Afternoon links: Can there be too much football?

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 25, 2014 at 3:23 pm with 37 Comments »
April 25, 2014 3:23 pm

The answer around here about that question seems a quick and unequivocal “no.”

It’s beginning to become a consideration, however. Everything has its saturation point.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is considering expanding the draft to four days. He’s also considering expanding the playoffs to 14 teams this season.

The NFL has continually stretched the league calendar, and this would be more of that. Goodell said in those same conversations that’s he unsure if the draft will remain this late in the offseason or again be in April.

One unnamed general manager complained about the two-week lull to Pro Football Talk, saying the downtime was not good for the league.

As for the playoffs, Goodell told NFL.com that the league’s research shows no issues with playoff expansion.

“We believe that through all of our analysis we haven’t found anything negative about it,” Goodell said. “We think there are positives to it with respect to competitiveness of our races.”

Major League Baseball made the same argument when it expanded the playoffs: more teams in the race equals more interest, which equals more revenue. But, they were also a product looking for a jolt, not the No. 1 sport in the country.

Two lines of thinking here: if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it, which is countered by a reasonable consideration to progressively expand while on top.

Playoff expansion, which will be discussed at the Spring League Meeting in Atlanta on May 20, seems inevitable. Perhaps another day of the draft is, too.

Soon, we’ll know if the NFL train can just keep going or if audiences will become worn out.

Links:

> Richard Sherman was named to Time’s list of the 100 most influential people.

> The updated mock draft from Bucky Brooks, who previously worked for the Seahawks as a regional scout, has Seattle taking Morgan Moses, an offensive tackle from Virginia.

> From the San Francisco Chronicle: Aldon Smith won’t be charged with a felony in the LAX case. San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke said he hopes Smith will be with the 49ers through 2018.

> Weekend notes from MMQB: Jim Harbaugh and Baalke deny a power struggle in San Francisco.

> Is a Vegan trend hitting the NFL? (Not that I can see in the Seahawks’ lockerroom, unless McDonald’s is serving Vegan meals now).

1. Southendzone says:

Good topic! One thing I don’t get about the late draft is how everyone says the league is doing it to make more $$.

Mechanically, I don’t get how this is supposed to make more money for the league. Stretching out the length of the draft to multiple days and putting it in prime time rather than weekends, sure that makes sense, more viewers for a longer period.

However, holding it in May rather than April, how do you monetize this? Whenever you have it, the same people are going to watch.

2. SandpointHawk says:

How about if they spread the draft out over four days??? Would you still watch?

3. How does Aldon Smith get away with so much? Seriously, does the DA in California have 49er season tickets. a normal person would be looking at some very hard time upstate if they did half of what Aldon has been “accused” of.

At some point RG needs to step into action, and quit letting super stars tarnish the image and shield of the NFL. Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, but I guess hard hits are a bigger problem than players getting popped for would be felonies if they didn’t rush the QB really good.

4. montanamike2 says:

I know right! SF can get away with anything, they probably pin everything on the kid who works at the concession stand.

5. They make $$$$ because now they make a bigger deal about the schedule and having even longer specials on it on their network.

6. He probably didn’t get charged because the Tsa agent over reacted. I dislike the Niners too but it is hard for me to ever side with a TSA agent. Those people can tend to be Richards.

7. No. There can’t be too much football. Duh.

What else is there?

8. I like the idea of the #1 seed being the only team that gets a first round bye (i.e. adding an extra play-off team).

I would be okay with an 18 week regular season *IF* there were still only 16 games. Each team would have two byes.

In the process, I believe stupidity from the schedule should be eliminated (such as having a bye and then your next game is on a Monday night).

I also don’t believe there needs to be four meaningless pre-season games. I think they only need two of them. Each team would lose one pre-season home date (which season ticket holders would love, imo) but teams would make up for the lost revenue by there being one extra week of “real” tv revenue with the 18th week (again, with the same [16] amound of regular season games).

9. They tried 2 bye weeks back in 1993 but found the weekly lineup was too watered down. It would probably be worse now with the additional Thursday night games.

10. chuck_easton says:

And it should be noted that if the league went to an 18 game regular season it would mean that the pre-season would only be 2 games.

People forget that when the league played a 14 game regular season there were 6 pre-season games. So 20 games a year has pretty much been in place since the 70’s.

Only the number of games that ‘count’ has changed.

11. DanielleMND says:

Yes, there can be too much football. Not in terms of actual games, but in terms of other stuff. Like the draft. Stretching it out to 4 days would be absurd.

12. Southendzone says:

Can there be too much baseball? Yes, try watching 1 at bat, much less 162 games.

13. I don’t think anyone is advocating an 18 week/game schedule. In fact, I think most players/fans hate the idea.

14. I’m actually watching the Dodgers game right now and I find baseball the most fascinating sport of them all (I just don’t have a favorite team) in terms of being able to critically think about situations/strategy and things of that nature. It may seem boring to some and that’s fine, but it’s certainly not a “boring” sport for anyone who likes to think about situations and strategy in the game. It’s like me watching basketball or soccer. I’m sure there’s strategy, but I’m too stupid to know what it is and I think it’s because I could care less about it.

15. Southendzone says:

Seems to me the best strategy is to get a hit. The best players fail at this more than 2/3 of the time. If you have watched the Mariners, they fail damn near 80% of the time.

Then maybe once every few games, a team can really employ strategy to get something done based on score, runners or whatever.

If i want to watch 4 hours of failure, i will pull out my box of old school work.

16. lol

If I had a favorite team like I do with football and it was a team like the Padres, Mariners, Twins, etc. it would most definitely suck to watch a team that sucks that often. Ugh!!!

17. “Stretching it out to 4 days would be absurd.”

make that ab-effin-surd… 4 days for the freakin draft.. are you kiddin me??

Just make it 15 rounds and a week long.. smh

18. As for 2 or 4 preseason games… How would RW have fared with only 2 preseason games?

19. Actually, the NFL should go with a 10 game NFL schedule so they can have a 10 game pre-season. LOL!!!

20. Macabrevity says:

They are definitely in danger of over-saturation in my opinion. It’s one thing for fans like us to over-obsess about details in the off-season, it’s entirely another for them to completely ruin the magic of Thanksgiving with a whole slate of extra Thursday games, or to water down the importance of the regular season with expanded play-offs, or to stretch the season out to the point that depth beats out star power. The talking heads with their off-season non-stories aren’t the problem so much, although there are times when it becomes more than a little ridiculous; Favre retiring and so on…

21. Actually I think that Favre is coming back. Isn’t he?

22. Macabrevity says:

Bobby, with expanded playoffs, the regular season becomes the pre-season, and pre-season becomes what they term a ‘friendly’ in football in the rest of the world. That means we can look forward to a 16 and eventually 18 game pre-season.

When will they get on board with the HFL? Halftime Football League? They can play going sideline to sideline between the 30’s with 7 on 7 and 2 minute quarters…. that’s one idea that would actually be kinda cool.

Will Russell Wilson hook up with his former College teammate?

Hopefully he will fall to us in round 4, but I’m not holding my breath.

24. confucious says:

Funny southendzone! That’s just how I feel. It’s more fun to watch paint dry.

25. I wish Goodell would STOP tinkering. A 4 day draft is a bad idea. The new format already drags it out too long. Am I the only one who misses the old format? I used to love waking up early on Saturday morning, brewing a pot of coffee, turning on ESPN to see the early morning pre-draft coverage, and then spending the day watching rounds 1-3. It was like Christmas day for an adult. From a business perspective, I get why they moved it to primetime, but as a fan, really miss the old draft experience.

26. montanamike2 says:

Football will be ruined if they overdo it. A few tweaks here and there every year is enough, why over saturate us to the point that it’s not interesting anymore? The squeeze for more $ is going to sink the Titanic.

27. seahawk44 says:

TJ1….I am with you on that old draft day experience.

28. HawkfaninMT says:

Interesting hire if Jeff Ireland… Is he hired to the position vacated by McLoughlan?

I can’t help but think of how he tore the Dolphins down… Not that JS would let him do that here. Interesting nonetheless

Interesting hire.
    Why would the SeaHawks hire Ireland as a draft consultant when he has a bad history with Miami drafting 2nd & 3rd round picks?

Maybe he is better at 4-7.

Lol HawkfaninMT.

31. Ray_Maines says:

The current state of NFL football reminds me of the stock market in early 1999, when everybody in the country totally believed it would continue to go up everyday forever. Then it didn’t. It balanced at the top for a week or two then crashed.

There is a tipping point. We don’t exactly know where it is, but there is one. The NFL’s popularity can, and I think WILL, crash just like the dot com stocks did. RG seems hell bent to expand and devour everything in sight and that greed will force him past the tipping point.

In the meantime, Go ‘Hawks!

32. I agree 100%…

“The current state of NFL football reminds me of the stock market in early 1999, when everybody in the country totally believed it would continue to go up everyday forever.”

33. I don’t watch the draft anymore precisely because it’s boring as hell since they spread it out so much. Back in the day when round one was over within four hours or so, give or take, and you got three rounds for watching ten hours of TV, well, I usually watched the whole damn thing with some breaks for chores and other stuff. Now I just read articles on the Internet after the fact and couldn’t be bothered… I typically don’t watch a minute of coverage on the network.

The longer the draft runs the less likely I am to watch any of it.

I do miss the Saturday and Sunday draft weekends as well. That said, the prime time 1st round is actually pretty fun, but I too would hate to see it spread out any longer.

35. After all this hot air and speculation in the off season you really have to be a sad case to watch the draft live. For what? So you can consume some more filler hot air and speculation? Do something fun with your family or friends, then just read the list of draft choices after it’s over.

The only thing worse than watching the draft live would be watching the contrived cliche drama about it called “Draft Day”.