Seahawks hire former Dolphins GM Ireland as pre-draft consultant

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 26, 2014 at 12:05 pm with 34 Comments »
April 26, 2014 6:10 pm

UPDATE: I can confirm that the Seahawks have hired Jeff Ireland.

Alex Marvez of Fox Sports 1 first reported the Seahawks have hired former Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland as a pre-draft consultant.

Ireland was the Dolphins’ general manager from 2008-14. He was hired in Miami by Bill Parcells after the two had worked together in Dallas.

Seahawks senior personnel executive Scot McCloughan resigned earlier this week for personal reasons. Ireland was likely brought in to add another voice to the front office during the pre-draft process. Marvez reports Ireland will be considered for a full-time role after the draft.

In 2010, Ireland had to apologize to now-Dallas wide receiver Dez Bryant for asking him if his mother was a prostitute during a pre-draft interview. He also had to apologize in 2012 for calling a fan a derogatory term after the fan approached him at halftime of a game and said Ireland should fire himself. The same year, a portion of Dolphins fans also paid to fly a banner above the stadium calling for Ireland’s dismissal.

Ireland was still in charge of the Dolphins when the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin turmoil turned into national news during last season. Miami announced in January that it and Ireland were “parting ways.”

Though, Ireland has an extended career as an NFL scout. He began in the NFL as scout for the Kansas City Chiefs from 1997-2000. The Cowboys made him their national talent scout from 2001-05, before promoting him to vice president of college and pro scouting. In 2008, he was hired by Parcells — who said in 2013 he no longer speaks to Ireland — to be the Dolphins’ general manager.

His role with the Seahawks is, for now, a consulting one. Fox Sports reported that he will be considered for a long-term role following the May 8 NFL draft.

1. tchristensen says:

They couldn’t run him out of mIami fast enough.

2. Why do I feel like Scot McCloughan’s wild aS3ed guess draft pick after an all night bender is 10x better than Ireland’s most sober and well thought out draft pick?

3. The Seahawks Draft Board is Already Set!

4. EarthWindNdHawks says:
  5. Look on the bright side. His picks in first round are not so bad.

6. EarthWindNdHawks says:

Matt Millen wasn’t available?

7. bird_spit says:

On a brighter note, it could have been buzzkill..I mean Ruskel.

8. vichawkfan says:

Joking right?

9. seahawksteven777 says:

Typical. Everyone overreacting.

10. I am not a fan of Ireland personally, stemming from the ridiculous and offensive questions he purportedly asked Dez Bryant about his mom. And his free agent signings last year were atrocious, especially the monster contract given to Mike Wallce. But, he has had a hand in bringing in some top notch talent like Cameron Wake, Paul Soliai, Mike Pouncey, Jake Long, Brent Grimes, Ryan Tannehill, and Brian Hartline.

No decision gets made without PC’s approval, so Pete approved this hiring. I’m thinking JS was caught off-guard by SM’s sudden resignation and was left scrambling for some extra manpower right before the draft.

12. Dang, the only thing I can think of here is Schneider looking to get an edge via additional pre-draft intel. If you go back and look at the moves this guy has made and the distrust with players and others etc. he doesn’t fit the SEA model at all. I remember every year thinking, “how can they not fire this guy (Miami)”. It really was similar to the Matt Millen situation in that regard. I mean people were staging protests outside their headquarters calling for Ireland’s head. Knowledgeable sportswriters were calling him a joke. I really hoped he doesn’t get hired long term. If it’s for pre-draft intel or whatever that is fine. We’ll see I guess.

13. ChrisHolmes says:

This is just the Seahawks FO being thorough, leaving no stone unturned. Ireland has been doing his own research, prep, etc. I’m sure PC and JS will ping him for all his data and opinions, to see if there is something Ireland knows or has uncovered about a player that Seattle is interested in; something Seattle’s FO doesn’t yet know.

Nothing wrong with having another voice, another book of knowledge and opinions in the room.

14. I really hate Jeff Ireland, and wish Dez beat the crap out of him when he had the chance. The only reason I’d bring him in is to see what players he liked so I could avoid them like wildfire. He basically lucked out landing Wake, but he also let Brandon Browner leave without signing him during the same time period.

15. Screensmoke says:

Funny thing is you are all missing the boat – the guys one of the best talent evaluators in the last 20 years- he may be a totall a hole – don’t know don’t care- and a bad GM but as far as scouting-top notch- knows the top talent and has the connections at the college level – smart move JS/PC- really a no brainer!- YES I’ve Hurd all the stories 50/50 on if he really is that much of an a hole?

16. Screensmoke says:

My experience has been is tgat a writers opinion is about as good as mine:-)who cares

17. Hammajamma says:

Easy not to like this guy based on his history of attention getting problems. Seems Schneider is giving a second chance to an old colleague the same as any player. This is his tryout. If it clicks in the draft room, he may be in as McCloughan’s replacement.

Does he have the judgement to manage an organization? Well, he won’t be given that opportunity with Seattle.

18. EzraMelech says:

I’ll agree the guy “appears” to be a piece of work personally. Professionally, however, as a talent evaluator he’s top notch. As a GM he appeared to be horrible, that doesn’t eliminate what he’s good at though. Remember JS and PC like to look at the “whole person” and bring out the best in what they are good at. I believe that’s why we have some much top talent on the team. How many players have we moved there college position because PC saw something in them and used them to there “strengths”

Mike Holmgren I think can be considered one of the best coaches of our time. He absolutely bombed as a GM though. Does that make him any less of a good coach? NO. I don’t know Ireland and what I’ve heard doesn’t make me inclined to like the guy. That all being said, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with him being brought on board and using his strengths “His Talent evaluation and Knowledge of players”

Giving someone a 2nd chance, and playing to their strengths is smart move IMHO

My2CentsWorth

19. Bill Parcells, who knows more about football than any of us on this blog, brought him to Miami with him for a reason. He may have sucked as a GM, but obviously has some qualities. Remember when Red Bryant sucked as a DT and then he was put in position to use his strengths at strong side DE? You get people with different skills and use their good skills to your advantage. It’s not hard to figure out. It’s not like Mr. Happy and the Duke Boy are bringing him in to run the draft, but they are interested in potentially tapping into his football knowledge (which is what smart people do).

Quit being reasonable, Bobby.

21. If he can fix our first round evaluation, I am all for it.

22. Yup yup, this dude sucks as a GM but he is very good at finding late round picks and UDFAs. That is how he found Cameron Wake and several others. I love this move!!! :)

23. MoSeahawk12 says:

Posted a few threads back, but worth revisiting. Thank you for digging this up. I remember many of the draft experts gave us pretty low grades for our 2012 draft. I saw plenty of C- and a few Ds. That draft class just won a Superbowl! My Father N Law was reading a current draft mag and they gave us a C+ for last season. I find it amusing as our team is now drafting for depth and not counting on guys necessarily stepping in day one and starting. Our draft picks don’t have to make or break our season. They are stocking up for a few seasons down the road. Many of us have been following this team for decades and that wasn’t always the case. Some years we had to have our first, second and third rounders start just to get to 8-8 or 9-7. It’s nice being on top. I’m hopeful for an extended stay here.

24. jawpeace says:

I knew many whiner fans are stupid here is more proof “Williams, who is seeking $10 million in punitive damages on top of $40 million in real damages.” LOL that is an absurd amount of money that he does not deserve for not being able to attend one football game.

25. letsworkitout says:

While the amount is absurd the practice he is upset about is equally absurd. It shouldn’t be up to a team to discriminate who they sell tickets to. It was a low move by the Hawks.

26. Ray_Maines says:

Nonsense! Any given franchise can sell, or not sell tickets to anybody they please. This isn’t a civil rights issue or anything like that. This is a team that’s doing it’s home town fans a big favor by not selling tickets to scalpers.

For all we know, the guy in Las Vegas might have been planning to sell his tickets to Seahawk fans for ten times the face price.

27. DanielleMND says:

Whiners gonna whine.

28. This is a practice used by many franchises.

29. MoSeahawk12 says:

Broncos did this as well. They blocked other AFC rivals fan states from purchasing tickets. They do it every year.

30. Great article on the ability of Lynch to be effective from any formation and with any personnel.

31. Ray_Maines says:

I’ve been watching video of the Superbowl season and game all afternoon, and I’m Totally impressed with Jermaine Kerse and not so impressed with Golden Tate. Doug Baldwin is somewhere in the middle.

I’m sure the Seahawks did the right thing letting GT go to the Lions. He’ll put up bigger numbers in Detroit, but Seattle is better off with JK, DB, a healthy Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin and a draft choice than they would have been with him.

OMG! The four man rush was awesome!!

The starting O-Line was really pretty good when they were able to play. Good luck Bailey & Bowie. I might still buy a #68 jersey.

RW was going through marriage difficulties and still played the way he did in the playoffs and SB? It sucks to be in a bad marriage, but I’m looking forward to his play next year.

Looking forward to the draft. Only 2.6 weeks to go.

32. Macabrevity says:

Williams was said to be a Hawk’s fan when this story first broke…now he’s suddenly a niner? Bad journalism, or else he’s trying the lawsuit from separate angles to increase his chances….

33. HawkFromDay1 says:

Eh… file this under JS/PC taking a flier on someone.

LenDale White, Mike Williams, Kellen Winslow… Jeff Ireland’s hire extends the YOLO philosophy to the front office.