Seahawks decline Carpenter’s fifth year option

Post by Darrin Beene / The News Tribune on May 2, 2014 at 4:28 pm with 25 Comments »
May 2, 2014 4:56 pm

The Seattle Seahawks have declined to exercise guard James Carpenter’s fifth-year contract option for the 2015 season, the team announced this afternoon.

Selected by Seattle with the 25th overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, Carpenter has started 26 of 32 games played in his three seasons. In 2013, he played in all 16 games with 10 starts. He has played in one postseason game, starting at left guard in Super Bowl XLVIII vs. the Denver Broncos.

Before last season, Carpenter had two knee surgeries and struggled with his conditioning. He shared the left guard spot with Paul McQuistan, who left as a free agent to sign with the Cleveland Browns.

Alvin Bailey, who was an undrafted free agent that played in 14 games in 2013, will challenge Carpenter at guard.

1. GJGriz says:

Rumor has it that he looks like he is best shape now. Better late than never l guess.

Irvin next.

3. blocis says:

My prediction….. Carpenter is cut on or before the cut down to 53.

Same for Heath Farwell.

4. I really hope Carpenter IS finally in shape. I hope he makes me retire the nickname FatCarp for ever, plays well, and gets a nice contract from us….

We shall see..

5. BobbyK says:

Carp, to me, proved that he is a subpar NFL player last year (after two seasons of lackluster performances where there were plenty of excuses for his play).

If you aren’t a decent player by year three (non-QB) I think that pretty much means there’s a 95% chance or better that you are destined to suck (as there are always those rare exceptions to the rule – I don’t think Carp is going to be one of those exceptions though – he’s displayed nothing for us to think otherwise).

Sure, he “started” for the Hawks but he certainly wasn’t an asset on the ride to a Super Bowl title. In reality, the team won in spite of him and the “performance” they got from most of the OL.

As I posted yesterday, all Super Bowl winners have had different blueprints for success and players/positions that have sucked. The Seahawks were no different last year when they won it all but did so with a horrible James Carpenter starting for them (although we need to clarify “horrible.” If he was truly “horrible,” he wouldn’t have made the team. When I say “horrible,” I’m comparing him to most other starting guards in the NFL… not the back-ups, or guys who got cut).

If Carp returns, I hope he’s a back-up, not a starter and with the salary he’s expected to make… he shouldn’t be a back-up either (can you say “paycut?”). In reality… I hope he’s not even on the roster come week one. That’s how worthless I think this former first rounder is/was unless he takes less to stay (to make him “worth” the money).

6. BobbyK says:

I think the initial reaction from Nick Saban pretty much said it all when Carp was drafted.

He coached him in college, had coached in the NFL, and was utterly shocked that a “player” like Carp had been drafted in the first round. Sure, Sabans’ “first” (maybe only?) go around in the NFL may have not turned out the way he wanted, but he’s also won more college National Championships after returning to college (after NFL failure) than even our own Mr. Happy has so I’m pretty sure Saban had some credibility to “know” that Carp was going to suck in the NFL (initial reactions are priceless… of course Saban will backtrack and not throw a player under the bus after the fact…).

You show me a regime that never made a draft mistake, and I’ll show you those “people” in Antarctica celebrating the 4th of July (i.e. nobody is perfect on all their draft picks).

7. Ray_Maines says:

The draft is going to be interesting. If the ‘Hawks don’t draft an O-lineman it shows they have a lot of faith in Bailey and Bowie. I guess we’ll all know this time next week.

8. montanamike2 says:

I’ve been out all day and missed some good discussions. Frankly i’m totally shocked about Carpenter, well maybe not that much. I really liked what i saw in Baily and Bowie last year, i’m confident the o-line will be better this year. I think the cb we signed from Minny is a scumbag and don’t expect to see him after the cuts.

9. Skavage says:

Doug Baldwin stays home for another year and hopefully much longer. Whoohoo! Great day for the 12′s. Thank you Doug for being you. Your commitment during the week shows up and pays big dividinds on Sundays.

Oh…and take THAT Chris Carter. May you walk your pedestrian ass out of ESPN and the NFL. Baldwin puts in the effort to be the best while you pretend to know something about NFL players without walking your butt to the library to study them. But that’s ok, we understand what it must be like for you…playing second fiddle to Keyshawn and company. You could even say you’re the appetizer for the rest of the ESPN crew. And I suppose that has a little (very) value to their team.

10. Macabrevity says:

11. Macabrevity says:

O-Lineman are pretty tough to evaluate coming out of college in my opinion. I haven’t seen the stats on 1st round picks who busted vs. ones who cracked the starting lineup, but there are enough big name busts stuck in my memory to make it clear that it’s not an easy position to gauge.

I’ll go out on a limb and predict my OL busts for this years draft. Obviously to fit the bust category I have to select guys who are projected to go high…

I’ll start with Greg Robinson. Everyone agrees he’s a physical freak, whose only weakness appears to be pass-pro. Remind anyone of Jason Smith?

I want to name a guy like Cyril Richardson, but Fat-thletes who under-perform at the combine can still make it in the NFL. He got abused by Donaldson but I think Aaron is a future pro-bowler and a top-10 talent.

I’m going to go ahead and say David Yankey as my other bust. Recent Standford linemen seem to be maxed out by the coaching staff down there. Nothing to go on except hunch here…

12. Oldslow says:

My hope is that this is the motivated for Carpenter to begin working hard at his conditioning and knowledge. The first free agent contract is the key for the player who wants to be a real success, and to not be optioned to another year could be a wakeup call to the young man.

He has always been the biggest and strongest guy around, and now he may realize that that is not enough.

He can be good, but will he?

13. SRVHawk says:

“Glad my 2-year old doesn’t have to see these posts… he still refers to Hawks games as “James Carpenter videos.” No idea why, but who am I to question a young fan ;)

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/05/02/seahawks-decline-carpenters-fifth-year-option/#comments#storylink=cpy

That’s freakin priceless.

14. SandpointHawk says:

No offense but Yankey has already fallen like a rock. Early projections were late 1st round. He now is projected 4th-5th round and ranked at #151 by NFLDraftscout.com

15. AZBubba71 says:

That likely means that he will be our first round pick…and we will continue to get first round talent in the later rounds.

Wow! Bridgewater, now Yankey.

It makes me wonder if the teams draft boards reflect the same thing as the Draft experts boards?
    Or perhaps the Draft experts somehow get inside info how some teams actually rank these players and adjust their boards accordingly?

It sure would be nice to be a fly on the wall this time of year.

17. SaigonSun says:

Now, now, Mr. Bubba from Arizona. Little more faith in our FO, please.
    What we will do this year is : we will give all of our picks this year ,plus first in 2015 to the Jags for #3. With that pick we’ll select Manziel just to piss off Kipper, McShay and the rest of the ESPN idiots. We’ll let Manziel sit and learn from RW for a year while we win next year’ SB to make it a back-to-back. Then, we will trade RW to Dallas for 3 ( three) first and second rounders ! This will happen just because Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones. Manziel will go and win us 3 (three) more back-to-back Super Bowls before he is traded away in the same manner to Dallas ( because Dallas wanted Manziel in the first place and, RW couldn’t winn anything there b/c of Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones, and RW can’t stop clubbing and riding on supermodels). After Manziel fiasco, Jerry Jones will commit suicide by exploding the Jerry’s World stadium to fall on top of him.
    Pete Carroll will retire after the 9th ( ninth)consecutive Super Bowl
    win simply b/c he cannot lift any more Lombardi Trophies over his head and smile at the same time.
    Those will be the news in the near future. Book it!
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

18. SaigonSun says:

PS : I really hope I can live long enough to witness my predictions.
    PS #2 : How does Brotha find a smiley face around here?

19. It will be interesting to see if Carp shows up for the OTAs in shape and if he performs in TC.

The guaranteed salary for him with the 5th year option exercised was clearly not reasonable given his performance to date, and not exercising his option is good FO work.

Interestingly Carp was an ironman in ‘Bama and didn’t miss any games. He played in shape and played at close to 320 or thereabouts. Here he’s been injured and out, or slowed more than healthy, and he has had a weight problem right from the get go. He’s well regarded by the other OLinemen for his ability, but sure needs to work on his conditioning.

A good season for him with health and conditioning will allow him more ability to get a big payday, even if it is elsewhere, but only if he can demonstrate he won’t be off half the time with injuries. I think he needs to have a good and healthy preseason to learn his job better b/c so far he’s not demonstrated that he was worth the pick spent on him.

I sure hope the team doesn’t pick a G with their 1st pick b/c there are a few other positions I’d rather see bolstered and Carp will be in a contract year and motivated finally.

20. jawpeace says:

SaigonSun :)

21. princeaden says:

SaigonSun, I don’t comment much anymore but that was awesome. Best post in quiet some time. Al beit fantasy.

22. skystyler says:

so, he’s playing for a contract this year, if he makes the team?
    I think the FO took him in the 1st round because of his high ceiling, but what we’ve been getting is his floor to date. I reckon this is the year he comes good.