Seahawks make moderate coaching changes

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on May 2, 2014 at 2:30 pm with 10 Comments »
May 2, 2014 2:30 pm

The Seahawks have named Will Harriger offensive assistant, Chris Morgan assistant offensive line coach and Chad Morton assistant special teams coach. Pete Carroll’s son, Nate, is now assistant wide receivers coach and John Glenn quality control/defense coach, the team announced this afternoon.

Harriger, whose career began in 2004 at Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, has spent the majority of his time on the defensive side of the ball, focusing on the linebacker position. He has also coached at Tennessee-Martin (2005-06), Auburn (2007), Texas (2008), Tennessee-Martin (2009), Texas Tech (2010-11) and most recently at Florida (2012-13).

Morgan spent the last five years with the Oakland Raiders (2009-10) and Washington Redskins (2011-13) in the same capacity. Since 2012, the Redskins lead the NFL with 4,873 rushing yards, leading Seattle by only 106 yards during that span.

Morton, a seven-year NFL veteran as a running back/kick returner, spent the last five seasons with the Green Bay Packers, serving the last four as assistant special teams coach. Primarily a kick returner as a pro, Morton aided the development of kickoff returner Randall Cobb, ranking second in the NFL with a 27.7 avg. during his rookie season in 2011 and becoming the first player in NFL history with more than 900 kickoff return yards and 900 receiving yards in a single-season in 2012. Cobb was named a Pro Bowl returner alternate after both seasons.

1. rodman says:

Did any coaches get let go? We already have one assistant offensive line coach and one assistant special teams coach.

2. SandpointHawk says:

Not to mention a blogger who knows more about the O line than all the Seattle coaches combined….

3. Southendzone says:

This is how Pete plans to win forever, gets his son in the game.

In 2055, the NFL will ban all coaches from the Carroll Family line so that other teams have a chance to finally unseat the Hawks from their unprecedented reign of dominance.

4. freedom_X says:

I’d like to learn how a coach “develops” a kick returner.

5. Southendzone–NICE! Gotta say, that was a pretty good dig!

But seriously, I know damn well Im not an offensive line expert. Ive said as much many times. I also think our line–and two current players in particular–have struggled so obviously it doesnt take an expert or a coach to see as much.

Im glad to see Seattle gave this dude a second chance. I wonder why he got his walking papers from GB?

6. Southendzone says:

That was SP Hawk with the dig. Don’t blame it on me.

7. Oh, sorry dude!

Sandpoint then, read above….

And its okay, I can take a good-natured ribbing…

8. SRVHawk says:

We’re all experts on this blog, right?

STTBM has made numerous good points about the o-line in the past. The criticism was too repetitive and hyperbolic for my tastes in the past though. Probably when he needed to vent some steam. Anyways, I have higher hopes for the line in 2014. Better health would be a huge factor. Young guys like Sweezy, Bowie, etc. improving and potential draft pick/s make me optimistic. I don’t expect or think we need a top-tier o-line. Top 15 overall would be okay with me.

9. SandpointHawk says:

Yes I agree Slave makes a lot of good points on the line. For the record I’ve never been a big fan of zone blocking either for several reasons. But that said, the dig was too good to pass up. Good to see you understood my attempt at humor….

10. Jusjamn says:

Doesn’t take a genious to see our O line sucks. I don’t know how those guys can look RW straight in the eye.