) him : great athlete from high school where he played both CB and WR positions, to being McCarron’s safety blanket, to the fact he got his Masters ! Brains, speed, hands and athleticism = total package ! This young man is outstanding person and I am happy he is ours.
    The fact that 81% of his catches were for a TD or a 1st down is out of this world. Hard to believe he fell to 123rd pick.
    J.S./P.C. rule !
    I hope Paul Allen locks J.S. to be with the Seahawks for next 20 + years. Can’t let this man go elsewhere.

23. I’ll second that “emotion” to lock up J.S. If he stayed LONG term and hired PC’s replacement after PC retires I would be happy.

24. Well that Gilliam has all the aspects of a hawk late round steel. Triple major, switched positions and still getting stronger. If this draft is a success the next 5 years are going to be fun.

25. freedom_X says:

Pinkins is converting from safety to corner. It will take a while for him to adapt. He’s a project. As long as they see potential, and he earns his keep on special teams and on certain packages, he has a good chance. Byron Maxwell didn’t excite anyone here for his 1st two seasons.