Earl Thomas reaches long-term extension with Seahawks

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 28, 2014 at 2:01 pm with 134 Comments »
April 28, 2014 10:42 pm

UPDATE: The News Tribune has confirmed Earl Thomas and the Seahawks have reached a four-year, $40 million contract extension. The Seahawks will have an 11 a.m. press conference Tuesday. They did not specify why.

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network first reported Thomas’ extension.

The extension will make Thomas the highest-paid safety in the NFL. Jairus Byrd signed a six-year, $54 million deal with the New Orleans Saints before last season, an average of $9 million per season with $26.3 million guaranteed. Some more details on the numbers:

The sides reaching an agreement is not a surprise. Thomas reached the point that opposing offenses predicated much of their plan on keeping the ball away from him. According to NFLSavant.com, opposing offenses threw deep over the middle a scant 1.73 percent of the time last season and only had a 40 percent completion rate when doing so.

Thomas, 24, was heading into his final year of a five-year deal, $18.3 million deal. Thomas is slated to be paid $4.725 million this season, a cap number of $5.473 million. According to the NFL Players’ Association, the Seahawks had $14,700,225 in cap space remaining before the deal.

The Seahawks’ offseason management of their salary cap space was designed around re-signing Thomas and cornerback Richard Sherman, who is heading into the final year of his deal.

Thomas’ range and attitude are crucial parts to the league’s No. 1 defense. Not only is he among the fastest players in the league, but he’s arguably the most intense.

Thomas moved into the spotlight last year, emerging from his quieter days as a Seahawks rookie in 2010. He is arguably the best player on the best defense in the league. He’s no longer the mistake-prone loose-cannon safety that coach Pete Carroll thought of benching or the quiet guy in a vociferous secondary.

Thomas has been named to three consecutive Pro Bowls, plus three consecutive All-Pro teams as a free safety. He’s a dad. He might be the most amped member of the “Legion of Boom,” challenging the man next to him in the locker room, Sherman, for that title.

“I want to take over,” Thomas told the News Tribune during the season.

In January, I asked him about heading into the final year of his deal.

“Why stress it when you know it’s coming?” Thomas said. “You just focus on what’s in front of you right now. It’s already been taken care of. Your play is going to speak for itself. They already know how valuable you are to the team and what you bring. Those numbers don’t lie.”

This is a further step toward that.

Next for the Seahawks will be how they handle Sherman. There is some thought the team wants to get both deals done prior to the May 8 draft.

1. FleaFlicker says:

Can’t wait for the details on this one. Get Richard Sherman extended and this is an A+ pre-draft offseason.

2. Macabrevity says:

LoB is the heart and soul of this team. Great news for the Hawks today. Let’s get Shermie locked up long term and keep this group together.

I know it’s unrealistic, but I sure love the way Maxwell plays, sure would be nice if there was enough cap growth next year to get him done as well.

3. montanamike2 says:

Great news!!!
    One more to go and i bet it’s done soon.

4. Withholding judgement until the numbers are released. Would rather they got Sherman extended first, but I’ll take it! As Thomas has already made 15 million or so, others should be paid first.

5. 27 million guaranteed is ridiculous! We all better pray he doesn’t go the way of Bob Sanders–sign a big contract, get hurt and fade out…

6. montanamike2 says:

10 million a year.

7. montanamike2 says:

We better draft that backup.

8. Southendzone says:

Wow, he will only be 28 or so when he gets another crack at free agency since it’s an extension.

Would love to see the cap breakdown, I suppose you add the current year salary to this, to arrive @ about 5 yr, 45M. Then this season, his cap is something like 5M, plus 1/4 of his new salary’s signing bonus.

Does that sound right?

9. awesome. and damn, earl is still only 24?

hope he’s a Hawk for life . .

10. Southendzone says:

If I were to rank all the players I was worried about giving a big contract to because I thought they would decline after getting paid, it would go like:

1: Shaun Alexander
    infinity: Earl Thomas

11. Very nice to have the qb/brain/conscience of our D locked up…

Now for Sherm, the heart and Soul if the D…

12. South: Hahaha!

Were you really worried about paying SA?! Most who say they were are lying with revisionist goggles…I admit I wasn’t worried so shows how much I know, eh!

13. boucherm says:

So the big question for me is whether it’s a new 4 yr deal, or 4 years extended to his current deal. If it’s the second, then it’s essentially 5 years 45 mil.
    As to the “guaranteed” money, what’s considered guaranteed now includes things like roster bonuses, money that can disappear when a player is cut. Hope he sees every penny, though.

14. boucherm says:

south–sorry for the echo, think you’re right, but a fifth of the signing bonus for this year

15. Great day to be a Seahawk fan. ET is awesome. But if I have one fear it is fear of a very serious injury to ET. He has a bad tendency to dip his head when tackling. After many, many years coaching I still cringe when I see a player do that. But that concern aside, ET is worthy of a big contract and I’m very happy for him. Time to get Sherman locked up and then make 6 very good picks in the draft.

I’m more concerned of Sherman getting injured after signing a big contract.
    Last I looked Sherman was walking on one leg.

biggest move of the off season (imo) including what happens in the upcoming draft.

17. jawpeace says:

STTBM totally agree with you. I was hoping they would get Sherm resigned first. As ET has already made good money.
    ET was supposed to make about 5.5 million this season. I am guessing that since it is an extension there will be no changes to this years salary? Therefore he is going to start making ten million next season.

If so we still have cap room to rework Sherm’s contract. If I am wrong then we only have around 10 million left for Sherm and the draft. Which would not work for Sherm, “money is respect”

18. Southendzone says:

STT, yeah, at the time I heard we re-signed SA, I was ecstatic. It was a different time.

HOWEVER, looking back it was easy to see what was coming. We knew all of SA’s history, mindset, & attitudes, just as we know all about ET now.

His teammates credit him with elevating their games due to his practice habits. He’s full of emotion & fire on the field. I nearly enlisted for the Marines after hearing his Superbowl pre-game speech.

I bet you that our current regime if you could put them back in 2005, would have known not to re-sign SA.

I thought SA was a great talent at the time, I think ET is a great talent and an intense competitor with pure motivation to be awesome.

“WE SPECIAL FOR A REASON! THEY DON’T MAKE EM LIKE US!”

19. I thought I jinxed us when I went out and bought an ETIII jersey last month. So glad to see this done.

And hats off to Ruskell for helping to make Thomas possible for the Seahawks to pick.

The second best thing he ever did for the Seahawks. Lol.

21. MoSeahawk12 says:

Earl has been incredibly durable and is young. Bob Sanders was hurt almost every year. I think we can look forward to Earl providing many years of top of the game play from him. We know have him locked up for a good amount of time and can scratch that subject from the to do list. Great day to be a Seahawks fan.

22. MoSeahawk12 says:

Now have him locked up.

23. vipermandan says:

Thank the good man above (John Schneider)! This was just the news I was wanting to hear. Now all they need to do is lock-up RS. Then the draft, but I think PC and JS have proven that they can do whatever they want, and it will almost always work, and work well.

24. SandpointHawk says:

Earl took the deal, that is very good news. Richard hasn’t taken the deal yet…his choice.

25. trout_hound says:

F*** yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! Go get ‘em, Earl!

26. Wanna win Richard Sherman’s Dad’s custom pickup–only $2.00

27. chuck_easton says:

It’s a four year extension to his existing contract. So, the numbers are going to be spread out pretty evenly. Now signed through the next 5 years.

We don’t know how the 27 million guaranteed is structured. Likely this season’s base salary of course, but I’m sure the rest is in future salary and roster bonuses so it wouldn’t necessarily go right to the cap.

Awesome news. Wilson’s all that remains.

Where are the people who were saying this offseason was disappointing or a letdown now?

29. doubledink says:

Wilson *and Sherm* are all that remains…

By nearly all reports, Sherman’s extension is all but done, so I was including that.

31. Getting ET and Sherm extended was my first two priorities this off-season. Great job getting these two guys in the fold if the Sherman stuff is indeed true about being locked up by the draft. I couldn’t be happier for these two studs who make our Sundays much more fun than they would be otherwise.

32. Singularitarian says:

I have always thought that Earl and Wilson are the two that Seattle CAN’T not sign. I am still not 100% sold that Sherman is worth 13m per year to this team. Not that he’s not the best, because he is, but which would you rather have. Sherman, Maxwell, Kam and Maragos, or Maxwell, Lane (plus Shead and Simon), Kam and Earl. I would rather have the latter, I think that there is better depth behind Sherman than Earl Thomas, and I think that the contracts of Sherman, Thomas and Kam is a little too much for a defensive backfield when it accounts for nearly 30 million a year. Maybe I’m wrong and the deal gets done today

33. It’s not like you have to choose between Sherman or those specific players. Sherman is a superstar at what he does. Would you rather Trufant or Winfield having been the ones to have covered Crabtree in the end zone in the 4th quarter of the NFC Championship Game it it meant saving money? While Earl Thomas was busy with a ball going between his hands and being caught for a TD by Boldin in the second half, Sherman was busy eliminating one side of the field for most of the game and then making the greatest play in franchise history when it mattered most. That’s a guy, to me, you keep.

34. Yeah, Bobby–No one wants to admit that ET flat out blew his main assignment in the NFC title game and gave up a TD…Not ONE person mentioned it on here.

Were ET or Sherm to leave this team, God only knows the things Seahawks fans would say about them.

After we won the SB, suddenly our jerseys sell…

After 30 years watching the Hawks, Ican say the current crop of fans are the most fickle in the NFL.

35. No one calls a spade a spade anymore is what I’m saying…

36. “Getting ET and Sherm extended was my first two priorities this off-season. Great job getting these two guys in the fold if the Sherman stuff is indeed true about being locked up by the draft. I couldn’t be happier for these two studs who make our Sundays much more fun than they would be otherwise.”

amen . . . and these guys, along with Kam, go a long way toward giving this team its identity and camaraderie. let’s keep it going.

37. Singularitarian says:

Marcus Trufant was not a Carroll pick, and Winfield never got a shot. I’m just saying the dropoff behind Sherman is not as drastic as the dropoff behind Thomas. Thomas is signed now, so that argument is moot. The argument I’m making is that having the Highest paid safety duo in the league to go along with the highest paid corner in the league is putting too much money at one part of the defense. Even though I will make the argument that the 2013 Seahawks secondary was the best in the history of the NFL, I just think 30 mill between 3 spots in the defensive backfield is crazy, that’s like 22% of the cap with a bunch of key players reaching the end of their cheap rookie deals

38. Ewalters7354 says:

Earl Thomas is the best safety in the Nfl period!No one is the perfect player,everyone makes mistakes,but the man can play!He’s a big reason why the Hawks allowed the fewest big plays and tied for tds allowed. That’s calling a spade a spade!

Richard Sherman and Kam are also key reasons,and they’re not even in their prime…

39. bsinnitt says:

Singular – I agree with you to an extent. On paper it doesn’t look wise to tie up that much of the cap in one position group but there are 2 reasons I’m OK with it. These particular 3 guys are still young, hungry and uniquely talented. The second is Carrol and/or Schneider have a unique ability at identifying defensive talent. That gives me confidence in their ability to replace players like Wright on the cheap when they’re inevitably forced to walk.

40. MoSeahawk12 says:

You mean the one play that Kap had about seven seconds to scan the field and threw the ball about 100mph and Earl still got a hand on it? It’s not like the guys was wide open in the end zone knitting a sweater. There is not another safety that would have been that close. Teams threw the fewest times down the middle and had the lowest success rate.
    The Seahawks gave up the fewest plays of 20-plus yards in the NFL, and Carroll said Thomas is a big reason for that.
    Doesn’t matter as he’s signed for the next four and will make 50 times the plays that he misses.

41. banosser says:

“Yeah, Bobby–No one wants to admit that ET flat out blew his main assignment in the NFC title game and gave up a TD…Not ONE person mentioned it on here.”

You mean the play the whiners successfully designed to get Sherman covering the flat which iso’d ET on a Boldin and ET only managed to get a finger-tip on the ball while fully stretched and Boldin managed a great catch in the endzone.. that play?

Obviously Thomas is overrated and how dare he make mistakes!

He must be traded immediately before he gets a season ending injury because he is just so much more injury prone than Sherman is.

Just calling a spade a spade.

For anyone that hasn’t seen it, the Jordan Lynch episode of Gruden’s QB Camp is worth your time. Impossible to not like this kid. If you’re looking for a developmental QB this is your guy. Additionally, he could run so many of the same packages they gave Wilson his rookie year.

44. mindnbrad says:

doesn’t seem too long ago when we had deion grant and brian russell back there. surreal that we now have who we have.

45. FleaFlicker says:

I have to agree, having almost $30 million per year tied up in three players (essentially half the salary slated for our defense this morning: http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Seahawks&Year=2014)) does make the eyes water a bit. But it comes down to hard football cap-ology. Are three guys out of 24 on the defensive roster (12% of the head count) worth 50% of the pay? We could debate that until next offseason. But I’m counting on PC/JS to make the right call for the team.

Personally, I think it’s worth it to pay them like the best players around, because they are the best players around. Scheme-wise, the throws and plays that Kam, ET, and Sherm eliminate from the playbook makes life easier on the rest of the defense. I think the most important contract after Richard Sherman is Ken Norton Jr. who has proven that he take athletes and turn them into clutch linebackers that play the game fast and smart.

Ultimately, you can’t just buy success in the NFL. You’ve got to make a call as an organization about what skill sets you’ll pay for and which ones you’ll develop. I think with PC/JS that development occurs in the linebackers and the offensive line. Speaking of offensive line development, I’m walking into SeaTac on Friday morning. See this big dude with a terrible haircut walking out of the parking garage and I realize it’s Tom Cable. I kind of did a double-take “I know that guy from somewhere” and when Cable noticed, he shot me this “I’d kill you if I wasn’t in a hurry” look. I’ll be honest, I was a little scared.

46. First of all, Earl Thomas is the best free safety in the NFL.

Second of all (or first of all prior to the first second of all – if that makes sense), Richard Sherman is the best CB in the NFL.

I don’t understand how people can say “one or another” when you have two studs on one unit. Both of these guys, along with Kam, give this team an identity.

Why can’t we be happy to have BOTH even though both players are going to earn and DESERVE premium salary for what they do?

Definitively saying you’d take Earl and let Sherm walk says, to me, you’re a fool.

Definitively saying you’d take Sherm and let Earl walk says, to me, you’re a fool.

How did it get to the point either/or? And what moron made that Sherm/ET either/or rule?

I love both and have consistently said that BOTH are needed moving forward, even at the expense of allowing others who can’t say they are the best in the NFL at what they do, well, walk away in FA in the future.

Anyone want to go back to the days where you have a slow statue at FS like Brian Russell? But he was “smart.” Anyone want to see Pruitt try to cover any WRs that are bad on a junior high team?

Anyone want to watch “highlight” tape(s) of Kelly Jennings in a Seahawks uniform?

The last time the Hawks had a dynamic duo somewhere, the GM was too stupid to keep them together because they had to “transition” him in the name of a few bucks. It’s a good thing this regime is smart enough to understand that you keep studs together.

Sing – please don’t ever say that I don’t know Trufant wasn’t a Mr. Happy pick. That’s like saying I think Blair Bush was acquired by Dennis Erickson to play cornerback and just retired a couple of years ago.

The backhanded criticisms of Earl Thomas in this thread are baffling. And quite frankly, stupid.

48. MoSeahawk12 says:

Grant and Russell would have fallen down at the five. Both guys did play with heart and effort, they just didn’t have the unbelievable natural ability as Earl or Kam.

I too don’t understand the either/or mentality. Sherman, Thomas, Wilson: the three pillars of this team. All three will be re-signed.

Brian Russell was awful in every NFL measure, as a Seahawk. The insinuation he had any positive influence during his time here is even more stupid than the Thomas criticisms. (Sorry if that offended anyone. But he was truly awful.)

51. MoSeahawk12 says:

It pretty unreal actually. We’ve never had a player with the ability Earl has. Guys like him don’t show up in the NFL every day. Earl makes plays other players can’t period. Beating the Boldin catch from the NFC championship game into the ground doesn’t change that. Please name any safety that gets near that play when the QB with the strongest arm in the league has all day as no pass rush gets near. Crickets.

52. bsinnitt says:

If and when Sherman re-signs it also ensures the LOB will remain together long enough to cement their legacy with respect to being the best secondary to ever play. We here in Seattle have seen them develope together but it didn’t seem they had the national attention/notoriety until the end of the ’12 season. Now they’ll be sure to have the time required for the national media to acknowledge the force that is the LOB.

53. vichawkfan says:

Credit Jeff Ireland for getting this deal done. Florida connections. Amen!

54. Isn’t Jordan Lynch a poor man’s Tim Tebow?

Lynch can actually throw.

Mo – Seattle has: Kenny Easley

56. grizindabox24 says:

Plain and simple, ET allows the Hawks defense to run the schemes they do.

57. MoSeahawk12 says:

Easley is one of my all time favorite players, but I’d say he was more Kam than Earl. Big hitter, but smooth in coverage. Kam isn’t at that level yet. Earl still have more gears than Easley. Easley would be in the Hall if his kidneys didn’t fail him. The guy was an all time stud!

58. MoSeahawk12 says:

Still have his “Enforcer” poster.

59. jawpeace says:

I thought by the end of the season that the most improved player on Defense was Kam. By playoffs and the Super Bowl he was a monster and for the first time I was glad that he got a big extension.

I don’t understand why so many always make it a Sherm or ET debate. We have both, we are going to keep both, both are studs, and both make the other better.

Yes those three DB’s take a big chunk of the cap. But are worth it you can build a D around them, they are foundations stones of the D. The Legion of BOOM!

Think about the fact the Lions are paying Suh around 22 mil. While we have two studs for that amount.

60. montanamike2 says:

jawpeace i wear a Kam jersey and did see his improvement towards the end of last season. That pop he put on D. Thomas at the beginning of the SB set the tone early, extra early, he’s also super intimidating for QB’s, WR’s and TE’s. All three are as good a secondary ever assembled by working together and not by being Revis “out on an island”. Locking up Chancellor last year and now Earl and Sherm next, gives us a contender for years to come. I wanted Tate to stay and give us that home town discount, but locking up the LOB is way more important, and neither Earl or Richard is as replaceable as Tate, not even close. Good point about Suh being worth those two.

61. montanamike2 says:

I hope we can squeeze in Maxwell next year and be a complete unit.

62. Southendzone says:

Agree with both jaw & mm2 about Kam. His game really stepped up as the year progressed. He’s always making those great hits, but some of the things he did in coverage too. The INT in the supberbowl was sort of a gift but he did have to adjust to the ball and make an akward catch. The INT vs SF though was really sweet, he disguised what he was doing and tricked Kap badly on that one.

63. TallyHawk says:

Calling out ET when he gets a piece of the ball which on any other throw would’ve been enough is asinine! Kap made a throw that few if any other QB in the league could’ve made and boldin made a nice catch. Those are plays you tip your hat say nice play and move on.

64. The Broncos signed Ryan Clady to a 5 year, $57 million contract last year. Manning is on a 5 year, $96 million contract. Ware is on a 3 year, $30 million contact. And the Broncos also signed Talib to a 6 year, $57 contract this off-season. They also have other guys making some decent money.

What does this mean on a Seahawks blog? There is no either/or with ET/Sherman (and Wilson). These are the three best and most important members of the Seahawks and you pay them and keep them in Seattle until they are too old to be effective anywhere else.

If you put a gun to my head, I’d take Sherman for the same reasons people used to say Walt was better than Hutch (more important position in the NFL), although both were equally as great at what they did at that time (’05). I backhanded ET, undeservedly, last night but I love that dude to no end and in no way, shape, or form do I ever want to see him in an opponents uniform. There is also NO reason to ever see him or Sherm in a different uniform either (unless they are long in the tooth and go somewhere else to “hang on” for a year or two while their skills are a fraction of their former Seattle selves).

65. And, yes, Kam was really playing at an even higher level for his standards towards the end of last season. He went from having a good year, to a great year, to an almost legendary run when it mattered most. I’m glad we locked him up last year so he wasn’t on a free agency tour last month.

Imagine Kam, Thomas and Sherman all rolled up into one. When ever I think of that Easley comes to mind.

We are lucky (imo) to witness the LOB. And especially to have them on our favorite team.

I too second that, Georgia. Kenny’s 32 interceptions in just 7 years speaks to how much range he had. It’s easy to remember him for just his big hits, but had “Thomas” range. (In no way is that a knock on Thomas: he’s on his way to Canton at this rate.)

68. yankinta says:

TallyHawk,, I agree with you. You can’t defend a perfect pass with perfect location & perfect velocity. :)

BobbyK, I agree with you but I think we’d let go Sherman if and only if he’s asking for a ton of money (somewhere around 15 mil a year) and another team is willing to give up Three 1st round picks for him… Again I said IF,, I don’t think that’s the case here but you never know..

I don’t like it when player refers to $$ as respect. I don’t think ET ever did nor RW ever will. That’s the difference between Sherman and ET/RW. Let’s hope Sherman does not turn out to be someone that we cannot afford.

69. montanamike2 says:

Sherman already said his contract should be signed before the draft.

70. Southendzone says:

All signs point to the Sherman deal getting done. He should be more motivated to get the deal done than the Hawks. If he were asking for something like 15M a year, the Hawks would say no thanks, wait til next year and franchise him.

In fact, they could even us the Non-Exclusive- Franchise tag on him and listen to trade offers.

This isn’t going to happen though, Sherman isn’t an egotistic jerk, both sides understand his market value and they will land on something fair.

71. PC understands how important ET is to this team. That’s all that is important at the end of the day. Berry and Byrd are very good players, but they can’t do what ET does.

72. chuck_easton says:

Sherman’s deal is all but done from some of the reports I’ve seen. Just needs to have Sherman’s X on the line and Sherm will be here for the long term as well.

I’m hearing long term, BIG guaranteed money, and average annual range of 10-12 per but likely closer to 12 than 10.

Still leaves plenty of room for Wilson next year what with the cap expected to grow from 130M to 150M next season and the team’s almost 10M in dead money attached to this year’s cap coming off in 2015.

73. chuck_easton says:

Baldwin is next in line. He is one of only three RFA’s to not sign his tender. But he also has not received any offer sheets from other teams. The deadline for any team to make Baldwin an offer is this Friday.

I am going to assume that as Baldwin hasn’t made any visits to other teams, and hasn’t signed the tender he and the team are still working to try and get a long term deal done before he has to sign the tender.

74. tealskin says:

In a competitive, capitalistic system money is a sign of respect, or at least value. RS has it exactly right. This is a business, first and foremost. RS is usually right even if grating.

75. yankinta says:

FOR those of you that say that Sherman deal is almost done, there’s one thing I’d like to point out… :)

This is not how this FO works. JS/PC works in absolute silence. For example,, there were not anything in the news about ET’s potential signing. Nor were there any news about us going after Harvin,, or when we signed the Avril/Bennett last year. There were no leaks by our FO… And I love that! :)

Then we look at other deals that never happened. We can see that there were noise about those potential contracts but it never materialized. For recent example, look at what happened with Jared Allen potentially signing with us,, there were a lot of noise about it before hand.

So when it comes to this FO’s dealings,, I’d feel A LOT better if we had silence about the potential Sherman extension. Hearing about it before it actually happens, makes me Very Nervous.

Chuck, volunteer your services to help get Baldwin signed long term and you will be up there on my list of favorite Seahawks fans of all time.

77. There is no consensus outside the Seahawks blogs that ET is the best S in the NFL, bar none. Period. Insisting he’s the best by far doesnt just make it so.

As for the play in the Title game that could have cost us the game, ET committed the Cardinal Sin for FS’s; he let the WR–one who isnt particularly fast–get behind him. You NEVER, EVER let the WR behind you as a FS!! He flat blew that play! (And that was the fifth or sixth time last year he did so) Saying he got his finger on it as if that makes it okay is asinine. Close counts only in horse shoes, hand grenades, and Atom Bombs.

Nowhere did I say that makes ET less than one of the best FS’s in the game. Too many idiots on here take any criticism of ET as if it were trashing him and saying he’s terrible. Get a grip. Of course he’s awesome and Im glad to have him locked up.

The thing that bothers me is the sudden disrespect towards Sherman, who IMO, is a better player at a much more valuable position than ET. Its ridiculous to bash Sherm and then gloss over ET’s sloppy mechanics and mistakes in coverage. ET makes far more mistakes than Sherm, and makes fewer big plays to boot. Most would say Sherm is the best CB in the NFL, though its far from unanimous. Not as many say ET is the best FS in football.

My comments were more directed at those that seem to be ragging on Sherm and glossing over ET’s mistakes. I can only imagine the things y’all would say if Sherm left Seattle….Suddenly, he’d be talked about on here like the National Media idiots did after his Crabtree rant…

Meanwhile, ET can do no wrong. There’s something wrong with this picture.

Dont get me wrong, ET is one of the best in the game, and well worth extending at a high price. In fact, now that we know his contract is really for five more years and 45 million, I think its a great, fair deal for both sides.

I think by the end of next season he WILL be the best FS in football, and everyone will admit it. By then, he will be the highest paid S in football. But not until. Genius on JS and PC’s part.

78. montanamike2 says:

Ordinarily i’d agree on that, but this is from Sherman himself stating he wants to be here with Earl and Kam. The money talk about respect is just to make sure he’s paid as a #1.

79. montanamike2 says:

Sorry STTBM, you posted before i could.

80. Kam was mostly healthy for the first season of his career. He’s always been capable of playing the way he played last year; its just nagging injuries slowed him. When he’s healthy, he’s a HOF caliber SS.

So, for Most Improved Defensive Player, I would put forth KJ Wright, who became the best LB in the NFL in coverage for more than a month before his injury–this coming after he was the worst LB in the NFL in coverage for the part of the season before that run. Ive never seen improvement like that at any position in my 30 plus years of watching football!

And behind KJ–and I mean JUST behind–I would put Malcolm Smith. 4 picks in a five game stretch including the SB! What a run!

81. I too want to see Baldwin locked up. He’s Bobby Engram with more speed and even more fire. You keep guys like him no matter what. And Kearse after that, if he has a big year. Tell you what, I’d rather keep Kearse and Baldwin than Harvin, if I had to choose.

82. Dukeshire–Yes, Russell was terrible. He was also making 2 million a year, not 10. Apples to oranges. Russell being terrible doesnt make ET better than he is.

83. Seattle can–and will–extend both Sherm and ET. Its a lot of money to pay for one position group, between Kam, ET, and Sherm, but those guys make this D what it is.

I dont understand how some idiots seem to make a connection between ET not being the unanimous Best In NFL at his position with having to go back and hire Etric Pruitt or Brian Russell. Are you guys on LSD or something?! One has literally NOTHING to do with the other!

84. Southendzone says:

STT, I’ve heard so many NFL writers & experts say that ET is the best safety in the league. It’s not because we think so here on the blog, he is regarded as the #1 by just about everyone. And even if you found someone who thought otherwise, you wouldn’t find a single knowledgeable NFL expert who would rank him outside of the top 3.

You’ve had an axe to grind with ET for a long time. Last year he got ran over by someone in the ATL playoff game, we heard about it forever!

The play in NFC champ, was on a scramble where CK extended the play and made a phenomenal throw. ET had decent coverage. At least go back to the INDY game where ET and/or Sherm blew that play vs TY Hilton, there was a true problem on that one for sure, but don’t call him out for one of the best plays in the entire 2014 playoffs.

85. TallyHawk says:

Here’s an article on the importance of ET to the hawks D.

If forced to choose, which I’m glad we don’t, I would choose ET. I say that even though RS is probably my favorite player right now. ET allows our whole D to be as aggressive as it is. He makes everyone better, even RS. ET is the best safety in the league in any defense. While RS is the best corner in the league in this defense I don’t know that he is in any defense, IMO.

86. chuck_easton says:

STTBM,

I think you are seeing this issue as an either/or just like you did with Tate/Rice.

It doesn’t have to be an either/or. The team very much needs ET running the show from the back of the D. They also need to get Sherman locked up. But Sherman has to want to sign that contract just like Tate had to want to sign the Seattle offer.

What people are saying is that the team couldn’t afford to lose ET. His ability to play sideline to sideline center field allows the three (or 4 in Nickel) other DB’s to play aggressive knowing ET is back there. That combination of speed, hitting ability, and cover ability is rare in a safety.

Yes, Sherman is the best CB in the NFL right now. And there isn’t anybody that is saying the team should just let him walk. But if the team can’t make Sherman happy short of breaking the bank, then the team can move on with another CB that may not be the BEST but isn’t in the bottom third in talent either.

Just as with Tate, and I know you hate to hear this, the team has to decide what their final offer will be. They have to be prepared for the player to walk. They did that with Tate. We hope they won’t have to do that with Sherman, but I have to say his recent comments about ‘respect is shown through money’ have me concerned. Is he going to be happy with being a high paid CB or is he looking to make CB salary history? Big difference. Sherman can be just as well paid as Revis and Talib are THIS YEAR, but that still won’t give him the all time record for CB pay of $16M per season.

Time will tell. All indications are that Sherman is going to get that 12M or so per year and all indications are he’s OK with that.

87. No, just as it wasnt ever either/or with Tate/Rice, its not here either. I just felt strongly that Sherm deserved his money first, and I didnt like the vibe I was getting from some on here who seem to be downplaying Sherms value.

The problem I had was that so many seemed to overvalue Rice and undervalue Tate’s contributions–and ignore the fact that he left his team for a big contract here, just as Tate did, only without offering the home team a small discount.

Tate made a far bigger impact on this team the last two-three years than Rice did, and Rice was paid 7 times what Tate was and had 3 more years experience. Not only that, but Rice was ALWAYS hurt, and Tate was our most durable WR.

Tate desperately wanted to be a Hawk. But they offered him an insulting 3.4 million a year, and then wouldnt come close to Detroits pay or Guaranteed money when given the opportunity.

Rice resigned because no one else that has a shot at winning wanted to offer him what we did. He had an offer from the Jets, and interest from the Jags and NO. NO wasnt gonna pay him what we did.

Ive said it many times, PC and JS didnt value Tate the way I thought they would, and Im baffled. Im ok with that too. Some things you never know. But the recent idiot comments regarding those players have set me off just like the glossing over of ET’s mistakes and the furor caused whenever anyone dares disagree with the Saint ET party line…

88. I think losing Sherm would cause as big a hole–or bigger–than losing ET. Im talking long-term here. We can get a fast FS to replace ET. They wont cover as much ground, but its likely they would be more consistent in run support and tackling and offer better size. It would even out.

Losing Sherm would be worse, as a shut-down corner is harder (and more expensive) to find. You also have to draft one higher than a starting FS.

Regardless, we should get them both signed before the draft, and everyone will be happy.

89. South–I have no axe to grind with ET. In fact, I love the guy. Go back and look. He’s the guy I hoped we’d draft with our second first round pick, and was ecstatic when we got him.

My problem is with those who simply cannot bring themselves to admit ET ever makes a mistake, the ones who have been insisting he’s the absolute best since he made his first Pro Bowl.

And no one has been able to logically dispute that he blew coverage that resulted in TD’s–and lost, or nearly lost games for us–vs Indy, Hou, TB, SF, and others. His sloppy mechanics in coverage and tackling have cost us, and its that inconsistency that keeps him from being the unanimous pick as best S in the NFL.

We’re arguing semantics, splitting hairs here though. I agree, the guys is up there with Weddle and Byrd as best FS in football. Pick your poison with those guys, you cant go wrong with any of them.

But the fact remains that he’s not the consensus BEST in Position across the country.

90. chuck_easton says:

STTBM,

Maybe you are missing the point? Could it just possibly be that ET’s deal got done first because he was ready to agree to the terms the team was offering?

It’s clear the team has been negotiating with both players all along.

But if ET has come to an agreement on the numbers why should he have to wait until Sherman finally agrees?

And what if the team never makes Sherman as ‘respected’ as he thinks he should be? Should the team risk losing both players because they have to show Sherman the respect by signing him first?

STTBM – I didn’t say that nor did I imply it.

92. Duke–You seemed to be implying that without ET we would have to go back to the days of Russel. I dont get it, your comment about BR makes no sense to me…

93. Chuck–Yes, I think its fair to say the team was negotiating with both players, and ET took his offer first. I have no problem with that, just wish Sherm had gotten his deal done first, and I was ticked at those who want to devalue what Sherm brings while glossing over ET’s admittedly few faults.

94. Youre right Duke, it wasnt you. It was Bobbyk. You simply responded and agreed BR sucked.

Sorry for putting words in your mouth.

Im still baffled as to how saying ET makes mistakes and istn necessarily the best FS in the NFL by a wide margin means we would go back to BR and Pruitt at S?!

Someone has been eating magic buttons…

95. These are some silly arguments.

Clearly the Seahawks value ET as the consensus top safety in the NFL – the contract shows that. As outside observers, we can offer all of our own examples and conclusions, but none of it matters. There are some other safeties that are also good. Whatever. As Sherman said, the $ in the contract will show how much the team values a player.

All players make mistakes. On defense, when the free safety makes a mistake it’s often magnified due to circumstances. If a defensive lineman doesn’t fill the right gap, few people notice. If ET misses a tackle in the secondary and the guys goes for a TD, it’s pretty noticeable.

96. eas–Excellent points.

I believe I am in a pissy mood, and it has nothing to do with football. So enough of my crap. I’ll post something when Im sane and logical again (if that ever happens lol!).

I think a few others could take a page…

97. chuck_easton says:

Hey Slave,

We’ve all been there at one point! Sherman will get done. Then we can all just be happy at least for the next year until this all starts up again in 2015 and we are arguing about how much it will cost to sign Wilson.

98. Brian Russell at four cents per year would have been overpaid.

99. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

i have not been posting much, too much life going on right now.

that said ET makes this D move. i struggle with the idea of paying Sherm 13 million a year. i think it is too much and would rather lock up wagner/wright and smith for same money. draft a couple of guys let sherman play out his contract and either franchise trade/franchise play.

i know this won’t be popular opinion but really think on it who could you sign with that money? avril? wagner/wright/smith? you commit that kind of money to him and he goes down there is a huge hole. you sign all 3 LB one goes down it is next man up.

100. Southendzone says:

Earl IS the consensus best safety. I don’t say he’s the best because I think so, I don’t watch enough football to know if it’s true. I say it because national writers & people who know more about football than I do say it.

For example:
    Doug Farrar, SI

Darren Woodson:

Robert Mays, Grantland

Demarius Thomas:

101. MoSeahawk12 says:

Earl Has been discussed as the best safety by those sources and many more over the past several years. This is NOT just an opinion from this blog. He has been voted All Pro three years running by professional football writers that watch every player. None of those votes come from this blog. Nice try. Facts get in the way of your opinion.

102. Mo–Yes, as I have said plenty of people believe ET to be the best FS in football. But plenty more do not believe he is the consensus Best Of. Watch ESPN, read SI, check out all the many talking heads on NFL.com…You’ll see what I mean.

But dont let facts get in the way of your opinion.

One current and one former NFL player plus a writer from SI and one from Grantland do not consensus make.

103. grizindabox24 says:

I will once again state that ET is the most important player on the Hawk defense…

104. Southendzone says:

While the top 4 examples i could readily google dont make a consensus FOR Earl, your entirely unsubstantiated claims don’t do anything to disprove him as consensus best.

105. Southendzone says:

Just find a single credible NFL source saying something like “ET is NOT one of the best safeties in the league”

106. South–I never said anyone would say “ET is NOT ONE OF THE BEST s in the NFL”. That would be asinine. Of course he’s one of the best! No sane person would say he isnt. But thats not what we’re discussing/arguing about. We’re arguing about whether ET is the consensus BEST S in the NFL!

My opinion is he isnt the CONSENSUS “Best S in the NFL”. And my opinion on whether he is, or is not THE BEST, is irrelevant in the argument regarding whether he is the consensus around the league and in the media.

In the past year, Ive heard current and ex NFL players and numerous talking heads call him One of the best, but Ive heard those same folks name other S’s as the best, including Weddle, Byrd, etc.

I dont see how anyone can claim there is a consensus Best S in the NFL right now. After next season, my bet is there will be, and it will be ET. For now, he’s not quite there and he’ll have to be there for awhile before he gets the recognition. Thats all Im saying.

107. grizindabox24 says:

STTBM, sort of like being the worst poster….you may not be the worst, but you can be among the worst

108. MoSeahawk12 says:

and Josh Brown shakes head….if only I could find that little happy face.

Sorry STTBM, you lost all credibility with me regarding your value of Thomas with that 9:14 am post.

Do you really think it would be that easy to replace Thomas by simply finding another safety that is fast and/or is a better tackler?
    Safeties like Thomas don’t come around but every 5-10 years and then your team has to be lucky enough to draft them.

The only other explanation for your post is that you momentarily had a post fart.

110. MoSeahawk12 says:

The Associated Press 2013 NFL All-Pro team selected by a national panel of 50 media members: Not opinions of this blog. Ask Richard Sherman how he feels about the respect that All Pro means VS Pro Bowl.

All-Pro 2013 Safeties: Earl Thomas, Seattle; Eric Berry, Kansas City.
    2nd Team: Eric Weddle, San Diego; Kam Chancellor, Seattle, Jairus Byrd, Buffalo, T.J. Ward, Cleveland, Devin McCourty, New England and Antrel Rolle, New York Giants.

All-Pro 2012 Safeties:S Earl Thomas, Seahawks S Dashon Goldson, 49ers
    2nd team S Eric Weddle, Chargers S Jairus Byrd, Bills

All-Pro 2011 Safeties: Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh; Eric Weddle, San Diego.
    2nd team: Ed Reed, Baltimore; Earl Thomas, Seattle.

111. Griz–Thank you so much for gracing us once again with your uniquely insightful grasp of all things football. My own poor understanding of the game owes a great debt to your literate and skilful comments on this blog.

Georgia–No player is irreplaceable. Of course our Defense would take a step back with anyone other than ET back there; but it wouldnt destroy it, and finding a Pro Bowl-caliber FS would be easier and cheaper than finding a Pro Bowl caliber CB, at least in my mind. I think it would be harder to replace Sherm than ET, and our D would suffer more by losing him. The good thing is, we should be able to keep both and so not have to worry about that hypothetical horror.

And I could change my mind tomorrow on that one–Ive gone back and forth over which is more important to our team/harder to replace etc….besides, its a purely hypothetical armchair GM exercise anyhow, nothing to get so worked up about…

And judging by some of your past comments towards me (the REALLY Out-There Ones), I wasnt aware I had any credibility in your eyes anyhow?!

Mo–Yes, Earl got All-Pro. Was he the consensus choice? Was he unanimously voted in?

From all the media, players, coaches, etc that I have seen/heard discuss the matter, there is no clear consensus that ET is the best. Perhaps you saw/read/heard a different batch of people, and the majority of them believe him to be the best. Thats fine. I still believe far to many people dont have ET as the best S in the game for everyone to proclaim its consensus.

Regardless, I dont think its something to insult others about, as Bobbyk and several of you feel the need to do. Im done arguing about it, its a stupid argument anyhow. Everyone loves ET on this blog, and we all know not a one of us would trade him for anyone playing today.

112. yankinta says:

grizindabox24,, speaking of worst Posters,, where do I rank? Gotta be among the best right?? lol..

So now you go from it will even out to our defense would take a step back if Thomas was replaced to I could change my mind tomorrow on that one.

Don’t you understand that when you start calling other posters idiots and popping pills for there opinions on this topic it would be better for you to at least come from a less waffling position with your viewpoint?

Just seems odd to me.

BTW if I didn’t think you had any credibility I wouldn’t bother challenging you when I don’t think you do so much at times.

115. MoSeahawk12 says:

No, P Manning was the only unanimous choice in the NFL. I put that list out there to provide evidence that fifty professional sports writers declared Earl Thomas the best at his position. Three years in a row. You said that the people on this blog thought he was the best and that not that many others agreed outside of here. Well, the fifty members of the AP don’t hang out on this blog. I really don’t see anyone else arguing against ET other than you. You have stated that many here don’t see Earl as the best, yet you don’t provide any sources to back that up. Several posters have called you out on this and not one has come to your aid.

I’m certain that everyone here, including you, know Earl is critical to the success of this team. You can’t just plug in another fast guy at safety and run Carrol’s D. As is Sherman, Wilson, Lynch, Kam, Bennett, Baldwin and I’d throw in Mebane as well. The good news is that all of them are currently under contract(Baldwin has till Friday to sign his deal) and will play a huge part in our chances of repeating as Superbowl champs.

116. Mo–I watch/read more football and Talking Head crap than most, and the talk about Et being the best or not always includes him, but in my experience he’s not the consensus choice. The subject is something Ive paid attention to for years. I havent provided sources because I dont write guys names down every time I watch/read a comment about ET; I guess some do.

Like I said, if the media you’ve seen is a different bunch, thats fine. It would be cool to have a poll of current and former NFL players and coaches pick the top FS in football, and see how that turned out.

I still dont think its as cut and dried as so many here seem to think, but I cant really understand why folks are getting so pissed about it.

Georgia–Give me a break, Im commenting in a hurry between work! I dont think our D would fall apart if we lost ET and then found a merely Pro Bowl FS. They would adjust and it would even out–eventually. Sure, the immediate aftermath would be tough to deal with, but its not like our whole D falls apart permanently with anyone other than Earl back there. Does that explain my position enough?!

And dude, its guys like Bobbyk and others who have been labeling anyone who disagrees with them as idiots lately who got me responding in kind. I will only take so much of that garbage before I shovel it back…

117. This fight is getting old and tired. STTBM just doesn’t see ET like most of us, the vocal ones anyway, see him. That’s okay. Some of his defenses of his position do seem at least semi-delusional though.

It came out after the game that Sherm was the one that blew the coverage against Indy for the long TD to Hilton. ET did miss a TD saving tackle, but he did not make the primary mistake. And tackling a fast, shifty guy like Hilton in the open field is incredibly tough. I was at the Minne game where Sherm got completely burned for a TD versus a nobody WR. Everyone gets beat and makes mistakes. You lose credibility when you fail to place that into context.

I don’t understand how you think it’s so easy to draft a FS that is fast and is a better tackler than ET. I hope you misspoke there. There are 3 free safeties that run a 4.45 or under in this draft. One is projected as a 2-3 round pick and the other 2 are projected either in the 7th or as an UDFA. I highly doubt any has close to the field coverage or tackling ability that ET has right now.

118. SRV–I never said Sherm–or anyone else, for that matter–is immune to making mistakes. Im simply tired of the attitude of a vocal group here who absolutely come unglued the instant anyone makes a comment that is anything less than “ET is the best in the NFL”.

I can understand that many do not wish to discuss the matter to the extent its been hashed over here; Im there myself.

I have also never said it would be easy to find a FS as fast as ET; I merely said its not impossible to find a merely Pro Bowl (as opposed to All Pro) FS with speed. You dont have to be ET fast to be fast enough. ET is the fastest FS in the game, and it wont be easy–or maybe even possible–to find someone that fast; you’d have to settle for someone merely fast, with better size.

As for it being all Sherms fault on that Indy TD, Im not buying that one at all. It was a miscommunication between the two, and however you slice it, they were both at fault; but ET had deep contain, and he let the WR get behind him. ET doesnt get a free pass. I think they just said what it took to make the matter die; they arent going to go into detail and tell the whole truth.

And that doesnt touch his huge mistakes vs TB and HOU, where he got beaten by nothing WR’s and TE’s as well because he guessed wrong and blew deep contain.

For the final time, I love ET and the guy is awesome, and he’s in the conversation for best FS in the NFL. He misses too many tackles and shows poor tackling technique, which makes me hesitant to crown his ass King of All just yet. But I think he will get there by the mid-season mark this year, and I cant wait to see it.

STTBM, Ok, I wasn’t aware there was a thing going on between you and Bobbyk.

Believe me I know how hard it can be but It’s just best not to get pulled into the name calling stuff.

120. jawpeace says:

Since we are all giving STTBM some love today, I thought I would throw a little love his way. I have a little objection to this paragraph you wrote.

“As for the play in the Title game that could have cost us the game, ET committed the Cardinal Sin for FS’s; he let the WR–one who isnt particularly fast–get behind him. You NEVER, EVER let the WR behind you as a FS!! He flat blew that play! (And that was the fifth or sixth time last year he did so) Saying he got his finger on it as if that makes it okay is asinine…”

When teams are close to the end zone in the red zone. There is no getting beat deep. Defenders frequently use the back of the end zone as an extra defender. So you belittling ET for this is wrong. If the Defender was behind the player it would have been a cinch for the TD pass. Because their would have been a clear lane between the QB and the WR. ET was blocking the passing lane. You have to give credit to Kap for the throw it was perfect. So fast it went between ET hands before he could intercept it. Also the throw was perfect as far as height as a high throw would get the WR to far off the ground making the catch and then ET or someone else could shove the WR out of the back of the end zone. So I disagree with your assessment of ET blowing it. Does ET make mistakes of course. That play I credit Kap for a perfect throw.

121. grizindabox24 says:

STTBM, mine was more a general knowledge post

122. jawpeace–We see that play differently. I played FS in HS, and of course Im not saying our crappy school ran the same scheme as the Hawks (and Lord Knows I was never an actual athlete), but you dont let the WR get behind you if at all possible. And if ET was trying to use the back of the endzone, he came up waaay too far. If you watch the play, ET took a calculated risk and lost–he forgot he’s pretty short, and ran up too far; Kap made a good throw, just as they drew up most likely, and ET got burned.

Thing is, I saw that whole thing coming before it even happened. He misjudged how far to come up. Had he stayed back just a little, he would have picked that ball and instead of me calling him out for gambling and losing, we would all have been praising his instinct and balls! Thats the way it works when youre a FS–todays hero is tomorrows goat lol!

Of course I give credit to Kap for that throw, it was perfect. But as a FS, your job is to make him throw it where it cannot be caught. Or pick it.

Anyway, its ok with me that we see that play differently.

123. Georgia–Its not personal with me towards Bobbyk, its just that he’s pretty much only showed up lately to call anyone who disagrees with his opinions an idiot, and he’s not the only one. So I got a bit bent out of shape. If you scroll up on this thread, and the last one on Sidney Rice, you’ll see what I mean.

Whats funny is I was thinking to myself dude was awful grumpy lately and maybe should take a break, then I get worked up about non-blog stuff and come here and get all humpty with people on here…

I suppose I should follow my own advice…

Take a break STTBM and I will promise to stay on the wagon.

125. “I think losing Sherm would cause as big a hole–or bigger–than losing ET. Im talking long-term here. We can get a fast FS to replace ET. They wont cover as much ground, but its likely they would be more consistent in run support and tackling and offer better size. It would even out.”

STTBM, that is what you wrote, word for word. That is what I responded to. I know you didn’t say that they could get another FS as fast as ET. I simply pointed out that the only free safeties available in the draft that even approach ET’s speed are mid to lower tier prospects. They would almost undoubtedly be a giant drop in play. There aren’t a bunch of Berrys and Weddles growing on trees.

I am almost certain that PC said that Sherm was the one that blew the coverage in the Indy game. I’ll take the architect of the defense’s word over yours. You’re free to believe what you want. I’ll believe PC.

And insinuating that ET supposedly lost or almost lost the games you mentioned with a mistake is just myopic and asinine. I guess one mistake wipes out his entire impact on the rest of the game? You have the right to view ET however you want, but you shouldn’t be surprised that most here don’t agree with it.

126. MoSeahawk12 says:

Slave to the Beaten Mule. As the last few threads and the next few reveal, it’s really not that anyone that questions or makes comments regarding Earl’s play as you are literally the only one every time. This has followed the path for months. It basically becoming like the one that always says how lucky and bad Andrew Luck is. Making sure at every chance to offer that up for discussion. People finally started to avoid that discussion and hopefully will follow with this one on Earl. Although based on the one after this maybe not.
    Three things we know. You feel the Oline is the worst. Golden Tate is the best receiver and the team blew it by not paying him. Earl Thomas is not the best safety and we could replace him and remain successful.
    At least your dance card is full.

127. Mo–Thats not true. Im very disappointed we let Tate go, but Im okay with it. They saw something I missed, or know something I dont (uh, I mean regarding Tate’s value…I think its obvious they know a hell of a lot I dont know about football lol!). He was the best WR on our team the last two seasons, by a good bit, IMO.

Im not convinced there is a clear-cut consensus that ET is the best FS in the NFL across the US. I think he’s damned close, if he isnt there already, and I fully expect him to remove all doubt next year. Ive said that repeatedly, but you keep trying to twist it.

Anytime anyone mentions ET making a mistake, or says anything other than ET is the best FS in the NFL, the hue and cry on here is deafening.

And dude, if you are tired of discussing/arguing this topic, then let it alone. Thats what I do when I dont wish to discuss a topic…I leave the topic for those who DO wish to discuss it…

128. SRV–Yes, I think it would even out. Im talking long-term, not from game one as a rookie. ET’s speed is somewhat mitigated by his sloppy mechanics and penchant for overrunning plays and gambling and losing, though the only time I can think of him screwing up off the top of my head in the last quarter of the season was the TD in the Title game. Which shows how close he is to being what most on here insist he’s been for years–the best in the game.

129. grizindabox24 says:

STTBM has to be single…there is no way another human can live up to his expectations

130. Actually, Griz, I only hold football players and bloggers to this level lol!

I work away from home, which may (in part) explain my occasional fits of grumpiness–like todays.

131. MoSeahawk12 says:

Pretty chippy today. Hopefully you’ll be back with your family soon.

132. MoSeahawk12 says:

Or maybe eat a Snickers…..