NFL schedule to be announced today

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on April 23, 2014 at 1:32 am with 50 Comments »
April 23, 2014 1:33 am

As they always do, the NFL Network will be turning a piece of news into a three-hour television special.

Tonight, that news will be the full NFL schedule. The schedule is expected to be released at 5 p.m. We already know the Seahawks’ opponents for 2014:

Home
San Francisco, St. Louis, Arizona, Denver, Dallas, Green Bay, New York Giants and Oakland.

Road
San Francisco, St. Louis, Arizona, Carolina, Washington, Philadelphia, Kansas City and San Diego.

I hope we get San Francisco for the first game.
    It would be great to send an early message that we rule the west.
    It will also be interesting to see if we get the Rams for the last game of the year again.

2. I doubt they play SF or Denver for the Thursday night opener. I think they would save both of those for later when the playoff picture is showing.
    I think Arizona would be a great story. They are the only team to beat Seattle at home since Russell Wilson arrived, and the only team to win 10 games without making the playoffs.

3. chuck_easton says:

It will be the Giants. The NFL wants that East Coast viewing audience.

4. Ray_Maines says:

NYG week one at the CLink would work for me.

I’d like to see Seattle play in SF’s first home game in the new stadium, especially without Bowman and Smith.

5. montanamike2 says:

I hope Pryor is more flexible with his role, otherwise we can turn a late 7th rounder into something more when a team gets desperate after their QB goes down. He might be groomed to be the backup QB after TJ’s contract is up, a good backup is hard to get,(nearly impossible) near the end of the 7th round. I still think that big receiver from the CFL might be another steal. I’m glad Pete and John are locked up for a while.

6. TallyHawk says:

I would like either SF or Den for the opener but agree with chuck that the nfl will want to make the game relevant to the east coast. Most likely going to be the giants followed by the cowboys or maybe packers.

7. montanamike2 says:

There has to be some kind of disciplinary action in Whiner land after all their off field issues. They’re talented but the chemistry is bad.

8. montanamike2 says:

I’d be fine opening a can of whoop ass on the Giants for the opener.

9. montanamike2 says:

Nothing happened last year after Brooks and Smith’s incidents last year, how is that even possible?

10. vichawkfan says:

Fail Mary part deux

11. You guys with the East Coast insecurities realize the Seahawks are the most popular team in the NFL right now in a bunch of metrics (tv ratings, jersey sales, Google searches)?

People either love em or hate em.

It’s well deserved. The team is great and intriguing. This isn’t the 00 Holmgren teams which were neither.

The East coast viewers don’t want to see a crappy game even if it’s the Giants playing.

The NFL is smart enough to know that if you match up two of the best teams in the NFL you will get high ratings no matter what part of the country they are from.
    Super Bowl 48 is a good example. The Seattle/Denver match up set an all time Super Bowl viewing record despite both teams being from the West.
    The South Alaska talk no longer applies to the Seahawks imo.
    The secret is out!

Go Hawks!!!

13. grizzly1969 says:

I think it will be Green Bay. Good ratings plus a healthy Aaron Rodgers blah blah blah. I HOPE it’s the Cowboys. Putting a beat down on Jerry’s kids to start the season would be a lot of fun.

14. FleaFlicker says:

Dallas at home to start the season, then an away game against SF (with us having ten days of preparation) and a chance to spoil their inaugural game in Levi stadium or whatever it’s called….that’s about the perfect way to kick things off. Here’s hoping.

Also, I’d like to see Oakland and NYG home games on December. Get some wins when it matters most. Our road schedule is incredibly difficult. Four of five non-division opponents made the playoffs in 2013. I’m thinking our over/under for wins is 11.

On second thought it could be beneficial to play San Francisco on the road early this season while they have a few good players MIA.

16. CDHawkFan says:

As others have pointed out, new stadiums usually open in week 1. The NFL Champs usually open at home. So it won’t be San Fran vs Seattle week 1, and week 2 won’t be the opener in San Fran’s new stadium.

I just need to prepare myself that the next time I see my Hawks they won’t look as good as they did in the last game. I still can’t believe how good they looked in The Bowl.

17. How could it not be green Bay in my opinion.

18. I’m betting on Green Bay. I don’t want SF as I think both teams will benefit by having more time off before game 2. For that reason, I’d rather have Denver since they are in the AFC and I don’t care if they get the extra rest benefit.

19. Green Bay – Dallas or NYG are my thoughts I think GB

last meeting was epic – Aaron Rodgers healthy – Up and coming QB trying to become best – great story line.

Denver I think is unlikely – CBS will want that game and if it goes on Opening day they lose it. also – I don’t know that the NFL wants the last game (SB) and first game to be the same. Takes some of the intrigue away I think.

20. Southendzone says:

if I was scheduling it for the best game possible, I’d put on SF/SEA. That is the best rivalry and the 2 best, toughest teams in the league by a ways right now.

It’s a proving ground, the team that comes out of that game with a W has been tested and will be ready to dominate the rest of the season.

That’s why the Hawk players knew they were going to kick ass in the SB after they survived the NFC champ game.

21. HawkFromDay1 says:

Hawks v Niners for opening day seems like a waste. Everyone will watch opening day no doubt so why waste the best match up in the NFL on week 1?

Save that blood bath for the doldrums of week 7 or something.

22. HawkfaninMT says:

Last year the 1st game was rematch of the AFC Championship I think?

So just because Niners-Hawks will draw a big audience doesn’t mean they won’t do it!

23. chuck_easton says:

pabs,

Not East Coast insecurity at all. Just television ratings reality.

1. Where is the largest percentage of the population located?
    2. What time will this game start? 8PM East Coast time 5PM local.
    3. Why? Most live television is programmed to the Eastern Time Zone to ensure the most possible viewers.
    4. The game is on a weekday night. The game likely will not end until close to 11PM Eastern Time Zone.
    5. Why would people in the East stay up that late to watch Seattle play Arizona?
    6. If it isn’t going to be SF (they want to open in their shiny new stadium, not on the road) and it isn’t going to be Denver (afraid of another blowout), then it will be a team that is more relevant on the National (or East Coast) level. Giants, Dallas, or Packers.

I say Giants because that gets the NY viewership. Just as easily could be the Packers. Big national following and the NFL could ‘sell’ the idea of the replay of the ‘Fail Mary’.

24. The Seahawks now have a national following like the 49ers of the 80s.

This isn’t a regional team anymore.

25. MikeFromNewJersey says:

@Pabuwal.. Agreed- you and I witnessed this at both the Giants game in December and of course the super bowl. I couldn’t believe how many 12’s were at these games. In years past It seemed like I was the only one there.

26. chuck_easton says:

Seattle doesn’t have the following you would think, pabs.

There are still people outside of the PNW that couldn’t name 2 players on the squad. There are still people that think Wilson is a ‘game manager’ and not a great QB.

If this game was Seattle against the Raiders there would be no viewership outside of the PNW and the Bay Area. Seattle alone doesn’t draw. The game has to be against an opponent that will excite the viewing masses.

Dallas, on the other hand, could be playing the Jaguars and the national ratings would be high.

So, I can assure you, as someone who doesn’t live in the PNW any longer, that the nation may know Seattle won the SB, they may know Seattle has a good Defense, and they may know Lynch. But the knowledge and viewership stops there.

Seattle is getting a lot of air time on NFLN and such because they are the defending SB Champions. Not because anybody East of the Mississippi gives a rats patuty about anything Seahawk related.

27. Southendzone says:

I don’t buy that you capture the East Coast market by picking an East Coast team. That’s like saying us Seahawk fans would have loved to watch Oakland vs Baltimore for the kick-off game last year.

Maybe I’m an a-typical NFL fan, but my priorities for watching a game are:
    1) My team
    2) Good teams
    3) Teams in division

I don’t get fired to watch a crappy team that happens to be geographically closer to me than a good team.

That’s why I don’t think NYG are a good choice regardless of East Coast or market size. They suck.

Dallas is a decent choice, Green Bay is a great choice.

28. chuck_easton says:

But I do agree with Mike. It’s great to see the 12’s starting to travel! That has always been the story for the Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys.

I remember 2005. It might as well have been a home game for Pittsburgh.

I’m still not sure how much of this new phenomenon is Seattle fans traveling TO the games and how much is Seattle getting more fans from other areas.

Time will tell.

29. chuck_easton says:

Case in point. Here in Calgary we get our FOX affiliate out of Spokane. So, of Course, we see every Seahawks game. Great for me!

What are the favorite NFL teams here in Calgary?

In Order:

SF
    NE
    Packers
    Dallas
    Pittsburgh
    Chicago

30. Top selling jerseys from April 1, 2013-Feb. 28, 2014

1. Wilson
    5. Lynch
    6. Sherman

That’s amazing for any team, much less a West Coast team.

31. Seattle VS Green Bay would be great opener – if Golden Tate were still here.

32. chuck_easton says:

pabs,

I agree that things are getting better for Seattle. But quite a bit of that has to do with being SB Champs. Seattle doesn’t make the playoffs this year and it’s right back to being irrelevant.

It isn’t East Coast Bias, and it isn’t East Coast paranoia. It is simple math. More viewers bring better ratings. The majority of the viewers are in the East to NE of the US.

I’m happy for the notoriety Seattle is getting right now.

Seattle is somewhat in the same position as the Raiders of the 70’s, the 49rs of the 80’s, and NE in the first decade of this Century. They are loved or hated. Nothing in between.

33. The Rise in Seattle’s popularity actually started in 2012 with Russell Wilson’s arrival. The jerseys were big sellers during the 2013 regular season. Wilson was 3 (as well as 2012), Lynch was 11 and Sherman was 19.

But to your original point, a bad Giants or Jets teams isn’t going to draw ratings just because they are in population centers. The only team that draws regardless of performance is Dallas. And this was because the franchise had a long history of winning. I will buy the argument a similar caliber team in a population center will out draw a similar team in a non population center.

The Seahawks greatest claim to fame was beating up on a bad division and then going to get pounded on the road. They started to establish greatness last year and as it continues they will become one of the NFLs glory franchises.

34. Looking at the match-ups since the opening game was implemented in 2002.

Over the past 12 years, inter-conference happened only once (in 2003). Rule out Oakland.

Over the past 12 years, intra-division only happened twice. Rule out Ari, StL, and SF.

That leaves NYG, Dal, and GB. All three teams have played in the opener at some point over the past 3 years. So, rule them 3 out.

That leaves nobody.

We’re all just guessing. Mine is GB.

35. montanamike2 says:

Good post WiscCory.

36. BuckyDent says:

It’s the first NFL game in 6 months, if it was Cleveland vs Atlanta I would still watch. I think you folks are over thinking trying to draw regions with a favorable matchup.

My guess is the Cardinals, the networks love to fawn over Arians, they had a big off season, just missed out on the playoffs last season, AND were the only team to beat Seattle in the RW era.

37. I’m jumping on the Packers for opening day opponent bandwagon.

38. chuck_easton says:

But we are all missing the big picture here! We are arguing, debating, discussing, and hand wringing over what team the SB Champion Seattle Seahawks are going to play on the opening night of the 2014 season!

Really it could be Sister Mary’s School For the Tragically Gifted and I wouldn’t care!

The NFL is coming to Seattle to open the season! The viewing public is going to watch the Seahawks raise that SB Champions banner.

I’m good…

39. I could care less who we play on opening day, so long as we whup their asses!

40. Southendzone says:

Exactly Chuck! Remember what Bennett said during the Superbowl on Sound FX

“We’re the best ever, we’d even beat the Greek Gods”

BRING ON THE GREEK GODS FOR WEEK 1!

41. Week 1 is against NYG, GB or Dallas and I think NYG is the frontrunner. Those that argue the Seahawks are national are deluding themselves. Guess which OTA camp ESPN was at this week? Seattle? No. Denver? Yes.

You don’t bust out the best game on the schedule (SF) in week 1, and you don’t bust out two small to mid size market teams either. You go with a middling team with a lot of name recognition. NYG or Dallas. Mark it down.

42. vichawkfan says:

Giants Nov 9th.

43. SandpointHawk says:

Green Bay may be small to mid size TV market but they have a large national following…I’m with the Green Bay prognosticators…

44. Southendzone says:

What in the holy hell is going on today? RW and his wife are divorcing according to statement released by Seahawks

45. SandpointHawk says:

Yep the Wilson Divorce is all over the net. Must not be football related TNT?